Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factions (And How to Kill Them)

Gerwald Lechner Gerwald Lechner Grab the mandate that gives you 5 doms and it will take a few months, not a year. Not to mention those splinter factions several CIS staffers have started building wouldn't have needed a year either. But, effort and unwillingness.

And you're absolutely right, I did mention that to you several times. But AoC is a very different beast than what I pitched back in 2018 (though it very much, until this morning, was still a single hex faction) so if you want to use some musings from back then as a counter argument? Weird, but your prerogative.

And yes - AoC has been invalidated as a result of this move. Single hex factions are no longer permitted. We can go minor and come back, or go nomad, both of which would force us into having three hexes again. That's not even pretend effort, just ridiculous bs'ing.

I would also recommend we do not get into the corner of what we've been holding our tongues about.

Relationship Status: It's Complicated
Scherezade deWinter Scherezade deWinter

For the CIS sure, but what about the TSE? How about the SJO? What about the Brynadul?

As I said this isn’t about the AOC or CIS. This isn‘t about you.

Side Note: I am only attempting to point out that this isn’t the first time rules have been changed based on issues or loopholes. You can see that it was mentioned in 2018, before anything was made, that Valiens stated: "As for the question, yes you'd need to be an adjacent hex.

If that happened? It's not occurred before so we'd have to consider it if it ever happened. It's a very unlikely prospect though."

I am attempting to be as civil as I can be. I understand that you might feel like the new rules aren't a perfect/fair fix, but, that's why these threads exist. We can talk about it here with other possible solutions too. Like this one. This is constructive and helpful to the community as a whole. It's a difficult time...But from one member of Faction Staff to another I would appreciate it if the snark or salt could be left to the wayside.

Gerwald Lechner Gerwald Lechner How about you try asking the SJO or TSE if they want to invade us? If we wanted to invade their capital, we'd have to dom to them or nomad to them (in the case of TSE, for SJO this wouldn't work). But no one's going to change the rules for that. Not to mention that several of you, and you as well, have tried to meddle with our stuff from the background since before we even went major.

Also please stop word laundering at me.

I asked my staff members not to comment on this in fear that it would come off as a bias response, but as our name keeps being mentioned, I feel the need to defend their hard work.

SJO is old, it's the oldest. Yes, I know.

But the member base was wiped in the Jan site reset-- I've earned that second place status through my hard work. I don't recruit. To the degree that people APPROACH me and say "you know you really should."

I let my story do the talking and I make space for anyone interested. Every faction that's asked to play has gotten an unreserved yes from me.

Even our influence cloud is newer than most of the older factions-- remember the cloud move? I've gotten no hand me downs from the faction being old-- in fact I only get its shit and baggage. I would appreciate it if people could stop carelessly dismissing my community's hard work. At least look at the facts first.

Everyone has their writing style, everyone likes to write different things. Politics, slice of life, wars, cowboys with sabers, genocide-- there's something for everyone. It's why the site is doing so well. Stop devaluing someone else's preferences because it's not your own.

I've seen a lot of that in this thread and frankly I'm disappointed. That will not rise this site up. And it will not make anyone comfortable writing with you.

This thread is a concept worth talking about, but saying that someone is old and therefor deserves to die is a shallow statement that fails to look deeper into the situation at hand. Let's change that.

Last edited:
Watching Ra Vizsla Ra Vizsla in this thread like

5fsuvevh8t131.jpg

I feel like I should say something on subject, so

No amount of rules will stop people from being jerks about things they have become too attached to. Some people will always be too invested in their hexes no matter how easy you make them to get or how often Staff takes them away.

I'm not sure what you mean by word laundering, but, I'll try not to.

In my opinion, which, could be wrong - You're still missing the point. It's not about you. It's not about any one faction. This is about what is best for the site overall and a potential abuse that existed which shouldn't have. It was changed for the same reason that the ally rules were suspended. Changes to the rules are coming. We may not always like them. Next time, it might be something that affects other factions in a way they don't prefer.

You very well may have the integrity not to run away when approached, however, others may not. It's not about factions immediately choosing to do something in this exact moment. It's the fact that IF they decided to - There was no viable way to stop that. There was no way for IC actions to lead to IC consequences. We can argue for days about the sematics but in the end...It's not just about us. Rule changes don't come about just because "someone doesn't like something" or disagrees with the method. They come about as to what is believed to currently be within the best interests of the site and the community. Let's work on solutions.

Which the current rule set gives. You can still be a one hex major if you wish. You just have to defend your hex, which is fair. If you succeed you get to take a hex, and if you’re smart about it cause a cloud break as a result. Also did you stop to think that the site staff waited for the invasion to be over before announcing, and gave 30 days before it takes effect... because maybe they’re trying to be fair. Site staff is not the enemy here.

I also don't know what you mean by meddling, but, this is also going off topic. I find a lot of what Kyra Perl Kyra Perl has mentioned to hold weight.

25 days, not 30.

And no, we can't. Sure, we can keep defending our single hex. We might even win the first time... Maybe the second... Sooner or later, we will lose. Which is fine, because losses happen. And then after 60 days, we'd be forced to return with 3 hexes. Since hex factions are, de facto, not a thing anymore. All those worries mentioned the last time it came about regarding other factions doing it? Still hasn't happened. Not a single one. There are a lot of words for this but "fair" sure isn't one of them, especially not considering the path that led to it. You don't chop your entire leg off just because you think you might've broken a toe nail. Never said "site staff is the enemy".

If a day comes where a head admin admits that the rules were changed because of your faction and now your entire faction's set up which site staff approved to begin (and even encouraged!) with will then have to change, we'll see if you still try to call it fair.

That's your opinion, which, is fair for you to have. Just because it hasn't happened with other factions doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Those words might not have been spoken but there have been a lot of posts made in this thread that insinuate otherwise. The day very well may come that everyone's faction set up may come into question with a Map Wipe. If it comes down to that - I get it. I may not like it, but, I get it. I never have liked the idea of map wipes.

An entire leg was not removed nor is that really an applicable example. Things are subject to change and as a community we won't always agree. Rather than to keep rehasing the same thing - Can we look at some of the suggestions that have been brought up?

Sidenote: If you want the extra days (Not a complete 30) you could always speak to Site Staff about that. It doesn't seem like a big ask.

A map wipe actually affects everyone on the map so the example isn't applicable. I also wrote some pages ago I believe that a site map won't solve any of the issues on SWRP. Don't put words in my mouth. And believe me, I'm reading every post.

No one said you weren't reading. No one seems to be putting words in your mouth either, so I’m not sure why you seem to see the need to be discourteous and hostile with your replies. It seems like you've misread or missed the intent of what I said.

You're right. A Map Wipe would affect each faction differently, but, there's no ceiling on that. There are some that would have their core shaken just as much for the reasons that have been listed in this thread multiple times. It very well could happen that factions are required to restructure and rebuild should that happen. That's why most people seem to suggest handling it with care.

Take what Carpy said here as an example.

Also I did point out a thread earlier where the CIS was used as an example as to why someone thinks the map game is stagnant and broken.

Regardless... all this is beside the point and off topic.

Melia Siari

M
I'm going to respectfully ignore the other posts in this thread except Zark San Tekka Zark San Tekka 's, because the other quotes pulling from my initial response are being taken out of context.
This kind of mentality is the source of a lot of problems on Chaos with the ruleset right now imo. It goes both ways, by making majors too big to fail in order to safeguard long term effort, the community is tacitly accepting that the only way to engage in a war with real stakes is by forcing drawn out OOC drama with reluctant factions.
That's great, I'm glad we agree that we shouldn't make majors too big to fail. They should be willing to go out before they're a walking corpse.

Trying to burn out those other members by inundating that faction with collaborated invasions with the sole intent of making those writers quit? That is only the fault of the party taking part in that endeavor. The issue has zero to do with not wanting to die as a faction, in fact I'd say the kind of ignorance to the real problem, the problem you are portraying with full irony in your efforts to "solve" whatever problem you perceive to exist in a faction with an active member base wanting to continue to exist.

What is that, you'll ask?

Why, it's a lack of communication, it's a lack of cooperation, it's a lack of respect, it's a lack of a desire to write with other members, and what do these things cause?
  • A faction forms with the intent of getting rid of B faction, they don't write any threads with B faction, they don't even attempt to communication with B faction, except to imply they exist, as their identity, to remove B faction from the map.
  • B faction ignores them, because A faction hasn't approached them for writing, so A faction feels like they have no activity going on besides "boring" dominions, and seek to correct that by immediately launch invasions towards B faction's capital. Still no communication, to be clear, except a clarification on A faction's goal to eliminate B faction. No other threads, nothing except for a few last ditch efforts by B faction when they realize A faction may have wanted to write with them, but didn't know because A faction hadn't communicated this to them.
  • A faction ignores threads, because now they think B faction is just holding on rather than participating in whatever war story A faction wants. B faction, in reaction, simply participates in the invasion while continuing to do their normal faction roleplay, because they're ok with A faction invading them and actually enjoy the invasions - while A faction thinks they're actually burning B faction out, which isn't the case.
  • A faction, realizing this isn't going to be a quick one-and-done invasion, talks to a couple other faction leaders via discord, or over board PM, and paints the idea of a coalition against this faction as being cool as an idea - and even B faction would have probably enjoyed the idea, were it communicated to them - but A faction doesn't bring this up with B faction, and the next day, after the first invasion ends, another faction invades - and then another.
  • Suddenly B faction is diverting all of attention to these strings of invasions, forgetting about their dominions, while doing a few faction threads in the time they find available to them - 1000 posts in 30 days, but A faction still thinks B faction is stagnating.
  • As A faction realizes that an active faction isn't going to die because they can invade back, or grow, or move, or any other thing they start feeling the effects of putting all of this effort solely into the idea of burning out B faction. B faction still isn't tired, because they don't care about their dominions and are enjoying, for the most part, the invasions.
  • A faction members start to get unhappy with the system in place, because they thought they'd get rid of B faction in a few short months, instead B faction is still around and have only lost one invasion so far, and in fact are gaining members. A faction, and possibly other factions involved, start to think they shouldn't need to feel bad about trying to burn out B faction, so they try to push those writers in that faction to make the faction die from the inside.
  • After an indeterminate time later, A faction dies after members lose interest in the faction because either B faction no longer exists, or because B faction used their loss in war to change who they are and their identity as a major faction into something new while A faction is stuck as the faction built to kill something that isn't even there anymore.
That chain of events, right there, that's what the problem is.

It is "A Factions" fault for engaging in a community role-playing forum without actually trying to be a part of the community - for not communicating their desire to write, by not compromising with an idea they have, by not accepting they won't always get everything their way the moment they want it.

This blatant desire to change how writers behave, and to reshape the rules of the site, so that you can make a faction you don't like, or you feel isn't relevant, disappear from the map is the problem. It isn't that the faction doesn't want to go away while it has an active writer base, it isn't because it takes a "long time" to kill a faction.

Bury your head in the sand all you like, but you're only seeing things from the perspective granted to you by someone who isn't even in a faction you think should be off the map. It would be like if I made a discussion about giving writers the ability to kill other writer's characters before they were ready to do so just because I think they've been around long enough and I want to see new characters crop up, and then admit to doing as much as I could to make the writer quit because I feel they're at fault for not being done with a concept they feel there's still more they can do with.

Not every big faction is the original Galactic Alliance, where it existed from its conception as a faction to eliminate another faction and then fell apart the moment that goal was reached because there wasn't any other stories to tell besides "boring" dominions. Yeah, the old/original Galactic Alliance is an excellent example of a faction that realized this inevitability and the course it was on to do a collaborative event with other factions on the board to go out with a bang, but that doesn't change the fact that it was already withering away.

Applying for the major is supposed to come with risk. Any territory you gain can be contested. Have things fallen so far that we've forgotten that? Just like you aren't going away the people who are here to tell those kind of big pvp stories about toppling empires aren't going away. This is basically giving them two choices, get called an nerf herder in backrooms by the other side or leave the site. "If you don't like the drama just leave us alone" is a Jen'ari level argument and it's dismaying to see it voiced by a TSE rep of all people.
lol. I am actually not sure how to respond to this if you genuinely think I am telling people not to invade the Sith Empire.

So in the interest of not assuming the worst and hoping this is just a genuine misunderstanding, I'll explain:
  • The Sith Empire is happy with the invasions we're going through.
  • The Sith Empire has story lines planned for a loss of Bastion, or a successful turnaround in this 'war' that you seem to think we're not happy about.
  • The Sith Empire is not happy with the way people are framing us as a stagnant mess that has no activity, or whatever it is you think we are.
  • The Sith Empire is fully prepared for a loss at Bastion that will see a significant change in the faction from the top down, full internal strife and all that. We aren't going to just relocate and keep doing the same stuff as we have been doing.
I am not telling anyone to leave us alone, I'm saying that if you actually think that you (not you specifically, but someone reading this) feel that you are burning out another faction, and you're doing it on purpose, then you need to take a step back and say "should I approach this faction and see if this is the case, and maybe pursue temporary avenues of role-play?" rather than "this faction should just get off the map already, I am tired of burning out these writers"; especially if the faction in question is fully accepting of whatever fate may be coming their way.

I am disappointed that my idol of a faction owner is the person who is taking my words out of context and assuming the worst in me without actually asking me to clarify whatever you were confused by. I'm not explaining the full extent of what story avenues the Sith Empire will explore in the event we lose Bastion, or in the event that we push the NIO back, because our faction is still only one invasion done out of many and it's too early to come to a conclusion on what we'll do moving forward just yet.

All I can say is, I've mentioned a few things to the faction invading us, or at least their faction owner, and I have tried to find a story avenue that works for both factions. Per your own words, it goes both ways. I can't do for other factions what they aren't willing to do for themselves. The Sith Empire, under the name it is currently or any other name it might take in the future, intends to use the war storyline as the start of a newer faction direction and identity change, that isn't something that has been disclosed to the factions invading us because they haven't asked.

I understand the value of months of hard work and there is a sense of pride in accomplishment that goes beyond simple ego, but the people who like war are here to stay and according to the rules we have agreed to OOC hellwar is the unofficial method of effecting true map change. You get what you pay for.
Yeah, and I'm here for war too. I love invasions, I loved Mygeeto and Muunilist, I even told Irveric Tavlar Irveric Tavlar and Loske Treicolt Loske Treicolt that they gave me one of the most enjoyable duels I've ever had in the history of my time on this website, and I have enjoyed writing with Cyrus Tregessar Cyrus Tregessar and Gilamar Skirata Gilamar Skirata and Kainan Wolfe Kainan Wolfe in our naval engagements with my "fleeting" character.

The only thing I don't like is this idea that a faction should be able to force another faction to be removed from the map because they're unable to comprehend that the faction they want to remove can use the loss of a war to change who and what they are in order to grow. I am happy the Sith Empire is being invaded, and sure, I'd like if there was at least a couple days between invasions in the last 60 days, but I am looking forward to what comes after more than anything. Why? Because I see ways I can turn the loss of a war into a story for a new start for the Sith Empire (or whatever it may turn into at that point), and even if we win I see ways we could change to suit the people who defected from us originally.

That's what Chaos is about, writing cooperatively with other people and adapting to circumstances that constantly change around you. Maybe some people think the Sith Empire is on its way out, or that it should be on its way out, because they think a major faction should go minor rather than evolve into something else, but I think they're wrong.

And, personally, I think you're wrong for agreeing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day, I think its safe to remember that we're all here to experience a story written by us together. When you start to take away someone else's fun, just because you don't like them or because they do something you don't like. Gotta step back and pause - then remember the reason we're all here.
And that's to have fun. I support your post 10000000% and couldn't have said it better myself Melia Siari

At the end of the day, I think its safe to remember that we're all here to experience a story written by us together. When you start to take away someone else's fun, just because you don't like them or because they do something you don't like. Gotta step back and pause - then remember the reason we're all here.

And that's to have fun.

Beautifully said!

Kalanda Tishire

K
So, this will just be my two cents, but I rather like the community here. I've met alot of cool and awesome people who are very open minded and a delight to talk with. My last foray into Star Wars RolePlay was not so pleasant due to things that Melia Siari pointed out, making it into a contest rather becoming part of a community. It became less about making stories with folks and became a contest of 'who can I burn out first'. People became competitive, and made it a contest to see who could burn out one faction faster, until what resulted was one group of people dictating what people could and couldn't do on the site, and both the site and the community was made for the worst of it. I'd rather not see this site fall into a similar rut, because honestly it sucked to be apart of that other community.

This is a writing forum for us to come together and write. We shouldn't try and drive others out or make a contest over things we dislike. I mean, we make up the community and we should contribute to that community by interacting with one another. Maybe I'm just rambling, but that's my input.

Yeah, I'm with Melia Siari & Kalanda Tishire on their takes. My own thoughts being that if a community / faction doesn't feel it's its time to go, and they have map presence (or even without since they can go minor then return) then it simply isn't their time to go. I think I saw some talk earlier on in the thread that sort flows with the whole "everything needs to end at some point" which is true but if -using the TSE situation as example- there are active members who enjoy that faction's narrative, it shouldn't be up to non-faction members to decide otherwise. I've only been here a few months but so far I've enjoyed my character's place / story within TSE as well as the other players. If other people forsake IC logic to create OOC "solutions" for ending another faction via burnout (though from what I'm reading the OOC part isn't too uncommon), I just have to question the real motive there because it seems like narrative is being thrown out the window to this map game that some treat like a highly competitive multiplayer game. All in all I think map game should serve narrative since that's the entire point of RP, not the other way, but this burn em out mentality plays exactly opposite to that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom