Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice as a New Journey Starts

So, Ijaat is taking a YUGE step in a new direction. I've never roleplayed him as not a Mandalorian, but after recent IC events, I can't see him being able to stay as one. Through meta or actual IC work he will be found out. And that will be fun. Plus, his Mastership for FU status is hopefully soon, which is another new thing for him.

Overall? I'm looking for some feedback on the guy. What you think of his journey, personality, and even me as a writer if you feel froggy. Thread tracker is in the bio and up to almost complete date. If anyone wants a highlight reel of my personal favorites, I can happily throw it together.

And as always: No need to be nice. I asked for it.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
I've enjoyed watching him be this...almost extremist in denial, you know? Hardworking helpful blue-collar mando, and then every once in a while circumstances demand or permit that he goes a bit off the rails. Declaring war on the whole SJO, blowing up the Sith fortress on Coruscant, and now this latest stunt with the seismic charges. I think I've got a fairly clear idea of who and what he is, but I wasn't really there/paying attention for the events and most of the pressures that made him into his current form. I think what I'd like to see is the occasional bit of reference/flashback to the stresses and choices that shaped his decision-making processes.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Much though I (ICly) take exception to the words "We cleanse the filth of the Sith from our people", it can't be denied that you're an effective writer. You paint a good narrative, and your characterisation is always excellent - perhaps more emotive than many of the Mandalorians I've read, but that only serves to make your character more human, and less 'God in a Tin Can' (which is ever a cliche worth avoiding!).

As from where you go from here is very much going to depend on how you define yourself as a Force User, and what it is you plan to do with it: Force Users don't have the luxury of sitting on the sidelines, watching the Galaxy roll on by. That said, being Mandalorian isn't about the armour or the weapons, it's not about selling your services for credits, or fighting on the front: it's about the person you are. You can be any species by birth and yet be Mando'ade in your heart, so I think you should keep going down that line, rather than switching over to something else. What you're written thus far is good, but you'll get better as you go along.

The trick? Stay consistent to your character as you write - if you make a change, do it ICly, so we can understand the flow and the development involved.

[member="Ajira Cardei"] - Thank you. And I think I could stand to do that, actually. I've got a plan. The other writer is no longer on-site for it, but even as much as I hate solo threads I may bite it and go ahead with one. Series of flashbacks/nightmares post-Mandalore, regret for what he has done.

[member="Tirdarius"] - I'll keep the advice in mind. You are the second person to remind me the Faction does not have titular claim on my characters identity.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

This is Zef's alt.

When I first read Ijaat almost a year ago, he was the OG Ijaat - old man blacksmith, stubborn as hell, very direct, blunt and critical of new generations and insanely rooted to the idea of True Mandalorians.

A couple of months back when you drastically changed him with a new face and a new path ahead of him, it seemed kind of unnatural to me. A bit forced, if you may. Not criticizing your decision to do that, your character and it's your own will what you do with him. It seemed just very similar to my case with Zef, like you really want to write Ijaat but can't admit that perhaps his development is done, his story is done. Or at least, of course, that is my own view on that. I might be totes wrong. :p

Despite keeping his personality and beliefs identical, his new path seemed as a totally different character. Not Ijaat. Maybe the fact that Ijaat became an FU changed a lot of the way I viewed him. I know it may sound stupid that just such a change could make a big different but to me it does.

I feel, as I said earlier, you really tried to force writing Ijaat by finding a new path for him but the new path seemed to in contrast with what Ijaat originally was/is.

On the other hand, seeing Ijaat leave the Mandos while him being an absolutely 'radical' Mandalorian (I mean the guy breathes Mando), would be an interesting turn of events. An antagonist to the Mandalorians or an underappreciated protagonist ? It's good to see, in terms of development, finally reaching the climax of the long standing friction between Mandalorians' current policies/belief system (Crusader-ish) and Ijaat's extreme following of the True Mandalorians code.

[member="Darth Carnifex"] - My hammer. Your face. Any day, Pretty-Boy.

[member="Vitor Avendahl"] - I fumbled a bit when he switched to FU, it's true. It was a hard transition to wrap my head around, but it made sense. The problem was I had several plots with other writers that would have helped make it be much more organic, but they fell through. So I sorta stumbled around blindly. That was also a very rough time in life OOCly (mid-way through paramedic class, loss of a relationship and several friendships, etc..). But you are right, it was a bit forced for a minute. I'm trying to take a breath now that i'm in better headspace and make sure the next few steps make sense and are better executed.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

Mandos are often Master Chief first and real person second. Ijaat never felt like that. Which I consider a good thing. He was a dedicated personality first and a God-o-War second. An accomplishment for any author.

If there was advice I could give it would be the same as always. Focus on aiding in the adventures of family and comrades, and the personal adventures will always follow.

Cheers and happy hunting. :D

I know I am very new here (but certainly not new to role play) but I figure I'll post anyway. I've been doing a lot of reading here before I joined and since to get an idea of how things work and the nuts and bolts of it all.

I think your writing is pretty good--your rather literate and your posts seem to be fair enough in length and varried in their vocabulary. I like this.

I do have a question, a real question about your thread that was titled "From Ashes we rise" (or something to that effect). I am genuinely curious so please don't take it as some sort of glib sarcasm or anything of that nature.

You talk about purging the sith from your people as you detonate a bomb that will kill hundreds of thousands of your own--some friends and family too, I'd bet--and send your Mecca into a dark age. So my question is this: How does Ijaat reconcile the murder of these people with the desire to do good? Is he planning to walk the path of Jacen and Ankin--a force user who damns themself for the greater good? Thanks for your time!

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]

[member="Brent Smith"] - Thank you. I don't care if you just registered. Everyone has an opinion and i'll give it thought. Now if you were [member="Jay Scott Clark"] it means a second before I ignore you ( :p ) but thank you!

As far as what he is doing, yes, it is that sort of approach, in a certain light. Ijaat fought a affluent Sith Lord ([member="Darth Carnifex"] ) on Ossus with [member="Thurion Heavenshield"]. The Sith Lord hinted that him siding against the Sith and helping a Jedi would force him to show the Manda'lor and the Alor of Clan Vizsla that he was displeased with the Mandalorians. Thus, the conclusion was or is that [member="Darth Carnifex"] is controlling the Mandos through [member="Vilaz Munin"], whether willingly or through other means. Right or wrong, that lead to this current situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom