Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dread Wolf : Butcher King

Relationship Status: It's Complicated
Ger-temp-banner.png

WEARING: xxx
WEAPONS: Ferrum Solus | Blodmåne | Strømafbryder
TAG: Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex

"…I have no right to ask anything from you. You saved…What was left of me. I can't imagine how hard that was but I need you to promise me…please…that you'll never go near the Mountain again."

Naedira had only ever asked one thing of her wolf, and that was to stay away from the Mountain. They did not mention him by name, save for the moniker they had given him. He had met the Sith Lord on several occasions since Srina Talon Srina Talon had picked his broken body off the frozen heap of ice and rubble. Gerwald had promised to kill him in one of those encounters after stopping him from unleashing a Nocna Mora to defend his home. Those creatures should not have ever been created, but had they not, Naedira’s soul would have never survived.

Gerwald supposed he owed the Sith something, but his promise to Naedira stood. He would not seek out Prazutis Zambrano.

There was another Zambrano which interested him.

Darth Carnifex was an imposing figure. To some his name was synonymous with what it meant to be Sith. A former emperor several times over, his storied past was known to many, and the legend of his exploits had a far and famous reach. What Gerwald did not know was whether there was truth to them or not. He supposed he held a certain curiosity and wanted his own opinion.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean did not like him.

His Echani mistress seemed to trust him as much as one could trust a Sith.

The Malsheem should have been considered one of the wonders of the galaxy. It was certainly a testament to Sith engineering. Gerwald had never seen anything quite like it, and his feet had stepped foot on the decks of many Confederacy assets which rivaled what his eyes currently beheld. His transport paled in comparison to the gargantuan vessel, and for a fleeting moment the wolf felt small. That was a difficult thing to accomplish.

His armored boots echoed in the hall. While this meeting was not hostile, Gerwald was not going to approach the Butcher in a casual manner. Perhaps it was precisely how he should have, but this was their first meeting. The wolf had not made his mind up about the former emperor himself. Should there be a subsequent meeting then Gerwald would be more relaxed.

…or he would be more on guard.

As he came into the room where they would be meeting, Gerwald bowed out of respect. The beast was not completely mannerless afterall. Srina, Naedira, and Lunara, had all ensured the brute knew how to act in various situations. Carnifex demanded a certain propriety, not because anyone had said so, but because his station required it.

“Thank you for your gracious hospitality,” the wolf said as he rose to look the Butcher King in the eye. “This meeting has been put off for far too long.”

CS3FUG8.png

To traverse the immense interior of the Malsheem was no small feat. Beneath the kilometer thick outer shell was a sprawling city, whose name was Dis, simultaneously rising from the ground and projecting down from the roof of the worldcraft. As the Dread Wolf descended into this labyrinthine city, he was ferried forth as a passenger of a massive railcrawler. Immense structures passed by the crawler's glasteel viewports, some large enough to rival those found on city-worlds like Coruscant.

But it was the Imperius Spire that dwarfed them all, a gargantuan monolith that bridged both hemispheres of the internal city. It was here that the Dark Lord of the Kainate resided, the nucleus of His galaxy-spanning shadow empire. Gerwald was led into the spire by a guard of red-robed praetorians, the journey made in complete silence as they passed by endless winding hallways, cavernous courtyards, and nigh bottomless pits that yawned deep into darkness.

It was not a throne room, but the chamber in which Gerwald was delivered was nonetheless impressive. Towering statues of Sith both ancient and modern stretched from the floor to the ceiling, wrought out of smoothed and polished basalt. At the room's center was a depression, arranged as a seating area with marble benches cushioned by luxurious pillows. But the Dark Lord was not there, He stood at the far end of the room, the side which terminated in a wall made entirely out of shimmering crystal. Beyond it was a gladiatorial arena where slaves fought and died for the amusement of the Dark Lord and His extended family.

"Indeed it has." The Dark Lord half-turned to look at the Dread Wolf, His gaze alone bearing down with immense authority. A glass of amber liquid was held in His left hand, the cubed ice clinking as He swirled the glass absentmindedly. "Darth Empyrean's executioner," emphasis was placed on the word Darth, as the Emperor had often insisted on being referenced by his full title. "And the confidant of our Lady-Empress Srina Talon. Make yourself welcome in my home, Lord Lechner. Those who sit in the good Lady Talon's favor have earned my hospitality."

A gynoid made from sparkling gold and silver approached Gerwald, a tray of drinks held aloft in one of her dainty servo-arms. They would offer the Dread Wolf a drink, and would soon after retreat regardless of whether or not he took one.

"What brings you to the Malsheem, Lord Lechner?"

Ger-temp-banner.png

There was the word again, executioner. Gerwald could live with it, but he was not sure whether or not it was accurate. For now it was as good a reputation as any. Darth Strosius Darth Strosius had pointed out as much. Empyrean’s brother had pointed it out as well. It seemed the wolf had a favorable position, and he was in the perfect place to exploit it. If there was anyone who would know how to navigate the precarious world of the Sith, it was the Epicanthix who stood tall in front of him.

Gerwald looked to the drink cart which had been presented. Blue eyes fell to what appeared to be whiskey. The amber liquid was poured into the glass before it was taken into the hand of the beast. He stepped toward the crystal which Carnifex had been facing. His attention was drawn to the arena below. The wolf knew what was taking place down below, and more importantly the status of those in combat. It begged a question the wolf would have to reconcile.

How was he supposed to simply ignore what he was watching for the sake of keeping the fragile stability the Order currently held onto?

The wolf took a sip of whiskey before answering.

“My life is indebted to her many times over. Though, you already know this.”

Was there more to say on the matter? Again, he felt Carnifex flattered him. Gerwald would not have called himself the confidant of the Dread Queen. In fact, as his eyes moved to regard the Master Sith, he felt there were things his mistress had shared with him that Gerwald was not privy to. The wolf still had time missing, and perhaps one day Srina would tell him why, though it would not matter. Their relationship was not dependent on what she shared or hid from the beast.

Then came the timely question. What was the purpose of the meeting? Why had Gerwald left the safety and comfort of Jutrand?

“Curiosity.”

It was as true an answer as Carnifex would receive. Gerwald could not be any more honest as it was the only reason he had sought the Dark Lord out. Another sip of his whiskey created a pregnant pause, a silence long enough to allow the answer to settle between them.

“I am well aware that the emperor and his wife hold very different opinions of you. It was time that I formed my own. Perhaps I also wish to see whether I should paint you the same color as Prazutis. Are all Zambranos alike?”

Gerwald was not aware of what the Butcher King knew of his encounter with the Mountain, or whether he wanted him dead. His hatred would not be difficult to detect. The wolf did not hide it. It was not a secret or hidden knowledge that once learned could be exploited. If anything, it was the one thing everyone seemed to know about him.

CS3FUG8.png

The two fighters struggled fiercely in the red-dyed sand, both of them adorned with intricate tattoos that indicated that they were slaves. More than that, it detailed just what kind of slaves they were, where they had been taken from, and various other identifying markers imposed on them by their Kainate slavers. Both had been stripped down to simple cloth fundoshi, and primarily fought with their bare hands. Weapons had been thrown into the arena at certain intervals, but they were currently discarded as both slaves disarmed one another and were grappling to the death.

"Curiosity can be a dangerous thing, Lord Lechner. It can lead people into uncertain danger that otherwise would've been avoided." His eyes glowed with the Dark Side as He looked from the arena to Gerwald, and then back to the arena. One of the slaves had gotten the upper hand, and had the other in a tight choke-hold. The contest only ended when they snapped the other slave's neck. But, instead of being rewarded or guided out of the arena, the victor was instead set upon by dogs loosed from kennel doors built into the arena walls. Sound did not permeate through the crystal wall, but much was easily conveyed.

At the mention of Prazutis, the Dark Lord couldn't help but smile as He turned His back to the crystal wall and walked further into the suite. "My uncle and I are quite different, although on the surface it does not appear so. It is true that we do share the same goals and beliefs, but we differ on manner of execution. He told me all that He did to incur your wrath, Lord Lechner, there are few secrets kept between close family. There are many in the galaxy who feel as strongly about me as you do about him."

Carnifex invited Gerwald to take a seat, the Dark Lord resting upon a wide and well-cushioned leisure couch. "Which is why I was surprised to learn you wanted to meet me here of all places. The Lord of Death is here with us, in this very station, perhaps in this very room. He is a shadow, you see, a phantom lurking within the shade of your neck. He could be anywhere, he could be nowhere. Concept such as time and space mean little when you have become one with the darkness."

Ger-temp-banner.png

“It may also bring about unexpected gains.”

The answer was a brief rebuttal. Gerwald knew better than to argue directly, but he also was not so afraid that he would not challenge a difference of opinion. This was not a hostile meeting, or meant to be, after all.

He listened as the truth of what Carnifex knew was revealed. The wolf was unsure which was more maddening, the fact Carnifex knew or the former emperor’s choice of entertainment. It reeked of slavery for the sake of slavery, and Gerwald could not stand it. Fortunately they turned toward a seating area. He stomached it for what he hoped to accomplish with the meeting, and for the sake of the friendship between the Sith Lord and his mistress.

It was not a surprise to hear that while the Zambranos held similar goals, their methods were different. While Carnifex was known as the Butcher King, Prazitus was something more sadistic. It was Gerwald’s opinion anyway. Yes, there were some who wanted Carnifex dead, much in the same way there were many who wanted Empyrean dead. The wolf knew of those that wanted him dead. It was the price of leadership during times of war.

“So you know then.”

It was a statement.

“A promise to one I hold dear keeps me from exacting whatever revenge I seek. I was a young and foolish pup then, and did not listen to those who told me to stay away. Now that I am powerful, I have been asked to stay away once more. This time I shall. Even if he is here, I will not seek him out.”

Gerwald sipped the whiskey once more.

“And you seek this oneness?”

It was a simple question, but the wolf was certain he already knew the answer to it.

“It is a wonder my mistress trusts you, considering. She was the one who ensured I made a full recovery. I owe her twice over now, and you will find I am very protective. You do not seem to give me a reason to be. It was one of those curiosities I came to satisfy.”

CS3FUG8.png

"A different oneness, but totality all the same."

The Butcher King took in the measure of the Dread Wolf, dark eyes watching the executioner carefully. In the good graces of Srina Talon Srina Talon he may be, but he was still an attack dog of Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean . Darth Carnifex did not entirely trust him just yet, the disapproval of the games beyond the crystal wall evident enough of his distaste for the values the Zambrano Clan placed emphasis on; the strong dominating the weak.

But that, in of itself, was a symptom encouraged by the defunct Confederacy, who while led by a Sith Lord abhorred the institution of slavery. Carnifex would see such an institution revitalized in the former territories of the Confederacy if He could, and He was making inroads in with old powers to see it done.

"Srina Talon is an exceptional woman, none like her exist in this universe. Her and I have connected on a level few could comprehend in it's intimacy, a union joined by similarities beyond the scope of flesh and blood. Our secrets are shared." Lady Talon wore His phylactery around her neck everywhere she went, and He in turn was godfather and haru to her children; hidden from their father, Empyrean. Some would whisper that they've conspired in other ways, but that was simply unfounded gossip.

"We share each other's confidence. She has spoken of you many times when we are together. This is the first time I have truly met one of the old Knights Obsidian, I was never very inclined to meet with that order. After the Confederacy became a non-entity, I had struck for Geonosis and laid waste to the Knight Obsidian's Citadel. It was my first true encounter with the Knights Obsidian. I must admit I was not very impressed with them, although I can see why they made you their Lord Commander. You outshone all of them."

Ger-temp-banner.png

Gerwald smiled at the mention of secrets. He knew something of them, and had a few of his own. For now the Butcher did not need to know what they were, save one. Perhaps this Zambrano would help him where the other had intended to take his life. The wolf found himself in an interesting position, and one of the few questions in his mind was how to exploit it.

Did he want to?

At least they found a point to agree on. Srina Talon Srina Talon was an exceptional woman. There was something between them, something Gerwald could no longer remember. Time had been lost, and while the wolf assumed it was the result of extending too much energy, or letting the Echani siphon too much of it, he was unsure. Time was not the only thing missing, and the more of it which passed Gerwald started piecing some things together.

The wolf had learned something, but what was it?

It would be set aside for the moment as it seemed the Butcher King was attempting to provoke, or give a sideways compliment. Gerwald was unsure of how to process what he was hearing. Certainly the Sith Lord knew those which remained at the citadel were not a representation of the Knights Obsidian by any stretch of the imagination.

He shrugged.

“After the Confederacy became a non-entity the majority of the remaining order followed Metus to wild space. Though my strength was not why I was selected. It was because I understood the weight of giving orders that sent people to their death. Srina… she saw fit to teach me the art of politics.”

It was a word Gerwald loathed, and yet the wolf had learned to play the game. The masks people wore to hide what they truly wanted could be pulled away in several ways. Gerwald preferred a more direct approach, but the Echani had taught him to get those across the table to peel the mask off themselves. Carnifex would not remove his mask for the wolf, not easily. Did Gerwald even want to try?

“You do flatter with your compliments, however.”

His eye turned back to the arena.

“Why?”

Gerwald turned back to the Butcher.

“At one point Srina had negotiated an agreement that the Sith would purchase droids to replace slavery amongst Sith. I know you embrace it. It is one of the reasons why Empyrean hates you so much. I came from a culture with a caste system. You are surrounded by those who abhor the practice… so why?”

CS3FUG8.png

"It is the natural order."

The answer was just that simple, and the Dark Lord was tempted to just leave it at that. But He would be an ungracious host if He dismissed His guest's questions so brusquely. So, after a moment of silence, He decided to further elaborate. "When you look at the structure of nature, the latticework of relationships that bind predator to prey, flora to fauna, and environment to it's inhabitants, you come to understand the power dynamics which reside in all existence. In analogous terms, the Sith are the apex predator of the galaxy, preying upon all that exist and will exist within nature. Those at the lowest in the latticework of relationships I mentioned, are those who are destined to suffer the strength of those at the top of the ladder."

Outside, the dogs had been corralled and the refuse cleaned up for the next bout of entertainment. More of the Zambrano clan filtered into the stands to witness and marvel at the spectacle of brutality, to jeer at those condemned to die for their amusement; they who considered themselves so far removed from the common dregs of the cosmos.

"Do you condemn the wolf for preying upon the lamb, Lord Lechner? Hunger must be sated, thirst must be slaked. If the wolf did not hunt and kill and consume, then it would wither and die. We Sith are wolves, plying the dark forests where the Light of the Jedi does not shine. We sate our hunger upon cruelty and violence, slake our thirst upon the blood of those ground to pulp beneath our ambitions, and consume countless souls to sustain our existence. If we were to go against our nature, to forcefully reshape ourselves into something antithetical to who we are, then we cease to be Sith and become something different; something lesser."

The crowd roared, although what they cheered for was just out of sight of the two men in the luxurious suite; safe from the stench and the blood of barbarity. "I do not think of Srina Talon lesser for clutching to her ideals, Lord Lechner, I truly do not. But I cannot so easily abandon the heritage of a legacy that stretches back seven thousand years. Our forefathers built civilizations upon the backs of slaves, the weakest in nature. Morality has nothing to do with it, the concept of good and evil, right and wrong, are ephemeral and subjective. I believe in what you have done and what you will do, the simplicity of action. I kill because I can, I take because I can. I enslave because I can. There is no other justification, there needs not be."

"Moralism is a disease that has taken root in the youngest of our Order, Lord Lechner. It is a virus borne from errant Jediism, proliferating through a lack of discipline and lapse in ideological fidelity. Even now, some among our number choose to bed with animals, sub-sentient trash like the Mandalorians; a dying mongrel breed." The venom in the Dark Lord's voice was biting, sharp and toxic. It was clear where His opinion lay on the matter. "For now, Darth Empyrean may play his games how he wishes, that is his prerogative. I will do as I wish in turn."

Ger-temp-banner.png

Natural order was an answer Gerwald could actually accept. It was likely the only answer he could accept. Naedira Darcrath Naedira Darcrath may not have taken it well, and he could only imagine how Srina Talon Srina Talon would respond to the view which Carnifex now suggested. The wolf knew better than most what the Dark Lord implied, and it was perhaps for that reason he used the illustration which followed.

Gerwald shook his head. To fault the wolf would have meant faulting himself for his need to run through the woods, to feel the thrill of the chase, or to taste hot iron running down his throat. He knew what it meant to be a predator, but thanks to his uncle, Gerwald also knew what it meant to be prey. He preferred to be the predator.

A simple nod was his only response for the moment. Carnifex competed with the roars of the crowds which Gerwald could hear with precision. His heightened senses meant in this situation he had to work harder to put his personal feelings aside on the matter of what took place beyond their vision. The wolf knew what was happening. He could still smell the blood. It stirred something within him.

He was the predator.

He was the wolf.

It was interesting to Gerwald that both Carnifex and Srina Talon could not only co-exist, but demonstrate a level of care and affection toward each other. Naturally the wolf knew where their hearts lie, but if there was ever any case to be made that those who should be enemies could be friends… confidants… it was with these two.

“I kill because I can, I take because I can. I enslave because I can. There is no other justification, there needs not be.”

At this Carnifex had Gerwald’s full attention. It was not the same exact wording of what the wolf understood, but it was said in the same manner. The principle of it was the same. Naedira had told him. Srina had told him. It was an inescapable truth which would make Gerwald embrace what it meant to be Sith.

“Sith take what they want.”

This was how he answered.

It was the same answer Prazutis had given the wolf when he asked why. Prazutis did it because he could. Why had he killed Naedira and bound her in the way he had… because he could. Gerwald was beginning to hate this answer as much as he hated the idea of duty. Yet, like duty, he had come to believe in it.

He looked back to the arena.

“So if I said I wanted to take the place of the slaves that are about to face whatever it is that has the crowd cheering so loudly… you would not stop me?”

Gerwald set the glass of whiskey down the table and stood.

“I did not come here to fight, nor to debate the merits or failing of moralism. If we are to get to know each other, then what is more altruistic than combat. You observe me in the arena… then I observe you. Battle shows us who we are.”

CS3FUG8.png

The Dark Lord's grew wider, more predatory.

Hungrier.

He could indeed come to appreciate the Wolf for what he was, although He did not believe they would ever truly see eye-to-eye. But they needn't in the first place, the Sith were not ones to merrily find compromise and to give ground. They fought viciously for their own reasons, whether it was for the individual or the collective. That Carnifex and Gerwald understood one another at this level was enough, their mutual faith in Srina Talon binding them.

"I would not stop you, Gerwald Lechner, and no one else will either. To watch slaves kill each other is one thing, but to bear witness to a savant is another. They will clamor for more." The Epicanthix have long been purveyors of blood sport, which had always taken numerous forms throughout their long and storied history. Darth Carnifex had revived the practice of sacrificial sport, but the concept existed long before Him. Typically, Epicanthix fought one another until a certain amount of hits had been achieved. First blood, second blood, third blood, and so on and so forth.

Death in the arena for Epicanthix warriors was exceedingly rare, as it was viewed that an Epicanthix warrior was too valuable to let die for sport. In ancient times, a slave or similar scapegoat would be killed in the losing warrior's stead. Carnifex had revived that practice. Before that, warriors simply accepted the loss without the need of another's death, but those who still followed Carnifex were adherents of the ancient rites; they would not accept loss without a sacrifice.

"But do know, Gerwald Lechner, that my people are proud of their martial traditions. It is spiritual to them. So fight well."

Ger-temp-banner.png

Gerwald had expected that there would not be much pushback to his request, or musing. The answer he received did make him wonder why they would use slaves at all then. If a savant, a warrior, could produce such a response, certainly it was a waste to spill the blood of those who served them. What the wolf struggled with on principle, he now could not reconcile with what seemed to be resourceful.

They were different creatures. Carnifex had long been able to afford what Gerwald could not. Perhaps it was simply a matter of perspective. What the Wolf would see as waste, the Butcher could afford.

He stood, and placed the empty glass on the table. A nod was offered to the former emperor. Gerwald was beginning to understand why Srina appreciated him, even confided in him.

“Thank you for the drink.”

His steps carried him toward the arena. He watched again as the battles raged on below. Carnifex had been agreeable to the proposition, and so the wolf was obligated. It had not been his intent to find himself in combat when he arrived, but events turned as they did. Gerwald had learned to take advantage of the opportunities which present themselves.

The attendant which had escorted him to Butcher King now led him from the meeting lounge to the arena entrance. A voice boomed over the sound system announcing the change in combat. His eyes turned up to his host, knowing the towering Epicanthix would be watching. The warning about his kin reverberated in his mind. His people took the martial competition seriously, and the wolf aimed to please.

A gate opened to reveal a Mantellian Savrip. It was massive, a thick beast with strength of a creature at least ten times its size. Naturally it would mean Gerwald would not be able to match with brute force. He would have to outsmart it. The beast roared and began to charge. Pressing the force to his legs, the warrior leaped over the monster. The wolf could not get caught up in the massive grip of the Savrip.

It would pulverize him.

Gerwald landed on its back. A knife was pulled a sheath on his thigh. The blade was sharp, kept so by the care given to it by the warrior. He drove it just beneath the beast’s skull, at the base of it where the soft tissue was exposed.

It fell with a thud.

The crowd clamored and shouted for more.

Gerwald looked up to where he knew the Butcher would be observing once more as if to ask whether he approved or not.

CS3FUG8.png

The announcer called out Gerwald's name in the thick, heavily accented language of the Epicanthix, eliciting a chorus of cheers from the crowd. When the Mantellian Savrip was brought out, the cheers shifted to a call for blood. They continued to cry out to Gerwald as he fought the gargantuan beast, and when it was finally felled the stadium erupted into a frenzy of celebration. They called out his name in a harmonized cry.

"Gerwald!"

"Gerwald!"

"Gerwald!"

Drums were beaten and horns bellowed. The Epicanthix watching from the stands stamped their feet in praise, stretching forth their hands in blessing and prayer. Arena servitors moved onto the sands to drag away the Mantellian Savrip's corpse, clearing the arena for the next bout. Picadors with bare chests and barbed spears prowled around the edges, where the sand met the metal walls. The ground beneath Gerwald's feet rumbled as a great elevator began to ascend.

When the gargantuan door opened, what emerged was a horrid amalgamation. It's body was furred, matted with blood and grime. Each limb ended in vicious claws, and a crown of jagged antlers protruded from it's brow. Two huge, horrid teeth jutted up from it's lower jaw, while the rest of it's mouth was a mangle of sharp teeth. A thick tail thumped the sand as it stalked forward on all fours, eyes glazed over with hunger and pain.

Without warning, it started to lope forwards. Thick globules of spittle ran out of it's toothed maw as it extended wide, trying to bite Gerwald right in two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom