Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Admin votes to be public?

Do you want admin votes to be public?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • No.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • We trust you guys.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • We suspect Staff is biased.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • How about a middle ground - Tef posts a summary of the votes, after each one, to let us know what is

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
There's always going to be suspicion of bias in a pvp-oriented environment, because people will always want to turn to some outside influence as the root cause for why things aren't going their way. This is not a bad thing, because sometimes... sometimes they can be right. And while it may look like crying wolf to some of us, you never truly know.

I've always held this Staff team to a high standard. We've always attempted to be transparent, but there is so much that we do behind the scenes that could be influenced by the public or could influence the public in a very negative manner.

For instance, I'm hesitant to move votes to public because of the drama it could incur, and the focus on that drama would pull away from the fun of the game. I'm further hesitant to put my Staff team under a microscope because it would motivate them to not always be forthcoming when I know they otherwise are. Responses, whether intentionally or not, would be crafted with the understanding that they are being judged by the community.

On the other hand, I acknowledge there is a group of people who inherently distrust the Staff team, and I wish to lift the curtains and air this laundry. We were all new to this when we started 3 years ago, we were all just role-players who wanted somewhere... better. Now that I have these years of experience under my belt and a much larger community to manage, I further acknowledge that it is the community that directs me where to go... and my team will follow me.

Vote, or don't.

[member="Tefka"]

I like the idea of a middle ground - To simply see what is being voted on so that the members have an idea as to what is being discussed in terms of the direction of Chaos, but there is no need for us to see the votes of each individual staff member. Like ballots, I think that should be private.

[member="Tefka"]

Middle ground would be good, since (as you said) showing the individual votes may result in staff members being harassed for their decision -- whether or not they had a good reason for voting the way they did. Otherwise, it could create a headache for them to either defend their decision on a constant basis or (if they chose to ignore the hecklers) have to deal with them in the first place.

And if it wouldn't already be included in the summary, I believe showing a percentage of staffers who voted for what would be an interesting thing to look at, since it would show how divided or how unanimous a particular issue was. It could even be formatted as such: 10 folks out of 100 (10%) voted to give out donuts, 50 out of 100 (50%) voted to not give out donuts, and 40 out of 100 (40%) ate the donuts anyway.

[member="Benedali Serrus"]

There's only 5-6 of us at any given time, so I believe just posting a fraction would suffice - but I have no issue doing so if ya'll decide I will go the middle ground.

I'm happy for votes to be public, as I have some faith put that all votes will be justified by those making them. If they are Admins, we respect and understand the decision as we need to have someone in charge, and they are that someone. People who go too far and harass and be nasty can get a slap on the wrist for it because there's no need.

EDIT: A good point has been made. What we don't know can't hurt us and in these times that is more important than knowing too much. I retract my YES for a NO but stand by my comment about hoping people stay civil whatever is decided by Admin.

[member="Connor Harrison"]

I will not pursue disciplinary action against someone for being outraged by an Admin's vote unless he/she is in violation of a board rule.

[member="Benedali Serrus"]

This thread only covers Admin votes, not Staff votes.

Admin votes cover most general forum/rule changes, whereas Staff votes cover more ancillary functions such as Mastering characters etc. I am not open to making those public, as they pertain to individual non-Staff members.

I'll risk my Staff members, I won't risk community members.

I personally think admin decisions should be kept in private. Once things like that start coming to light it really only creates drama that could have been avoided in the first place. While I think it would help clear the air with people who disagree with the decision, I could potentially see it causing more of an argument then if they were not public. By that, I mean, say you post the votes and then someone sees something wrong with the way someone voted and now it becomes about their personal decision in regards to the vote and is no longer even about what they voted for.

You guys have made an amazing board without publishing the votes, so obviously you are doing something right, so I trust any and all decisions you guys have. Being perfectly honest, I don't want to know what is going on behind the scenes, I like knowing that you guys are out there doing your thing without dirtying the waters by giving someone a reason to be mad over nothing.

Okay, time to go again. In every comunity there's going to be one person who classes the staff as bias. I think people have to learn to understand that the staff are doing what they can for you. That being said I believe certain things I'm fine with sharing. Rule changes, fine. Some stuff is fine to be kept private for all I care, I don't need to know about votes to switch up staff. I just believe that the community knowing who agrees with what effects us is a good thing.

I trust all of you admin staff, yes even you [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] and I personally believe none of you are bias until it comes to picking your favorite FOOTBALL (not soccer) teams. Yes it is West Brom. There will always be people who think the staff are bias, and I know you try and please everyone so.

Again, that being said I would trial it. See how people react to it.

Yes Thurion, I was joking. I trust you, mostly. *gives cookie*

Gotta admit, I don't have enough faith in people to say this won't turn into a hot mess, even in the middle ground. Still, a general summary of what the vote was on can't hurt... much. I mean general to the point where the number of votes isn't mentioned. 'Cos admins will still get sniped at if you put that out.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
We don't pick the Admins, Tef. You do. So I'm just fine with their decisions remaining in that sphere. Yours. :)

I voted no.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
In the past, I've found that a middle ground can go a long way towards easing suspicions. You don't have to say exactly how everyone voted, but simply by providing a summary of the reasoning behind the vote can make things a little easier.

Jay Scott Clark said:
We don't pick the Admins, Tef. You do.
Yeah, but ya'll picked me by coming to SWRP, so in a way - ya'll picked them too. I'm a package deal.

tumblr_n157o3oDYS1qltsx9o2_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom