Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Careers of Great Interest | Emmen

if they're watching anyways
340_cb20150423231845_3.png

C O R U S C A N T
Tag: Emmen Tagge Emmen Tagge

The waiting wasn't that bad.

As with most important folk in any nation, meetings weren't scheduled for a specific time -- Auteme had been given a window in which she was supposed to be present and waiting to enter the Chancellor's office for her meeting. It was for his safety, obviously. Her window had started two hours ago. Fortunately the HoloNet connection in the Senate building was the fastest on Coruscant, so Auteme was able to do some light research and update the bibliography for her near-finished paper on Ithorian physiology that was due in two weeks.

The research served to calm her down as well. This was meant to be important, after all; she was meeting with the head of state of the Galactic Alliance to discuss a potential position as a liaison to the Senate from the Jedi Order. She was still too young to hold any kind of official position -- or so she thought -- so it'd likely be more of an internship. It'd have to fit in with her classes and her work as a Jedi, though to be fair her work as a Jedi wasn't really anything. Unlike Ryv Ryv she had no duties to do anything other than... general Jedi things.

When he'd told her about his recommendation of her to Emmen Tagge, she'd freaked out a bit -- her, working for the Chancellor? She'd never had a real job before. Or an internship. But given a bit of time to mull it over, she thought she could do some good. Past Galactic Alliances and Republics had often been rife with corruption; if she could help keep things from falling that way, she'd do it. The other Jedi were all off fighting or doing much more important work, and this made Auteme feel like she could make a major change in the galaxy for once... even if she probably wouldn't be talking at meetings of the Senate.

What if Tagge had his own ambitions and tried to use her as a pawn in some political game? Would the Jedi be drawn into politics as they had been in the past? Or worse -- what if Chancellor Tagge didn't like her and kicked her out?

Her thoughts were interrupted as a pair of guards approached, one speaking: "The Chancellor will see you now." The padawan quickly packed up her notes and datapad, then followed the guards to the Chancellor's office.

The guards left her at the door, and as she hit the button to open it she suddenly realized she had no idea what to do with her hands. Where should she put them? She didn't have pockets. Should she just stuff her hands in her bag? Try to hide them in her sleeves? Oh, all of this was going so wrong already, and...

The door opened, and Auteme stepped inside, taking a moment to observe the office before walking towards the large desk near the center and bowing her head to the Chancellor. "Good afternoon, Chancellor Tagge." Her hands had found their place at her sides, seemingly natural and comfortable.

Coruscant // Galactic City // Senate District
Senate Building //
Chancellor's Suite
Auteme Auteme
Br8YpBr.png
The sound of the door closer as the padawan enters the Chancellor's Suite prompts Emmen to glance over his shoulder. He'd been standing behind his desk, hands folded behind his back, idly surveying the visible skyline. With the Senate Building being a restricted zone for most speeder traffic, the sight was unpolluted by the dense stream of starships that flowed endlessly along the many airways of Galactic City.

"Padawan Auteme, a please to meet you," he answers from afar, beckoning with a wave of his hand for her to join him in city-gazing when she rises from the bow "I've only heard great things from your colleagues in the Order."

With a tired smile, his gaze once more drifts to the towers and lights of the surrounding Senate District outside.

"It's a beautiful city, is it not?" he asks, his tone soft and bearing a hint of sadness. "It's incredible that it's survived everything that it has been through. One can't help but admire the resolve of our people. Sith-Imperial star destroyers once hung low over this Plaza," he pulls his right hand from behind him to point at a general area of the visible sky "and many of these structures have burned to the ground twice over. Yet, despite it all, here we are again, willing to fight for our freedom. I often find myself wondering how many terrible men have stood in this very spot, looking out across these very buildings. I wonder what they thought about while doing so; whether they were ignorant or aware of the consequences of their actions on these people."

The Chancellor turns his head slightly, glancing down to the rather plain girl standing next to him from the corners of his eyes, "Tell me, Auteme, what do you think when you look out this window?"

It was certainly not a usual first question in an interview.

C O R U S C A N T

Auteme had never entirely understood the whole deal of gossip and drama that so often permeated the culture of girls her age, but suddenly she felt nervous. Her 'colleagues' had talked about her. Of course, they would've had to, if they were pitching Auteme for this position. But what had they said? If Ryv had run his mouth and gone on a tangent about the both of them... she wondered if the fact that she was dating Ryv would be considered a conflict of interest. The padawan quietly promised herself that she'd do good work here.

Still, she had to get the job first.

"Well, I've had some great role models among the Jedi," she replied, shifting the focus off herself for a moment. The padawan followed the Chancellor's direction and walked over to stand beside him. The way he spoke about the city showed that he really did care about the people down there. There was a reason he'd been elected, after all -- people liked him. He got along with others. He was diplomatic. He cared. Many other evil men who'd stood in his place could feign the same thing, but Auteme could feel Tagge's love for this place and the people of the galaxy. She thought he'd be a good man to work for.

Right. Interview.

Auteme looked out at the city. From the enormous Senate building she could only make out the large repulsorcraft streaming in the skylanes across the city. There were so many people here, but from so high it was difficult to see. She closed her eyes for a moment, instead focusing on the presence. Auteme loved the natural world, but Coruscant had a different sort of beating heart, unlike any other. A presence at the center of the galaxy, somewhat. No wonder the Jedi of old had built their greatest temple here.

After a few moments of silence she opened her eyes, glancing at the Chancellor and answering his question. "It's difficult to describe, but... I feel small, and yet very large. What you can see from this window... there are so many people and things out there. And while that's terrifying, being above it all, it feels like we have a responsibility to watch over it." Her gaze returned to the view out the window. "This place is at the center of the galaxy. The decisions made here affect trillions of people. It's a lot of responsibility."

She really hoped all that made sense.

Senate Building //
Chancellor's Suite
Auteme Auteme
Br8YpBr.png
As he listens to the young Jedi's answer and continues to look out across the plaza, the Chancellor can't help but smile. Emmen closes his eyes for a moment and nods, finding himself in perfect agreement with the padawan's assessment. It had always been important to him to stay humbled despite authority. To remain small, yet large.

"You are wise for your age," he says with a laugh, not expecting to get such a profound answers from the girl.

"Indeed you're right; it is terrifying," he admits, an expression determination overtaking him as he looks out across the skyline with a sudden sense of vigor, "the well-being of trillions of people hinge on the decisions made in this district. Sometimes in this very room. But even those of us with good intentions are not perfect, and certainly not all-knowing. We make mistakes, or fail to see things clearly. With every signature there's a hope for a better future, but also the risk of unexpected consequence."

Emmen turns to face away from the transparisteel, his face softening as he tilts his head to look down to Auteme, "You know, I feel the Jedi Order is not so different, in some ways. Your members are meant to be protectors of the people -- defenders of peace, knowledge and justice who, in times of great need, have rallied to fight against those who would bring death and despair. The Jedi have made choices throughout history that have rippled across the Galaxy -- some good, some bad; but most made with the best intentions."

He clasps his hands together and steps away from the window, beginning to pace the raised landing his desk sat upon while continuing to speak, "Both of our institutions carry a great deal of responsibility. I've been told that you spend most of your time in research and studies rather than practicing your dueling and combat arts? As a fan of history, I've always admired the dedication of the Jedi Order's lorekeepers. If I may ask, what is it that you hope to learn and what experience would you hope to gain among the staff of my Office?"

Last edited:

C O R U S C A N T

Auteme was pretty sure that she'd never been called wise before. She wasn't one to fish for compliments or praise, but she found that the Chancellor's words made her feel proud. It was nice to feel recognized, even for such a small thing -- most Jedi were much wiser than she was. It was just sort of a... thing that everyone accepted about Jedi. But Auteme never entirely saw herself as a Jedi. It was nice to be recognized for what she was.

The padawan listened intently to Tagge and was again amazed by his eloquence. If it hadn't been so informal, she probably would've replied to his earlier compliment with: 'It takes one to know one'. She thought staying formal was only right and proper to make a good first impression, so she waited until she was addressed again with a question before speaking.

Unfortunately the question she got was a little tough for her. She probably wouldn't admit it, but Auteme held the personal belief that there wasn't actually that much to learn from attending the Galactic Alliance's Senate, at least nothing on the surface. Still, leaving the Chancellor's question was a big no-no, so she started with the obvious. "Well... politics is fascinating, of course, and policy on a galactic level has always been one of the most intricate and interesting areas of study for me. Probably the most complex subject for anyone to study. Seeing it in person, instead of just theory and history... I think it will be very enlightening," she said.

"But to be completely honest... my personal motivation for being a part of this..." Auteme paused, then took a deep breath. Honesty about oneself was very difficult. "It's because I'm just not the same as a lot of the other Jedi. Everyone I know is good with a lightsaber and wants to fight the Sith. And that's important, but... I'm not very good at it, and it scares me, and... well, lately I haven't been doing a whole lot of helping. But I want to help people. Being part of this, this big thing that's bigger than me and can affect so many others... I'm small, but the smallest cog in a machine still keeps things running. The galaxy is bigger than the Jedi. I want to have an impact."

The padawan exhaled deeply, then glanced away, speaking much more faintly. "Also I've never had a job and the experience would be really good." She'd almost been passed over for her scholarship because of not having proof of work or volunteer experience. Obviously she needed to pad her resume a bit.

Senate Building //
Chancellor's Suite
Auteme Auteme
Br8YpBr.png
As a nobleborn and career politician the Chancellor is quick to determine a lack of genuineness to the first half of the padawan's answer. It felt hollow; like a series of half-truths. It isn't until Auteme finally admits her personal motivations that the Chancellor takes more interest in her response. He crosses his arms and comes to a stop in his pacing, bringing his right hand to tap at his chin as he considers her words.

"Well, we fight the Sith here too," he finally answers, turning his head to look at her; still standing at the window, "perhaps not with lightsabers, but we fight against the pain and suffering that they've caused. We fight them by uniting the people with our words and actions; by giving them hope.
"

The subject was one that was quite personal to the Chancellor. He'd struggled with the same problem after being medically discharged from the Tepasi Defense Force for his injuries -- afterall, how could he make a difference if he couldn't fight the enemy? But he'd learned a lot since then. Sometimes the most important battles were not fought on the field.

"Not every issue can be solved with laser-swords or a blaster. And it's okay to be scared; the galaxy is a scary place right now. But, we can work to fix that from here, just as they can from out there," he pairs the last statement with an up-tilt of his head to gesture toward the distant sight of the Coruscanti Temple.

Emmen lowers his hands and smiles, "I think you will do just fine here, Auteme. The Galactic Alliance needs people -- Jedi -- like you here on Coruscant, just as much as it needs Knight Ryv Ryv on the field of battle. We all have our place; we all make a difference in our own way."

Last edited:

C O R U S C A N T

Auteme listened intently to the Chancellor, and again found him eloquent and inspiring. It helped that she knew a little about his history. Emmen Tagge was no stranger to war, and Auteme was sure that the transfer from a military to civilian life was difficult. But there were always other ways to help. Not everyone could swing a saber, and not everyone needed to. Better yet, some people could do better without it.

And today, she was being offered an incredible chance to do her part. Senate scribe! Her heart danced a little, but she managed to stay still as he finished speaking. The job would basically be taking notes, organizing information, recording the verbatim meetings of the Senate. This was incredible! "Thank you, Chancellor Tagge," she said, a little quickly. The excitement threatened to jump out.

No, she'd never been a fighter, but the drive to help others ran deep. Here she could be part of the process to change things on an enormous scale. The role of Senate Scribe might seem insignificant, but she would do her best. She'd work hard and do whatever she could. It was far from the front lines where the others were saving lives. Instead from here she could work to make things better.

There was a slight pause before she leaned forward just barely, looking at the Chancellor. "I, um, I am working here now, right?" She wanted to be 100% clear.

Senate Building //
Chancellor's Suite
Auteme Auteme
Br8YpBr.png

Emmen couldn't help but let out a chuckle at the final question. The padawan's excitement radiated from her, even if she did her best to suppress it. He nods, the corners of his eyes wrinkled by the smile on his face.

"Yes, Auteme, that's right. You will be working in one of the offices here in the Executive Building," he looks out to the Senate District skyline once again, "It will be a shared office, of course, with some of the other scribes who work for the Office of the Chancellor. But as a favour to our mutual friend, and as a result of this pleasant meeting, I shall see to it that you are assigned to myself and the Vice Chair directly. This should make things more comfortable for you."

He turns his head to look down at the girl, "You can officially say that you're a representative of the Federal Assembly, employed by the Office of the Chancellor. You can report for your first day of training this coming Primeday. There's another senate hearing scheduled that day on the subject of the New Jedi Order; Ryv will be taking the stand to speak on the matter, so I'm sure you'll find it interesting. You're welcome to sit in the lower level of the Podium with the other representatives of my Office who will be attending."

C O R U S C A N T

A little squeak escaped her lips. Working! Not any work, either, she'd be taking notes. And it was official and everything. This was amazing. She was doing a very terrible job at hiding her excitement -- a wide smile was plastered on her face and refused to go away. Still, she managed to put together a few words of thanks without screaming or dancing. "Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity, Chancellor. I promise to do my best work," she said.

As for future plans, well, there was quite a bit going on. She mentally flipped through her schedule before shaking her head. "This next week is very busy for me... I'm actually heading to Metellos that day for some Jedi work. There's a lot going on, as I'm sure you know, with Ilum and the Zweihander Union..." At least, she assumed the Chancellor was well informed.

Whatever the case, Auteme bowed her head respectfully to Chancellor Tagge once more. "As soon as that's done, though, I'll be sure to be here as often as I can. Thank you." She was spending most of her time on Coruscant anyways due to her studies at the University. Despite her dedication to learning she knew that she already possessed most of the knowledge required of this semester, so she wasn't worried about missing classes.

With their meeting near concluded, Auteme would soon head off to get anything else she might need from the reception to certify herself as a representative of the Federal Assembly, employed by the Office of the Chancellor. Of all her little titles, she preferred Senate Scribe the most. It was something that felt like hers and hers alone, and that made her proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom