Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Citadel Star Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
D8RsfaN.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a heavier line destroyer for use by Alliance fleeters and those who ask based on a unique design that has a lot of Chaos history.
  • Image Source: Firefly
  • Canon Link: /
  • Permissions: /
  • Primary Source: /
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
STANDARD FEATURES
ADVANCED SYSTEMS
STRENGTHS
  • Mobile Base
  • Fortress Towers
  • Interdiction
  • Advanced Countermeasures
WEAKNESSES
  • Firing Arcs
  • Stellar Obstacles
  • Exposed Drives
  • Staggered Formation
DESCRIPTION
The Citadel-class Star Defender, also sometimes known as the Alliance Star Defender, was one of the Galactic Alliance's most well known ships of the line post liberation of Coruscant. They saw extensive use during the First Order war where despite an overall technological edge for the Imperials it performed admirably against its contemporary the Executrix-class. It was developed and manufactured by SoroSuub Corporation at the height of their power and influence under the old regime.

Several massive, tower-like structures rise up from the base of the destroyer's "U" shaped frame, opposing tips ending in the vessel's primary ion drives while the secondary engines are affixed to the stern of the two larger central towers high above. The port side of the vessel possesses three towers, a large central tower, a smaller tower to port, and a much smaller tower aft. The large central tower on the starboard side is joined to the portside tower by a skybridge-like structure about a third of the way from the framework. Aft and starboard of this central tower is another smaller tower, and in addition to these five upper towers, a sixth tower is on the lower side of the ship's starboard half. Each spear shaped prong is covered in turbolaser battieres, ion cannons, warhead launchers, and point defense emplacements as well as housing the majority of the ship's personnel and systems. It is protected by heavy capital grade shielding and a reinforced outer hull. In combat the Citadel engages not unlike a Hapan Battle Dragon, relying on its ability to attack and defend at a three hundred sixty degree angle. It is a tough and well armed ship of the line with some auxiliary command functions. However during non-combat operations single Citadels were often deployed to function as a mobile base of operations in remote systems, and have the resource capacity for extended deep space voyages.

Of course the design is not without its weaknesses. Much of the destroyer's main propulsion systems are housed in a comparatively weak armored framework. Instead it relies on the preventative coverage of the 'fortress towers' as well as enhanced shielding all along the base of the starship and were an enemy to penetrate these outer defenses the engine superstructure is vulnerable. Its unconventional shape often makes it difficult to factor into larger battle formations, an unbroken frontline of Citadels would actually hamper friendly forces behind. They are also ill suited for navigating hazardous astrography such as dense asteroid clusters or the Akkadese Maelstrom.

Once the Alliance Star Defender was as common as the First Order's Executrix or the Sith Empire's Marr-class destroyers today. Now very few of the old models remain in operation although SoroSuub has regained some capacity to lay down new hulls for their OPA benefactors. Yet it is unlikely the Citadel-class will see a major resurgence as the expertise and manpower required to crew such a ship hearkens back to an Alliance that stretched across nearly half the known galaxy.

oqlvrDQ.jpg
Modifications 4/29/19
  • Cleared up shameful formatting inconsistencies borne from the fool mind of a younger Zark.
  • Updated affiliation and description flavor text to reflect more recent historical events.
  • Provided material links and added support craft hangar to bring submission into line with latest factory standards.
MODIFICATIONS 4/2/20
  • Cleared up bad formatting made by a Zark that definitely should have known better.
  • Increased production rating to Limited reflecting the ship's less common use.
  • Adjusted rating values for the latest factory edition and improved hangar subsections.
  • Expanded old Special Features section into the current Standard/Advanced template.
  • Edited strength and weakness descriptions way down to better convey relevant details at a glance.
  • Heavy description rewrite to cover the latest OPA lore and clear up any confusion that recent developments may cause.

Last edited:
Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Nathanos Darksword"]

Brilliant use of a very unconventional ship design. I dig it.

Your 'Tracking Disruption' Strength reads a bit odd, to me. There's certainly a case to be made that an unusual design might be confusing for enemy to target, but that's ostensibly true for any new ship. I would argue that the core of gunnery, putting the explody stuff on the unexploded stuff, is pretty straightforward, and those large towers make for very prominent targets.

Maybe it's just a wording thing. Especially given that damage is up the owner, I suppose it works fine.

The weakness 'Natural Target' seems like a taunt dressed up as a weakness. Perhaps if it had some effect on fleet coordination and the like?

With the above issues corrected you're still looking at one Squadron over balance. Options are to drop to 2, drop to minor, reduce another rating, or add in another weakness. Off the top of my head, something substantial about limited arcs of fire would work great. I mean, you've got great forward coverage with those towers but any guns facing aft would be totally useless, so perhaps there's not many? Something like that would work.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Made appropriate edits to the problematic language, changed the name of 'Natural Target' and tweaked the weakness slightly to be somewhat more intelligible, and added your recommended firing arcs weakness to preserve the squadron count and as its a fair point. Let me know if you find everything satisfactory, or if further tweaks/changes need to be made.

I appreciate the compliments. :)

Miel Tevv Miel Tevv

A very old starship class that has seen some history. Base features and armaments look good, as do the modifications to modern standards. Increased production to Limited is fine by me as well. And good job on the formatting this time. :p

Approved! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom