Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doctor...Who?

Connor nodded, satisfied with her answer.

"Sounds good. Sometimes it's worth taking a risk. Had I not done so coming to First Order space seeking the best doctor I could find, who knows what would happen out there. And if the greatest Jedi of them all hadn't turned up at your door with an over-eager attitude to help and go travelling, you'd never know if you could unlock some secrets to help you out."

He shifted and ambled to the door, resting his hand on the latch to unlock it.

"We can go now if you want. You can patch me up on the way, surely? A lady of your talent doesn't need all these fancy machines does she?"

He smiled, tapping his fingers. Granted, he would probably need to stay, but there was an eagerness in his voice and slight apprehension in not wanting to get Irajah in trouble by being in her care.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

"Who, hold your taun-tauns. This is medicine, not magic," she commented, tone dry, but a smirk on her lips.

"In the field without the right equipment, with no other choice, sure. I could do it. Probably about as well as the folks who put you together the first time. But we're aiming for better than that. That's the whole point. And my professional pride won't allow anything less."

Her smile softened slightly then.

"I appreciate it. I really do. But you need to take care of you first. That's why you're here."

It was a layered statement. It would be easy to read certain things into it- and easy to miss other things.

Irajah suspected, though she couldn't be completely certain, that taking care of other people to the detriment of himself was a thing. And perhaps part of what was leading him down different paths as previously mentioned. But she didn't know him well enough, or feel comfortable enough, to state that.

And of course, obviously a doctor would have that problem, no? It was a simple, obvious reason for someone to go into that profession to begin with. A simple assumption, that she was also admonishing herself.

That was not, however, why Irajah had become a doctor.

"I'm going to need you to stay here- I have some preparations before the procedure. Panatha can wait a few days at least."

The smirk returned as she moved to slip between him and the door.

"Besides, this way I'll know you're doing your physical therapy afterward."

[member="Connor Harrison"]

With a soft roll of his eyes, and a subconscious flex of his damaged hand, Connor submitted.

"I've got nothing but days, and I guess conquering the galaxy does require me to be in top shape. Alright, Doctor Ven, I will wait. A few days at most. Work your magic. The Silver Jedi simply accelerated bone healing that I had touched upon myself, going in with their tools and hacking away. Useless."

A faint call for a ward nurse came out from beyond the door - it made it clear there was a silence between the two, and the good doctor was technically in HIS personal space, and impeeding his choice to leave.

"So," his hand moved from the latch and caught her arm on purpose and trailed down it, "what sort of physical therapy would I need? As I said, I do need to be in top form."

The corner of his mouth curled slightly, and it took a great deal to restrain a full on grin.

Felt good to feel as carefree as this - he hadn't felt it for a long time.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

More with the intention of getting out there to do her job (and hide his lightsaber) than to keep him from leaving, Irajah hadn't intended on standing right there for more than a heartbeat. Her own hand reached out toward the latch as his was leaving it and then-

Ho boy.

With her sleeves rolled down again and covering the bruises, Irajah felt less vulnerable- which in this moment was good. It made casual sass that much easier to muster, even if she was still a little off balance (maybe a lot off balance, but hey, fake it till you make it, right?).

"Flexibility and light strength after that," she said with a momentary ghost of a smirk. "The muscles will need to be retrained after they start to heal- if you leave them unexercised, they stiffen up. It hurts- most people hate it." Her eyes traveled down and then up again, remembering his scars even if she couldn't see them now. "So, you'll probably love it because it will, what was it.... 'remind you what is real'?"

Her tone was playful but not mocking, pulling his words back out at him.

Connor grinned and nodded, a hint of a shrug.

"What is real indeed. That's it."

He stood back and indicated with his hand back to door she was blocking, or moving to - either or, she was in charge.

"I trust you'll provide plenty of tools and techniques for such exercise. As I said, I'm in no rush so will do what the doctor ordered."

He turned and ambled to the bunk, sitting on the edge and started to rub his hand gently.

"Don't let me keep you, Irajah, if you have somewhere else to be. I'll just stay here. On my own. And wait."

[member="Irajah Ven"]

"Well, it's more someplace you need me to be," she said with a quick grin as he sat back down.

Her tone slipped from bantering to something a touch more professional then. The full 'doctor' mask didn't come back down, but a bit of the veil was useful. A way to bring things back into focus. Again and again, he'd left her just slightly unbalanced, and she didn't have the luxury of looking too deeply at that right now.

"Quick stop at my office to drop something off," she murmured, arching an eyebrow. After all, she couldn't keep walking around with the lightsaber clipped under her coat. "And then I'll need to get everything ready for the procedure. A nurse will be coming in to prep you in a little while, but I'll make sure I'm there before they put you under. Until then, relax as much as you can and don't worry." The professional 'friendly but distant' smile was ready and waiting without her really thinking about it. "You are in good hands."

Irajah slipped out the door before he could reply, breathing in deeply once it was shut behind her. She let it out in a long whoosh before heading at a fast clip down the hallway, her shoes tak tak takking against the tiles. The occasional nod or friendly hello to people as she passed- perfectly normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

But when she got back to her office and the door was closed behind her, she sunk down on the couch, dropping her face in to her hands. She sat there for a long time.

The patient nodded, smiling at the evident lightsaber clipped to her side. She was taking a great risk, and he wouldn't get in the way of her duty here or risk her life. Nor would he forget it.

Settling back on the bed in the room, he was half-way between sitting up and lying down, hands rested on his chest as he watched Irajah, picking up she was a little rattled with something.

"Thank you," he said, letting her leave in peace.

When she was gone, he listened to her steps going away and laid his head back, letting out a sigh and began tapping his fingers on the cloth on his chest. He looked down, and decided to remove the top half of his traveler garb, dropping it back down on the ground. Not sure of protocol, he just remained there and looked at his torso, arm and hand, before looking back to the cieling.

Noise of the medical center continued, and he was grateful to have this downtime.

A tannoy called outside.

Connor's eyes moved to the door. What if she had called a stormtrooper garrison in to apprehend the now un-armed Jedi? He was pretty much an enemy on first look, and Irajah didn't have anything to gain from helping him.

A doctor walked past. Another tannoy. A com chimed. More noise. Nothing came of it.

Stop being paranoid.

Connor went back to tapping his chest and waiting, and started thinking about Panatha and what fascinating discoveries could be found. And he thought about Irajah.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

A little while after Irajah left, there was a quick, efficient knock on [member="Connor Harrison"]'s door. The nurse he'd met at intake (the one who had implied certain things about his rear) came in a moment later with a cart. He grinned widely at Connor.

"Half way there I see! Aren't you a go getter? I'm Kyle Darksetter and we're going to get you all set up for your procedure."

He patted a gown on the top of the cart.

"There's a bag under the gown you can put all of your belongings in! I'll give you some privacy as you change!"

Was it possible to be that perky? Apparently, yes.

Irajah finally leaned back against the couch, eyes closed. They flew open a heartbeat later and she frown, digging around behind her. It took a couple of tries to unsnap the lightsaber from the small of her back, but eventually she got it. Drawing it out, she balanced it in both palms, her face impassive as she studied it. This was the first time she'd seen one up close, and she took her time turning it over- always careful however with what was obviously the ignition button.

Eventually though, she wasn't really seeing it any more. Just turning it over and over in her hands, hazel eyes distant.

It had taken two days for her to bury her father. Some part of her had assumed she would be able to bury the dead- but that had been before she'd fully understood the scope of what had happened- and before she understood the severe limitations of strength and endurance she had never before had to contend with. She barely remembered those two days, spent covered in mud, face streaked with tears. A never ending purgatory of one shovel full of damp earth after another. Every time she had to stop, looking with dismay at how little progress she had made.

She'd found his body in the front garden. When her mother lived, the garden had been her domain- she would sit and paint out there for hours, preferring it to the studio inside their home. When she'd died, they had done their best to keep it up, and as the years passed, she thought her father found more and more peace in that place, carefully tending the flowers she had planted, spending hours choosing what new things to plant based on her preferences and the colours already so carefully balanced. She had done her best to compose him, numb with pain and fatigue.

It was too easy, at the time, to ignore the flowers crushed beneath him. Funny then, how clear they were in her mind's eye now.

She'd spent days going through their home afterward. But she couldn't sleep there. She'd return to the silence of the hospital every night, rather than brave the silence of that place. One was far more perverse than the other. She'd found their paintings, hers and her mother's, carefully filed in his office. She'd found baby clothes and old holoimages. She'd thumbed absently through some of his old medical texts- only recently had she realized that some clue to the virus waited on his bookshelf in the form of a blue binder with that strange logo on it. That it had been waiting there for as long as she could remember.

Irajah had given herself all sorts of reasons to look through the house. She would need supplies, if nothing else. But the entire time, in the back of her mind, she had really been searching for one thing.

Her father's lightsaber.

The only reason he had even told her that he'd been a Jedi was so he could teach her the technique that would ease her mother's suffering in her final months. He'd never spoken of it again after that, even growing angry the one time Irajah had tried to bring it up herself. He had not been a man prone to fits of anger, and she had let it go, surprised and hurt by the outburst. It seemed that, other than his admission and the transmission of the technique, there was no trace of anything in his life regarding his time as a Jedi.

She wondered bleakly, for a moment, how he would feel about it being the thing keeping her alive. Had he known, then, that she would use it herself? It was possible. But he had never hinted at it. Never told her. Even though he must have known, every day, the risk he posed to those around them.

To her.

Her face darkened and she stood up suddenly. Walking purposefully across the room, she unlocked the lowest drawer in her desk, settling the implement carefully inside before locking it again. Without a backward glance, she hurried out of her office. As if the swift, decisive motions could leave behind the subconscious awareness of the projection inherent in those thoughts. Somewhere deep, she of course knew that this anger was not completely for Simon Ven.

Because she was doing the exact same thing now. As she closed the office door behind her, the small, cycling holoprojector on the shelf flickered to a new image. The face of a young, blue skinned boy, gazing thoughtfully at a large box in the middle of a child's bedroom. Because as surely as her father had kept it from her, so was she keeping it from [member="Boo Chiyo"].

"A pleasure," Connor said, a little amused at the over-eagerness of Nurse Darksetter.

The Jedi rolled over and took the gown, sizing it up before slipping it over his head and down his body. Flicking his eyes up the Nurse, Connor simply chuckled softly as he reached under to loosen his belts and kicked off his slacks. A lot less troublesome than the usual tunic he wore. However, the gown covering him was less than flattering.

With a little sigh, he sat on the bed, flexed his hand and rolled back to position, lacing his hands and looking to Darksetter.

"Thank you, Nurse. And when you get the chance, please pass to your superiors that Doctor Ven needs more than she has here - a bigger office, more funding for research. A promotion. She's the best doctor I've come across in my travels and deserves to be recognized. You tell them."

Settling his head down, he looked up again and waited for the pre-op check and god knows what else procedure entailed.

He could wake up and it'd be over, or he could wake up in a cell, or he could be laid here for hours waiting for the chance to be operated on.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Kyle had turned away as [member="Connor Harrison"] had changed, but was now merrily rolling up a stool once he was sitting again.

As he worked (taking a blood sample, asking questions about allergies, noting pain levels on a scale, setting up an IV), between official actions, he seemed thrilled to gossip with his patient.

"Oh, she's a doll," Kyle agreed as he tapped a needle in the air. "Hasn't been here long, but she's one of the nicest doctors here. So many think that they are better than the nurses, that we work for them, just to do the chit jobs they don't want to do," he complained good naturedly, making a face. "But Doctor Ven? Have to keep reminding her that no, that part's our job. And she gets so flustered. Administration doesn't really know what to make of her, but we love her."

He just chatted away, perfectly comfortable telling Connor things that he proooooobably shouldn't be. It was hard at first for Connor to get a word in edgewise.

"And her kid? He's just the cutest. I mean, he's not *hers*. She never said anything, but it's pretty obvious. "They moved here just because she wanted to let him go to the best schools. She never told me, but Annalise in Personnel Resources says she adopted him on Coruscant- you know, after the Alliance came in and took over. His skin is blue, so it's not like they're fooling anyone. But they are so sweet, like a real family I could just die when I see them together. She's trying so hard, but I think," he leaned in, lowering his voice, "I think she's kind of overwhelmed. She's been here so much, and I don't think she's sleeping all that well. Have you seen the bags under her eyes?" Kyle shook his head, tutting slightly, fingers nimbly setting up the IV. "Just a quick pinch!"

Kyle liked to talk, but that was partly his job. Distract and keep the patient busy. And at least he had more emotion than the med-droids. Connor nodded, smiled, looked down at his arm, the usual.

He moved his body this way, turned his arm that way, held this here, all while the prep was carried out.

But the bubbly chat about the child, Boo, really caught his attention. It seemed the good doctor was more than just a good and thoughtful practitioner of medicine, but she as also a Samaritan.

"She sounds very trUE..." the IV caught him off-guard, a little pinch indeed! "sorry. True of heart, I was saying. I didn't know she had a child. Refugee from Coruscant? Orphan? It's a good thing what she did. Thank you, too, Kyle."

How he wanted to delve deeper, but Kyle wasn't going to say more, and Connor wasn't going to pry in respect for both him and Irajah, but his mind was certainly in thought now. IV set up and ready, he sat back, thinking about what she had done. And where she was now.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

What was Irajah doing while Kyle spilled the gossip?

A cup of caf was the first thing on Irajah's list after leaving her office. The doctor's lounge always had a pot going, and she headed there. She tched ​when she realized someone had put the carafe back empty. Instead of leaving it and heading to one of the other sources of sweet life blood in the hospital, she took a minute to brew a fresh pot. Glancing with a certain squint at the little sign someone had left beside the machine 'Please don't leave me empty!' with an unbearably cute smiley face, she tapped the counter a little impatiently as she waited.

When she left the lounge a few minutes later, she was flapping one hand after burning her tongue on the first sip, trying not to spill as she hurried down the hallway.

The next half hour was a flurry of arrangements and discussions, including a quick consult with another doctor over [member="Connor Harrison"]'s scans to make certain she hadn't missed anything. As it so happened, she hadn't, but it was a necessary precaution, in her mind at least.

The nitty gritty of the OR prep was fully handled by others. Technically, Irajah just had to show up on time. But she checked in with each of the staff after she scrubbed in, checking over the details.

"Alright, we're all set!" Kyle said, still smiling. "Get comfy."

He unlocked the wheels on the bed, and with an obscenely bright grin, wheeled Connor out of the room.

"Heading down to pre-op now, Doc Ven will meet us down there."

Kyle was alright. Lots of passion, enthusiasm and a kind face. He could have been a lot worse, but as he wasn't, Connor made light conversation during the prep and before long it was time to head out.

"Thank you Kyle."

Comfy was how he felt, actually taking time to get himself checked and treated, resting for once without fighting it or finding reason to be somewhere else. It was a nice change of pace and if it helped with his healing, then it would be even more worth it.

The corridors of the center wheeled by, com chimes, doctors talking and the audible click of the stormtrooper helmets in conversation that he picked up for a few seconds when passing by.

In the moments to himself, Connnor mulled over what secrets lay on Panatha, eager to visit as Irajah's guest and not some fool Jedi wading into liberate or invade. There was so much more he felt he could do without that pressure. It was exciting. This really was the first step to healing both body and mind.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

By the time the doors slid open to admit Kyle and [member="Connor Harrison"], the extraneous crew had gone off to do other work, leaving just Irajah and another white clad nurse behind.

"Good luck," Kyle said, leaning over to wink at Connor before passing off control of the bed.

Irajah's mask was loose below her chin, so her smile was clearly visible as she stepped up next to him.

"Are you all set?" She asked, the full mask of 'doctor' in place on her face again. The time seperated had made that easier to put back on. "We'll be putting you under for the procedure, but I'm sure Nurse Darksetter mentioned that," she explained, nodding to the nurse absently as she did. "Do you have any questions for me before we start?"

With a small nod and smile, the cool as a cucumber Connor continued to gently tap his fingers either side of his body, the drip in place. He smiled to Kyle and gave a small nod.

He was happy see the face of Irajah, and it meant she was true to her word. No First Order commander here to take him away...but then he hadn't been put under yet, so there was still time for the Jedi prisoner to be shipped out the back door.

"None. All set. But, be gentle," he whispered. "Oh, if I wake up in one piece, you can tell me about your child on the way to Panatha. Or after you clock off over a drink. Either or."

Connor gave a small wink and a little exhale before turning his head to look up and signal he was ready.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

She blinked in surprised as she looked down at him, her mouth forming a question that she never ended up asking. Because how could he possibly know about-

Blink blink. FROWN.

Irajah was going to murder Kyle before his next break. If he was smart, he'd get at least a city over before she was done here. Of course, the problem was that Kyle wasn't that smart. Nice and maw take it *chatty*. But. Not smart. If he had been, well. He wouldn't be so casual in talking about a woman who had full access to the pharmacy and an alibi.

Fortunately, the other nurse in the room had missed the exchange (she hoped).

"Glad you and Kyle are making friends," she said, trying to make her tone carefully in the friendly realm of neutral. She reached over, hooking his IV up.

"Now, we're going count backward from ten, okay? Ten..... nine..... eight..... oh, and Kyle thought you were here because you had something unfortunate stuck in your bum. Seven....... aaaaaand he's out."

She'd been smiling sweetly when she said it. Small revenge.

Lazy blue eyes drifted to hers, and the words went in but he was too out of it to say anything...something about his rear...?

It all went black.

Peace, at last.

Nobody talking.

Nobody shouting.

Nobody fighting.

Hopefully he would wake feeling stronger than before.

He'd need to.

What was Irajah doing?

She had a beautiful smile.

And her hair fell around her pretty face.

Maybe she'd be there when he woke?

Or a legion of First Order troopers having strapped him to an interrogation chair.

Hopefully he'd wake up.

He had lots to do.

Hopefully.

Light creeped in a little. Then blacked out. Then, a bit more.

Connor started to come to, eyes opening gradually as if from the deepest of sleeps that he had needed for years. The blur of light was positive - he was either in a well lit room or in heaven. The First Order wouldn't interrogate in a well lit cell.

His fingers twitched and he blinked slowly to see what, or who was around him. Wherever he was.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

After that brief moment of utterly puerile nonsense, Irajah had settled into the easy, familiar patterns of her work. This was not a routine surgery, but it also wasn't dangerous beyond the normal scope (after all, it was never completely safe to open up a human being pumped full of drugs to knock them out). The collar bone was the easiest, and she started there. His hand, however, was a much more delicate, detail oriented job. And one that had already been partially botched, a fact made clearer as she worked. It irritated her professional sensibilities- doing it properly the first time would have saved so much pain. She wasn't annoyed to be here, hunched over [member="Connor Harrison"] 's hand. She was glad to be able to put this to rights. But the fact that it had been done like this at all, well- Irajah's opinion of the Jedi was already low. She saw how they interacted with 'normal' people, after all. But to consider this appropriate treatment for one of their own, and a Master in their order at that?

No. Irajah was not impressed.

By the time she was finished, hours had passed. It would have been quicker and easier to give him a prosthetic, even considering the connections to the nervous system. The technology was excellent and many people opted for that over reconstruction and the lengthy recovery process. But that hadn't been why he'd come here.

Under other circumstances, other patients, Irajah might have gone back to her office for a nap on the couch. She was exhausted. She tired easily these days. But two things kept her at his side- one was the risk, who he was, where he was. The other was the spectre of the lightsaber in her desk and everything that went along with it.

It would take time for the anesthesia to wear off, so after they moved him into recovery, she had pulled up a chair. At one point, Kyle had gone by, arching an eyebrow at the sight of Doctor Irajah Ven, head pillowed by crossed arms on the edge of Connor's bed, asleep. Moving quietly, he'd checked the read outs on the patient. He'd be waking up soon, but everything looked just fine. He should, he considered, wake up Doc Ven so she could compose herself before her patient woke up. Kyle smiled.

Nope.

A faint click of machinery, a small recurring beep and a whirr of an automated droid brought Connor around again. He had dozed off after just coming to. A dry throat was the first thing he felt, and a few more blinks of dry eyes.

He lolled his head left, and then right, and remembered his hand. He flexed it gently, and he could still feel it, which was a bonus. Lifting his head a little, he looked down upon the hand bearing marks of surgery but then looked past it to the figure asleep at the bottom of the bed.

Doctor Ven?

Swallowing, which was tricky on a dry throat, Connor shuffled slightly, not knowing what to do. Wake her or leave her. There was nobody else in the room, and it was peaceful. While his body ached, and he was very hungry and thirsty, everything seemed to be ok. This was certainly a recovery room and not a cell.

Wincing, he moved his leg ever so slightly out of her way and tried to lean forward. He looked at her sleeping and chuckled a little. He reached out, wincing, and trailed his hand down her dark hair gently, brushing it to see her face. Certainly sleeping. Feeling a pull in his chest, he winced again and sat back, exhaling and laying still, making the most of doing little.

[member="Irajah Ven"]

Irajah startled awake only a minute later. The tendrils of the nightmare faded quickly in the bright light of the recovery room, surrounded by familiar sounds. Her breathing slowed, the echoing of her heart hammering in her ears dropping to a dull roar as the blank, staring eyes melted into the background.

She blinked owlishly, trying to figure out where exactly she was in that moment- falling asleep in unfamiliar places was disorienting. Running her hand back through her hair she turned her head-

And remembered where she'd fallen asleep when she saw [member="Connor Harrison"].

Chit.

She stood up quickly enough that her feet got caught in the legs of the chair and she almost ended up folding up with it to the floor. She caught herself on the edge of the bed, face turning slightly pink as she righted herself, motions firm as she straightened her lab coat.

"How are you feeling?"

Yes, let's try normal. Try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom