Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Mandalorian’s Struggle

With the upcoming conflict between the Enclave and the NJO/Alliance my Mando is going to be in very awkward place. Well she has already started fighting the former on Kashyyyk but not as an Alliance soldier but only as an ally to the Wookiees. It is an interesting development but a perplexing one all the same. As a Mandalorian she aligns with Jaster Mereel’s ideology and is against the pro crusader mindset. For the time being she will feel very much isolated even though she stayed true to her personal beliefs about honor.

What are some things I could consider in this kind of character arc? Though for the record I’m not aiming for her to quit being a Mando in the end just to point it out.

Last edited:
I think the one thing that truly makes a Mandalorian is that we are a sturdy and fiercely independent group of people. There's no one right way to do Mandalorian, as long as you follow some interpretation of the Resol'nare, you are still considered as one. Now, if your character decided to stand on the other side of the crusade, IC wise I'm sure most of Enclave members, especially the proponents of the crusade, will treat them as traitors. Mandalorian infighting is a trope for a reason.

Some interesting arcs that I can think of are the interaction between your character with old friends that are still in the Enclave, like-minded Mandalorians that used to be in the Enclave, Mandalorians that always operated outside of the Enclave, your current GA compatriots, and how all those build up to your character's internal struggle. Angst, emotions, and betrayals can make the most compelling story so I think it would be a good idea to lean towards that direction.

Again, this is just my personal opinion and doesn't reflect on the view of the Enclave as a faction, so if anyone has a different opinion, feel free to chime in :) and I'm always open for further brainstorming if you are interested!

The way I usually approach it is that Mandalorian is an ethnocultural identity. It doesn’t really ever go away. People can leave the armor behind, or not have armor at all, but that doesn’t change their self-concept. We see that in the Mandalorian show in the conflict between Bo-Katan and Boba. There isn’t really a one right way to be a Mandalorian, because if it’s your culture, it’s your culture. Other subcultures may not like it, but they’re not like the Jedi where membership is defined by tenets and adherence to a code as part of a formal organization that people can be expelled from. Sure, there’s dar’manda, but that doesn’t make someone change their culture or ethnic identity.

So as for a character arc, there’s a lot of things you can do in the conflict between ethnic/cultural identity and personal values. Because that is what anything ultimately comes down to between individuals and institutions. It’s happened to the Jedi a few times- when they go fanatic or not fanatic enough and individuals aren’t part of the majority opinion. Same thing with Sith.

What does being a Mandalorian mean to your character? What are the values that matter to them? What happens when they come into conflict with the broader community, both of Mandalorians and in the GA? Do the actions of others taint the meaning of being a Mandalorian?

I think it would be fun to explore the “war is hell” angle. She beats herself up fighting the other Mando people but then in the end GA also does things that are bad. War is never as simple as a good side and a bad side. Everybody is evil in war because it causes suffering no matter what. So was it reality worth it to fight her kind in the end?

Just my two cents

I believe I have a decent understanding for where you're coming from with Minerva. Perhaps something that could help add to the discussion is the look at the Mandalorians with a less macro lens so to speak. For example how might Minerva's clan uniquely conduct themselves. Are they traditionally loyal to the greater mandalorian society and culture or something else? For example Cyran has marriage ties to Clan Awaud who have historically been pretty distant from the wider culture and keep to themselves fairly often with their clan based far out on Vlemoth Port.

I think the one thing that truly makes a Mandalorian is that we are a sturdy and fiercely independent group of people. There's no one right way to do Mandalorian, as long as you follow some interpretation of the Resol'nare, you are still considered as one. Now, if your character decided to stand on the other side of the crusade, IC wise I'm sure most of Enclave members, especially the proponents of the crusade, will treat them as traitors. Mandalorian infighting is a trope for a reason.

Some interesting arcs that I can think of are the interaction between your character with old friends that are still in the Enclave, like-minded Mandalorians that used to be in the Enclave, Mandalorians that always operated outside of the Enclave, your current GA compatriots, and how all those build up to your character's internal struggle. Angst, emotions, and betrayals can make the most compelling story so I think it would be a good idea to lean towards that direction.

Again, this is just my personal opinion and doesn't reflect on the view of the Enclave as a faction, so if anyone has a different opinion, feel free to chime in :) and I'm always open for further brainstorming if you are interested!

She is going to go through it emotionally. In her point of view if the Enclave is willing to side with the likes of Transdosen raiders to slaughter Wookiees for sport then there is no line her former comrades won’t cross or so she would come to believe after Kashyyyk. As such if she comes across an Enclave member afterwards she’ll more than likely attack on sight, believing they can’t be reasoned with unless circumstances restrain her. She’ll become wary of other Mandos until convinced otherwise. As for her Alliance comrades, the soldiers she has fought beside in her unit they still care about her and vice versa.

Of course Minerva will wonder what the Alliance military as a whole will do with her when a clash between them and the Enclave happens even though she is not with the latter anymore.

What does being a Mandalorian mean to your character? What are the values that matter to them? What happens when they come into conflict with the broader community, both of Mandalorians and in the GA? Do the actions of others taint the meaning of being a Mandalorian?

For her being a Mandalorian means everything to put it simply. Her definition of honor is the value that matters most to her. To keep one’s word, to fight bravely even if it means death and not murder the innocent and protect or avenge them. Minerva believes being a warrior that faces against challenges in life without needless cruelty. If either mentioned group does act like the Sith or the Old Empire she would be extremely conflicted but in the end try to live by her own code even if means becoming an outcast/fugitive to both.

Deep down though she wants to belong to some kind of family but would settle for still living and dying as a warrior if the former is denied to her.

Be true to yourself. If that brings you into conflict with others, then fight like a crazy barve!

Thanks!

I think it would be fun to explore the “war is hell” angle. She beats herself up fighting the other Mando people but then in the end GA also does things that are bad. War is never as simple as a good side and a bad side. Everybody is evil in war because it causes suffering no matter what. So was it reality worth it to fight her kind in the end?

Just my two cents

She would be grieved to fight fellow Mandos but it’s going to be hard for her to feel any sympathy for Enclave warriors after their sacking of Kashyyyk. They’re not vod to her anymore if they willingly slaughter honorable people like the Wookiees, especially since the latter never done any great wrong against the Mandos.

Of course if the Alliance/Jed Order decides to wipe out her people’s culture because of the crusaders’ actions, she‘ll oppose them as well but refuse to rejoin the Enclave to do so blaming them for it. In such a scenario she would reluctantly seek out another group(not Sith or any group similar) that would accept her being a Mando warrior.

I believe I have a decent understanding for where you're coming from with Minerva. Perhaps something that could help add to the discussion is the look at the Mandalorians with a less macro lens so to speak. For example how might Minerva's clan uniquely conduct themselves. Are they traditionally loyal to the greater mandalorian society and culture or something else? For example Cyran has marriage ties to Clan Awaud who have historically been pretty distant from the wider culture and keep to themselves fairly often with their clan based far out on Vlemoth Port.

Technically she is clanless right now. Her adopted father Jorel was from Clan Merrik but he pretty much raised her as a single parent without clan’s support. Of course Minerva had dreamed of either forming her own clan or joining one with similar values to hers.

Last edited:
Elise Krayt will be facing a similar struggle. She's loyal to the Empire, but her entire family is with the Enclave. Elise is gonna be having such deep conflict, and feeling like everything she's worked towards is falling apart. Not to mention the brutal sister vs. sister fight I've got planned! It'll be awesome!

Here's to hoping that after the conflict, her connections to her family and the Enclave will be salvageable.

Elise Krayt will be facing a similar struggle. She's loyal to the Empire, but her entire family is with the Enclave. Elise is gonna be having such deep conflict, and feeling like everything she's worked towards is falling apart. Not to mention the brutal sister vs. sister fight I've got planned! It'll be awesome!

Here's to hoping that after the conflict, her connections to her family and the Enclave will be salvageable.

That’s sounds cool for Elise. Family feuds are part of the Star Wars tradition after all heh. Hope it works out.

Due to not having any family connections herself my character’s faith in the Enclave is completely shattered and it’s hard seeing that repaired. Of course in all honesty she hadn’t been really involved with the Enclave for a long time since that diplomatic disaster with the former Empire at Kestri. Minerva never made a big name for herself among them so in a confrontation they‘ve probably be like Thanos in Endgame

99d8490a35816c10a5cda3d035198268287058ed.gif

Last edited:
With the upcoming conflict between the Enclave and the NJO/Alliance my Mando is going to be in very awkward place. Well she has already started fighting the former on Kashyyyk but not as an Alliance soldier but only as an ally to the Wookiees. It is an interesting development but a perplexing one all the same. As a Mandalorian she aligns with Jaster Mereel’s ideology and is against the pro crusader mindset. For the time being she will feel very much isolated even though she stayed true to her personal beliefs about honor.

What are some things I could consider in this kind of character arc? Though for the record I’m not aiming for her to quit being a Mando in the end just to point it out.

Sounds like Minerva is having an identity crisis. Honestly she could come talk to Siv. They’re old war pals and he’s patient, listens and isn’t in a crusade frenzy. Plus his status as Enclave legend would probably lend to him being a figure Minerva would approach. I think it would make sense in-character for her to seek some answers, and if you want to thread White Scar Post is always open :) I’d be down to write with you.

Sahan is Siv's adopted son, so he'd more or less have a similar view. And my other character, Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher , was a Mandalorian raised amongst the Jensaarai of Susevfi, heart of the Rimward Trade League. He has a strong sense of honor and what it means to be a warrior, and his idea of the perfect Mando is a lot more righteous than the views most have. He thinks it best to be the best example and make people want to become Mando, not wage war with everyone to instill fear. He will end up breaking ties with the Enclave at some point, that has already been established. Don't know when or where yet though. Meanwhile Kalðr Ísbjørn Kalðr Ísbjørn is a soldier and is fine with whatever, long as it unites the Mando'ade, though he'd be against senseless slaughter of civilians. But battle tested Wookiee warriors aren't really civilians... (Not that he has anything to do with that. ATM, not many in the Enclave actually know that's even happening. It's mostly Concord Dawn Mandos. And Romul Saxon. And Dima. And a dragon who doesn't know any better.)

Sounds like Minerva is having an identity crisis. Honestly she could come talk to Siv. They’re old war pals and he’s patient, listens and isn’t in a crusade frenzy. Plus his status as Enclave legend would probably lend to him being a figure Minerva would approach. I think it would make sense in-character for her to seek some answers, and if you want to thread White Scar Post is always open :) I’d be down to write with you.

It will be interesting conversation when it happens.

Sahan is Siv's adopted son, so he'd more or less have a similar view. And my other character, Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher , was a Mandalorian raised amongst the Jensaarai of Susevfi, heart of the Rimward Trade League. He has a strong sense of honor and what it means to be a warrior, and his idea of the perfect Mando is a lot more righteous than the views most have. He thinks it best to be the best example and make people want to become Mando, not wage war with everyone to instill fear. He will end up breaking ties with the Enclave at some point, that has already been established. Don't know when or where yet though. Meanwhile Kalðr Ísbjørn Kalðr Ísbjørn is a soldier and is fine with whatever, long as it unites the Mando'ade, though he'd be against senseless slaughter of civilians. But battle tested Wookiee warriors aren't really civilians... (Not that he has anything to do with that. ATM, not many in the Enclave actually know that's even happening. It's mostly Concord Dawn Mandos. And Romul Saxon. And Dima. And a dragon who doesn't know any better.)

Minerva suspects it’s the Wookiees’ strength and skills that made them a target. Still that doesn’t make her any less enraged by what’s happening. Especially seeing Transdosen raiders accompanying Enclave warriors. The former obviously there not just for a good fight but either to make pelts out of Wookiees or gain slaves(depending on what deal was made.)

Transdosen raiders accompanying Enclave warriors.
The Trandoshans are allying with the Munins, who are Concord Dawn Mandos and (IC) not affiliated with the Enclave. (But may join later, I'm not entirely certain on that. I think the ooc plan is for them to join, but not 100% sure.) Only Enclave Mando with the Trandoshens is Dima, who... Has her own primitive way of seeing things.

The Trandoshans are allying with the Munins, who are Concord Dawn Mandos and (IC) not affiliated with the Enclave. (But may join later, I'm not entirely certain on that. I think the ooc plan is for them to join, but not 100% sure.) Only Enclave Mando with the Trandoshens is Dima, who... Has her own primitive way of seeing things.

That’s makes sense. We’ve see what happens with the fallout. Should be interesting.

It should be fun, whatever side you decide to fall on. I definitely recommend sticking to your character's beliefs and convictions. Makes great story. It'll be like that for my MC Corbin Vasher Corbin Vasher , when the time comes for him to face his vode because he sees them as being dishonorable, while they see him as being a traitor to the Enclave (or an RTL shill, at the very least.) Gonna be some good drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom