Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest EU bull

Alan

Blessed are the peacemakers
In your opinion, which part of the EU do you find the most bullpoopery? Is it the Amarans? The Crystal Star debacle? Vader's glove and the triclopses?

The Clone Wars Movie?

THE SUN CRUSHER?

Carn Dista

C
YZV being allowed to live happily in the Galaxy after casually bending it over and fiddling with it's banthas in an entirely non-consentual way.

Things like Force Teleport, Force Flight, Tutaminis; basically any Force power that just sends things so far beyond the scope of what we see in the movies, it's like "Well if they could do that thousands of years ago, why the hell didn't they use it in the movies?"

Also what they did to the Jedi Exile and Revan. Sad, sad stuff.

The whole Sith Empire of TOR. Your magical exiles run off for 1300 years and suddenly return with modern technology somehow! How many exiled Vikings have you seen emerging from Iceland and conquering England?

The Vong. I don't like extra galactic invaders, and these ones were just silly.

Revan.

Honestly, I can swallow most of the crap pushed through into EU canon. What infuriates me the most are the people who use these obscure powers and materials, things that were used by a single, exceptional individual or a handful of people, and not only do they suddenly know it, but they're totally in control of it, have mastered all aspects of it, and are supposed to be these great Force Users now.

Stupid powers are generally introduced for a story. When you remove the story, you're just left with stupid powers used by stupid people. It's one thing to struggle with controlling your budding battle meditation or creating a single Force Illusion. It's a whole different game when you're a Padawan, or even a Knight, and you're walking around, supposedly altering battles on a system-wide level and dropping two dozen illusions that no even a Jedi Master is supposed to be able to see through.

The Force is far more powerful in the EU than it ever was in the movies. Palpatine was said to know every Force ability, and Yoda was the wisest Jedi in the Galaxy. Neither used teleport, or turned invisible, or any of the other ridiculous things.

My biggest complaint tends to be when EU stuff is "adapted" to "fit" into "canon." Let's see if I can add some more quotation marks to that.

Dathomir, which was a very interesting niche story about exotic Force users pursuing the Force through nontraditional means...gutted, the second LucasArts tried to make it "fit" into their personal "canon." Ryloth, a unique planet whose rate of rotation was identical to its rotation around its star...was not when LucasArts got a hold of it. Mandalorians, which were hurt enough by Karin bloody Traviss and her borderline-retarded Mary Sue storylines...suddenly pacifists. Wat.

EU can be derpy. EU when "fixed" by LucasArts is rage-inducing.

Alan

Blessed are the peacemakers
It seems like in the movies, the force was like, a great thing to be struggled to use.

For example, THE MOST POWERFUL FORCE USER EVERRRRRRRRR GOT REALLY, REALLY WINDED when he and Obi-Wan tried to force-push each other away. The only real thing that you can see actively them doing is using their muscles and whatnot to increase dexterity and whatnot.
Force Usage at about 1:46
[flash=250,210]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwy412nttI[/flash]

And then there's people who can just like fwoooooooooom all da time.

Major Faction

Syn

Nimir-ra to Iella, Jedi Shadow
Biggest rage inducing from the EU..... Thrawn... now hear me out. We got a great trilogy bringing Grand Admiral Thrawn to us and... at the end of it he died. A badass through and through, awesome, calculating and he died. Sad but okay his memory lives on... Then we started getting books that showed him before being Grand Admiral and at least for me... It kind of ruined it cause no matter how the situation seemed. I knew he was going to survive and die years later. It took all the excitement out of some of it.

Ornko'mad

The Mind Behind
I'm going to have to go with the Sun Crusher. Indestructible starfighter that shoots solar system destroying torpedoes? Have fun building any of that :p

The Galaxy Gun would also be pretty high on my list. If the cloned Emperor had followed the Death Star logic with that (They destroyed it? BUILD A BIGGER ONE!) he would have won easily, and it would become pretty much the only weapon used in warfare.

The worst part about Unleashed is that it contributed exactly one thing to the SW storyline. Shaak-Ti's death scene. She already had three, and it was nice to have some clarification. Everything else it did was superfluous...but worse yet, it's implanted this stupid effing idea into everyone's head that slinging tanks around with your mind without breaking a sweat is something EVERY Force user can do.

It is NOT. Galen Marek is a fantasy-fulfillment Mary Sue, not a reliable plot character.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
"I'm telling an old myth in a new way. ...That's how you pass down the meat and potatoes of your society to the next generation." - George Lucas

This easily understandable statement by the genre's founder means nothing to the EU. The EU is about selling items, trinkets, and media to the all-consuming public. It is not Star Wars. It's consumerism. In a way. The EU is our society. Spoken as an American. It's Entertainment Consumerism. It's not Science Fiction Fantasy anymore. It's us. And it makes me sad that we've stopped striving for moral understanding anymore. We just accept what we are given. And what we were handed was the EU. And it stinks. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom