Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Unexpected Journey [Théodred]

2nbd5jd.jpg
Tháinbroek, Midvinter

Since the loss of their great High King and subsequent coronation of the firstborn son of the Dawnbringer, the Realm of Midvinter has been slowly mending her wounds and repairing what was broken during the Vinterbound invasion. High King Thyrian declared shortly after his coronation that no further bloodshed may be spilled on Midvinter soil for an entire year, and that all ongoing clan disputes be rendered null and void. The Valkyri have fought amongst themselves for untold millennia, seeing how they're the sole sentient lifeform on the planet and they all share a passion for brawling and boasting. Perhaps under the rule of Hearthfire they may learn to direct their urges towards a common enemy not of this world.

Walking up the steps leading to the Great Hall of Tháinbroek, Thurion Heavenshield and his son Théodred have journeyed to their ancestral homeworld for a very specific reason. Théo was born on Midvinter and has spent much of his youth here. He had been raised a Valkyri, and so for him to take on the mantle of an adult he had to accomplish that which all eager youths of Midvinter seek to accomplish: To sail across the Great Maw and weather the unbridled elements. Seeing how neither Thurion or his brother Thyrian had accomplished this task, both saw it fitting that they should accompany Théo across the mighty ocean.

As father and son reached the summit and stood before the ornate wooden doors, Thurion placed an arm around Théo's shoulders and pulled him in close. "Go easy on him, son. No doubt he's been tested far worse than either of us since last we saw each other." He gave the lad a nudge with his elbow along with a smile before the guards stationed on either side of the doors were given the signal to open them. "Glory to you, Thanes," one of them greeted the two Heavenshields in thick Runian accent, to which Thurion bowed in his usual Jedi way.

Upon stepping inside, he was glad to rid himself of the cold as the many hearths were all fully ablaze. Shaking off the snow which had gathered upon his shoulders, Thurion wasted little time in entering the secondary set of doors leading to the throne room where his brother awaited them. His initial urge was to call out to him the moment he sat foot inside, but quickly stopped himself when he noticed Thyrian seemingly busy discussing some matter of importance with a couple of chieftains. Not looking to draw his brother's attention, Thurion quietly closed the doors behind him and Théo as they entered. "Come along," he spoke softly as the two slowly approached from the far end of the hall.

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

Summer solstice had passed and the beginnings of the downward journey to the middle of winter had begun. Light flurries of snow fell to the ground and along the streets of Tháinbroek, upon the steps leading up to the large doors to the Grand Hall it carpeted the way for Théo and his father and upon which their presence would be marked in their footfalls. Although the family had not been back to Midvinter since Thrand's death, Théo had, spending time up in the mountains at Himmeldal preparing the home for his work, soon he would be there for weeks working on a project only known to him. He had not paid visit to the King, his uncle, not out of any disrespect but he still could not bring himself to enter the Hall, it will never be the same again. No matter what the future will bring, that part of his life was completed and Théo accepted it now .. he had let go.

Now standing in the room before the main hall with his father, he grinned at his Papa, there was still that mischievous young lad in the man, that part of him will never die not until he draws his last breath. His father's elbow would meet a wall of muscle, his body as hard as a rock from all the work up at Himmeldal, his limbs equally so as Théo has grown up into his full body of a man. He had come of age, but there was one more thing to do ...

"Glory to you Karl", he shot back at the guard he had known since a child, many times Karl had chased Théo out the doors of rooms he should never have entered. "Quit with the Thanes thing will ya, Lord will do", he added with heavy mirth. Verbal abuse was what followed that statement, to which Théo laughed. Upon entering the throne room, "By Odiir's beard, it is hot in here!", it was not a whisper and Théo peeled off his álk fur and threw it on one of the long seats. For his father however, Théo would behave .. to a point, but he had caught the words of the conversation between the chieftains and his uncle.

Théo approached the table on which lay a large map of Midvinter, the Chieftains and the King did not notice his presence at first which gave Théo time to examine the situation. Since the war, many Valkyri had lost their homes and livelihood and needed relocating to safer ground, much work still needed to be done. "My Lords, if I may .. the area between these ranges ..", he pointed to the map, "Is said to have a nest of Hrothwûrm burrowned in the valley, I have this information from talk in mead halls from travelers from the east, the great beasts have been sighted there and terrorising the wild álk. If you are to consider this location for the village I strongly suggest you have men confirm these reports". Théo stood up from leaning over the table with straight back, "Greetings Uncle". He met the man's eye.
[member="Thurion Heavenshield"]

The sudden appearance of his nephew caused the somewhat heated discussion to simmer down, as all were equally surprised at the young Heavenshield interjecting. "Théo," his father spoke as he too joined the group of people, sidling up beside the lad and giving him a gentle slap against the back of his head with the palm of his hand. "Way to not interrupt," he added playfully. The others simply looked on with wide eyes and bewildered expressions before resuming their discussion as if nothing happened, all while Thyrian escaped further interaction by approaching father and son.

"Nice try, Théodred, but futile - they've been at it for some time now, demanding that I make a decision they're perfectly able to make themselves," he shrugged while pulling them aside. "I've reminded them that no blood must be spilled on Midvinter soil, but when I decreed it I didn't expect them to be so poor at diplomacy that didn't involve fists or steel. I've effectively created a massive headache for myself." Thurion couldn't help but chuckle, before wrapping an arm around his brother's shoulders. "You did the right thing, Thyrian. The people has bled enough to last them a lifetime. A year off will do them good, even if they don't realise it right away."

Thyrian nodded quietly before turning to the debating chieftains. "Alright, that's enough out of you," his deep voice echoed through the grand hall as he raised a hand, and the discussion fell silent. "Have your people stay in Tháinbroek for the time being until we can come up with a compromise. I've family buisness to attend to." The respective retinues grabbed their things and made for the exit, still bickering amongst themselves before finally the throne room was silent once more. Thyrian practically collapsed onto the nearest table, knocking over a few cups and cutlery in the process. "So, where's Kära? Does she not partake in the decision-making?"

Thyrian closed his eyes and let out a soft grunt. "Oh, she's more comfortable making decision than I ever was. Given her current 'state', however, the midwives insist that she lay down once a day. She's most likely resting as we speak." Thurion smiled and turned to his son. "How 'bout that, boy? Won't be long 'til you get to meet your cousin," he nudged Théo with his elbow. "What are you thinking of naming him?" His brother took a sharp breath as he sat up, his legs dangling down the side of the table, just barely touching the floor. "We're going to name him 'Thrand'," he spoke with the softest smiles on his lips.

"Hmm, maybe you should allow them to 'use fists and steel' .. in the form of a boxing match, well no steel that would end in blood, but tournament might quill the need for the fighting until the end of the year. They are a warring people after all and to remove that part of them so ingrained in their blood might actually prove to be more of a problem for you later", Théo shrugged his shoulders somewhat at his own idea. But it had merit, just needed fine tuning. His head turned to watch the chieftains in continual dispute and creased his brow, he knew them .. stubborn as the mountains of Midvinter that would never be moved.

Yet a smile turned his lips, his uncle did have his work cut out for him but Théo knew he would do well, in time, however all this was said while rubbing the back of his head where his father had clipped him one. However the thought of a new member of the family pleased Théo greatly and turned his grin into a smile.

"Ah you are wrong father, not cousin, but brother cousin ..", he thought for a moment on the relationships within the family, the dynamics of it so close regardless of the actually lineage, he also thought for a moment on the name .. "Thrand", he said in a whisper with remembrance in his tone, "I like it". It was truth enough that he was looking forward to the arrival of the new born, the child did not have choice in the parents after all and so he would be met with love from Théo. "I look forward to the day when I can teach him the art of the sword .. and the foulest language known to Midvinter, after all if you are to name him after our grand-sire he needs to know how to swear".
[member="Thurion Heavenshield"] | Uncle Thyrian

When the name of his future nephew was uttered, Thurion offered his brother a soft smile before turning to gaze upon the empty throne. He could still see him up there, laughing and spreading his wisdom as he was wont to do. He could hear his deep, commanding voice echo through the halls, speaking with such honesty and truthfulness without a hint of hidden meaning behind them. Returning to the here and now, Thurion put an arm around Théo's shoulders and rested the lad's head upon his shoulder. "It is a good name," he finally said with lifted spirits. "It's about time we had more little ones running around, filling t00he throne room with children's laughter again. This one's all grown up, I fear," he leaned in for a fatherly kiss in his son's black hair. Thyrian observed the youngster for a moment, before sliding off the table and back on his feet. "Not yet, he isn't."

The King approached Théo as his fiery eyes looked him over. "That's what we're here to sort out, I believe?" he spoke with a slight smirk. "The ship is prepared and waiting for us at the docks. We'll head downriver towards the sea, and from there it will be up to this young man to see us safely to the other side." Thyrian gave his nephew a reassuring pat on the arm before turning and stepping away from the two. "You two head down to the docks. I must get my things before I join you..." Of course, more importantly he had to bid farewell to his very pregnant love of his life.

As father and son exited the Great Hall, tiny snowflakes had begun to slowly fall from the skies. They headed for the docks where previously they had sent their patriarch to his final rest. Walking beside his only son, Thurion couldn't help but wonder. "How are you feeling, Théo? Where are your thoughts?" While his Jedi training allowed him to discern this with but the slightest tap into the Force, he preferred to hear it from him in person. So many relied on the Force when simple human interactions are just as efficient.

As his uncle looked into his eyes, Théo could not help but wonder what exactly was behind them. The fiery gaze seemed natural in a sense, but was it a shield to the soul as well? Although Théo knew of some of the history of his uncle, he did not know it completely and want to ask how the fire ... his fire, informed on his heart, his being, how it came to be? So many question just for one man. Hopefully over time they would get to speak of it, yet there is still the barrier between them that prevents Théo allowing his uncle close.

However, when informed he would have to take command of the long boat once they reach the open sea, Théo's mouth dropped open slightly surprised by the sudden revelation. His uncles reassuring pat on the arm did little to subdue the building nerves. He had only seen the long boats, never had he stepped foot on one. You would think he would have given his adventurous nature as a child of Midvinter. Funny how ages removes bravado ...

It was good to be back out in the cold air of the day, each small flake that graced his cheek burned and melted on his hot skin, Uncle Thyrian really knows how to light a fire. Yet it is not winter, this rite unable to be attempted in the Freeze, so the day was relatively warm by Midvinter standards. As father and son made their way to the docks, "Nervous .. I did not know I had to command the long boat", he said almost in a whisper. Théo looked up into his father's face, "What if .. what if I fail?". What happens then?

But there was something more important to Théo to know, something he had longed to ask his father from the day of the coronation. "Papa, why did you not take the crown?", Théo understood well enough the nature and duty of Jedi, but he had the feeling there was more to it then that. "You could have you know, you could have ruled Midvinter as easy as each breath you take".

Although Théo stands almost as tall as his father, he is still a young man in need of guidance, still young enough to want for his fathers arms for support. "I have not told you this of late as we are both busy with duty but.. I love you Papa". In fact his father was and always will be, King.

Dawnbringer%20small_zps1t4zwy4b.png
Thurion let out a brief chuckle. "We'll be there to help you out, don't worry. But you will be calling all the shots once we get on board, so try not to take things too lightly. Use that noggin of yours," he told him while settling his palm against the back of Théo's head. As the two walked a bit further down the steps, his son asked him a question he did not expect. "Well... Thyrian is the older brother, so the throne is his by right. And he's available, whereas I'm not." He let a moment of silence take hold of the conversation before letting out a sigh.

"But, I can tell you're not convinced," he said as they made it down the stone steps and found themselves in the city square. At the centre there stood a newly risen bronze statue, depicting the twilight years of the recently deceased High King. Father and son found themselves drawn to it, and so stood before the figure of their patriarch towering above them. "When your grandfather was a young man he could've made his claim for the throne right there and then, causing a civil war between those loyal to him and those loyal to his rival, Beorlund the Usurper. He could've won it back when he was young and untroubled by old age, and ruled for many, many years. But he didn't."

He placed a hand upon Théo's shoulder. "Ruling others is a burden, and it should always be seen as such. If someone takes pleasure in dictating the lives of others, then they are not far off from becoming a tyrant. Your grandfather chose not to seize his opportunity, and so found himself on Pelagon where he instead got married and settled down. Were it not for this choice he made so early in life, none of us would be here talking about it. In the end, however, he was forced to reclaim that which was lost to him so long ago, only as an old man. He didn't do it for himself, but for his people and for the future." He turned to look his son in the eye.

"I would not wish the crown upon anyone's head, and my brother would not wish it upon mine. So, he chose to shoulder the burden for me, you, and all of us. It was a selfless act that drove him to ascend the throne."

The eyes of his father, are like life jewels and it is like looking in a mirror. As he spoke of the burden of the crown, and what his uncle had done for them all, Théo considered each word and in so doing he smiled. Yes, his uncle had the right to the throne only by the virtue of being first born, but having his father speak of him this way made Théo realise what he had not seen in the man.

Grandfather had made mistakes in his life, in his youth when left the boys alone. But although many years had been lost and heartache had resulted in this decision Thrand had brought a sense of closure to them, Thyrian and Thurion. Théo's father spoke wisely and the truth of it. And taking his gaze away from his father to the towering statue of Thrand, he thanked him for his decisions as strange as that was.

Théo said nothing on the subject, all questions had been answered and besides he understood now. "I am sorry father", he finally spoke to offer apology for given disrespect to his brother. "I failed to see the truth". Yet, the truth of the matter was that his father was equal in selflessness to that of his brother and so they both have noble hearts that take the burden from others, Thyrian for his father and people, his father for the Jedi.

"I have something for you, something I got for you when away. A gift I have been meaning to give for but have not had the opportunity", he said as he twisted his body to retrieved a bundle from under his fur coat, a small winch on his face the only sign of his injury to his side from the boar. A brown paper parcel was handed to his father held together with a piece of twine. When unwrapped, Théo's father would find his gift he had made for him, a Jedi leather utility belt to wear with his robes.

a3e2e9f9-09b2-4833-954d-152631c80d61_zpsq51nnp1q.jpg

Leaving his brother and nephew to their own devices, the High King wandered through the empty hallways leading to the royal bedchamber. Already he'd learned every inch of his new home by heart, the name of every person in his employ, but still it all felt so new to him. He'd spent decades of his life in service to others; the Sith Empire, his master Darth Kyros, the Dark side... All of these had him do terrible things to people he didn't know for reasons that were never explained, nor did he care to find out. He was a machine bred for death and despair, with no thought or feeling of his own.

But this was before his resurrection, before becoming human. Humanity was given back to him, and with it all the ups and downs of feelings and thoughts. Individualism. Pain and joy. All these things that were denied to him so long ago were suddenly thrust back into him, and it felt as if he'd been born anew having to learn to deal with emotions and heartache. That was over a decade ago, now, and he found himself the ruler of a planet he'd never heard of and starting a family with the woman he's always loved over anything else. He felt extremely lucky, and grateful for being given this second chance at righting the wrongs he committed in a previous life. Above all, he would do his father proud.

Gently pushing the door to their chambers open to see Kära in bed soundly asleep, Thyrian stepped inside and closed it shut. Even when bundled up with blankets and furs her big bump was easy to make out, and as he approached and kneeled beside the bed he placed a hand upon her belly. There was life growing inside her, he could feel it. While she let out a soft groan he leaned in for the softest of kisses upon her forehead and a caress of her white hair. "Sleep well, my Snowflake. Know that I love you," he whispered before glancing down to her bump rising and falling with each breath. "Both of you." With that said he got back up, grabbed what few belongings he'd prepared for their trip, and made for the ship.

The cold air was barely noticable to the man once known as Ashborn, the fire in his veins sustaining him through the worst that Midvinter could throw at him. Heading down the steps to meet up with Thurion and Théodred, he caught them standing before the newly risen statue dedicated to their father. With his pack hung over his shoulder, Thyrian took his time to allow them to share their moment together. It dawned upon him that he would one day be standing there with a child of his own, looking up into his father's eyes and marvel over the legacy of the Dawnbringer. Finally he approached the two and gave his younger brother a nudge with his elbow.

"He still listens, you know," Thyrian said, sharing their view of the stoic Thrand. "Sun God or no, he is still our father."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"] ([member="Kära Vi'dreya"])

Thurion's hand upon his shoulder gave Théo a reassuring squeeze. "It's not me you ought to apologise to," he told him as he noticed his brother making his way down the stone steps. Before Thyrian was able to meet up with them, however, Théo presented his father with a gift in the form of a leather belt, wrapped up and everything. Thurion quietly took the belt from Théo's hands and examined its leather surface and fine craftmanship. "Thank you, my boy," he could only say while pulling him in for a close embrace. "I will wear it and think of you."

It was then that the High King caught up with the two, and his words made Thurion gaze upon the statue one more time. The face of their father, showcasing both his great strength as well as vulnerability, staring down at them all was capable to instill both awe and respect, as well as a great sense of longing in him. Reaching a hand to rid his father's shoulders of the chunks of snow gathered atop them, he then rested his hand upon Thrand's firmly clutching the hilt of his associated weapon, the greatsword known as Dawnstar. At that moment the midday sun broke through the heavy clouds and wrapped the city of Tháinbroek in its warmth, but Thurion knew that it was aimed at them. A gift from their father to take on their journey.

"We'd best make for the ship. I hear the captain can be quite the handful, and if we're late he might just sail off without us," he said to Thyrian with a chuckle, teasingly ignoring the fact that Théo was standing right next to them. The older brother cast one last look up towards the Great Hall and nodded. "Aye... let's be off." Together they all headed for the docks where a longship had been prepared and stocked with provisions for their journey across the sea.

He felt the assured touch on his shoulder, and nodded his understanding as he too noticed Thyrian approaching from the grand hall. He stepped back a little as the two brother spoke, just watching them both and noticing the similarities between to the two men, yet so different in more respects. It would take time for Théo to know his uncles but that was fine, and it was time he was prepared to take and make time for.

And then the sun burst through the ever present clouds not only Thainbroek but Midvinter continually. Théo smiled listening to his uncle speak of Thrand while watching his father brush away the snow from the large statue of their beloved father. "Oh he is here alright and as full of wicked humour as he always was", he remembered what had happened high in the mountains near Himmeldal.

However, when his father mentioned the captain of the ship and commented on his disposition, Théo began to move off quickly not wanting to upset the man or be left behind before he suddenly stopped realising his father's jest. An eye brow arched, the corner of his mouth turned up slightly .. "So I get to boss you too about for a few weeks huh?", his smile formed more. But Théo is not stupid, he knows well enough not to push his luck with either of them. He ain't brave enough for that...

They reached the port, and the long boat was ready for them, while his father and uncle boarded the ship Théo turned his head looking over his shoulder with a furrowed brow. However, he too boarded the boat and placed his bag on the deck before checking over the ship.

Heavy foot falls pounded the streets of Thainbroek, he was just about out of breath as he turned the corner to the harbour to catch up with Théo .. he was late. As he ran, his bag fell from his shoulder spilling the contents on the ground, his frustration evident on his face as he stopped to scoop up the papers and instruments and shoving them back in the bag in no order. "Don't go without me!", he yelled to Théo who stood on the deck unsure of himself. He held the bag to his chest as he continued his run, finally making the dock and up the wooden ramp.

Alfr let the bad finally drop to the deck, puffing out of breath with hands on his hips to expand his chest to suck in more air. Through laboured breath, "I got it all, I got the stuff". It was then he noticed to two others on the ship, his head turned slowly in disbelief as he recognised the King and Lord Heavenshield. And his face turned white, as the blood drained from his skin.

In an instant Alfr went on one knee and bowed his head to the King and Lord Heavenshield, "Forgive me my King, Lord Heavenshield, I did not know you were here", he held his stance but turned his head to give Théo a looked with wide eyes.

Once the three set foot aboard the vessel that would carry them across the Great Maw, the massive ocean which framed the equally massive continent of Midvinter, Thurion looked to his older brother who had frozen in place, staring down at the water with wide eyes and a panicked expression. "Thyrian? Are you..." he asked and was about to place a hand upon his shoulder. At that moment Thyrian snapped back awake, beads of sweat trailing down his forehead.

"I'm fine. I'm fine..." He cleared his throat and wiped his forehead of the sweat, after which he sent a grateful nod Thurion's way. "I wouldn't come with you if I thought otherwise." Well aware of Thyrian's childhood experiences with large bodies of water before he was brought into the world, he left the matter be and allowed Thyrian room to adjust to his whereabouts, instead joining Théo in making the final preparations to set sail.

Before his son could ask what was the matter with Thyrian, Thurion stepped closer and spoke softly. "He, uh... nearly drowned when he was very young. Been afraid of water ever since." It was around this time that a seemingly fourth member joined up with them, spilling his things all over the docks before gathering them all up with laboured breath. "Now, what's all this?"

After the young, portly man who obviously knew Théo finally got on board only to fall to his knees at the mere sight of him - and even more so the High King himself, although no crown adorned his head - both Thurion and Thyrian stood before him with similarly puzzled expressions on their faces. "It's alright, lad. You may rise," the elder eventually spoke while Thurion offered to take the young man's belongings off his hands. "Friend of yours, Théodred?"

"Lord Heavenshield, King Hearthfire, this is Alfr Silkenstride". Théo thumped the back of his friends shoulder as Alfie got back up on his feet, "A good friend of mine since childhood and .. our navigator". The biggest grin crossed Théo's face while looking at the faces of both father and uncle, after all he had known of the plans for this voyage and so he had devised plans and preparations of his own. Alfie knew the river leading out to the Great Maw like the back of his hand, however once they would reach the Maw, all were venturing into unknown territory.

"Alfie, this is my father, Thurion Heavenshield and his brother Thyrian Hearthfire, our King .. don't worry they don't bite", Théo leaned closer to whisper the second part, however no words seemed to quell Alfie's nervousness. The relationship between the two friends greater by the virtue that Alfie had saved Théo's life in the forest, a life debt owning. Alfie could not take his eyes of the two men, especially the King. But with the end of the introductions Théo decided it was time to get underway.

Concerned by the news that his uncle has a fear of water and by all accounts a warranted one, Théo realised this rite of passage was not only this to undertake. Both his father and uncle had not done this, not had the adventure in their youth as would have been if they had spent their lives on Midvinter and even if they are both not bound to undertake the rite, it would be an event to complete their connection not only to their father but Midvinter itself. After all it is Midvinter that rules the men that tread the soil and sail the waters.

Théo turned in thought for a moment, moving away from them before turning back to issue his first orders as captain of this voyage. "Father, take up the oars, uncle set the sail to half mast and tie off the sheet before joining father. Alfie, set up your star map and compass and take us up river". Half sail would help the oarsmen giving assistance to the work at hand. Now on this journey all rank and title dropped once the ship began to move, now they are simply men in each other's company. Théo would soon join his father and uncle as Alfie's knowledge would see them navigate the river and it's hidden dangers.

1239216-bigthumbnail.jpg

On the banks of the harbour and the lining the river, the people of Tháinbroek had come to watch them depart, the word had quickly spread that the High King, the Lords Heavenshield are to sail the Maw. The children looked on in awe running along the banks as far as they could until they could go no further, some of the men stood talking among themselves taking bets on who would return alive if at all, but all in all there was deep respect for the family among the Valkyri now that the High King had embraced their culture even more.

The gentle wind rode down from the surrounding mountains, a sharp snap filled the sail as the oars began to push the Karve over the surface of the water. Théo took up the seat directly behind his uncle and began to row, a slight grimace on his face was hidden from them all, as the pain in his side protested at the hard work. The journey up river would take several hours and by the time they reached the mouth of the river all would be bare chested and ringing wet with sweat, regardless of the assistance of the sail. Around Théo's lower torso are still the bandages from the wound of the boar, the only thing on his body to remain. Still a little blood stained.

Most of the journey was met with silence, the three kin matched in rhythm with the oars, save for Alfie giving directions to navigate the river while pouring over his map. Théo watch his uncle from behind, as well as his father and remember the words he had spoke. "Uncle", he said softly to gain his attention. "Father explained to me the burden you have take up for us all, especially for him, and I thank you for it. I .. I also apologise for my words to you the day .. ", he could not finish the sentence, as the day still brings back the pain of Thrand's death. "The day we spoke in private. There was so much pain I could not see through it". The apology was genuine, although Théo still believed that Thyrian had erred in saying his father was not strong, it is not something one tells a son of his father, and if he ever said that again of his father, he would defend his father's honour .. brother or no brother, King or no King.

Once they got going and began making their way downriver, Thyrian was able to put his worries aside and focus on the task at hand. The fresh air invigorated him, and the hard work of rowing agreed with him; too long had he resided within the walls of the Great Hall without a proper outlet. It made him come to realise that he could use a hobby for when he was not needed at court. Granted, he'd find himself raising a son very shortly which would take up a lot of his time, he wagered.

When Théodred spoke to him from behind as they worked the oars, Thyrian kept on rowing but turned his head to the side. "It's..." he sighed, trying to find the right words. "You don't have to apologise, Théodred. But thank you. We were both frustrated and stricken with grief at the time. Miscommunication and whatnot." Glancing over his shoulder just long enough to catch a glimpse of the bandages upon Théodred's otherwise naked torso, he returned his gaze straight ahead and looked his brother in the back of his neck. "What's with the bandages?"

Having overheard their conversation, Thurion spoke up at the mention of Théo's wounds. "Oh, haven't you heard? Our young warrior here felt he could take on a wild boar all on his own," he chuckled. "Didn't quite turn out the way he thought."

Once they had set sail, Alfr stood at the bow of the ship, his eyes darting upriver to look for any changes within it. A fallen tree or log swept down from the small rivers that fed into this one, or a shift in the river itself through rain fall which would dramatically change the currents, but nothing was changed that would worry them, only marginal differences.

Alfr consulted his map, a sketch of the river and its bends and rocks and any notible feature that would cause damage to the ship if it where to hit. "Three degrees starboard!", he yelled over his shoulder to the rowers and royal as they are, in hope to avoid a bank of rock below the waters surface. "If .. If you please my lords". It felt rather strange shouting orders to the King and his family. He did not hear the conversation, to focused on his work and in so doing was using the force to 'feel' the way, not that he knew it. Théo had not told him of it and he had not spoke of the odd feelings he gets in case Théo thought him weird.

It would not be long before they would see open water, only one more bend in the river. Around them rose the land, with ranges not a high as those surrounding Tháinbroek, but impressive none the less. Over the tops of the tall pines rose the curl of smoke from many chimneys yet no village could they see. There is the scent of salt in the air, and a mist shrouding the mouth of the river that would meet the Maw. "They say there are spirits in those mists", Alfr said as his eyes widened and his arm raised pointing to the end of the river.

"We have reached open water my lords". And now they enter the unknown, from here he will help Théo navigate through the stars.

[member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]

He shot a smile at this father, while they continued to row up river. "Hey, I am alive the boar is not! so I think it did work out the way I wanted", he laughed at his fathers joke of him. "Besides Papa, you will enjoy the taste of it tonight for our first meal. Alfie did the curing of it for us. But I suspect by the time we return you all will never want to see boar again".

Suddenly Alfie yelled out instructions, "What in blazers is three degrees?", he asked himself mostly, but matched the rowers in their change of rhythm and the ship turned with ease to round the bank of rocks. The bend in the river was deep water, Théo's excitement grow as he smelled the salt which was tainted with trepidation as now the voyage was truly about to begin. Rivers are one thing, oceans .. and not just any ocean .. are another. It is in times like these one begins to doubt yourself, Théo was no different and his mind filled with concern. Lives are in his hands now, whether King or kin or Valkyri.

As soon as Alfr announced they had reached to mouth, Théo stood up from his rowing bench and turned to see the rolling mist over the surface of the water. The ship entered the shroud of mist, they are sailing blind and relying on Alfr to get them through. Théo let out a lung full of air, to try and rid his nerves before looking to his father for reassurance. It is his father's eyes he needs to see now..

As the party of four sailed through the mist after having made it downriver, Thurion could see the distress on Théo's face. He reached for his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "It's alright, son. I'm here." Looking ahead he found his brother at the bow of the small ship, staring straight ahead into the unknown with his usual stoic demeanor and arms crossed over his chest. "The mist should only last for a while longer until w--" Stopping mid-sentence, Thurion's head turned sideways as something in the mist caught his gaze. Squinting he tried to make it out, but it was just too obscured.

Then, suddenly, the ship started rocking for but a moment as a beam of water shot up right beside them. It was followed by several more in the distance, each making a loud splashing sound. "Théo, look," he pointed with a smile on his face. "It's a herd of whales coming up for air, is all." As soon as he finished his sentence another beam shot up right in front of them, soaking both father and son in the cold ocean water. At first looking a bit miffed at being drenched, Thurion swept back his blonde hair and resumed his smile. "That's alright, I was gonna shower anyway," he spoke loudly for the whales to hear and let out a chuckle.

"I think we better change into something a bit more dry. I doubt even our Valkyri blood will sustain us if we're soaked to the bone." He settled a hand in his son's black hair and gave it a good ruffle, completely messing up any semblance of a haircut he might've sported.

He had this strange sensation crawling up the back of his neck, and soon the reason for it appeared next to him in the shape of the High King. Alfie had remained at the bow of the ship, his eyes watching the water before the ship began to rock slightly and the whales grace them all with their presence. The sight of it was something Alfrie had never seen before, he had never been this far up river let alone out to the open water. He too was feeling scared and unsure of himself, this was made even more so by the arrival of the King.

Alfr turned his head slightly to look at the profile of the King who seemed to be stoic in his gaze, no set of emotion at all on his face, or anything to give away his thoughts, well apart from his arms folded across his broad chest. He looked away as quickly and with darting eyes stood wondering what to say to his King or even if he should. Alfr felt very awkward, his stance shifting on the spot an indication of this but he knew he could not simply stand there fidgeting.

"Fine weather we are having my lord", he gulped and shot a look to his face in hope of seeing if it was true, did his eyes really hold flames of a fire? He had heard stories of this nature, had heard the men talking in the mead halls, he had even asked Théo and got more then he bargained for, but he had never truly looked into his eyes for fear of it. Lord Heavenshield's sudden laugh caught his attention and he turned half way to see what had happened only to see the Thane soaked to the skin from the whale's spouting water. Alfr smiled as this seemed to relaxed him and cut the tension. But when he turned back, he took a quick look at the King's .. butt. Alfr had summoned up some courage ..

"Is it true? I mean .. the flames? Théo said something of the sort, and he also told me that you can shoot bolts of fire from your .. arse". Yes, Théo would tell him that, and naturally this was said in jest, however Alfr was not sure of it and decided to find out the truth.
[member="Thyrian Hearthfire"]

Théo sucked in a long lung full of air as his father gave him reassurance, his brilliant blue eyes find his equally and in them was belief, belief his son would prevail and even if not, it would not matter .. at least not to his father and that was all Théo needed to push on with the journey ahead. "Thank you father", he simply said with a soft smile of understanding. Still, there would be many trials to face on this trip and they had only just begun. In a way this trip had taken the weight of the galaxy of his shoulders, his father's subtle hint to speak with Thyrian and make amends went a long way in this, a self instilled burden had been removed thanks to his papa. His father is truly a wise man, beyond his years even.

"Have we hit rock ..", he voiced loud, the ship had listed but his father's sudden sense of excitement rid him of any thought of that. Following his father's outstretched arm he saw the whales and gasped, he had never seen anything like them before even when on his surfing trips. A ton loud of water showered over father and son, lucky for Théo he was all but naked as it was and the shower served to wash away the sweat and grim from his wound. He ran to the side of the ship and lean over to see them better, "Why is everything so large on Midvinter?", he said with equal excitement to his father's and with a laugh, the whales were massive.

It got to much for Théo, this was to good an opportunity to pass up. Hoping on one foot he pulled off his boot, and then the other .. "Come on father!", the other boot was off before his pants hit the deck. "You up for it?", he beamed the biggest grin to dare his father, and stood as bare as the day he was born.

"Hey it is cold! don't judge me".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom