Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Come on Over for Dinner [First Order & Commonwealth]

Horus gave a sidelong glance as the personal detail broke rank and began to find their seats. His focus snapped around to Gunther as his voice boomed in proximity. Commonwealth personnel reacted with lightning speeds, snapping a crisp salute and standing at attention. Horus wasn't interested in their discipline, he knew his forces well. The Commonwealth broke down men and women and built them back up, better and stronger. Rather he was more interested in the First Order personnel around them.

One tried not to chuckle, another smiled in amusement. Then the man the Commonwealth troops had been speaking too left and disappeared quite quickly, submerged in the flow of the crowd. Something as little as that could tell him what he wanted to know about the First Orders discipline. While the man may not have been a soldier, even civilians in the Commonwealth took such things quite seriously. Then again, the Commonwealth lived and died for the military, it was a way of life back home. They were raised soldiers.

"At ease," Horus said with a comforting voice, at times he could speak with a tone as endearing as ones softly spoken grandfather, then in the heat of battle he could as swiftly and fluently change into a war dog, barking orders across the command deck of a capital ship. It came natural to Horus, perhaps it was what had won the affection of the Commonwealth for him. He stepped forward, placed a hand on Starkos' shoulder and gave a short squeeze, it was a quiet nod of good work,and brushed past her and Jacen. By the time he arrived he craned his neck to peer at his table, a bottle of wine awaited him. Ah, so Zee did get it, Horus mused to himself, no harm in another.

[member="Gunther Creed"] | [member="Sasha Starkos"] | [member="Jacen Konshu"]

skin, bone, and arrogance
Natasi looked up from her conversation with [member="Fiolette Yvarro"] and cleared her throat. "Balance, is that the time? I'd better get started."

She approached the dais and the band came to a flourishing stop. Natasi looked across the room as the guests took their seats and waited until most had done so before she activated the microphone and leaned forward to speak. "Good evening, everyone. Thank you all so much for being here. Tonight we gather to honor the men and women who fought during the Omega Crisis, to celebrate their achievements in an evening of recognition and pleasantry. I know what you all must be thinking -- the Omega Crisis was a military conflict, what is she doing up there? Have no fear, you'll all hear from your beloved Supreme Commander very soon," said Natasi, looking down at where [member="Ludolf Vaas"] sat with [member="Marzena Choi"] as there was applause at the invocation of Vaas' title. Her voice said carnevale! while here eyes said holocaust. Turning her attention back to the crowd, she said: "But before I turn the proceedings over to our esteemed Supreme Commander, I would like to recognize the leaders of the Commonwealth, whose bravery and quick action in the battle over Castamere helped to save the lives of dozens, if not hundreds of First Order forces during that deadly battle. Admiral [member="Horus"] -- the First Order thanks you. Everyone, please stand, and raise a glass, and drink a toast to the health of the Commonwealth forces. Your actions will not soon be forgotten by myself, the Supreme Leader, or the families of the men and women you risked your lives to rescue."

When the toast had been drunk, Natasi held up a large, platinum statuette of the First Order symbol, mounted to a black marble base, engraved with the words Presented With Thanks From a Grateful Nation, For Services to Supreme Leader Sieger Ren. "Please accept this token of our gratitude for your assistance in a most difficult time," she said to [member="Horus"], and two members of the diplomatic security service came to pick up the award and present it to Horus at his seat.

Natasi turned back to the rest of the crowd, smiling. "Please, be seated. We have been mourning our lost and our injured -- among them, two of my own relations, and countless soldiers, sailors, and pilots, some of whom I know and some who I would very much like to know -- for the last few weeks. I hope that, tonight, we can introduce a little levity into the proceedings and truly celebrate the victors of the battles on and over Castemere -- not the self-proclaimed victors, who spent their times dilly-dallying on the sidelines, waiting for their moment to strike, but you; the men and women who put everything on the line, who rushed selflessly into battle to ensure a safer galaxy, not just for the First Order and its children, but for all peoples. What were, for the Galactic Alliance, acts of extraordinary courage, were for the First Order business as usual. You have always had the strength, the perseverance, and the bravery to risk your lives, every day, for the greater good of the galaxy. When the Supreme Leader calls, you answer. When the enemies of peace and order strike, you strike back -- harder, faster, stronger. When the fires burn too hot for the ordinary man, there you are. And even if we in the civilian side of things don't say it enough, know that we appreciate it, even without fancy dinners and special awards."

She paused and gripped the sides of the podium. "The Omega Crisis was a stressful time for the galaxy, to be sure, but some portions were more stressful for different people than others -- for instance, for those calling themselves defenders of justice and light in the galaxy, the stress came when they had to explain why the villain of their fairy story did more to damage and destroy the Rogue Sith forces than they. I don't think that's how the fairy tale is supposed to go -- maybe they've got it wrong," she said with a chuckle, echoed by some int he audience across the room. "For others, the stress came when they seemed to lose interest in fighting the enemy partway through the battle -- the fleeting equivalent of taking one's holoball and going home." Another round of murmuring laughter.

Natasi smiled into the crowd, spotting the General for the Starfighters, General Breyer, near the front of the crowd. "One of the keys to our success during the Omega Crisis was our Starfighter Corps, so I would like to give a special recognition to the man responsible for motivating, training, and inspiring our starfighter pilots. And I see that General Breyer is here as well. Colonel [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"] is here -- for the moment, at least. Colonel, I hope you will stay to accept your award and not leave chasing after the next one." This drew a particular amused reaction from the starfighter contingent, except perhaps from General Breyer, who glowered at Natasi from his seat near Supreme Commander Vaas.

"There is one man whose newly-acquired grey hairs haven't yet been addressed. Supreme Commander Vaas." The military men and women immediately cheered, and Natasi added in a few slow claps with her gloved hands before resuming her speech. "I can't help but feel particularly responsible for his stress during the Omega Crisis," Natasi said. "It is difficult to know what was more stressful for my friend Ludolf Vaas, the fact that a woman was in command of one of the First Order's major battlegroups -- or that this woman also happened to be a paper-clip-counting, paper-pushing, memorandum-drafting member of the government," Natasi said self-deprecatingly, a humorous smile firmly planted on her face. The crowd tittered. "Can you imagine the horror? It is a wonder the Rogue Sith army isn't goose-stepping through Avalonia this very evening." More laughter, and Natasi gave the group an indulgent smile. "But I digress. In all seriousness, you are to be congratulated for your victory in the face of overwhelming odds. They had the numbers. They had the momentum. They had knowledge of the terrain. They had a superweapon. But they didn't have what we have -- and that's all of you, the bravest and best armed forces in the galaxy. Congratulations on a job well done."

She stood back from the podium, indicating that her remarks were over, and applauded. When the applause had ended, Natasi stepped forward again. "And now, it gives me great pleasure to introduce the man you've all been waiting for, your leader, Supreme Commander [member="Ludolf Vaas"]!" As Natasi surrendered the podium, the applause was louder for Vaas than it had been for Natasi. Perhaps engaging in the fleet battle had really changed no one's perception of her, but it didn't bother her now. She took her notes off the podium and took the steps down to the main floor, weaving between the tables towards the door. She was in the turbolift before Vaas would have a chance to begin his remarks. As much as she would have wanted to stay, the Supreme Leader's recent pronouncements on government command of the armed forces had felt like a deliberate snub. Still, the Supreme Leader's pronouncements were to be obeyed without question, so now Natasi was headed back to her office to finalize steps to turn over her one-time flagship to the regular naval establishment. No doubt it would be provided for her use when she called for it, but it would never again be under her command, and that was a wrench.

Still, life would go on as it always had. Natasi Fortan had an empire to -- well... administrate.

Fiolette Fortan

F
Fiolette watched as her niece crossed the room to begin the ceremonies. Her hand rested along her cane and the older woman felt the weight of her age as her eyes surveyed the room. Her daughter moved a little closer, reminding Fiolette that she was not alone. She listened as her niece spoke to the crowd, such charisma. The old Admiral thought to herself as she sat in her dress uniform, and for the moment all she could think of were the parting words she'd given to Natasi and the words she had expressed for Lucy who sat at her side this very evening.

Her attention like many others in the attendence turned toward Lord Admiral Horus of the Commonwealth. It had been years since she had seen such humanity, she clapped along with the crowd. Clapping sounded like the cracking of the Sloane, her daughter's hand on hers kept her at ease. Fiolette looked back and gave Lucy a reassuring smile. The Admiral would get through this, without a doubt, and as she turned in her seat she managed to find [member="Tanomas Graf"] and gave her comrade a knowing smile and gestured to the now empty seat beside her.

Admiral Yvarro scoffed at the idea that her niece should be 'benched,' just because she was the Grand Moff. Natasi had displayed great courage and tremendous leadership on the field of battle. Grand Moff Fortan has most certainly earned the respect of the Navy. Natasi then spoke of courage, and all the old Admiral could do was to look around the room at the men and women present here today. Most of whom had been there at Castameer itself, some had not, she found [member="Carlyle Rausgeber"], and gave him a nod as well.

Their Grand Moff spoke truth, the heroes of the Galaxy would have to explain how it was that the First Order. The villains of this world had somehow come through and gave the Rogue Sith equal parts damage and destruction as they had given to the rest of the Galaxy. The Mandalorian Fleet buggered off in haste and had left their brethern to deal with the Rogue Sith Fleet, and the grand Galactic Alliance failed to put up the numbers that one might expect from them.

Instead, it had been the work of the First Order's Navy, Starfighter Corps, Army and the Knights of Ren who had worked so perilously to ensure a safer galaxy for all the worlds in it. Fiolette could chuckle with the rest at the holoball mention, now anyway. Now that she had been given the full brief of the battle, she commended the then Captain Aileen Grant for her courage, posthumously.

[member="Natasi Fortan"] went into a round of self-deprecating humor and the crowd seemed to be into it. Although Fiolette did not enjoy it, she smiled but that was about it, Lucy sighed, quite audibly. Those in the Navy knew that the Grand Moff's presence was tremendous like a Queen leading her Armada so was the Grand Moff leading her Navy against a terrible foe. She watched as her niece departed the room and with some haste she might add. Something would have to be done about this, she looked to Graf and Rausgeber again with a look.

The old Admiral would not let this go without a fight, but for now she gave a smile and applauded the Supreme Commander.

First Order Planetary Defense Forces
Garett look discontentedly at the invitation he received for the dinner for the survivors of the Omega Crisis, he didn't want to go but he figured he would just walk in and see then leave. Not even getting into his Dress uniform he left his room in his BDUs he wears inside his walker. To him this was something he wasn't comfortable with nor did he like even getting an invitation to come. He took him time walking down to the dining hall, every inch of he being didn't want this, he kept thinking to himself what a perfect time to start drinking, but he could never bring himself to that as alcohol wasn't something he enjoyed. As he drew closer and closer to the dining hall he could start to hear the commotion of the party which made him think he slowed down but in reality he never changed his pace.
Garett walked up to the door, opened it stepped into the room, stayed close to the ends and the door. He surveyed the room, he could see one familiar face, that being the officer he reported to on Tel'erra, but that was all he could recognize. He didn't leave the corner he was in, he felt a wave of anger and disgust rush over him, the disgust was mainly at himself, and the anger was more at the Academy Command for not finishing his outprocessing sooner. He couldn't help feel like he didn't deserve to be here. And with that though he mad his way to the door, hoping no one would see him.

Progflaw99

He couldn't argue with that, the Grand Moff did command a sense of regalia, never guilty of throwing an event that was under prepared or decorated. The corner of Rolf's lips twitched slightly at the thought. He was happy to see faces he recognized, pleased that so many of the people known to him had made it back alive through the Omega Conflict. He'd lost a few friends from his younger days, troopers he'd gone through basic training with and he'd had a beer in their name but it stung just a little bit, the fact he hadn't been there. Truth be told it was likely he himself would have ended up dead during the conflict but that thought did little to ease his irritation.

"I can relate on that front. I was out of commission at the time of the conflict, caught a bad case of pneumonia about a week before the conflict, they wouldn't let me deploy." He knocked back what liquid remained in his glass, setting it on a nearby tray as it went past.

Ah the ball. He had been there, though a Sergeant at the time. In fact, if he'd remembered correctly, that's where he'd met the FIMS Major he ran into on Tel'erra again now that he was also a Major. It was quite the event, the appreciation ball. Held shortly after the events on Zarnathea, Rolf had been pleasantly intoxicated. That place was a rat-trap. At least comparatively to everywhere else the First Order had already begun to imperialize.

"Ah, the ball yes. I remember a few bits and pieces, but if my memory serves I'd drank quite my share in Corellian Whiskey. Which wasn't exactly cheap."

Truthfully he'd spent quite the sum on it, but it had been good whiskey. He'd taken the remainder of the bottle back home for himself and presently was hidden among his possessions back at the garrison. Scanning the crowds as they started to move towards their seats, his eyes caught movement near the corner of the room. It caught him by surprise really, the anger welling up inside his chest. Perhaps the alcohol had loosened him up a bit. There he saw a trooper in BDU's. Rolf knew without looking that the invitation had specified dress attire, not the daily work uniform and yet this one trooper had the audacity to show up in field attire. Clenching his fists tightly he curtly excused himself.

"Excuse me for a moment, terribly sorry. There seems to be a slight problem that I must attend to."

Why none of the other officers had yet corrected the young soldier he had no idea but Rolf was not about to let that slide. Not only was the event an awards ceremony but there were foreign members of the Commonwealth's military forces in attendance. Wearing the field dress to the event was not only disrespectful but could be seen as a slight by the foreigners. Rolf's booted feet took him swiftly across the floor, long sweeping strides taking him through the people shuffling to their seats towards the soldier. He appeared to be looking around aimlessly; he wouldn't be for much longer.

A sharp tone raised just above talking level came forth as Rolf addressed the trooper in question.

"Trooper, stand fast!" he said as he saw the man turn as if to leave.

BDU uniform? At a formal event? He couldn't let that stand. Perhaps if handled now, no other officers would step in. If that were to happen, there wasn't much Rolf would be able to do.

[member="Valessia Brentioch"] | [member="Garett Van"]

First Order Planetary Defense Forces
Garett sighed at the fact someone had to notice him, and above all that someone was the major he worked with on Tel'erra. He thought to say "Yes sir, I know I'm not in my dress uniform, but I never intended to stay, I just popped in to see what was up." He wanted to go unseen and just wanted to see what was up and why of anyone he was invited to this thing that he didn't feel the right to be invited to. He knew why he was because he was a member of the Army and well most officers should show up for award ceremonies, but at the same time he was only a junior officer, and thus it wasn't "required" so why the invitation why all the trouble, and now right when he was about to leave why take notice then. On top of it Garett never really liked his dress uniform, he felt it to be to pompous for him, he was a soldier and a soldier he would stay no matter his rank, he felt at home with his men like the great general who led the fight on Hoth, which he didn't know the name of. He was that kind of officer not a pompous Admiral like some of the Imperial Navy Admirals were back in the time of the Galactic Empire. So to him he felt at home in BDUs no matter the occasion.
"Yes sir?!" in an almost hostile tone, trying to make sure he could get out of there sooner rather than later.
[member="Rolf Amsel"]

Progflaw99

Lilith smirked at Pierce's comment. It was quite ghastly, she had to admit. Politely she nodded as he spoke, truthfully she had a limited frame of reference when it came to starships but she had seen a few air shows and could only imagine what these elite pilots of the First Order could do behind the stick of a TIE fighter. A snarky thought popped into her head about exactly what it was that the pilots could do behind the stick of a TIE but she kept that to herself. Letting Pierce lead the way, she followed in his wake.

*Not a bad view from back here either.* she mused. The uniforms were certainly cut to fit.

Putting on a smile as they approached the couple of [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"] and [member="Sioux Chambers"], Lilith gracefully handed Pierce his glass, extending her now free hand.

"It's lovely to meet you both." she said, looking first to Roderik. "Pierce here has told me so much about you, from the sounds of it he's got quite the guardian angel watching over him in you." She paused, now offering a hand to Sioux. "It's wonderful to meet you as well Ms. Chambers, Pierce has only had great things to say about you."

Dancing in snowshoes? That sounded like quite the undertaking. A wry smirk crossed her features as she tried to imagine how that would look. She let out a short laugh, smiling before she responded.

"Oh really now? Well, that certainly can't go unanswered now can it?"

She took a brief sip of her wine, raising an eyebrow. Seating would be good, it seemed as if most of the people were not starting to get seated and she didn't want to be one of those people that took an inordinate amount of time to get seated. Nodding in agreement she followed as they made their way out of the lobby and into the seating area. It was then that another First Order TIE pilot, identifiable by her uniform, approached. Behind her were... She felt a slight twinge of fear as they approached. Were these the Knights of Ren? She had a lot of questions but forced them back down, this was not the time or the place. She knew without a doubt they would be able to sense that she was Force Sensitive but secretly hoped they wouldn't bring anything up. It was one of her guilty pleasures, learning about the Force. She kept it apart from her daily life, treating it as a forbidden hobby more than anything else.

Lilith nodded in greeting to the Knights, smiling. As the group discussed seats they moved forward, shuffling into seating so that they could all be seated together. Lilith watched with anticipation as the event began to unfold in earnest.

[member="Pierce Fortan III"] | [member="Wolf"] | [member="Samka Derith"]​

Progflaw99

Nils shifted in his seat, fighting the urge to reach up and scratch his neck. There had been an incessant itch at the back of his neck since putting on his uniform earlier in the evening and now that the Grand Moff was addressing everyone it was acting up on overdrive. As the Grand Moff commented on their friend and fellow pilot's antics they all gave a hearty laugh. [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"] had a tenacious personality and his antics during the Omega Conflict had been quite the talk of the town, defying orders to race to the defense of his pilots. It was admirable and in the final death throes of the Omega Weapon the man had even saved Nils' life. It was quite a harrowing time and part of him was glad it was over, the other part wondered when they'd have another chance to engage once more in the opera that was starfighter combat.

As the speech continued his eyes scanned the faces of the crowd, seeing [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"] who seemed to be sitting with [member="Sioux Chambers"] and [member="Pierce Fortan III"]. Along with them was an unfamiliar face, a young woman at Pierce's side. A smirk made an appearance across Nils' features. Pierce that ol' devil. Nils wasn't sure he'd see Pierce with any one woman for more than the time it took to hold another social event but he had seemed different after his near death experience in the space surrounding Castameer. He'd seemed... More serious. Oh sure, he was his old self, cracking jokes and the same boyish charm he'd always had but there was something different, Nils just couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Nils had also noticed the strange uniforms breaking up the crowd. Commonwealth. Most of them wore what he assumed to be the Naval dress uniform but there were a few that reminded him of their own army corps. He had yet to meet any of them, perhaps once the formalities were over, he'd have some time to mingle a bit. Returning his attention to the ceremony at hand, he watched and listened intently. Surely he'd know a few of the people getting awards this evening and he would be glad to congratulate them.

[member="Sasha Starkos"] | [member="Jacen Konshu"] | [member="Zee"]

Jaster looked as Grand Moff [member="Natasi Fortan"] walked to her podium. He was still next to his seat that was located near the Moff as she spoke, he only stood with the rest of the Governors that were invited and his boss, Prefect of Zena Sector. His robotic armor stood out as he stood next to the grey uniformed bureaucrats. They stood and raised their glasses as the Moff spoke about the soldiers that were hurt or killed during the Conflict that brought on this award ceremony. Jaster did the same even though he would not be able to drink the contents.

The speech made by the Moff was very nice and many of the civil servants would do there best to get on the Grand Moffs good side. They all wanted to increase their standing within the Government. Jaster was somewhat the same, but for a different reason. He only nodded as the speech was coming to an end, then placing his glass back on the table. He stayed stood as the Supreme Commander would come and have his speech.

Progflaw99

Stepping in close to the soldier he grabbed him by the arm.

"Come with me." Rolf uttered under his breath.

Guiding the young officer to the side of the room, away from prying eyes, he spun him around. At first he had half a mind to lay into the trooper, practically flaying him alive for his deviation but as he looked back over his shoulder at where he had left [member="Valessia Brentioch"] standing, he felt a twinge of guilt. Perhaps he had gotten more enraged than was warranted at the lack of discipline shown by the trooper, the lack of formality. Turning back to the junior officer he sternly spoke to the man. He did recognize him, the face familiar but the name escaping him. Probably for the better.

"I'm going to tell you this once, and you're lucky it was me who caught you. Don't let me catch you out of proper uniform again, or else this will go straight to your commanding officer. You understand me trooper?"

Releasing his firm grip on the man's upper arm he took a step back, adjusting his uniform.

"Now go."

Dismissing the man, he turned on his heel. He needed to get seated before the address started. Catching up with [member="Valessia Brentioch"] he apologized.

"Sorry about that, care to join me for the address?" Rolf motioned towards a pair of empty seats. "Or did you have plans?"

Pending the woman's decision, he was interested in listening to the address. Since he was unable to be a part of the action during the Omega Crisis, he wanted to show solidarity with those who had and give them their just due. Hopefully it was going to be a great ceremony, but he really didn't doubt it. On the way to their seats, he grabbed another glass of whiskey, just to be sure he didn't run out.

[member="Garett Van"]

Valessia Brentioch

V
Valessia patiently waited watching as Rolf departed and then keeing her attention to the front. She listened to Grand Moff Natasi Fortan begin to speak, keeping her attention away from Major Amsel as much as possible. Although she frowned thinking on what he had said, she specifically ordered barkeeps to not charge members of military. She'd have to go through the ball's invoices, expenses and such again and see about the bar specifically.

When Major Amsel returned she was grateful and gave him a reassuring smile as she answered, "I'd love to join you, and no I have no other plans." At all actually, she decided on the banquet last minute and after that she had no plans. "Did you have any plans after the address, or rather, the banquet?" She whispers to Major Amsel, Valessia's forward nature brings itself about she looks at the flute of bubbly in her hand and then brings it to her lips. "I happen to know a few places around Avalonia, if you're interested in a private dinner."

[member="Rolf Amsel"]

A sly grin crossing her face, Sam clenched her fist in front of [member="Wolf"], her eyes flashing with the thrill of an upcoming duel. "You may regret that offer but I'll happily take you up on it. I'll even take it easy on you too, I'd hate to put back in that chair after you've only just got out!"

Following [member="Sara Lee Jones"]' introduction, Sam half curtsied to each of [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"] [member="Pierce Fortan III"] and [member="Sioux Chambers"] in turn, also exchanging a friendly smile with [member="Lilith Sedarri"], feeling an unexpected flash of Force Sensitivity from the woman. Still she refocused on the two pilots "A pleasure to meet our brave fighter pilots, our skies are safe because of you."

The topic had moved along to seating, Samka was quite happy to sit wherever but followed the little group down through to the tables as the band began to fade. Immediately Sam missed the music, it made the murmurs and shuffles of the crowd tolerable background noise. Sam began to drum her fingers on the table however she perked to attention once the Grand Moff, [member="Natasi Fortan"] began to give her speech. She was en elegant public speaker and the speech was heart warming to Sam. She knew it was mostly fluff for the armed forces but it was also true. Nobody had shied from their duty that day, herself included, and they, the First Order, had done more than anyone else to save the galaxy. So when the speech was done, Sam applauded with a genuine smile on her face.

Perusing the menu, Ludolf offered [member="Marzena Choi"] a smile. "Everything," He answered her plainly, with a jovial smirk on his face. Privately, he squeezed Marzena's leg lightly underneath the table. For the moment, the two of them enjoyed a small moment together by themselves at their table, leaving everything that was going on around them behind. Then, [member="Natasi Fortan"] took the podium and began to commence with the evening's proceedings, causing Ludolf to snap to attention.

Silently, he listened as Grand Moff Fortan spoke, smiled when appropriate, and clapped when needed. He wasn't sure of what to make of all the attention on him, but he was the Supreme Commander now. Men would be looking to him for guidance. Vaas needed to do everything he could to ensure that their trust was well-placed. And he intended to.

Once Grand Moff Fortan stepped away from the podium, Ludolf applauded. The audience was expecting him now, and so he took to his feet and made for the dais, but not before placing a polite kiss on Marzena's cheek as he stood during the applause. He was not quite as well-spoken as Natasi, nor could he hope to have her penchant for humor. The guests would most likely find Supreme Commander Vaas the yin to Natasi's yang, as his tall, black-clad form stood imposing behind the podium. But he was a man made for the business of conquest and killing. Light-hearted speeches were simply not in his genetic code.

Supreme Commander Vaas surveyed the crowd with a stony face. "Thank you, Grand Moff Fortan," He said to Natasi as she departed the stage, offering a nod. "And thank you all as well, for your attendance. I wish to not reiterate the eloquent words of Grand Moff Fortan, but I would like to say personally - the First Order owes the people in this room a great debt. You have brought honor to the First Order, and to yourselves. The Supreme Leader himself is pleased. And it gives me great pleasure to present first - awards to our military members for their valiant service."

A light applause followed, during which a subordinate officer handed the Supreme Commander a ceremonial box filled with the awards that were to be presented. Vaas nodded his thanks, took the ornately crafted box, and turned back to the audience. First, he would present the military servicemen with their awards, after which awards for different branches would follow.

"The Iron Sun Second Class is an award for extreme battlefield bravery, to those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in the face of adversity. I present this award to the following men - [member="Tanomas Graf"], [member="Carlyle Rausgeber"], [member="Cyrus Tregessar"], [member="CT-47B"], [member="Nils Brenner"], [member="Pierce Fortan III"], [member="Collin Calhoun"], [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"], [member="Greta Kohler"], [member="Doc"], [member="Fiolette Yvarro"] and [member="Sara Lee Jones"]. Please join me in saluting these honored guests."

iron+sun+2c.png

Ludolf held the medal that each of them would be receiving high while extending his right arm in the customary First Order salute, while a thunderous applause enraptured the venue. Truly, these were the First Order's greatest warriors in the military. As the applause died down, Supreme Commander Vaas then moved on to the next award for the military.

"I shall now present the Iron Sun First Class to the exemplary soldiers who have proven their honor on the battlefield, and have previously recieved an Iron Sun Second Class. This award is presented to [member="Asharad Graush"] and [member="Kierel"]. The First Order is indebted to your service."

iron+sun+1c.png

Once again, Ludolf held out a strong arm in display of the First Order's honorary salute, as the attention was focused on all of these men and women.

Fiolette Fortan

F
Rising from her seat, Fiolette could hear the audible gasps and whispers. It was not a sudden rise, no, it was a slow - aching rise. Her cane and her daughter were not there to aid in this process. She did not want to be here to get a shiny piece of medal, she didn't want it. What she wanted were the men and women that had served on the Sloane. She rose to her feet, and looked at Lord Admiral [member="Horus"], and gave him a standing a salute. There had been men and women of the Sloane who would not be here today had it not been for the Commonwealth's actions, her daughter promptly took the cane and placed it beneath her mother's grip.

Fiolette could care less about the medal, she wanted her ship, she wanted her command but these things she could not have. She could not have the entirety of her crew. Nearly thirty thousand men and women served aboard the FIV Rae Sloane, and only a fraction of them returned home, and even less so alive. The Sloane's name and registry number glinted in the light, they had been burned into the wood and could be seen as she took a step forward, and then another heading for the exit. She surveyed the room and looked at [member="Tanomas Graf"]. For you see, she did not fight for an award, she fought because she had to, she fought because it was her duty, she fought not just for the First Order, not just for the Supreme Leader of whom she could give two karks about. She fought for the men and women beside her, she fought for her niece Natasi Fortan who had voluntarily accompanied the fleet.

Lucy asked Admiral Tanomas Graf if he could help her mother, as she hadn't realized that sitting for so long would make it harder on her mother. True heroes, were the ones who never came back home. True heroes make the ultimate sacrifice and thus can be remembered as such, Fiolette Yvarro did not accept her medal. She did not want it, it was bad enough that she would be forced to carry the campaign ribbon on her uniform. "Too many," she told Graf, "too many died... I should have been better," she says to him quietly feeling the weight and the guilt of the battle on her shoulders. "Perhaps more would have survived."

It is so easy to boast of victories, so easy to boast of success when one has not tasted the bitterness of death, of loss and the cost of such great victories. Her wooden cane's sound against the carpeted floor was muffled but she was not hard to miss. An aging admiral still recovering from the very battle they were handing awards out for. "You have my utmost gratitude for carrying on after the Sloane's demise," she says to him still in a hushed manner, "just wish my second had survived the battle, she was too young, I had not trained her properly..." Captain Aileen Grant had been acting Commodore and taken over Fiolette's command, lost her life in the final push to Omega.

And at last they had reached the door, and exited the ballroom.

Looking forward to the prospect of a duel with [member="Samka Derith"], if he would ever get out of this rotten chair, Wolf followed [member="Sara Lee Jones"] to meet her companions. He smiled in greeting to [member="Roderik von Brinkerhoff"], extending a hand from his hoverchair to shake his, and then to [member="Sioux Chambers"] and [member="Lilith Sedarri"] in turn, catching their names as he did so. His eyes would narrow ever so slightly, almost indiscernibly, when they met Sedarri's, the twinge of Force sensitivity piquing his interest upon shaking her hand. Wolf turned to lastly greet [member="Pierce Fortan III"], extending a hand as he did before. His eyes rested on the pilot's crutches, and shot him a grin. "Ah, always a pleasure to meet one of my kin!" He tapped indicatively underneath the hoverchair he sat on, before nodding in response to the first pilot's suggestion they should move to the tables, turning in his hoverchair as they moved on.

Wolf would move to sit with the pilot group, and sat next to [member="Sara Lee Jones"]. A waiter hurried over to remove the dinner seat next to Sara, so that Wolf could simply sit on his hoverchair next to her. He politely smiled with thanks to him. Did he really need assistance with such menial tasks? Slightly irritated at his own incompetence he drank down his flute of champagne, signalling the waiter for a refill as he tucked himself into in the dinner table next to Sara. It was not often that the Knights of Ren had any time to enjoy themselves, and Wolf was not one to miss such an opportunity as he nodded in thanks as the waiter served him.

The music came to a close as the Grand Moff [member="Natasi Fortan"] took her position to address them. Wolf watched and listened intently. She spoke of the bravery of the Commonwealth, the sacrifice of the First Order servicemen, and the central role played by their galactic nation. Indeed there was no untruth to what she said, the First Order had truly saved the galaxy. What an uncomfortable truth that was to those who proclaimed themselves the righteous and just. The Grand Moff spoke with good humour, and Wolf lightly chuckled at many of her remarks. Indeed, it was the hypocrisy of the Galactic Alliance and Jedi that tickled him the most, and no doubt they would quietly sweep under the rug any thought that the First Order might actually be different from what their misguided ideals might tell them. Wolf could already perceive some of the qualities that would have made her a suitable appointment by the Supreme Leader.

Supreme Commander [member="Ludolf Vaas"] was next to take the stage. The difference in bearing and persona was immediate and striking, and Wolf felt as though he was witnessing a living representation of the First Order itself, in the form of two people. The striking intellect, beauty and charm of the first, hand in hand with the strength, efficiency and ruthlessness of the second. It warmed the young Knight of Ren's heart as Vaas spoke, as he mused on the contrast between the two of them. Two sides of the same coin, Wolf could only marvel at the wisdom of the Supreme Leader for appointing two leaders that so finely exemplified the Order.

Wolf clapped as he recognised some of the names of those receiving the Iron Sun second class, indeed those who were seated with him at the table. He smiled to them, joining in with the applause that took the room. As the applause died down, Wolf listened with interest as another familiar name was spoken, receiving the first class award. [member="Kierel"]. Wolf's smile only widened at the name, looking around the room to catch sight of the trooper. Indeed Wolf had been only positive in his own assessment of the trooper when reporting back to the Order of Ren. She had displayed admirable resolve in the face of an enemy that could have wiped out all of their lives. Wolf had to admit that he was at first doubtful as to why the trooper had been sent to accompany them, and his doubts had initially only increased when she had impulsively fired a shot at one of their accompanying Sith. It made Wolf laugh thinking of it now, and he gave [member="Samka Derith"] a glance and knowing grin that their comrade on that fateful mission was being rightfully rewarded. Indeed as the mission went on, Wolf was grateful for Kierel's service, and became convinced of her as someone he could rely on.

Progflaw99

Taking a seat next to [member="Valessia Brentioch"], Rolf's eyes traced to the front of the room as the Grand Moff took the stage. Leaning over, he whispered in response.

"These events do leave me feeling quite peckish, perhaps a cup of tea or dinner might be in order." He smiled as he returned his attention to the ceremony at hand.

His eyes followed the Grand Moff as she conceded the stage, locking then onto their Supreme Commander as he approached. He'd never met the man personally, though he'd been present on Zarnathea, albeit in an AT-AT rather than having boots on the ground. For a moment his mind flicked back to that market on Zarnathea, it had been a bloodbath. Why the populace hadn't simply accepted their new rulers he didn't understand. They were offering them everything they had and instead, these people had formed an armed resistance. Gently shaking his head he brought his mind back to the present.

As the awards were announced, he smiled. He knew some of those names, others he did not, but it was always a good day when your brothers and sisters in arms were awarded for their hard work. It bit into him a little bit that he was unable to be there, to help in the ground assault but the drink in his hand had temporarily salved that burn in favor of another more enjoyable one. As the first round of awards his eyes caught movement from the front of the room. An elder woman had stood, almost gracefully as it were, a look of.. dismissal painted across her features? No... something deeper there but what? He could imagine that the losses sustained over the short lived conflict had affected everyone, just like Zarnathea had redefined who he was. Giving a gently nudge to the woman beside him he whispered again.

"Pardon my ignorance, but who is she?"

Rolf knew he probably should have known but he was new to this political game. Faces were new, the landscape changing significantly from his days as a rank and file trooper. Mentally he made a note to brush up on names and faces connected to the higher echelon of the First Order.

Marzena Vaas

M
A quiet smile remained on Marzena’s face as the Grand Moff took to the stage. She shifted slightly in her seat to get a better view. As always, [member="Natasi Fortan"] was a shining example of class and well-spoken words. Marzena listened with her finely manicured hands folded in her lap, but lifted them a few times to clap along with the rest of the crowd. She did giggle at the light quips about the Supreme Commander, but not too much. Marzena reached over and gave his hand a gentle squeeze, realizing that eyes were upon him now. She was used to being in the spotlight; she had to remind herself that he was not.

After a moment or two, her gaze moved back towards the podium. Though the Grand Moff made light of her role during the Omega War, Marzena could not imagine having to take command of a battlegroup in such a crisis. No doubt, the Grand Moff’s courage and leadership skills had played a part in their success. She let her eyes wander over the guests, noting the many uniforms that were worn with pride tonight; these men and women truly did deserve recognition for their bravery.

Her attention shifted as [member="Ludolf Vaas"] rose; Marzena offered him a bright smile as he leaned in to kiss her cheek. Marzena watched him step behind the podium, admiring his appearance in the stately dress uniform. In their time together, she had grown used to seeing his affection show in his gaze or expression, but these hints of warmth were nowhere to be found as he addressed the crowd. His signature stoicism had taken over, a somewhat cold but impressive display of authority and strength.

She listened as he announced the men and women that would receive awards, and she only recognized two of them. Of course, she had met [member="Pierce Fortan III"] once before. And she had only met [member="Asharad Graush"] that night. Still, she clapped enthusiastically for all of them.

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
The little dare say affectionate squeeze of her shoulder by the Lord Admiral as he passed by Sasha brought a small smile to the sergeant's face, which was shared with [member="Jacen Konshu"] as she took a step closer to the lieutenant after [member="Horus"] continued on through the small group towards his table closing the gag between them. The elder statesman of the Commonwealth so reminded the Corellisi of her late grandfather, who had raised Sasha after her mother had died. She wondered if the newly known father to her, Commander-in-Chief of the Marine Corps [member="Rayce Tharelle"], would ever rise to the same level of respect of these gentlemen in her life. Time would only tell for the previously estranged father and daughter.

The awards ceremony seemed to be about ready to start as a well-poised woman walked up to the dais. Sasha moved to the Commonwealth's designated tables, giving a neutral nod to [member="Nils Brenner"] as the First Order pilot looked her way, then the tall redhead took a seat with the other soldiers present. Another sip from her recently replenished drink was taken, then the neat whisky was set down in front of her so she could clap appropriately for those earning praise due to their brave deeds performed during the Omega event, which included their very own Lord of Admirals.

[member="Gunther Creed"]

Jacen smiled back at the Corellian Sergeant as he settled back against the bar. It wasn't the best position in the hall, he didn't have a real wall behind him, but he had comrades scattered throughout the room, and next to him. The First Order people seemed genuine up to this point, but Jacen would take nothing for granted.

He felt a tap on his shoulder, and when he turned the bartender offered him another whiskey and beer. Jacen accepted them, then turned to [member="Sasha Starkos"] and shrugged with a smile before saluting her with the glass and turned his attention to the ceremony beginning at what he now assumed was the head of the room.

skin, bone, and arrogance
Pierce settled into his chair, tucking his crutches under the table in as non-intrusive a way possible, and smiled over at [member="Lilith Sedarri"] as the waiter came over. After Lilith ordered, Pierce placed his order and lifted his wine glass, reaching over to touch the crystal to Lilith's. "Your good health, madam," he murmured, lifting his glass in a toast to Lilith before he took a sip and set his wine down. He leaned closer as his cousin took to the stage, resting his arm on the back of her seat casually. "I feel like I should warn you about my cousin Natasi. She is ... how can I put this delicately?" He frowned thoughtfully for a moment, then went on. "She can be intense, and some shakeups at the Palace have her even more on edge than usual. But I'm sure she'll mind her manners when I introduce you."

The Captain was vaguely aware of the history between the Grand Moff and the Supreme Commander, and Pierce wondered if that was the motivation for her ribbing of the Supreme Commander. It was entertaining -- Pierce joined the others in laughing at the Grand Moff's remarks as the waiters came around with food. He had his mouth full of seafood bisque when Natasi finished her remarks. Pierce's eyes traced her as she got off the stage, then followed (under furrowing brows) as Natasi passed her seat and made her way out of the room. "Or perhaps that will have to wait for another time..." He dabbed his mouth with a napkin and sat up, frowning a little.

"Ms. Sedarri," he said after pausing to absorb what he had just witnessed. He wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the rest of the presentation for now. "At the risk of shattering the air of mystery about you that I find so appealing, I'm dying to know more about you. Have you always been interested in the performing arts? You looked so natural on your toes that you could have been born for the role."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom