Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Small Thing That Triggers Me For A Small Amount Every Time That I See It...

When I see someone who presses "like" on every single comment in a thread. I understand that some people think it's a good thing and I understand that others are "like hoarders". But, every time I see someone do that, it makes me feel like, "They don't actually like my comment. They're just doing it to do it."

The like button should only be there for you to show to those who see the target comment "I, so and so, think that *blank*'s post was a very creative, likable, funny and/or good post. I like this."

Instead, when I see stuff like this, it makes me feel like the person handing out like buttons is thinking, "Oh, look. Activity in the thread. Good job you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you and you. I actually don't like that, but I'ma like this one anyway."

The Noble Scoundrel said:
When I see someone who presses "like" on every single comment in a thread. I understand that some people think it's a good thing and I understand that others are "like hoarders". But, every time I see someone do that, it makes me feel like, "They don't actually like my comment. They're just doing it to do it."

The like button should only be there for you to show to those who see the target comment "I, so and so, think that *blank*'s post was a very creative, likable, funny and/or good post. I like this."

Instead, when I see stuff like this, it makes me feel like the person handing out like buttons is thinking, "Oh, look. Activity in the thread. Good job you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you and you. I actually don't like that, but I'ma like this one anyway."
Some people like posts to signify that they've seen the post & read it.

[member="The Noble Scoundrel"]

I can take the like button feature or leave it. Some times I will go and only give I like to some epic IC post. Other times I get in a kick where I just want to show some love for this writer or that and go on a like button bombardment.

Not sure this is exactly the grandest or, ahem, best use of the word 'triggers', but, well, this is the internet, so I'm kinda used to this by now.

Regardless, some people just like to hit the like button. Other times there's just a really good thread. I don't pay too much mind to the like system, really.

Shia said:
i like things when I laugh or like them sorry I triggered you:mellow:
I'm okay with that. Please read and understand what I'm saying before you go and make an assumption. If you like a post, go ahead and press that like button. I can tell the difference between "when someone is liking something because there's a likable element" and "someone who's doing it 'just cuz' ".

Lily Kuhn said:
Some people like posts to signify that they've seen the post & read it.
Makes sense in private threads. It's kind of pointless, though. Either the person is going to reply in a timely manner, as would be expected, or he/she is going to drop the ball (be very late to replying) and/or drop out (stop posting altogether). Either way, a like doesn't guarantee that you're going to reply. It's always safe to assume that they've either read it or they're never coming back. Regardless of them liking my last post in a training thread, I'm still going to PM them in two days and see why they haven't replied yet.

Vengeance said:
I just want to show some love for this writer or that and go on a like button bombardment.

What if, instead of seeing you bombarding them with love, that person sees that you're liking all of their posts, figures (like me) that they're actually not legit likes reflecting of a good post and grows a cold disposition to your likes in the present and future? "Likes" are like printing money. Inflation cheapens the experience, in my opinion.

Cassus De'Gaunt said:
Not sure this is exactly the grandest or, ahem, best use of the word 'triggers', but, well, this is the internet, so I'm kinda used to this by now.

You don't know me. People with ADD have a low tolerance for frustration. So, yes, "trigger" is the right word. I used to rage at Super Mario Bros. for the Gameboy Color when I was but a mere child. I've come a long way from that, though. Instead of going off on something, *piff!* a little spark ignites, sizzles and dies in my mind. *piff, piff, piff!* Someone just posted with the worst grammar possible. *PIFF, PIFF, ZZZT!* Someone just used Mechu Deru to power game (wakemeup). Eventually, I post something like this because I believe it's a relevant experience that other people may have experienced, but didn't want to have to be the one to post about it.

Ajira Cardei said:
I'm triggered by the use of the word 'trigger.'

What I said to Cassus. Seriously, know the person before you get upset.

Zenva Vrotoa said:
I'm just gonna hit this like button and disappear again. Lol
Nuu. Betrared by me oon famlee.

Belis Verd said:
I liked everything in this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4NbO74A1k

So much of negativity in such a small thread.

Makes sense in private threads. It's kind of pointless, though. Either the person is going to reply in a timely manner, as would be expected, or he/she is going to drop the ball (be very late to replying) and/or drop out (stop posting altogether). Either way, a like doesn't guarantee that you're going to reply. It's always safe to assume that they've either read it or they're never coming back. Regardless of them liking my last post in a training thread, I'm still going to PM them in two days and see why they haven't replied yet.
You may think of it however you like, but liking post in IC threads, at least to me, is a sign of respect and a small sign of gratitude. Yes, it doesn't guarantee anything, but nobody has ever even said in this thread that it means the writer will definitely post a reply.

Shia

The Spirits of Duality
f94.jpg

I'm okay with that. Please read and understand what I'm saying before you go and make an assumption. If you like a post, go ahead and press that like button. I can tell the difference between "when someone is liking something because there's a likable element" and "someone who's doing it 'just cuz' ".

What if, instead of seeing you bombarding them with love, that person sees that you're liking all of their posts, figures (like me) that they're actually not legit likes reflecting of a good post and grows a cold disposition to your likes in the present and future? "Likes" are like printing money. Inflation cheapens the experience, in my opinion.
  1. Great, we can agree on liking a post for likable features is great.
  2. That's your opinion, but assuming things is a horrible, horrible, choice to make. When you assume, and assume incorrectly, you tend to make yourself look pretty silly, and sometimes the other person, too. For example, my posting schedule is incredibly erratic - and while I generally like most posts I read for their content, most threads I am in get a like to know that I've seen the post. Work gets the better of me, and sleep gets the rest of those days. Or maybe I don't have motivation to post that day, and don't want to tell someone that they're not going to get a post because I'm an introvert like that - maybe liking a comment is my way of doing that even if nobody gets it except the people who kind of get that impression.

If it bothers you, tell the other person to not like your post. If I write with you I'll try to remember to not do it unless the post is either spectacular or at least worthy of some recognition, but I'm not going to stop doing it with other people just because someone who watches my thread doesn't like to see it littered throughout. Maybe you should just not read through those threads if you aren't writing in them? Or maybe ignore the likes?
  3. Well that's not my/our problem. Maybe you should speak to the other person and see if they're just spamming likes passive-aggressively or if they actually like the content. Maybe in a way that isn't a big public post demeaning anyone who isn't liking a post for strictly content of that specific post. Not everyone thinks the same way as you or me, and I tend to be pretty tight-pursed with my likes because I love the attention that I get from people who work to make their posts deserve it (except when I'm in a thread with a person who doesn't know when to expect me to have read their posts or respond). And, really, likes shouldn't mean anything at all. It's a "yay, you posted, I like this", not currency that you give to someone else for a product or service. In fact, some people actually prefer getting a like for every last post (like [member="Jared Ovmar"]/[member="Samael Rekali"]) rather than just their best posts. If you have a problem with your own posts getting likes without actually being "worth" a like, which is your own opinion - someone else might think it is great, then communicate that with others directly.
At the end of the day, people are still going to keep liking comments regardless of whether they like them for their content or not, but if people are doing it to you and you want them to stop then you can ask them, directly, not to. Your very black-and-white definition of the purpose for the like button isn't shared by everyone, and that doesn't mean it's a bad thing - but don't expect, nor should you hope, that everyone is going to conform to that definition and stop doing it.

You don't know me. People with ADD have a low tolerance for frustration. So, yes, "trigger" is the right word. I used to rage at Super Mario Bros. for the Gameboy Color when I was but a mere child. I've come a long way from that, though. Instead of going off on something, *piff!* a little spark ignites, sizzles and dies in my mind. *piff, piff, piff!* Someone just posted with the worst grammar possible. *PIFF, PIFF, ZZZT!* Someone just used Mechu Deru to power game (wakemeup). Eventually, I post something like this because I believe it's a relevant experience that other people may have experienced, but didn't want to have to be the one to post about it.
'Tis more understandable then. I didn't intend to have it come off like I was denying the possibility of you having a reaction to it, and I apologize if it came off that way. You just have to understand that I tend to get a bit wary when people use the word- you've probably seen how it has been used these days. Yeah, a fair amount of people still use it seriously, but there are plenty of people who have turned it into a joke, along with even more people who have looked at the jokers/trolls as if they represented everyone. It's hard to even use the word seriously anymore because of the people who treat it like it automatically makes the speaker an idiot. As someone who has triggers of her own (oh, the sarcastic joys of childhood trauma), I tend to tread with caution when it comes to the term.

A final note: I actually have ADD too. Of course, my experience has evidently not been the exact same as yours (not that two people ever really have the same experience with anything, especially mental illnesses/conditions). Seeing a bunch of likes in a thread from the same person doesn't really bug me. Seeing bad grammar? That can irk me a little, but I've gotten pretty good at reminding myself that, as long as I can understand the meaning of the text, it doesn't matter too much. Especially considering the many reasons why someone might have bad grammar. What frustration I do get from it likely stems more from my OCD than my ADD. Luckily, these days both are mostly taken care of by my meds. Mostly.
[member="The Noble Scoundrel"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom