Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dead God; Dread Wolf | Empyrean

Relationship Status: It's Complicated

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

WEARING: xxx
WEAPONS: Wolfsbane | Ferrum Solus | Blodmåne | Strømafbryder
TAG: Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Ambition filled the hearts of many Sith. It was the common quality which drove them to build and expand a kingdom or an empire. The wolf had watched many succumb to the seductive song of the flowery and tantalizing promises siren. She was a monster, a succubus, content with draining the life of those who fell under her spell. None were immune to it, not even Gerwald could resist the sweet melody of wanting more, becoming more, of achieving more. His only saving grace was his perception that far too many sith were about to give the dark mistress a sick and overfull stomach.

They were all about to extinguish her appetite, and it would be at the expense of the empire Empyrean was trying to build.

Gerwald could not say it was his altruistic nature which carried him to the palace on Jutrand. His own measure of pride and ambition still tempted him enough that the wolf was beginning to play a game he never thought he would. He loathed the politics many of the Sith were playing, but he could not do what Empyrean had originally tasked him with if he did not. The wolf could not remain some ambiguous shadow or the attack dog leashed to the emperor’s throne. The Lord Commander needed to become a player in the game, a central figure that stood as an immovable object to those who wished to overtake the Eternal Throne.

He was unannounced, not that it was a requirement. Gerwald had earned the right to come and go as he pleased where the Dead God was concerned. The lupine was still not used to seeing the form he had taken, and he was certain he never would be. Part of him looked like the beast which had managed to trap Naedira Darcrath Naedira Darcrath for so long. That was a change since last they met. Naedira was free, and the wolf was confident the emperor already knew of it from his wife. Srina would not have kept that secret from her husband, not when it was something which would continue to ensure Gerwald’s loyalty to them.

The medallion which Empyrean had given Gerwald was held firmly in his hand. It was a seal to denote his loyalty, but the thing which also gave him the authority to act with the independence he had been granted. The object had since become something which was restricting the wolf’s movements. He was getting boxed in, and a trapped animal was one which became unpredictable.

The visit came with a heavy proposition, one the wolf was almost loath to make. Empyrean had designated Gerwald as a weapon, one which the Dead God would yield as he saw fit. Now the wolf stood before the emperor prepared to strategize and scheme like any good Sith would seem to do. While Gerwald had his own personal reasons for doing so, his primary purpose was to unite the empire, and in one swift action, cut down those who still opposed Empyrean.

Who by virtue of their designs, threatened Srina Talon Srina Talon .

That thought alone emboldened Gerwald. It drove at the core of his nature. There were few left from the Confederacy of Independent Systems which still made their presence felt in the galaxy, and none more visible than the wintry queen. The wolf had faded in and out of shadow as it suited him, but with Naedira alive and by his side, he wanted more. Srina had long been his path to more, and that was not going to change. Was he using her? No more than she was using him. Perhaps it was a mutual understanding, but it worked.

The question which Gerwald was about to pose was whether or not he and Empyrean could find a similar arrangement. Oh he was already autonomous, but Gerwald sought to extend it beyond the sigil in his hand. The Dead God was no longer in need of a weapon, but an ally. Gerwald could be that, and more, if Empyrean could see it.

“My Lord,” he said as he came near. “I have returned.”

Last edited:

"Welcome home, Dread Wolf.", Empyrean offered through a hoarse, corpse tonality only achieved by his undead form. It grated against the ears, a signature of a body far past the point it should have ever remained; like a curse, or perhaps irony, the still living man was turned ever more into a terrifying afront to the natural order.​
His metal eyes shifted from a book held carefully in his still existing hand. Fingers splaying pages and cradling the spine, the book was bound in what appeared to be humanoid skin - as though moles and imperfection still littered the stitching. Whatever it was, it was ancient and well kept after; yellowed pages and fraying edges betrayed its antiquity twice over. Empyrean's own movements and actions were not disimilar, aged and slow as though he were just as ancient as the book - but Gerwald knew that was not the case.​
"We've eliminated the last resistance to my rule in the Pale Assassin, and yet still bottom feeders rise from the trench that is our surly underbelly. Don't you think it's time you should be using your teeth more?", he said with an ever so slight growl to his tonality, as though Gerwald should have already killed the numerous upstarts. His gaze fell back on the book and he simply sighed - though breath did not leave his mouth.​
"I hear they speak to Srina Talon Srina Talon more and more - as though she is the secret to upend my rule. I think if nothing else, we should both be rather annoyed they continue to pester her peace."​

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

“Is it not the way of the Sith to clamor over vacant seats of power and prestige?”

Was it disrespect which caused Gerwald to speak, no. The wolf knew the answer already, as did Empyrean. It was the annoyance of what it meant to be Sith and the thing which made consolidating power around one Emperor difficult and tenuous at best. It did not matter who rose to fill the void, Empyrean would never be able to trust him.

“I could kill them all, yes, and there are some I may. A king is in need of pawns to sacrifice my liege, as much as he requires weapons to wield.”

His eyes fell to the book. Gerwald had seen many like them before. This was one was dark in a way that was unique to the wolf however. He often wondered what it was the Dead God was searching for in such manuscripts. What was the thing which alluded him? Gerwald could not imagine the position he was in, dead and yet alive. Srina Talon Srina Talon had gone to great lengths to keep her beloved, the same lengths the wolf would go to keep his mate close.

The mention of her name made the wolf stand alert. Gerwald nodded in agreement. He shared the annoyance, but also understood the wintry queen’s purpose. It was another situation which the wolf found to be riddled with tension. They felt her to be the quickest route to ending Empyrean’s reign. What they had not counted on was the woman was not a liability to be exploited. If she wished to feign that their attention was duly placed, Empyrean needed to allow it.

“That is because they do not understand the nature of your bond… nor mine to her.”

It was a simple addendum, but one which reminded the emperor of their agreement. By serving him, he served Srina. She may not have been the secret to upending Empyrean’s rule, but she was the reason he had a weapon in the lupine.

“Forgive me if I am speaking out of place, my lord, however, one of them will fill the void left behind by the Pale woman if you do not fill it first. Why not divert their attention away from your throne by giving them something more to hate.”

A grin pulled at his lips.

“Fill her seat. Carnifex hates you, but his loyalty has been secured through his admiration for your wife. You once ruled with a triumvirate. Why not place a third who will defer to you as well, and yet someone strong enough to deal with petty upstarts seeking to make a name for themselves by attacking who will certainly be perceived as the weakest of the three?”

Gerwald had no intention of guiding Empyrean further toward an answer than that. If he wanted to avoid the pretentious Lords of recent times from gaining a foothold, he had to deny them the platform and position to achieve. These were not the kind who would sell their loyalty for a pretty chair.

However, there were other ways.

The wolf was not above them, even if he did not see them as what was needed for this situation.

"I would prefer the Sith fell in line, and simply accepted my rule without such candid rebellion.", he said with a false sigh once more.​
"And who, pray tell, is the rumored Third Triumvirate you would propose? To simply become one overnight would raise too many questions - I can't grant that sort of power to anyone who would be willingly loyal to me."​

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

“And simply because you will it,” Gerwald added with a tone near disbelief.

How was it that the wolf seemed to be understanding the Sith better than their emperor? Gerwald would be cautious to ever utter such a thing aloud. His years had taught him when to hold his tongue. The pup would have said what he was thinking, but the wolf knew better. Empyrean was either ignorant, which did not bode well for the sith, comfortable with the wolf’s presence, or testing him.

At any rate, the Dead God was fishing.

Gerwald knew he had suggested something off guard perhaps, but he also knew that Empyrean could not have been so aloof to realize the flaw in his own thinking.

“Yet, Darth Metus did it all the time. I know there is no love lost between you and he, but it is possible to elevate others without destroying what you want to build. The alternative is much worse. You will end up with someone seizing the vacancy thinking they are that much closer to ending your rule.”

The wolf stepped closer. The Dead God had to know Gerwald was suggesting himself, which would not be wholly as overnight as the Sith Lord made it seem. None of the others in the order could boast his accomplishments. While other took control of planets and called themselves nobles and kings, Gerwald led the Knights Obsidian when it was the largest force order in the galaxy.

Empyrean knew that. Was he simply loathe to lose his pet?

“I am suggesting you fill that void with me. Though I am certain you already knew this.

He let his words hang in the air.

“The galaxy still remembers my name, and knows it better than any of these other pretenders. It would not be overnight, nor unexpected. You know I have never been one to ask or demand any title or position, and I am not now. I am simply suggesting the vacancy must be addressed, and those who would use it to support your vision rather than oppose it are limited.”

Empyrean waved his hand off at the mention of Metus and what he had done. Sure, Empyrean recalled when Carnifex was voted in as the next Dark Lord - and he recalled Metus there as well. He had been a young and wild man, yet without a name or title to define him; that would come much later, under much worse circumstances. The Dead God closed his book and set it aside for the first time in the conversation, looking to Gerwald with a lazy expression.​
"And how would I simply 'make it so'? The Triumviir weren't positions handed out, they were forced upon me by influence and strength of armament. I out maneuvered Carnifex to the other side of the Galaxy, and seeded the death of Ophidia, for another Triumviir to come about would be to allow a sickness to grow under my watch once more.", he said flatly.​
"In time, it will likely happen, but to make someone else a Triumviir out of simple intent? I would have to split my resources, and for what, so someone else could now pretend to use my own Empire against me? Hardly. If you want to be considered such a being - then you must garner that power yourself. Otherwise, you do better serving me as you do."​
"And Gerwald? If you don't intend to ask something of me, don't bring Metus up as a comparison."​

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

"Has your influence not grown any?"

Of course it had. Darth Empyrean was either trying to pull something from Gerwald, or he was too short sighted as to the power he actually held. There was a delicate dance between crossing the line and pushing for progress. Gerwald had not found himself in the position to push too often, not in the same way he could with Srina Talon Srina Talon . Gerwald had her ear, where Empyrean still held him at a distance.

The Emperor was right about one thing, Gerwald would have to regain the power and resources he once had at his disposal.

"No, perhaps that was ill advised. I simply do not understand your hesitance. By allowing Carnifex control of the Holy Worlds, as they are called by some, you prop him up. You have created this illusion that the Triumviir is still your preference by doing so."

Gerwald shook his head.

"At least answer one question for me. With Ophidia dead will you not have to expend and split your own resources regardless in order to bring her territory to heel? If you do not, you hasten the day that someone you do not control will absorb the power base into their own."

He stepped closer to the throne.

"I appreciate the autonomy, but without knowing what you are planning I cannot be precise."

"My influence has grown. Mine, Gerwald. If I give away my gains, to be some superfluous target to be smacked at, do you truly think I gain anything from that?", he said dismissively once more.​
"If they are still striking my assets, then they're still striking me. Pretend face or not, it does nothing but divide my control.", he almost scowled at that.​
"My intention is simple, Dread Wolf, I'm going to drag the remnants of the Tsis'kaar kicking and screaming back under my control and execute those who haven't already tied themselves to other powers. Ophidia's spy network is beyond mine capacity to consume - they've already aligned themselves with that upstart Darth Malum of House Marr Darth Malum of House Marr or the masked annoyance Darth Strosius Darth Strosius . "​
"Her worlds, her judicial positions, will be forced into their hands because they are incapable. Perhaps with any luck they'll strike out at eachother and break down what's left of their inheritance without my involvement. If your intention is to grow in power, grow in influence, then you need to beat them to consolidating their worlds and control; not petition me for an allowance."​
"Does that offer you a clear enough avenue, Gerwald?"​

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

An allowance, yes Gerwald could see why Empyrean thought it was that way. However, on pure technicality, Gerwald had yet to ask for anything other than to suggest the emperor use him to fill a void before others could wrestle it from the empire’s grasp. There were moments where the wolf had often thought Empyrean to be fragile and insecure. He would never speak such things out loud, but this was one of those moments. Even if it was a brief and fleeting thought that passed the movement it arrived.

He wanted to pull the remnants of the Tsis’Kaar back into the fold, and yet they still rallied around Malum and Alisteri. They did not want to come under his rule, and the question was why. Had Ophidia poisoned them against the Empyrean, or were they simply that loyal to an order that was for intents and purposes abolished.

The emperor was correct however. If Gerwald wanted the influence to maintain the position he was petitioning for, he would have to demonstrate his ability to take it.

Was it clear?

He nodded.

“Which world is most important to you now?”

He wanted to understand how Empyrean viewed the territory and what remained of it.

“There are many displaced Knights Obsidian among the order that will follow if I call. What confederate vessels I can muster can comprise a small fleet. Then there is the matter of the landing castles which you made. However, they are useless to me without a ship large enough to launch them. I could return them to you.”

Gerwald smiled.

“If I were to ask for an allowance it would be small compared to what I can muster on my own.”

Empyrean simply watched the man for a few moment, then glanced towards a far holoprojector. With a flick of his finger, it ignited and display the galaxy as a whole - of every faction in the known Universe alongside everything else he could muster. It was a startling amount of information, including where the remnant Confederacy had run off to in their own nebula - notes on who the most active people in that region were.​
It zoomed in after a moment to the core worlds of the Imperium, displaying a variety of worlds with various symbols marking their loyalties. He motioned to a few;​
"Orax, Subterrel, Polis Massa, Kal'Shebbol, and Alvaria are the primary worlds the Pale Assassin had taken. They are almost exclusively mining worlds, likely her attempt at creating a monopoly on valuable resources within the Empire. Besides a few, she had forced the prices of Ores and Ingots to skyrocket - making herself and the Tsis'kaar rich, while we bled money to sustain the Eternal's military structure. Now that she is gone, the prices are dropping; but I expect her heirs to rectify that if they have any sense."​
"We need to regain control of the Mining industries - I would start there. Not only would it fund your own rise and assets, it would allow us to subvert their control on the industry itself. Qi-Ko, Torrential, Demonsgate, Tosste is where I would start. Besberra may help, but I've given it a treaty port with the Hutts to help guide our underworld in a controlled manner; I would avoid any overt actions there, but they may help if you're willing to spread their influence further."​
He turned back to the Wolf.​
"Do you have a preference, or something else you need to ask of me?"​

VarDiv.png

Ger.png

"A ship."

It was a short and curt reply to the question posed by the emperor. Gerwald did not have need to exasperate the Dead God any further by pretending he needed the Sith to prioritize the holdings of the Tsis'Kaar any further. It was clear that the resources they boasted needed to fold into the Sith Order before another like Malum or Alisteri could sway the worlds away from unification.

This had been what the Sith had fought for, what the Eternalists had fought for. Unification was in their grasp, and under the banner of the Corpse King. It should not have mattered who sat on the throne, save for the fact others held too much history among the Order which could be used against them. Carnifex had been the largest hurdle, and his deference paved the way to expose Ophidia's treachery.

"The campaign will be a longer one, keeping me from Jutrand and my usual hunting grounds. I must shift while I am away, and a ship containing a decent section of nature would be ideal."

Perhaps the wolf would commission something later, but he also knew that Empyrean had overseen many projects involving space travel technology. One of the shipyards he was connected to may have such a vessel. Gerwald could make do if required, but today he wanted to see the limits Empyrean would give him. The wolf was free, autonomous in how he worked, but only at the word of the Emperor.

"Done.", he offered back swiftly.​
He turned to grab his book and flip it back open with the Force, his metal eyes shifting in their socket - and despite no pupil, Gerwald could see that his attention had shifted back to reading in the way they shifted from side to side. In spite of his new found focus, he continued;​
"Ships are cheap - I can have one made to your specifications within the month."​
He waited then, continuing to read as he waited for anything else to be requested of him.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom