Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Dancing with someone else

Be careful what you wish for.
“Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” - Helen Keller

Glad to be getting back into this.

Another workout in an empty training room. Caltin had no fellow Masters around, no Knights, no Padawans, no droids, frell even the beverage cart was small. No, there was just him and some weights, a few weapons on the wall and open air. So he turned on what looked to be some odd looking black cylinder that lit up strangely in rhythmic reds, blues, and greens, pressed a few buttons on a datapad and walked to the center of the room after putting it down.

After it became clear that this cylinder was some sort of portable speaker and it was synched to the datapad (which was playing music), he began to move. It started slow, deeper breaths, neck twitches, head bobs, shoulder shimmies; it almost began to look like he was going to do some kind of dance. Frell, maybe he was. You might in fact say that he indeed was from the looks of it. No, there was no “ballet”, or anything of the like, he was not getting ready to sprawl on a chair, pull on a chord and let a load of Elba water fall on him either. No, what he was doing was something unique.

His lightsaber (“Conservator” for anyone keeping score) was active. For every open air kick and punch he threw, it led into the next move which could include the weapon. It was difficult and contrived to explain without seeing it, but clearly he knew what he was doing. Valery Noble was “The Sword of the Jedi” and deserved the title, and if you asked him, Caltin would never truly try and take anything away from her in that regard. However it was clear that he was more than capable at what he does.

He was proficient in three forms of Martial Arts, but was by no means agile and it would be silly to assume that he was capable of performing the kicks in the manner that some of the more well known practitioners would. Seriously, the dude is six and a half feet tall and almost four hundred pounds of muscle. He’s a friggin’ walking Boulder.

I hate when you call me that.

You hate when I call you anything. The thing is, he’s a brawler, but you can see the training in his moves and his style. It was nothing specific but a mesh of different things he has learned. There was a reason he looked like he did.

Come on in. I know you're out there.

Unlike last time, this time he had seen someone.,

TAG: Jand Talo Jand Talo

Last edited:
ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

The training area of the Jedi Temple was a place Jand usually walked often.

It wasn't so often that Jand heard music in the training area.

The pale Padawan had followed the sound, somewhat perplexed, as he found the rhythm and beat to be an irritation personally, though was curious as to who might be using it for... whatever they were using it for. When it came to Jand's combat meditation he much preferred silence, or as close as he could manage in a crowded temple, and the idea of using loud music to assist in any training seemed outlandish.

Though, to be fair, Jand found basically everything outside of Nagai society to be outlandish.

It wasn't long before the Padawan found the source. And to say he was surprised was an understatement. There had been a vision in Jand's mind, one of a young Padawan perhaps, similar to Iris or her friends, that might have been dancing alongside the music for some general exercise. There had been no way for Jand to imagine the sight that awaited him:

Jedi Master Caltin Vanagor.

Training.

While moving to music.

For several moments, Jand simply stood there, his gray eyes on the large humanoid. The sentient was very tall, very muscular, and moved with an elegance one might expect from someone of his size... needless to say, the Jedi Master was probably more suited toward power over dexterity, yet Jand had to admit that Caltin moved well despite that. Still, compared to a Nagai - even those younger than Jand - the large humanoid might as well have been a bantha attempting ballet...

That was when the Jedi Master spoke.

"Hello, Jedi Master Vanagor," Jand said without hesitation, as he stepped into clearer view at the doorway. He was dressed in his usual Jedi robes, complete with lightsaber and additionals on his belt. "I did not mean to interrupt. Your music echoed through the halls and I followed the source to find you... training."

It was still a curious method, but Jand understood he looked at a Jedi Master, so was open to trying to gain more understanding...

"Do you use the music for martial strike beats? I have noticed your movements are cromulent, yet clearly hindered by your evident focus on physical strength and your physical stature. Do you seek to to improve your dexterity with these types of training sessions?"

“If the truth brings chaos, then let there be chaos.” - Khayri R.R. Woulfe

It was the Nagai… Tafo or Tano or something like that. Caltin was still learning the names, but he seemed to be interested in what was going on, or at least politely curious. Either way, the big man could humor him and listen to what he had to ask. The thing is, he was having a hard time understanding what it is the kid was actually asking…

… huh?

Oh, okay, he was pointing out how Caltin preferred to fight. Okay. A quick reverser roundhouse kick, followed by a tornado kick should show just how flexible he could be. If.that.last.kick.did.not.pull.his.GROIN. Either way, he showed what he could do.

I’m simply focusing on what I can do and not what I can’t. You should not judge what is inside simply by looking at what is on the surface.

resonant-staff-hilt-lit-6.png

"Vanguard" (Secondary - Long Handle)
0cf9376e75158d86a4aaeac9fb408128.jpg

"CONSERVATOR" (Primary - Long Handle)
HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

Last edited:
ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand watched the display of martial prowess.

The footwork and kicks were impressive, they displayed obvious physical control and power, though that was expected from someone built like the Jedi Master. There was no denying Caltin Vanagor's combat ability, his reputation and victories were known. Still, the response from the larger sentient caused Jand to incline his head and consider the meaning behind the words.

"I understand," Jand said with a nod. "You are continuing to develop what you know. And the music... does it have a purpose?"

From his observation, though brief, Jand had thought the Jedi Master's strikes had been in some kind of music rhythm, but perhaps he was wrong.

"I have heard about your skill in lightsaber combat, with several Padawans mentioning impressive defeats over opponents," Jand said after a few moments of silence, as he raised his eyebrows. "Might I ask, what forms have you mastered or found most beneficial?"

Jand added, as a clarification:

"I am learning Ataru presently, but I seek to expand my form knowledge."

He just told the kid not to “judge a book by its cover” so he could not do that himself, and stopped short of assuming that Talo was looking for a Master. Of course the outright ask of what forms he was most capable in was a tell. It was okay, perhaps it was time to consider taking another Padawan under his wing again. Right now though it was time to see what Talo really needed. So…

I’ve been around long enough to learn every form and sub-form. As for the music? That is a good and easy way to clear your mind and just practice.

Taking another swig of water and disengaging his lightsaber, Vanagor moved off the practice floor, grabbed a training saber and tossed it to the Nagai Padawan.

To find the most beneficial form, you have to consider your outlook on life, your personal strengths and approach to things. It is not a matter of “I think Makashi is cool, I’ll go with that.” If you are not physically in line with the form, you will not be as effective as you could be with another form. I personally prefer Soresu but am naturally aggressive, it does not work for me as well as it could. Now, show me what you know. Pretend that you are teaching me.

HK-88 Robes, Battle Armor,Toraynor-Henkan(mind crystal added) Advanced Jedi Utility Belt
Starship: Spectre, (NC-1000 X-wing (Jedi Variant) in the hangar, Dilorian, and Bike both in the cargo bay, the late Karki Eusith's Armor, Shield, Temple Guard Lightsaber mounted on the wall)
Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

"My combat meditation usually involves silence," Jand said in response to the music. "But learning of methods other sentients use can be interesting."

The blaring sound wasn't to Jand's preference, but he also understood the galaxy didn't bend to his wants, so he simply made do. When the larger humanoid walked away to hydrate, the Padawan remained where he was but kept an eye on the Jedi Master, before seeing the thrown training lightsaber thrown by the former to the latter.

Jand caught it from the air.

Jedi Master Vanagor continued to speak, explaining some outlooks on form benefit, how they connected and aligned with the individual, and expressed a quip about Makashi. It aimed at the form, of course, so much as the dismissal of other factors one should consider, before making a decision. The mention of Soresu was a surprise, as the more defensive orientated form didn't seem to fit with Caltin Vanagor at all, to which the large sentient confirmed as much. Then, however, the Jedi Master turned things around on Jand...

"I do not understand," Jand said simply. "I am a Padawan. I know very little. I do not see the benefit in my pretending to teach you, as your knowledge is greater than my own."

The Nagai glanced down to the training lightsaber in his hands.

"However--"

Jand looked back to the Jedi Master.

"--if I must, then I shall. Firstly, I am unsure what you intended with the training you performed, as it benefits you very little. My suggestion, based on varying factors - such as your height, weight, evident strength, admittedly aggressive nature - would be for you to form five, specifically Djem So. The reason should be evident, as it requires a higher level of physical strength than the other lightsaber forms, due to its focus on complete domination of opponents requiring physically demanding combat."

The considerably shorter and leaner Padawan motioned toward the Jedi Master, to make his point.

"Not only does form five incorporate Soresu, which you prefer, but also elements of Makashi and allows you to benefit from your physicality to extend beyond either form, which could be considered too passive - or niche - for typical lightsaber combat.

"That would be my guidance as a teacher."

Unsure of what to do, as he wasn't a teacher, Jand stopped speaking and waited...

Not a bad explanation at all. He was not a natural at this by any means (he’s a Padawan, give him a break) but it was clear that the kid was well studied and could think on his feet. Especially when he was put on the spot like this, it was not a scenario he was looking for, but one that Caltin employs all the time. There was a reason for it, and this was a time that the big man would do something that he never does. He would tell the kid why.

The reason why I wanted you to give me a dissertation, to which you did very well by the way, was to prove a point. It is in teaching others that we can learn ourselves. We can either learn different methods or options to our topic, or strengthen what we know. It may not seem like I’m making sense or that you are experiencing this now, but trust me.

That and.. I needed to see how well versed you are. Now show me what you can do.

With a press on his Vambrace, a training droid walked forward.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand had soon learned that just about everything in the Jedi Temple was a test, of some sort.

It didn't bother him, of course. The Padawan enjoyed being challenged, he wanted to be tested, because that was part of his lifestyle. To train, improve and overcome - that was the Nagai way. When it came to combat, it was a scenario that Jand was very comfortable with, as it had been part of his upbringing since he was a toddler. It was expected for his people to duel, it was honorable, it was about personal - and familial and social - improvement, and so Jand had no hesitation.

The Jedi Master stated his expectation.

And the training droid stepped forward, a training lightsaber held in robotic hand.

"I understand," Jand said as he activated the lightsaber with a snap-hiss. "I will do as you request."

The Padawan broke into a sprint, as he crossed the space to the droid quickly, and slid into a low thrust. The droid had been programmed with lightsaber form comprehension, to which it blocked low and caught Jand's blade. Without missing a beat, Jand jumped up and over the droid, and at the apex of the leap, lashed out with a boot to kick the head unit; the impact was enough to stumble the droid, as it tried to turn and defend from the new angle--

"Bzzt!"

--but a whirling blade struck it in the face an instant later, as it did so. The droid was undamaged, of course, but the attack would have killed most opponents, which caused the training program to shutdown and restart for another round.

"Would you like to see more, Jedi Master Vanagor?"

Jand was crouched on the opposite side of the droid, where he had landed, after the thrown attack. The pale Padawan reached out with a hand, to use the Force to return the thrown lightsaber to his palm, before he stood upright and glanced toward the large humanoid to await instruction.

The Padawan's use of Ataru was evident.

The kid had some skills, not surprising considering his upbringing and nature. He was a little misguided (at least in Caltin’s eye) about what he was learning, or was to learn. So maybe this was the Force telling Vanagor something that he did not want to hear. Pulling a training saber of his own to his hand and pressing a button on his vambrace, the big man watched the training droid “level up” to his particular skill set. These models after all were programmed with his abilities in mind.

Not bad, kid. You get the idea of Ataru so far.

Leaping into the air and coming down with a “Hawk-Bat Slash” he jumped again.

The form is purely offensive based. It was designed with the intention of overwhelming an opponent from as many angles as possible.

Coming back down with an “Airborne Flurry” that led immediately into a “Tornado Spinning Attack” and combination strike, the big band bounded off of the walls again. He was indeed effective in what he was doing, but anyone who noticed would see that this Form was “not for him.” His jumps and attacks were not “fluid” but were “thought out”. He was good at what he does, and proved that but uncomfortable.

The problem is that Ataru leaves you open too easily to deceive and counter attacks. This form was created because Soresu is “Too Defensive,” but the overkill is the lack of defense. Personally, that is what Djem So and Shien are for.

Sanctuary Island

ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand nodded, as the Jedi Master complimented him.

"Thank you."

And then watched as the larger humanoid began to engage in his own display of attacks. The training droid didn't stand much of a chance, despite the skill level increase, and the Padawan listened as Master Vanagor explained some of the reasoning behind the form used. Most of what was said Jand knew, at least theoretically given his recent start on Jedi related lessons, but the combative element was well known. Still, there also seemed to be degree of disconnect for the larger Jedi, with each movement seeming less-than-fluid, as though he was going against his natural flow of physicality.

"I can see that being the case with limitations on Ataru, yes," Jand said as he watched Master Vanagor end his display. "I have little reason to doubt your awareness of the form's strengths, with its defining features being the focus on all-out offense and on speed and agility... and as a Nagai, my species is far better suited to using advantages of our natural dexterity and reflexes."

As it was, Jand was confident that he was faster - either reflexively or physically - than most in the Jedi Temple, without Force assistance. He also knew that when it came to physical strength, he was on the lower end of the performance spectrum, as it was simply not one of his attributes. There was a reason that Nagai had developed their culture to focus on speed and precision through honor duels, and not outright displays of strength.

"That is the main reason Ataru was suggested as a further form to learn, Master Vanagor. To play into my strengths."

Still, Jand was curious to know what the other might think, regarding that...

No negative reflection on the form. It’s just not for me.

Grasping a training saber in his hand and slowly dropping into a low Ironhorse stance; his free hand outward and his saberhand behind and over his head, blade extended out, the big man just waved “come on.”

Time to show me what you can do. We go until I score ten hits or you score five.

The spar would go simply like this. Caltin was going to let him win, but in a manner to which it would look like the kid earned it and he would have to. This spar was not simply just to see how he handled himself in one, but each defense was not a “reflect” like in Soresu but a “redirect” like in Djem So. His own attacks were a strike, an offensive flip, a three strike “flurry” or “Chopping the tree” or a four strike combo to “redirect” Talo’s attacks. Each move was done slowly and methodically. All so that the Padawan could pick up on these techniques without realizing that he was being taught without being told he was.

Occasionally he would throw in a slash from Makashi and a Soresu defense but everything was to get the Padawan to react.

Sanctuary Island

Last edited:
ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Jand nodded.

With a slow exhale, the Padawan brought his lightsaber up into a defensive position, the hilt at his navel and the blade pointed toward his opponent. He began to approach, not recklessly but with some speed, and once within striking range, Jand thrust the lightsaber forward - he aimed for center mass, nothing spectacular, he wanted the attack to either connect or be parried.

Either option was viable.

And should the Jedi Master knock the thrust aside, but Jand prepared, and launched forward in a low crouch as he twisted the blade out from contact and whipped it in a tight curve into a slash toward Master Vanagor's legs. Not wanting to be caught low, especially under the other sentient's blade, Jand brought his lightsaber up to defend over his head as he sidestepped in his low crouch to the right and came back to a full stand.

One thing Jand had learned from his combat training as a Nagai was the finer control of a duelist.

Some of his movements might have been noted as unconventional Makashi.

But, the most prominent factor was the Padawan's footing and balance, which he maintained even with drastic changes in poses...

Alright, I've seen enough.

Shutting down his training device and putting it onto the stand, Caltin grabbed a bottled Blue Milk from the cooler and tossed a bottled water to Jand.

Time to tell you some truth. You are naturally aggressive, and you are not ready to accept the character of a Jedi. You might not make it as a Padawan of other Jedi, but you will make it as mine. What do you say, would you wish to learn what I have to offer?

Maybe it was a bit of a slap in the face to the kid, but it wasn't meant to be. Maybe it was arrogant on Caltin's part to think that the Nagai would want to learn from him, but he had something to offer and this kid was someone to whom he thinks would benefit from it. Sure, he has another Padawan already in Dagos, but Jand much the same. Boundless potential and a bright future.

Sanctuary Island

Last edited:
ɴᴀɢᴀɪ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ

jand_spacer.png

Whatever Jand might have expected from the request for a combat display... the result wasn't it.

The demonstration of Jand's lightsaber abilities was short, but perhaps long enough for the Jedi Master to make some decisions, as the large humanoid stepped aside and passed a drink to the Padawan. Despite the momentary confusion, Jand caught the bottle before he deactivated the training lightsaber.

The Master Vanagor explained.

The words were blunt, direct and to the point, and others might have perceived them as harsh.

Jand didn't.

"I understand," Jand said simply, as he nodded. He, too, had moved toward the training rack to replace the training lightsaber he held. "I am aware that my upbringing and beliefs are more aggressive than the Jedi Order might want. I also understand it is who I am. If you feel confident in your position as my mentor, I agree that I believe there is much you can teach me."

However, Jand held up a finger, as he added.

"Though I have one request of you, which is important to my species: we fear nothing, except the loss of our freedom." Jand began, before he elaborated for clarity. "Nagai history is filled with attempts by Tof - and other species - trying to conquer us, to subjugate us... so if I am to be your Padawan, I request that you understand that I will listen to and heed your teachings, I will do what you ask out of want to learn, and respect the relationship between student and pupil.

"But, do not seek to unjustly restrain or instil dominion over me.

"I am Nagai. I am free, and I will always be free."

There had already been contention for Jand, when it came to the titles of the Jedi Order.

Calling others master had been difficult; it had taken time and a discussion with Master Noble to more accurately unpack that complication.

"If that is acceptable, I would accept being your Padawan."

Setting terms, are we?
Any other Padawan doing this would have made Caltin angrily change his mind and walk away, but this is what a Nagai does. It is not meant to be disrespectful, but they naturally put their cards on the table and you must be the one to play off of them, That is why Caltin just smirked at Talo doing this. Not out of any type or level of disrespect, but because the kid really did not know who he was dealing with. Which is fine, they had nothing but time.

Padawan, I am big on the methods of the Order of my time. Always have been and always will be, but I am the very last person who will ever restrict you needlessly. I ask that you call me "Master" or "Master Vanagor" in public because that is the protocol. If you feel comfortable in scenarios such as this where it is just you and I, then "Caltin" is fine. When you are out in public, I ask that you conduct yourself in a manner that represents me, and the Order well. I ask this because you are now a representative of me, just as I am a representative of you. I ask that you offer your foe a chance to leave if in a combat situation until they leave you no choice.

He shrugged.

Other than that? You are free to do and act as you wish. I've been doing this a long time, my young friend, do not worry. Now...

Slashing his training weapon one more time.

Let's learn some Ataru...

Sanctuary Island

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom