Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Bounty Hunting suggestion/s

Varm Nul

ꜰᴀsᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅʀᴀᴡ? ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ
Just following up from a suggestion I made here, regarding bounty hunting, and was wondering if the following might be possible:

1. To coincide with the bounty active toggle in profiles, could it be possible to have a section for bounty worth? Like custom titles, but for stating a character's value as a bounty (this could be UC specific, or not, depending)?

2. There's potential for a thread (for players who toggle bounty invasions on) to be made, which outlines some basic information for hunters to scan, before entering a thread. If this thread response is positive, could it be possible to have it stuck in the marketplace for ease of visibility/use?

Thanks for the consideration.

As a semi-prolific bounty hunter here 99.9% of the hunts you go on that are not set up beforehand, or even are set up beforehand, will end up with your target ghosting the thread. As a practical means in RP where no one wants their character to be the loser, bounty hunting is really hard as a result. I recommend trying to set up narratives (a criminal faction like the Hutt Space Consortium is good for this) where you can have opportunities to do some bounties that won't end in a salt fest, my two cents. Any board system really won't fix that much as seen with the literal implementation of a site currency yet still bounties being sort of lacking.

Probably the best example of a bounty hunt I can think of was the War on the Senate campaign done by the HSC, so they're a great place to go to if you want to do more bounty hunts.

With the first idea. If people determine their self worth for their bounty you'll see insanely high bounty rates that won't be paid out because people will want a high status of worth for their character while not being willing to hand over the high worth of UC, or simply refuse to lose. This is just my assumption of how that would play out.

I feel like a more open solution to bounty hunting, like we have currently, is pretty great. I feel like the issues with bounty hunting is that very few are taking the initiative to reach out to people with the toggle on.

The other issue is that most of the time the bounty SHOULD be on criminals, but as a bounty hunter on Chaos generally speaking your only friends and allies ARE the criminals, so you target whats left which happens to be space wizards who can can rightfully beat the hell out of hunters and get away giggling.

Would be awesome to see more hunters after criminals, but it's a small pool of characters and when hunters and criminals alike are allied with factions like the HSC, it makes it a tad difficult.

Could you elaborate on the second thought? What do you mean a thread for BHs to use to identify what to scan?

Varm Nul

Just to clarify, the first idea doesn't have to involve UCs, the imaginary galactic credit still lives on. So it could still be relevant to providing some info about that - not only that, but it could be where posted bounty amounts (via the bounty system) could be listed.

It doesn't only have to be pretend or made up. There is a system that the info can come from.

The second idea is like a info form, similar to the bounty form, but more OOC based and sharing info like:

• Char
  • Bounty amount (doesn't have to be UCs)
-Open to capture or not
- Thread toggle preference (open to BH invasion, prefer contact first, not private threads etc)

Things like that, just to clarify whatever the bounty toggle icon doesn't - and to let players outline any pertinent information for potential BHers looking to invade.

Tbh, if a bounty isn’t requiring UC, it’s a bs bounty. It’s a cultural thing for sure, but I’m making my stand against all these fake digit bounties. Nobody ever believed you guys, and y’all ruined the bounty system for years pretending you’re worth 3 trillion credits lmao. I get you had no regulation but c’mon man, Han Solo’s bounty was like in the 200,000’s.

It’s hard to automate a leaderboard for this, btw. And I’m not gonna do it. Be the change, my dude, it’d be cool to see.

Tefka Tefka , you can tell me to buzz off and make my own suggestion thread, but I had a thought I'd like to share that, barring technical difficulties with implementation, might be of interest.

Can we have the Bounty List based on the Top Monthly total of posts to see who is actually shaking things up month to month (or those who have too much time on their hands playing posting games instead of getting hunted) rather than those old accounts with thousands of posts that may or may not be active currently, or not as much anymore?

To tie this in with the current thread of bounty totals for those with the toggle on, perhaps have a UC total displayed for how much they've accrued since turning on the toggle? Or maybe how much UC they've made in the month so far if that's easier to implement? I suspect this particular line of thought probably isn't worthwhile to put effort towards, especially since that UC worth could just be dumped buying postbits, and a writer is under no obligation to give it to a hunter should they be allowed to succeed. I wouldn't dream of any official rules trying to enforce it. However, I am trying to stay on topic.

Maybe seeing fancy numbers go up will stimulate the right neurons.

Varm Nul

Fatty Fatty I was thinking more a profile input field - like custom title, biography link, etc - where someone could put monetary value for a bounty. I suppose the custom title field could serve that purpose, if people choose to.

Tefka Tefka Yeah, I'm very aware, I was one of the voices who suggested the bounty numbers were ridiculously high when (several) discussions happened in the past. As it stands, Jabba placed 224,190 on Han Solo, while the Empire put 60,000 on Luke (for destroying the Death Star) and 50,000 on Han. Though Leia came out on top with 10,000,000.

Anyway, suggestions be as suggestions are; thanks for looking.

Fatty Fatty
If it's based off top poster it can just be manipulated by spamming in posting games, and lacks any true reflection of a characters actions IC.

I feel like a community run effort would work better than an automated system. The most powerful tool we have on Chaos is the community itself. We've got the groundwork already, factions, marketplace, UCs, bounty toggle. All that's left is for the writers to take charge and use them

I don’t see much of a reason to automate bounties when Majors should be the ones representing themselves and the most activity the Bounty Hunters Guild gets is when they're posting in the Suggestion forum

Hacks Hacks kinda nailed it, good job you get a 2% bump this week

Fatty Fatty
If it's based off top poster it can just be manipulated by spamming in posting games, and lacks any true reflection of a characters actions IC.

I feel like a community run effort would work better than an automated system. The most powerful tool we have on Chaos is the community itself. We've got the groundwork already, factions, marketplace, UCs, bounty toggle. All that's left is for the writers to take charge and use them
Personally that sounds like a minority of posters, and easily "corrected" by just hunting all those silly post-gamers and distract their non-sense with actual role play. I would much prefer that to the potential for the list to stagnate with ghost accounts no longer in use. It isn't totally the case right now (I checked to confirm) but it will be an inevitability. Gimme real time stats, not outdated all time stats.

the most activity the Bounty Hunters Guild gets is when they're posting in the Suggestion forum
Hahaha, that's a good one because it's true :]

Also sad af lol

Varm Nul

I don’t see much of a reason to automate bounties when Majors should be the ones representing themselves and the most activity the Bounty Hunters Guild gets is when they're posting in the Suggestion forum

Hahaha, that's a good one because it's true :]

Also sad af lol

Never mentioned BHG in this suggestion. It was for bounty data, in general, and possibly showing the information more clearly.

That’s fine, I brought it up. Your suggestions aren’t being overlooked, don’t sweat it, but there are bigger issues with bounty hunting on the forum that are relevant to bounty hunting discussions. For example, crowd sourcing can compete with automation, especially for smaller scale data sets like user generated bounties. A BHG can provide a central location for organizing crowd sourcing.

Gimme real time stats, not outdated all time stats.

Naturally the most recent bounty target threads on marketplace will be at the top with outdated bounties falling past the first page, so that system is pretty much already there. You'll also see in threads characters who have toggle on and are actively writing. The only issue with dead end accounts having bounties on them is that no one is posting bounties on marketplace, so the only bounties currently listed on marketplace are all old and outdated.

Bounty hunting needs to be community driven. People need to post bounties, but hunters also need to take initiative and be proactive in their work rather than letting an automated system tell them what to do.

Hunters already have more tools than any other type of character archetype to do their job, over-engineering the system doesn't solve the issue with bounty hunting.

I'd love to help stir up activity in bounty hunting and get the ball rolling with the community, but I feel leaving it to a new system won't help, it'll just end us back here in another 6 months time wondering why bounty hunting is dead in the water.

This is similar to the Stock Exchange suggestion in that it’s basically requesting we script some automation, or is asking if we can. The answer is yes, it’s possible, but unlikely that I’ll devote unpaid IRL hours into making a leaderboard that takes UC requests for jobs, or acquires “target data” on possible targets.

Even if I ignored the large man hours a project like this would consume, it removes player interaction. You can easily go read a bio, they’re linked in profiles. You can find a player’s recent activity, they’re linked in profiles. You can find updated bounties, just make a thread asking for them.

My reasoning for bringing up the BHG is, I’ve introduced an entire economy of UC and Bounty Toggles through scripting. If it’s not popping off it’s because the writers aren’t pushing it. I can’t force writers to push it.

I'll also say for the Major Factionists reading, or UC high rollers, the problem I've experienced is not a lack of hunters/mercenaries. It's a lack of people using the Hunters/Mercs to their advantage.

I used Zori to spend UC on bounties a few months back and my DMs exploded within 24 hours. It was wildly successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom