Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Lore Collected Writings on Jedi Unity, edited by Jend-Ro Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: A Jedi anthology
  • Image Credit: N/A
  • Canon: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Links: None

GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Media Name: Collected Writings on Jedi Unity
  • Format: Book
  • Distribution: Scattered (available at various Jedi temples/academies)
  • Length: Medium (around 50,000 words)
  • Description: An edited anthology of writings on the challenges and future of Jedi unity.

SOCIAL INFORMATION

FORMAT INFORMATION
Collected Writings on Jedi Unity takes the form of a normal hard-copy book. One small print run was flimsiplast with a duraplast cover; another was paper and leather.

CONTENT INFORMATION
PREFACE: Master Quill briefly outlines the contents.​
CHAPTER ONE, by Master Tiland Kortun: "The hand of a Jedi must be held lightly, quick to open in an offer of aid, slow to close into a fist, and quicker still to offer reconciliation.​
"Such is the nature of the Jedi, at least, in theory. What that means in practice is an entirely different matter. What is fast? Or slow? Can there be reconciliation? What even is reconciliation? What about justice? Is there such a thing within the Force? Even the words of the Jedi Code are up for debate and discussion. It's why we have so many, I suspect. Yet for as long as the Jedi have existed, we have suffered schisms and separations. At times, we let them flourish. Other times, we intervened and brought an end to the breakaway sects, especially when it came to divergent philosophy and the risk of certain teachings promoting that of the Dark Side. Were we right to do so? Were we not? Wiser minds than I will have to make that judgment. All I can say is that many have been harmed by such schisms and the consequences of mistrust and hurt lasted ever since.​
"But that means we must ask, what is it that Jedi are meant to do? I have spent nearly a thousand years pondering this question and have come no closer to the answer than I was in my youth. The only thing I have found is harmony with the Force, ourselves, and the beings around us. Now, what harmony means is another of the great debates that I have no answer for that can be put into words. The nature of the Force is one that cannot be easily put into words. It is a power and a will not limitable to such things as words. It is... ever-shifting, ever-moving, ever-surrounding. It is, simply put, reality itself. Perhaps that explains the broadness of interpretation, not only among the Jedi, among the Sith, but the diverse and varied interpretations. Colors, the breath, the body, telekinesis, a form of crafting. Each of these are a fragment of the Force, only a tiny sampling of the innumerable Force sects that once existed in the galaxy.​
"And that, my friends, brings us to today. The Jedi Order is fragmented and split along ideological and methodical lines. From the first major schism of our era, with the breaking off of the Army of Light to fight the Sith Empire, to the establishment of the Silver Jedi Order. Then we had the rise and fall of the New Jedi Order. Now, it no longer exists, having been replaced by the Jedi Covenant of the Alliance in Exile. Meanwhile, another attempt is being made at establishing a Republic, with their own Jedi enclave. There are the Jedi of the Greyson Imperium, a continuation of the Army of Light tradition. The Silver Jedi persist and other, scattered enclaves and organizations work to bring harmony to their sectors of space.​
"We again are facing the question of Jedi unity. Are we to be united as one? Or are we to be split into these different orders and territories? I ask instead, why do we seek unity rather than harmony? Unity implies that all are, well, unified. There is a sense of conformity to the word, like there is a single ideal form of what it means to be a Jedi. Instead, I suggest we seek harmony. Wind and water exist in harmony, but are still different. Same with predators and prey in the natural world, and without that harmony, the ecosystems would collapse. The Force operates on a multitude of levels, ranging from cellular to the galactic, with different agents and methods. Yet together, it is all the Force. I suggest we consider ourselves in that same regard. Perhaps we erred in centralizing on Coruscant, so long ago, and oft-repeated up to the present day. According to our histories, that was a decision made to prevent our mistakes and lack of centralized accountability from causing disaster. But instead, it planted the seeds of our near-destruction and some of the greatest victories of the Sith. I fear that by centralizing ourselves, we isolated ourselves from the rest of the galaxy and we lost our ability to be in harmony with the worlds, systems, and beings whose realities were far removed from that of our temples and our refuges. We did not know them. And how could we foster harmony with those we did not know? It was an attempt to mix caff and tea in the same cup, to tragic results.​
"But are we better off? Are we unified? In the truest, and most important way, I would say we are. We all strive to follow the Light, to do good, and to make the galaxy better. In this, our goals and values are aligned. We stand in unity. But this is not what we often speak of when we hear of Jedi unity. Rather, we think of a single, coordinated Jedi order operating across the galaxy. Certainly, it would be more convenient, perhaps even more efficient. But efficiency is not the pursuit of a Jedi. Harmony is. And harmony is not found, it is built, slowly, and with many misunderstandings and mistakes as we learn from experience how to best fit the pieces together. Which plants work best in a tea blend, for example, is found only through slow experimentation and gradual, focused experience. And there is not one single perfect kind of tea. Rather, different blends for different situations. So too are there different Jedi for different circumstances. Who could imagine taking the Corellian Jedi and having them function on Coruscant? The two worlds and cultures do not exist in harmony. They are in conflict so Green Jedi will be of little help in restoring harmony to Coruscant. And of what use are the Baran Do sages outside of their homeworld? Traditions grow and evolve to meet the demands of their circumstance. Why should Jedi not do the same?​
"Now, while we may be seeking harmony as we are, it would not hurt us at all to learn to better coordinate. Harmony is not an ideal so much as a learned state of collective being, after all. Can't happen if we can't even manage to meet for tea on a regular basis to know each other."​
CHAPTER TWO, by Master Coren Starchaser: "The Jedi Order. Something very interesting, if one is to truly consider it. Maybe I haven’t been the best of the Jedi, not in my track record. But for whoever finds this. The challenge and the promise within the Jedi is that they are protectors, but they are also warriors. There are a number of approaches to being a Jedi, and that is a huge challenge. Maybe it was what caused me to suggest to Omai Rhen that the Jedi needed a new approach. The Republic had their own Jedi, but they were afraid to fight. The New Jedi Order? That group worked with other light siders, it brought the Jensaarai in, it brought Jedi who were ready for a change. Jedi who were able to take the proactive approach against the Sith. We worked with the Silvers, we worked with those who were ready to help us fight. But sometimes, hindsight provides a better view of what we are looking at."​
"After the fall of the Alliance, things changed. I took time to walk the galaxy, to meet the rest of the players out there. The New Jedi Order was the front line, but it was rescued by the other Jedi. The Silvers, the Lotus, the Jedi within the Confederacy, and we found home in the Coalition."​
"But before I get into my lesson, one thing I found, was that the Jedi are fractured. But the smaller groups, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses. With the Covenant of the Outer Rim at my back, I was able to take the time to see the other Jedi. Silvers, Greens, those in the Confederacy, and the freelancers, the Praxeum… All exist for different reasons, some fight, some learn the mysteries, some protect. But they all have something in common. They hold the Light above all. They claim heritage to the Jedi of old. And they all are Jedi…"​
CHAPTER THREE, by Master Karen Roberts, published posthumously: "If you can channel the Light Side of the Force? You're there. You're good. Everything after that is just flavoring. Guardian Jedi, Sentinel Jedi, Snowflake Jedi - whatever. Anybody who channels the Light can, and probably does, wear the name tag. So don't worry about the name. It's just a name."​
"The devil is in the details. Name tags are cheap and Jedi snowflakes are a dime a dozen these days. So earn respect, spank the Sith, and don't wave your sword around like you belong here. We don't. They do. The future is for NFUs. We're just the ones who keep the Dark off their backs long enough to build it."​
"I once heard of a woman who gave up the Grandmaster title of her Jedi Order. Good woman. She's probably dead by now but at least we all liked her."​
"Approaching unity is like approaching a wounded Sith Lord. It's probably fooling with you so you'll get too close. Approach cautiously. Remember, they'll always be more Sith Lords to kill. Take your time. And stop counting."​
"Stop thinking about how to live like a good person. Think about how you'd like to die as one. When that Sith Lord runs you through, red sword burning. You won't care if you died as a member of some cool book club. You'll think of all the people you saved. All the lives that mattered. All the people you trust and all the Dark you kept away. Unite to fight. Unite to grow. Sure. But fight them anyway. Because we die well. Nobody else does. We do. We die well."​
CHAPTER FOUR, by the Master with No Name: "What relationship does a Peackeeper have with a weapon as lethal as a Lightsaber? Know this, walker in the Force, the art of the Lighstaber is the art killing. No ornamental words can deny that truth. Whether in defense or in aggression - it is a weapon that deals death and harm. So then what is the relationship of a Jedi to his weapon?​
"It is reverence. Reverence for the power it deals. For the craftsmanship it holds, the centuries of knowledge that culminated in its creation and reverence for the oath it symbolizes. Use the Lightsaber to deal the will of its user. That will is a reflection. Let each strike be made in reflection. Cultivate the will in the Light Side in the Ways of the Force and that reflection shall shimmer and be true. Never strike in determined hatred. Strike in determined resolve and harmony - with the Light...and the Dark."​
CHAPTER FIVE, by the Echani Jedi adept Tellu Talon, published posthumously: "The light is stronger than the darkness, and though you may bring your fear, and the stench of death. And though you whisper darkness into the ears of those weaker than you. Know that the light is stronger, for when there is a will, there is a way, and hope no matter how frail will prevail. There is no death, there is only the Force and though the pain of loss is deep know that the morning will arrive. Know that there will be a dawn, and no matter how far the darkness goes on there is a light. There is always a light, and there is always a choice, and it is never too late to heal."​
"For when there is death, there is life. Where there is hate, there is love - where there is fear, there is hope. You cannot have one without the other, and I am here. I am here, I am Tellu Talon and I shall not allow the darkness to prevail. For I have seen darkness, and I have known its name - I have known self-doubt, I have known the fears, the anxiety and the pains of depression. I also know that I am not alone, I will always have my family and my sister Srina, and this darkness shall too pass."​
"I believe in the light, and believe that no matter the amount of pain that someone is in - that love could heal them. For the dark is darkest before the dawn, and light comes with the morning. "​
CHAPTER SIX, selected quotes by Master Veiere Arenais, published posthumously: "Jedi are often faced with aggression when we step out into the galaxy, into the field of duty, with assignments such as keeping the peace and aiding a local security force for example. Enforcing the law of a world means that there's an element of control being placed upon the civilian life, made law by their government. The Assembly would of course determine whether the law is justified before sending out it's people...-But if you were to come up against a criminal element during this assignment, you might well be forced to engage them in order to pacify a potential threat to yourselves or others. Now...Imagine you're out there helping the security officers, and someone gets angry with you and draws upon a weapon. This obviously will put others around you at risk...-It also begs the question of the value of one life over numerous others. What happens when we have to choose between harming one person for the sake of the many? Is the greater good, a good reason to take a life?".​
~ Veiere Arenais, to a class on Morale Ethics and Diplomacy.​
"As Ambassadors, our role comes before these times. To meet and discuss possible solutions before the political stage becomes so unbalanced that we're forced to find ourselves in days like today, where it's clear that the time for talking is at an end. For generations, Jedi have struggled with the weight of war, and the fighting seems to go on... As Ambassadors, we need to prepare ourselves for the inevitable times where others will disagree with us. We will never be successful in all of our missions, for we do not force the free-will of others, but we must do all that we can to ensure we've done our best to discourage any potential fallout, to quieten any whispers of war. Had we no respect for the Force and for the Ideologies of our predecessors, of our path, perhaps we'd be more inclined to resort to mental abilities and practices of persuasion; But we know this to be wrong, we don't force others to make their choices. Our greatest tool in our role is our ability to speak and to reason with others, our charisma and intellect".​
~ Veiere Arenais, to a class on Diplomacy and the role of Ambassadors within the Order.​
"We never cease learning, nor will we ever come to gain complete knowledge over everything. We should never presume to know more than others or act as though we're superior based upon what knowledge we might have. In every situation, there is opportunity to learn and to grow from...".​
~ Veiere Arenais, to a class on the subject of Ignorance and the Jedi Code.​
"It's important to keep in mind that, though we are Jedi and the Code tells us that we should uphold all of these seemingly perfect ideals, remember that we are sentient too and that even Jedi are flawed and capable of making mistakes... The Code encourages us to do our best in every situation, but we are not perfect. All of us here will falter at times, it's simply our nature, but the importance can be found in our dedication to always strive to uphold the ideals and virtues that it teaches us. All we can do is try our best to do right by these teachings, and by other people".​
~ Veiere Arenais, reminding his class that Jedi are still sentient and flawed like the rest of the Galaxy.​
"I do not expect that you will ever know the merit of fighting for the benefit of others, Darth. Your ambitions cloud your sight...On the path you walk, you will never find peace within yourself, as I have done. As long as there are Tyrants like yourself, the Jedi will stand between the Sith and those you seek to bring to heel".​
~ Veiere Arenais to Darth Prazutis in their final duel.​
CHAPTER SEVEN, by Padawan Auteme Denko-Durren: ""What is a Jedi? That's the question I see here. To be united, there's got to be a reason, right? Something we all share, the reason we do what we do, our values. The Force would be a start, but there are many with the Force who are not Jedi. The Light Side, perhaps, but that would deny the existence of Grey Jedi and to an extent the Dark Jedi. The Jedi are expected to have high ideals; to do good in an ethical way, but those ideas have had many different interpretations throughout galactic history. The Jedi Order of the Old Republic, likely the most powerful and ubiquitous Jedi Order in history, ended up becoming leaders of a brutal war due to their proximity to the Republic's government. They strictly taught their ideals, and yet during that time they were incredibly fractured. Many Jedi left the Order because of the war, and Anakin Skywalker, among the most powerful Jedi of all time, fell to the dark side."​
"I don't believe that the Jedi have ever truly been unified. During the time of the old Sith Empire, the Jedi were prey to schisms every few hundred years. The Old Republic had many notable Grey Jedi; those who took the Jedi Code and applied it in a way different to that of the Jedi Council. And now there are a half-dozen Jedi Orders present on the galactic stage, dozens more without the same 'prestige', and many Jedi who follow their own paths."​
"I've found a home with the Silver Jedi on Kashyyyk, but I've found that calling this an order would be a mistake. The Jedi here are as varied as they are across the galaxy. I've spoken to other padawans and none of us can really agree on what the Force is, nor what a Jedi is. The masters give excellent advice and have much wisdom, but so much of it can be conflicting. Is kindness and peace what we should strive for? Or are the Jedi warriors, pushing back the darkness, meant to safeguard the galaxy against the Sith?"​
"It all leads to more questions than answers, but each of us should find our own answers. In the end, Jedi are still people, still sentient -- and that means coming from all corners of the galaxy, having different cultures and acting in wildly different ways. Even our biological differences can change the way we view the Force and the galaxy. There has never been true unity in the galaxy either, so why should the Jedi be any different? I personally believe the Jedi should strive to do good, connect to and with the galaxy in the same way the Force does, but how this is achieved is entirely subjective."​
"As with all things this is a question of identity. To be a Jedi -- to be a person -- is only what you make it. It's unlikely we will be truly united until all of us are united in the Force. Perhaps that's what we should be; united through the Force."​
"While I continue living as a Jedi, I will continue to help people, to use the Force in a way that is true to the Light and all that is good in the galaxy. I will try my best to protect the innocent, to resolve conflict without violence, to understand others and alleviate their suffering. This is how I am a Jedi, but not everyone is the same way. Take from this what you will. In the words of Jedi Master Jend-Ro Quill: 'Unity is overrated.'"​

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Master Quill compiled this anthology in and around 860ABY, while studying in the old Jedi enclave on Hoth. Several of the contributors were Jedi Masters of his acquaintance; several others were dead. He left the final word to his research assistant, a Padawan named Auteme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom