Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler ANDOR: THE THREAD

Another week, another banger!

I don’t think I’ve ever been more scared of the Empire than when watching those prison scenes. It’s true, effective, competent authoritarianism that carries far more weight than the random, bumbling evil we see in so many other Star Wars products. Even when trying to analyze it, I fail to see any obvious or glaring flaws in the prison’s function. I have no idea how Andor is going to escape, even after thinking of it for a while, and not knowing that is such an amazing, refreshing feeling!

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
My theory is stealing some boots in a concentrated effort along with some other prisoners.

Also, this series is single-handedly elevating Star Wars again, and the franchise should acknowledge and respect that.

I walked into Andor expecting 20%.
And I watched Andor getting 100%.
This show is definitely already 10/10.
I very much look forward to the end.

The acting is, frankly, brilliant to me.
Granted, against others I'm comparing.
As in, some shows actors are like looking
At the camera instead of just acting, I think.

Take Syril Karn for instance of what I mean.
Kyle Soller, his actor, easily convinced me
With his performance to care about this
Character. That's what good acting is.

It ties into the show's very storytelling.
The actors are diverse enough in their
Service to the plot, each one driving
Beside music and such of which I care.

Little to say for the score but that's okay.
To me the music sounds Star Wars any day.
Of course, other elements like camera at play.
Camerawork, special effects, it's all good, I say!

My theory is stealing some boots in a concentrated effort along with some other prisoners.

Also, this series is single-handedly elevating Star Wars again, and the franchise should acknowledge and respect that.
He's cutting the power cable to the factory floor. At least I'm fairly confident that is what he is doing in the bathroom.

Which is the only serious flaw with the prison, putting junction boxes out of sight.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Yeah possible since their plan seems to be catching a guard by surprise.

Turns out not!

Didn't anticipate that plan, since I figured water was dangerously conductive. Great episode, though I can't help but remember that some of those heroic prisoners are still prisoners, with arguably many being there for legit - and potentially terrible - reasons...

Still.

Andor is a great series, I'm really enjoying it.

Turns out not!

Didn't anticipate that plan, since I figured water was dangerously conductive. Great episode, though I can't help but remember that some of those heroic prisoners are still prisoners, with arguably many being there for legit - and potentially terrible - reasons...

Still.

Andor is a great series, I'm really enjoying it.
I am proven wrong, and couldn't be happier. Banger of an episode.

So I finally got my ass in gear and finished watching this. My feelings are...mixed. It may well be the second best live action SW show...but that's thin pickings.

The acting, sets, music and settings were all great. There was enough money on screen to make it believable and for it not to seem cheap like some of the other series have. Luthen and Mon Mothma especially were very well done, and I enjoyed their plots a lot. I really liked the inclusion of the ISB too.

The big problems for me was pacing and tone.

Pacing...this did not need to be 12 episodes. You could have cut this down to 8 or even 6 punchy episodes and made it faster. Instead we're treated to essentially 3 mini-series of episodes; Ferrix, the heist, the prison. I'd argue the prison was very interesting but felt out of place in this setting. The heist though seemed to have very small payout for the long stretches of arguing in a forest which went on. The first two episodes on Ferrix too were very slow, laboured and dragged.
And then of course once the prison and the heist are over those characters are nearly discarded and it's barely mentioned again.

Tone...the entire prison sequences felt like a different dystopian sci-fi series, not Star Wars. To me it went against the essential original trilogy era look and feel. There was also a distinct lack of aliens or 'Star Wars' tokens. I don't need fanservice like Vader, I just want some more recognisable iconography like Stormtroopers - though this was remedied a bit in the finale.

Overall it was good, but in bits. Scenes and even episodes worked well for me in isolation but the whole they built to was slow and strangely unfulfilling. I have a lot of questions obviously left for the next series. I'm not praising it as the best thing ever, but it's better than Obi-Wan and Book of Boba Fett. So likely a 7/10?

Unequivocally the best Star Wars. A show that acknowledges the viewers can handle complex themes and messages. Epitomizes show don’t tell. Potentially top three spy thriller tv shows of all time, with the likes of The Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom