Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Advice on writing a force user

Hi, I am looking at writing my first force sensitive, lightener wielding character and am struggling how to work out balance. I have been reading a lot of jedi and sith character bios which are very cool. The issue I have is that everyone seems to be a super powerful force master carrying an ancient relic saber that immediately destroys anything it touches and ignores all resistance. They wear unique armour that makes them immune to everything and fly a custom snubfighter which fires torpedoes armed with turbolasers.

The level I want to write might as well be a potato with a glowstick haha. Is there a good starting point or even a guide for balance like in the foundry?

Specifically I want to write a small unaligned force sensitive group with my character as a leader, at a skill level approximate to you average film jedi.

Thanks

It can definitely be difficult to work out balance, especially on a site with a load of freedom, and also a load of people operating with tools that are exceptionally powerful and exotic.

I've not written a Force User in quite some time, and I was probably guilty of some of the issues you've listed out, but if I had a few recommendations:

1. If you're going to become proficient in a Force ability, especially just starting out, then it may be easiest to balance everything out if you also choose to perform poorly in another ability. For example, if you want your character to be an adept of telekinesis, and you want them to grow into that power swiftly, maybe make them poorer at telepathic actions or resistances. If you want to quickly become an adept at launching force lightning, then maybe you've never quite mastered something simple like force speed.

This isn't to say you should take on weaknesses that are "can never do X", though that's always on the table if you'd really like to challenge yourself. Instead just think of it as being something that you can only accomplish with a greater deal of practice whereas things your adept a you may be able to figure out more rapidly, or even during character creation.

2. Don't bother with fancy armor or weapons yet. A lot of the characters you see running around with their unique superblades and their stealth-suit heavy armor are doing it because they've been in a lot of invasions and a lot of fights. Others are just doing it because they want to start out at that level and be ready for big PvP level conflict. Starting out, I'd recommend you just take whatever is "standard" for your faction, or just take something simple like robes. Learn who your character is, and eventually you'll know if they want some kind of unique weapon, or if they need unique armor or starships to accomplish an important goal. A battle-mediation master doesn't really need front-line armor, but someone who challenges the biggest guy on the enemy side on the regular might.

3. Make the group new. If you want to write with an NPC group, and you want to keep them at a relatively lower level while simultaneously not power-scaling yourself too highly, then the simplest solution may be to canonically write them as a "new" association or gathering. Whatever abilities they possess, however meager, are now excellent given the short time-frame they've had to work-with, while not so overbearing as to cause issues like "Well, why can't they simply all do this and win this battle?"

4. And finally, have fun with it all. At the end of the day, the super-powerful abilities appeal to some, but a lot of people love a good underdog story, and everyone appreciates it when an ally or an opponent is balanced and fair with them.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your Jedi group! :)

Ah, yeah. The trouble of Force power scaling. It’s super difficult, especially on a board with a massive amount of PVP with relatively high stakes. The other issue is the amount of time so many people get written here. Aeshi, for example, I’ve been writing for five or six IRL years, and that comes out to probably close twenty to thirty years in board time. The only people we see in the movies for that long are Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, Luke, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, Han, and Leia. Well, them and R2 and C-3PO.Starting out with a new character is very helpful in that way, because you don’t have that sort of time creating layers and layers of experience.

For starting out at a low level, I always think of Ezra Bridger in the start of Rebels. He’s pretty much the perfect example of somebody just beginning to learn the Force. There are things he can begin to do innately, based on his own personal talents. Then there are things he has to learn, which he can do, and then there are things he just never manages to learn.

To use that more directly, what I would do is pick two or things things that a character has a natural aptitude for. Maybe it’s telekinesis, or lightsaber dueling, or mentalism. They’re not especially great at these yet, but they’re easier to learn than other skills. Then I’d do the opposite and work out four or five things that are especially difficult for them to learn, as perhaps it’s very technical or they don’t have any natural aptitude in those areas. Everything else can be learn at about an average pace and they’re neither especially good nor especially poor at it.

Another take is the idea of specializing into being a generalist. By that, I mean the character can learn lots of things at an average ability, but will never be incredibly skilled at all, or even most of them. Average healing, average dueling, average telekinesis.

As for balance in comparison to stuff in the factory, my suggestion is write better and write clever. Clever writers with padawans have beat Sith Lords here on multiple occasions and non-Force Users have beat Force users fairly often with forethought and planning. My main Jedi character doesn’t use a lightsaber, but can match any of the super powerful Sith Lords one on one because none of their armor or lightsabers are really prepared for the fact that they’re fighting someone with a walking stick and mugs of tea he throws at them. Creativity, out of character friendliness, and clever writing will make even the weakest Force user someone who can tangle with someone more powerful, but more importantly, it can be more enjoyable and makes interacting with other people a better experience for you as a writer than trying to keep up with the faction arms race if you don’t want to.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
1. Make a character you are going to like and want to keep using.
2. Find your comfort zone for the force if you struggle and don't like writing lightsider/darksider and get bored doing it then it won't last.
3. If you are part of a jedi faction look at some of the powers that interest you and see how they write them. I did this with Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin when it came to techniques like the white current and have gotten a little better.
4. Study and research, look at the force techniques and find a way to write them.
5. When it comes to gear selection and equipment you can pretty much wear whatever you want. If you can't find it there is a handful on the board who enjoy making robes or sabers.
6. have fun with it, you can do thing episodic style where each thread is stand alone, long arcs which can be harder but more rewarding in developing with a friend.... or you can mix it with both of them depending on the writer.

Be careful what you wish for.
This guy is admittedly one of those "super powerful force master carrying an ancient relic saber" guys you refer to. :)

The thing about Caltin is that he is a relic because I carried him over from another site that was set about 30 ABY, and put him on ice for the 800+ years for continuity's sake. That other site was very strict and regimented so everything he is capable of doing was earned and documented (again for continuity's sake I am in the middle of transferring working links from that site to here for reference). He was my very first Force User and like you, I had problems writing him (I cut my RP teeth on military guys). So what I did was basically take my first thread or two and find his personality. Then I let him tell the story, I just narrate it. You'd be surprised at how relatively easy it is.

There is also a great piece of advice an old friend of mine once gave ( Jsc Jsc ) "Don't worry about what others write, write for yourself." Goes without saying, but sound, and sage.

If you need any more advice, feel free and hit me up.

• Love
Reactions: Jsc
Hi, I am looking at writing my first force sensitive, lightener wielding character and am struggling how to work out balance. I have been reading a lot of jedi and sith character bios which are very cool. The issue I have is that everyone seems to be a super powerful force master carrying an ancient relic saber that immediately destroys anything it touches and ignores all resistance. They wear unique armour that makes them immune to everything and fly a custom snubfighter which fires torpedoes armed with turbolasers.

The level I want to write might as well be a potato with a glowstick haha. Is there a good starting point or even a guide for balance like in the foundry?

Specifically I want to write a small unaligned force sensitive group with my character as a leader, at a skill level approximate to you average film jedi.

Thanks
Lol, I think this is an issue a lot of people have. Personally I had this issue buts its not because of other characters, but for me it was mostly a challenge to hold myself back and not make a star killer clone and at the same time not be a weaksauce Padawan.

Here's a bit of advice that I use. I tend to put myself in the situation and go off of the character that I'm writing how would that feel, is it realistic in the sense ill enjoy those parameters I'm setting? would that be kind of OP and make me not enjoy it? or is it at the point it doesn't have enough of what I'm looking for.

Take this character Kain for instance, Force wise he could hold a small ship in place with ease or even blow it off its landing gear, but because he's so absolutely Intune with his physical power output, other areas of force expertise such as precession are weaker, sure he could hold up a house but say a complex puzzle was falling over, Kain would sit and watch in horror as the poor thing crumbled knowing he'd never have the precision to hold it together, which for him is an ironic bit of plot since he was raised as and is a capable mechanic.

To sum it up Bull met china shop, and he liked the wares.

It can help a bit, but in the end just make the character how you want and try not to compare, at the end of the day they are all different characters.

Last edited:
I see you read all my bios. :D
All I see is just a list of links to shiny things.

The issue I have is that everyone seems to be a super powerful force master carrying an ancient relic saber that immediately destroys anything it touches and ignores all resistance. They wear unique armour that makes them immune to everything and fly a custom snubfighter which fires torpedoes armed with turbolasers.
While people have all that stuff, as someone who makes, judges, and uses that stuff, let me tell you its not as fantastical as it is made out to be. 9 times out of 10, its pure fluff and just "rule of cool" rather than actually powerful. What matters is your writing. You can make a character that starts of incredibly "weak" and takes beating after beating, but at the end of the day, becomes something much greater with nothing more than their bare hands/a simple lightsaber with no factory sub.

Don't worry about writing the items you use, the armors that are worn or the ships that fly. Write what matters to the character and what matters to the story that is being written.

There are many times in the past that I have had characters that had "Ultra-powerful armor set#3049449" and I hated using it because it trivialized things for me. I want a challenge when writing PVP/PVE, and I want weaknesses with my character. If I cover up those weaknesses with armor or weapons, then it makes a poor story.

Instead, I have tried to make things that accentuate or add flair to the character. It entirely depends on what kind of story you want to write. Badass Sith, Goody-two shoes Jedi, Clone Soldier, Fleeter, Rogue pilot, whatever.

Writing Film Jedi tend to be pretty prolific and have the problem of their reputation proceeding them. To do that, I recommend writing a character that is wanting not to become prolific, but instead a "Down to earth" person that is thrust into those situations and comes out on top.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to Star Wars Chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom