Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Counterpoint

Master Romi Jade Romi Jade -

We've only met
briefly, but we have friends in common - Coren Starchaser Coren Starchaser for one. Until recently I was the Hoth enclave's one and only resident, and now I'm looking for a new home. I'm the sort of Jedi who appreciates small enclaves over large temples, and I'm told you have similar tastes. I'm also told you lead or mentor a formal or informal enclave of Jedi.

I know your reputation for combat skill. I'll never be a particularly good supporting teacher in that regard, unless you need someone to learn Niman. However, my understanding of the Force is eclectic and might make a useful counterpoint to help you round out your students' skillsets. I specialize in learning unusual Force talents from species and cultures who've rarely if ever encountered the Jedi. If you have room for a teacher in your enclave, I'd be happy to contribute.

Jend-Ro Quill

Master Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill ,

I was really disturbed when I heard of the events transpiring on Hoth. Unfortunately, the news is fresh to me and luckily so as I could've found myself there at one point or another, because I do frequent satellite facilities during my travels, so what you've heard is right. However, I'm grateful you've made it off-world safely.

Yes, it's because of these series of events that i've went ahead and established another facility here on Jakku, something a bit more obscure in a place of low priority. It isn't much, but my hope is that it can serve its proper function during these times to a good amount of success. Your broad range of knowledge on topics concerning the Force is indispensable, and I would love to welcome you into this space. There's plenty of room.

When should I expect your arrival?

Quill stared at Romi Jade Romi Jade 's reply with rising distress. Jakku was hot. Extremely hot.

But on the plus side...it had very few people. Its population density was only a notch above Hoth. Life with Odion Syndrome would be more than manageable. And deserts got comfortably frigid at night. He suspected that he'd become nocturnal in short order.

Master Jade-

Thank you for accepting my offer. I'll be there within the week.

My departure from Hoth wasn't as disturbing as all that. I miss my home, of course, but I wasn't evicted - I'm not even sure the First Order knew I was there. They were fighting a pitched battle with some people who had a similar aesthetic, and my gut was telling me that, win or lose, stormtroopers were there to stay. Perhaps they'd have been friendly stormtroopers, but that wouldn't have done much for my stress levels.

Part of that is a function of my need for low population density. I have what some old texts call Odion Syndrome - a vanishingly rare Force disorder. Being around other people is painful; a crowd's life energy especially. You might have heard my reputation for leaving large Jedi meetings early. So a small enclave setting on a planet without cities is a best-case scenario for me. I can't wait to see your site on Jakku.

-Quill

Master Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill ,

If this First Order is anything like the one from the past, it's likely best you left when you did and without them noticing much. They have a certain track record for raiding and destroying structures like the Enclave...that among other disturbing activities. It beckons investigation at some point but...

The corners of her mouth creased, she bore a sly smirk reading over his message.

I can assure you there won't be any large gatherings on Jakku any time soon, most can't bear the heat and others wouldn't be able to handle how invasive the sand is haha. But the facility has much of what it needs to maintain, it's got proper ventilation, rations, etc. so you'll have your proper space and more. If there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime to prep for your arrival, feel free to let me know.

I'll forward to you the exact coordinates, and the codes for docking and access to the turbolifts. I'll be here to greet you when you arrive.

R.J

...how invasive the sand is haha.

"The sand...is haha," he said to himself, and re-read the line in befuddlement. "Ah. How invasive the sand is, ha ha."

Four days' work and travel put him on Jakku. He lingered in orbit and landed after the nightfall terminator passed the site of Romi's enclave. Late evening blunted the heat; a comfortable chill was sweeping in, though the sand was still hot underfoot. This being nothing like even a hot day back on Hoth, nor the usual chill aboard the Visitor when he traveled alone, he'd left his outer robes back in the ship. What he wore wasn't far off from something you'd see on a local manual laborer, plus a pair of lightsabers.

True to Romi's word, the place felt remote and nearly deserted - a good replacement for Hoth's pure solitude.

She casually threw out her hand, jabbing her thumb into the slot before the doors slide open at command -- then there went those blonde locs of hers flailing about a stray current. Her eyes had adjusted to the mid-lighting down below, and even though nightfall was lingering there was still a natural lighting about that took her a sec to adjust to.

Throwing her vision far -- or at least she tried to no avail; nearsightedness was a pain and all these changes in light temperature made it more of a pain. But she could see a silhouette of a figure alright...there weren't many people roaming around so one could only assume...

"Master Quill!" she brought her voice up in pitch, hoping it'll stretch over the mild winds sprinting the dunes, "Is that you? Welcome!"

She started waving her hands, stretching wide and from left to right.

Jend-Ro Quill Jend-Ro Quill

Romi Jade Romi Jade

After looking around awkwardly for wherever she was calling from, Quill waved back and approached.

"This place definitely does not look like a Jedi enclave. It looks like a waste reclamation facility, a power station, something utilities-related. Without exact coordinates I'd never have found it. I absolutely love the solitude."

He'd only met her once or twice. She'd always given him the impression of a hardbitten warrior, and he respected that. It reminded him of many, many Jedi he'd known across maybe fifteen years of bitter wars - of one kind or another.

"I realized you look just like Master Laklii - she died in the Clockwork Rebellion. Did you know her at all? I think she was from Hapes."

He went on to describe his initial impressions, and she excitedly nodded to his drum; it meant things were just as she hoped they were. She did a hand-wave, warmly motioning for him to follow. Just through the entry dome was the turbolift that'd take them to the complex below.

Hahahe

"I'm glad you like it thus far, I was hoping you would. I mention Jakku and people get a bit turned off by the thoughts of a dessert, and rightfully so. But, seeing as I like a bit of my own space too...I saw opportunity." The cylindrical door popped through its mechanical mechanisms and opened at the motion of their approach. She glided in and presumed Quill to be behind her. "I know this is like on the opposite end of the spectrum in comparison to Hoth -- the whole cold now hot thing, but I do hope you find comfort here." Her voice cut through the echoing lock pops and the technical hum of the 'lift taking them down.

"I realized you look just like Master Laklii - she died in the Clockwork Rebellion. Did you know her at all? I think she was from Hapes."

"I-I hadn't heard of her before. Interesting though as I am also part Hapan" her giggle was of the most curious tone, and so was the quirky head tilt that followed. She did get that she looked like other masters before, "Some have said I resemble Master Kana Truden Kana Truden but it's a first for Laklii."

The low rumble and mild shake was an indication that they'd made it down -- just a couple minutes or more. The first Rotunda on exit was the Green Room.

"Funny enough, most of these plants are from Hapes..." she paced around, "I know you're probably not looking for a full tour or anything, so I can just show you to the Living Quarters where you'll have free reign. I'm sure you're tired from the travel."

Though now that he was here...her thoughts were donning on her. Maybe he could assist her with something. Should she mention it though?

The man had only just got here -- jeez.

--

Quill shook his head, then clued in that she couldn't see him at the moment. "I slept in orbit and came downwell once the terminator passed - once night came. Deserts are nice and chilly at night. I'll probably be nocturnal here. All that to say, I'm not tired. Don't have much need for-" He hefted his ragged backpack. "-storage space but I'll drop this in the..."

He'd forgotten he was going to show her something. Squatting in the turbolift, he opened the bag and pulled out a bundle that clanked like rock and metal.

"A few things to help stock the shelves and the vaults. Trinkets and training gear and a few special bits."

He was about to unbundle them when the turbolift stopped smoothly. The doors opened to a circular chamber full of planters. Very far overhead, he saw starlight.

"Natural lighting. I'm guessing this is brighter during the day." He stuffed the heavy bundle back in his pack for now. "Are those skylights up there? I'd thought we were too far down for that. Fortified light pipes? High-rez displays?"

She recalled a bit of rumbling, but hadn't thought much of it just then; she figured he was going through some of his personal items.

"Oh neat, thanks. Yeah, storage is pretty bare for the moment. So there's tons of space. There's two smaller chambers adjacent to one another just on the other side suitable for gear and such. Use however much of it as you want." a quick pirouette helped her change course from a backpedal to a slow stroll.

"Natural lighting. I'm guessing this is brighter during the day." He stuffed the heavy bundle back in his pack for now. "Are those skylights up there? I'd thought we were too far down for that. Fortified light pipes? High-rez displays?"

Her head tilted up, "More or less." She cut through the very dim beam, "There's a small crater up there, fitted with a thin transparisteel glass frame, the lighting is iffy and the sand often does what it wants really. Johannes -- he helped retrofitt this place -- thought it was a good idea for there to be an element of natural light for the plants. It was an alright idea in theory." She strolling around the center dais.

"But there are illumi-strips in the upper panels, situated above most of the plants," She clumsily pointed with a finger, sunlight was best but artificial light worked too for plant growth, "They’re censored to come on when its gets to be a bit too dark. The control panel is just over there. It bugs a bit sometimes but..."

She walked towards the next corridor, a bit slanted forward to go up a very small incline. At the next intersection, some feet down the corridor, she went left.

Another corridor later

They'd enter the Audience Chamber, where the floors were clear "This is the main gathering area. It also functions as the training dojo."

She walked in a few steps and cut a a half circle.

--

Last edited:
Romi Jade Romi Jade moved with a fluid, confident awareness of her body that Quill had only seen in the very best dancers, athletes, and fighters. If he wasn't twice her age and an asexual hermit, he knew he'd have been dazzled.

He looked around the training room. "Circular - no wasted corners. Good for small groups, not large. Good for one on one and velocities. You could...do you have modular walls I could set up in here? I like to train in close quarters, cramped. Practice for Sith temples and shipboard actions."

She rolled her lip and bit down, working the room -- that was a good idea

Swiveling her head, "That's...a really good idea," she thought it about it more, envisioning it "Yeah no, lets add that. That hadn't crossed my mind, but that should get incorporated." Her eyes worked another circular-upward pattern, from one side, up and over to next before slowly stepping back a bit to take in the weight of the room.

"Master Quill, this is already working out. Glad you're here." she offered a warm smile in return for his amazing and helpful candor -- she figured they'd work well together; he thought in ways she likely didn't. "Let me show you the common area and storage."

Backtracking really, another bank left and down the inclined walkway would put them in the common area.

"Here's the main hub," she strolled in, lessening with each step. "We've got a few high-backed chairs ringing the walls, and a couple of benches about," She threw a hand here, and a finger there to indicate location. "I imagine a bit of training could be done here as well...if need be. The floor is mostly clear towards the center."

She planted her foot and whipped around to gage his thoughts, "What do you think?"

Romi Jade Romi Jade

"Oh, this is very nice." Quill put down his pack and settled into one of the chairs. "I use - used - a room a bit like this for training meetings back on Hoth." He gestured expansively at the tables and empty spaces. "Perfect for learning things that live more in the mind than the body."

He pulled the bundle out of his pack again and went to unwrap it on one of the tables. "Some housewarming gifts - training tools, for example."

First was a silver lightsaber, somewhat damaged, with an exposed green kyber crystal. "This belonged to Master Kelos Windspeaker before the Catharian Hegemony killed him on Bogo Rai. I got there too late to save him, but at least I could bring this back. Holding it, meditating on it, sometimes gives me visions of the past, present, future..."

Next came a pale, rippled stone sphere he could hold in one hand. "A Perspective Stone, for sharing memories with many people at once."

And a circular, symbol-marked pendant of kyberite alloy- "A confessional talisman, useful for reawakening the conscience in yourself or others."

A few pairs of simple metal cuffs- "Jedi restraints. Force suppression on anyone who wears them."

A handful of small polished rocks- "Solitude Stones, for long-distance communication - mostly just feelings and ideas, but limited words as well."

And last but certainly not least, a pair of ancient statues in a strange bronze metal, large enough to be held in both hands. They were easily the heaviest things in the pack. "These are two of the Seven Husbands - extragalactic artifacts. The Gossamer expedition found the statues in Firefist." He explained the statues' nature and limitations - extremely powerful defensive artifacts, so long as they were held in both hands.

Aha -- an astonished burst of laughter.

"Just how many gifts do you carry around at any given point?" She teased, his bundle seemed otherworldly. "Ohh neat." She approached with with the most curious and imaginative expression; like a kid in awe.

Lightsabers were all unique to their users, and she'd always taken pride in how she proceeded to craft her own. Gazing upon others was a silent yet unrealized hobby of hers. This was had a story, and she was intrigued. "A symbol of service and an idol to focus on...interesting."

She trailed his hand for whatever was pop out next.

But it was the ripple stone that made her stomach go entirely light and she silent -- "May...I?" she sought after it with hopes he'd allow her to hold it for closer inspection for just a sec. The most serious wave of apprehension washed over her frame.

She drifted off, but her senses brought her back and she followed along with the rest of the slated items.

Eheh

She sighed out a breath that functioned mostly as low laughter. "These are quite the set of items. For some reason I knew you'd come with some obscure artifact from a place in the galaxy i'd never been to, and I would in fact be starstruck." She couldn't hold back the expression of surprise, "But you've come with six of those items." She shot back over to sphere...

Her lips parted and her jaws indeed moved as if she were going to speak words.

"Master Quill...I was going to wait to ask. At least until you've settled in but--" She took a moment before twisted her frame and going for the seat just next to him, "I can't imagine this is all a coincidence. You, being here now and with this and me trying to work out in my mind what I saw and not being able to share that." She turned just to look at him.

"I remember our first encounter when we all met to discuss the issue of the Bryn'adul. Recently, I took a trip to Prosperity to visit, see some dead bryn bodies -- I know I know it's weird." She took a beat, "I was searching for an answer...and I'd use the Crown of Verity to search the emotional echoes they left behind....and what I saw and felt was--"

She couldn't describe it.

She couldn't even explain it.

"I can't verbalize it or describe it other than I saw some type of stone or rock?" The thought of it plagued her, "I just have the memory...I hear it, feel it. And I don't know what the kark it is."

She took a breath, "You've studied various other traditions and even looked a bit into the Bryn to have briefed us the way you did. I wanted to seek your advice but I couldn't find a way to show you or tell you." She look to the sphere. "Could this work?"

--

Last edited:
Romi Jade Romi Jade

"Well, I did evacuate my enclave - this is just my collection. Most of it's just my work, except for the Seven Husbands statue of course."

Quill laid the Husband statue aside and listened intently, getting a sense of the depth of feeling behind her words. While he didn't tend to pick up on facial nuance well, the Force helped.

"Absolutely," he said. "That's what I built it for. I share memories with other Jedi pretty often, not just for training but to pass on crisp, clear ideas of what I've seen or felt. The stone lets any Jedi do the same, without needing my experience with sharing memories. While you're sharing this memory with me, could you be sure to share a good sense of this Crown of Verity? It sounds interesting."

Last edited:
She nodded. "Right."

She pushed for the full extension of her arm, palming the sphere just out in front of her. Hesitant in her ability to recall, she started to funnel her energy through the device, recalling on the day and times of which she felt such strong emotion, the voices and presence of Loske and Ryv, the stench of decomposed flesh...of the alien variety.

The back of her neck grew cold, and her head heavy.

She shut her eyes.

"The Crown of Verity is an artifact I recovered a bit ago. It's original function was that it forced any who wore it to discern the truth from lies. But the Jedi artisan guild members thought it could be recalibrated and used also a totem of focus. We were fighting a war at the time...and my use of Battle Meditation was being called on more and more. The masters thought it could help me maintain tighter focus and locate the signatures of others with the hopes of better coordination. So I helped them rebuild it with its original function still in place but it had grown into a device that amplified telepathic abilities."

She had only used it twice...and she was still learning its power.

She proceed to project her memories through the sphere -- x & x

---

Last edited:
Quill lingered a little too long over the details of the crown before the tidal surge of Romi Jade Romi Jade 's memories swamped him. She'd used the Crown in an innovative way, almost psychometric. In the material world, he scratched his short beard in thought and sank back into the comfortable armchair.

"This is...familiar," he said slowly. "Some broken Drael weapons and equipment included shards of stone and no obvious power source - not even a truly technological nature. Strange resonance in the Force, too. Understand - the Drael Forcers don't consider themselves Darksiders and aren't running around swamped in rage, at least not like a Sith. Killing frenzy, certainly, but they consider their genocidal mission a positive one for the galaxy's overall health. Tathra effectively told me so more than once. All that to say, if these Force-attuned rocks are in some sense fundamental to how the Drael operate..." He flinched at a detail, a spark of memory, and took a moment to re-gather his thoughts. "...bound to them, even, almost like a fingerprint- or gene-locked blaster..."

He flinched again but stuck with the memory. In fact he applied the unique talent he'd learned from the Elders of Entooine - making the memory permanent - and passed Romi the memory of how to do that herself. This seemed like the kind of thing worth perfect recall.

"I'm largely speculating. I wonder if any Sith have tried to use Force Drain on these...stones. Force Drain tends to spiderweb and propagate through Force bonds, and if there's a connectedness..."

She felt a sense of relief that Quill could provide some insight; whatever it was. Since she'd seen it, it was as if it maintained refuge in the deepest places of her mind.

Sitting idle...waiting

It was a memory, but one that wasn't hers and it felt invasive.

In some way she thought there was some sort of connection, the coordination and emission she felt on Honoghr was really the event that prompted her to look into this.

"I'm largely speculating. I wonder if any Sith have tried to use Force Drain on these...stones. Force Drain tends to spiderweb and propagate through Force bonds, and if there's a connectedness..."

"Then the effect can spread..." she exhaled in illuminating discovery. "Interesting...To my knowledge, I don't know of any Sith personally that possess the ability. But, perhaps Thurion Heavenshield Thurion Heavenshield might...unless you know of someone?" she released her center and melted back into the chair in thought. "But even if he doesn't...he should know this -- for Midvinter."

"An interesting theory."

A beat.

"The landscape...I assume that was a very specific location, and one they’d like to protect. Their base-world maybe? Have you seen or heard of anything that looks like that in your travels?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom