Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Fifth Invasion Judging Category | Setup

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
A relatively common way to start wars since the dawn of Chaos has been to make up some offense, attack, or otherwise SLIGHT as a casus beli. Like jon says, I think its a great start that allows overall faction narrative to contribute to the end of the thread. What gets lost in a lot of invasions threads I think is that these threads are essentially battles, one step along the way of the narrative that ultimately gains the winner the hex (or neutralizes it) and that these are also likewise, a part of ongoing wars and conflicts that aren't just focused on the planet where all of our characters are when we write.

But maybe then, instead of a 5th permanent category, maybe shift it towards this idea becoming its own Mandate? if only because if a faction has the new Fleet mandate and this went through that's six factors for judges to take in. This way also the weakness for defenders isn't as much of a concern

Biggest problem I personally have is this reads like a hard flex for NIO’s way of doing Invasions. Take out the suggestion and you have a positive faction feedback thread. Invasions can be done many ways, and VCs can be won in different ways.

Second biggest problem is your third counterpoint - I agree, it does benefit the Invaders, heavily. Victory Conditions are unbiased, they have to be, and often very open to RPJ interpretation. This suggestion leaves from a bird’s eye view little room for interpretation- it reads and appears as more “checks in boxes.”

Doms are the culture of the grind I want to fight against, not a victory condition that incentivizes development threads for Invasions.

if they're watching anyways
Gilamar Skirata Gilamar Skirata if it becomes a mandate, still could have the problem of six categories for judging -- but I understand, which is in part why I'm now thinking that making preparation part of the Story category would be ideal.

Tefka Tefka I get it; I do have my own biases and I think NIO has a good faction narrative and good writers. I can also see how this might lead to an inundation of threads involving preparation for the invasion, though I assume that the RPJs would be able to pick out what was just fluff and what had real narrative weight/pertained to the themes in the actual invasion.

I'm not a big fan of the dom grind either. Invasions have always been more interesting, to me at least -- I want those big, important threads to keep being big and important and interesting. Whatever form that takes, I'm game.

I didn't mean for the category to come across as checking off the boxes; again, I was hoping for more of a tension/story model with linked highlights and summaries as a kind of prologue.

Do you think folding this into Story, as a kind of optional prologue section, would be better?

We all fall in parallel
I'd personally say that those things (read: accountability, consequences) aren't the burden of staff to implement. People have always handwaved and ignored, and will continue to do so. It's up to the writerbase to breed a culture that sees those things positively.

Personally I think this is something that would be kind of redundant as from the invasion threads I've read, the initial intro post almost always provides a...TLDR (for lack of a better term) background as to the reason of the invasion. I don't think there's much of a reason to require a judging category for this since even if we were to judge it, it'd be nested under Story anyways.

Shadow Hand
Top Poster Of Month
Invasions should be judged solely on the content within a single thread tagged 'Invasion'.

The RPJ's have their hands full as it is judging an invasion. It shouldn't be judged based on content that comes leading up to the thread. While the pre game fluff is a nice touch to stories, and factions have done a good job at doing so. I don't believe it should become a fifth invasion category to judge. In addition. Why do we need an invasion category to incentivize doing pre game content to an invasion thread? That's the way it reads. The best pre invasion content is the kind of stuff that's organically done with writers that have muse for a good story. It shouldn't become a forced category for invasions that every faction has to do. Every faction has their own method of preparing for invasions and they should be free to decide whether or not set up is in the cards for them. It should be done for the writers benefit whether or not it interests them, making a fifth invasion category makes it feel forced. Those who choose not to do them shouldn't be penalized for deciding to take a different direction, it was their choice creatively.

Suggestion?

Be the change in your factions. Get your people involved in pushing out this sort of content and if you want to see more of it reach out to your friends and get them involved in pre game content. If you want to do some pre invasion fun work with your contemporaries across the board. I can definitely say it will be far more enjoyable for everyone involved if its voluntary, not obligated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom