Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Credit For Your Thoughts?

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Farstine was normally not a world that Alisteri found himself near. The Mid Rim was far too close to the Core for his liking, even being on the edge of it was enough to remind him just how civilized and populated the Mid Rim was compared to its outer counterpart. The crowded streets, the traffic in the system itself due to the trade routes, and the actual presence of order and authority were all so strange. Jutrand was the most developed world that he was used to dealing with and he made an effort to avoid it as much as possible.

Were it not for his business on the world, he'd be leaving Farstine just as quick as he had arrived. With a cloak covering his armored form he strode through the streets towards the market and trade focused area of the spaceport that he found himself in, for once not the only one wearing a mask of some kind. He glanced at the travelers, some families or friends and others crewmates, that were scattered around the busy area of the spaceport.

Many of them were oddly enough just sitting around, some idly chatting and others just staring off into space. It took a few moments for him to realize that they were in a somewhat ordered queue, all waiting before the very trader kiosk that he was headed to. A guard, one belonging to the spaceport itself, perked up as he approached and held up their hand. "Sorry sir, you'll have to wait in line like everyone else." Alisteri paused and fished a datapad from his pocket, displaying the appointment that he had arranged with the trader. "I'm expected, there is a package waiting for me here." And one that had costed him quite the credits too.

The guard looked at the datapad and shook their head with a sigh. "Sorry sir, this kiosk has been temporarily seized to be used as a distribution center for breath masks and oxygen. It won't be in regular service until the usual supplier has resumed their distribution contract with the spaceport." Alisteri clicked his tongue and had half a mind to try and just sneak into whatever storage room they were using to retrieve the package himself, but decided against it. "Well, what's the issue with the usual supplier?"

----

As with many things, it had come down to an issue of credits and contracts. Evidently the usual supplier of oxygen and the equipment to utilize it, some trading company based out of Ryndellia, had found out that the spaceport had been loaning some of their equipment and collecting the interest from it without sharing said profits with the company. So of course the company's warehouse on Farstine had stopped shipping out their supplies until the whole contract matter was settled, which would take who knew how long now that the courts and lawyers had gotten involved on both sides of the dispute.

Alisteri didn't intend to wait that long.

The warehouse was just a short walk from the spaceport itself, provided one could weave between the crowds and traffic alike in a timely manner anyway. The masked man looked up at the building and idly spotted a few possible entrances as he drummed his fingers against the hidden lightsaber tucked into his belt. The guard had been very clear and insistent that no one was getting into that kiosk as long as it was still serving breath masks and oxygen, which meant that it would be off limits until the supplies from the warehouse had been delivered to the spaceport.

Which meant that he was going to have to "borrow" the supplies from the warehouse just to bypass all the corporate red tape that was no doubt being wrapped up and expanded upon in the courts of Farstine. By any means necessary. He clicked his tongue and finally spotted a window on the roof of the warehouse, rolling his shoulders as he began walking towards the building.

Matthew of Valendale Matthew of Valendale

The rooftop access door was locked, and Alisteri may have felt a familiar itch at the back of his neck, a creeping chill of strange familiarity. Another force user was near by. There wasn't much that was visible from his current location, but Alisteri would almost know that there was something there. Something watching him, something waiting for the right moment to strike. The man in black had never actually been seen anything, nor heard anyone, but he knew better than to ignore the feeling.

There was already some one inside the ware house with a few of the local workers. A tall fellow who was watching as they took stock of the present supplies. He was in the middle of encouraging some form of negotiations and servicing them as an arbitrator. But making sure all the supplies were present and still where they needed to be was to be checked before they could agree on a settlement. The argument presented was humanitarian in nature as these supplies were verily needed in a place such as this so stopping the chain would only cause more harm then good. They were cautioned that this would surely entice negative results given enough time to let the problem simmer.

Matthew looked about the warehouse seemingly feeling something was aims. The feeling was faint but undeniable. There was someone else here, or someone had been here recently.

He stepped closer to the center of the room, searching for anything out of place. He saw nothing but crates and boxes, most of them labeled in an alien language. Most of the labels seemed to be stuck on with some sort of paste, and there was a slight discoloration of the surface of each box.

His steps were slow and calm, his eyes scanning the space for any signs of trouble. He stopped at a crate near the center of the room, its label sticking out like a sore thumb. It was clearly labeled as air mask supplies, but it was in the wrong place. It was marked as being part of the shipment from Farstine, but it should have been on a shelf in the supply area, not sitting out in the open like this. Matthew thought it odd that they'd leave it out here like this, and he wondered why. Maybe it's some sort of mistake? There's no way to really know unless you open the crate and see what's inside.
Darth Strosius Darth Strosius

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Having to cut his own entrance into the roof, and rather quietly at that, was nothing new to Alisteri and was merely a minor inconvenience. What did cause him a moment of pause as he ignited his lightsaber and began to carve into the roof though was the familiar feeling of someone else blessed with the Force. They were close, probably either in or near the very building that he had climbed to the top of.

That could potentially complicate matters, they certainly weren't some latent and unskilled user of the Force given what he could sense from a simple probe of the presence, but he had already come this far and he wouldn't back out now. With any luck they wouldn't notice his presence much, especially once he began to suppress it in an attempt to conceal himself further.

Hopefully he would be in and out before they even realized what was happening.

Alisteri pulled up the now separated material from the roof and slipped through it to fall and land atop one of the many shelves that lined the warehouse. He used the Force to pull the roofing material back over the hole before beginning his slow and quiet descent down the shelves and their crates to reach the floor of the warehouse.

He finally landed on the ground without much noise or trouble caused, thus far at least, and glanced around to check for signs of movement. All he needed to do now was find someone with some authority and convince them to deliver the supplies, one way or another. There was probably some sort of office or other administrative area where he could find an overseer or manager. He just had to find it.

His searching paused as he caught a glimpse of movement and subsequently paused behind a few extra crates to hide himself from view. He peered around the top of the crate to spot a man standing over some other, clearly misplaced, supply crate. Alisteri's hand drifted down to his lightsaber on his belt as he watched the scene silently.

Conversely, Matthew used the force to push out and search and feel around for the other more actively. He seemed to have a very palpable force presence that radiated forth from him like a warm glowing light from a candle in the dark. It was an inviting sensation for the other which may have felt strange. It was as if Matthew put his own force signature on blast.

It wasn't until he began to probe the other that Matthew noticed the other presence. His first instinct was to move away, to cover the two workers, but he stopped himself.

"I think we've got everything in here too boys," Matthew called. He was tense, but not worried. The person was still there, and Matthew was confident he knew where he was.

"You sure?" a second voice asked. "Looks like the rest of the stuff is all in the wrong place."

Matthew moved to stand next to the first worker, who looked up at him with a confused expression. "Well, it looks like you're right about that. But I don't see anything wrong with that. You said yourself, this isn't the main storage room. We just need to get the supplies sorted."

The second worker nodded and turned to leave. "Yeah, I'll go call the boss. Don't want to waste your time, sir."

Matthew frowned. "Wait! What's your name?"

The worker stopped and looked back, clearly surprised by the question. "Oh... uh... Arlen, sir."

"Arlen," Matthew repeated, thinking. "What's the last thing you did before you started looking for supplies? Did you check the computer logs to make sure they were all loaded correctly?"

Arlen blinked and shook his head. "No, why would I do that?"

Matthew sighed lightly. " I can see why the supplies are somewhat scattered. Tell your boss we're pretty sure it's all here. " He reached out and grabbed Arlen's arm. The other man's eyes widened and he tried to pull away.

"Hey!" Arlen cried out, struggling to free himself. "Let me go!"

Matthew ignored him and pulled the man closer, gently but firmly so. "Listen, Arlen," he said quietly. "You've been working here for a long time, haven't you?"

Arlen nodded slowly.

"How many years?" Matthew asked.

"Uh... seven or eight, I guess," Arlen replied.

"Do you know where the log files are kept?" Matthew pressed.

Arlen looked down. "They're in the main office."

Matthew smiled and released him. "Good boy. Go get them. Take a couple of minutes and take your coworker to help you. Then come back and tell me what you found."
Arlen gave him a grateful nod and hurried off.

Matthew watched him go and then turned to the other worker. "Okay, you're next."

The worker didn't move. "What?" he asked.

"You heard me," Matthew stated. "Go get the computer logs with your co-worker and bring them back to me. Now."

The worker looked from Matthew to the exit. "I don't have to do that, you know."

Matthew's face was blank. "Do what?"

The worker hesitated. "Go get the computer logs with my co-worker."

"Why?" Matthew demanded. "Don't you trust me?"

The worker looked him up and down. "No, I don't think so," he said with a small smile. "But, you've got a job to do, and I've got mine."

Matthew opened his mouth to speak again, but the worker held up his hand. "I know, I know. This is my job too, and if you're trying to do it right, you'll want to see the same information I do. I'll be back soon."

He left, closing the door behind him.

Matthew leaned back against the counter and stared at the closed door for several moments. Finally, he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The workers knew exactly what he wanted and they'd done it. He felt confident that there wasn't anything else missing. He stood up straight and looked bout the empty room. "I think we're alone now; Perhaps you can step into the light little friend?" Matthew called projecting his voice causing a mild echo throughout the warehouse.

Last edited:
Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
His fingers wrapped around the hilt of his lightsaber and quietly unclipped it from his belt as he felt the other Force User reach out and expand his presence in the Force. Alisteri's eyes narrowed at the warm and inviting presence, knowing a Jedi when he felt one. And just like that a complicated situation had grown even more difficult and layered. A perfect example of why he despised having to venture into the Mid Rim aside from just the people, too close to the Alliance and their Jedi underlings.

The Jedi didn't engage just yet though, not with him at least, and instead turned his attention to some of the warehouse's workers. He kept his weapon in his hand but chose not to activate it just yet, not seeing much of a reason for now. HIs finger was hovering over the switch though and was ready to ignite the blade at a moment's notice.

He watched the interaction and raised an eyebrow at the sudden and rather odd questions and orders that the Jedi gave to the workers who seemed just as caught off-guard as he was. With them being sent off to the office he had half a mind to follow after them just to save himself the time searching for it himself but he doubted that he would get very far with a Jedi roaming around. First he'd need to take care of the meddler, then he could get the supplies moving.

Soon enough the both of them were alone and the Jedi seemed to be taking a moment to rest on his laurels now that the two workers had been sent off on their little errands. Before Alisteri could find a good angle to leap out of cover and attack the Jedi from however, the Jedi spoke and addressed him. He sighed and muttered a curse under his breath as he reluctantly stood and ignited the red blade of his weapon.

"And here I thought that I'd have to be the one pushing around these poor workers today." The masked man strode out of his hiding spot and kept his gaze fixed on the Jedi, keeping a good distance between them as he moved forward. "But it seems as if you've done a fine job of that yourself. I do wonder though, what business of the Jedi have drawn one of you here hm? Or do you simply enjoy sticking your noses where they don't belong?"

Matthew stood there a full foot taller than his opposition. He was built well and looked statuesque. He was without a doubt an impressive specimen for his race. It was clear based on how his tailored robes fit him that this man was in peak physical condition and outweighed Alesteri. Matthew was wearing white robes and gloves both of which were immaculately clean.

He did not however move to action and draw a blade. Instead, he calmly looked Alisteri over from head to toe, and back again letting that piercing blue gaze settle on his mask.

"I know not your intentions, little one; However if you desire to know my own I will impart you with that knowledge. I am here to pick up medical supplies for a small village. It is a task that I have undertaken many times before and so I shall not allow myself to be delayed by squabbling of any sort. I approached the officials here and offered my assistance as an arbitrator and mediator to assist them with finding a solution. There is an amiable resolution in sight however there was a qualm about some of the supplies perhaps being missing, or misplaced. They need the missing equipment found before they will agree to the proposed resolution and both sides of this conflict with the air are stonewalled and are looking at one another. I can not allow this conflict to continue for several reasons. The supplies I need to pick up are of vital importance and the air supply they distribute services many here. Both are basic needs that need to be met and I'm certain it is causing all sorts of problems for other travelers in the area. Now, if you are finished with your petty threats and want to tell me why you're here I will gladly hear you out."

The Jedi's mask didn't so much as twitch as he spoke. His words were calm and collected and he spoke as if he wasn't even speaking to a threat. He remained rather still as he spoke calmly remaining himself relatively nonthreatening. His force presence remained practically radiating off him. His being appeared as if he were ethereal in some way with that long snowy white hair and white eyelashes, his skin seemed to almost glow. He spoke with an even tone and smooth practiced ease, and the 'little one' comment didn't seem to hold any kind of malice or disrespect but rather, oddly a more endearing notion in the truth of someone that was perhaps older speaking to a younger person.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri scoffed at the man's words, still idly moving as he listened and clicked his tongue. Finally he stopped and turned to face the Jedi fully, the blade of his lightsaber nearly touching the ground as he rolled his shoulders. "Oh spare me the savior talk, I know how you Jedi are." The word was hissed like an insult or curse. There was no mistaking the malice in his tone.

"I'm here to get the supplies to the spaceport. From what I've heard some corporate meddling has resulted in a distinct lack of oxygen and equipment for the travelers and denizens here, so I'm here to convince the humble workers and their overseer here to provide the supplies. Regardless of what issues or reservations they may have in doing so." He had no patience for the bickering of such matters, not when there was action to be done and his own personal stake to claim.

A Jedi being involved had made his thin patience run out all the quicker as well. "Now you can drop the whole noble Jedi act and fess up on why you're actually here. That whole good guy facade only works on the naïve that still think of your order positively. I'm guessing you have need of some of these supplies for yourself or more of your little Jedi friends hm?"

In truth he'd rather not bother having to face off against the Jedi, this was supposed to be a quick and simple pickup. Drawing it out into something more strenuous and grand was just going to be tiring. "Luckily for you, unlike your Jedi friends and leaders, I am willing to compromise and negotiate. You take whatever you need, I take whatever the spaceport needs, and no one needs to get hurt here. How does that sound?"

wb1.png

TAGS:

mattboarder.png

Matthew considered the words that were spoken but his mind seemed to settle on a particular idea one that he soon gave voice to. He did not try to correct the man on his assumption or his thoughts of the all representing the one.

"Someone must have hurt you. " He trailed lightly though his tone spoke of compassion for such a sentiment as if the man was to be pitied.
"Then you and I have an aligned goal. " Matthew stated.

"It would be better to resolve the problem without violence or use of force. Such actions would have a rippling effect of repercussion that gives way to lawlessness. " Matthew stated.

" Laws do have a purpose- Primarily, safety. If the laws are designed from a point of earnest benevolence and altruism they should establish safety. A parent does not simply forbid a child from reaching into a fire for the sole purpose of control. It is for their safety. Casting aside civil laws only emboldens those who seek to do harm to others, be it to further their own enlightened self-interest, or otherwise. " He paused and offered a soft smile. " I gratefully, and thankfully accept your offer of assistance. " Matthew practically purred.

"Compromise is a most amiable choice, and you have my admiration for such a choice; which is not an easy task for a great many. I, however, am disinclined to acquiesce to your requested venue of resolution. We must seek out the truth of the matter, and resolve it within the parameters of the local law rather than apply outside force against such parameters. As for deception..." He trailed watching him still standing ever calmly like a statue in place but with an air of relaxed ease.

"I have no use for such now and I often deplore it through the medium of speech. I believe that the gift of language is truly a gift to be treasured as it helps us convey our thoughts, feelings, our emotions, our ideas and dreams to others. Without language, we would have no such grasp of communication. Lies, only perverse such ideals. " Matthew concluded.

"You may call me Matthew; What would you like to be called?"

sunstara.png

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
And just like that he had been insulted twice already. Pitied and then declared to share a similarity with a Jedi? How disgraceful. Alisteri smothered an annoyed hiss in the interest of keeping himself civil for now. He'd still rather not have to engage in battle today, he had far more important things to attend to than one measly Jedi after all. Even with the insults.

"I find that violence, when used properly, is quite the effective bringer of law myself." Fear, specifically the fear of punishment, did have quite the effect on crime and dissidence after all. For a Jedi to disagree with such was odd but not unexpected. They did have quite the habit of lying to themselves from what he knew of them. "Compromise and assistance are not the same thing Jedi." He noted, sounding almost like a scolding parent or corrective teacher than anything else.

The words of the Jedi did little to move the Sith other than make his foot begin to tap impatiently.

"The local law has no sway over me and is evidently failing to resolve this issue in a timely manner. While the courts waste their time arguing and filibustering there is work to be done, even if it is outside of what the local law enforcement would recommend. The outcome is the same, I'm merely advocating to avoid all the unnecessary chatter. Which you seem rather fond of." Not that he didn't mind ample discussion and talking of course, he could get rather wordy during his sermons, but with a Jedi it was different.

With Jedi it was an inconvenient distraction. "Strosius. I won't bother with any honorifics, I know you don't care for them anymore than I do." Better to waste as little breath as possible just in case it did come to blows before it was all said and done. "I don't see why we should wait for a bunch of corporate lawyers to decide to do their job when we can simply intervene and do what must be done. Hesitation is a death sentence."

wb1.png

TAGS:

mattboarder.png

"We are intervening. " Matthew stated.

" The fact of the matter is there are terms already negotiated that are acceptable between the two presently dissatisfied parties. However the facts need to be accounted for, in full, before the resolute terms are agreed upon. There's a problem about some of the rented gear and supplies not having been returned. So if we find out what happened to that; Then we bring an end to this stale mate between the two arguing parties, and get things moving before the litigious folks have even set a date to sit down and argue about it in court." He explained.​

"Hostility is the calling card of a weak intellect. Fear of punishment is a juvenile out look. Children fear punishment, adults accept their short coming and faults with grace and use those experiences to better themselves. You do not feel the local laws have any sway on you, and you disregard them as inconvenience out of your own self interest with out concern nor the care for others. You do not fear repercussion to your actions, because you do not fear punishment." He seemingly mapped out in words a rather specific concept as if the redundancy of it were to draw attention to it's importance in this matter.

"This is because you are presently of mind that no one here has the capability nor the resolve to discipline your poor deportment. You would be wrong; Should you choose to enact poor conduct I will enforce proper and measured comeuppance in accordance to the deed. You have been cautioned and I shall not repeat myself further. There will be no unnecessary violence. We will resolve this matter with haste because it simply can not wait for the litigious intervention to make it's process because of the vital necessity those supplies provide the people here. If we can find and account for the missing supplies we can get things going. By looking at the logs we might glean such information. " Matthew spoke in a manner that was not condescending but firm and authoritative. It was clear he wasn't trying to scare or bully Strosius, it was simply his way of speaking. He was being direct and honest, not hiding behind a facade of respectability.
sunstara.png

Last edited:
Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
"That's all this is about? A big mess over a couple of misplaced pieces of equipment? This is even worse than I thought." The exact details on the dispute weren't something that Alisteri had cared to learn, given that he intended to maneuver around said dispute regardless. The truth of the matter only made the whole ordeal that much more annoying and inconvenient. "I highly doubt this is the first time that they haven't gotten a return on some of their loaned equipment. Surely the spaceport just pays the difference for any lost gear and the shipments continue on without interruption, why is it such an issue when this should be a common problem?" Probably some corporate nonsense.

The masked man tilted his head to the side slightly as the Jedi began his lecture, either out of boredom or some perceived hypocrisy. "Why fear punishment when I know that I am in the right? Justice may be blind but it only falls upon those that have slighted it in some way. Like this petty squabble for instance, the product of injustice that must be balanced out and made fair once more. And if that balance can most easily be achieved by my actions and abilities then it is only right for me to pursue it and correct this situation. Regardless of what methods must be used to do so."

The threat, although really it was more a warning or example than anything else, drew a chuckle from the Sith. A very sarcastic and belittling one at that. "Ah the Jedi that says violence is not the correct course of action threatens violence against me, how typical. I may not be in the mood for a fight today but make no mistake, I have tangled with opponents far grander than you without much trouble. You wouldn't be the first Jedi I've slain either. But since you're so insistent on these missing supplies, let's focus on them shall we?" More than likely they had either been simply misplaced somewhere or kept by their last renter. Either way they'd have to hunt them down.

"Did those workers you were speaking with have any clues or leads as to where they might be? If the logs show them being somewhere within this building still then that only means that our area of interest is smaller. Sorting through every single crate and container in here will hardly be any faster than waiting out the lawyers." If the logs showed that the supplies had indeed been sent to the spaceport then that made their job much harder, unless whoever interacted with them last was around still.

wb1.png

TAGS:

mattboarder.png

Matthew smiled faintly and was quiet for a time considering the other's words. " You are so wrapped up in violent thoughts you think I would harm you when I made no illusion to such course of action? There are other forms of punitive action that do not involve physical altercations. " Matthew stated simply.

" However I feel inclined to agree with you. " Matthew stated softly.

"There may be some other force at play here we have yet to discover. They should have returned by now if they knew exactly where those logs were. I propose we check up on them. Hmnn?"
He spoke surpissingly gently for a man of his sheer size. He was oddly agreeable with working with the other as well, but he didn't appear inclined to allow him to surprisingly continue such silly notions of harm at this time. It was as if Matthew had to speak the truth and rectify such by virtue of it having been spoken. It was a mater of fact tone that was sued to do so.

sunstara.png

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri cocked his head to the side slightly at the remark. What other punishment could the Jedi have possibly meant aside from combat? It wasn't like he could be arrested or anything of that sort after all. He chose to attribute it to strange Jedi ramblings rather than think too long on the possibilities. "I suppose we could, although they could simply just be taking their time. They didn't seem to be in all that much of a hurry earlier."

If there was some sort of other force or interest at play aside from simple corporate mismanagement then it hardly mattered, he would not be denied. Of course that did naturally open up the question of who or what else could be involved regardless. The first step to solving such a thing would be figuring out where those logs were. "Now, where do you think they ran off to then?"

As Alisteri and Matthew agreed to investigate the whereabouts of the missing logs, their focus shifted to locating the workers who were tasked with retrieving them. Matthew pondered for a moment before offering a suggestion.

"I believe they mentioned heading to the main office," Matthew replied, his deep voice carrying a sense of certainty. "That would be the logical place for them to go. Shall we make our way there together?"

With a mutual understanding that cooperation was necessary to accomplish their goals, the unlikely duo set off through the warehouse. As they navigated through crates and boxes, Matthew's height and built frame allowed him to easily stride ahead, his confident presence guiding their path.

Upon reaching the main office, Matthew pushed open the door and entered, followed closely by Alisteri. The room was dimly lit, with filing cabinets lining the walls and a large desk occupying the center. The workers they sought were nowhere to be seen, but a faint sound caught their attention.

A low hum emanated from a corner of the room, drawing their focus. Matthew approached the source cautiously, his keen senses alert for any potential danger. As they got closer, they discovered a hidden door, cleverly concealed within the wall.

Without hesitation, Matthew reached out to the Force, utilizing his sensitivity to detect any traps or hidden mechanisms. Sensing no immediate danger, he turned to Alisteri. "Shall we see where this leads?"

sunstara.png

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri reluctantly deactivated his lightsaber and returned it to his belt, idly gesturing towards the Jedi as he spoke. "You'll have to lead the way, I haven't a clue where that office could be." If he did then he'd have already been in there and in process of threatening the first person he found until the supplies were sent on their way. That could still come later he supposed.

Even with his blade just recently put away he was still tempted to ignite it once more and simply impale the Jedi as he followed after him, his hand idly twitching to do so. If he thought that he could execute the taller man in one quick move then he'd probably have gone for it but he knew better than to think it that easy. Undoubtedly the Jedi was expecting his betrayal to come at any moment and they would wind up in a duel no matter how swift his strike was. Better to play it quiet for now and wait to see who backstabbed who first.

When they finally arrived at and entered into the main office Alisteri sighed at the lack of occupants, neither the pair of workers nor anyone else aside from the two of them. "Where have they scampered off to now?"

His gaze snapped to one of the corners as a low humming noise reached his ears and resisted the urge to pull his lightsaber back into his hand as they approached it. A secret door was not something that he had been expecting, but it did make some sense given the situation. "Hm. Think they may be using this to smuggle out equipment to make some credits on the side?" There was only one way to find out. "Well go on ahead Jedi, I'll be right behind you."

As Matthew and Alisteri approached the secret door, Matthew took the lead, stepping forward with purpose. Pushing the door open, he entered the hidden passage, which was narrower than he had anticipated. The dim light cast eerie shadows along the cramped corridor, amplifying the suspenseful atmosphere.

The passage was suffused with a faint musty odor, indicating that it hadn't been used frequently. Matthew maneuvered through the narrow space, his tall frame making it a tight fit. He had to stoop slightly to avoid scraping against the low ceiling, but he pressed on, undeterred by the confined conditions.

The cramped passage gradually opened up into an unexpected sub storage room, strewn with scattered equipment and crates haphazardly stacked. The room appeared disorganized, with supplies misplaced and neglected. Matthew's keen senses took in the scene, his cerulean blue eyes narrowing in concentration.

The scattered equipment supported Alisteri's suspicion that something illicit was happening here. It seemed that some of the supplies were being secretly diverted for personal gain, rather than reaching their intended destination. The sight troubled Matthew, as it ran counter to the principles of justice and fair distribution.

He carefully maneuvered through the cluttered room, stepping over stray crates and equipment. It was clear that the workers who had gone missing had been involved in these activities, likely profiting from their unauthorized actions. Matthew's disappointment was palpable, as he valued honesty and integrity in all endeavors.

As he surveyed the messy room, his gaze caught a glimpse of something out of place. Amongst the chaotic scene, he noticed a piece of clothing that had been left behind—a worker's uniform. Matthew approached it, bending down to pick it up and examine it closely.

"This uniform belongs to one of the workers," Matthew remarked, his voice tinged with concern. "It seems they have been involved in these unauthorized activities. Their actions have not only undermined the resolution of the dispute but have also betrayed the trust placed in them."
He folded it lightly over an arm as he looked throughout the disheveled room.

"It appears we have our answers but are missing the true culprits. "
Matthew stated simply. "I imagine they overlooked forging and falsifying new logs and panicked. How do you propose we proceed? "
sunstara.png

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Having to move through cramped confines was nothing new to Alisteri, he had spent more than his fair share of time crawling through vents and maintenance tunnels time and time again after all, but doing so behind a Jedi was new. At least this one didn't seem too bothered by the tight space either despite his height.

When they finally moved into another room Alisteri briefly looked over the storage room for signs of life or activity that would herald a trap, finding nothing aside from themselves. His attention then turned to the crates and supplies that littered the room. He knelt down and idly picked up one of the pieces of equipment, recognizing the model from the spaceport. "Still think that simply talking with them is good enough Jedi? They're just trying to make a few quick credits on the side."

He set down the equipment in disgust and stood up as he glanced back at Matthew, seeing that the man had began making his way across the room. While he admittedly hadn't expected foul play on the part of the workers he wasn't too surprised, although he had thought that the more corporate areas were to blame rather than the supply warehouse workers themselves. He trailed after the taller man and glanced around for any signs of an exit or potential escape route that might have been used recently.

When Matthew spoke again he looked back at the Jedi and resisted the urge to scowl at the sight of the uniform. "They're a bunch of crooks evidently. Probably selling the equipment to private interests at a cheaper price than the company itself offers." He had been around the more illicit parts of cities to know what sorts of things went on, undercutting a larger business was a common practice across the galaxy it seemed.

Alisteri rolled his shoulders at the question and peered around the storage room once more before making his way back over to the Jedi. "Well the way I see it we have the missing supplies right here, and even more than expected. Logs or no logs we can still get the spaceport what it needs without having to worry about messing up any paperwork. As for the workers..." He idly pulled his lightsaber from his belt again. "If they want to scurry away from their crimes then I think we're obligated to hunt them down. They can't have gotten too far, if one of us hurries after them while the other gets the supplies out of here then this whole mess is solved in one fell swoop."

"Your plan has its merits," Matthew began, his voice steady. "However, I believe it would be wise for us to approach the authorities together first. Presenting our findings and evidence to the proper channels will not only ensure a fair and thorough investigation but also provide legitimacy to our actions."

He deigned to place a hand on Alisteri's shoulder, his touch gentle yet firm. "By cooperating with the authorities, we can contribute to a stronger case against these individuals and increase the chances of justice being served. It is important that we work within the system, demonstrating our commitment to upholding the law and maintaining order."

Matthew turned his cold blue eyes to the smaller, his expression reflecting a sense of determination. "Once we have taken the necessary steps to involve the authorities, we can focus on tracking down the workers. By doing so, we can ensure that they face the consequences of their actions while maintaining our integrity and the integrity of the mission. I suggest we prioritize working alongside the authorities. Doing so will present a united front and bring these individuals to justice. We can then proceed with our pursuit, confident that our actions are supported by the proper channels and that we are upholding the local laws."

He paused briefly, allowing his words to sink in.

Matthew's suggestion aimed to strike a balance between Alisteri's drive for immediate action and his own inclination to follow established protocols. By seeking the assistance of the authorities, they could bolster their case and ensure a more comprehensive approach to resolving the situation.
sunstara.png

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri's response to the Jedi's suggestion was a stare, giving off the appearance of a blank look even with his mask hiding his expression. "Legitimacy? A Jedi is worried about legitimacy?" He was no stranger to such procedures, he was an Inquisitor after all, but he was not beholden to the local authorities in any manner. If he saw an injustice that needed correction, then he would do so without delay. Why bother roping in unnecessary people that would only slow down the process?

He recoiled slightly, more of a flinch really, at the touch to his shoulder but he didn't interrupt or jerk away as Matthew continued to make his case for contacting the locals. While he didn't seem all that interested in what was being said he could understand the logic behind it, even if he disagreed with it. There did tend to be a rather negative reaction to finding a few corpses just laying around after all, even if those corpses had been criminals before their untimely demise. He had plenty of first hand experience with such reactions and none of them had ever ended all that well for him.

"The authorities are already trying to ensure that the limited supplies they have now can be dealt out accordingly, unless we bring them what they need then I doubt going after these workers will be their primary focus." Public relations and handing out needed equipment did take a fair bit of time and effort even with all the needed resources ready and available.

"For all we know these criminals have contacts in both the legal and illegal markets of this world and are already planning their escape from justice, alerting and involving the authorities will take too much time. Who knows how far they've gotten already whilst we've been here? If we want to ensure that their punishment is dealt then we have to pursue them now before they can get away."

Matthew took a moment to absorb Alisteri's words, sensing the deep conviction behind them. He recognized the stark contrast between their respective backgrounds and approached the situation with a sense of openness, even when it aligned with the Sith's perspective. Keeping his voice measured, he responded cautiously.

"Strosius, I understand the urgency you feel and the gravity of the situation,"
Matthew began, his tone tinged with a mix of understanding and unease. "Your concerns about the authorities' potential delays and the possibility of the criminals eluding justice are valid points to consider."
He paused briefly, his cerulean blue eyes meeting Alisteri's gaze. "While involving the authorities may have its benefits, we cannot discount the possibility of these criminals having influential contacts and finding ways to escape. Time is indeed of the essence."

Matthew's voice softened as he continued. "Although our perspectives may differ, we share a common goal in bringing these criminals to justice. I am willing to trust your judgment on this matter, Strosius. If you believe that swift action is necessary, I will stand by your side."
He took a step closer, his voice filled with a sense of camaraderie. "Let us pursue these individuals without delay. We shall confront them and ensure that they face the consequences of their actions, even if it means deviating from the established protocols. We will maintain the law to the spirit not the letter."

In conceding to Alisteri's perspective, Matthew showed a willingness to prioritize their shared mission over traditional approaches. Despite the lack of knowledge regarding Alisteri's true identity, Matthew acknowledged the Sith's expertise and understood the importance of trust and unity in such situations.
sunstara.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom