Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech DS-66 "Pitohui" Hybrid Carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
dc2vchr-7a8b2dc3-8e4e-4f32-902b-fd13709fad93.jpg

jHiLsO.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION:
PRODUCTION INFORMATION:
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Classification: Hybrid Carbine / Shotgun
  • Size: Average
  • Weight:
    • Light
    • Very Light (Short barrel)
  • Ammunition Type: Gas Canister
  • Ammunition Capacity: 50 or 250 - Small
  • Effective Range:
    • 35m or 350m - Average
    • 25m or 250m - Personal (Short Barrel)
  • Rate of Fire: Average
  • Damage Output: Very High
  • Recoil: High
SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Hidden Fire: This weapons rounds and CROSS bend light and are invisible to the naked eye.
  • Suppressed: The DS-66 has a suppression system which makes its rounds deceptively quiet.
  • Charric: The DS-66 Fires charric maser blasts, which carry kinetic damage as well as heat / ion.
  • Stealth Shield: This weapon employs a small field projector through its and other CROSS systems which hides the user from certain scanners.
  • Wide Angle Blasts: The Pitohui is able to fire wide angle conical blasts of energy which are incredibly lethal to those within range.
  • Rapid Fire: able to fire at 350 rp/m with wide angle or 950 rp/m in carbine mode this weapon is capable of semi automatic, 3 round burst or full auto firing.
  • Phrik B Plating: A synthetic Phrik shelf that protects the user's hands in case of a misfire or the blaster gas being hit.
  • Ionite Laminate Link: The Pitohui is shielded against the effects of Ion / EM weapons.
  • Highly Modular: boasts several modular connection points for attachments, expanded power cells, gas canisters laser sights removable barrel etc.
  • Ion Compatible: The DC-66 Pitohui can be retrofitted to be an Ion or Thermal weapon.
  • Biometric Scanner: This weapon will not unlock or prime without a finger on the trigger, which can be registered to a specific user.
  • Scanner Blind: using high quality materials such as Durinum alloy, this weapon is undetectable to most small scale scanners.
  • HUD Link: The DS-66 is capable of linking to an active HUD relaying weapon information as well as sights and laser positions.
STRENGTHS:
  • Silent as the Grave: The DS-66 fires suppressed light bending energy blasts which are invisible to the naked eye as the weapon wraps a tight EM field around its blaster bolts to ensure it leaves no energy trail while out-doors and almost no sound, making this weapon an ideal stealth weapon for use in open or urban encounters.
  • Shield Altering: The Pitohui integrates a 3' diameter CROSS system, integrating a lens made to replicate the effect of a reflec coating across the surface of the shield, acting as a sort of camouflage to blend the user's signal against the environment, protecting them to some degree from directional scanners such as IR or Unidirectional waveform scanners and being generally effective against stock equipment.
  • Hybrid Damage: The energy rounds fired by this weapon are based on the chiss charric technology, meaning that whether it be calibrated to Ion or Thermal energy, they have a potent Kinetic component.
  • Wide Rounds: This weapon has the ability to fire a singular high powered blaster bolt or wide angle high impact scatter-gun rounds which are capable of obliterating armour and shields at extreme close ranges as well as dealing considerable knock-back force thanks to its charric nature.
  • Highly Customizable: This weapon is made with alteration in mind. Its energy cells and gas can be modified to make it compatible as an Ion weapon as well as a Blaster weapon. It also has modular rails along the barrel, under-barrel and sides combined with universal power point banks and blaster chamber attachments and even removable grips, scope, sights and even the trigger systems so that they may be replaced making this weapon one of the easiest on the market to customize to your own specifications.
  • Full Auto: The DS-66 is capable of switching between Semi Automatic and Fully Automatic fire, with an altered firing rate between approximately 350 and 950 rounds per minute. The fully automatic shotgun nature of the Pitohui making it exceedingly lethal against singular targets.
  • EM Shielded: The DS-66 uses Ionite Laminate in order to protect itself from ion blasts like grenades making it resistant to such efforts to shut its systems down as well as remain undetected from most scanners.
  • Quick on the Draw: This light framed weapon, although requiring it to be primed for a moment, so long as its user is trigger ready, its light frame allows it for incredibly quick snap-fire potential.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Wind Up: When the Biometric Scanner is activated, This weapon takes a couple of moments to power up or else the shots it fires are substantially weaker, making snap firing with this weapon difficult unless its already primed and ready to go.
  • Limited: The Cross system while an effective and powerful shield is only front facing, leaving the user vulnerable to attacks from behind or at the legs if standing.
  • Rapid Fire: CROSS shields, while able to handle the largest calibers of ammunition in their class with their reactive armour, are not fantastic and handling rapid fire weapons which shatter the individual layers of the shield extremely quickly.
  • Physical Presence: While the CROSS itself remains undetected and confuses some visual sensors that attempt to see through its veil, the user themselves are prone to pulse base scanners such as Sonar and can be detected up close by more advanced systems or though more dedicated search.
  • Energy Dispersal: While in its scattergun configuration this weapons projectiles completely disperse meaning that there is zero damage potential beyond its effective range.
DESCRIPTION:

After the creation of the incredibly successful DS-600, refining the technology into a more modular form seemed to be the natural next step for the Aquila Quartermasters Guild. Unlike the Owl as a self sufficient weapon system, the intent with the Pitohui was to create a weapon that, by it simply being in a soldiers arsenal would allow it to combine with and radically alter a person's role and capabilities on the battlefield. Changing a soldier from a rank and file soldier to someone capable of clearing corners and rooms in enclosed spaces with extreme proficiency.

This weapon comes packed with features, as a Directional Stealth weapon (DS Class) it packs a suppression system to effectively silence its blasts to little more than a light bass sound if a person is within a few meters of the attack, leaving it silent through walls or within about 10 meters. Additionally, the stealth system within the weapon combines with other CROSS shields that a person may be using, affording them active camouflage but lacking the exterior CROSS component to be able to project its own shield. Additionally, as a Maser weapon, the blast packs a huge kinetic punch, comparable to that of some live ammunition rounds or shatter-guns especially when using the wide angle shot option which is able to shred armour and throw a humanoid back half a dozen feet if shot within 5m.

Finally the stock guarantee of all house Aquila weapons is their customization options. Similar to the DS-600 the 66 has universal modular rails along the sides of the barrel as well as the top and under-barrel. Additional Modular rails can be found along the body and stock of the weapon. The weapon's stocks, grips, triggers, sights, scope, suppressor and even part of the barrel is removable to make it lighter but reducing effective range. Not to mention that the weapon can be calibrated with an alternate power source to be an ion or Thermal weapon, both of which will carry the kinetic properties of the Maser technology that it uses for especially effective output.

All in all the Pitohui is a particularly dangerous weapon that has made its name as an effective sweeper in close quarters urban environments that earns its name as one of the most dangerous birds in the Avery.

Last edited:
Really nice submission Felix Aquila Felix Aquila

The only thing I have is that I feel that your Strengths outweigh your weaknesses, if you could please add an additional three meaningful Weaknesses to the submission for balance.

I'm really confused, because a bunch of these are just reflections of the highs from the technical specifications field which are already balanced out by lows in other areas. A bunch of them, like customizable is more or less just elaborations on things like saying yes for Modular and the like. / the use of other tech which im just describing here because otherwise it gets lost. highly customizable, EM shielded, Full Auto and Quick on the draw fall under those.

As is the same for the other apps.

Felix Aquila Felix Aquila

I understand your confusion. I am asking for some more weaknesses due to the fact that you have 5 strengths to the three weaknesses you have, I am not including the strengths Full Auto, Highly Customizable, and Quick on the Draw when I say this. In my personal opinion, the strengths of this submission outweigh the weaknesses, and I would like another weakness to balance out the submission a little more.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

CEO of Breshig War Forge Consolidated

Okay, let me just start off by saying that this is an ambitious submission and I absolutely love it. There are a few slight problems, however, and so we're going to have to get through those before this can be passed through.

• Particularly rare or powerful special features may necessitate using a lower level of production (cloaking technology, personal cloaking devices, gemcutters, crystal grav traps, moon dust, equivalent stealth or anti stealth technologies), or rare canon technologies (Hyperwave Inertial Momentum Sustainers, etc) and their equivalents will only be permitted at Semi-Unique production.
So, as you know, all stealth technologies must be posted at semi-unique. Obviously imperfect optical camouflage and the like are fine, but unfortunately this isn't that. So you have two options, you can either change the production rating to semi-unique, or you can change the following:
Material:
  • Bandorium is a stealth material, please remove it.
Shield Altering: The Pitohui integrates a 2' radius CROSS system and identifies other CROSS shield systems on the user, integrating a modular Baffler system through them affording them the ability to bend light so long as the weapon is primed affording the Shield itself to avoid detection from the naked eye as well as protect the user from scanners.
  • That is more or less a cloaking device, please remove it.
Stealth Shield: This weapon employs a field projector through its and other CROSS systems which hides the user from scanners.
  • That definitely counts as a stealth system, please remove this.
In the meanwhile, a two other issues came up.
Effective Range:
  • 35m or 350m - Average
  • 25m or 250m - Short Range (Short Barrel)
Please use the correct rating from the template (Personal).
Suppressed: The DS-66 has a suppression system which makes its rounds entirely .
You might want to finish this sentence.

Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol

Edited above, dont know how some of that slipped on by, but know, that this is almost the definition of imperfect stealth. Only able to hide the user from unidirectional scanners is a pretty drastic limitation. Bandorium also doesn't hide something from visual sight, but i changed it to a much more common substance which should be fine.

None of this makes the user invisible which is the key component of a cloaking devise. Only from certain kinds of scanners, and ONLY what parts of the scanner come into contact with the actual small shield. Definition of imperfect to me.

Shuklaar Kyrdol

CEO of Breshig War Forge Consolidated

Terribly sorry this is such a delayed response, notification didn't quite show up for me.

I feel like there's some confusion between stealth and a cloaking device going on here.
Sensor Baffler
Sensor bafflers are indeed considered stealth. You need to watch out for wookie articles that use absolute wording. The absolute wording used here means it is indeed a stealth system.
Shield Altering: The Pitohui integrates a 2' radius CROSS system and identifies other CROSS shield systems on the user, integrating a modular Baffler system through them affording them the ability to scramble unidirectional scanner technology such as visual scanners, however its ineffective against omnidirectional scanners.
Perfectly hiding the user from all directional scanners is not imperfect stealth. Please change that. It can, for example, be far more effective at hiding the user from directional scanners, but any absolute wording pushes it into full stealth.
Physical Presence: While the CROSS itself remains undetected and confuses visual sensors that attempt to see through its veil, the user themselves are prone to pulse base scanners such as Sonar.
You've just mentioned in the strengths that this generates a field two feet around the weapon. Unless the wielder's prone, the shield definitely covers them.
I missed this in the first run and I'm terribly sorry about this. You can't have a submission affiliated with both a major faction and a company.

Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

1/ for sensor bafflers, it only hides 'energy signatures,' there are lots of other kinds of scanners, Also, its not perfect stealth if its a limited radius, Ie. 3ft diameter, and is limited to monodirectional scanners, which, might i add, this shield would have to be 'facing' to get any protection from them. That sounds like FAR from perfect stealth to me. Its the equivalent of saying "If i wear this shirt, at night, with no moon and no artificial light touching me, I can hide from sight" Yes, if the set, niche 'stars align' scenario occurs it can actually do its job, but that example is not perfect.

2/ ALL directional scanners is already a fraction of scanners, you can apply that logic to any break down. Ie, I could say it only works on IR scanners, and you could reply with "ALL IR scanners is perfect stealth," When, at the end of the day, this doesn't hide a person from just 'looking' at them. Heat wave detection, most energy detectors even. But yes, if you're using scifi binoculars or a rangefinder it will be effective.

3/ If i stood up, with a 2 foot radius shield, it wouldn't even cover my entire body... my legs and head would be sticking out the only way this shield works is from cover, or IF you're prone... I changed it to a 3ft diameter. Which again, adds it to not being perfect and being very niche.

4/ Also, Felix Aquila is a character, not a company... so...

Actually, thinking about this more can i have someone else look at this please? John Locke John Locke

Having looked through the submission I will be putting my thoughts below.

Sensor Bafflers

The wookie page on bafflers states the following:

A baffler, also called a sensor baffle, was a device that was used to hide an energy signature from another ship's sensors;

The definition of stealth technology on Wikipedia is:

a sub-discipline of military tactics and passive and active electronic countermeasures,[SUP][1][/SUP] which covers a range of methods used to make personnel, aircraft, ships, submarines, missiles, satellites, and ground vehicles less visible (ideally invisible) to radar, infrared,[SUP][2][/SUP] sonar and other detection methods.

While there are indeed other sensors as you point out, other sensors do exist in the modern military applications but this does not affect the definition of stealth technology. The absolute language involved in the wiki submission makes a sensor baffler a stealth technology and would therefore necessitate the submission being reduced to a semi-unique production.

The crux of the stealth issue comes down to this strength:

• Shield Altering: The Pitohui integrates a 3' diameter CROSS system and identifies other CROSS shield systems on the user, integrating a modular Baffler system through them affording them the ability to scramble unidirectional scanner technology such as visual scanners, however its ineffective against omnidirectional scanners. ​

The limited size of the field doesn't make this an imperfect stealth, within its confines it is a perfect stealth field, if we note from the above quotes that stealth fields do not have to encompass all possible sensors. To truly make an object invisible is a cloaking field, stealth technology is designed to hide an object from certain sensors, which the modular baffler is able to do.

My suggestion here if you wish to keep the weapon as a minor production item would be to alter the wording to make it clear that the created field doesn't hide its occupant from sensors but instead reduces their signature making it harder for a targeting system to lock onto them, while not making it impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom