Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion Character Fears/Flaws

I'm not really sure if this character has a fear, per se. She has faced a lot in her measly twenty years of life and has done so with a very pragmatic, 'what is there to fear, but fear itself?' attitude.

I guess I could say that she can be too soft hearted and sometimes struggles with more of the brutalist culture and animalistic nature of a people she's trying to lead and whom she was alienated from (not of her own choice) for many years, finding that their virtues and values often don't line up with her own personally held beliefs that she cultivated and internalized while she was cut off from them.

She can also be very indecisive when it comes to making big decisions and gets wrapped up in her immediate problems, especially after having made the wrong choices in the past with sometimes detrimental results, thus she has a tendency to over rely and lean on the people around her for guidance.

Imposter syndrome is also a flaw that she frequently grapples with, especially in the role that others look and depend on her to fulfill. She see's that she's pushing a boulder uphill and tries to present a strong front, despite having doubts that she'll ever make it to the top.

Kai is afraid of being wrong.

Not just factually, but morally and spiritually incorrect. Having the wrong beliefs or the wrong views; putting his faith and trust in the wrong ideals and the wrong people. Even worse if he had been doing it for years, and had lead others down the wrong path with him.

Cognitive dissonance, while perhaps comforting, would not be able to save him from his worst fears being realized. He would have to confront the truth, overcome his terror, and accept it. Even if the truth hurts.

See with eyes unclouded by hate
After mentioning some of the flaws and fears of my other character Cyran I figured I could also bring up my old former tusken. Whereas I don't see much for Cyran to overcome his own issues, A'Runda has largely overcome the old fears and flaws he had when he was created and I played him more often.

A'Runda's greatest fear had plagued by the time I started playing as him, created through the prophetic warnings of the elder of his trusken tribe when he was exiled. Being a human he was always something of an outcast. When his force sensitivity began to show however, it brough much concern. By the time of Chaos I imagined that the fear and reverence for Darth Vader had become widely known amongst the Tuskens. Because of A'Runda's force sensitivity it was believed that he was possessed and that for the betterment of the tribe, he be banished.

Naturally being removed from his home caused quite of bit of anxiety, but it paled in comparison to the fear of what I might one day become based on the prophetic warnings, that being "The Demon in black with the sun sword". As I played A'Runda he slowed but surly began to fit the image he was warned of but not really in the way he imagined.
  1. Demon = Force User
  2. Sun Sword = Red Lightsaber
  3. Dressed in black = Covered head to toe in black soot (long story)
As I played A'Runda and he filled each of the criteria it subverted his expectations. Although he fit the description he hadn't really become some evil-doer. In fact by the time he completed all three aspects of the prophecy he was actually helping people in a dangerous situation, aiding rather than harming. Prophecy and density have always been pretty crucial aspects to SW, at least the films, so it was fun to touch on that with a character.

You know, that's an interesting question.

After some consideration, I reckon what Desric is most afraid of is chaos - he loathes violence, has a very low tolerance for lacking cleanliness, and tends to despise criminality and the breaking of important societal norms. He likes when things are clean, tidy, and sensible. When they make sense.

Here's some other characters of mine, because why not.
  • Adrian Vandiir, Desric's older brother, was (until the very end - he died) afraid of losing control and of, well, death. In fact, his last post had him all but throw a tantrum as he lay dying. He refused to believe that he could die, despite the power he had accumulated. How Sith of him. He was also a fundamentally flawed being that refused to acknowledge his character flaws due to a mixture of narcissism and vanity.
  • Kal is a bit harder to pin down, as he tends to be both calm and introspective, but I like to think he's afraid of unforeseen circumstances. It's one of the reasons he spends so much time studying things - when he does act, he often does so indirectly and by 'prodding' at things.
  • Finally, let's wrap it up with Marcis Sorr. He's afraid of insects, but he's not incapable of facing that fear. He's also afraid of not being good enough; he's a deeply competitive person who has been willing to take great risks to prove himself to, well, himself.

You know, that's an interesting question.

After some consideration, I reckon what Desric is most afraid of is chaos - he loathes violence, has a very low tolerance for lacking cleanliness, and tends to despise criminality and the breaking of important societal norms. He likes when things are clean, tidy, and sensible. When they make sense.

Come to Veraaaa
842433639979810817.gif

I had to actually think about this with Caden.

Similar to what’s been said here before. Caden has seen so much it would be easy to argue “what’s left to fear but fear itself”. He does, to be fair, follow that. But I realise the more I write him, the more his ego and confidence is just a mask. The more I write him, I realise he’s actually scared of everything.

He’s scared of not being accepted, that’s why he tries so hard to impress people. He’s scared of letting people down, letting people get hurt. He hates others being scared, probably why he acts so childlike at times and he’s scared of losing those close to him, hence why it broke him when he fought with Okkeus.

He’s scared of himself. He’s scared of what will happen if he ever falls from the light. He follows a set of rules to keep himself on the straight and narrow because he’s scared of what will happen if he doesn’t. He’s scared that all of the fighting and training he’s done will strip everything away from him and make him nothing but the perfect soldier.

Yet he hides all of that behind his fake mask of confidence, ego and cockiness. Yet it’s always there when I write Caden recently, even if it doesn’t show. Even if I don’t realise it, and honestly I didn’t until I wrote this out

But yeah. What’s left to fear but fear itself hah.

Last edited:

Caedyn Arenais

C
Caedyn's biggest flaw is that he's too hard on himself. Unreasonably so. He is his own worst critic and often doubts himself.

I get around this character flaw by compensating with his faith in will of the Force, because as a Jedi even if he's being too hard on himself, he can still claim/believe he's serving the force and following his calling in life.

I think all of my characters are defined by fear in one way or the other. For the sake of funnies I will try to summarize them:

Amea Virou Amea Virou is driven by her fear of forgetting this new version of herself and the life she has made for herself given the circumstances of her "birth" so to speak. She copes with it by distracting herself with work, legal or otherwise.

Aeris Lashiec Aeris Lashiec is constantly afraid of loss. Losing herself, losing others, losing faith... It was a fear she wasn't made truly aware of until very recently, but it's always been there. Copes by running away.

Colette Colette is afraid of failure. Sees her force sensitivity as an obligation to be better and to shoulder the expectations from those who doesn't have her abilities. It's too recent for her to really know how to cope with that.

Frea Sheplin Frea Sheplin is deathly scared of the monotony of "regular life". She wants to live fast and die young. "Copes" by seeking constant adrenaline rushes.

Okay now that I’ve had more time to think about it beyond the silly, Cora’s definitely still scared of not living up to expectations. But also-

-
she’s afraid of having to be truly independent. Growing up in a wealthy aristocratic household, she’s always had her basic needs met, and is used to being told where to go and what to do. Even as a Jedi Padawan, she’s always had a level of guidance. Having to fend for and make choices for herself is both freeing and scary.

Being grating is her biggest flaw and drives people away from. All her apprentices hate her, she has lost almost every friend she has had. She was outlasted from her witch clan on Dathomir by her younger sister. She was branded a traitor by the sith. Her coven lives in obscurity now though at one time it was feared. The Maw is broken and dead. Her own family stays as far away from her as they can. Allot of it is her own fault cause of her destructive nature she tears everything apart because of her grating personality.

Which ties into her greatest fears being alone and that no one will ever truelly understand her and her motives.

Thelma’s fears are pretty obvious: she’s afraid of hurting others, losing control over her vampiric urges, winding up insane like her mother, etc. It feeds into a paralyzing fear of intimacy and interacting with other people, which was already part of her personality—the whole vampire thing just metastasized it.

Oh, and she’s also terrified of sewing something wrong and then having to redo it. On a deadline. While out of a specific type of thread and unable to find more at any of the stores in town. And then her sewing machine breaks. The dress was for an extremely important event, which she now thinks she’s ruined. She’d just curl up in a ball in the corner at that point.

Darth Reficite has a few.

Not being able to pass on his legacy is a large fear but it is more or less mitigated with eternal life/reincarnation.

Knowing that someday, people will know of his true actions in the New Sith Wars and will beyond a shadow of a doubt, bring many against him in the Sith Order.

More of a flaw but feeling the power of the Force flood through him and overusing it like he did long ago, like being on steroids but then falling apart in hours time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom