Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Difficult Assignment

Kyra fell back on her heels as she watched JJ pry the last of it out with a knife. "Is that-..." she breathed, unable to finish her sentence. Yes, it was, wasn't it. A crystal. But they had not allowed her to go on that hunt. They had said she wasn't ready.

Confusion and wonderment filled her chest, the girl staring dumbly at the soft _____ glow as JJ grasped it in his hands. He pulled it free from the rock, a sensation that left her gasping in relief. It was free, it was- her hands reached out for it, only for it to pass into JJ's satchel on his hip instead. She stared in dumb confusion, pain launching through her chest.

His words didn't reach her, the padawan staring at his satchel.

"Wh-what?" Her voice echoed, wounded and thick with the emotion. Why did he do this? Take her out just to remind her what she couldn't have-- what she wasn't ready for? The crystal didn't care about the mistakes she had or hadn't made that led to this point, it merely chose her, and compulsed her accordingly. Now to not even be able to touch it- To stare it in the face and then-

Tears built along her lash line, the padawan barely containing the emotional response she usually would have usually, thoughtlessly let lose. Maybe this was a test.

"But master, it's mine," she insisted, her voice painfully tight.

She didn't listen.

Judah sighed as his hands gripped the girl by her arms. His aura reached out to hers, a wave of peace and calm would wash over her. The strength of her empathic abilities were beginning to overpower the natural inclination Judah had toward the mental abilities of the force as well. As his father, JJ was stronger with the abilities that focused on the mind above the more physical. If he did not calm her own, he would not be able to focus himself.

"When we get out of here, then you can have it. In the meantime, I know you felt that thing following us. It will be attracted to your crystal, and your saber is a training saber. I'd rather have that thing come after me than you. What kind of master would I be if I used you as bait?"

Hopefully this time she listened. They didn't have much choice than to venture out the way they came. Judah sensed no other exit. The creature following them would reveal itself soon enough, but they had to keep their wits about them. The Shadowlands were not safe, even for someone like JJ, trained in the force. If anything happened to Kyra under his watch in area he was not supposed to have the padawans, JJ was going to be the one in trouble. An unconventional master for an unconventional student, perhaps it was going to work.

He led them out of the cave.

"Like I said... keep your senses open... it could attack from anywhere and we do not want to be surprised."

It was then JJ heard it, a shriek from the air. The creature had wings and was coming for them directly, a nose dive.

[member="Kyra Perl"]

"You're not my master," she inserted stubbornly, unable to let got of what he had done to her. "You're not even a master." She stood, the tears falling down her face in angry trails. She wiped them away, hurting and lashing out at him for it.

Why did she always have to be the snubbed one? Why couldn't she just for once-- his aura washed over her, causing her shoulders to drop in an instant. For someone that could manipulate others emotions, she was awfully susceptible to being manipulated in turn. His grip on her arms allowed him to get her to her feet with no resistance, the padawan pouting fiercely up at him as they came back the way they had come.

She shuffled her feet, not reaching out to sense for threats, not focusing on anything but the crystal and how unfair it was that she didn't get to keep it. When the shriek came from above, she was not prepared. She squeaked in return, her hand raising above them on instinct, calling forth a barrier from the force. The creature rammed into it, it's beak crunching under the direct impact to her force field. It dropped dead weight to the ground, it's stunned fall giving her a chance to draw her saber.

"Wha-what is it?" Came her panicked voice.

So when polite didn't work she went after the low blows? Not a master? duh! Not her master? That remained to be seen. As a Jedi Knight JJ could take on a Padawan learner if he wanted to. The council had forced this pairing whether they liked it or not, but JJ still wanted it to be voluntary. Her problem was she did not trust him. She needed to trust him. Hopefully the beast flying at them would make her do just that.

JJ pulled her out of the way just as the creature dove directly at them.

"That was a close one," JJ said as he wiped some sweat from his brow. He pointed to the creature. "That is a Mykal I believe, and it is not going to be nice. Now... you have a choice, you can trust me or not. Whatever you decide is up to you, but I suggest you trust me hmmm?"

The Knight waited for her answer, though thought better of it. There was one thing she was after, the crystal. It was hers, but JJ was trying to protect her.

"Listen, I know you want to hold that crystal, I know it is likely still calling to you, but focus on the beast. Let's kill this thing, then I'll give you the crystal!"

Would she nod? Did she understand?

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Her pout turned fierce. If he was looking to give her motivation, well he sure had.

"Fine." She dropped the protective force field she had used to save them with, a light breeze wooshing over her hair as she did so. The creature was starting to rise. Kyra reached within herself, tapping into the force around her. Before it could fully catch its footing, Kyra lifted it, holding its squirming body locked in place. She grunted at the effort, the Mykal buffering its wings in a hopes to break free. She had never lifted anything so large before, but she was angry, and frustrated to boot.

She shoulda been on that crystal hunting field trip.

She shoulda been good enough for real saber herself.

But she wasn't, and it hurt. Her training saber would not kill the thing, so she reached towards the ground instead, shooting a marbel size rock up and through the underside of the creatures head. It zipped out through its skull in a gush of blood. An ear-bleeding screeched echoing through the air. Kyra let it drop, panting as it wreathed before them.

The crystal. She held out her hand for it, a sheen of sweat reflecting off the warm glow he produced.

Darkness. The mirky feeling was all too familiar to JJ. He had felt it from the first sith he had killed. He had felt it tugging at his soul the more he questioned what he had done by killing her. This was a sensation which JJ had spent his day since keeping at bay. Now he felt it from her.

HER

Kyra needed guidance, but JJ had not expected that she would need this kind of guidance. The anger that burned at not getting her own way was more shocking than the raw power which was used to deal with the beast she had just decimated. JJ looked at the outstretched hand. Kyra demanded her crystal, and yet she had failed to do the one thing which Judah had asked her.

"I asked you to trust me, not show me what you can do."

It was a statement with no emotion. There was no anger, but there was no pleasure. JJ's voice was indifferent. His body language was the only thing which gave away his disappointment. Rather than place the crystal in her hand, JJ walked past her. It was simple. The crystal could have been hers just as easily, but how could JJ hand the gem over to a padawan that could not trust him? How could he trust her with a real lightsaber when she could not follow one simple request. His eyes turned down to the ground as he began to walk back to the lift which would take them back up to Silver Rest. Perhaps it was time for this adventure to be over.

"You may not like the fact the council paired you with me. You may not like what I ask, or my methods, but if we are going to make a go of it, you have to trust me. You have potential. You are powerful. However you have to learn to control your power or it will control you. I can help you, but Kyra, you have to trust me!"

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Kyra scrambled after him, flabbergasted. "What are you talking about! I did what you asked me to do! You wanted it dead! It was gonna get us-- but now it won't-- and the crystal is safe! What part of that is me not trusting you? Where are you going!" She grabbed at his arm, trying to stop him from walking away.

His disappointment cut daggers through her, the padawan thinking she had done something right there. She had handled a problem-- efficiently for once. She had moved something bigger than she ever had and finally-- she had eliminated a threat without flinching! So what if it wasn't human-- it was still a life that she would feel horrible about later. But she had done what she had to do-- how wasn't that growth? What was the problem this time?

"What did I do wrong," she demanded, trying to force him to face her. She huffed heavy breaths at him as she stared him down, her fingers tight on his wrist as she tried to make him stay. Betrayal was biting sharply at her tear ducts, his disappointed reaction no different than all the mentors before him.

He wasn't so different after all. It killed her.

"You never once stopped... you just acted, and out of anger with me for taking your crystal."

Judah spoke plainly as he stopped on his heels, letting the Zeltron pull him around to face her. He could see the sting in her eye, the tears that threatened to fall because of his reaction. He wanted to be different. JJ wanted to teach her, help her, guide her, but how could he do that if she did not listen to him.

He let his words sink in for a moment. If she would stop long enough to think she would realize that she used her power while angry, a step toward the dark side.

"I said let's kill this thing... meaning we do this together. You just went and killed it yourself. Which I will admit is pretty damn impressive, but you just rushed in. Believe me I am one to talk. I am guardian for crying out loud, but you are still training, this crystal is for your first real lightsaber. You will do a lot of damage with the weapon, and it is my job to make sure you don't hurt yourself or your allies when using it."

JJ looked back to the platform and sighed before the eyes he inherited from his mother looked back to the young padawan.

"Alright... what do you know about building a lightsaber, anything? Maybe we can start there, make a project of it or something."

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Her fingers released him in a bout of shock, his final words startling her.

"You mean- You're still gonna..." The wedge in her throat slid down to her chest, where a sense of hope coiled tightly, waiting to be dashed.

"But the other Masters said no," was all she said, her voice dissipating out around them as she waited for him to confirm what she feared. It was just a joke.

"I am not the others, am I?"

JJ was pretty sure they had already established that fact. He shrugged then scratched his head. This one intrigued him, and whatever it was the council thought he could accomplish by being a mentor to the young Zeltron was still beyond him. They clicked, which was a good thing, but she was certainly going to prove a challenge. They had too many similarities, and JJ wondered if they would end up pushing each other closer to the edge they needed to avoid. Then again, Judah had watched his father walk the edge of that line his entire life without giving into it and falling completely. It seemed possible.

"I could no more deny you the right of making your own lightsaber when a crystal called out to you than I can the right for another to breathe. I don't get to decide when you're ready, the force does, and clearly..."

JJ reached into his satchel and held out the crystal, presenting to to the young Zeltron.

"...it thinks you're ready. So, back to my question. What do you know about making a lightsaber?"

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Excitement blossomed through Kyra, her restrained hope exploding out at his words. "Oh absolutely nothing!" She exclaimed, all too cheerful for a set of words that dubbed her as stupid, more or less.

Joza had been more keen on tutoring her daughter in the force side of things, both because that was where Kyra was strongest and because stabbing at your daughter never really fit her coddling parent style. Tutors had instructed Kyra in between her times in academies. But some things were left for after the basics and. Well. She had never stuck through long enough to get there.

She snatched up the crystal, its creamy-white glow warming her features. She gazed into it in adoration, her fingers traveling across its rough edges. She had done it. Part of her had thought she'd never get this far. The fact that she was holding it felt surreal.

"But that's okay," she chirped. "You can show me. Like. Now, right?" A wide smile was brought up to meet him, her previous anger forgotten.

NOW!? This one was eager and clearly further confirming the fact she did not know anything about building a lightsaber. How was JJ supposed to show her something like that? There was only one thing which came to mind, but the shadowlands was not the place for it. That meant his answer to his question was a simple one.

"Not here, no," he said shaking his head and walking to the platform.

His eyes spanned the jump. He could make, but could she. There was only one way to find out. JJ smirked. The girl had jumped to the ground without him on their way down, and this time he would return the favor. This was certainly not something any responsible mentor would do, but JJ was not completely responsible. Pressing the force to his legs, JJ knelt and pushed off the ground in a massive leap which saw him span the distance between the ground and the platform they had jumped from.

"What are you waiting for," he shot back to the girl similar words to what she had used earlier. His eyes looked down on her daring her to make the jump. In truth he hoped she could make. JJ believed in her potential, and knew she would be a powerful knight and master herself one day. This was his part in shaping her, and he was glad to play it.

"The sooner you get up here the sooner I can show you what you have to look forward to..."

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Kyra stuttered, her confidence sputtering out of her as she stared up at him. As it turned out, she couldn't make such a jump. Or rather, she never had before. And she wasn't about to try and make a fool out of herself doing so, to boot. She clutched the crystal to her chest, swallowing hard.

"Ha-haha. Okay. Very funny. The rope?"

"Wait... you mean to tell me you can jump this whole length down and catch yourself, but you can't leap back up here?"

JJ chuckled and shook his head. Force jump was one of the most basic skills every Force User learned. How Kyra had not learned it yet as a 16 or 17 year old Padawan was beyond him. He canted his head, maybe she was older? His thoughts almost ran away with his mind, but the impatience he could feel from the young Padawan pulled at his attention.

"Okay, here is the deal, you're gonna jump up here, and I'm going to help."

He chuckled a bit before speaking again.

"Focus the force into your legs, and almost imagine a burst of energy leaving them and propelling you upward as you jump. You can do this!"

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Oh she knew it alright. She just didn't believe she could make it. However, she had no interest in being left behind. The cocky grin to his face and the twinkle in his eye had her thinking he might actually do just that. Which was unsettling. She usually could trust the Master's to always lend her a hand.

She gave a few distressed whines for good measure, trying to coax that sympathetic assistance out of him. But it never came. She wasn't sure what else she expected-- he wasn't suppose to be like the others, after all.

"I am so telling on you," she threatened. She wouldn't, not in a million years. If today was just a taste of what curious things he could show her, you could color her intrigued. She wouldn't jeopardize it for all the vindictive justice in the world. She tucked the crystal into her pocket and bit her lip, staring up at the cliff face face with eyes that watered in distress.

One. Two...

She jumped, the force swelling up around her in an over enthusiastic attempt at aid. She went rocking over him, yelping as she did so. The yelp turned to a scream as her upward momentum arched back down. Her hand flashed out, reaching for his in a desperate bid for that help he promised.

Like I said. She didn't practice like she should. Being social was so much more appealing. And she was a baby when there was someone else around to do the work for her.

"And what are you going to tell them... I was in the Shadowlands even though I am not supposed to be, but I got a crystal so it must be okay? By the way the guy you stuck me with made jump..."

Judah smiled, a bit proud of himself in the moment. That did not last too long as the girl actually attempted her jump. JJ could sense it... there was too much energy. The girl truly was full of strong potential, but that was going to lead to a lot of problems. His eyes followed as she darted above him, her hand reached for his, and JJ caught her, barely.

The force wrapped around the girl like a soft blanket which was tethered to the Jedi Knight. Slowly JJ helped to bring her down so she could stand on her feet. Practice, she needed practice and a lot of it.

"At least I know what you need to work on."

JJ waited for her to catch her breath before starting to head back to the place they met.

"You are going to have to practice, and you'll need to let me help you get control. I am not orthodox, and the missions I take, well, if you ever join me on one, I don't take the same approach as most. You'll need to be able to keep up when you're with me. Is that something you think you can do?"

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Kyra straighten, her hair frazzled and falling out of a braid. "Of course," she replied, indignant.

She scrambled after him, tripping over the ends of her robes as she went. She had never been more eager to train before, but in this moment he could have asked her to sit down and clear her mind and she would have tried it.

"When do we start? Are you free today? I'm free today. I mean, we could totally start now if you want. It's cool. I'm down. I mean, if you're down." She ran up to his side, looking desperately up to him. "You're not gonna make me wait weeks to do anything, are you?" It was a whine, and a sign of her impatient streak that always got in the way of her lessons. Once more, a small wave of pheromones touched at his senses.

She was very use to getting what she wanted. In everything but training, that was.

"Now," JJ questioned, "as in right this instant?"

JJ had not planned on teaching the girl anything. He simply wanted to get a feel for her, but he could sense this was one area where she seemed to be desperate. If JJ didn't teach her certain things, she would seek out someone who would, and he got the impression she could care less if it were Jedi or Sith. Judah chuckled. He was about to send a wave of calming energy when the girl hit him with another wave of pheromones. This time he could not ignore the feeling which came with them. They were persuasive, convincing, and JJ was only beginning to understand all too well how his father had found himself lured in by Magena Dray, the mother of his half brother.

He shook his head, and pressed back with a calming wave from the force.

"Patience, before you find yourself pushing out more of those pheromones than you intend to."

JJ smiled.

"Meet me here in the morning... if you want to train then we start with the basics, my basics."

He locked eyes with Kyra hoping the answer was going to be satisfactory. It was not now, but it was also not weeks away. The promise was one more night until her lessons with JJ began.

[member="Kyra Perl"]

Oh that was about all the quarter zeltron could muster. But she wasn't about to tell him that.

Still, she grinned as she got his agreement. The morning wasn't too far-- or unreasonable. Or too impossible to bare. She could do that. She could wait! His calming presence bore down on her, the energetic edge to her eyes softening. She was none the wiser to this, nodding agreeably at him. The morning wasn't far at all. She could wait. Besides she was hungry, and the sun had dipped low in the horizon since their time in the shadowland, leaving them with the most peculiar sensation of never leaving there at all.

"Alright!" She chirped, bouncing on her toes. "Morning! 8 am! Same spot! Be there or be sith." And with her hand on the crystal, the bubbly padawan went up on her toes and pecked his cheeks. Then turned to skiddadle with a pep in her step.

She was gettin her waaaay~

8 am? The girl had no concept of an early rise did she? The country boy in JJ scoffed at the idea of such a late start, but he wasn't going to argue, not this time. He was not in a real position too. The girl refused to listen to him when it came to certain things, and the peck on his cheek was filled with another example of how the girl seemingly did what she wanted regardless of what was said or what she was told to do. JJ simply shrugged as she bounced off in the direction of her living quarters, and JJ turned in the opposite direction of his. A brisk run was needed to clear his head before trying to attempt any kind of sleep for the night.

The morning came all too fast, but with it came a new day. JJ was awake long before his alarm was set to go off, it was always this way for the young man. A sigh escaped his lips as it finally went off and he pulled himself out of bed with not enough sleep. The Knight would manage, but more sleep would have been nice. After all, [member="Kyra Perl"] was starting her training with him, well, the things he could teach her anyway.

They were supposed to meet at 8 am, so JJ was waiting for her outside the training facility where they had left each other night before. In his hand was a hot mug of black caf, the only thing JJ would ever claim to have an addiction to. His mother started him on the caf habit when he was younger, and it stuck. This JJ was not the collected, kata performing, contemplative JJ the Zeltron had met the day before. This JJ was the one was more akin to a farmer than a Jedi. There were things to do today, work that had to be finished, and the young Knight could feel the anxious desire to see everything accomplished creeping in.

Breath.

He took a sip of his caf and looked in the direction where Kyra should have been coming from. Was she going to be on time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom