Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Best-laid plans (Kyra Perl)

Caedyn Arenais

C
"No matter how carefully a project is planned,
something may still go wrong with it."

Purple.png

Destination: Arcadia-N-30
Objective: Investigate alleged Dark Side Nexus
Company: Kyra Perl Kyra Perl

SM.png

Since the collapse of the Outer Planets Alliance, many systems and peoples within the Outer Rim Territories have been forced to fend for themselves. Aware of this however, the Silver Jedi Concord has reached out to the general public to reiterate their ability to provide humanitarian aid and assistance to those who may be in great need of it.

Many of the Planets and Nations within the Outer-Rim seem determined to keep to themselves, however among the few that responded to the Silver Jedi, one particular case was placed in front of the Jedi Knight Caedyn Arenais, of whom Kyra Perl Kyra Perl would accompany as his Padawan and prospective Knight one day herself.

According to the report, the Government of Arcadia have encountered what they believe to be a Force Nexus that previously didn't exist to their knowledge. Initially they had discard the issue as mere rumor, yet when people started to go missing near the area, they were forced to send out a team to investigate. They too never returned, nor were heard of again.

Having lost too many good folk already, Arcadia decided to take up the offer of the Silver Jedi Concord's assistance.

fPu2h3f.gif

Enroute for Arcadia-N-30
There had been a lot going on lately, both for Caedyn and for his Padawan, Kyra who had been battling with her own demons of late, while Caedyn himself had taken to a variety of jobs in order to keep himself busy and do what good he could for the people outside of Silver Space. With the recent decline of the Outer Planets Alliance, his attention had turned to World's like Svivren and Jutrand, reaching out in order to ensure that there remained a Jedi presence in the Outer Rim Territories, yet now without the overarching government, even they seemed to be run off their feet with assignments and requests for aid.

It had been difficult to accept, the different paths that seemed to be laid out for them, at least temporarily; Caedyn hadn't been fond of the idea that Kyra Perl would be taking on a burden as heavy as her Sister's fall to the Darkside, especially without himself to be there alongside her for the hardships that would come of it. He himself had experienced plenty of loss, as well as the struggle of trying to bring someone back to the light, and didn't envy his Student for what he expected would be one of the biggest challenges she would come to face in her time as a Jedi.

Despite this however, Caedyn knew that there needed to remain some semblance of normality and cooperation between them, a shared pursuit for the betterment of the Galaxy beyond them, as well as time spent together, serving as Master and Padawan as was expected of them. Truth be told, he had missed having his Padawan on these assignments, and despite understanding that she was coming into her own, no longer the child that he had first taken under his wing, Caedyn still needed to be a presence in her life. If not for the duty of it, then for his own peace of mind and fondness for she who had become a part of his family nowadays.

Leaving Lexas to pilot the Repertoire to their destination, Caedyn moved further back in the Corvette, a rather large and comfortable vessel considering it was the Jedi Knight's personal transport. He had neglected to take the Vagabond out, as the Cruiser was best put to use upon the border patrol of Silver Space, where as Caedyn didn't expect they'd need such a strong presence for this sort of assignment.

"How're you doing Kiddo?" Caedyn grinned as he approached Kyra, figuring now was as good'a time as any to check in with her before the assignment would begin and they'd be too busy to catch up on old times. Of course, they weren't far from Arcadia, but there was time enough to ensure his Padawan wasn't quietly losing her mind over recent tribulations.

Kyra had grown very use to stillness. It seeped into her daily tasks, her once bustling and vibrant life falling as still and empty as the space they traveled through. Caedyn's presence was a warm spot on an otherwise cold horizon. She had missed him. Mostly. While she had forgiven him for his sudden disappearance to track down his father's killer, it did not change what had occurred in his absence.

Kyra was quieter, no longer a ball of bustling energy and words.

Some might think she was still lost-- lost to the loss of her sisters, and the loss of her arm. While it was true, she wasn't the same vibrant girl that descended onto the battle of Yurb, every day she grew stronger. Every day she found a bit more control over herself and the grief she bore. The world had settled for her, the static clearing. For the first time the girl was seeing the galaxy clearly.

Or so she thought.

She gave Caedyn a tight smile, still drawn to the warmth of his presence. The empath couldn't help her comforts. The time they were set to spend as Master and Padawan was a bit like sipping hot coco on a cold winter's day: familiar, but fleeting. Worth cherishing for the moment.

"I'm okay," she answered honestly, clearing out the cobwebs in her voice. The brisk chill of windows she stood by gave her a slight shiver. She reached into the strength of the imbued object on her body: arm, necklace, saber, and warmed herself with tapas with barely a thought. Six month ago she couldn't have if she tried. Today she took a deep breath, stepping closer to him.

"No more of your Rangers this time, huh? Does that make this easy or... tricky?"

Caedyn Arenais

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

Caedyn nodded once in response to hearing Kyra was doing alright; He was certain the state of all things having been going on around them both were a little too complicated to simply put down to 'being okay' but he had learned not to question these things unless absolutely necessary, as the younger teen didn't respond too well to having her vulnerabilities and fears or doubts brought up in every conversation they shared. They both relied upon a healthy middle-ground and he had faith that were she to need his advice or ear on something, she'd speak up.

"No, no Rangers with us this time" He smiled, "This assignments less of a military operation and more of a Jedi concern. Until we reach Arcadia, it's just us and Lex who's a far better pilot than he is a conversationalist" Caedyn chuckled softly, sparing a glance back towards the corvette's cockpit and thinking of the droid and it's mechanical overtone every time they got into a scrap or questionable situation.

"I figured we could use the time to prepare for the mission ahead" he continued, "Get you briefed on our mission parameters and also make sure we're going in clear headed...-On the same page and all that" He smiled still, pleased to be getting what seemed to be a more typical mission in with his Padawan once again, unlike the recent months since the Invasion of Yurb.

"Arcadia reached out to the Concord reporting what they believe to be a Dark Side Force Nexus having appeared in a previously wild and uninhabited area of the planet. People have gone missing which first caught the government's attention and so they sent in a scouting party failed to return" Caedyn informed his Padawan, seeming a little skeptical about the suspected Force Nexus; "Apparently their Seers confirmed the Nexus' presence, although from experience, they don't just take form out of nowhere".

Good. Kyra didn't like working with large groups. It felt like too much to take in and consider. Her fingers wrapped around the pendant at her neck, the crystal pulsing light under her fingers in response. It was a curious object: unlike many other kybers she had come across in the past. It connected her to her heritage. Or so her father said. It's strong force alignment and imbuement grounded her. She frowned at Caedyn's words, looking up at him.

"You mean like we did at Yurb? But that took all of us. ... There's not like, a sith cult out there, is there?" She turned, scanning the screens for bit of data that could give hints towards that question. Of course, if there was a force cult sitting known on the planet, Caedyn would have said so from the start. The concept stuck to the roof of her mouth regardless, refusing to be dismissed. She had known a cult or two in the past. Intimately in fact. It was no secret she feared them. They had tried to turn her once. Her fingers tightened over the crystal, her throat bobbing in place.

"A single person can't make one, right?"

Caedyn Arenais

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

Caedyn nodded in agreement, He had forgotten that the battle against the Bryn'adul had resulted in a Force Nexus over the World of Yurb. It was a natural phenomenon, when the presence of the Force is so strong that it leaves behind a residual field in place of such extreme circumstance most often during times of great conflict between Force Users, or otherwise years of training and isolated practice.

"Much like that yes" Caedyn confirmed, "Although this one seems to have come out of nowhere and with no apparent signs nor warning, it does seem unusual...-Hence why they're sending a Jedi team to investigate rather than the Antarian Rangers" he smiled to his Padawan a little. It was always nice to take pause and appreciate their ability to help, knowing that they were both indeed capable of seeing their objective through.

"That's also a possibility and not something we should forget" Caedyn added with the mention of there being others involved in possible foul play, "We don't know how or why this Nexus has formed. If it is a Nexus at all..." he pointed out, his smile fading while turning to spare a glance back in the direction of the Cockpit, silently considering their droid pilot for a moment.

"Trust in your instincts, Kyra" He turned back to her, giving a nod of approval for her insight as to what might be awaiting them; "If something feels off, there's usually a good reason as to why you're feeling that way".

"Well, something's off," Kyra stated, a bit more bluntly and self-assured than usual, but filled with rare confidence all the same. Of course, he already knew that. That's why he had her here.

"Maybe like, a really big bad holocron, or-... a sith beast." It was times like these she wished she had paid more attention in those vital classes back on Silver Rest. Acaadi would have more to offer than 'Sith Beast'. He would have suspicions. Game plans. Solutions. Here she had a vague guess and some hand gestures. She shot Caedyn an embarrassed glance. Every day felt like another step further from her place as a knight, each new experience reminding her just out of her depth she was.

The fact that he let her leave with Thirdas to scope out for her sister, without him... well at times, it still surprised her. She must be a really good actress...

She rubbed the back of her neck, pulling out her paddie braid and fixing it across her shoulder as she spoke. "But what happens if it is-- it is a cult." With just two of them, surely they could not handle it.

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

His Padawan's first encounter against the Sith Cult that had occurred just weeks before he had taken her under his wing had been a trauma that had haunted her for a long time, Caedyn understood. Thankfully, Cultists weren't the type to come out into the public spotlight, a rare encounter for most people of the Galaxy; However the same could be said for the appearance and formation of a Force Nexus, so it wasn't out of the question.

"If there is a presence of the Sith down on Arcadia then we will need to report it" Caedyn responded, glancing back to his Padawan and gauging her reaction as he elaborated, "The Silver Concord will need to be made aware of their presence, and we be advised on how to handle the situation from there".

So far, theirs was a simple investigation mission to ascertain the validity behind the alleged Force Nexus. Most typical citizens didn't have the capacity or attunement to the Force to be able to decipher the presence of a Nexus from any otherwise natural environment; Caedyn had to bury his skepticism over the assignment in need of appearing professional before the job, yet he remained conscious of the fact that these things didn't just appear on their own, let alone start to abduct civilians...

"The disappearance of locals doesn't exactly have me thrilled" Caedyn voiced the suspicion to his Padawan, Kyra Perl Kyra Perl ; "Whether it be Sith, pirates or the wildlife of Arcadia itself, there's a lot of possibilities we could go over in the time it takes for us to arrive" he forced a half smile, "My old Master used to tell me to focus on what was happening in front of me, during times like these back when I was a student" he added with a light sense of humor.

"I guess we'll see what we see, when we see it" He concluded, giving a soft chuckle at the sound of it; "If there's anything you need to do, or want to discuss together though, best we do so soon. We can't be far off from Arcadia".

Oh riiiiiiiiiiiight. You're suppose to report your findings, then wait for Order's instructions. Kyra always skipped right to trying to fix chit... which was probably why it usually ended up more broken.

She cleared her throat, silently vowing to pay special attention to Caedyn throughout this mission. What she didn't pay attention to at Silver Rest, maybe she could pick up now?

If there's anything you need to do, or want to discuss together though, best we do so soon. We can't be far off from Arcadia".

"No," she murmured back, a small wave of frustration coming to tone. "Nothing now." Though should there be? Her brows were set in fiery determination, her eyes darting in small jerks to and fro as she strained to think back. What did she need to know? What was vital? Her eyes lit up, lips parting.

"Oh! What do you know about shapeshifters?"

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

Kyra's question was rather out of the blue, certainly not what Caedyn had been expecting to hear, yet he did have one recent run-in with those she was asking him about; "Curiously enough, I may have run into one recently" he gave a huff of an exhale through his nostrils, a wary smile in light of the subject and his uncertainty around the occurrence that had taken place back home on Commenor.

"My Sister's being hunted by the Eternal Empire over in the western regions of the Galaxy and from what we've managed to piece together, there's a changeling among them that conveniently bumped into me in Chasin City, asking about my family" He explained, giving a little further context to the matter; "I have to say that the acting was quite brilliant. I wouldn't have known the wiser had it not been for Lori informing me that there was no such person within her rebel group of that description. This particular shifter had told me they were close friends...", it was a little disappointing when Caedyn had learned the truth of the farce. He had found the woman to be rather attractive, and her wanting to stay and converse with him had been something of a confidence boost at the time.

"Why do you ask?" he glanced back to his Padawan somewhat intrigued, wondering whether or not her question was in any part related given the irony of the timing.​

Concern blossomed from Kyra's chest, the concept that they were all being played crossing her mind at once. "Uuuuuuuuuuuh, only that my sister was taken away by one?" Her tone elongated the question, a bit of a 'shit this is obviously bad, can't you see' mixing into the way she dragged her vowels.

"What'd they look like? Was their name Adrian? Did they ask about me? What'd the want to know-- did you kill em?" Came the sudden ramble of questions, the padawan bursting out into a sudden frenzy as they deceleration to the planet's ground.

She whirled on him, eyes wide and wild. "What if it's all connected?" She demanded.

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

Caedyn Arenais stifled a quiet laugh in response to Kyra's sudden burst of anxiety and the need to know further about the incident on Commenor. There were moments such as these that while out of harms way, the Jedi Knight could appreciate the enthusiasm and energy of his Padawan, Kyra Perl Kyra Perl 's thirst for answers, looking to unravel the mysteries behind her experiences in the field of duty.

"As far as I'm aware, this was related to the Eternal Empire and my Sister Lori's involvement in the Rebellion of the western regions of the Galaxy, however we can never be too safe so perhaps we should inform the Shadow's once we return, just to make sure we're covered" Caedyn replied with a slight smile, eyeing his Padawan with a hint of pride for how far she had come since day one.

"Truthfully, she was Human and quite attractive at that" Caedyn answered her question, giving something of a smirk as he expected she would detest the thought of her Master getting flirtatious with anyone. It had never gone that far of course, Caedyn had kept things completely professional and Sarisa Varos ( Ingrid L'lerim Ingrid L'lerim ) had remained a friendly yet brief companion before they'd parted ways; "Sarisa...-Varos" Caedyn continued, "Was the name she gave me...-Although I suspect that to be a lie now, since having spoken with my Sister".

Kyra crinkled her nose at the thought of her Master getting flirtatious with anyone.

"Ew," was all she said, plain and simple.

"Well how do you know she was human? If she was a shapeshifter, aren't they more like bugs? I suppose they could all just lie..." Which made her wonder what you were ever meant to do against one. Or how to even know you were up against one.

"Do they have any tells?" She asked after a thoughtful moment. "Like scared of light-- can't drink water-- blue blood?" Ok the last one would just be cool. She braced herself as they connected to the landing pad, at ease in space travel now a days. She didn't even have to be plastered off the flight deck windows as they went. She was all very nonchalant now. Or at least she tried to be.

Caedyn Arenais

C
SM.png

"Well...That's the only experience I've had with one I'm afraid" Caedyn replied, giving a slight shrug in uncertainty. Caedyn's concentration was removed of the discussion as the transport shuddered, landing in place upon the loading bay.

The engines gradually died down and the vessel fell silent leaving the Jedi Knight to stand and turn back to his Padawan with a gentle nod in encouragement. "Time to get to work then" he said with a smile to Kyra, a look that would speak of his confidence in their pairing and capabilities as a team.

Outside of the transport there was a land-speeder awaiting them with a man seated in the drivers seat with the engine running on idle. Gesturing for Kyra Perl to climb in, Caedyn rounded the speeder to take the front passenger seat greeting their driver who was to take them out to the wilderness where the area was supposedly shrouded in the alleged Force Nexus.

On their way their companion explained the recent happenings. By his word, he recounted the authorities heading out into the woodlands after a hunting party failed to return. Furthermore the search team also failed to check in and after a third disappearance, the Silver Jedi Concord had been contacted for assistance as rumors had begun to spread regarding the Dark Side and ominous black hooded figures prowling the outskirts of rural communities.

You woulda thought after the second party, they wouldn't have sent out a third. Maybe it was just Kyra, but life had long since taught her that doing the the same failed actions on repeat was just setting her up for a world of pain.

She woulda thought trained soldiers would have already gotten that message. Guess not.

Kyra sat behind Caedyn, snorting to herself as she realized they were about to repeat the soldiers same mistake, the only difference was their assumption that they were simply better because they were jedi. The concept sat uncomfortably in her stomach, her fingers tightening on the hilt of her saber as she took a deep breath.

"Master," she finally murmured, leaning forward as the wind whipped by. "What would the order do if we didn't come back too?"

Caedyn Arenais

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

"Here's hoping we don't need to find out" Caedyn replied as the Land-Speeder slowed to a halt and their driver pointed towards the path that appeared man-made, leading further into the tree's where the branches themselves seemed to hang over almost as if reaching for those who walked below.

Caedyn stared down the path for a moment, soon glancing back to his Padawan and giving her a slight nod. It was time for their real assignment to begin, and so he disembarked from the vehicle, thanking their driver who assured them that he would await their return.

The wilderness was eerily silent as the two would begin to walk through the foliage, Caedyn alongside Kyra Perl with his Lightsaber hilt held in one hand yet keeping the weapon deactivated for the time being.

"The difference between us and the locals is that we're trained for this sort of engagement" the Jedi Knight reminded his Padawan, keeping his eyes forward and paying careful attention to their surroundings; "The Force is with us, Trust it to guide your feelings, your instincts...".

He didn't answer her question.

Kyra wasn't one to startle, not anymore. Still, she couldn't help the moment of hesitation, questioning her capacity to do better than those before them. If only being a jedi made everything so easy, she'd use the force on everything. She swallowed hard and walked after him, deep subtle, deep breaths as they went.

"The Force is with us, Trust it to guide your feelings, your instincts...".

Her instincts said she was hungry. Her stomach growled, a fact she did not point out to him. Instead she scattered up to his pack and fished out of his bag's side pocket, stealing a meal bar as they want. She spoke around her bites, breaking the silence as she scanned the path they walked.

"Let's say it's not a nexus. Then what would we be looking for? Are we just walking until we're attacked, cause I got this new life-force scanner in my arm..."

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

"If this isn't a Force Nexus, which I suspect it's not...-Given the suddenness of the alleged appearance of one, then I'd say the question isn't what, but who we're looking for..." Caedyn turned to give Kyra Perl Kyra Perl a pensive glance. The young woman wasn't as oblivious to the realities and risks of their profession, not nearly so compared to her younger days. Weeks that had originally been spent training in long physical routines and hours of study within the archives had become one assignment after the next, her learning turning to the benefit of field experience as was typical for all senior students within the Order.

"With the disappearance of the local populace, not only civilian but law enforcement too then we can assume any contact should be treated as potentially armed and dangerous..." Caedyn added, likely only echoing the truth that his Padawan already suspected; "We are however trained for circumstance such as these and you've come a long way since that incident with the Cultists you mentioned earlier" he concluded, seeking to reassure and encourage Kyra forward in the case that her concerns might be threatening to distract her from the objective set out before them.

"Go ahead and use that scanner of yours" He soon replied, not having realized that her biotic arm had come with such capable modifications; "Best we communicate telepathically for the time being" he added, "Sound to a minimum" he gave Kyra a final concluding nod as they continued on through the woodland's darkened pathway.

Right. She was leaking her lack of confidence again, huh? She had been working on that. Ever since that day at Romi's bedside, she had been utilizing the 'fake it until you make it' concept in near every aspect of her life. Sometimes she thought she did it a little too well. She guessed today was the universe balancing itself.

She made herself chew her last bites with almost rhythmic intent, taking the moment to consciously try and quiet her thoughts. This mental self awareness was a new skill of hers, and times like this it took more effort than not. She tucked away the wrapper, the crinkling plastic the last bit of noise to come from her as she followed his instructions and fell quiet.

She kept at his side, fussing with the arm controls she wasn't entirely familiar with yet. Red lines jumped up over her arms, a holoprojection of all the heat sources around them moving in sync with where she pointed the cybernetic. She elbowed Caedyn, not the most familiar with what the readings were showing her.

Caedyn Arenais

C

SM.png

Kyra's cybernetic arm was still something that Caedyn was struggling to accept, finding it instead to be much easier in denial and ignoring the fact rather than accepting that he had allowed her to accompany him straight into the chaos on Yurb. Back then, as he had with Joza Perl, he had also defended the decision to Kyra in saying that it was part of their duty and part of her coming into the later stages of her senior years as a Padawan...-And yet while this was all true, it didn't dissolve the guilt in the back of his mind that he often faced when looking at the arm replacement such as now.

It only took a short moment to familiarize himself with her sensor data, heat signatures being the process of elimination in where the module would detect life within a certain radius of their position. "Hm, right..." Caedyn muttered under his breath, "These smaller weaker readings are probably the wild life in these parts" he pointed out as the pair of them walked, albeit a little slower while they were looking over her sensory attachment. Quite frankly the modification was rather helpful and he couldn't help but be impressed with the manufacturer, whoever they were.

"Wait, hang on..." Caedyn frowned as he gestured to a stronger reading. There was only one at first yet as they continued to move there gradually become several others causing the Jedi Knight's expression to harden and his gaze to leave the cybernetic arm and instead look off ahead of their path. His Padawan would no doubt feel the swell of power in the Force that was drawn towards them, Caedyn calling upon it's influence to strengthen his own senses and try and get a feeling for their possible targets.

Fear. Anger...-Surprise and a sudden sense of desperation and alarm.

"Blast, they've sensed us as well" Caedyn hissed under his breath, pointing across to the side of the path that was Kyra's and signaling for her to find temporary cover while he took up a position behind the dark trunk of the tree closest to him and poised himself in silence, listening attentively ahead for any shouting or evidence that they'd been spotted.

Where there hadn't been any sign of a nexus before, the darkness that crept over the wilderness around the pair grew incredibly dense and the air grew difficult to draw upon in breath. The Dark Side of the Force expanded on all sides around the pair, and growing ever stronger, the sudden flair of crimson lightsabers lit up the night, two behind where they had come from and one standing ahead of them.

A snap-hiss followed, and the cyan blade that was Caedyn Arenais Lightsaber ignited in a blaze as he moved to engage the pair that had somehow gotten around behind the Jedi. "Stand down immediately!" Caedyn called to the three of them, his voice firm with authority despite his sudden concern and awareness for his Padawan's position nearby, "No one has to die today".

The three figures dressed in dark robes, all hooded and armed with lightsabers did not comply. Instead, the two before Caedyn lunged forward while the third of the men turned his attention upon Kyra Perl Kyra Perl and moved to attack without further pause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom