Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Sith Lord could walk right in front of the Council and they would lecture him about neutrality…

jedi_council.jpg

"With all of us may the Force be, and may the peace of this temple be ours, a place open to thought and speech, a realm of mutual respect, and a haven of shared noble purpose. Let us take these seats together, with no one above the others. May we work together, free from the restraints of ego and jealousy, at this gathering and all others to come.”

Corvus bowed to those assembled - having finished the formal opening to the proceedings. To those present via holoprojector and to absent friends.

There were ten seats in the room. A makeshift Council Chambers on the Kenobi Praxeum they’d been forced to use since they’d lost both Ruusan and Ossus at a stroke.

Corvus had requested their presence for one reason and one reason only. The Jedi Order needed leadership — and in her considered opinion, those present represented the best chance of that.

“You all know why you’re here. The invitation was simple…my style really. I wish for you all to form the new Council. To discuss the future of the Jedi Order. To make decisions and to be seen to be making decisions. And right now? To ask questions. Of me, of each other. Once we are concluded, you can decide if you wish to be part of whatever it is we agree to. There may be votes. My only stipulation is that I do not typically vote. It is something I instigated previously. I only vote if there is a tie.”

“But I have a voice — and will use it.”

“I don’t do politics. Perhaps I should — but I don't. We are Jedi. First, foremost and only. The greater good doesn't end at the borders of Republic space. We need to work with other Jedi to safeguard the galaxy — not work against them. And as long as we serve the Republic and follow the Code, I can ask no more.”

“Supporting other organisations and governments in times of need is a Jedi trait. And it is actively encouraged to help the Alliance or the Silver Jedi or any other Government in need. But our first priority is currently to the Republic. It’s what being a member of the Jedi Order means right now. But the choice is only necessary if there is a conflict of priorities.” She looked around the room.

“So..who wishes to speak first?” And with that she took a seat.

[member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Mak Manto"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Kira Talith

Kinetic Communication at its finest my Chick-e-dee
Ten seats.

Ten seats of the Council.

Oi vey, this felt awkward, mused the petite blonde at the far end of the circle, the holoprojector revealing the cerulean form of one Jedi Master Kira Talith nee Liadain. Worse for wear, the former Master of Shadows sat in the comfort of her home on Borleias, with her husband, Senator [member="Soliael Devin Talith"], taking emergency leave to tend to her most recent injuries sustained in the battle for Contruum.

It was odd, being here. When Kira had received the summons, she half considered it to be a figment of drug-induced stupor. Her time within the Jedi Order had dwindled in activity for long term investigative missions and had instead focused on teaching the next generation of the Jedi Order. Marriage had settled the Lorrdian, as much as it could, and her time had been devoted to aiding the Jedi Academy throughout its satellite houses. She had become a mere Jedi Academy Professor. This was a relief to her husband, seeing as it would put his wife and his children away from harm -- the Battle of Geonosis was a dark memory when it came to the ramifications of their children being subjected to the atrocities of war.

It wasn’t as if they ever sheltered them from the truth, but ever since then, Kira had a sense of growing concern and apprehension when it came to Aela, Micah, Maleah, and Kaili. One that only would increase with every invasion wave from the One Sith as their territory grew smaller and smaller amid their relentless assault.

For once, the typically peppy and optimistic Jedi’s expression turned serious. Behind her, she felt Soliael stiffen. Ever since the missive came, he had furrows over his brow, a perpetual half scowl that would frame his bright citrine eyes with a thick fringe of lashes and eyebrows. His presence was a stiffening shadow at her back, looming with increasing displeasure at the mention of just what his recently injured wife had fallen into.

A nervous drum of her fingers would tap out along the bar of her armrest, blue eyes glancing at the other nine holographic figures that would watch each other with a broad spectrum of uneasiness, concern, doubt, assurance, and perhaps… even hope?

With the sound of the waves of the Borleias’ ocean crashing upon the pure pink and white sand banks behind her, Kira took a deep breath. She wasn't ready to commit to anything right now. Not without seeing what would follow this congregation and after a discussion with Sol. As it was... things were rather tense. With what had occurred as of late, Kira couldn't blame them. Well, things are not going to go anywhere with everyone just eyeballing each other…

[ Grand Master Raaf, ] she began, shifting in her seat, a faint grimace tightening across her still tender nose. [ If our first priority is currently the Republic… what role are we as Jedi expected to play? ] having defined roles and knowing the limits of what they were along with any expectations was vital to their survival.

[ If we are to serve the Republic, exactly how are we to do so? ]

Tarrlok

In the Shadows, Ambition Stirs.
She was honored to be asked to sit on the council, she'd known this was privilege given to those who showed such aptitude in multiple areas. Shmi, herself, never considered herself to be an option. Though in times like these all she wanted to do was serve and preserve the life of the Jedi Order. However, she had been called away on business that only her closest associates knew about so she would be present via holoprojector.

Her image sat towards the right, just below a window that displayed the stars. Her legs crossed, and her hands sitting in her lap, humbly. She would listen as they all must to understand the direction of the conversation.

Her thought process was what some other have expressed, and saw how the idea could work. Though she wasn't sure how the others would react solely. She heard the words of [member="Kira Talith"]

"I will if I may... she said pointing her finger upwards to symbolize her intention of speaking. "I think involving the Jedi in politics takes away from our true purpose as peacekeepers...I for one would propose a separation of the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic. As Jedi I think we are spread entirely too thin. This wouldn't take away from the fact that we can aid the Republic, we could simply form alliances with such organizations; a treaty. That they are free to call on the aid of the Jedi if the need arises." she ended her statement with that, see what the others may have thought.

Shmi felt her ties were solely to the Jedi first, and that the schisms of the past must be mended. Having one established order would allow them all to recuperate. Once thats done, then they could access their next course of action.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]

To say she was shocked about the appointment had been an understatement. Even now, she was still pinching herself when Connor wasn't looking to make sure it all hadn't been crazy dream leftover from rhak-skuri pheromones. But no, it was real and now the blue holo-image of Taeli was seated in the makeshift Jedi Council chamber. To think she had once been judged by the council, almost all those faces were gone now though.

"Apologies if my signal cuts out sporadically, currently on a pilgrimage of knowledge of sorts," she said as her image flicked for a moment. "I agree with Master Labooda that politics and the Jedi do not mix and there needs to be a separation of sorts from the Republic. Not to an extreme, but something where we serve as advisers for tough decisions for the Prime Minister or if a mission that is too much for the Republic military to solve is needed. We should stay out of policy unless something like the rise of the old Galactic Empire starts up again, but I seriously doubt that Lasedri will do that. That should give us needed flexibility for forging closer ties with the other Orders in the galaxy."

That wasn't to say, she thought, that they shouldn't be active in helping the Republic military. With things the way there were, the Jedi could very well end up taking on a significant role in the chain of command.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Minna"] [member="Kian Karr"] [member="Phylis Alince"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"] [member="Mak Manto"]

Mantic was not sure he felt comfortable sitting in the chair. He had trusted that the Grand Master would continue to lead until the day when a new Grand Master appeared. This was a bold idea in these times.
At least to him.

But who was he to refuse the call, if [member="Corvus Raaf"] had deemed it important for him to present himself here he would do so.
He listened to the others talking turning his head slowly between them as they did.What was this talk about seperating themselves from the republic? He got a bad feeling from all this and a troubled eye sought the Grand Master. did she know what she was doing? Was there something he had missed.

While he had interacted with her on several times the others were still just names to him. Jedi Masters of the order of course - and through that Mantic held them in high regard. alas, he was also aware of the lax position some of the masters did hold on the traditions of the order. How else could so many have splintered away to form their own orders.

Mantic frowned. Was this what was happening. Was the Jedi Order moving away from its duty to protect the republic.
Swallowing Mantic decided not to pass judgement just yet. Instead he chose to remain silent for the time being and hear the others. After all, they were Jedi Masters and deserved to have their voices heard.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Minna"] [member="Mak Manto"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Just when Minna thought she had climbed to her highest point, considering the low she had been at years ago, there came an invitation. At first she had to consider an eye test, because she could have sworn it said Jedi Council. It in fact did, her eyes were not deceiving her. Of course she was honoured after overcoming the surprise, she knew she could make the most of it to help the order in these tough times. It wasn't her first time on a council after all, she had once sat on the Order of the Grey's council. Those days were easier though, the Grey was never in such a situation as the Jedi, and the Republic, were now.

Managing to attend in person, she sat in a seat to the left of the arrangement. From there she looked at the others gathered, most of which she didn't know personally. The few familiar faces were pleasing to see, Corvus of course but also her sister Taeli. She too had been a Sith, albeit of a higher position, and yet here they both were, finally on the right path and making the most of it. [member="Mantic Dorn"] too was in attendance, she had grown fond of the man ever since Balmorra, and gave him a greeting smile as she glanced at him. Something about his reaction to the proposal of seperation gave her a signal, that she was not the only one worried about such talk.

"While I agree politics is not our place, and that the Republic as a government should be able to function without us, we are needed now more than ever to support them. By all means we can distance ourselves from the Senate, but the Military and the People need us. We can't announce a seperation and we can't forsake them, not in these times. The Republic can't appear to look weaker than it already does." Minna paused slightly, giving a small exhale as she mused over her next words.

"We need to work closely with the Republic, not only for public image but to uphold tradition. The Jedi Order is, and has been for centuries, a vital part of the state and it would be a shame to have it any other way. Lest we forget our roots." Her concerns were voiced, and with that she ended. It remained to be seen everyone elses view on the matter.

[member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Mak Manto"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Sitting quietly among the others, Mak's hands were underneath his chin, listening to what they had to say, all of their opinions different but wise, for there was no concrete answer as to what to do. He was having his own internal battle on what to say to them, wondering if it was the time to tell them the full truth. Most notably, he was anxious on seeing the one Jedi on the Council who would be only a familiar face to him, one she wouldn't know.

It was a dangerous situation...

"During the days of the Old Order before the Clone Wars, we rarely ever dealt with the Senate. The Council spoke to the Chancellor, to advise him of certain situations, but we kept our distance between the politicians just as they did with us."

"However, this is a different situation. There are multiple factions and powers across the Galaxy, those who even dwarf the Republic. I don't know if not working with the government is the wisest answer anymore, and this comes from someone who doesn't trust senators that much..."

"Master Yoda once said that to be a Jedi means to face the truth and make a choice. The truth is this: hundreds of billions of people are now suffering from the worlds that were lost that now lie under the veil of the Sith. Every moment that passes means even fewer options for not just the Order but for all of those in the Galaxy who crave freedom and democracy. We're at the precipice, folks, and this may be the moment where we're pushed off the edge or manage to come back."

[member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"] - [member="Corvus Raaf"]

[member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Corvus Raaf"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Mak Manto"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Phylis was watching proceedings from on board the Wellspring, far out of the rapidly shrinking Republic. As each Master spoke or stayed silent her feeling of unease increased. Something was very wrong, and she couldn’t figure out what it was.

She started to pace restlessly, trying to drive the word Remnant from her mind. That was sadly the more accurate description of their situation. Phylis had always been loyal, to the Order, to the Jedi, to the Light. Now though she felt like she was the only one looking at the situation properly, as it ought to be. It was as though she was the only one not blinded by hope, nostalgia or stubbornness.

“Grandmaster, I thank you for your consideration. You have always been considerate to me, and I feel you are a great Jedi. However, I cannot accept this offer. As I said to you when we last met on Ossus, I do not believe I can be of any further service to the Order or the Council. I am a Jedi, and always will be a Jedi, but I cannot sit on the Council.”

She felt an incredible sadness as she looked away. “If any of you are disappointed by this, I offer my apologies sincerely. I do not believe the Galactic Republic is worth saving or capable of surviving. You all know my private comm channel, contact me if you would seek my advice or if I am needed. Until then, farewell.”

With tears running down her cheeks, the Jedi Master reached to disconnect the call.

The Jedi Order was indeed desperate if they would call upon Varus to take a seat on a Council he had never agreed that he deserved to be a part of in the first place. He was not wise like Kian or exceeingly resourceful like Taeli, and he was certainly not the leader that Corvus was. He was just a sword, blunted by war, aged by years of use and warped by loss and despair. He was not a legend among Jedi, and the Council had a strange habit of immortalizing it's members in one way or another, for better or worse. Still... he would never turn away Corvus or Kian, however. He'd had a steady record of responding to their requests post haste, and to that very day hadn't come to disappoint either of them. He was a tool to be used at the right time, and nothing more, yet here he was among Jedi far greater than he, expected to speak out and share his own opinions about the dire state of their Order.

Fine... He would share his opinion, but not for himself. Not so that he could hear himself talk. Only to share with them the way that he perceived it all, and nothing more.

When Phylis image slowly turned away there was nothing was said for quite some time as everyone mulled over what had been said. Varus himself had attended this meeting in person, and as he sat there, silently contemplating what good his words could do, he glanced between each any every one of them still present. Even those who's forms appeared in a scratchy blue, almost ghostly color. Finally his frozen gaze fell upon Corvus, and when he spoke out to them all, it was as if he was addressing her directly, knowing that each one of them would hear him regardless. The one he would understand his words the most, however, he chose to watch carefully so that she would know how serious he was about them.

"We can't do this anymore...", he whispered, raising one tired hands to his head, long and powerful fingers rolling across his scalp and pulling blonde hair back in order to keep it out of his face as he addressed everyone. "I don't agree or disagree with any of you, and truthfully, how could I?", he asked them as he pushed himself up out of his seat so that he could pace slowly out to the middle of the room, turning slowly as he continued.

"I'm not much of a leader. I am brash and I allow my heart to guide me more than the force. I'm not wise or boundlessly patient like Yoda. I was never as brave and determined as Mace Windu. Never was I as intelligent or resolute as a master like Plo Koon. I will never amount to these Jedi, and I know that.", he told them, still turning and looking at them in order to address them, each one. "Even now I am out of my element and among my betters, but that, I suppose, does not lessen the value in my opinion. Sometimes it takes a dense stone to cause a ripple in the pool of wisdom to institute change. Sometimes our list of choices isn't so limited that what we see is all we have left to include on the ballot.", he told them, allowing his hands that had been making slight motions towards those he was speaking to fell to his sides again as he took a step back towards his designated seat.

"I can't stand to watch as another campaign fails. I can't stand to see another brother or sister of our dwindling Order fall on a blood soaked field of dirt and muck. It's too much to bear.", he told them as he reached back and grabbed either armrest to his seat so that he could lower back into his place. "In times of great loss and unyielding despair, the Jedi have taken a step back from the Galaxy in order to lick their wounds. Those who have come before us have seen days of suffering and hopelessness only to emerge from that darkest of hours, a light still flickering with a purpose. A flame to ignite our greater cause that, since the dawn of the Jedi, has never been smothered out.", he said, now in nothing more than whispers.

"We are not the final chapter,", he told them, eyes scanning the floor for a few moments before he raised those ice blue eyes back to the faces of the others. "...but it is time for us to heal, not to fight. We can't keep giving the lives of our students for a fractured Republic that would see us expend our very last bright heart before they would build up their walls and ride out this storm.", he told them all, sighing as he leaned back into his seat, adjusting himself slightly for comfort as he crossed one leg over the other. He then rested his sore hands in his lap, turning them palm up to examine each and every cut and callus.

"Let us catch breath in the silent recesses of what little we have left..."

[member="Corvus Raaf"] - [member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Mak Manto"]

Tarrlok

In the Shadows, Ambition Stirs.
Her eyes shut almost simultaneously as Phylis' hologram dispersed into nothing, the emotion was there and thats because she cared deeply for the Order and stepping back was never really a easy thing to accomplish. Though for a second she had to keep herself from being overwhelm by those same emotions. Then [member="Varus Shatterstar"] stood up and began his speech.

Her opinions were quite similar to his and [member="Phylis Alince"] and perhaps the only reason she ever stuck around was so that she could finally convince her brethren to not throw themselves further into an abyss that they were already fighting to get out of. Her position as a seer taught her to accept the things to come. She decided to speak one more time before Corvus shared her thoughts on the matter.

She didn't stand, and only her soft voice could be heard starting right after Varus'

"I must say my views are quite similar...I don't see the survival of the Republic...and I don't think it worth saving as well. Some things are inevitable and cannot be averted, only endured. Some of us cling to the Republic and become blindsided by anything else. Sometimes things must fall in order to rise again from the ashes and I think the Republics dependency on us has inhibited ours and their chance of rebirth."

She sighed, and shook her head. At the end of the day, they were to safeguard the galaxy from all aspects of darkness and right now. There is no detrimental affects of a separation of the two entities, but if the others couldn't allow themselves to see past such things and look at the future, perhaps she had no place on the council either.

"Since the beginning and till eternity we have fought the war we thought we should. The journey up till this point is trying to force us to come face to face with our own reality, and the Jedi are in no way capable of waging this war in the state we're in by ourselves. I don't believe in sending our own to their deaths for a pointless cause"

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Minna"] [member="Mak Manto"]

Corvus listened. It was one of her traits. She was not fond of speaking just to hear the sound of her own voice. But she was no shrinking violet either. All had their say. Save Kian who was no doubt on some Shadow mission.

Phylis’ response was not unexpected. But Corvus had offered one last chance to remain on the Council and respected her long-standing friend’s decision.
And the conversation suggested a general consensus of opinion. Which was entirely positive — and perhaps a little surprising. Not that there was agreement, but by the nature of the direction of the conversation.

For word had reached Corvus’ ears that the Republic had decided to embrace the Hutt Cartel into its fold. It was just a rumour for now, but if this proved to be true, it would only cement the views she’d heard. Talks of an alliance with them were quickly smothered only a short while ago. To actually make their criminal organisation part of the Republic’s government? It beggared belief — at least to Corvus.

But the benefit of being a good listener was linked to a renowned patience. Not that she would prolong the conversation, but she would test her interpretation of what she’d heard so far. Perception could be a tricky thing to get right sometimes. She should know!

“So, I think a summary of what I’ve heard so far is in order. To see if what I heard was what others said, and if we all understood the same thing.”

She glanced around at the faces - both real and projected.

“Service of the Republic is clearly a topic for review, as opposed to a given. Which seems very wise. There is talk of a more clearly defined separation of Republic and Order. In truth they are not one in the same. We serve the Republic through choice and are entirely independent. But perhaps the lines have blurred over time. Perhaps…and this is just an echo of what I have heard…the demarkation needs to be clearer. For the Order’s sake as well as the Republic’s.”

“Aid for the Republic is not entirely withdrawn. I did not hear that necessarily. But I heard a general view that we should serve the needs of the galaxy, as opposed to a handful of planets. To support and help where need was greatest.”

She glanced at Mantic, who had yet to voice an opinion and hoped he would speak his mind and not be put off if the wind was blowing in a given direction that was not where he wanted to head.

And she looked to Minna. Her views were not entirely at odds with the others, but they weren’t precisely the same. “Any change in how we operate would be a majority decision within this Council. I would hope that, as an Order, we would uphold the outcome if we voted for it or not. This is what leadership is about. What we say here, we share freely, without fear of criticism or otherwise. But once a decision is made, we must stand together. For the vast majority of Jedi of our Order need to see us as unified. If we show dissension, our enemies are sure to take advantage.”

“So, for example, an Order that is for the greater good of the galaxy is formed. If a Jedi wished to support the Republic to the exclusion of other governments? If that was done and there remained truth between their heart and the Force? Who would judge them? Who would question them? But similarly, if a Jedi of our Order prioritised a former Republic world, to rid it of slavers at their government’s request? To do so ahead of a routine patrol on a Republic planet? Once more, who would argue they were wrong?”

“To echo words already spoken, we have a choice to make. Not an easy one. If it were easy, any one of us could make it. And we need to remember who we are. We are Jedi. First, foremost and only.”

“And please do not believe my words are one of someone who has made their mind up on this matter. And I’ll not call for a vote prematurely. We are equals here. If anyone has a motion to put to the vote, call it out. Otherwise let the debate continue. Minna and Mantic, I would urge you to speak now, your wisdom is as valid as any in this gathering.”

[member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"] - [member="Mak Manto"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Kira Talith"]

There was both disappointment and a sadness to the gathering. These were jedi Masters, the elite of what the order could muster in trust, wisdom and power.

Yet, they seemed to have lost faith. Mantic was about to remain silent as he for a moment locked eyes with [member="Minna"]
The one who had saved his life on Balmorra. He smiled back.

"Well," he began. "While I do not share each and ones insight on the republic politics I consider that abandoning the one true democracy in the galaxy because they are loosing the war against the sith is poor judgement." Mantic swallowed. Was he really attempting to lecture these, the council. Was his word even worthy of consideration?

"The galactic chaos is our fault. The force is a dangerous tool and should be kept in a tight leash, or it too easily opens the path of darkness that we see all over the galaxy."

"You speak of Masters of old, Yoda, Windu.., Obi Wan...." Mantic lowered his gaze. He was partly ashamed for his words but felt obliged to continue.

"Is it not their teaching that force users are to be taught by the jedi order and kept away from items and people that one can form bonds with. Because they will to easily be our way to damnation."

"We have failed here and the force runs like wildfire across the universe because of it. We are too lax about our duty. We are not the ones to separate ourselves from the senate. The senate is the one that should be deciding where they need us best. The moment we start to make rulings above this democratic elected body we have entered a most dangerous path. A path that so many before us has taken. But none have contributed to oppose the darkness like the Republic."

Mantic looked up with a tired sigh.

"To not offer ourselves as fully committed servants of the republic is to some cowardice, but I say it is unwise."

He looked down again.

"That is my opinion." he mumbled and started to smooth his robe.

[member="Kira Talith"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Mak Manto"] [member="Phylis Alince"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Corvus Raaf"]

"The Senate should not be trusted with the duties of the Order. They are not Jedi, not anyone who has spent years dedicating themselves in trusting the Force, in handling its power to stop the evils of the Galaxy. Should we work with them? I believe we should, but I wouldn't impose my own views upon them as to what makes a politician as they seem to see with telling us how we should handle the Order."

Perhaps he was being too rough with Mantic, but the man was now sitting on the Council, an equal upon the body. Maybe it was time to not speak softly but simply face the truth, just as Master Yoda said.

"I still believe we need to hit the Sith where it hurts. They're growing more powerful with each attack. This invasion has now split the Republic in half and we're to think that if we merely sit and rest, we'll be fine? I hear your words, Master Shatterstar, but I've already seen the Old Order burn to the ground once, and I refuse to watch it happen a second time."

[member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"] - [member="Corvus Raaf"]

Soliael stood behind his wife, slightly out of phase with the hologram. He didn't exactly know what to think, and he certainly wouldn't be saying anything.

Kira had suffered an injury, and when the invitation for this...council had come, his knee jerk reaction had been to ignore it entirely and not tell her about it. Of course in the end he hadn't done that, it wouldn't have been right, and likely also not very effective. He knew that Kira would have found out one way or another, and he knew that if she wanted to do it...well she was bound to do it eventually. His one condition had been rather simple, he be there when the meeting happened.

That way, when things got too stressful, he could pull her from the entire thing.

It might have seemed silly to some, but [member="Kira Talith"] for all her spryness was aging, and with that age came a greater burden on the body. She had suffered through combat, being bitten by an amphistaff, and had survived. Now she needed rest and relaxation. Decisions on the Jedi Council, on the Republic, on everything were not relaxing. It wasn't what she needed right now, and Soliael had argued that exact point for more than a few moments before the meeting had even begun. Soliael was not pleased about this, though as they spoke he remained absolutely silent.

It wasn't his place.

Kira Talith

Kinetic Communication at its finest my Chick-e-dee
[member="Mak Manto"] [member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"] @Minna @Taeli Raaf [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]

Kira gave a mental sigh, her tiny shoulders sinking a bit.

Devin wasn’t happy, she could feel that through the ring that bound them as close as the Force ever could. To be frank, she couldn’t blame him. He was worried and concerned. They both had their own little quirks when it came to such deals, even if she was a bit more actively worried about the kids. But they were all based on affection and concern for the other’s wellbeing, so she couldn’t fault him on that.

Granted, the past few years had been more Soliael taking on a leadership role within the Republic. He was the Senator of Borleias, the tropical paradise that they had built a home. They knew very well what it meant with the Sith threat right at their doorstep. They could very well invade Borleias at any given time.

Now, however, was a more pertinent question. What would the Jedi Order do? And how were they going to do it?

The Lorrdian Jedi Master had been working intimately with the Jedi Academy the last few decades. And while she wasn’t the sort to be in the front lines, she would defend her students and the younglings under her care if she had to.

“If I may…” Kira began, her voice drifting from the holo array’s speakers. “I was taught as an initiate that the Jedi have a duty to public service,” she began, bright blue eyes drifting across the other eight holograms within the communications room of her home. Soliael didn’t skimp on his high tech toys, that’s for sure!

“Those lessons taught each and every one of us the following,” and for a moment, Kira was back in from of Jedi Master Ben Watts, her first Master. Her childhood best friend. Her family.

“That a Jedi will render aid. A Jedi would defend the weak. A Jedi would provide support…” her tongue went sweeping over her chapped lip and her fingers thrummed upon the arm rest. Soliael beside her grew tense. “And that we have a duty to the Republic.”

A few seconds would pass as she let that linger.

“Yes, we serve the Republic and are expected to uphold its laws and ideals, to protect its citizens.” there was no doubt about that. However, there was more to it, “But ultimately, the Jedi Order has no authority over the Republic.“

“We as members of the Jedi Order hold no rank in Republic hierarchy--- and serve only when asked.” her voice rang quietly to all present. “We were taught that as Jedi, we assist by word or action as required by the situation, by offering advice when requested to, warning when necessary, and arguing only when reason failed.”

“At all other times we have stepped to the side; the lesson being that at times it is necessary for a Jedi to stand aside and let other people defend the weak, even if we felt that the Jedi could do a superior job... “

She blinked.

“Is this one of those times where perhaps the Jedi should stand aside?”

Varus reached up to rub his palms into his eyes for a few moments, his elbows resting on the tops of his knees, as if he were tired, and in fact, he was. His exhaustion had been of the mental sort, however, and not as much physical, although he'd been kept up later than he typically would allow the last few nights, thinking on the very subject the Jedi Masters discussed between them that very moment. He was tired of all the efforts put forth just so that they could fail again and again. All those lives, the thousands of Jedi lives that had been expended in failed attempts at regaining control where the Sith had gained it. It was too much for him to stomach, and he wasn't ever going to be able to agree that it had all been worth it.

They had all accepted the faith that there was peace to be had in the galaxy, and that it could be earned if they devoted themselves to Jedi ideals that in theory were true, but in practice were far from perfect. The idea was to protect and to serve as guardians of peace and democracy across the galaxy. To fight for a free thinking and patient future of beings that could decide for themselves who they were, what they wanted and how they wanted to live. It was right and it was just, and it was also a fool's errand when their resources were nearly depleted and their moral was so incredibly low.

"I respect your bravery, Mantic Dorn, and to Master Manto, I admire your perseverance, but I must stand on the other side of the line.", he told them, glancing between them both before his ice blues fell upon Corvus when he let his elbows slip from the tops of his legs and fell back into the cushioned seat behind his back. "I can't send another student of the force to their dooms against our enemies who are far better prepared, their momentum at it's pique.", he told them, shaking his head lightly before he looked away from Corvus and to the center of the room.

"We sit on this Council and speak as if we have the resources and the footing to do something about all of this when we don't. We can't afford to lose any more of our kind in order to hold the Republic's lines. We support the Republic in times of need, yes, but they don't own us. The Republic hasn't built this Order from the ground up over centuries of struggling against a darker version of ourselves.", he said, his right, middle knuckle rapping lightly over and over against the hard, wooden hand rest of his seat. "We are volunteers, and we don't have the strength to continue this fight. Not now. Not for quite some time.", he told them, his voice growing a bit softer.

"We are but Masters who have been lucky to make it as far as we have surrounded by children with glow sticks. We're exhausted, and I'm not sending any more of my students into a war they likely won't live through. I'm not sending teenagers to fight for their lives against an enemy who hasn't lost a single step in more than a year.", he told them firmly, though his voice was still nothing more than whispers.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] - [member="Kian Karr"] - [member="Phylis Alince"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Mantic Dorn"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Mak Manto"] - [member="Soliael Devin Talith"]

Mantic stroked his beard thoughtfully. This meetings purpose was still hidden to him. Did thr grand master mean for a council to be formed or was this a step to dissmantle the order?

Having bern one of the present masters who most recently had reached the position he was still not the youngest. He recalled a different time, albeit from the safety of an academy of course.

"It is not bravery, it is duty." he mumbled as a short response to [member="Varus Shatterstar"] but he bit his lip. There was no point in argueing over words.

"In our simplest form we, the jedi order, are a shield for the innocent. For those unable to protect themselves. The Galactic Republic is not capable of defending itself against the darkness that is overshadowing all. To leave its side in its moment of need..?" Mantic slowly shook his head. More to himself then anything else.

"Where else but in the republic can we see a struggle for democracy and free people of such magnitude as right here, at the bright center of the republic?" again, the question was directed to himself.

He raised his voice to adress the council.

"We can not talk about standing down. We can use different strategies. Offer to train the republic troopers how to fight force users and broaden our efforts in training padaeans instead of pursuing personal goals..."

"This is the darkest of times, now is not the time to abandon the republic. We must stand firm and show the galaxy that even though we are few, the jedi still protect the system that the darkness fear the most."

"Perhaps we need a middle ground," Taeli said, cutting across anything that might resemble an argument. "We are clearly split on how to proceed, so perhaps we should pursue both paths. We need a new temple, one not so easily found or entered by our enemies. In our Order's history, there have been Hidden Temples before and I would say perhaps we should look at establishing one ourselves in the Outer Rim."

Leaning forward in her seat so her hologram did the same, she looked at each person here. Each Master present that formed this council was aware of the problems the Order faced.

"Lothal was once a site of one of our academies, a place where only a Master and apprentice could enter as the door would only open when two light side wielders used the Force on it," she continued saying. "Using the old academy or building a new one in that style would certainly give a safe place to rebuild the Order ... train and prepare our students for the galaxy. However in the meantime, we can't just abandon our duties to the galaxy in trying to preserve peace where we can and fighting the darkness. Some should go oversee the new temple, while others stay here with those who want to stay and do their duty."

Tapping her chin in thought, she leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs.

"Jedi should volunteer to help fight against the darkness for the time being, in the best ways they can. If that means fighting along side Republic, Alliance, rebels, or Sanctum forces, then they should do so. If it means developing new techniques or medicines, they should do so. But many of our apprentices should not go alone to anywhere, they need to be in a group with at least a Knight or Master heading them up. It has been a problem for us in recent battles that many of our Padawans get taken or fall. They can't go it alone anymore."

It was a root problem that many here had seen, but nothing had been done to stop she felt.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Mak Manto"] [member="Minna"]

Since her last input Minna had sat silently, pondering over what the others were saying. Frequently she glanced at Mantic, especially when he too rose to speak, and wondered whether they were right. They both wanted to help the Republic, but she was starting to realize they were not the only ones in need of protection.

"The Jedi are the peacekeepers of the Galaxy," She nodded, thinking aloud to the council. "While in our tradition we have stuck by the Republic and been their guardians, there are other powers at play now. Both allies and enemies that have created a situation not seen in a long time. The Sanctum, The Alliance, and no doubt more to come. There are others deserving of our aid, and while we should not abandon the Republic, we must not favortise them. Every innocent life deserves protection," Her eyes glanced at Mantic, not wanting to abandon him on his plea to stay with the Republic, but knowing that this plan was a compromise between them all. "So I agree with Taeli's plan, to relocate to the Outer Rim. We can operate from there, but still spread ourselves across the galaxy. Aid those in need, not just the Republic."

"As for the Padawan problem, I also agree. We can't afford to lose anymore of the next generation, they're what keeps the order alive." With nothing else to say she leaned back, ready to listen to anymore who wished to speak. Her decision had been made, but she wondered how easy it would be to win over a man like Mantic. He was stubborn in his loyalty to the Republic, and she admired that, but maybe this was a time for them to distance themselves from the Republic; both physically and politically...

[member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Mantic Dorn"] [member="Varus Shatterstar"] [member="Kira Talith"] [member="Mak Manto"] [member="Shmi Labooda"] [member="Corvus Raaf"]

Mantic gave Master Minnas words some time to sink in before he continued. He had guessed where this was leading and even though he was honored that these jedi, the very elite of the order had accepted him into this sanctum he knew what he had to do. As a youngling this was what he had dreamt about. As a jedi this was what he had admired and respected above all else, save perhaps the Grand Master herself.
He could however not see how these talks was going to strengthen the diminishing light of the core worlds. It was to Mantic not the preferred course.
He lowered his head to build up his courage before he stood to the assembled.

"I believe the time for discussing this is drawing to an end. I do not agree with this choice of actions, but neither do I claim to possess the collected wisdom of the assembled."

"I will always honor our present grand masters code of conduct and will not ignore the opening paragraphs of it." he inclined his head toward [member="Corvus Raaf"]

"It is however not for me to lead in this situation. I would deem it unwise for me to be in the council when I can not be true in my heart of its direction. I ask that you release me of this duty." he motioned with his hand to the empty chair behind him.

"However, rest assured, that while I can not lead, I will follow." he took a deep bow before the council hoping that they would agree with his plea.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] - [member="Minna"] - [member="Taeli Raaf"] - [member="Varus Shatterstar"] - [member="Kira Talith"] - [member="Mak Manto"] - [member="Shmi Labooda"] - [member="Phylis Alince"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom