Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Interest Check - Anti Force Order Faction

Butch Mahan

Si vis pacem, para bellum
So I have a faction idea for Chaos that I'd like to share and test the waters with. To be blunt, the main idea of the faction is to be a feudal monarchy built solely on to destroy the institutions that are based on the force, and send the force religions into a new dark age. An order for Rogues, Loners, Greys, Exiles, Anti-Force Users, Non-Force Users/Force Users just looking for royal power, Feudalism enthusiasts in general. Other than looking to destroy force orders such as the Sith and Jedi, the [Insert Name Here] also seeks power and authority over parts of the galaxy to create their own sector of the galaxy free of the silly dark side and light side, and dictated by their own laws. The faction is neutral, but isn't the bastion of morality, a faction built to serve themselves with a varying degree of law and order.

To go over what little government there is, I will restate what I have stated previously, and I will delve further into it. The faction is a feudalistic state, with an elective monarchy at its top. Hereditary rule is out the window, from the highest levels to the lowest in its nobility. The next level of royalty is the Viceroys, they are elected by the monarch to serve as a planetary ruler for life, who dedicate a percentage of their taxes, their armies, and their loyalty to the monarch. Under the viceroys, there is only one other level of nobility to keep simplicity and to avoid infighting, the barons. The barons, are elected like the viceroys, to rule over sectors of planetary systems. The role of nobility also serves militarily, in addition to politically. The Monarch is of course, leader of all military forces, the viceroys are the equivalent of Generals and Admirals, and barons Commanders/LT Colonels. There is of course a bureaucracy, but only for reference purposes, unless need for incorporating that as an actual thing to RP in, which I doubt.

Next, lets go into the military aspect of the faction. I may have made it sound a little confusing with the second paragraph, I must apologize, I just came up with the general faction idea today, and I'm still trying to bring everything together. As mentioned earlier, the army/navy is a retinue system rather than a centralized army, but not at all a levy or standing system. So the military is based planetarily, and is loyal to their local ruler, while all are technically loyal to the monarch, technically only a portion is directly loyal, rather than what most of the military is, indirectly loyal through their lords. A standard ranking system, nothing to complicated, but there is one very interesting aspect of the military. Similar to the Samurai system in Japan, force users (And sometimes experienced fighters that aren't force gifted) and nobility, while having authority over ranks lower than them, they are in a separate ranking system that is only achieved through appointment. The benefit of being in this special ranking system* they also have authority over law enforcement and civilians in general.

Now onto the force user elements, which, as I have several times before, have been mentioned earlier. The force users have a special part in the [Insert Name Here], they have a rank similar to nobility in the way that they have authority over essentially anyone who isn't of equivalent rank. They also have their own set of ranks that are loyal to their respective nobles, like the military. There are only four ranks (So far, I actually might add some later, I kinda like this chivalry system of law), Chevalier (Apprentice), Knight (Knight), Knight Errant (Knight again, except this one has no loyalty to one noble/lord, they are only loyal to the monarch/faction) and finally, Paladin (Master).

That kind've sums it up, again, I'm missing a lot of bits and pieces. Specifically, location, name, and even the ruler-label. All of which are pretty important. If you could, please comment if you are interested, want to find out more about it, or have a tip for something about it, like names, or something or other. Thanks for reading this far.

[member="Strider Garon"]

The lesser FU's that don't make religious war... Seems to be what he woukd be allowing in to put down the major FU's that start religious wars.

[member="Butch Mahan"]

King Eddak of Pzob may very well like this

Butch Mahan

[member="Strider Garon"]

This isn't a faction of Force Users, what Force Using Aspects have been added, have been added begrudgingly to attract people. The Force users have no power except as 'special soldiers', which NFUs can be as well. The NFU aspect here is much greater than other factions because being an FU doesn't give you power, you have to go through other channels that NFUs use.

[member="Eddak Manod"]

Ok then.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Butch Mahan said:
To be blunt, the main idea of the faction is to be a feudal monarchy built solely on to destroy the institutions that are based on the force, and send the force religions into a new dark age.
But why?

Huh... why does this seem really, really, really familiar...

The Order of the Righteous Flame

For the life of me, I just can't remember where I've seen this idea before. I mean, I remember seeing something really familiar to this, yet the name of that faction is just escaping me. It's right there too, right on the tip of my tongue.

[member="Butch Mahan"]
[member="Strider Garon"]
[member="Eddak Manod"]
[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"]

tumblr_mk3n3vhe8c1rjn3gzo1_400.gif

The complaint / concern that I have is that much of this reads like the Order of the Righteous Flame, with only minimal additions / changes.

This faction reads like the Order of the Righteous Flame. A group of NFUs focused on the destruction of the primary FU groups of the Sith and the Jedi Orders.

The Order of the Righteous Flame itself is primarily inspired by Medieval Knightly Orders, such as the Knights Templar, Teutonic Knights and the Knights Hospitaller. This idea that you're working nearly mirrors this (though with a minor difference being that it appears more 'samuraiesc' with a few hits from the European Chivalric Order stick), even going so far as to use similar titles for ranks.

Now I can easily chalk this up to me having worked on the Order for so long that I am the only one that sees the similarities (and if that's true then I'll drop this). However, on a personal level, to me, it looks like you read the Order of the Righteous Flame write up and decided to do something similar with only the smallest amount of changes.

[member="Butch Mahan"]

Butch Mahan

Well then, I only have a little bit of time before I head off to bed, but I'll try and do this in as little time as possible.

Admittedly, there are similarities, but the reasoning, is not from any form of plagiarism, but because there are limits to the subject at hand. This is a very fun subject, and I really wanted to do it, but there are limits to what you can use when trying to make an anti-FU faction. Last I checked, the idea to go against force users, isn't something as unique as things like the Primeval or the Dominion, thus having a faction that is Anti-FU isn't something you can have a monopoly on and claim all other factions are simply copies. I did not read your faction description, if its any consolation, and the differences I made were not based on the closeness of the two factions, but were created to provide for a more open writer base then just NFUs.

That is all I have to say on the matter, if you don't believe me, I am more than happy to brush it off. Besides, I'm not following this up anyways, I've decided I'm going to go on my own with this character for a while before bringing him back to the hell hole that is faction RP.

[member="Butch Mahan"]

While steering completely clear of the previous posts of this thread, I just wanted to go the distance and advise you not to be put off of any sort of avenue of role-play that you could potentially enjoy, due to the insights/perspectives of other members on this site. I myself am often conscious of how members of Chaos perceive me (I'm not saying that you yourself are), but we all do this for enjoyment and if I'd let that kind of stuff get to me then I wouldn't be where I'm at now.

Personally I've always liked the idea of an Anti-Force User faction. The Order of the righteous flame is indeed a faction I've supported in the past by previous characters and I think you could probably do well with one too. They're extremely rare on this site given everyone sees the advantages to using the force and being one of those people myself, I do admire characters that work around the force finding alternatives to give them an edge in role-play.

Whatever you decide, I hope you're not put off the RP at all. Just wanted to be an encouraging influence for a moment and tell you to go for gold, you don't know how successful something can be until you take the jump and try it out for yourself.

Also, cheers for the comment regarding the Dominion, that didn't go over my head, it's nice to be pegged as a unique influence across the board.

Best of luck dude and if you ever want to thread, gimme a shout out!

[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"] There's multiple Jedi, Sith, and Imperial factions that currently exist, so I don't see why there couldn't be multiple anti-FU or FU-centric factions about either. To be fair, there are long stretches where you'll go AWOL, and I haven't seen much done with the Righteous Flame for a long while, so you don't have a strong ground to try to claim a monopoly on the concept anyway. Competition is a good thing, it spurned you toward posting up some new campaign threads. Personally, I'd be happy there was another group out there to help rein in FU, and try to collaborate with them for story purposes.

Butch Mahan said:
To be blunt, the main idea of the faction is to be a feudal monarchy built solely on to destroy the institutions that are based on the force, and send the force religions into a new dark age.
So, Fel Imperium?

You know, with fighting other Force orders and expanding their own sphere of influence. Also the whole Fel dynasty thing.

Suravi Teigra said:
There's multiple Jedi, Sith, and Imperial factions that currently exist, so I don't see why there couldn't be multiple anti-FU or FU-centric factions about either.

I did not say that I was adverse to there being multiple anti-FU factions.

Suravi Teigra said:
To be fair, there are long stretches where you'll go AWOL, and I haven't seen much done with the Righteous Flame for a long while, so you don't have a strong ground to try to claim a monopoly on the concept anyway.
I was not attempting to claim a monopoly on the concept. I was merely stating that to me, the way this was presented was very familiar to the tone and design of the Order of the Righteous Flame, in such a manner that (once again, to myself) it appeared to have been read, taken and only have a few words changed before being posted. I even stated that I could have been wrong in this and may have just been reading too far into things. Likewise, I can not help it if my IRL situations prevents me from being on the site 24/7 and constantly being active like so many other individuals.

Suravi Teigra said:
Competition is a good thing, it spurned you toward posting up some new campaign threads. Personally, I'd be happy there was another group out there to help rein in FU, and try to collaborate with them for story purposes.
I do agree that competition is a good thing, however there is a correction that I must make about the Val Cluster Campaign posts. This posting of this idea was not what 'spurned' me to posting those threads. The Val Cluster Campaign has been in the planning stages since January and is a direct product of requiring me to keep my focus on Chaos and not freaking out about my mother's current IRL medical situation. The fact that they were posted last night was due merely because I had set the 27th as the beginning of the campaign.

[member="Suravi Teigra"]

Butch Mahan said:
Last I checked, the idea to go against force users, isn't something as unique as things like the Primeval or the Dominion, thus having a faction that is Anti-FU isn't something you can have a monopoly on and claim all other factions are simply copies.
If another Anti-FU faction idea popped up, I would not claim that it is a copy. The only reason I brought up (and as I mentioned, it could have just been only me seeing as such), that this idea was familiar with the Order of the Righteous Flame, is due in part to how it read to me personally. When I read over what you proposed, much of it seemed very familiar to what I had already written. Its heavily medieval basis and similar position titles and functions made it appear to myself that you had read the write up on the Order and changed a few things around.

I am willing to state that I could / am wrong in this generalization and that it could have merely been a coincidence and offer an apology. I am merely stating that on a personal level what I observed of the writing, and once more I would not be against other Anti-FU groups. When I saw the Commonwealth (while being jealous that they rose rapidly in the first month and ended up on the map), it was still nice to see another NFU focused faction (and I am sad to see that they are no longer Major).

I do encourage you to seek this avenue and work on it further.

[member="Butch Mahan"]

Tanomas Graf

T
Are you people serious?

Plenty of Jedi, Sith, crime, Imperial, and Mandalorian factions pop up on a semi-annual basis yet god forbid [member="Butch Mahan"] wants to start an anti-Force order with some feudal tones. It's audacious how you walk into this guy's interest thread, about an idea that he has been mulling over for an eternity, and go 'this has been done before' or 'this is another faction'. News-fething-flash, have you ever heard the expression 'Great minds think alike'? No? Well now you have. Some things are going to be similar, there's no excuse for you to be complaining about plagiarism.

Shame on all of you.

[member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"] | [member="Lok Jorunn"]

Butch Mahan

[member="Strider Garon"]
[member="Saverok"]
[member="Tanomas Graf"]
[member="Lok Jorunn"]
[member="Darth Adamsus"]
[member="Suravi Teigra"]
[member="Veiere Arenais"]