Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Fighting Styles

Percy Imura

Imura with a Table Knife
Ello,

How do you come up with your character's fighting style(s)? Why a certain type of style for certain characters? Why does your bounty hunter use twin pistols and not a minigun? Does your force user prefer fighting with (a) lightsaber(s) or force abilities? What lightsaber styles did you choose for them?

For me, all of my characters are force sensitive. I try to give each of them different fighting styles.
- Saruh is a a surprise attacker, and can do a violent job at it. She uses the force, but mainly relies on various weapons to get a job done. She will use Ataru, but mainly relies on Shii-Cho.
- Amee only uses a lightsaber when necessary, and is still average with Niman. She tries to completely use the force whatever the situation.
- Nellja is the powerhouse. She draws two lightsabers, goes to Forms 4 and/ or 5, and goes nuts! Nothing else said xD
- Andrea is a Mandalorian, mainly fighting as one. When put against another force user though, she'll draw a melee weapon and use Makashi.
- Penelope Imura isn't a speed fighter, she's a speed fighter! She draws her Inquisitor based lightsaber and acts like a whirlwind, using her force abilities and lightsaber techniques (she'll be learning Shien and Juyo) and striking opponents like a snake... or cheetah... or something... she also is an expert with bow and arrow.

So, what's behind your character's fighting styles?

Veino uses a combination of Force abilities, Soresu/Djem So, and Jensaarai armor to effectively serve as a tank, tying down either a more powerful opponent or multiple equal opponents so they can't hurt anyone as easily.

Kiyron's a NFU sniper, with unarmed drawing from Krav Maga.

Roth is a brawler who uses fists, mugs, and blasters before his lightsaber.

Gherron does whatever is needed to get the job done. While he isn't the best when it scones to the force and its variations, he is a physical warrior above anything. He slices, he dices, he punches and jabs. He relies on his saber more than anything, and has the fighting skills to back that up.

Xardus is almost the exact opposite. He's got a lot of know-how when it comes to the force and forms, but he's generally weak in what he knows. Though powerful, he relies a bit too heavily on the force and his power over Juyo form. Without the force's aid, he's near useless.

Daniel Imura (my newest FU) Knows the force, and uses his abilities as a water/ice shaper to his advantage. Though he has a blade, he's more of a hand-to-hand or ranged combat guy. He doesn't want a lightsaber, though may get a better sword at some point. He's quick and cunning, and will put you in a deep freeze if you don't keep up the pace.

Solan - Solan fights very differently from my other chars in that he is the only one that actively uses a scythe. This of course relies heavily on power attacks and throwing people off without a psychological aspect as he readily mixes Pyrokinesis, Telekinesis, Fire Shaping, and even uses an illusion on himself to make him look like a literal skeleton. This is in due to his wanting to instill fear and pain in his opponent or even use his own pain as his empathy is another standard tactic in which he has overloaded the amount of emotions on his mind to draw a direct connection with the force for a short time before collapsing. So Short answer, burn hot and fast with a psychological aspect.

Alexandra - This is, for lack of a better example, a character that fights much like ventress except for a few key differences. First of all she is far more fluid and less focused on power than ventress was. Furthermore she mixes in force powers actively when she can as that is still her most experienced field and when neither of those works she uses the psychological aspect of her sabers, or resorts to an echani warstaff or even grenades. Short answer, she is a jack of all trades and ready for any fight.

Only posting these two, as they are the only clearly developed fighting styles.

Non-Force User. Mine is a mix between Batman and Sherlock Holmes. I quickly analyze the situation with my enhanced reflexes and dissect the fight until it's over. I use whatever I have on hand or can get a hold of to get the job done. My main weapons are as such: Neuronic Whip (no longer have it) for 1v1 harassment. Repulsor Rifle for crowd control. Jet pack for mobility and versatility. Dual Vamblades for stealth and dueling. Heavy blaster pistol, because LAZERZ! and to pack a ranged punch.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
It's an evolution, My first RP website used a strict format for combat. Defend once, shift, strike once, and repeat. Duels were boring for the audience and metered between writers. Meh. My next website allowed you call your own hits and damage. My character lost her hands in the first week and a leg the second. Meh. My next website allowed Personal Shields which could absorb almost any amount of damage. Stress was the worst injury war could offer. Meh.

Here on Chaos it's a bit more free-form. Which I enjoy immensely. I fight with whatever I've subbed to the Factory that month for the character. Plus the usual lightsaber shenanigans. I don't have to be a RL scholar, physicist, or learn Kendo to enjoy a fight either. I enjoy the randomness to it all. Otherwise I'd just go play Call of Duty. :p

Percy Imura said:
Ello,

How do you come up with your character's fighting style(s)? Why a certain type of style for certain characters? Why does your bounty hunter use twin pistols and not a minigun? Does your force user prefer fighting with (a) lightsaber(s) or force abilities? What lightsaber styles did you choose for them?

For me, all of my characters are force sensitive. I try to give each of them different fighting styles.
- Saruh is a a surprise attacker, and can do a violent job at it. She uses the force, but mainly relies on various weapons to get a job done. She will use Ataru, but mainly relies on Shii-Cho.
- Amee only uses a lightsaber when necessary, and is still average with Niman. She tries to completely use the force whatever the situation.
- Nellja is the powerhouse. She draws two lightsabers, goes to Forms 4 and/ or 5, and goes nuts! Nothing else said xD
- Andrea is a Mandalorian, mainly fighting as one. When put against another force user though, she'll draw a melee weapon and use Makashi.
- Penelope Imura isn't a speed fighter, she's a speed fighter! She draws her Inquisitor based lightsaber and acts like a whirlwind, using her force abilities and lightsaber techniques (she'll be learning Shien and Juyo) and striking opponents like a snake... or cheetah... or something... she also is an expert with bow and arrow.

So, what's behind your character's fighting styles?
Character development dictates everything to do with Silara, and although I've gone ahead and chosen Ataru and Juyo for Lisette (her daughter) she may very well switch styles of combat depending on what she is taught.

Silara, for example, was taught by two Sith Lords, one who trained her in Makashi / Jar'kai, and the other in all subjects one would normally expect out of a master/apprentice relationship between two Sith. I, as a writer, make use of all of my character's abiltiies in some way or another that make sense for her (previously) elegant style of combat that was born out of her Makashi training. Due to her recent blindness, however, her style will shift to unrefined brutality seen in Juyo. She was, in my opinion, naive prior to the event, but after being defeated by [member="Graxin Rade"] she has lost that merciful part of her. In every duel/fight/etc she's been in prior to the event she's allowed her enemies to either live in captivity or to escape. Because of the devastation of her loss, both of the duel and of her left arm and eyesight, she will likely become far more cruel, merciless, and quite possibly make use of Sith magic beyond her typical use of the waves of darkness.

Roshim, due to his natural strength, mainly relies on his Djem-so, but augments his physical speed and strength with the force while throwing in a few Makashi attacks in the mix. Roshim is more of an agressive fighter, but he will use more of the inward abilities of the Force to aid in combat.

Fabula is a brute. She hits hard, fast, moves and jumps around a lot, and has no issues with stamina. However, she has no imagination. Her tactics boil down to "hitting it isn't working, I should hit it harder." She also tends to neglect defense and rely on bodily protection instead of the ability to avoid attacks, which is mirrored by her favorite forms: Ataru, Djem So, and Juyo. She runs straight at her enemy and beats the living crap out of them. No neat tricks or underhanded tactics or even feints. Just sheer, overwhelming force.

Nyx generally snipes people. 360-no-scope style. That's her thing. Adding force stealth makes it a bit easier. She does, however, know a bit about hand-to-hand combat and swordplay. That's her last resort, generally. She rarely stops until the fight is completely over. Giving up is not in her nature.

Ven just hits things until they stop moving. Like a weaker version of Fabs without the force.

Ire is like the younger, less powerful, gayer version of pre-Graxin Silara.

Svarin is meant to focus on swordplay, and she'll eventually learn to add strength + speed with the force. Her focus is, however, on NFU skills. The force is a means of getting stronger, not of being strong (according to her).

Azrael his things with his six arms and uses the force to go faster + harder.

Xander uses a hammer as his main weapon. *have the link in the sig as Dawnstar* And well, it's a beauty to use. I mean, swinging a hammer to back the hell out of people is fun. Even if some Jedi consider it. "Unethical." I am a Mando. So I used it because it works. If I can't hit you with the hammer hard enough, I'll just hit you again. However, there are sometimes where a hammer won't work very well at all. So most of the time I will either pull out by single bladed lightsaber, or by double bladed master level lightsaber. Using any of the like 9 forms of lightsaber combat I know while throwing in a few punches, Spartan kicks, and some hand to hand combat as well.

Zambrano isn't a fighter persey. He uses fear, intimidation, and disgust as his primary tool against his enemies. He has immense potential in the force, and it shows from his natural utilization of the force despite his lack of any real training (this is because he is the latest incarnation of an entity that unconsciously hops bodies upon death, sometimes in lightyears distances to find a dying force sensitive infant/child), however, this is directly limited by the amount of pain he experiences. Not only that, but simply using the force causing him a degree of pain if he uses too much at once, and/or over and over again too quickly to the point where it'll make him pass out from instant exhaustion and possibly seizures. He does utilize a very deadly barbed paralytic whip, but it gets the majority of its power from intimidation. Basically, even though Zambrano is technically an Acolyte, he hits above the belt to his peers due to his sheer presence as a dangerous, gorey, lunatic that seems far more powerful than he actually is, mostly due to his reputation and "social" status.

Darth Voracitos was a force power house, plain and simple. He was le king of space wuzardry when it came to Area of Effect, and was also very good at individual mentalism. If we applied a College Analogy, he'd be the Ph.D. of AoE, with a side of Mentalism at a Masters Degree. In essence, he drained the life force out of multiple targets, he'd send out a force induced plague, attack weak minds, and swirl the winds around telekinetically. Due to his massive corpulence and the factors that come with it (gluttony), he was very particularly good at draining your vitality, and if he wasn't applying to multiple individuals, focusing on you instead, you were going for a ride because he was going to suck you dry of pride and soul. He used force plague, minor mental attacks, and telekinetic distractions among other things as his saliva, pre-digesting you before he stuck his vampiric chompers into you with Force Drain. He used his lightsaber as an honorary thing mostly, a fear factor and such. Really I could go on and on about Voracitos, but I'll stop there before it gets out of control.

Stone Hermes was a literal beast. He is an alien creature, hailing from an ice moon where war and life itself were indistinguishable. It was the culture, the interaction between tribes, it was the driving force of civilization. If they didn't war, that meant they were in the middle of dying. So as you can imagine, when he was enlightened by the Morossian Aesir Neth (via modifying his biology with Mechu-Duru Vitae), became an unstoppable zealot. He is a melee fighter with more than a few biological quirks: at any moment that any sharp part of his body scratch you and drew blood (tusks, claws, teeth, back spines, etc.), you would be slowly converted into a Technobeast, additionally, he could fire electric arcs at you with his tusks. Not only that, he could breathe in space due to his internal hydrogen storage tanks (a major weakness), and his skin was durable enough (using thickened durasteel) to sustain a lightsaber strike or so. He would charge at you, slice at you, roar at you, throw stuff at you, crush you, shock you, and just never give up at trying to kill you, even if you've destroyed his blade, nearly severed his arm, broke one of his breathing apparati, and impaled him he'd still be thrashing just as much as he would have at the beginning of the fight. He would just never get tired of trying to kill you with all his incredible might.

Hutuun'Kyramud was a Mandalorian, was essentially my dedicated melee expert. As a Tusken Raider adopted into the Mandalorian Culture from a young age, Kyr innately knew how to utilize his Beskar Gaderffii and was rarely bested whilst using it. Like Stone Hermes, you might consider him a zealot, because it was not in his character to give up until his last breath was drawn. He viewed hesitation as cowardice, and he swore his life to killing cowards. He was a little technophobic, but as the character progressed, he warmed up to the use of various grenades, slug throwers, and his favorite flamethrowers. He also had Crushgaunts, which meant even if he was technically disarmed, he'd still try to crush your face with his hands. He used to be a force to be reckoned with.

Triam Akovin is probably my most combat developed character I have ever had the pleasure of writing, right up there next to Hutuun'Kyramud in his hay day. She is the Gadget Queen. If there's a force power, she will probably have an idea of how to counter it with technology. She always had to experience the consequences of a force user though before she applied something new. For instance, she knew about lightsabers, and immediately got Ultrachrome for her armor. Got her hand cut off by a Jedi, she built a glove that could fire taser wires even if a lightsaber passed through to block them, as well as inject them with a kark load of drugs to prevent them from focusing on anything other than pretty flying ponies. She got moved around by the force? Well time to make Neuranium boots that lock me into the ground when activated. Get nearly electrocuted to death because your armor is actually a superconductor? Time to make a device that absorbs that energy through your armor to power an unstoppable beam of death to shot at them. All in all, she was just a very crafty character who knew how to survive and get out of a bind through the use of technology, wit, and sheer luck. Very fun character :)

That's all the notable one's really, hope you enjoyed the combat synopses! :D

Kaine is a skilled lightsaber duelist. He's a master of Form I and Form V, but has also studied Form II, III, and VI as well, and has blended them into his personalized hybrid style that is built upon the backbone of Form V, as that form best plays to his physical strength. His lightsaber would be held in a two-handed grip for maximum power in his swings, but he was also known to only wield his lightsaber with one hand while he utilized offensive Force powers with his free hand, a common trait of Form VI lightsaber combat. Kaine's also a skilled unarmed fighter, and has been known to incorporate punches, elbows, knees, and kicks during a fight to create a constant offensive against his opponent. Besides his lightsaber skills he's also knowledgeable in various Force powers like Force Lightning, Choke, Drain, Wave of Hatred, and Insanity. Due to his training as an Imperial Agent prior to becoming a Sith, he was also skilled in various martial weapons besides his lightsaber, and could use just about any type of blaster.

Oh, and he isn't above fighting dirty or dishonorable in order to achieve victory, I.E: whipping out a hold-out saber to surprise and gut an opponent.

Honor is for fools :p

Nef usually uses her lightsaber. Though most people don't know that she's quite good with regular swords and daggers. Of course, she always has a melee weapon on her: her cybernetic. She actually discovered it as a weapon when she got really cheesed off with a convict and punched them in the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom