Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Deterioration Rules

Nyxie

【夢狐】
This is both smart and really, just terribad all at once.

It's a double-edged sword and I'll explain just why.

On the upside, it gives factions three whole months to get their poodoo together. That's enormously generous.
On the downside, it deteriorates the faction, which means less things to do in less places, more things to worry about getting done, and counteracts everthing all the remaining active people are doing to keep the faction alive and growing. How would you as a member feel pushing hard with the others to get a couple dominions finished, only for those planets to not only be taken away days later but a whole chunk of other territories around them? That kills morale, and then the faction dies even more. It's literally, directly counterproductive, which is ironic when you think about how increasing activity and productivity is supposed to be the ultimate goal of the faction in such a circumstance.

@[member="Ayña Kottos"], however, if a member is able to motivate his or her fellow members into completing dominions with them then there would be no worry of lost territory.

People who do work to keep their faction alive successfully will never have to gripe about this.

People who half ass it and don't motivate their other members to maintain their activities levels then they don't deserve to keep everything they have accumulated, if they've accumulated anything at all.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
True, but who's gonna be motivated to do those things if they're just going to be undone the next month? I know it's intended to inspire people to do them even more, but in reality it just seems like it will make people lose momentum and want to do them even less. Eventually, it will reach the point where a person stops caring, and just forfeits the faction.

Fatty said:
People who half ass it and don't motivate their other members to maintain their activities levels then they don't deserve to keep everything they have accumulated, if they've accumulated anything at all.
The problem is the people who "half ass it" aren't the ones accumulating anything. People who are picking up their slack are the ones losing out, and working even harder when they shouldn't.

My whole point was morale and momentum, but don't get me wrong, I don't personally have an issue with it. I just saw its potential to turn negative and thought to point it out.

^ What she said.

Though personally, I do not see your point @[member="Ayña Kottos"], but this is as good as it gets.

@[member="Ayña Kottos"], I understand you completely. Making people active is really hard and it's actually not other people's power to order someone to be active. But we have rules about Major Factions. And if we'd let everyone pass without obeying the rules, we wouldn't have them anymore. Of course it would be sad to see your faction becoming unpopular and being destroyed by Monthly Check-Ins. But real role-players find IC reasons for everything. Maybe they could be losing their power? Maybe people of their faction don't like the government and start a rebellion? Things can happen. No one is safe from these things.

And there's a good OOC reason here, why we shouldn't allow these Major Factions to stay. Have you seen how full the map is? Basically there is only room for a few new Major Factions at the moment. Yes, since new major ones get only three planets, there could be many of them there, but... People want to gain planets under their control, people want to have dominions. And the new rule could make the map emptier for other factions. At the moment, people's best option is to make new planets which they could dominion to have more power in the galaxy, but canon planets are still the best.

I'm wondering about the same things as @[member="Ayña Kottos"], though I am also not worried about it as a whole because if the fraction does lose territory, that is good for others because they'll be able to go and try to take it if they want it. If things need to change down the road, they probably will =)

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I won't lie, I could stand to see the map shrink down a little to make way for more activity and for us newer guys on the block.

Thing is, the big factions are going to stay big because they inevitably have enough to meet the requirement.
The small are the ones who are going to shrink when they can't afford to. 10% of 25 =/= 10% 250.
So while the map will clear up, the major players are always going to sustain their ownership of the majority of it. xD

That's how it is in the real world too.

In order to make Israel, land had to be taken from Palestine. The Palestinians want their own state, which would require us to do what? Take territory from what is now Israel and potentially several other nearby nations in order to make room for them.

If you want it. You gotta fight for it.

Otherwise you don't deserve it.

I may be wrong here, but actual posts within the roleplay aren't needed. What I've come to believe, though I may be wrong... is that the only thing to prevent the loss of what you've gained are simple posts within the check-ins.

I see this as nothing more than the staff wanting to make sure that there continues to be interest in the factions. Those that are losing members (the interest of the RPers) will be docked in kind. It only makes sense... what faction needs a lot of territory without the proper members to sustain their lands.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ayña Kottos said:
I just saw its potential to turn negative and thought to point it out.
Ayna. Can I talk to you for a second. Look, anybody can find a reason to queen about anything. Really. They can. If they try hard enough, squint close enough, and punch themselves in the balls long enough... Anybody can find anything to queen about. No matter how great or how awesome it is. Somebody, somewhere, is whining about it.

• Cure for Cancer? They can whine about it.
  • The Earth is Round? They can whine about it.
  • Free Money? They can whine about it.

The point is: do us all a favor and don't encourage that kind of behavior. Contribute to the constructive. Look for ways to build up the website. :D

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Jay Scott Clark said:
The point is: do us all a favor and don't encourage that kind of behavior. Contribute to the constructive. Look for ways to build up the website. Don't just be negative for the sake of being negative. Because, surprise!? It comes off negative. Thanks. :D
Excuse me?
I'm not encouraging anything, I was making a perfectly valid point and I had every right to, it's not hurting anyone and it wasn't breaking any rules. I have a voice and I was using it. Please refrain from talking down to me in the future, if ya want positive being positive might be a good start. :c

PS: The huge factions that will stay huge do not do so because they are all individually hyperactive, they remain so because they simply don't have a need to be overly active because they have so many individual members. All it's become is a galactic monopoly. I'm not against clearing room on the map, I was merely pointing out how it makes the weak weaker and the strong stronger, regardless of individual effort. It's just like real life, only it's not.

Jay Scott Clark said:
The point is: do us all a favor and don't encourage that kind of behavior. Contribute to the constructive. Look for ways to build up the website. Don't just be negative for the sake of being negative. Because, surprise!? It comes off negative. Thanks. :D
Hmmmm...she's not being negative for the sake of it. She's pointing out a flaw that may, or may not, be significant to the situation at hand. Your response, to me, seems condescending.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Perspective guys, perspective. No big deal. Keep your eye on the big picture. Nitpicking for sake of nitpicking doesn't accomplish anything. That's all. Enjoy the awesome new rules. :D

Love the new rules, even though it really doesn't affect me as I have no major factions (cause nobody likes them). As for the nitpicking stuff:

When someone, in this case the mods and admins, makes a new rule, there's going to always be two sides: those who immediately like it, and those who are wary of it. Being wary of how a rule works is okay, because for the people who are trying to set up new major factions, in this case, getting at least 7 writers with different lives and schedules to commit to check-ins or else they lose planets they spent probably the same amount of time to take. The three strike system is wonderful, I give ya that, but don't forget.

You have the right to express how you feel about a rule, and they have the right to express why they are wary of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom