Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character buffing for invasions

Should there be restrictions on when a character joins a faction in order to take part in an invasio

• Total voters
This has happened a lot on chaos where people join as many factions as possible so they don't have to take up a ally slot for invasions. Personally I see it as a rather disrespectful thing to do and raises a question of if this is aloud then why do we need ally slots? lets just join all the factions so that the whole reason for them existing is completely moot.

People should only be aloud to be a core member of a single faction and allies to all others in my opinion.

Curious, and not intended to be derailing-

If this was done in a way that benefitted the UCM, would it still be problematic in your opinion?

This is far from the first time it has been allowed. The Alliance had multitudes of people signing up back in the Glory days of the First Order/GA war just to be part of the antics.

I don't think there's anything particular hateful or disrespectful about it.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
The issue was brought up before long ago with invasions. There was usually a cut off (x amount of weeks a previously joined) for members. New members to the board were an exception to the cutoff. For the most part it seemed to work,

Now, I agree with you, if you join a faction simply to join in an invasion, I feel that is bad.

However, there are also the characters like my own. The struggle between her loyalty to her family (And thereby the CIS) and her loyalty to her man she loves (And thereby to the SJO) Is a very important part of her character. She is part of both. She fights for the CIS as a commando, but takes classes with the SJO, almost all her friends are in the SJO, as well as the one she is dating. It slowly pushes her away from the Sith heritage of her family, and brings her to this middle ground where she is often at odds with herself. It's the core of her story. To then say, that she can't join in the defense of her CIS, or her SJO would be silly. Now, I don't have her join other factions. It wouldn't make any sense for her to join the Corellians, or CIC, or the ORC, etc, so I keep her in those two only.

But to say it should be banned, is equally silly. It doesn't take into consideration the web of stories that are woven.

Perhaps a better way to limit those joining a faction merely for an invasion, is to have:

1. Time limit: Must have joined the faction X amount of time BEFORE the invasion announcement. This would not apply to those brand new to the site.

2. Minimum faction thread activity limit: Must have joined and participated in X amount of faction threads BEFORE the invasion announcement. This would, also, not apply to those brand new to the site.

I believe this would prevent joining factions willy-nilly just to be in an invasion, while also allowing characters such as [member="Allya Vi'Dreya"] to participate in invasions involving both factions she is involved in.

Falcon Rekali

F
IIRC factions used to impose those limits themselves. You tended to know if a character was even active in the faction before an invasion, because you'd see them in faction threads, and when they'd joined the faction, because it says so in the faction memberlist. So between those things... It's not that hard.

The thing is, you have to apply it in the same way, whether you are invading or being invaded. No matter the state of your faction.

I've added a poll to this thread. Vote how you feel is required. We are watching to see the result.

New writer and character accounts would be excluded from any change.

There will be no restrictions on how many factions a character can join. This is more about invasions.

I can understand the frustration of people joining a faction for the sole purpose of invading however, I agree with [member="Allya Vi'Dreya"] there can be IC reasons.

Like my alternate character Kat Decoria, she is part of the CIS because they fought for Eshan's freedom so she respected them and decided to work more with them.

I agree with Yuroic and Allya on this. John is active with two factions because that's his current storyline, he started on the SJO, and is a member of the Assembly there and an admiral, but over time he's started to slide over to the CIS because he fits in better there. Not being able to be a member of both factions would be detrimental to his entire storyline.

[member="John Locke"] i was not suggesting you couldn't be part of both factions. i get people play in multi factions but i assume everyone here has a favored faction they post with the most making you a core member of that faction, but when it comes to invasions i have seen people jump into a faction for just invasions and do not take part in the faction outside of that. So to a clear guideline you can be a core member of your active faction and be a secondary member as the second but it means you have to use an ally slot, and it probably means you get a first dibs on an ally slot too.

[member="Cynthia Solus"] I see where you're coming from, but policing this might be a little hard to do.

Take John for example, he's a member of the Silver Assembly, so one of the SJO leadership, but I only really RP him with the CIS so where would he fit? I know what I'd say is the primary faction, but that might not be the same as what someone else thinks. A honour system would carry us so far, but it seems unfair to burden site staff with the need to review people's activity like that on top of everything else they do (and any reports on this would require their intervention).

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm not all about "core" memberships or ally restrictions. But, I do think it's strange that factions don't use a sign-up list of participating members for every invasion.

Reasons: Participation Victory Conditions state that total member count doesn't give you an advantage. So a 700 vs 10 invasion is *technically* still fair. However, since drama counts against you, it would be in everyone's favor to actually know who will be representing you IC. Thusly. Might be time for a few factions to actually announce, and enforce, who will be showing up IC to represent them. AKA. Ally list sign-up AND Member list sign-up. Then lock the lists the the day the Invasion goes live. That way. No more surprise hitters who suddenly show up IC rep'ing your faction because they joined your group as an alt four years ago.

Keep it simple. Keep it safe. Might be time for "Ally Slots" and "Member Slots" to discourage "surprise!" drama-inducing invaders.

I love being the odd one out so I'll come right out and say it.

A character being affiliated(more specifically a member of) with multiple factions is dumb in my opinion. I've never done it. Never felt a reason to. Just makes no sense to me. That's the equivalent of irl US Navy me also being a member of the Royal Air Force(God save the Queen!).

Now, being affiliated with another faction in regards to like your faction is allied with them so you help them with stuff, participate in things they do, etc, I'm all down for.

That's just my 2 sheckles on that topic. I'm also very curious as to reasons people join multiple factions on one character so I can poke all the holes in their logic. In my mid, of course. I don't want to burst anyone's fun bubble.

[member="Darth Athora"]

I disagree, it is less like joining two different armed forces and more like having a dual passport. You are a part of two nations and should have equal rights as a citizen in both. Therefore, you should be able to partake in an invasion even if the opposite side didn't think you would be involved because they didn't realise you were a member.

Gotta agree with [member="Jay Scott Clark"] on This, whilst numbers don't necessarily count they still heavily impact the perspective of what does count to victory.

I think static lists or set amount of people that can actually be in an invasion would go a long way to reducing stress, confusion, and the feelings over simultaneous invasions and whatnot.

If we wanna take something in universe as an example: The invasion of Naboo in TPM only really had like 5 Player Characters. Padme, Maul, Kenobi, Qui-Gon & padme. (And I guess the viceroy).

Even though that's not a great movie, my point is: less is more. It makes the narrative more focused, and would streamline the communication between both sides and actually make the game more 'competitive' as drama and communication would be much easier to examine, and deal with. but

Also far less stressful.

Because as they stand invasions for 90% of people end up being half finished, messes instead of an actual story. I think this should definetly be an alternative at least.

Just a suggestion.

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
John Locke said:
John is active with two factions because that's his current storyline, he started on the SJO, and is a member of the Assembly there and an admiral, but over time he's started to slide over to the CIS because he fits in better there.

This is your answer. Be in the factions your toons fit the best, don't try to Skyrim your characters and things work out a lot cleaner.

Mercs? Allies as they should be.
Allies? YES take the Ally slot
They work in both factions? Well that doesn't make sense at all. Militaries don't share their personnel like that

The only reason people want this restriction to not exist is to overwhelm factions while skirting the Ally slot system put in place by staff which was mad specifically to stop factions from trouncing others with sheer numbers. And its really transparent that's all people want to do with this.

[member="Tathra Khaeus"], I agree with certain points you bring up, however, if you put a strict limit on the writers/characters that can be involved with an invasion, Invasions are likely going to turn into the same writers involved in each and every invasion. To elaborate on what I am saying with this is that 9 times out of 10, every one of a Faction's Admins is going to be a direct contributor to the invasion, which in itself will immediately limit the number of remaining roster spots should this particular setup be pushed forward (hypothetically). So now where invasions used to bring in amorous amounts of writers to breath life into a story (no matter how disorganized of a story it is), we would be limiting that to a slim fraction of that where more times than not, it will simply fall to one Faction's admins writing with/against the opposing Faction's Admin team.

Furthermore, with your mention of "Player Characters," consideration should be given to the fact that not all "Player Characters" are primary characters. For example, until recently, this character was not, and wouldn't have been, considered a primary/story critical character - he was simply a starfighter pilot. He wasn't a commanding officer/general and wouldn't have been viewed as a kingpin in any other facet. Because of this, and I understand where you were trying to go, I just think it would be too difficult to amicably enact this without particular adverse effects in doing so. Not to mention, it would be very difficult to truly implement this proposal without a significant backlash from the community as a whole.

Just my thoughts.

[member="Alden Akaran"]

That's why, I suggested it should be a viable alternative. You can have both, but regarding your concern of it being the same people over and over - I'd say that's down to self policing and also just means, have more than one invasion going. But now, nobody is getting stampeded.

Also, that's a very good point. But, at the same time having an invasion with characters that aren't typically 'primary' just changes the tonal flavour. You can have a fair mix, five primary/five secondary. Or all primary or all secondary. This site self polices and I think, again the issues would arise with people rather than the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom