Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Neglected Conscience

Her words were met with a quick response, “There isn’t anyone in the galaxy that I would rather spend my time with, Miss Valae. Though,” Jake paused for the briefest of moments, “I think you might be underestimating some time.” He laid the gauntlet down. Whatever path the force was going to take them on, Jake decided that in the end, he’d be by Valae’s side. Sudden? Yes. Rushed? Not at all. For the first time in a very long time Jake was opening himself up to just one other person. Based on her reaction to his words, Jake assumed she didn’t quite see the hidden meaning behind his earlier statement. He wouldn’t push it. He’d let her come to that realization on her own.

When she grew a bit more serious, Jake stiffened. “Dark times and misdeeds are also an understatement. You are right though, I've changed from those days.” If there was one life that Jake honestly regretted taking, the only life that still haunted him to this day, it was of Jedi Padawan. His first kill. One that looking back on did not need to happen. He could have made his same statements using her as a living tool instead of the instant gratification of shock and awe against the order.

The remainder of their flight was quite light hearted in nature. Though both were getting acquainted to one another, Jake did as Jake does best. He was honest and caring but what was on full display was his charisma. He didn’t hold a overly macho attitude. He didn’t compete with other men. He simply didn’t care. He was Jake Daniels. He was who he was. Through the many corny jokes, rather slick compliments to Valae that managed to draw a couple of blushes, the atmosphere was refreshingly light.

No one could have asked for anything better.

They may not have spoken a thousand words at any given time but just sitting next to Valae; it felt to Jake as though they were still conversing. Words didn’t need to be spoken between them. That pull on the force was still there. Jake was beginning to get a wonderful feel for Valae. Yet that was developing into a paradox. Jake didn’t care what other men thought of him. That could all go suck on a lemon. Yet Jake feared for Valae’s opinion of him. It was strange, really. Different, absolutely. He wouldn’t fight it though. She may have very well been the only person in the galaxy whose opinion Jake cared about. This was simply all too interesting.

Once the ship pulled from hyperspace, Jake went to work. He turned his chair and checked the navigation computer. The systems of the ship began its instinctual readings as it needed to get the flight in at just the right angle. The first thing about the planet? It was brown and blue with large swaths what looked like green smoke in the skies.

“All of the planets lakes and oceans are irradiated. Only the smallest of life survives. Fish, whales, sharks, and most crustraceans are extinct.” Jake explained as the ship broke the atmosphere and began to glide over an eerily calm blue body of water. “Honestly that’s one thing I didn’t know. Water is a great absorber of radiation. That’s why centuries later its still toxic to even put your feet in for longer than a few moments.”

He fell silent as the he plugged in the coordinates of the last place he saw his little droid Skillet. When they finally passed over land, Valae took note of the holo-map and followed the twenty degree drop towards the surface. “The land itself it just barren as you can seen. Very little plant life grows. Most people live in small communities like those," Jake motioned for Valae to look out of the cockpit window and down towards the surface. "That community is empty. The occupants were killed off some months back from what I learned." Jakes icy eyes turned towards the distant horizon. "Those green clouds are thunderstorms filled with radiation. Deadly if you're caught out unprotected. Just a nuisance if you're indoors with some level of personal protection. That's just one of the threats we need to watch out for them."

It was then that Jake spotted the abandoned fuel station he had called home. It was just as he had left it, dilapidated though there was a rather large and new addition to its western side. A old hunk of junk freighter that looked far worse for wear than The Tumbleweed. Jake knew this was no longer a shot in the dark. The cloak woman had been right. The Smuggling trio had come looking for him.

"I know that ship." Jake said with surprise. "Belongs to a Twi'lek, Togrutra, and Human smuggling group I associate with. Why the hell are they here?" He knew the answer though he held why back. He'd tell Valae, but not quite yet. As Valae brought her ship around for another view, Jakes heart sank when he saw no movement on the ground below, "And where the hell are they? I also don't see my droid." He turned towards Valae, "Please land the ship next to theirs. I promise no harm will come to The Tumbleweed. I need to find them."

saw no movement As soon as the ship was brought down gently, Jake stood and peered out of the window. No life. "Good. It's clear. The fortunate thing about this planet is the lack of vegetation means we can spot anyone coming for miles. Would you mind checking out their ship? I'm going to head into the building."
[member="Valae Kitra"]

During their journey to the uncharted planet, Valae had a good time getting to know Jake. He made her smile, laugh, and even blush. And during moments of silence, she found herself glancing at him often. She hoped that he hadn’t noticed how many times her gaze drifted his way. Though he appeared a bit rough around the edges, there was definitely charm. She remembered the times when he had smiled, and she found herself wanting to see Jake smile more often.

As the planet became visible, Valae turned her attention to the ship’s controls once more. She listened closely as Jake provided her with the background and details about the current situation here. It was a shame that the planet was so dangerous, for the deceivingly calm blue waters almost looked pleasant. Almost. The landscape here was sparse, dusty ground and very little in the way of flora. Her eyes focused on the village as they passed by, the empty feeling here was eerie.

“I’m sure we’ll find them,” She offered with an encouraging smile.

She brought the Tumbleweed down next to the freighter. Valae found herself looking to Jake again, she was worried for him. Valae nodded as he asked her to check out the ship, but she had to admit that she was feeling hesitant to leave his side. The area looked pretty quiet, deserted even… so there wouldn’t be much to worry about… right? Valae went through the cargo bay once more, picking up her blaster and saber – she hoped that she wouldn’t need them. As they exited the ship, she turned towards the building that Jake had mentioned.

Tugging on his sleeve gently, she looked up into his eyes. “Be careful, okay?”

She smiled before reluctantly moving off on her own. As she neared the seemingly abandoned freighter, she approached with caution. Valae ran a hand along the ship’s outer hull; this ship was certainly a bit of a rust bucket. Appearances meant very little to her, she was sure that the ship likely had redeeming qualities… even if that was only the ability to get its crew from A to B. Opening the hatch, she made her way inside. It was dark. Pulling a light rod from her belt, she lit it up and took careful steps.

The sound of her boots echoed slightly through the cargo bay. So far, there were no signs of life – she could not sense the presence of anyone inside. But still, there was the troubling sensation that she was being watched. Narrowing her eyes, she began to make for the corridors to move towards the ship’s bridge. And as she rounded the corner, she suddenly felt something ram against her legs. Valae let out a startled cry as she fell backwards to the ground. Her hand was already hovering next to her blaster.

Bringing her light rod forward, she illuminated the form of an astromech.

It’s beeping sounded agitated. The small droid rolled backwards, and then angled its top down again… ready to make a second pass at Valae. She held her hands out in front of her.

“It’s okay—I’m not an intruder!” She spoke quickly, “I’m a friend!”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

When Jake felt the tug on his sleeve, Daniels brought his gaze into Valae's darkened oculars. Her expression that she wished him to be ok was met with a slick little grin. A hand gently reached up towards his face, cupping as he had when they had kissed and allowed his thumb to run across her cheek, "You too."

Then they went to their separate targets.

As Jake came to the garage door, he noted three sets of footprints all over the place. He recognized each of the pairs as belonging to one member of the smuggling trio. The Knight made one pass around the building, taking in the details of each pairs trail. They hadn't ventured far upon first arriving. Yet he did notice all three heading off in the direction of the Tithe Farm. As he finished his loop, he spotted Valae opening the hatch to the ship. Once she was aboard, Jake allowed himself to finally enter the building.

Opening the garage door, Daniels immediately noticed the surprising visual of... nothing. Nothing had changed. Nothing had been moved. Since the last time he stepped foot inside the small building, everything had been left the way it was. Yellow paint peeling off the walls, the dirty mattress that he slept on during his unfortunate accident here. The old rusted workbench he had toiled away on in a desperate attempt to repair his ship remained recently unused. The last bit of sheet metal was still in the vice's grip. More importantly, the small vent where he hid his lightsaber was still stuck to the wall.

Glancing at the garage door, Jake noted that the hinges were not as dusty as other parts of the garage. Jake surmised given that, and the lack of footprints on the floor that his friends opened the door, saw he wasn't there, then closed it.

"Skillet?" Jake called out.

No response.

The Knight perked a brow and glanced at the spot the little astromech had always parked himself. It was then Jake noticed the fresh set of small track from the droids tiny wheels under its feet. The droid must have rolled out when the door had opened. Turning his attention to the jumbled heap of a personal star ship, Daniels also noted that it looked worse than when he had left it. In fact, it seemed to have fresher burn markings inside the cockpit. Opening it up, Jake pulled out a duffel bag. Quickly he changed into new clothing.

The Knight headed to the mattress and lifted it up. Picking up his walking cane, the Knight then used the force to simply rip the vents cover from the wall. His palm face the darkened hole. Within a second, a dulled silver saber hilt shot forth. The same blade Jake had constructed after he started a family with Lady Reticea. Jake then grabbed just a few other items. Opening a draw to an old cabinet, the Knight pulled out a packet of small white pills. On the outside was written the words Radiation Repellent. The second packet he pulled out had large grayish pills marked Radiation Cleanser.

Back through the garage, the Knight's eyes followed the trail of the droids wheels. As his eyes came to the ramp of the ship, Daniels first felt it. The pull of the force was violent this time, nearly ripping the Knight forward as it screamed at him. Valae's emotions were heightened. As his feet took off in a sprint, just a mere second or two later, he heard her shout of surprise from inside. Everything was dropped, except his saber which was back in his palm.

"Valae!?" Jake shouted.

Like an Alpha running through his territory, Jake was focused. His feet slammed onto the metals floors as he let the pull guide him. Down one corridor the Alpha went into a fiery protective state. He could feel the darkness begin to consume him, the dark passenger forcing its way out as his eyes began to change. Who or what had threatened Valae?

"Valae answer me!" The sound of his voice was deep, hoarse, and gruff. He wasn't asking. He was commanding. Yet beneath the order was the unmistakable marking of outright concern.

Skillet had stopped its second charged when it was quick to analyze and determine that Valae wasn't a threat. The droid spun its head, twirled its body and let out a series of squeaks, whistles, and clicks in both excitement and panic. The droid suddenly stilled, realizing he had taken Valae by surprise and tilted forward once again. A small gentle whistle escaped it. Its way of saying 'Sorry for scaring you.'

"Skillet?" Jake said catching the astromechs attention. The fear evaporated from Jake. The dark passenger subdued and the darkness around Jake vanished. She was safe. Daniels rushed over, clipped his lightsaber to his belt, and helped Valae to her feet. "He didn't hurt you, did he?"

The Droids peaceful demeanor with Valae suddenly changed to semi-hostile towards Jake. It let loose another series of whistles, clicks, and chirps.

"Listen..." Jake tried to say before being cut off. "Can I expl...." The droid let out another loud whistle. "You need to und..." Daniels rubbed the bridge of his nose as the Droid continued to sound off on the Knight. "Skillet!" Jake shouted.

The Droid suddenly stilled.

"I don't speak angry droid. Where's the screen?" Jake said.

Out of the top of Skillets dome a small tablet appeared and lit up. As words began to appear, Jake turned towards Valae, "Unfortunately its one skill I didn't learn as a Apprentice. I can't understand droids so I had to have this little guy equipped with some means for me to understand him." It was just one of what Valae would learn to be many of Jakes short comings with the force. The Knight turned his attention back to Skillet and knelt down beside him.

'You left me! Said you'd be back in two days! It's been eighty three! Where were you? Why didn't you come back? Who's she? Why did your friends come? They haven't returned?'

"I know I left you and I'm sorry but I didn't have a choice in that matter. I'll explain later. I promise." Jake voice was softer with the droid now as both the man and the little metal cylandrical being seem to come to an understanding. "I was taken off world by my Master, but again I'll explain more later. Things got complicated as a result which is why I couldn't immediately come back. She's...," Jake turned towards Valae and let out a small smile, "someone special."

It was here the droid rolled in between both Jake and Valae. His head spun around, looked at Valae, looked at Jake, back to Valae, then back to Jake.

'Since when do you smile?'

"Very funny." Jake snarkly replied, "Back on topic. You mentioned my friends. Where are they?"

'I don't know. They arrived two weeks ago. I told them where you went off too and they walked there. I haven't seen them sense. They had me stay on the ship.'

Jake put his hand to his mouth, "No one else has come around since then?"

'No. I've used my sensors and only picked up indigenous life. No sentient beings.'

There was a moment of silence as Jake pondered what he would do next. "We can't take the ships. Its too much of a risk if we're spotted. We're going to have to go by foot. Skillet, I want you to go onto Valae's ship. It has stronger sensors and communications. She has a way to communicate with it so if we need you or you need us, we can notify one another. We're heading to Tithe Farm..."

The droid stuck out a small tool with an electrial output and moved close to Jake.

"Easy! I'm not bailing on you. I promise." Jake said with his own hands up. "She won't let me."

The droid turned towards Valae for reassurance.

"Miss Valae," Jake said, "Up for a little adventure? Its about a two hour walk south east in a straight shot. No buildings or settlements between us and the farm. Just wasteland. All we'll need is some water for the journey."

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Jakes New Outfit

Valae breathed a sigh of relief when the little droid stood down. As a former salvager, she had a way with droids. This little one reminded her of her Master’s astromech, Teetoo, and how he had taken to her right away. But her attention shifted, she could feel the darkness rising within Jake. It was troubling, but she knew that it was born of concern for her safety. His shouts had not gone unnoticed, but the frantic motions of the droid caught her eye. Valae listened as the droid offered a flurry of apologetic tones, and she smiled.

“Not to fret, it’s okay.” She said with a nod.

A moment later, Jake was there in the corridor with them. The darkness she had sensed had settled once more, and she accepted his help to get back to her feet. “I’m fine, just fell over is all.” Valae was unharmed, though her backside was a mite sore from her fall, a detail she would keep to herself. She blinked as the astromech suddenly went off on Jake, and she bit her lower lip softly. The little droid had quite an attitude and seemed to demand answers.

She nodded as Jake explained his method for communicating with Skillet, but kept quiet as the two had their exchange of words. And when Jake described her as ‘someone special,’ Valae couldn’t keep the grin off her face. As the droid came between them, her boots took her a step back. A hand rose to her mouth to cover her smile and suppress a small laugh as Skillet questioned the fact that Jake had smiled.

Listening to the rest of the story, it seemed that Jake’s friends had moved on to a different location. Valae had the feeling that they were in for another journey, thoughts that were confirmed a moment later by Jake. The prospect of a two hour walk made her feet ache, especially given their morning trek through the jungle. But she would do her part to help.

“Another adventure?” She canted her head to the side, “Sounds good.”

But before moving back out of the ship, she turned to Skillet to offer reassurance.

“Don’t worry, I’ll bring him back. Promise.” She glanced at Jake, then back to Skillet. “Go on to the Tumbleweed, make yourself comfortable.” And then, in a hushed voice, she added “I speak binary, so we can communicate just fine.”

As the two parties made way for their destinations, Valae glanced over her shoulder as Skillet rolled towards her ship. The little droid was endearing, for sure. Turning her attention back to the open horizon, she nudged Jake playfully with her elbow.

“Is your droid jealous of me?” She asked, teasing. “How long have you had Skillet?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

"He might very well be." Jake laughed as Valae nudged him. "As for how long I've had him? Hmmm..." Jake counted on his fingers, "About five or so months, counting the two and a half we've been separated. He belonged to Amorella Shamalain, the youngest daughter of my Master. She gifted him to me as a way for me to have company." Jake glanced to the east and noted the green clouds growing on the horizon. He'd have to watch out for those later. "He hates being left alone. I discovered real quick the droid has a little bit of an attitude. Perhaps that's why Amorella gave him to me. She probably wanted someone to be a pain in my arse as much as I am other." Another chuckle escaped his lips.

As they came up to a large root that emerged from the ground, Jake took Valae by the hand and helped her over. Did he have too? Not at all but it did offer a rather obvious reason to hold onto her hand. Instead of letting go, the Knight interlocked their fingers as they continued their stroll. Her skin was soft. His rough yet their grips held tight to one another.

"Neither of us will admit it to the other but we care... in our own way. I think I mentioned he's the reason we crash landed. He did not want me erasing my mind." Daniels gave a look at Valae, "And if I am to be completely honest, given that I'm holding the hand of someone remarkable, I'm glad he stopped me."

Jake's smile never left his face. It was nice. Just to talk to someone. Valae didn't judge him. She didn't scold him. Nor did she preach to him. She wasn't the sort of Jedi that tried to beat him over the head with what is right and wrong. Valae could see that Jake was trying. She'd had expressed such. She also seemed comfortable with Jake. For that he was thankful.

"The one thing I haven't told Skillet yet is that Amorella passed away not so long ago on Kuat. There was some event that took place. She was a part of it and unfortunately whatever it was, it took her life. I didn't have a particularly close relationship with Amorella, but Skillet did. I don't know how I will break the news to the little guy." Gently Jake's thumb rubbed against the back of Valae's hand, "I'll figure it out though."

Guiding Valae around several overturned trees, Jake fell silent. Was he boring Valae? Was he being too chatty? Perhaps he was telling her more than she wanted to know? His nerves heightened. His eyes drifted. His mind wandered. There was a pit in his stomach. He didn't want to bore Valae. He didn't want her to think that all he was interested in was talking about himself. He wasn't. The man wanted to know about Valae. The man wanted to acknowledge her own interests. Yet what could a former Assassin turned Guardian honestly talk about that would interest such a renowned Healer?

"Don't worry," Jake said breaking their momentary silence. "The Tithe Farm has the materials necessary to show you how they treat wounds here. There's something else you might be interested in though. Felucia has some remarkable water, unlike here. The Survivors here developed a process to filter water and reduce radiation. It isn't as clean as spring water but it's clean enough to drink and treat wounds..."

"Miss Valae," Jake said as he gave her hand an affectionate squeeze, "I know I'm probably not the best at small talk and I do apologize for just rambling on about myself. What about you? You mentioned you and your father had a small scrap yard.Ever have anything unique that someone scrapped? What was your father like?" He looked to Valae with an apologetic gaze, "That is, if you don't mind me asking about him of course."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae listened with a smile as Jake recounted the way he had come to own Skillet. And as they reached a rather large root that twisted along the ground, she held tight to Jake’s hand as he helped to over. Once she was safely on the other side of the tangle of roots, she allowed him to keep hold of her. As their fingers entwined, she felt the roughness of his palm against her own. It was a comforting gesture.

“I’m glad, too.” She nodded, letting their hands swing gently between them.

Her gaze softened upon hearing the news that Skillet’s former owner had recently passed away. There was nothing easy about delivering this sort of news, so she simply said “Best to break it to him gently.” Valae looked down towards the dusty ground for a moment, and let the silence fall over them. Turning her head slightly, she caught Jake in a sidelong glance as he explained about the Farm.

With a warm smile, she waved away Jake’s apology about small talk. And she thought for a moment to consider his question. “What can I say about Atticus – my father, that is…” Even though he was long gone, it still felt odd to call him father… this name had never seemed to fit him. It was a role that he had failed miserably to uphold. Blowing out a breath, she thought back to their home on Tatooine.

“He wasn’t much of a father, to be truthful.” A tiny frown found her face. “It wasn’t all his fault, it must not have been easy after my momma passed. I was just a kid when it happened; it was so long ago I can barely remember what she looked like.” It was rather sad to admit. “Atticus took to the bottle pretty hard after that, my Grandmother kept me for a few years, while he tried to get straight again. Unfortunately, he was never quite right after that. He was a notorious drunk; I can’t count the number of times I had to haul him home from the cantina…”

The thought of her father in his prime brought a small smile back to her lips. “I had to run the scrap yard myself most days, and I even had a second job as a waitress to help us get by.” The memories of this time weren’t the happiest, but they had shaped her as a person. “… The bottle did him in,” She admitted, a bit misty-eyed. “I had done nothing to help, at the time I thought it made him happy. But as an adult, I know that it was quite the opposite.”

Valae gave Jake’s hand a gentle squeeze, and attempted a smile.

“He never knew that I could use the force. I met my Master the night my father died. I wonder what he would think of all of this.” Valae could imagine that Atticus would have written all of it off, he never had held to the thought of mystical things. Turning her head away for a moment, she dabbed at the corner of her eyes with the hem of her sleeve.

“What was your family like?” She asked, keeping a firm grasp on his hand.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Alcoholism. It could be the downfall of any man regardless if they lived atop society or in its lowest rungs. It was the great equalizer in the galaxy. It tore apart not just a man but their families along with them. It punished not just them, but those close to them. Valae had unfortunately experienced first hand the ill-effects of liquor. Jake wasn't going to lie. He had the occasional drink. By concessional, it meant once in a blue moon when a special occasion occurred. When he did drink, it was always one. Never more. Valae didn't need to know that right now though. Perhaps another time.

With each forced smile that she gave, Jake didn't need the force to see the inner turmoil within her heart. Even if she didn't admit it, she cared for the man. Honestly, if she didn't then her memories would affect her the way they were. His heart sank as she dabbed at her eyes with her sleeves. His throat tightened when he saw the pain hidden behind her eyes. Even if she did her best to display a smile, her eyes revealed all. They always did.

He knew what he would say in response to Valae's inquiry about what her father would think. He wouldn't express it; not yet. Tonight perhaps. Tomorrow? He wouldn't dig into her past wounds. Now wasn't the time. When Valae asked about his family, Jake pondered which one? His parents on Dantooine or perhaps his wife and children?

"Welp my parents and family on Dantooine hadn't spoken to me when I became a Sith. I should probably look around for their descendants and see how the Daniels are doing on Dantooine. Perhaps see if any survived the plague centuries back." Jake explained. "I don't think you were asking about them though."

"My Wife, Lady Reticea, was Governess of Honoghr during the days of the Old Sith Empire. She wasn't purely dark though. She dabbled in both but was more what you would call a lover of text. She researched the force; both dark and light." Jake explained. "I met her when I was assigned as her bodyguard and overtime we developed feelings for her. She was married to a Sith Lord then, a real bastard of man whom I despised. They had a falling out and parted. Over time we developed a relationship. She was as smart as she was beautiful."

"My sons, Romano and Lysander were Night and Day when it came to personality. Romano, my youngest, was outgoing and highly vocal. Boy couldn't stay out of trouble. My oldest, Lysander, was much like his Mother. Quiet and reserved. The boys looked out for one another though. A loyalty between siblings I had not seen before." Jake explained.

"My Master, [member="Mahet"], was as much an enigma as I. Her loyalties were to her family first and foremost. Sith. Jedi. Underworld. None of it mattered. Only family. Did we have the best introduction? No but most pairings between Master and Apprentice within the Sith aren't usually peaceful." Daniels came to a momentary stop when he spotted the farm coming into view. "Hang on." His eyes scanned the outter perimeter of the shack. No movement. No activity. Where was everyone? Where were his friends? Jake took a look towards the distant clouds. Their size was growing which meant the storm was heading their way.

Jake still held firm to Valae's hand as they slid down a small embankment that led right to a well worn path. The path led right to the outer gates of Tithe Farm. "I mentioned yesterday that my Master instilled into me what she herself believed. Family above all else. Over time I earned her loyalty as she had earned mine. It was because of her that I was allowed to wed her daughter. With her guidance, insight, and yes, even love, I became a good father to my boys. I will always be eternally grateful for that." Jake's heart sank for a moment, "Even if my actions didn't always portray that."

"When the plague arrived on Honoghr my Wife and Sons fell ill. I never got a chance to say goodbye to them. As soon as I buried them, my Master had me put into a cryochamber." Jake's voice radiated with obvious shame, "I was so angry with her when I woke." His own eyes began to water. His vision blurred. "I couldn't see it...." he corrected himself, "I didn't want to believe that what she did was to protect me. I was just so angry... so very angry." Then came the recent memories on Honoghr, "And I did nothing but show my ungratefulness. I wish I could apologize."

Slowly Jake opened the gate and the duo walked towards the home, "But that will be a skeleton I carry in my closet for the remainder of my days." It was then that Jake noticed something different. There was a new addition to the farm. Several shallow graves, all seeming to have been recently dug. "Oh Lord." Daniels let go of Valae's hand and rushed over. Tears streamed down his face as he counted the graves. The Tithe Family had seven members. There were seven graves. The dark passenger in Jake stirred, his anger rose. What the hell happened to them?

His eyes shifted in their state. Yellow subdued the blue. There was no mistaking it. The Dark Passenger was out. Jake was in pain. Jake was pissed. He looked around, anger and pain evident in his expression as his eyes surveyed their surroundings. It was then he noticed a small piece of wood tied to a stick. It sat on the ground next to the last grave having fallen over.

'May those who've passed now know peace.'

"Rania!" Jake explained as he picked it up. "That's her writing." Jake turned towards Valae, "They're still alive!" The darkness around his yet again subsided. The suddenly yellow eyes shifted to their blue state as they locked on Valae, "Please check the home. I'll check the outer buildings. If they aren't here there has to be something to tell us where they went. Oh, and the house has a unique smell. Make sure to light the fireplace if its too much."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

It was a strange sensation to know that she was holding hands with a man that had had a wife and children. Valae herself had given little thought to settling down, but she couldn’t deny that it was something she wanted. Jake’s voice was laced with warmth as he spoke about Lady Reticea, and it was easy to understand that he had loved her deeply – likely still did. Valae found this very endearing. Jealousy wasn’t a good use of energy, and it wasn’t an emotion that she held onto. And she had a feeling that Jake still had room in his heart… if the kiss they shared last night was any indication.

He spoke about his two sons with the pride of a father – his words were quite touching. It was equally heart-warming and sad. Valae even felt the sting when Jake explained that his family had fallen ill during the plague. She couldn’t imagine. However, now she could certainly understand why Jake had wanted to wipe his memories clean. It made her even more thankful that he hadn’t been able to go through with it. His family deserved to live on in his memories, and Valae decided that she would help him come to terms with things… but this would have to wait.

She let out a tiny gasp as Jake suddenly let go of her hand.

Following his gaze, she saw why… Valae could feel the mix of sadness and anger take hold of Jake. As she came closer, she could see his eyes begin to change. He was in pain. “Jake,” She said, her voice a soft whisper. But the darkness was gone as suddenly as it had appeared. Coming to stand next to Jake, Valae knelt down to view the small hand-made plaque that marked one of the graves.

“Sure thing,” She said, nodding quickly when he asked her to check the house. “I’ll be back in a few.”

Valae reached out and gave his shoulder a comforting squeeze. There was much she wanted to say, but the situation was still quite urgent. Running towards the house, she pushed the front door open slowly. Indeed there was an interesting aroma here, and Valae pulled the neck of her shirt up over her nose. It was still and quiet, but in a very eerie way. Reaching out with the force, she could not detect any signs of life here. But she would make a quick sweep of the home, just in case.

As she walked inside, she noticed that the kitchen table had been overturned. There were dishes and utensils strewn about the floor. If she had to say, it looked like a struggle had taken place here. Quickly, she went room by room. Each one was empty; everything seemed to be in place – just as their occupants left them. It was upsetting to think that the family that once filled this home were now in the ground outside. There was more to this story, and she hoped that they would be able to put all of the pieces together.

Pausing by a window, she ran her fingers along the worn wood of the sill. Glancing outside, she could see Jake moving about the property. She would wait here for him, and there would be a fire waiting inside the hearth when he arrived.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

His fingers pressed down into the dirt trails. Two clean unbroken lines headed south west from the property. Inside both lines were mule tracks. There were dozens of footprints that Jake didn't recognize all of the area; though he did note a couple that he recognized as Cody's work boot. Coming to a stand Jake deduced what had happened. It wasn't good. The remainder of the property had been cleared. It seemed most of the action had occurred around the barn. Icy blues glanced towards fenced off area. One of several of the mules let out an obnoxious honking noise. It was time to head inside. Then Jake spotted it. A small hole in the side of the home.

"There was a fight." Jake explained as he entered the house, his eyes locked on a wall not too far from where Valae stood. He noted the warmth of the fire and flashed an appreciative smile. "It seemed when they arrived, the discovered the Tithes dead. I didn't find anything to show what happened to them and I am no gravedigger." The Knight walked to the window and pointed out towards the barn. "It must have happened moments after Rania buried the family. They were ambushed. A single shot punched through the wall here," Jake stuck his finger through the wood. "There were too many for them to handle. They were captured and whomever took them stole one of the two wagons along with a mule. Seems they packed up and moved out quick. Entire episode, with no blood spilled, took just a few minutes."

Daniels stepped from the window and surveyed the home, "Doesn't seem anything had changed since the last time I was here." Jake took a moment to glance back out the window. The clouds had grown dangerously larger. "We need to stay in for the night. A radiation storm is coming. The tracks head off towards a town some distance away. There is no shelter between here and there. We'd be stuck to the elements and I don't want to risk it."

Heading over to a shelf against a wall, Jake fumbled through some clay jars. He removed top after top, taking a glance inside each before finally the third to last had something.

"Bingo!" Jake said. He brought the clay jar to a small table, pulled up one of the two chairs. Dozens of white and grey pills fell out onto the table and Jake made quick work to separate the two colors. Jake then pulled out the two baggies he had and put the pills in each respective one. "The whites are a Radiation Repellent. The greys being Radiation Cleanser." Jake pushed one of the white over to Valae, "They're made from a combination of irradiated animal bone and radiation resistant herb. How it was explained to me was that the plants are ground up into a fine powder with the bone dust. When the plants enzymes detect radiation, it works to clean it out. In order to activate, the pills need to be dissolved. Water or stomach acid. The Radiation Cleanser is simply herbs mixed with what the Tithes called old world medicine. It is able to reduce dangerous levels of radiation in the body. They are meant as a last resort. Big thing is to not need them."

He handed both pill filled baggies to Valae, "There are a finite number of these. Without the Tithes around, these are all we have." Normally Jake would have carried something of such importance. However Valae was the healer. She was the stronger of the two mentally. When it came to their health, their needs, Jake's trust didn't waver. "Follow me and bring the white pills."

Jake snagged a small electrical device off a side table and the pair walked outside. Jake led the pair to an old rusted water pump. On its spout hung a metal bucket. "The safest water to treat and drink is in the planets surface. Though the radiation seemed deep into the ground, the water down there isn't as dangerous as surface oceans, rivers, and lakes." Jake pumped the handle a few times. Finally water trickled and then streamed out. With the bucket half full, he held the electrical device over it. Immediately hundreds of clicks per minute sounded. "This is a homemade Geiger counter. Meant to test for radiation. If it makes those noises, there is dangerous levels of radiation nearby."

"You see those green clouds?" Jake explained nodding towards the storm that was now just a few kilometers away, "That's what doesn't allow the planet to heal. So much radiation is in the upper atmosphere that a storm simply absorbs it. When winds blow or rain pours, the radiation comes back down to the surface. Its a vicious cycle actually. It goes up, just to come back down."

"Drop one of the pills into the water." Jake said. As the pill was dropped in, the clicking on the Geiger counter reduced significantly to the point of just a few clicks per minute. "See? Now its safe to drink." Jake poured more water in yet the Geiger counter only went off with relation to the water coming out of the spout. Once it was in the bucket, the clicks ceased. "Pills will work for some time."

It was here that the pair headed back inside. Jake closed the front door, set the bucket on the table, then took a seat back at the table. Gently he rubbed his sore knees, "Would you mind grabbing a couple of of the clay cups and plates? I know where they keep the food so we'll be able to have something in out bellies tonight. Since you made our breakfast, its only gentlemanly of me to make you dinner."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Standing near the kitchen window, Valae turned to see Jake walk through the doorway. She listened as Jake explained what he gathered of the situation. As he mentioned the Tithes, her gaze wandered towards the graves outside. It seemed they would never know what happened to them, but there was still hope for Jake’s friends. Her eyes were drawn towards the hole in the wall, and then back to Jake as he stepped away from the window. Valae drew a breath and glanced around the kitchen, it would be odd to stay in the Tithe family home, but she was grateful for the shelter from the storm.

She moved towards the table as Jake placed white and grey pills down on the worn surface. Her chestnut eyes studied each pill, and she plucked up the pill that Jake had moved towards her. “Remarkable,” She whispered. As both bags of pills were handed over for safe keeping, she stashed them safely into her pocket. “Right!” Valae nodded, and followed Jake out the door.

Watching wide-eyed, she stood next to Jake and glanced down at the Geiger counter held in his hand. She was thankful for his knowledge, and did her best to absorb every word. And she dropped one of the white pills into the bucket of water when prompted. Listening closely, the small clicking sound emanating from the Geiger counter slowed and then ceased completely. “My goodness, I’d like to bring some of these back to Voss… assuming that we--”

Her voice trailed off. Valae sincerely hoped they did make it through this, and with pills to spare. Pressing her lips together, she followed Jake back into the house. The green clouds were rolling in. Once the front door was shut behind them, Valae had a seat at the table next to Jake. Her eyes lingered on his knees, watching as he rubbed them. Perhaps tonight would be a good time to provide him with another dose of force healing. However, these thoughts were forced to the back of her mind at the mention of dinner.

“Well, I’ve got to say…” She stood up from the table and made her way over to the cabinets. “I’d like that very much.” Valae couldn’t help but grin. Taking a peek into a few of the cabinets, she located the dishes and utensils. Gently, she pulled out a couple of plates and cups – noting the rustic handmade nature of the pottery. Despite the rather heavy situation that loomed, on a level… this was very nice.

“I can’t even remember the last time someone cooked for me,” She blurted out, and then blinked a couple of times. As she started to set the table, her eyes flickered back to Jake. “I’ve been taking my meals alone lately…” She admitted a bit sheepishly. “My duties as Grandmaster have been keeping me locked up in my office. This…” she gestured to the table set for two, “this is a very welcome change of pace.”

With renewed brightness in her eyes, she smiled at Jake. “So, what are you going to make me?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

As Valae went over to the cabinets to begin setting up the table, Jake slowly rose and headed over to a large chest that was pushed against the back wall. It wasn’t what was in the chest that Jake was turning his attention towards, more specifically he needed what was under it. With a huff the Knight shoved the chest several inches. He stopped, took a breath and let the soreness of his knees subside before pushing again. When the chest was far enough out of the way, Jake began lifting floor panels. Immediate beneath them were large wooden barrels.

“Venison.” Jake said replying to Valae’s inquiry on what he planned to make. Pulling the lid off of the first barrel, the Knight was enveloped with the smell of salt. The barrel was filled with it. Reaching in Jake grabbed the first slab, pulled it out and set it aside before grabbing a second. He secured the lid back on the barrel before looking at the second.

“Food can be as much of a scarcity as clean water. Most communities hide their food. I had seen the Tithe’s putting away food from time to time which is why I knew where it was.” Jake explained as he decided to skip the second barrel and go to the third. Lifting its top revealed dozens of small glass jars. Each was filled with a different preserved vegetable. Two were snagged.

Before long the floor planks were placed back as they were and Jake struggled to move the chest back to its original spot. Once he had finished, the Knight let his rump sit on the floor for the quickest of moments, “I know… not too good on my body but what sort of man would I be if I didn’t show off my muscles?” Jake attempted to flex his body, tightening his muscles as he did so though he let out a yelp, a curse, and then a deep laugh when he knees screamed at his antics. “Ok… ok… perhaps I should have asked for some help.”

Grabbing both jars, Jake held the first up and then the second, “Looks like some sort of starch in this one. If I were too guess, its probably a type of potato. The other I know to be a native species of carrot. I’ve had it before. Decent.” Jake grabbed a bowl and put a bit of the water in it. Setting both pieces of meat inside, he turned his attention to the fireplace. Taking a small stick grill, the Knight wedged it in between grooves so that the flames barely touched the bottom of the metal.

“To preserve the meats here,” Jake said as he turned the Venison over a few times in the water, “They have it sit in salt. Essentially helps it last. Not as effective as an icebox but does the trick. All you need to do is rinse it with water to get most of the salt off and viola’.” Jake held up the two pieces as the once white coated slabs were reddish-brown, “Ready to be cooked.”

As he set both pieces down, Jake turned his attention back to Valae as she finished setting up, “I do find it hard to believe that no one has cooked for you recently. Regardless as to whether or not you’re stuck in your office, I’m certain there is some suitor whom would have jumped at the opportunity to impress you with his culinary skills.” The moment the first sound of sizzling hit Jake turned his attention back to the fireplace. He adjusted the meat to ensure an even cooking.

“I will admit that is nice talking to you.” Jake said returning his attention to Valae. “I feel comfortable around you and I often don’t around most people. It doesn’t feel like you are judging me, nor looking down upon me given what I was.” It was true; every word. Most of the time Jake was a right arse to strangers. He didn’t just trust anyone. Valae? The pull of the force? Something inside was saying he could open up to her. “I don’t dare try to comprehend the vastness of your responsibility as a Grandmaster but I can tell your Order is very luck to have you, Miss Valae. It often difficult to find someone with so reasonable in the galaxy.”

“It’s going to be well done. The salt sort of dries it out and I just want to ensure that it’s completely cooked before eating. Better safe than sorry.” He flipped the meat several more times, ensuring it was thoroughly cooked. With the meat near done, Jake grabbed both jars and set them close too but not actually into the fireplace. When Jake was happy, he threw a bit of water on the meat, filling the air with the smell of the charred flesh but more importantly he moisturized it. “Nothing worse than sticking hard thick meat in your mouth that’s dry.”

With Valae already seated, Jake prepared their plates. First the meat was set down. Next the Knight grabbed a couple of tiny clay jars. He put a few dried herbs and spices atop of the meat and allowed them to simmer on the still scalding venison. He then fetched both glass jars, now hot, and popped their lids. He put a bit of each on both plates and finally found his own seat.

Just as Jake was about to cut into his food, he looked up at Valae and with the quietest of glances he simply watched her. As the skies darkened outside and the whirling of a wind began to pick up, all Jake could honestly focus on was Valae.

“Thank you.” Jake said in a near whisper. He didn’t want to think about it but odds were, after the fetched his friends, Valae would take off in her own ship. She would fly off to parts unknown. His friends would go off on another adventure. He? He’d be left alone and that scared him. He felt surprisingly safe with Valae. Was it the force? Was it something else between them? Jake didn’t know. He just knew he liked that feeling and knowing it would end was dreadfully painful. “For being here with me today.”

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae watched with interest as Jake produced venison and two jars of preserves from the hidden cellar. And as he attempted to push the heavy chest back into place, she had opened her mouth to protest. Chuckling softly at his comments, she shook her head slightly. Though it was probably not the best for his joints, Jake’s manly display did make Valae grin just a bit wider.

She blinked hard at his comment about suitors, and she looked down at her lap for a moment. “Suitors?” Valae shrugged, “I don’t know about that.” There was a slightly self-deprecating chuckle that followed. In all honesty, she couldn’t even remember the last time she’d been out on a date – a detail she would keep quiet for now. After all, she certainly did not want to paint herself as some kind of spinster woman.

The sound of sizzling made her gaze shift towards the fireplace, and she watched as Jake tended to the food. She had to admit that it was a nice sight, maybe she could get used to having someone cook for her. As Jake turned back to continue their conversation, she was pleasantly surprised by his words. A hand settled over her heart, she was truly touched.

“I like talking to you, too.” She replied with a nod. “I have to say, it’s nice to have a bit of a break from it all…” Valae didn’t take her duties lightly, and often times the pressure threatened to overwhelm her.

A few moments later, there was a rather impressive plate of food set before her. Valae took the time to just take in the pleasant aroma of her meal, and close her eyes. Lifting her fork, she took a bite of the mashed potatoes and then exhaled a satisfied sigh. The food was still hot, but that didn’t stop her from digging in, even at the risk of burning her mouth. So fixated on her plate, she didn’t even notice that Jake was watching. But his whispered words found her.

“I’m glad to be here with you.” She said softly, and then smiled. “And I must say, you’re quite the chef.” Valae cut into the venison and had a bite – it was surprisingly tender, and very well-seasoned. For the next few moments, she couldn’t muster any words save for the occasional “Mmm.”

Though she was inclined to clean her plate quickly, tonight she savored every bite. She appreciated that Jake had cooked such a meal for her. Her eyes roamed the room. The farmhouse, the warm fire, delicious food, and someone to share it with… these were all things that she wanted for herself someday. This was a small taste of domestic life. When her plate was empty, she sat back in her chair and blew out a breath.

“Alright, I think I’m ready for a nap now.” She said with a grin. However, the grin didn’t last for long. The sound of the howling wind battering the side of the house made her sit ridged. Turning her gaze to the window, she could see the storm beginning to rage outside.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

"Thank you for the compliment." Jake said. "If there is one thing I will ensure, its that people in my company never go hungry. Besides what good is a meal if you can't enjoy it." Food was such a simple pleasure that most took for granted. Jake? It was one of his few forms of expression that didn't involve some level of lightsaber training. It was peaceful. It was relaxing. The man needed it.

When Jake saw Valae take note of the storm, the Knight began to stack their dishes. It was quick. No leftovers from either of them meant that cleaning them off would be a breeze the next morning. Why morning? Because Jake couldn't go outside just yet to use the pump. Instead he simply left them on the table then went towards the bucket of water.

"Go lay on the sofa." He said as he filled two glasses with water. Setting them aside, he gently moved the bucket towards the fireplace. Tossing a log in, he waited for it to begin smoking before the Knight vanished into another part of the home. A minute passed, no more, and the Knight emerged with a small bottle and a rag. Grabbing the bucket by the handle, he set it beside the sofa. Lifting Valae's legs, Jake found his own seat. Her legs were then laid across his lap. Jake didn't ask permission with what he did next. Honestly he didn't care. He may have said thank you to Valae but he was going to show her his absolute gratitude with the second thing he like to do for expression.

His fingers untied her boots laces. They were set on the floor beside his feet. Next he gently rolled off her socks, folded them in half and set them atop the boots. Grabbing the rag, Jake dipped it in the hot water, squeezed to let out excess fluid and then began to gently glide it up her right foot. Toe to ankle, over each bone and crevice. Over every inch of soft skin he could see.

Minutes passed with absolute silence. The blue eyes of Jake focused on the feet of Valae. Every aspect of them, every wrinkle, each digit, the soles of her feet, the heel and of course between the toes were gently cleansed with the towel. Jake knew Valae was tired. Her feet must have been killing her. Even if this wasn't much of a showing of appreciation, it came from the heart. Once both feet had a first passing with the hot wet cloth, Jake performed a second cleaning. Again, no part of her foot was untouched.

Setting the rag in the bucket to sink within the water, the Knight grabbed the small bottle and opened it. A quick whiff below his nose revealed a rather pleasant smell; that of basic vanilla. He poured a bit of what appeared to be oil in one palm, set the bottle down, and then rubbed both of his hands together. With his palms warmed, the Knight began to slide them over Valaes left foot. His fingers rubbed back and forth. The oil was worked around, moisturizing the tired skin while his finers worked to relax the bones above. His thumbs though worked overtime.The dug into her sole, finding a tight knot of muscle and ever gently kneading it until the pressure point loosened. One that knot vanished, they dug back and and truly force the muscles to give into his fingers demands.

"When I was a child," Jake said as his fingers began to wiggle between her toes, "I wasn't ever sure of what I would be when I grew up. Sure the other kids in school wanted to be a Doctor, a Fireman, a Soldier, or something else. Me? I never knew. Nothing ever stuck out to me. Even in secondary school, when my parents tried to guide me one way or another, I just couldn't decide."

There was no mistaking the touch of his fingers. They dominated her feet. They were fierce and demanding. With such power within his digits that there was no mistaking the strength of Jakes hands. Yet he held back just enough to not cause pain. Once he was finished with her left foot, Jake moved to her right.

"Never thought I would one day be one of the strongest Knights around." There was no bragging in what he just said. Jake said it as matter of fact tone. He knew it was true, no need to dwell on it. "Never thought I could use the force either. In my family history, only two other people have ever been known to use the force. Jacob Daniels some generations before me and his wife Ciara Daniels. Both were Jedi Masters and well respected from what we know. When the generations went by without force sensitive descendants, the Daniels felt as though that was a one time fluke. Then I came along. Did a lot of damage to my family's name. It's been one hell of a ride though. That much I'll say."

His fingers began to gently work the digits of her right foot, only stopping to add a couple of drops of vanilla oil here and there. "Let's just hope that ride continues, or else I wouldn't be able to cook for you again." Jakes hands slid under Valaes right pant leg yet they did not rise any higher than her thigh. "Just as I suspected." Daniels said with a laugh. His hands found the knots in her calf muscle and slowly they began to work them out. "If I hurt you, let me know."

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Valae arched an eyebrow at Jake’s instruction. But she nodded once or twice as she rose and started off towards the living room. She paused in the doorway, watching as Jake moved the bucket of water towards the fireplace – but it offered few clues as to what he was planning. Perhaps it was preparing some tea? With a small shrug, she stepped into the family room. It was a space that was decorated with small trinkets, evidence that the Tithes had once enjoyed life here. And now, Valae sat all by her lonesome on the sofa.

As Jake appeared, she reclined and placed her legs up on the cushions. Next thing she knew, her legs were being lifted and draped across Jake’s lap. She couldn’t complain, it was rather comfortable. But as he began to unlace her boots and then remove her socks, she blinked a couple of times. “What are you…” She spoke in a quiet and curious voice. But his intentions became clear as he dipped the cloth into the hot water and began to carefully wash her feet. Well, she could say with a certainty that no one had ever done this for her before.

Watching silently, she focused on Jake as he stared intently at her feet. A flicker of a smile played at the corner of her lips. Indeed she’d never met anyone quite like him before. Slowly, her eyes closed. The warmth of the cloth felt wonderful, and brought her aching feet a bit of relief. Next, she felt his hands upon the sole of her foot – gently massaging oil into her skin. The air was scented pleasantly with vanilla, further deepening the relaxation. As his strong hands found a knot, she stiffened for a moment, but pushed out a slow breath as the tense spot was worked away.
She listened as Jake began to speak, and resisted the urge to giggle as his fingers moved between her toes. Valae had shared similar feelings when she was young.

“I thought I would probably end up working at the Cantina full time. Never thought I’d end up as Grandmaster…” She trailed off. “In my family, I’m the first that could use the force – as far as I know.”

As Jake quipped about being able to cook for her again, Valae propped herself up on her elbows. His hand slid beneath the fabric of her pant leg, his rough palm against her skin. A tiny gasp had escaped, but she soon relaxed once more. Though her legs were sore, she hadn’t realized just how taught and tight her muscles were. Chestnut eyes were upon Jake, she felt the same pull towards him that she’d sensed at the lagoon. It was an unexpected feeling of comfort and safety. Sitting up, she gently slid her legs off his lap. Without a word, she moved closer and leaned in just slightly.

“I feel drawn to you,” She whispered suddenly, “Do you feel it, too?”

Her eyes searched his, looking deep into his gaze to find the answer. And while she was normally quite bashful, she wondered if perhaps this once she should be bold. Falling silent again, she closed her eyes and let her lips brush against his. When Valae finally let her lips explore his, it was gentle – much different than the kiss they had shared the night before.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

For a brief moment Jake stiffened. Valae unexpectedly moved her legs from him. The only thoughts that man lingered on was whether or not he had hurt her. Perhaps he had made her uncomfortable when his hands going farther up her legs than they probably should have. When she sat up Valae said nothing as she moved closer to Jake. Then she leaned in ever slightly. The warmth of her body, felt through both sets of their clothing, was even more welcoming than that of the fire.

She expressed the feelings Jake had known since Felucia; the pull. The feeling of being drawn to the other. It wasn't just the force at work. It couldn't be. There was a religious sect on Dantooine that held old world views on many things. One of the aspects of their beliefs was that eyes were the windows to a persons soul. Through them all would be revealed; if they were good, if they were bad. Many in Jake's time had written such beliefs off as nonsense. Sitting here; Jake couldn't help but find truth in the belief. Nothing in her eyes gave the man alarm. He knew she'd be there for him. He could see if for himself within the Valae's beautiful eyes.

"I do." Jake whispered his reply.

Her finger tips slid along his neck. Each touch like a small spark igniting his flesh in a torrent of heat. His response pure and natural. The lids of his eyes were anvils. They were brought down like rocks in water; refusing to rise. Valae's lips fluttered above his own. He felt the warmth of her breath flow against his flesh, as the supple moistness of her lips played dangerously close to his own. Her nose slide of against that of his own, her cheek pressing his, all before she brought their lips once more to one another's. Still gratification was denied though intensity in want and desire grew.

While her finger tips continued to hold his cheeks, his own wrapped her petit frame. His hands slid under her shirt, pressing firmly against the small of her back. She was hot; as hot as he and it did nothing but bring forth the continued want and desire of a woman whom he felt a connection unlike any other towards. The man contained himself however. Valae, a woman of humbleness, was showing a different side of herself. While Jake had shown the beast that roamed within, the Grandmaster was revealing that she herself was a lioness. She was showing that she wasn't afraid to take charge, to command, to dictate... to dominate.

Valae Kitra was an alpha.

An explosion of heat radiated from both frames as their lips met. The gratification that Jake felt brought a pleasurable shudder to his frame. Unlike the night prior, this kiss was gentler yet just as passionate; filled with just as much want. They fluttered, toyed, and met the others. The sounds of the radiation storm outside, the distinct clicking of the geiger counter with each hit of thunder, and the sound of the crackling wood in a fireplace were washed away. Jake could only hear Valae's heartbeat. He could only feel her touch, her breath. This was a moment in a time he would cherish for an eternity. The quiet passion that both expressed towards the other. As their kiss continued, Jake brought Valae onto his lap so as to straddle the Knight. A grin escape him as he nibbled on her lower lip for a brief moment.

In a deep moan that expressed everything Jake felt and then some, only one thing slipped from his lips silkfully, "...Valae..."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_pQC_tV3kQ​
Valae’s eyes blinked open.

Squinting at the light beginning to stream in through the curtains, it took her a moment or two to gain her bearings. She quickly realized that she was on the floor next to Jake, both of their naked forms covered by a thick woolen blanket. Valae clutched the blanket close, and pulled it up to her chin. However, there was little reason to be bashful now. Jake had explored nearly every inch of her last night. Turning a glance over her shoulder, she watched Jake’s chest rise and fall in peaceful sleep. There was clothing and undergarments strewn on the floor all around them, and the sight of the discarded clothes brought back memories of last night. It was enough to make her blush hard.

Never before had she experienced anything like their passion-steeped night. She remembered the way he had uttered her name, the way his hands had roamed, and the way his skin felt against her own. While there had certainly been a physical attraction and a ravenous desire for each other… it had been much more than that. There had been a very intimate feeling of closeness. Valae found now that the lonely sense of longing that she had carried for so long had diminished greatly. And the sense of satisfaction still lingered this morning.

Rolling onto her back, she stretched her limbs for a moment and drew in a deep breath. The fire had died out in the hearth and the Geiger counter had ceased clicking. It seemed that the storm had passed. Glancing to the side, she smiled as she watched Jake. Valae bit her bottom lip softly; he was certainly a man of passion. Moving closer, she placed a gentle kiss upon his shoulder. Lowering herself down at his side, let her head rest on his chest, where she listened to the steady sound of his heartbeat. And as his arm wound around her and pulled her close, she cuddled against him. Here in his embrace, she felt warmth and safety.

And though the morning light had made the lioness within fade slightly, she still remained.

A playful grin found Valae’s lips as she pounced Jake. Crawling on top of him, she looked down at him with a swell of affection. It would be time to leave soon, but she supposed that they could have a few more minutes to enjoy this time together. Gently nuzzling against him, she couldn’t help but smile.

“Good morning,” She spoke in a whisper, her lips against the skin of his neck.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

A smile beamed like a sun’s rays from the face of Jake as he felt soft lips press against his neck. A low rumble was heard in his chest as he expressed his enjoyment at the affection and attention that Valae gave to him. It was a night that could not have been foreseen. A night that had not been planned nor plotted for. It was a night he would never regret. An affectionate purity was expressed between man and woman, Jake and Valae, as their bodies had become one. Their souls molding together like hot metal in a blacksmiths hands.

Jake had expressed himself physically in a way he hadn’t in a very long time. While the galaxy was filled with countless men whom would try and put smooth moves on anyone and perhaps anything; Jake was one of a rare breed. He didn’t have that mindset. For him to give himself as he had to Valae, for as long as he had, for as many times as he had the prior night, truly meant that he had feelings for her. Unwavering emotions that spoke of a loyalty and protectiveness of the woman atop him that even as his hands slid along her back, only got stronger with each passing moment.

Valae had done for him and with him anything he desired; anything he craved. He commanded her. He ordered her. He took charge of the lioness as she did him. The feelings and expressions they shared filled his heart with a joy it had long sought. It filled his heart with affection he had long missed. His finger tips played her hair as she continued to kiss about his frame. Each plant of her lips sending dangerously explosive shock waves through his body.

Valae had spoken a sultry good morning. Jake knew how he’d return the greeting. His hands slid up Valaes body, finding her neck and guiding her lips to his own. It was only early morning after all. What would a few more minutes together before starting the day actually hurt?

~ ~ ~
“Here you go, Mon Cheri.” Jake whispered as he quietly handed Valae a small cup of home brewed coffee.

Simply a few more minutes had turned into another hour and by now the sun was fully illuminating the land outside. Both had to pull themselves for a moment from the other; lest they spend the remainder of the day wrapped in the blanket. As they had dressed Jake took time to admire Valae and yes, with each glance, he flushed. After he was finished putting on his boots, Jake snagged Valae’s shirt and held it above his head. When she came in to grab it, Jake gave her a gentle peck on the nose before handing it over.

It was here that he heard the mule.

Though nothing about him physically changed in an immediate sense, there was a tingling sensation on the back of his neck. The momentary noise from the mule was a honk. Jake had heard it before with the Tithes. The animals had only ever made that particular noise when someone was near their pen and they were hungry. They were calling out for food.

“I’ll be right back.” Jake said as he took a sip from her cup and handed back over. “Just going to check on what has the mules all worked up.”

Fastening his belt, Jake gave a wink back at Valae before disappearing outside. Almost immediately his demeanor changed. The dark passenger within swirled with activity as it became evident that Jake was more than willing to let him come out and play. Why? Because Jake now had something that was worth fighting for… because Jake now had someone he was willing to die for. Any potential threat to Valae would be taken as an actual one; whatever… or whomever… it may be.

Several long minutes had passed before a new noise unlike any other broke the eerie silence that had filled the farm. Alarmingly a loud pop was heard just outside the very door Jake had just left from. A second immediately followed. Both echoed through the wooden home. Then just as surprisingly as the noises has been heard, a body stumbled through the door. One hand grabbed at his leg. The other over his shoulder. Blood poured from him, staining the floor he fell on.

The man wasn’t Jake however.

He cried out and cursed at the Knight whose frame suddenly filled the door way. His hands were holding a different sort of gun. It was easy to see it wasn't a blaster but that's all that could be deciphered of the primitive looking device. A bright yellow flared in his pupils with shards of orange seeping in. The dark passenger had been let out and the anger was growing in Jake.

“We’ll kill you!” The man spat as Jake grabbed him by the shoulder and yanked him into a chair.

“Shut it.” Jake growled before turning towards Valae, “He’s what had the mules all stirred up. Spotted him rounding the side of the home. Unfortunately for him I got the jump.”

“Lucky, basta….” The man hissed before falling silent.

The barrel of his weapon was pointed dead center of his forehead, “Shut it. Final warning.”

Daniels kept the weapon pointed at the man, only leaning in to snag the other that was hidden beneath his pant leg and tucked onto his boot. The silver revolver was handed to Valae. Jake knew he probably had to explain things and quick, “This man here is an Outlaw. They’re a band of scavengers and slavers that torment the people of this planet. Some are known to even be cannibals. The last time I was here I had a running in with them when they had harassed the Tithes. What’s your name?”

“Styx and is that what you call what happened? A run in?”

Jake perked a brow.

"You have to be that stranger seen with the Tithe's. The Outlaws have been waiting for you. Knew you'd show back up some day. Didn't know," Styx looked towards Valae, "you'd bring someone so delicious looking with you this time."

Jake pushed the barrel of the rifle into the temple of Styx, “Don't dare look at her." The sudden deepness of his throat, the viciousness of his words. Sure Valae had seen some aspects of Jake on Felucia that showed the darkness in him but this was something completely different. This was an Alpha protecting his mate. Pure and simple.

“And here I told the Boss we should have just sold the Aliens and be done with the Tithes." Styx snorted.

"What?" Jake asked.

"What?" Styx said perplexed. "We snagged us a trio some time ago. A black dude," Styx laughed, "Don't see many of them these days. Some chick with tentacles coming out of her head and some tall dude with even weirder looking tentacles."

Jake looked to Valae, "Cody, Rania, and Umako." The Knight then noticed just how much blood Styx was losing. Quietly he approached Valae and ever gently pushed his forehead against her own. The Knight took in the woman's presence, allowing her calming presence to sooth his dark passenger. When his eyes reopened, the yellow orange had disappeared. His peaceful blues returning. He could only hope she didn't hate him for what he just did. "Can you heal his shoulder? I hit an artery from the looks of it. He'll be dead in just a few more minutes if we don't close the wound. Leave the leg for now."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae beamed an appreciative smile at Jake as he handed her a small mug of coffee. The warmth of the cup felt wonderful in her hands. She brought the mug up and took in the pleasant scent of the coffee before taking a sip. “Ahh,” she let out a content sigh. It had been a difficult task to leave the rather cozy situation they had under the woolen blanket, but it was time to start the day. Valae turned her attention back to gathering her clothing. She still remembered how each and every garment had been tossed aside the night before, and these thoughts would make her blush for days to come.

Undergarments – check. Pants were scooped up off the floor next. Boots and socks were still located next to the sofa. “Shirt,” She muttered aloud, turning her eyes around the room. The sight of Jake dressing had caught her eyes more than once, and she had attempted to keep her actions covert. But in reality, she stared quite hard. Valae bit her lower lip, she liked what she saw. And when she spotted him with her shirt in hand, she laughed and swatted at the air as she tried to snatch it back.

With the last bit of her outfit in her grasp now, she blinked as the mule outside sounded.

“Alright,” She smiled as he had a sip of the coffee, “Don’t be long!” Valae grinned.

Watching him walk out the door, she gently rubbed the back of her neck. Her skin still seemed to remember his touch, already there was longing. Valae pulled her shirt over her head and then had a quick look in the mirror that was mounted on the wall. Her wavy brown locks were tousled, it likely would have been fashionable to go out this way… but she gathered her hair into a ponytail. Valae could see that she still looked a bit tired, it was expected after the long and passionate night she’d had. But somehow, she also looked refreshed. Perhaps it had been because it’d been a very long time since she’d shared her body with another.

Very distracted by her thoughts, she hadn’t even noticed the change within the force. She heard the loud cracking sound, and her gaze immediately shot towards the door. “Jake?” She called, a wave of concern washed over her. However, as she tuned back in to her connection with the force, she felt Jake’s presence clear as day. But it was darker now… A moment later, there was shouting in the kitchen as Jake tossed the man into a chair. Valae skidded around the corner, shocked to see the blood now spilling onto the floor. She swallowed hard as a silver revolver was handed over, and listened as Jake explained.

And though it was quite clear that this outlaw had come here with violence on his mind, Valae didn’t wish to see Jake harm another. The darkness radiated from him, she could feel it. But as Jake stepped close, his forehead placed against her own, her worries began to fade as his normal nature returned.

“Okay,” She nodded, “I’ll handle it.”

Moving over to the injured man’s side, she peeled back the fabric of his shirt. Valae did her best to ignore the grisly sight of his open wound, and held her hand over the top. The man’s eyes did shift in her direction, but he was growing weak now. Valae centered herself and quickly focused on the task before her, the force began to flow. Slowly at first, the wound began to heal. The muscle and tissue began to knit back together, and then the skin would follow. Before long, it was as though there had been no injury there at all. However, without an infusion of new blood, the man would still be in a sorry state. Once her work was complete, she stepped back over to Jake’s side and gave him a nod.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Styx was stunned silent. How had this woman closed his wound without using anything but her hands? What the hell was she? The feeble, intellectually stunted mind of the Outlaw simply couldn't comprehend what he had just seen. Styx couldn't comprehend what he had just felt.

"You're a Witch!"

Jake rolled his eyes at Styx before returning his attention to Valae, "Thank you, Mon Cheri." The look of his gaze was the gentlest he could give. It was different than any other look he gave any other person. So when his attention turned back to Styx his demeanor stiffened.

"She's no Witch. As far as you're concerned, she is the only reason you're still alive. She can heal that," Jake tapped the mans injured leg with the barrel of the gun. "But only if you tell me what I want to know."

"Which is?"

"Where is the trio you took."

"At the campground south of here, you know, that run in of yours with us. Boss thought it best to make an example of the people there. After you left we tore through that place. Sold off the women and children. Killed the men. Boss was trying to find you. That's why your friends are still there." Styx explained. He broke out in a laugh, "Boss gonna break you in half little man."

Deep breaths and a focus on Valae. That's what kept the dark passenger at bay.

"So about the leg?" Styx asked.

"Not done yet." Jake replied bluntly. He pinched the bridge of his nose and thought for a moment. "How many of you are there?"

Styx said nothing.

"Look, I could torture and make you talk. I could very easily leave you for dead." Jake was walking that ever fine line, "But I don't plan to do that. You're a dead man if we dont close that leg wound. She can do that, she will do that, but I'll only let her if you give me what I need to know."

Styx relented, "Fine. There's twelve of us. There were thirty but Boss sent out scouting parties for you. They aren't due to return for a few more days."

Jake motioned for Valae to work on his leg. While she did that Jake took the mans belt and pulled Styxs arms back behind the chair. Here he bound them.

"They're bound just tight enough that you can't escape today. Should be some time tomorrow before you're muscles won't be so sore that you'll wiggle free. Keep one thing in mind though; if I see you again..." Jakes voice became a low growl, "She won't be saving you."

Jake wasn't perfect. He still had a lot of work ahead of him to tame the dark passenger inside but when it came to Valae and any perceived threat; the man would unleash hell on anyone and everyone.

With Styx tied up, Jake took just one item from the Tithe Home. The very blanket he and Valae shared the night prior. Folding it neatly then tucking it under his arm, Jake approached Valae.

"Can you notify Skillet to have your ship ready for take off." Jake explained. The pair left the home and Jake guided Valae to the small Mule pen, "My hope is a quick smash and grab. We take the Outlaws by surprise. Skillet shows with the Tumbleweed and we jet out of there. We'll be at the campground in just a few hours."

As Valae did that Jake snagged two remaining mules and guided them to the last waggon. Once they were secure, Jake helped Valae aboard. Taking the reigns Jake gave a quick snap and slowly the animals pulled forth.

"I'm sorry." Jake finally spoke after some distance of travel. "How do you do it? How do you keep such a calm composure when something pushes you to the breaking point?" That was one thing Jake was already envious about when it came to Valae. She had such a level head on her shoulders and here Jake was beating using a mans own gun against him simply because he perceived him a threat to Valae.

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Valae ignored the comments from Styx. But she did catch sight of the gentle gaze that Jake gave to her. Despite the rough demeanor he displayed to the outlaw, there was still tenderness that was reserved just for her. Standing to the side, she listened to the exchange between the two men. And while it seemed that Styx was hesitant to provide them with information, he cared for his own well-being enough to give in. As Jake motioned for her to heal his leg, she knelt down on the kitchen floor.

This wound was not as serious as the first, but the man had already lost a good amount of blood. Placing a palm over the injured leg, she began to focus and draw from the force. The healing energy worked its magic, and Valae took deep breaths to maintain concentration. She was mildly aware that Jake was speaking to Styx in the background, but the words escaped her for the moment. Her patient did not protest; he seemed to know that he was in dire straits now.

Leaving the outlaw bound to the chair, Valae paused in the doorway and looked back at him. With his wounds now healed, he stood a good chance of surviving. Of course, she knew that this man would not have hesitated to kill them, but there was still conflict in her heart. It was difficult for her to face this reality. Deep down, she knew that she would have healed his wounds, even if Jake had protested. It was just her way as a healer. Finally moving from the doorway, she followed Jake towards the mule pen.

“Right,” She nodded in response to his instructions. “I’ll let Skillet know right now.”

Pulling a small communication device from her bag, she sent a binary message back to the Tumbleweed. She did hope the little droid was getting on well aboard her ship. Valae left the device active, that way the astromech would be able to pinpoint their location and come to the rescue.

After accepting Jake’s help to get aboard the wagon, she had a seat next to him and watched as he directed the animals to move. She couldn’t recall ever traveling this way, but there was a certain charm. The wagon swayed gently and creaked as it rolled them along. Valae scooted closer to Jake and lingered close to his side. As he offered her an apology, she placed a gentle hand on his knee.

“How do I do it?” Her brows arched. “A lot of practice, meditation does wonders.”

It hadn’t always been this way though.

“And the more time you spend with me, you’ll see that I’m not always like this. I get frazzled just like anyone else.” She nodded. “But if I can center myself, it helps keep me calm.” Valae offered Jake an encouraging smile. “You can do it, too. I’ll help you.” Her arm gently looped around Jake’s.

“… That man,” She started quietly, referring to Styx. “You showed him a bit of mercy and let him live. You didn’t really want to kill him, did you?” Valae was curious, especially knowing that Jake had darkness within.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom