Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler ANDOR: THE THREAD

I have been seriously impressed by the show thus far. I was already optimistic heading into it, as Rogue One is by far my favorite thing Star Wars has put out since the Disney acquisition, but wow did they exceed my expectations. It has a consistent well-delivered tone, and I love the mature, slow burn narrative.

Already my favorite by far. It's just a good show that also happens to be Star Wars. I'm hardly the first to sing such praises, but I'll gladly spread the word any chance I get. Here's to more content on this level

Hot take, but they should have released it three episodes at a time.

It is definitely a slow burn, more mature and with insinuated 'mature situations', so it is not really a family show - unless you have older kids. So I will admit that this is a major downside for me. Star Wars shows and movies are largely shared experiences under my roof. I have watched Andor alone.

Asides from that, I cannot say I have felt tension in a movie or episode of Star Wars like that last episode ever. Ever. It was fantastic. Not quite sure I got the euphoric fist pumping 'yeah' moment I wanted to release that tension, but the tension was fantastic nonetheless.

Andor is top tier Star Wars, so far. Will see if it reaches 'last four episodes of Clone Wars' level in the back half of the season.

Last edited:
Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
I will admit that after Kenobi and Boba... I was meh about Andor. He was interesting in Rogue one... presented an idea of the rebels not always being on the side of the angels within that first five or so minutes when we meet him... but I believe it was Val who saaid they were not sure if they would follow through with some of the themes.... and I will not say I dislike it it just hasn't gotten me to want to binge it or rewatch it.... yet.

With an actual thought this time.

Andor greatly benefits from a lack of pandering and referencing. It's a story set in the Star Wars universe and that's all it's trying (and succeeding) to be.

I liked the other shows. Had fun with them, but none of them hold a candle to Andor.

The slow burn is so great as it's not really something we've ever gotten in Star Wars before. But, not only does it give you the time to have the little character building moments like the conversations between the rebels who in any other piece of Star Wars media would have had maybe one or two lines of dialogue, but it also allows the show to really focus on the environment and atmosphere. I love being able to take in the sets they've built for the show.

I absolutely was not hyped or interested in Andor at all prior to its release or for the first week or two after the first three episodes came out due to the disappointments that were Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi, but wow has Andor really got me looking forward to each new episode. Happy to have something Star Wars to be excited for again.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
It's the best Star Wars television series, save that Mandalorian (for me) is nipping at Andor's heels.

From a writing perspective, I enjoy that Gilroy is scripting as though the audience have a degree of intelligence. Exposition is kept to a minimum, conclusions from viewers can be made, assumptions correctly guessed, and that is a statement to the writing and directing actually having a unified collaboration.

Writer sets a scene tone, a goal, the director makes it happen. The pacing is on point, and I know critics have complained about it being slow, and 'not much happening' in episodes, but I disagree; presentation of action or movement does not only equate to development, sometimes showing an episode intermingled with people, locations, interactions help drive home latter narrative pay offs.

Like the alarm bell guy? I don't know who he is, but I really like him. He loves his job and I respect that.

Like the 2 episode build up to the heist? It got me to care about the other characters involved, maybe not to the same degree as Andor personally, but enough so that when deaths or betrayal happened, I thought 'oh shit' and felt something. There has been none of that for other Disney SW shows or movies for me, so far, post-Rogue One. Except in Mandalorian, when Kuiil died trying to get the child to safety on the ship (via the Imperial scouts).

I also thoroughly enjoy that Andor is unapologetically ruthless, and that that theme has been maintained from Rogue One. He's a mercenary, first and foremost, a survivor. That will likely develop into his dedication to the rebel ideal throughout the rest of this series, but I like that it's recognized as a core component of the character without being influenced by the rebellion. The rebellion gives Andor a goal, it doesn't radicalize or alter him into an anti-hero, because he already is one.

Someone crosses him? Andor shoots them.

It's refreshing. It's gritty. It's lathered in a greater level of writing without being needlessly fan serviced or overly reliant on throw backs. No stormtroopers? No problem, there has always been more to the Empire, not just bucket heads. Seeing more inner workings of the ISB has been a treat, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the involvement with K-2SO and subsequent banter.

As I mentioned above, Mandalorian comes a close second.

Beyond that, the rest has been hot garbage made for consumption and character assassination (Boba Fett was treated criminally in 'his' series), and that includes non-SW shows as well.

It doesn’t beat Mandalorian or Clone Wars for me on entertainment value, but I agree that it fills a void and provides a freshness that has been missing. It doesn’t feel like a roleplayer is writing these episodes, like during Obi-Wan, finally. It feels like they’re putting some serious oomph into it.

We seriously needed a slower, more mature burn. No lightsabers, no fanfare, just live and breathe in the world. Andor does this very well.

This week's episode was fantastic. Absolutely loved the Coruscant stuff. So glad they had Cassian loop back around to where he started. I was concerned we were going to go on another 3 episode arc elsewhere. Much prefer this structure.

The following statement is bait and yet sincere:

Andor is the best a Star Wars show has ever been, by a serious margin.
Strongly agree, I was on the verge of not watching anymore after Kenobi, but Andor is just absolutely incredible. I’m not sure if it was the lack of pressure to put constant cameos in or what, but they are able to put out episodes that constantly ratchet up the tension with every episode.

It’s a spy thriller that just happens to be set in Star Wars and not Star Wars stuffed into a spy thriller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom