Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Neglected Conscience

Jake watched, he listened, and he analyzed.

Every word and every motion that Valae made was scrutinized by the Knight. As she explained the coloring to look for, Jakes eyes went from Valae’s to that of the plants before him. When she leaned in and picked a bulb, Jake watched how her fingers grasped the plant to pull it free from its stem. Any micromovement her fingers made, any fidget in her lips, change in her gaze, Jake noted it. This was what made Jake so different from other Sith. This was why he was as much of threat to them as he had been to Jedi.

“My Master,” Jake picked his first bulb as he had been shown. With delicate care he lifted it free and placed it in the basket behind him, “bestowed the title of Darth upon me. Youngest within the Sith Empire of the time to ever receive the honor, well to that point anyway.” He eyed a second bulb, carefully scanning its coloring. Noting some green still remaining at his base, he moved onto another. “The fact is, the Sith hated me. My Master had crafted me carefully; ensuring that my loyalty was to her and her alone. Whatever she willed, I did; even if that was a strike against another Sith.”

“As the years passed I became the Guardian of her family, even marrying into it. I went from Apprentice to an Heir. I knew love, true love, for the first time.” Jake paused as he remembered vividly the gentle face of [member="Cerusia Shamalain"]. Fingers momentarily touched his upper chest, beneath his throat. The rubbed an unseen object, a wedding band, which was locked by a thin chain around his neck. “Love, pure love mind you, isn’t a trait Sith feel. The dark side pollutes and corrupts anything it touches.”

Setting another bulb in the basket, Jake took a moment to look over to Valae, “My Master was a smart woman. Second in intellect only to my wife at the time. She understood what I did. Sith Apprentices would always rise up and attack their Master. Why? For power. The darkside compelled them to do such like the urge to procreate drives a lion to kill a rivals cubs.” Jake went back to fiddling around with some of the plants, “She worked to help me harness the darkside without being consumed by it. I was able to utilize the force in ways I never could have otherwise and she had an Apprentice that would never rise up against her.”

Recent yet unspoken memories of Honoghr and [member="Mahet"] floated across the forefront of his mind. Those were secrets best kept to himself. His life was changing. He was changing. “Again, she allowed me to have a family. She allowed me to have children. Then…” Jakes voice trembled. Not a waver of fear or apprehension. It was a tremble of anger; pure and unmistakable. “I lost them.” He left it at that.

A sigh escaped his lips, “I still feel it.” He glanced again at Valae before turning his gaze to another bulb in his hand, “like this plant feels the suns rays flow through it. The darkness. The light. In constant conflict for supremacy. I know I’m tainted. I know I’m dangerous but it’s not a life I feel I want anymore. That’s why I was allowing the force to guide me. It has just left me with a new question. Did the force guide me to the Silver Jedi…” then he glanced at Valae, “or to you… or to both? That's something I need to figure out.”

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae knelt, knees in the soil, and began to harvest the ripe bulbs nearest to her. She had started stacking them in a small pile when Jake spoke, and his words captured her attention completely. Still seated in the dirt, her hands fell into her lap as she listened. It seemed that his Sith master had been quite powerful, and that Jake himself had been a promising apprentice. And then, he revealed that he had once had a wife and family.

True love.

It was something that Valae had never experienced for herself. She couldn’t truly understand the deep sense of loss that Jake carried. Valae turned her gaze to the side for a moment, trying to hide the fact that she was attempting to blink back tears. His words were touching. Inside, she could almost feel his pain as if it were her own – a fleeting sensation that faded a moment later.

Pushing out a slow breath, she gathered up the Nysillin bulbs and stood to her feet. For a moment she was silent, moving to the basket and gently setting the precious plants inside. But she turned towards Jake.

“Maybe it’s both,” She replied, chestnut eyes matching his gaze now.

She brushed her hands off on the front of her trousers. It seemed the right time to reveal her own history. The sun was beginning its daily descent, the sky streaked with red and orange hues. Valae let the warmth fall against her skin, and she took all of it in. Her boots began to pace the row of plants.

“I told you before that I grew up on Tatooine,” She started, smiling fondly at the thought of her home. “My father and I owned a simple scrap yard there. He was a notorious drunk, and the bottle finally did him in. The former Grandmaster of the Silver Jedi found me that night; he was the only other witness to my father’s burial rites.”

She could still remember the way [member="Thurion Heavenshield"] looked that night so long ago.

“It seemed that the force worked to bring us together, for he took me away to Voss and then made me his apprentice.” A smile pulled at the corner of her lips again, “It was a difficult transition for me, I didn’t begin training as a Jedi until my early twenties, much later than most. I realized during my time with the Silver Jedi that I'm not a fighter, but there's plenty of room to make a difference as a healer.”

As she paced back towards Jake, she looked up at him.

“And… the office of Grandmaster is a position that I hold now.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Then it happened again. In a quick, fluid motion his lips curled upwards. A small sound escaped the recesses of his lungs as he truly comprehended what this woman had just said. The man gave a pure smile as he shook his head in semi-disbelief. It was a smile few had ever been witness too. Some people claimed to not believe in coincidence. Some did. Jake wasn't sure either way. He was of a new belief system; that of the force in and of itself. He was allowing it to guide him. Guide him it did.

Right into the graces of not just any Jedi, but a Grandmaster.

The last Grandmaster Jake ever encountered was a man named after a bird. That encounter, his first mission, had resulted in the then Sith Apprentice outsmarting the elder Jedi and killing his Apprentice Ema Lilly. That wasn't a memory that allowed the smile to remain. As expected, a ping of guilt hit Jake. It hit him hard. It was evident as his signature on the force suddenly vibrated, showing the inner conflict within. The smile subsided though did not fully disappear. It was simply dulled in comparison to its earlier brightness. No need to bore this woman with the sins of his past.

"From simple scrap yard, to the rank of Grandmaster? You have led quite a life, Miss Valae," his smile brightened ever so slightly, "or should I call you Master Valae?"

It was a playful question. Jake had no intention of calling her Master. He would be as formal as had always been and continue with the Miss, regardless to whether she had objections or not. The Knight placed one last bulb into the nearly full basket. It appeared the plant picking was done, though their conversation was far from so.
"Let's say the force brought us together." Jake said, "Let's say it's guided you here to meet me on this specific day, to have this specific conversation. Let's say it's guided me here to meet you and to become exposed to the Silver Jedi."

The Knight bit his lower lip as he glanced about. The fauna, the stars now twinkling in the darkening skies, the Natives that seemed to be wrapping up their own tasks for the day, it was all so peaceful. Peaceful wasn't something Jake had been known for. The dark passenger that remained capped inside the depths of his soul ensured he didn't forget it.

"I wasn't a good person, Miss Valae." Jake said as he broke a suddenly heavy silence that had filled the small space between them. "I will go to my grave forever claiming I was not the more bloodthirsty weilder of the dark side but I was no choir boy. I hurt a lot of people." A sigh escaped his lips as he shook his head in sudden frustration, "I'm sorry. I know what I want to say but I'm having trouble expressing it without sounding like a mary-sue bad guy in a b-rated horror film."

Jake looked to the star filled heavens above and finally opened himself to the force. The same way he had when this journey began. Eyes closed. Breath held. Thoughts cleared. Jake allowed the force to guide him and guide him it did. He felt the pull; stronger than it had been that day. Slowly opening his eyes, Jake looked to Valae and recognized it. It wasn't a fluke. There was no mistaking it. It was her. He just got the confirmation he was looking for. The force had brought them together. The question still remained as to why?

Was she to be his salvation? Could his soul be saved? Valae had made mention she'd never encountered a fully redeemed dark wielder before. Could Jake be the first?

"Miss Valae," Jake began. The words were there. All he needed to do was ask it. His mind screamed at him, pleaded with him mouth to let the question come out. He could feel his throat knot up. Everything in him demanded that he ask if she would be willing to walk this path of redemption with him, to help him, yet... he did not. Fear took over; the fear of being rejected by such a prestigious Jedi. "Would you mind showing me what you do with these plants after plucking them?"

The slew of curses that Jake internally spat at himself for his cowardice were brutal. The disappointment he felt inside revealed itself upon his face as he broke his gaze and looked away in sudden shame. Fear still gripped the man that had once brought it to others.

Jake had a long way to go for salvation.​
[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Valae watched as Jake stood smiling, and she found a bright smile spreading across her face as well. But beneath this lightness, there was still struggle. The vibrations in the force shifted slightly, signaling struggle. Of course, she knew that Jake was the source, but she didn’t have the emotional insight to know the cause. Her smile remained as he spoke.

“No, no…” She chuckled, “Just call me Valae.”

Their basket was full to the brim now. Turning her attention back to Jake, she listened to his reasoning. Indeed their meeting did seem to be much more than a simple coincidence. But it must have been the pull of the force – there was a plan for everyone, they just needed to find it. Her hands gripped the basket, and she had been about to start pulling… but Jake’s words made her pause. Straightening up again, she canted her head to the side.

Truly, as he stood before her now… she couldn’t say that he seemed like a bad person.

“Thank you for being honest,” She said, nodding. “But I won’t judge you based on your past. It’s clear to me that you’ve changed since then.”

Valae offered him an encouraging smile. And as he asked about the next step for the Nysillin, she nodded. Resuming her grip on the basket, she attempted to tug – making it scoot an inch or two along the ground. It was much heavier than it looked. Reaching up, she ruffled her wavy hair with her hand, a bit embarrassed. She motioned for Jake to take the other side of the basket; they would get it back to the village together.

Once they arrived, there was still quite a lot of activity in the village. However, most were finishing their work for the day and making preparations for their last meal of the day. She could smell their flat bread roasting in a stone oven; it made her stomach growl something awful. Valae cleared her throat, hoping that Jake hadn’t heard… But she figured that he must be hungry, too. After setting the basket down, she brought him to a workstation. There was a large tub of plants that was currently being mashed to a pulp by two hard-at-work Felucians.

“See, they’re making some healing salve. They will add some natural preservatives, and a herb mix to this batch – I’ve yet to get the recipe.” She grinned, “It’s great for sunburns, bug bites, rashes, minor wounds… you name it!”

Valae made a note to get Jake a small container before they left here. Nearby, the Felucians were beginning to gather around a small fire. They were bringing out fresh fruit, bread, and a bubbling stew. Chestnut eyes followed the trays of food as they passed by, and then looked to Jake.

“Hungry?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

"Surprisingly, yes." Jake said to her inquiry. Until Valae had mentioned it, Daniels hadn't the urge to eat. The man thrived on coffee in all honesty. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, even a midnight snack. It was coffee. Black, cream and sugar, cream no sugar, sugar no cream, day old or week old; that's what he thrived on. Actual food was often foreign. So much so that he had perhaps one meal a day. Though the one constant was that it was nearly never a healthy meal.

The Knight had heard the rumble coming from the small frame of Valae, yet had said nothing. It was funny, if not cute. As they a spot to sit and the trays were passed about; Jake took a moment to survey what he was seeing. There was a peace here. A type of solidarity among the Felucians that spoke to family. A loving community that wasn't corrupted by darkness, deceit, or pain. As food was being passed about, Jake took a moment to analyze the Grandmaster whom sat beside her.

The look wasn't long. It didn't linger. There was no darkening around her eyes. Nor was there a twisting in the corner of her lips. Her skin, now that Jake was closer, showed no deformities. From what Jake could tell both of her physically and from what he continued to feel on the force; she wasn't tainted. Jake took the first tray, placing some bread before the both of them.

"I've never used a homemade healing cream. Only things I've ever used to heal anything was bacta and the force." Jake explained as he then placed some fruit down for the both of them. Quietly he passed the tray down before continuing, "I wonder how much time we would have saved in my day had we learned how to make our own treatments instead of having to wait for treatments."

The Sith Knight. The old 62nd Marine Light Infantry. How many times had the Noghri, his Wife, and his Master treated everything from broken bones, concussions, and every other injury that one could have? He placed some of the stew before Valae, though he passed on it himself.

"Not much of a stew guy." He said as he passed it along. "You know," Jake stopped as something came back to him, "the uncharted planet I spent some time on had their own remedies for healing too. Not as clean or sanitary as what you and the Felucians do but it was effective. Enough to stave off infection in a pinch. I think you'd find it interesting."

"Thank you, Miss Valae." Jake said. Yeah he wasn't going to change his formality. Valae was going to learn that teaching this old dog new tricks was going to be a bit harder than anticipated. "For today I mean. I have really enjoyed myself. First time in a long time."

Another smirk escaped his lips, a bite of his bread, the man asked, "So what are you going to do after this?"

[member="Valae Kitra"]

Valae was never one to miss out on a meal, and she grinned as they made their way over to the fire. Perched on a log, she watched as the trays were working their way over. There was fresh fruit, mostly some of the native melons that had been neatly sliced. The scent of baked bread in the air was enough to make her salivate. Finally the trays reached Jake, and she was pleasantly surprised when he served both of them. Well now, that was thoughtful. Her eyes fixed him in a fond gaze, watching as he placed a bowl of stew down before her, even though he was passing on it himself.

“Mmm, well…” She started, swallowing down a bite of the stew. “You’re missing out. It’s delicious. And I’m always interested in learning about healing remedies; maybe you’ll have to show me this uncharted planet.”

The thought of seeing Jake again after this was quite nice. But it was a sentiment that she would keep tucked away for now. Tearing off a small piece of bread, she gave it a healthy dunk into her stew before taking a bite. Food was probably the easiest way into Valae’s good graces. Back home on Voss, her appetite had earned her quite the reputation among her friends. The Felucian fare was different than the hearty meals she normally preferred, but it did hit the spot. Still nibbling on her bread, she blinked as Jake offered his gratitude. A small blush colored her face again.

“Oh! It’s been my pleasure.” She nodded, “I’ve had fun, too.”

And she perked a brow at his question that followed.

Normally, she would have just tucked herself in bed. But seeing as she had company this time, she figured that she might as well give the night life a try here. Her head canted in thought, and then it struck her.

“A while back, the tribe members mentioned that there is a small lagoon nearby. I think the path is over there,” She pointed to an area adjacent to the Nysillin field. “They say it even sparkles at night, due to the bio-luminescence. I’d actually like to see that… want to check it out?”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Jake ate his bread and fruit quietly. Though he did note how the Felucians ate, his attention resided on the woman beside him. Valae was hungry. Bread to stew, bites of her fruit, the earlier grumbling had not done her justice. By comparison, ate Jake like a bird. Small quick bites. A man whom didn't eat often learned to eat what he could fast.

'You don't deserve this.'

The thought was the first alert that the dark passenger was beginning to creep outwards. Though the Knight quickly internalized the darkness, burying it once again, that one line had done its damage. This moment with Valae was abnormal. Putting aside the fact that she was Jedi, did Jake deserve this moment that Valae was bringing him tonight? Did he deserve her smile? Her company? Hell did he deserve to have such peaceful moment in time given what he had done in the past?

Jake glanced over at Valae's bowl of stew while he held a chunk of his bread in his fingers. He didn't lie. The man wasn't a stew guy. Still, it smelled good and Valae seemed to love it. Without asking Jake suddenly dunked part of his bread into Valae's stew and took a bite. He glanced at Valae and gave a playful smile.

"Ok, you're right." Jake said as he swallowed, "Delicious."

Jake took a second piece of his bread and dunked it again in Valae's bowl. "The only stew I've ever had in my life was made the Noghri. They had three ingredients. Water. Meat. Salt. All three in varying amounts to create different stews. They all tasted the same though and you would need a stomach of steel to digest it. Its probably why I had so many digestive track issues in my youth."

When Valae mentioned the lagoon by the field, Jake perked a brow as he took a third dip of her stew and another bite. "Anything the lady wants." With that Jake rose to his feet, took Valae by the hand to bring her to her own. For the moment he interlocked their arms and began to walk.

"I think I like it better at night here." Jake said as he looked about. The stars above, the few plants that could light up at night, and the growing glow of the lagoon added a magical, surreal feel to the day. A feeling Jake was conflicted at enjoying. Again the pessimism emerged. Did he deserve this moment? Didn't Valae deserve to explore this beautiful planet with a better person? When the lagoon came into view, Jake finally allowed his arm to unlock from Valae's.

The man couldn't hide the smile from his face as knelt down to place his fingers into the water, "Oh wow. Nice and cold." It was surprising. "Welp," Jake said as he glanced at Valae. "There's one thing to do." Without so much of a hint, the Knight lifted Valae into his arms. This was a bold move, even for Jake. Still his face showed nothing but joy. He was happy; truly happy. Jake took two steps into the lagoon, "Up for a swim?"

With that, Jake tossed Valae into the water.
[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Eating quite happily, she had stew in one hand and bread in the other. Just as she was about to give her bread another dunk in her bowl, she was surprised to see Jake doing the same. For a brief moment, her brows grew close together, and her mouth dropped open. “Hey, now!” She protested playfully, and couldn’t help but laugh as Jake admitted defeat – the stew was good. From then on, Valae held the bowl between them. Glancing at her companion out of the corner of her eyes, she could not deny that there was already an unexpected sense of closeness.

She perked a brow at the Noghri stew recipe, but figured that it would make for quite the hearty meal. And Valae never seemed to worry about the foods she consumed, for she did have quite the iron belly.

Valae grinned up at Jake as he stood to his feet, and she accepted his help to do the same. As he looped her arm around his, she felt a tiny flutter within. What a gentleman, she mused silently. She couldn’t even remember the last time she had walked this way with a man. In fact, had it ever happened? While her list of former lovers was quite small, it had always included men that seemed to enjoy strutting next to her, rather than walking arm-in-arm. But she pushed these thoughts way. After all, Jake was probably just being polite.

“It is quite nice at night, isn’t it?” She smiled, taking a moment to look up at the stars. And her smile only grew wider as they reached the lagoon. It was magical. The calm waters did seem to have a gentle glow. As their arms dropped back to their sides, Valae stepped up to the water’s edge. Her chestnut eyes were wide, and she let her index finger touch the cold water. Now, Valae was the kind that mostly enjoyed viewing bodies of water from afar. However, she would occasionally dip her toes into a serene lake or pond.

“Huh?” She turned as Jake spoke, and then she found herself in his arms. “Swim?”

Before she knew it, she was being carried towards the water. Oh boy. There was no time to speak, but she made an attempt to grab at Jake’s shoulders – a fruitless attempt. She splashed down in the middle of the lagoon, where the water was just a touch deep. Valae had only learned to swim in recent years, and she was still not very strong at it. And memories of nearly drowning on Arkas kept her from remaining calm; one of few times that fear took over her mind. Bobbing up, she splashed about wildly.

“H-help!” She called out to Jake, and then her head began to sink below the water.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

His body dove down into the water. Like a dolphin’s graceful gliding, Jake made his way to a flailing Valae. The lagoon, illuminated to some degree allowed the night to faintly make out Valaes face below the surface. Placing a hand upon her cheeks, Jake forced her to look at him. There was a calmness to Daniels; a stoic nature that radiated an aura that everything would be fine. Yet, Jake knew how much of a screw up this was. Even though he could swim, it was apparent she could not and neither were completely safe. Their clothes and shoes bogged them down and it wouldn’t be easy to break the crest of the water again.

The man pulled the woman’s face to his own and Jake pressed his lips upon hers. Instantly air that Jake had simply taken in as he dove into the water escaped into Valae’s. As she exhaled what little she had left, she did take in what he gave. Jake pulled his face back, knowing they had a few seconds before Valae would need air again. The next thing Jake did was fidget with his feet. One hand remained on Valae’s shoulder; ensuring that should anything happen and darkness consume the lagoon, he’d had a hold of her. His other hand made quick work to remove his boots, then Valae’s own footwear was pulled free.

Swimming around Valae, Jake allowed his body to sink slightly, to the point that his toes barely touched the bottom. With one mighty shove, the man propelled both Valae and himself upwards. Two heads finally broke water. It was here Jake got his first breath of air. He gasped and inhaled deeply yet remained eerily focused.

“I’m so sorry.” Jake whispered. The Knight pressed Valae’s back against his chest. One arm rested across her chest, keeping the woman close while the other paddled them towards the lagoons bank.

As both found solid footing, Jake allowed Valae to crawl away freely while he returned his attention to the lagoon. His knees screamed at him as the hot air, to cold water, back to hot air and once again into cold water did a number on the tired joints. He still had one more thing to do. Without another word to Valae, the Knight dove back into the water. This time he did not immediately come back up. Forty or so seconds passed with the occasional bubble emerging to the surface here and there, showing a trail of Jakes adventures beneath the surface. Finally he emerged again with Valae’s boots in one hand and only one of his own in the other.

The man fell to his knees beside Valae and quipped, “Welp, guess we don’t need to do laundry now. Look, even washed your boots for you.” It was an attempt, a bad one at that, in trying to lighten the mood. “Even got our baths in for the day.”

He turned one of Valae’s boots upside down and let the water pour out onto the ground beside him. Perhaps Jake should have just shut up. He nearly caused the woman to drown.

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

Valae’s uncoordinated splashing did little to keep her afloat. And the panic that shot through her did little to help her situation. Her eyes looked up to the water’s surface as she sank down, there seemed to be only darkness above her now. However, there was a sudden ripple through the water. And suddenly, Jake was there, too. His hands brought her face to his, and his aura of calm made Valae’s panic ease away. Her eyes closed, she felt Jake's lips press to her own, and then there was a breath given to her.

The next thing she knew, she was in his embrace once more, and their heads broke the surface.

Coughing and gasping, she was able to finally draw in a deep breath of air. She heard the apology whispered next to her ear, and relaxed against Jake as he brought both of them back to the shore. Once they were safely on the bank, Valae felt the ground beneath her hands and knees as she crawled up. But before she could even speak, Jake was diving back into the lagoon. When he did not immediately surface, she began to worry.

“…Jake?” she called, craning her neck slightly to look.

There were only a few bubbles that rose to the surface in response. Valae eased herself down into a sitting position, and continued to scan the lagoon. A wave of relief found her as the man appeared, their boots in his hands. She let the breath she was holding finally escape. As he quipped about their laundry, she scooted her way over towards him. Chestnut eyes watched as Jake tipped her boot over and dumped out the water. A chuckle escaped Valae, and quickly turned into full blown laughter.

For some reason, she found this moment very funny… despite the fact that it could have been quite dangerous. As she curled forward laughing, her forehead came to rest against Jake’s shoulder momentarily. And as she drew a breath and straightened up, she looked him in the eyes. Valae took in his features, and then leaned in to give him a gentle kiss upon the cheek.

“That’s for saving me,” She said, voice quiet.

And then she shook her head, her wet hair spraying water at Jake.

“And that’s for throwing me in.” Valae sat back once more, wringing out the hem of her shirt. “Well, I never liked doing laundry anyway.” She was thankful that the air was still quite warm, but she did feel a slight chill upon her skin. “… Growing up in the desert never gave me the chance to swim much.” She confided.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

There was no mistaking Jake Daniels. He was a man whom wore his emotions on his sleeves. Those close enough to him would know when Jake was as hot as a volcano blowing its top. Those whom socialized with him knew when Jake was in the mood to share a hearty laugh. Then there were a very select few that could tell when Jake was experiencing something truly intimate. It was this that Valae would have seen.

Even in the darkened evening hours, even with the dimmer lighting of the lagoon, Jake’s skin warmed and flushed the moment her lips pressed his cheek. He blushed. Something he had done so infrequently that it seemed to be rarer than a total solar eclipse. Jake knew what happened, he knew how his body reacted, yet he wasn’t sure how he should react. It was just a small peck on the cheek. Why then did he seem fixated on it?

“Hey!” Jake protested playfully as he was sprayed with water by a whip of Valaes hair. ”You would not have needed saving had I not been a fool and tossed you in.” There was an unmistakable apologetic tone to his words.

Jake watched as she rung out a part of her shirt. He made no attempt to do the same. He was as soaked as a wet dog. Daniels came to a slow stand, helping Valae up to her own feet. His hands grazed her arms and he could feel a light collection of goosebumps. The lady was cold.

Quietly Jake ran his fingers through the womans hair. Gently those same fingers worked their way through the small tangles in of her hair, though his eyes never left her own. As the tips of his digits found the end of her hair, he again gently worked their way back through. Still his eyes never wavered. The force pull was near magnetic at this point. Even if Jake wanted too, the man wouldn’t be able to leave her side. Valae Kitra was as mysterious to Jake as he was her. The force had brought him here after a long journey. The force had guided him to a fighting pit and then into the graces of this woman. Why? He couldn’t know.

Yet he knew his path was with her.

His breath was silent. His eyes intense. His lips trembled as his face moved ever gently towards Valaes. This was bold, even for him. Jake couldn’t fight against what he was about to do. In all honesty he didn’t want too. The sight of her, the pull of the force, and the heat of her body intertwined with his as the man pushed himself into Valae. His lips pressed into hers. Not gentle and inviting; oh no. His lips thirsted for her own, pleading, begging, then dominating in a fiery passion that enveloped the once feared Knight. This kiss, the moment of absolute tranquility was only heightened as their breaths continued to mingle. His hand cupped just below her ear, his thumb brushing against the softness of her cheek.

As Jake slowly, painfully parted their lips, his nose brushed her own. His heart slammed against his chest to the point that Valae would have no illusion about the excitement that boiled within him. Jake wasn’t sorry. Jake wasn’t sheepish. Nothing about his heavy eyes alluded to remorse. He was happy with what he had just done; even if it was an invasion of Valae. The man had given Valae what he hardly ever handed another. Jake had opened himself up to a moment of sheer vulnerability. Was he scared at what could occur next? Absolutely. Did he fear that Valae herself would rage at the forcefulness of such a passionate physical expression from he to her? Yes.

He wasn’t sorry though. He’d never apologize for this kiss.

For Jake it had been remarkable.

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

The mood began to shift. Valae’s laughter faded away, but her smile remained. She allowed Jake to gently pull her up to her feet. Eyelashes fluttered as his hands gently brushed against her bare arms. There was tenderness present in his touch. Her mind began to race. What do I do now? She’d always been the bashful sort, awkward at the best of times when facing any kind of romantic interaction. Even in the dim light, it was possible that her bright blush was quite visible.

Jake’s fingers combed through her hair. It was unexpected, but certainly not unpleasant. Though there was a small voice inside her head that told her to step back, she stayed rooted to the spot. There was warmth here, and she found comfort, too. This was a feeling that that she had yet to truly experience with another. It was such an unfamiliar sensation. Her brown orbs met with Jake’s, almost having to look away, due to the intensity of his gaze… but she kept her eyes locked with his.

And then, she felt him lean in closer.

Valae held her breath. His lips were pressed to hers now, and against her better judgement, she sank into his embrace. It seemed that this as not simply a kiss, but an expression of quite a fierce passion. Her arms wound around Jake, and she felt his palm gently caress her cheek. And when the kiss broke, she let her nose linger next to his. Her eyes were closed, almost unwilling to open again and see the moment pass. Slowly, her hands slid down his shoulders and arms, and then dropped back to her sides.

When her eyes fluttered open, she wasn’t sure what to say. She swallowed hard, and drew in a deep breath. Her legs felt just a mite wobbly, but she forced herself to step back now.

“I… uh,” She stammered, clearly at a loss for words. “Um… maybe we should be getting back now. It’s getting late.”

She realized that she had completely ruined the moment, but she felt conflicted. Valae could not deny that she felt an attraction to Jake. But they had also just met. Her mind was suddenly flooded. Crossing her arms gently, and turning abruptly to head back to the village, she wrestled with the thoughts that invaded her mind. But the memory of the kiss they had just shared kept rising to the surface. As the village came into view, she spoke up, not even sure how close or far Jake was at this point.

“You can sleep in my hut,” And then quickly added, “But… don’t get any ideas.”

As they reached her hut, she stepped past the curtain of fabric that served as a door. Valae peeked her head out. “Wait here a moment, please.” And she ducked back inside to quickly change her clothing before Jake entered. When it was safe, she stuck her hand outside to motion for him to enter. Inside, the hut featured dirt floors, a small sleeping area, and cushions that sat gathered around a low table.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

She was dumbfounded. She was surprised. Yet she did not react angrily. Jake could see it in her eyes. Valae had enjoyed the kiss as much as he did; even if her momentarily verbal stumbling about for words were an attempt to hide such facts. She had embraced him. She had held him. She had kissed back. In this Jake was unable to hide the self-approving smirk that formed as slight curling in the corner of his lips.

Jake was no chauvinistic pig. He didn’t believe himself to a gift to women from unseen gods. He didn’t strut, show off his masculinity at any chance he got, nor chest boasted with brutes in attempt to show dominance. Jake simply didn’t care. He never had. He was a being of intensity. He was a being of focus He worried about himself and a very select few others.

Still he did worry. When she crossed her arms and turned to walk back towards the village, Jake's mind began to think. Then it began to overthink. Then a slight sense of panic had been seeded in. She may have enjoyed the kiss in the heat of the moment. Now though? Perhaps not so much? Was it sudden? Yes. Was it too forward? Absolutely. Still he refused to be sorry for the kiss. He would be sorry should he have made Valae uncomfortable.

Valae had mentioned that Jake could sleep in her hut this evening. Sleep? Then Jake realized he hadn’t thought out that far at the start of his day. He had been drifting planet to planet, sleeping any place he could or not so subtly manipulating the weak-minded into stowing away on their ships. He wouldn’t refuse the offer though. At least he’d have a roof over his head tonight. That and he didn’t have to worry about someone trying to harm him. To that fact, Jake still worried about his own safety.
When he entered the hut, Jake had noticed Valae had changed clothes.

He then noted that the hut was a simple as one could get. Besides the feeble door and the dirty floor, Jake saw a small area that looked like a modest bed and a table with cushions. Slowly his eyes returned to Valae. What he had just done, the way he had looked around, it was pure instinct. The man had to ensure he was safe. Years of fighting, years of assassinating, and years of training had made him a lone wolf steadied on the edges of his paws under pads and ready to fight.

"May I?" Jake asked as he came to a sit on one of the cushions next to the table.

Fingers lightly tapped the table in an obvious battle with his nerves. Small talk. Ironically had not been one of Jake's weaknesses with strangers but Valae? She wasn't just some stranger. The force had brought him to her. The force's pull continued to yank on Jake. Even sitting so close, Jake could feel the magnetism.

"Miss Valae if I made you feel uncomfortable, I am sorry." Jake began in a nearly hushed whisper. Those outside didn't near to here, "To be honest however, I don't just put myself out there. You are only the second woman I've ever kissed. I tell you this not because I am trying to brag or state my life story. I tell you to try and assure you that what I did, I did because..." his voice dropped off when he heard passing footsteps. How was he supposed to explain this? Yes the force guided him here but what he did? That wasn't the force. That was him; all him. "I am not sorry for kissing you, Miss Valae. Not in the least. I truly enjoyed it. If I made you uncomfortable, for that I do apologize."

[member="Valae Kitra"]

As Jake entered and made himself comfortable, Valae worked to prepare a second sleeping spot. Digging into a small trunk, she produced a few extra blankets and a pillow. Next, she rummaged about for her spare sleeping pad. She listened quietly as he spoke, turning towards him to nod once or twice. The honesty of his words tugged at her heart. Placing the mat down near her own, she spread the blankets neatly across it. While the two beds were close, there was a definite and deliberate space that separated them.

Walking back across the small room, she plopped down on a cushion next to Jake. Crossing her legs casually, she set her hands in her lap. “Don’t worry,” She murmured softly, “It’s not that I’m uncomfortable…” Her voice trailed off, and her eyes dropped way. “I’m just not used to this kind of thing. It’s all very new to me, in every sense. I like you, I really do… but we did just meet today.”

Indeed it was the first time she had ever felt so close to another force user. It was proving to be a different and exhilarating experience. The bond between them had formed fairly fast, so quickly that she wasn’t quite sure how to react. She would not deny the yearning she felt inside, but she would temper it with caution. After all, as far as Valae was concerned, she was never going to be like those characters featured in whirlwind romances… she was just too awkward for that.

“And…” She looked back to Jake. “I’ve just never been very lucky when it comes to love.”

It was a bit difficult to admit openly, but it was true. As her chestnut eyes fixed on Jake, she realized that his clothing was still soaking wet. Quickly, she got to her feet and reached for one of the extra blankets. Moving back to her spot next to Jake, she draped the blanket across his back and then gave the corners a tug as she wrapped the warm piece of fabric around him. “There.” She nodded, satisfied. Her hands lingered on his shoulders for a moment, and Valae pushed away the urge to keep them there.

Outside, rain began to fall. There were quiet sounds of droplets falling upon the roof of their shelter, it was calming and peaceful. Valae let her eyes close, and she drew in a deep breath. The wind began to pick up steadily, and the sky above seemed to open up to allow a torrent of rainfall. There was a brief flash of light, and then a loud clap of thunder.

Valae jumped, and instantly scooted closer to Jake.

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Her reaction was understandable. She was as conflicted as Jake. Jake was a bit more skilled in hiding that conflict. That or Jake had caught her off guard to such an extent that Valae didn't have any chance to truly hide her emotions. When she wrapped him in the blanket, Jake was grateful. She was showing him a kindness that few others would have otherwise. A stranger, in ones private hut, drenched in wet clothes, whom had just laid one hell of a kiss on you? Yeah Valae was being far more hospitable than one would expect.

Through it all, there was one thing that Jake took note of above everything else. The closer Valae got, the pull of the force strengthened. When she pulled her hands away, Daniels almost felt compelled enough to follow them. He had to hold back though. Valae was right; they had just met.

Then the skies opened up. Jake thanked the force that he was momentarily distracted from his internal thinking to that of the environment outside. The hut was silent for a few seconds. It started with rain, then the winds picked up, and finally buckets began to fall. In these moments Jake simply fixated his eyes upon Valae. When the loud burst of thunder echoed through the area, shaking Jake's very bones, Valae seemed surprised and scooted closer. A small smile broke on Jakes face as the pull of the force only reaffirmed its presence with her beside him.

Quietly Jake rested his cheek against the top of Valae's head, while she rested herself against his shoulder. It was here, with torrential rain falling on a colorful little planet, that two force wielders from very different backgrounds sat side by side in serene silence. Slowly his heavy eyes began to shut. One blink, then two, and finally they didn't open again.

Daniels stood before a remarkable log cabin. Made of wood and stone It sat nestled among a thick pine forest. Looking at the trees Jake could tell they were not native to Honoghr. Where the hell was he? The Knight didn't approach the front door, instead he began to round the house. Noting that the building was constructed with great care, Jake quietly critiqued it's construction. The planks were set by any sort of sealant. Instead they were linked together like a puzzle. It was exactly how he built his home on Honoghr.

Then it hit him.

"Where are you?" Jake asked with a suddenly deep growl.

"Here. Always here." The cloaked woman said as she came to stand beside Jake. "You know I won't ever leave that thick skull of yours until my plans for you come to fruition."

"Jesus, why can't you just stay dead?" Jake snapped.

"Because you never killed me. Just a deciple. Remember?" The cloaked woman taunted. "Rebecca was just a means to an end to prove that the animal still resides in you."

Jake sneered, "I will end you."

"Maybe," the woman said with a silky voice, "Maybe not. I am showing you a vision of a new future for you Jake."

"I don't want it." Jake snapped.

"Quiet." The woman said. A snap of her fingers took away the voice of Jake who narrowed his eyes in absolute rage. "You build this home in the near future. It's a gift to a new love in your life; a Jedi of all things." The woman snapped her fingers again, taking both of them some distance from home and into a small clearing. They stood at the entrance to a black marble mausoleum. "You build this as well. Unlike my prior visions, you have completely changed that outcome. By following a path among the light, Honoghr is saved but you are just as damned."

The cloaked woman turned to Jake, "I have two things to tell you. The first is that you will die. You're body is in that mausoleum, in a stone casket being mourned over by your new love. You don't die in some glorious battle. You die by sacrificing yourself for her." The cloaked woman paused and turned towards Jake, "The second thing is that your little smuggler friends are currently on that uncharted planet. They were drawn there by your droid who managed to get a distress signal out of its atmosphere. When they landed they were taken captive by the Mercs. Members of the same group you massacred to save a friend when you were there last time."

The woman placed a palm on the side of Jake face, "I woke you from your cryosleep and watched over you from the shadows for the past year. I am just as surprised as anyone to learn the force guided you to the arms of not just any woman, but a Jedi. She will be why you die." The woman placed her other hand on the side of Jakes face, "You have a choice to make. If you go to the planet to save your friends, that Jedi Woman will be targeted by an unknown substance. You get in the way and are infected with it instead. You save her, your droids, and your friends. You won't die immediately. It'll take time. Months. Years. I cannot see that far but it won't be a peaceful death. The other option is to let them die. Forget about them, live your life with her," referencing Valae, "and die in your old age but we both know what choice you're going to make, don't we?"

Daniels narrowed his eyes.

"I wish I knew why the force brought you two together. I wish I knew why you two are drawn to one another. Again time will tell. The difference is Jake, how much time will you two have together before it all ends for you." Gently the cloaked woman placed a palm on Jakes forhead, "Wake."

Daniels jerked away. With a series of quick successive blinks, his blurred vision sharpened. Jake noted that morning light broke in around the edges of the cloth door to the hut. He and Valae remained as they had been the prior Knight. Sitting side by side, keeping one another company, keeping one another safe.

"Miss Valae." Jake said softly. The cloaked woman had returned with yet another ominous warning. He had friends in trouble yet his mind lingered on what she had said about Valae. Jake was going to sacrifice himself for her. That his death would take time and not be peaceful. "Miss Valae, tis morning." Jake again said softly. As his eyes washed over her features, the pull of the force still as strong as ever, Daniels knew he wouldn't let harm befall her. If going to save his friends meant that he would be led down a path that saw him sacrifice himself for Valae then so be it.

He knew, even now, that he'd do anything for her.

"You mentioned you wanted to see that uncharted planet? Would you mind if I took you there today?" Jake asked. He wasn't going to tell her about his dream, nor the vision he was given, nor the cloaked woman. Not yet. She'd probably think him mad. He wouldn't do anything that would risk driving her away.

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

As Valae got comfortable next to Jake, she leaned gently against his shoulder. The feeling of Jake’s cheek resting atop her head brought a quiet smile to her face. And though she soon heard the rhythm of his breaths grow slower and deeper in sleep, she did not find slumber just yet. Gently lifting the corner of the blanket, she pulled it around both of them. Valae basked in Jake’s warmth, and the feeling of safety that came with being at his side.

And though she had voiced her hesitation, due to the fact that they had only just met… she couldn’t shake the feeling that Jake would become a very important part of her future. It was a strange flash of intuition. Even now, she felt that the two of them were bound together somehow.
She finally let her own eyes close, and the sound of the rain pelting the roof lulled her into a deep sleep.

Before she knew it, the whisper of Jake’s voice was beckoning to her. Slowly, her eyes blinked open. For a moment, she wanted nothing more than to sink back into his side and sleep a little longer. But she straightened up slightly and rubbed her eyes. “Morning,” She mumbled, as she tried to push away the morning fog that clouded her mind.

“Hmm?” Valae looked at Jake, and then nodded. “Sure, we can take a little trip, if you’d like.”

First, she needed to settle something very important… Breakfast. She served up a simple plate of sweet bread and fruit, accompanied by a hot cup of herbal tea. Valae cleaned her plate embarrassingly fast, and then set about gathering her things. With her rucksack packed, she stepped out into the early morning light to sort a few Nysillian plants into containers for transport. Once Jake had joined her outside, the two would bid farewell to the Felucians. But before they left, they were each given a small tin of healing balm for the road ahead.

The hike back was made a bit more difficult given the extra baggage of plants to carry, but they made it safely out of the jungle. Valae turned as they passed by the shady tree near the town square, and the dirt patch that had served as a fighting ring the day before. Today there was a small stand of vendors here. As they continued, she glanced sidelong at Jake, her lips pulled up into a smile.

Soon, they arrived at Valae’s ship, a modified YT Freighter that had definitely seen better days.

“This here is the Tumbleweed.” She said, nodding proudly. “Make yourself at home, feel free to drop your things in the cargo bay.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

She beamed with pride at the sight of her freighter. It was affectionately called the Tumbleweed. Even though the ship looked as rugged as an actual tumbleweed being tossed along an old west dirt road, the way Valae looked upon it meant that she really loved it. That was a love that Jake didn’t understand. He had ships in the past but none that he relied on. The last one he had was wrecked on the uncharted planet. That was going to show a stark contrast between this well cared for freighter and Jakes little one seater.

They had a small but filling breakfast. They’d need it for what was to come. Jake wasn’t skilled in advanced force techniques but his gut was hardly ever wrong. He knew the moment they landed that their lives would be in immediate danger. There was one big difference this time around though; he had a healer with him. Jake may have been the brawn. He’d be able to hold his own against anything on the planet but when it came to injury? Whelp, hopefully Valae was going to be up for the challenge.

“Ok, let’s see here.” Jake said as he took the co-pilots seat in the cockpit. “That’s if you don’t mind, Miss Valae?” He added with a playful wink.

Moments earlier he had placed his messenger bag beneath a bench in the back. He didn’t carry a lot with him. In all honesty, it was probably best if the man changed into something a bit more clean. The uncharted planet still had some of his belongings. Hopefully he was smart enough back then to bring extra clothes.

Daniels grimaced as he looked at the control panel. Newish technology. He knew the bare basics of a ships controls but given the centuries that had passed, the man was still acclimating himself to the modern day standards. Taking a wild guess, the Knight pushed a button that pulled up the nav-computer. Same spot as it had been in the past. That was convenient.

“Two months ago,” Jake explained as he typed in some numbers into the computer, “I was heading to Dathomir. I have history with the Foggy Plains Clan and was set up to meet with their Matriarch.” When Jake finished and waited for the computer to accept the order he turned to Valae. “I was planning to have her wipe my mind.” He let out a sigh, “Long story.”

When the computer gave confirmation of the accepted route and as Valae took control of her vessel, Jake continued with his story, “The problem occurred about half way through the trip. I was gifted a astromech by a family member. Unfortunately the droid wasn’t happy with what I was planning and attempted to take control of the vessel from me. We lost control and landed on the planet I’m taking us too.”

“I spent thirty days on the planet. From what I gathered, around the time of the Gulag outbreak, the planet went through a massive war between its various people. Nuclear, biological, hell you name it, it was probably used. As a result most life on the planet was wiped out. Only pockets of humanity survived. Most other animals that survived were mutated.” He leaned back in his chair, only to take a moment to let his eyes linger on Valae. She was so composed. So structured. She had those traits which Jake was simply envious of. Simply gazing upon her brought a momentary relief to Jake's mind; a soothing aspect he had long yearned for. “The humans that survived created unique ways to combat the radiation and other threats that loom on the planet. Homemade radiation pills using certain types of plant and bone. Sterilization techniques that seem barbaric but work in a pinch. I make no illusion, I don’t think you’re going to love the planet but I promise to show you what I learned there. What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't keep my word for such a lovely woman?"

Smooth. The way he spoke, the way he maintained his composure, the honesty of Jakes words remained. When he complemented Valae, he meant it. With a stretch of his arms and an overly exaggerated extension of his legs, Jake beamed a smile that went ear to ear towards Valae, "Would you mind telling me about your special ship? You call it the Tumbleweed? Any particular reason why?"
[member="Valae Kitra"]​

As the ramp lowered to allow them inside, she breathed a content sigh. Walking into the cargo bay, she set down her load of Nysillin plants and her bag. She realized that it was a bit messy, and she shoved a pile of her clothing out of sight, but not before grabbing up a comfortable sweater. Valae pulled the woolen knit garment over her head and joined Jake in the cockpit. Grinning, she gave a nod as he took a seat in the co-pilot’s chair. Taking a seat herself, she powered up the Tumbleweed in preparation to leave Felucia behind.

Valae listened as Jake spoke, and she blinked when he mentioned that he had been planning to have his memories wiped by a Dathomiri witch. She trusted that it was a long story, but she did not press for more. Instead, she continued to listen patiently. His description of the planet’s past made a shiver run down her spine; she couldn’t imagine the current conditions. But it would be a valuable experience. The Jedi’s duty to learn was never complete. Lifting off, Valae guided the ship as it broke atmosphere and began to take the two to their destination.

And as Jake paid her a compliment, a rosy blush appeared on her cheeks.

His sly smile and relaxed demeanor only heightened the effect. Unable to keep from smiling herself, she shook her head playfully. Maybe he was just teasing. Valae settled against the back of her chair, and gazed out the viewport for a moment or two before answering Jake’s question about the ship’s name. Though most of her memories of the Tumbleweed were pleasant, she had taken shelter in the ship during a very difficult period in her life. She rarely talked about it, even with close friends.

“Well, you see…” She glanced sidelong at Jake in the co-pilot’s seat. “The name is a memento from my days as a wanderer. I know it might be hard to believe, but I did leave the Order when I reached Knighthood.” Valae turned away, her eyes watching the stars. “Like I said before, I’m no warrior. I’m not a very skilled fighter, and to be honest, I just don’t have the heart for it.” Her voice began to grow quiet, and a bit faraway. “… The Silver Jedi had been called to assist with an outbreak of Rakghouls on Galidraan. It was my first time in battle. That night, I killed… for the first and only time.”

Valae winced at the memory, and crossed her arms.

“I know Rakghouls are hardly living beings, but I still took issue with it. I left the Order to find myself, and I traveled home for a spell. Then, I just went where the wind took me… just like a Tumbleweed.” She attempted a smile. “This ship’s been like my home.” She gave the control panel an affectionate pat.

Her hand rose to scratch her head, ruffling up her mess of brown waves.

“I don’t know… times are changing. The peace I knew as a padawan is gone. Maybe it’s time to learn how to fight.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Valae had a rebellious side. That was the first thing of note when the Grandmaster explained that she had left the order after becoming a Knight. Jake wasn’t subtle. He was going to pry had she not continued on. She wasn’t a fighter; that Jake knew upon meeting her. When her voice seemed to drift, her eyes seeming to fall into a pit of daydreams and memories, Jake learned that the thought of killing sickened her. She had only ever killed once, a Rakghoul of all things, but still it had been a living entity. She explained that she had gone back home, then drifted. There were some similarities to their story. She followed the wind. Jake followed the force. They both drifted; both had survived on their own.

When she mentioned that it might be time to learn how to fight, Daniels was for the moment at a loss of words. He was a skilled combatant. Though he oozed of internal self-confidence over his skill, he had been trained to never show it. The best need not brag. With a saber he was the best so with a saber he didn’t brag. The force was another story. Still, Valae even pondering to learn to fight? He had just met her. He hardly knew her. Yet here the two strangers were, coasting across the galaxy to a war torn planet. Two strangers with different upbringings yet surprisingly similar experiences. She was a stranger that the force had guided Jake too. He hardly knew her. Yet he had learned so much about her with her few sentences.

“No.” Jake said as he finally took his gaze away from Valae and looked out of the window before him. “Fighting doesn’t suit you.” He placed a foot on the chair and rested his arm on his knee, “I’ve known many warrior Jedi. All of them were flawed. Their flaw? They wanted to fight. They sought out fights for a fights sake. You,” Jake turned towards Valae, “are different. You are a nurturer. You are a protector. That much I know. You don’t need to learn to fight.”

Jake shook his head and returned his gaze to the stars before them, “You need only learn how to protect yourself. You do that, you focus on that, and you will win any fight that comes your way.” Yet another soft sigh escaped his lips, “That was the downfall of the Jedi some time back. All they wanted to do was attack. They wanted to invade for what they called freedom. Yet I saw through it at the time. They were led by those whom simply craved the battlefield. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. That’s what my Master trained me to identify. That’s what I had been trained to hunt.”

“Had they learned to defend themselves first. Learned to be protectors instead of aggressors, I might have been defeated more often. When you’re attacking, you aren’t fighting for any real cause. Hubris takes over. It’s unfortunate really.” Jake turned towards Valae, spinning the chair to completely face her, “I was trained as both an assassin and a guardian. I can teach you how to be a protector, to be proficient with a lightsaber. I won’t teach you to be a warrior. I won’t put such a blemish on perfection.”

He bit the corner of his lower lip as he pondered an idea that crossed his mind. Insane? Maybe. It might not have been as unreasonable as Jake asked. The question was whether or not Valae would be up to the challenge he was about to lay before her. Even if she rejected his notion, at least they were in a private setting.

“Perhaps,” Jake said as he took in a deep breath. Anxiety began to rise in his voice as Jake began to speak his question, “I can train you to defend yourself and in exchange you help me?” Jake paused as he let out his breath. "One thing you have to understand about me is I don’t trust easily but when I do I am loyal unlike any other.” There were many unspoken things here that both would pick up on. The most important being that Valae was it. She was his path. If not here then it would be no one. “Would you be my lighthouse as I find my way back out of the darkness?”

[member="Valae Kitra"]​

As Valae looked away, there was a tiny frown tugging down the corners of her mouth. But as Jake responded, her expression brightened slightly. Fighting did not suit her. In a way, she as relieved to hear him say so. Indeed it was something she knew, but sometimes the words of others seemed to sink in deeper. The chance to brush up on her saber skills would be nice. And she did look forward to the day when she could defend herself without being overcome by worry.

A moment later, Jake’s demeanor changed.

Studying the man closely, she watched as he bit his lip in thought. She had to wonder what he was thinking about. And as he began to offer her a proposal, her eyes grew just a touch wider. It did seem quite a fair offer. Valae felt a small flutter within as Jake spoke about his sense of loyalty, but she continued to sit quietly. Deep down, she already knew how she would answer. She would serve as his light in the dark. As she extended her hand out for him to shake, Valae knew that their fates would be bound together.

“It’s a deal,” She said, smiling. “We’ll work together. In fact, I think we’ll make a good team.”

She’d left the topic of redemption back on the trail to the village, but now would be the time to address it. During their short time together, she had built up a measure of trust. Though she had little experience with guiding folk to the light, she felt a quiet determination. Valae did truly wish to help Jake. Of course, she knew their road together would not be easy; it would likely be rocky and steep and difficult to navigate. But they would make it through, she felt sure of that.

“You know,” Her chestnut eyes met his blue orbs. “This means you’ll be stuck with me for some time, right?” Valae chuckled softly, but let her expression grow a touch more serious. “I know you’ve mentioned some dark times and misdeeds in your past, but you’re a good person – I can feel it. You seek change, and that takes courage.”

[member="Jake Daniels"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom