Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Strains (CSA/ME)

“I can speak only to my experience with the man, Aunt Kay. Once he strikes a deal, he keeps it... I do not know of his other pursuits, but I shall investigate them. He is perilous and ruthless in battle. He is ruthless in negotiations. He is honourable once the contracts are signed.”

Mand’alor the Infernal was silent for some time, staring at the Admiral who dared offend her by calling her ‘afraid’.

Telling her she stammered. Her Mandalorians rose up to throw the man's words down, and Yasha stood in silence. She would not add her voice to the rousing sounds until they ebbed away.

“You want to take on the Sith Empire, and you call me afraid. You tell me my words are unclear to your ears. [member="Lady Kay"] if this man speaks for you, then the bodies of your people will be cremated by the force of the might I have seen surrounding Bastion. Dubrillon. Who do you think, Admiral, will be the ones to hold the line while your ships attack? I will. Who do you think will be burning the copious dead in a conflict without restraint? I will. A conflict between Sith and Commenor is a conflict my People might fight and die for, so excuse me if I wish to make those deaths worthwhile or more hopefully nonexistent. My people are clear, some want war, others want the highest price, and yet others would turn from Commenor completely and leave you to your fate without a single fired gun for how you speak.

You are eager as a teenaged boy during a spring dance to feel up the skirt of open war, when your people would be the ones to suffer and die. When Ession would happen to Commenor and Cato Nemoidia, and all the worlds of this Alliance. You, who chases after the heels of it as if your battle-lust is a benefit, before proper application of tactics. One does not storm Bastion and throw grenades out the window! One prepares for a conflict of that magnitude and you cannot even protect your Alliance’s ships from a blockade!

Afraid. How dare you dishonour this room by calling my prudence fear. How dare you dishonour my Aunt’s penchant for peaceful means by claiming my reticence in her own chamber? Did you not think that I may be attempting to respect the policies Queen Kay herself brought forth? Perhaps you should shut your mouth at words such as fear and stammering, if you wish to save your lips.

I did not travel to Commenor with fleets built for war to sit passively by while an ignoramus calls petty threats my child can rebuff.

Get this ship jockey out of my sight, or lose him.”

Her Mandalorians rose to defend their Mand’alor, and the Hell Wolf stood perilous in the middle of the room. As always [member="Alkor Centaris"] came with a voice filled with reason. It was a particularly non-Mandalorian trait to offer help in other people’s affairs. She raised her hand at [member="Keira Verd"], turning her attentions to the task at hand.

“Easy, Keira, [member="Tom Taff"]. Our first priority is the safety of Commenor’s spacelanes. Once the flow of the blockade ceases and the Sith return to their own space, we can look forward… and we will… we will protect what is Mandalorian. The rest must pay.”

Looking to [member="Alkor Centaris"], Yasha’s wolf-helm nodded. The man was right. What business did Mandalore have defending those outside their own culture and people? It was most odd indeed for a Mandalorian to offer such assistance, Commenor was their closest friend, but not their closest neighbour.

If she was to give [member="Lady Kay"] the support she needed, Yasha had to inspire her Mandalorians to a war which could end them, or, as her hope, end the conflict without a further shot fired. The taking of Galactic Alliance refugees soured her mouth, yet also it punched into her with a gut rot of Myrkr's massacre.

If she had the chance to take those responsible for the slaughter of Mandalorian civilians at Myrkr, Yasha Mantis would take it. This conflict was far from simple or clear with black on one side and white on the other. The battles which had been fought in the galaxy as a whole muddied the walls, destroying set lines to the compulsions of governments to protect themselves.

There was no other option. There would be war, or there would be peace… whether that peace was bought by the silence of the dead, or the salvation of the living negotiator was yet to be seen.

[member="Yasha Mantis"]

Berman took his Queens order and went to leave the room. Yasha spoke up and he stared at the door at the door as he listened "People are going to die. People already have. We can't hide behind potential death when no matter what happens, people will die. They already started. We all know pain and suffering, and watched those we loved die. But the bodies will continue to fall unless we put a stop to it, here and now. It's time for the Sith Empire... to end." Bermann dropped his cane and raised his right arm towards the wall behind Lady Kays desk. His palm opened and those in the room with the ability to sense the force felt him pull something off the wall. What landed in his hand was a sword of great craftsmanship. He didn't say another word or listen to any goodbyes. He exited through the door and left the Queens Office

Aedan watched the man noticing as he opened his hand following the flow of the force before catching sight of the sword the man was pulling towards him his smirk darkened as Aedan stood swiftly the chair clattering backward as he extended his hand. Not many people knew this about the Pirate King but he didn't have a very large portfolio when it came to Force Powers but he had focused himself on one group and two individual powers. Force Telekinesis could do wonderful things especially when one was close to being the undisputed master of it. Focusing his power on the weapon he gave it a yank drawing it towards himself letting his anger and rage fuel his power as he glared. This man had insulted Mand'alor not once but twice that meant payment was necessary and that sword would be a good down payment. As he used the force to draw the man's sword towards him his left hand drew from his belt a foot long fighting knife of beskar spinning it around his hand until he held it in a backhand grip. "You behaviour has dictated that payment is necessary to prevent bloodshed. As such this sword will do nicely as a down payment for you. Becareful with your ships it would be a shame if something were to happen to them." He let his words fill the room the warning clear in them he turned to Yasha and bowed at the waist his eyes still a swirl of violet and crimson as he looked to her. "Mand'alor if I may be so bold I believe that this meeting is a waste of our time. Clearly the hierarchy of Commenor desire a war as they refuse to see any other way to avoid it. I for one as is my right as Alor of Clan Akaata I decree that not a single ship from my group shall fly to their aid until appropriate payment has been made for today."

[member="Anweald Bermann"] [member="Yasha Mantis"] [member="Lady Kay"] [member="Tom Taff"] [member="Alkor Centaris"] [member="Raiz Australis"] [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] [member="Keira Verd"]

[member="Jaster of Clan Awaud"] put his hand up as she approached. She let her connection fade, although not completely as she put her hands back down at her side with a small frown. She figured he might prefer healing naturally than through the Force. Or maybe as some type of statement. Whatever the case, she nodded and stood beside him instead. Beth didn't know much about the Sith except what [member="Yasha Mantis"] had spoken to her and of course, what she found throughout the HoloNet. There was a lot of propaganda throughout the HoloNet and sometimes it was hard to tell what was real and not real.

She saw her brother, [member="Raiz Australis"], come in just as Jaster decided to take his leave. Beth frowned, her long ears very limp. This talk, which came as a way to help Commenori, quickly became... Depressing, to say the least. She glanced to [member="Alkor Centaris"] as he spoke. She didn't want to leave the Commenori - she loved the CSA. She didn't believe they would, no matter who could pay more. But, then Tom showed up! "Tom'ika!" Beth nearly squealed but stayed somewhat quiet as she quickly gave him a hug. "It's... A bit tense, to say the least." Tom gave a good speech! Although the mention of [member="Rex Taff"] broke her heart. She knew he was hurting over him disappearing. She could only hope Rex was okay wherever he was...

And then [member="Lady KAy"] spoke. Beth noted that Lady Kay still wanted a peaceful resolution - she preferred that, too. Beth didn't want to jump into a war with the Sith... At all. Lady Kay spoke directly to Beth. She realized she really shouldn't have said anything, but she felt necessary to protect her mom. And the Mando'ade. Beth slinked next to Yasha, "You're right, he was.... Just kinda being a meanie, to be honest," she muttered. Beth's ears were fully down as if she had been scolded. Beth knew she wasn't and really, Lady Kay responded in a way that made Beth feel like an adult at the table. "You know I will always stand behind the Commenori."

Beth sighed at the scene, "Okayyyy, I think we all need to kind of calm down. We're all friends and family here, right? Let's focus on resolving this situation. We want to help!" She may be a bit naive and optimistic, but... They needed to not focus on what the admiral did or said, but on what they needed to do to clear the blockade.

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
"I know, Yasha, I know.
That's why I'm trying to show you the other side of things. That way we can try to get a better understanding of the man and his motives."
Even the hidden ones. For it was clear that Carnifex had them.

Kay let her niece say her piece to Bermann. She needed to show that she couldn't be pushed around or bullied by those beneath her. And [member="Yasha Mantis"] did so very well. Even with showing restraint.

She clenched her jaw as Bermann continued to speak while he headed out of her office. That was a bad move. Yet what surprised her most was when he called upon the Force to remove a sword from her wall. Since when could he do that?

[member="Aedan Miles"] caught the sword in his hand however. And the words that he spoke were so very wrong. It was as though he had assumed thay Bermann was running things for the CSA and not her. Kay was the High Queen, was she not? She out ranked a common Admiral in many ways. So how could it be that Aedan believed Bermann to be the hierarchy of Commenor? It was absurd.

Leaving Yasha's side, Kay approached Aedan with her hand held out, palm up. "Thank you for retrieving my sword and not allowing it to leave my office. I'll kindly take it back now. And as for the newly appointed Admiral, he will face consequences for his words here today. Not everyone is suited for political talks and it isn't until one is faced with them, that they come to realize how ill suited they are."

Now she stood alone in her office full of Mandalorians, some with words that threatened, although not personally. She understood their anger and had gone through too many inter-government meetings that tended to end in violence. That was not going to happen today. She was not going to allow herself to get angry at them for defending her niece.

Kay glanced over her shoulder to [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] , giving the girl an appreciative nod of her head. Then she turned once again to the others. "I am not asking for war. I am not asking for a fight. All that I'm asking for...is a possible solution. Various ideas have been suggested by my people and with your unexpected arrival, I was prepared to hear more."

Still she stood in front of Aedan with her hand held out until she'd get her property returned to her.

Kay looked up to Yasha. "If the offer still stands for you to help with the negotiations, then once again I say that I would gladly accept. But if all of that is off the table, then I completely understand and will not think badly about you for that decision." Either way, she still had to deal with the blockade. Whether that was to be done on her own or not, that fact still remained.

[member="Tom Taff"] [member="Raiz Australis"] [member="Keira Verd"] [member="Alkor Centaris"]

"Te dar'jetii kariya kyr'amur. Naas'ori." The Mando'a was intended for [member="Alkor Centaris"], a retort to his own offhanded commentary. Slowly the remainder of the vode trickled in, each making their opinion known in short order. Keira listened to each of them speak, until finally [member="Lady Kay"] made her voice heard again, reminding everyone again that peace was the intention here. Loath though she was to offer any sort of diplomacy to the Sith, she could understand and respect the sentiments of a foreign nation well enough.

Allowing silence to fall over the room briefly, for it had been in such short supply until that moment, she finally spoke, "Clan Verd stands with you, in war or peace." After all, the clans had right to autonomy, and until [member="Yasha Mantis"] made her rallying cry that remained. "If you want to negotiate, we'll go with you. But we won't talk diplomacy at the expense of your people or ours." She would bend only so far, and if the terms Carnifex offered only clearly benefitted the opposing side, then she wouldn't stand for them.

"Have you attempted to make contact with him before this? I'm not sure how wise it would be to go there in person, given what he's already demanded. He's going to take every opportunity to hold anything against you or your people, whether that's your own life or the lives of others. It's in your best interests to remain in friendly territory."

"The Sith deserve death. Nothing more."

[member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] | [member="Aedan Miles"] | [member="Tom Taff"] | [member="Raiz Australis"]

Conflict. Conflict itself is his motive. It is the energy in which his universe contracts, expands, it is the force which congeals atomic particles into their dance. The Galaxy functions upon it, for life without the aggression of another conflicting push is the stagnation of decay and death. As I interpret him, and I do not know him well, that is what I see… Mama and I knew of him in the Netherworld, when we were all cast to the Chaos. When Ra brought me to learn during a treaty negotiation with [member="Darth Carnifex"], I saw him. I sensed the everlasting upon him, and I knew we both were in kindred places.” Words exchanged, Kay admitted the Admiral was ill suited for diplomacy and Yasha could only snarl under her helm.

Once he was gone, and several Mandalorians exited to guard the halls, Yasha leaned against the wall and crossed her arms over her chest.

“I remain as ever loyal to you, Ba’vodu.” Yasha tilted her wolf-helm to nod at the High Queen, listening to the calls across the room. “I will negotiate with you, and on your behalf… we must discuss what terms you would be willing to accept.”

[member="Aedan Miles"] prevented a theft, and the offensive man disappeared from the room. Good. Far be it for Yasha to make a bloody stain on [member="Lady Kay"]’s marble floor. [member="Keira Verd"] gave her advice again, harsh yet yielding. [member="Alkor Centaris"] remained, [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] spoke well and Yasha reminded herself to praise her daughter in private later.

“I have a suggestion.” Yasha’s audio-processed voice was deeper with the buy’ce in place, resounding through the room. “There are stations across the neutral areas around our Empires, hold-off points from the Mandalorian reaches, which were before the former empire fell, and mine took hold of the Galaxy. We are, slowly, reintegrating these stations with our new supplies and tech, creating fallout points, sensor listening posts, and the like.

A station I used previously, manned by a skeleton crew of Mantis clones, is in neutral space. We should use it. Meet with him there. As much as I would love to open my communicator and make a simple holo call, it is best if we meet face to face… unless you are wary of that, Ba’vodu Kay. Keira has a solid point. He may attempt something, but somehow I doubt it. We do need to talk, however, on what you are willing to bargain. The situation with the Galactic Alliance is not simple. There are some who pose as refugees, who have committed acts of terrorism and war against the Sith. I too would want those responsible for Myrkr captured and destroyed.

Members of the Galactic Alliance entered our territory, murdered our people, and ran like ta’rats. I cannot delight in the movement of peoples, when some may be using Commenor as a smoke screen. In order to save the many, are you willing to deny a few? I ask hard questions, because I know he will. This is not as simple, when those in Commenor space and visibly allied with Commenor are known to antagonize and rebel against him directly. How would he look to his own people if he reneged on force against known enemies? We must know what terms can be accepted before going into negotiations.”

Ravenfire

King of Pumpkins
RexyDiv.png

Tom was surprised by the admiral's sudden taking of a sword. Tom nearly did something himself but [member="Aedan Miles"] took it instead. Thank the lords. That Admiral though [member="Anweald Bermann"]. He was in the wrong position with powers like that and needed to be looked after to make sure he didn't fall. "My lady one final word on the admiral, can I suggest Stardust and the knights of the commeri keep an eye on him. Someone with powers like that and an anger streak could lead to another sith lord under our noses."

He would listen to [member="Lady Kay"] speak, [member="Keira Verd"] and [member="Yasha Mantis"] spoke as well. Meanwhile he came back with something. "Lady Kay, Mand'alor Keira is right, we can't let either of you go alone to meet Carnifex. I can assure you he will not be alone when he comes to meet you. The best option is the one yasha suggested however it would be best to have a number of forces on board beforehand."

"In this time of uncertainty it would be best if I was present as well. No one outside our forces knows my exact role but it would be better to have someone level headed with control of an amount of forces present. Especially someone who is able to tell you any information on people carnifex has brought with him. So both of you know. I will not accept no as an answer to this. I am going to be present even if I have to hide my movements from every side." Tom's stance would harden as would his face giving very clear visuals he was not going to budge on this point.

[member="Beth Australis-Mantis"], [member="Alkor Centaris"], [member="Raiz Australis"]

RexyDiv.png

Kay-Larr

Kay looked to [member="Keira Verd"] as she spoke up first. She bowed her head to the woman. "Thank you for your support. I appreciate it very much."

As she was about to answer her question, [member="Yasha Mantis"] spoke up. Kay looked upon her niece, listening to her thoughts on what motives Carnifex could be using. But still she couldn't quite grasp it.

The offer to use the station was a good one, however she wasn't so sure that it really mattered where they went, if her past meeting was anything to go by.

Kay's jaw visibly clenched however at the suggestion of sacrificing some of the refugees. It was true as Yasha said, some bad people could try to slip through, only to cause more carnage. But she needed to be 100% certain that the innocents were allowed to pass.

Her eyes turned to [member="Tom Taff"] as he spoke up next. She nodded to his request. "Yes, have the Knights keep an eye on the Admiral. His Force use...surprised me." And as for him wanting to go no matter what, she wasn't so sure on that as she didn't yet know where they would be or who else would be there. Kay liked to have a choice instead of it being stripped from her. "Just hold off on being our shadow for a moment please, until everything is sorted out."

Oh boy did Kay want her tea right now. As tensions seemed to have lowered, she walked over to the side table after dropping the sword onto her desk and poured herself some of her favourite drink. And it wasn't until she took a grateful sip that she turned to face the others. "I did see the Sith Emperor recently. Nearly a week ago he came to this very office.
But not personally. Three droids entered and one emitted a holo of him. There he layed out his terms, at first wanting me to pay for the non-aggression pact with 15% of my resources and to continue to do so.
He also wanted every refugee crossing into my borders. I asked him what was to stop him from taking payment and just attacking anyways. That was when he told me that he kept his word, and to ask you about it, Yasha. But that wasn't enough for me, just in case he was playing you to get you to always take his side. 15% was also far too high. So we bartered back and forth. I got him down to 3% to be given as a donation, plus a favour from him of my choosing. But still...he wanted at least half of the refugees, claiming them to be nothing but a burden to me. I refused that option, so he requested a week's break, saying that I disappointed him and that he hoped that during that time, that I would learn."
She paused as she took another sip of her tea. "It just never occured to me that he'd steal from me and block some of my routes in the meantime. He is hurting my economy by slowing it down. But we are working on ways around it. Yet if we are to arrange this meeting, it must be done soon."

A jammer was produced, flicked on and tossed on the table. She nodded to [member="Keira Verd"], [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"], to [member="Tom Taff"] [member="Aedan Miles"] and [member="Alkor Centaris"], her champions and vode.

“I have been meeting with him privately, or in group settings since I was twelve. Although change is in the wind, I still do not believe he would do me harm… he…” The outside contingent out of the room, Mand’alor the Infernal hit the control on her gauntlet, which retracted the facia of her wolf-helm, and sent the wolf-head standard to her back. There now was Yasha Mantis, [member="Lady Kay"]’s niece.

Yasha crossed to the Panathan-dressed wet nurse and took [member="Adara Raxis"] into her arms, rocking her infant child.

“… he has plans for Adara.” Soft spoken words soaking through the room, Yasha’s pretty face was grim. “This does not leave this room. I recently returned from Bastion, visiting Fiolette to show her the baby, her little goddaughter… I met with Carnifex and… He acted so fast I didn’t realize what was happening.”

Pausing to kiss her daughter’s head, nuzzling her nose into Adara’s slumbering cheek, Yasha took a deep and long inhale. “It took him and his son Alvarex mere seconds to discern it. Adara held his finger in her hands, she stopped crying and… delighted in it. Kaine let her hold his finger, looking down soothingly, as a father looks at a child. Tamar was holding her, I was… I was a few feet back and before I knew what was happening, he took his glove off and showed me how badly Adara was craving the energies he had within himself.

His blood was black. Pitch. He promised to have the Empress Salara create some… I don’t know, tincture? Formula? Something to feed Adara’s craving need. To one day baptize her in the ruins of Dromund Kaas…” There in the safety of her Aunt’s office, Yasha allowed herself the rare opportunity to be the young mother she was. Her heart twitched in her chest, yet Yasha did not know why. Speaking the experience out loud, Yasha realized it lost the majesty of the moment, the purity of seeing Alvarex Zambrano cuddle the infant to his chest, speak in hushed, gentle tones to soothe the truly dark and abysmal power inside the child.

“…I have been Force Dead all my life. To me all who have the Force are simply and only what I see, Master, Apprentice, it makes no difference. Perhaps that is why I seem so easily brought to his borders, to me he is just the Emperor, just a man. There are sides to him I can never feel, for what I am, for the lack of what I once believed in my folly was mystic superstition. I survived environments which kill the greatest of warriors, and the most fervent of cowards alike. I know the Force exists, but I never took stock in all this…. Light, Dark, Witch business, this constant strife between two religious sects, or expressions or whatever it is the Jetii and Dar’Jetii believe. I was raised Mandalorian, in the time of the Cure… and while I do not understand what he did, or why half the population is scared witless of my little girl, for the first time in my life, I cannot discredit what I saw. What happened to Adara, and how healthy she looked. How hale and whole.

His blood soaked into her skin as if it was meant to be there, as if she were soil during the season’s first rain… We will go see Darth Carnifex, and we will not do so alone… we will have realistic goals, and we will not kneel… I truly believe there is something he wants from us he is loathe to kill us for… and I have to put my shoulder into that belief, and push forward.” Her words pushed from her larynx in hushed and steady tones, her accent betraying not a Mandalorian origin to her speech, but the Panathan accent she inherited from her mother, the deceased Aditya Mantis.

The child in her arms was indeed a flicker of the Dark itself… and yet that same child was coddled tenderly, soothed and delighted. Made warm, healthy, fed deeply by the very monsters who destroyed planetary populations on a whim.

“We will get you your treaty, Kay. Soon, as you have need. I believe we can do so without bloodshed of any kind… we simply have to lay out what we consider ‘acceptable terms’ and ensure that any refugees hiding their involvement with attacks are separated and detained for proper trial.” The face of the Infernal gazed down at her child. Her beautiful haran ad'ika. Acceptable terms… how could they define such things?

Was it only credits and refugees the Dark Lord wanted, or was there a far sweeter pill he would accept? What was one child for many?

Aedan sighed and carefuly but quickly spun the sword around holding the hilt out to [member="Lady Kay"] before he turned to look at those that spoke chuckling as he gestured calmly. He stopped as he saw what Yasha was doing his eyes widening as he looked at the child focusing he slowly nodded his head smiling softly as he looked at them all his eyes still a swirl of violet and crimson as his gaze hardened. "I agree with Mand'alor. If Emperor Carnifex was truly the monster you all say he is I would not stand before you today. He has held my life in his hands more times than I can count and yet I remain. He may be a Sith but that doesn't mean he is evil just like someone being a Jedi doesn't make them good." As he was speaking he spat the word Jedi darkly as he looked at them all his eyes gleamed savagely as he laughed and spread his arms lightly. "Honestly you are all worried about Sith and they about Jedi that they forget those in the middle. Dark Jedi are probably the scariest group out there I have studied the codes of both groups and those that the Dark Jedi follow. Truly the Dark Jedi are the ones who have the most flexible and open rules." His voice trailed off before he shock his head calmly his demeanor turning grim once more as he looked at Mand'alor. "I would like to join you in this meeting if things do go south I can buy you time."

[member="Tom Taff"] [member="Yasha Mantis"] [member="Keira Verd"] [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] [member="Alkor Centaris"]

Once the loudmouthed aruteii was gone, the tension slowly dissolved to more manageable levels. Perhaps not for [member="Lady Kay"], but to the Mandalorians, the only clear and present intention toward war had left the room. Mandalore came first, and her friends could enjoy the benefits of that second.

When [member="Keira Verd"] shot back at him, he let out a short burst of air from his nostrils, then reached up and unfastened his buy'ce with a click. He peeled away the helmet to release his mess of hair, soaked in perspiration. It was not abnormal for them to go for long stints without taking any piece of their beskar'gam off; despite this the helmet did get a bit warm despite the cooling systems engineered to prevent it. His deep blue gaze found that of his sister, and he replied evenly.

"Meg kaysh kariya bal meg kaysh dinui ke nu mhor at baatir," he began, in his own voice, slightly deeper than the monotone of his vocabulator. "Mhi baati par Manda'yaim, bal te Mando'ade. Anay ashi adate lise kyoyar."

"What they deserve and what they get are not our concern." "Our concern is for Mandalore, and the Mandalorians. All other people can rot."

He turned his gaze to [member="Yasha Mantis"] and the others, switching deftly back to Galactic Basic. "Frankly, our entire reason for being here is that Mand'alor feels a compulsion to her family. To you," he gestured toward Kay, "but respectfully, you are not family to me or mine," he told her, "even less than you, though, are the people who kneel to you. I am indifferent to whether or not Yasha or anyone else goes to speak to the Sith on your behalf, but I hope for the sake of your people it does not go beyond that."

He glanced past [member="Aedan Miles"], a man he had not spoken a word to since before he had been stripped of the Force. This would be the first time he saw the Force Dead Centaris without a helmet. His next words were for their Sole Ruler.

"I won't pretend to know what happened between you and Darth Carnifex, but I can tell you first-hand that he may be honorable, but he is far from benevolent." Alkor returned his arms to a folded position and spoke more quietly now. "I helped build that Empire. I know who's backs it broke to rise. I counted their numbers as I killed his enemies, but no amount was ever enough. He may treat you fairly while he needs you, but once you fall beyond usefulness to him-"

He gestured to Kay once more.

"You see what it means to defy the mighty Dark Lord right here and now. This meeting is a product of his "benevolence." Be careful not mistake his whims for friendship."

Alkor paused, then added, "but like I said," he looked back to Keira, "they pay well, and their credits are good for us. Bad for everyone else, but good for us."

Kay-Larr

Kay furrowed her brows as she listened to the tale that [member="Yasha Mantis"] spoke of her daughter. It was both curious and disturbing at the same time. Only rumours had reached her in regards to how Adara was born and the circumstances that had brought her back to life. But those were just rumours, told and retold over and over until it reached her ears. What parts were true? What parts were made up? She wasn't sure.

But it made sense. Carnifex just wanted whatever he thought Adara could be in the future. There was very little that she knew of the Sith ways, knowing only that they were mostly cruel. "So he's using you...for her..He hasn't killed me because doing so would enrage you and possibly take Adara out of his grasp. That's all that this is about. And as horrible as that is...it gives us leverage."

She had another sip of her tea, looking to [member="Aedan Miles"] as he spoke. Perhaps Carnifex had uses for him too. "I know well enough about the Dark Jedi." It was what [member="Veiere Arenais"] had become. That alone wasn't what caused his exile and their estrangement. It was the attack on Deneba at his hands that led to that. "But I understand your sentiments."

[member="Alkor Centaris"] spoke up, first in the Mando tongue and then in basic. Why they chose to hide some of their words from her, she wasn't certain, but it did make her feel more alienated and isolated in her own home. His final words made her wonder how quickly he'd go after her and her people if the Sith paid him enough to do it. That in itself was not a comforting thought.

Kay took another sip of her tea, pondering on whether or not to share some of her secrets, most especially to her niece. Some were better left unsaid, or said only in private. Still, she could open up a little. "My first encounter with Carnifex was after my abduction and torture by Prazutis. I was held for months, tortured in ways that I wish that I could forget, my mind attacked until the person that I was was no longer there. I was later brought back to Commenor and abandoned. Were it not for Veiere and a few others, we'd be in much rougher shape. Carnifex came shortly after my return, only to have a house built.
But it was never used, not in over a decade. No doubt the reasoning behind my abduction was no longer neccessary, or required."
She later had the house demolished. Why waste the property instead of putting it to good use?

"So as you can see, my views are tainted due to personal experience. Sith, Jedi, Dark Jedi...they are all the same to me.
They are people. Their actions define them, not who they serve."

But back to the matter at hand. "How soon shall we arrange this meeting? How much time do you need? One standard day?
Two?"

[member="Tom Taff"] [member="Keira Verd"] [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"]

As the Admiral left the tension in the room dissipated nearly immediately, as evidenced by those in attendance daring to remove their helmets. Keira was one of them, and she held her buy'ce under one arm, rolling her eyes and looking to her brother with a small smile, "Jivaor meg cuyir hibirar." Now he was preaching their ways to her as if she were a fledgling among their people as he'd once been, and it drew amusement and a swell of pride from her at how far he'd come. He'd certainly grown, filling the role of second in the clan as if he'd been built for it.

Her brother's final words caused her to shake her head, waving him off with a hand. "Udesii, vod'ika. We're here to help the queen, not frighten her." Though he had the penchant to be the voice of reason, he was just as capable of making rather off-color commentary that wasn't suited well for outsiders. She could appreciate his sentiment, but there was a time and place to discuss mercenary work, and this wasn't it. She returned his final look, raising an eyebrow and inclining her head in order to communicate that which she wouldn't say aloud: Marry one of them, and then get back to me on that.

When it came to the matter of time she could offer no estimate, only her own services, "Do you feel safe remaining here in the meantime, or would you rather a few of us stay behind as an extra security measure?"

"Look who's learning."

[member="Lady Kay"] | [member="Alkor Centaris"] | [member="Aedan Miles"] | [member="Yasha Mantis"] | [member="Tom Taff"] | [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"]

“The Zambranos are obsessed with increasing their genetic ties to the Dark Side of the Force. Adara is an anomaly of interest, born of Panathan blood, and strong in the energies they desire. Adara sweetens the connection between Mandalore and Bastion that Emperor Zambrano has fought to maintain since before the Undying took the so-called Liberator in war. Carnifex wants the Mandalorians on his side. He wants us to be a united front against the rest of the Galaxy.” Yasha dared not say the full truth she, and [member="Kaden Mantis"] alone knew: the Undying reentered the galaxy from Kaine Zambrano’s magics.

Yasha would keep that secret to the mass warrior’s grave which would claim her. She needed to be its’ keeper to sustain the Empire, and she would. “Yes, there are many entities in the Galaxy which require a fervent and watchful eye, [member="Aedan Miles"]. Most agreed from me.”

[member="Alkor Centaris"] spoke again, wise and passionate in his Mandalorian way. Yasha chewed on the Mando’a filtered in the air. “Commenor cuyir cuun kovid economic burc'ya. Val loss cuyir Mhor. Te ca'nara bic Ru'kel hiibir at mar'eyir evaar'la routes cuyir ca'nara Ni vaabir not copad at go'naasir.”

Commenor is our strongest economic partner. Their loss is ours. The time it would take to find new routes is time I do not want to waste.

Pursing her lips, Yasha looked across the room, still hugging her child. “We shall require caution to be our cloaks. Commenor paid for our terraforming efforts, Centaris. The planet of Manda’yaim flourishes now, because of the generosity of both [member="Lady Kay"] and the people of Commenor, who all chipped in and helped us in our time of need. Our two strongest supporters have been the Sith Empire, and Commenor.”

Yasha winced at Kay’s story of torture and salvation. She too had layers, even the High Queen of Commenor had more to her than first glance. It must have been family tradition. Rocking her child, Yasha hummed as she paced, little Adara cuddled up safe and sound. She looked at [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"], her beautiful adopted daughter. The sunlight Beth brought into everyone’s lives was far greater than any woe which could befall the girl.

“The Wolf Fang armada is remaining in Commenor’s space, and I would feel better knowing ba’vodu was protected, [member="Keira Verd"]. If anything else, it is a show of solidarity. I can set up the meeting with Kaine’s assistants now, I don’t think it would take more than a day or two to receive an appropriate audience… besides… if I may be selfish for a moment, it would do Beth and Adara a world of good to spend time with their Great-Aunt.

We enter negotiations a united front. Now, shall we speak appropriate terms? The resurrection of your trade flows will handle the losses produced by these unfortunate days, a bargain with the Sith will also increase the access to trade lanes between you and Bastion. Think of it as a potential tariff, and not Carnifex dipping into your box. The key to this is the treatment of refugees. You’re taking people in out of the goodness of your heart, Kay and it does you credit…

… but not when some of those refugees are causing acts of sabotage and war against the largest Empire in the known Galaxy. So. Where are your lines? What are you prepared to do?”

"Then we repay what debt we owe," Alkor replied to the Mando'a in a way that steered them back to the current conversation, which had been the primary goal of [member="Yasha Mantis"] when she interjected in the two Verd's side conversation. "Mandos repay their debts. We don't need to owe anything to anyone."

He glanced to Yasha directly and stated, "I think that you acting as an arbitrator between Carnifex and Commenor would be a fair trade in that respect." They had leverage to get out from the large sum hanging over their heads by diffusing this situation, so why not use it?

He would keep the rest of his opinions to himself for now, because they were better suited for the inner sanctum of Mand'alor herself. These were dangerous waters to tread, and if anything he had to say could be of use to her- or more accurately, to the people of Mandalore- then he would offer it freely.

"I've been paid as a long term contractor elsewhere, so I have to be off soon, but we can finish here before I go."

It wouldn't hurt to wait. They were headed in relatively the same direction. He would travel with the Mandalorian Host as far as Bastion, then leave them to join with the people who had hired him for the job. The drums of war were resounding in the northeastern reaches of the Galaxy, and he stood to profit from it. His gain was their collective gain.

Yasha continued to speak of terms, so Alkor listened, and he heard nothing he particularly disliked. So long as it never came to anything between the Sith and the Mando'ade, he was fine with it.

Aedan looked at Alkor and glared absently before speaking bluntly in Mando'a to him. "You abandoned me in the CIS you will not get a drop of booze from me for awhile old friend. I will give you a ride a bit farther than bastion I need to meet my fleets at Metatron for the same purpose as you I believe." He turned back to the conversation at hand pulling a flask out of his pocket and taking a sip from it as he almost absently listened his eyes still a swirl of violet and crimson as he listened absently. His mind already thrown into the coming fight as with Alkor the drums of war were summoning him once more and he desired to bask in the chaos that it was. He smirked as he looked down at his datapad receiving another update as to the status of his forces. All fleets had arrived and were in the process of rearming and refueling.

He looked up and coughed lightly glancing between Yasha and Kay. "So meeting with the Sith Emperor in two days? Who wants to get drunk until than?" He grinned lightly as he leaned back in his chair comfortably.

[member="Alkor Centaris"] [member="Yasha Mantis"] [member="Keira Verd"] [member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Kay gave [member="Keira Verd"] a small smile. "I don't believe that the Sith would dare to go for a direct attack, which is why they are choosing to act outside of our borders. But I appreciate the extra security all the same." The Sith were unpredictable. That much she knew. And their actions were just as irrational.

She turned to [member="Yasha Mantis"] while she spoke. The very idea of having Adara used for her bloodline and power was just awful to think about. It was as though her destiny was being chosen before she could take her first steps. Had they already chosen who she would marry too? Or had they not gone that far ahead yet? Kay valued freedom of choice, though she understood that there were times when such freedoms were not available.

Kay sipped her tea, her eyes drawn to [member="Alkor Centaris"] . The man seemed to think that this was some kind of business matter. Her trust in him shrank with every sentence. He'd be one to watch out for, most especially if tensions rose even further. She wasn't of his people, and she knew that. Her adoption into Clan Raxis a long time ago meant nothing as she did little to learn of the Mandalorian culture. She didn't even know the language. So it was easy to believe that he'd raise arms against her if he was paid to do so.

She turned to Yasha again. "A trade route to Bastion? I suppose that that could work. The First Order might utilize that the most. And as for the refugees....I could have my people vet them first before they are given asylum. If Carnifex has evidence against them, then I'd want to see it and judge from there. I don't trust him to handle the vetting as he's already done a poor job of that.
The ones tgat are more of a threat to the Sith stay out of my borders, for they despise our neutrality and unwillingness to fight in their battles. In truth, some see us as an enemy and will strike when they find a good excuse to do so."

She looked to [member="Aedan Miles"] and smirked a little. "Be my guest. We have plenty of drinks for you to choose from and plenty of bars for you to occupy. Just try to keep out of trouble." Kay knew very well of what a bit too much booze can do to a Mandalorian. Sonetimes it was funny, but other times it was vicious.

Mand’alor the Infernal stood in silent repose, chewing upon the words her councillors and [member="Lady Kay"] spoke. For [member="Alkor Centaris"] this was strictly a levelling of the scales, as many dealings with aruetii were for a Mandalorian. While Lady Kay did not consider herself Mandalorian, the bond she had with Clan Raxis was enough for Yasha to allow herself an emotional attachment to the situation, which rightfully spoken, should have been only one of business.

“When I was a child in the Netherworld, I spent every waking second in combat for my life. I grew in the Blood Plains, where crimson rained from the dour sky, and rivers of scarlet poured down crags and plateaus. If it had joints and blood and its’ ribcage moved to indicate breath, it could be defeated. Buy us precious seconds to make the next hiding point. There were creatures the size of a toddler’s shoe, and mammoth beasts which made mountains appear as a collection of pebbles. The apparent strength of the hellspawn mattered…” Yasha shrugged, settling her infant daughter into Kay’s arms. “… as little as the wrapper on a ration bar. Mama and I fought monstrous mountains, and insects the size of a freckle.

I slew Jetii and dar’Jetii alike in the Field of Blades, with nothing to me but a broken spearhead, later my beskar'gam, katar and the strength of will to realize the truth.

I am Mando’ad. And I am Panathan. I am the Apex Predator of whatever environment I enter, just as all Children of Manda are gifted with such potential.

This knowledge formed my every breath and forged my limbs and teeth into the tools to win my life, without the kiss of death brushing my brow. I did not run full tilt into every battle head on. I did not attack constantly, as if I was some… insecure minion of a distant master, desperate to prove my worth.”

The Infernal continued to walk around the office, her face hard as the beskar helm she wore the vast majority of the time. This was not the Yasha Kay knew as her niece, but the brisk and commanding survivalist, who stood when none remained and sat upon the Death Watch’s throne.

The last Mand’alor to do so upon the original. The throne, like many before and in future, was dust.

“There is a distinction between fear, intimidation and respect. This is a concept of which your… [member="Anweald Bermann"] remains woefully ignorant. He sees the Sith as a target, a war to be fought and order, or glory, or some pathetic form of righteousness restored. Any who take another angle at the beast and speak of what they see are afraid, intimidated. Only he and his desire for war is right and brave. If that is an indication of your navy’s strategic commanders, your people will never make it out of conflict alive. They will march boldly, proudly past the Palace and into shining ships polished by their pride, and return piecemeal, or broken, or scattered to atomic particles in the vacuum of space.

The Confederacy loathes Cato Nemoidia, the Silvers are encroaching on your territory, the First Order are the Sith Empire's strongest allies, the Galactic Empire and Galactic Alliance are gone. Who is left? Fel? The Remnant? The Coalition? You have no choice and no option but to sue for peace, Kay.

I cannot fear one, who is apex predator of his own climate. I can watch him in the respect one predator gives another, when they know any battle between them would lead the Galaxy to a meat grinder, a colossal bang and dust.

Do vet your refugees. Do not take so many so quickly and visibly. If any refugees living in Commenor’s reaches did mount an attack against the Sith, the apex predator of Bastion would pounce unforgiving upon your collective heads to protect his own. Do not allow yourself to become an unwitting accomplice in a war. He has already destroyed the Free World Coalition and the Galactic Alliance… I can give you a list of names of the Galactic Alliance military commanders who committed the atrocities against us at Myrkr. They have not paid the price for killing my citizens.

My Braxanile Run goes from Bandomeer to Bastion. We can work between the Hydian Way and the Braxanile Run to create the trade route. It will give you access to more copious and wealthy markets. That alone is compensation for the tariffs and under dealings of the Emperor. As for the cost of blood? Let us first get you out of this predicament and then reevaluate.”

Smiling wickedly at [member="Aedan Miles"], Yasha nodded. “Drink up, all! You are in Commenor, where the wine is sweet and the company is a delight.

The 5th is watching over the Palace and the Wolf’s Armada is gazing to the space beyond. Go. Go! We know our business for now, and all else will wait until I hear from Carnifex. Beth, why don’t you get some tea and we can spend some time with your Aunt and your sister?” Yasha reached for [member="Beth Australis-Mantis"]’ hand and nodded the Mandalorians off to their tasks of protection and security for the Commenor Palace.

[member="Keira Verd"] [member="Tom Taff"] and the others were all valuable and loyal companions with valid points made. Yet, now Yasha wished to speak alone with her Aunt. Just for one moment, could the Infernal have her family spend time without the worries of the universe on their shoulders?

Kay-Larr

Kay took hold of Adara as [member="Yasha Mantis"] unexpectedly put her in her arms. She looked down to her grand-niece's eyes, stroking her hair with her free hand while Yasha spoke of the rough life that she was forced into during her time in the Netherworld. Such a thing was beyond belief, and yet here they were. Those experiences brought her to this moment, and brought the little one in her arms. Was Adara really that dark? Was there no spark of light within her? Right now Kay couldn't check as her secret was still kept close. All that she could do was see what kind of a look was returned to her.

But that was part and parcel with motherhood. One can never guess the future.

Her attention turned to Yasha as she spoke of Commenor's military. "I employ people with a wide variety of opinions, Force abilities and skills. I like to look at a problem through a variety of angles and choose the better course of action. His views are not my own and not how our forces operate. We have survived this long without jumping to conclusions. So I'm not about to start that now."

Kay clenched her jaw as Yasha then pointed out how isolated her system was. Of course she was used to hearing about it from both sides, each accusing the other of preparing to attack. Though the Galactic Empire was their most willing and strongest support. The fact that they were gone now disheartened her.

Truth was that despite the support of some of the Mandalorians, she knew that her people would be on their own in case of conflict. They always were. And so they had put much effort decades ago into adding to the network of deep underground tunnels beneath the cities and providing safe places for her people to hide in case of bombardment. It worked well during the first crusades and will do so again.

She hated being told that she had no choice or option. There was always a choice. And she was not going to let anyone back her into a corner. Not anymore.

Kay nodded though in response to her suggestions. "The list of names will be helpful, yet I'll want to see the evidence as well.
Although there have been no soldiers passing through that I'm aware of. And it isn't soldiers that are being taken from us, but everyone, including little children. What harm could they have done that would send the Sith Emperor after them?"
But it didn't really matter anyways. He took whatever he wanted from whomever he wanted. She wasn't entirely confident that he wouldn't find some way to get whatever he wanted through some loophole in the treaty that he'd find and exploit. His actions already proved that.

She took a seat in one of her comfy chairs, cradling Adara in her arms. "Thank you again for your help. Let's just hope that it all runs smoothly."

[member="Beth Australis-Mantis"] [member="Keira Verd"] [member="Aedan Miles"] [member="Alkor Centaris"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom