Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Lesson in Proper Etiquette

A culture of his? It sounds more like an excuse to be used than anything else. I could say the exact same thing, yet I would not be able to get away with it.

"First impressions are very important." And he seems to try to exert authority over me when it is not his place to do so. I keep that thought in my mind, for we had gone over this before. "However they can be altered." I have another small sip of my wine after taking a medium sized breath. It was not a sigh, yet close to it. Once again I feel as though I am being schooled. I am aware that I am not perfect, but still he is not my tutor.

I glance about as he removes his mask, deciding that refraining from staring was a better choice. He has scars, which can be a reason as to why he hides his face. I can imagine various scenarios by which he got them, yet I highly doubt that any of them are correct. Regardless of the scars he was still very pleasant to look at. There are no tan lines due to his mask. Instead the skin tones on either side of it match. I fold my hands upon my lap as I find myself dwelling too much on his features. Instead I focus upon his words.

"Your intentions? I do not work well with hostilities and that is exactly how your intentions have been portrayed. There are gentler ways to go about things and lying is not one of them." I pause for a moment as I collect my thoughts. I do not want anything that I say to come out wrong. "I was honestly shocked that you wanted me to join you for dinner. And given our earlier encounters I had expected nothing more but the same to happen. Yet it is duty that has brought me here for the most part." A duty to my parents, the Board of Directors and to New Cov. "Clearly we have gotten off on the wrong foot. And whether or not that can be mended, I do not know. But if first impressions can be altered, then I am willing to take that step." I was still unnerved and had my guard up, yet I offered an olive branch all the same.

Tag: Darth Temerant Darth Temerant

df9oq0y-f22f7990-8395-4662-b9e1-a9fc2b16de9c.png

TAGS: Liin Terallo Liin Terallo
"But I am not gentle," he stated plainly. Perhaps, the understatement of the century. "I did not arrive where I am today but engaging in pleasantries," or perhaps not. That one certainly topped it. That one topped it. Life is not a stroll, Miss Terallo. It is a fight. We all do what we must to survive, if not thrive. From the lowest life form to the most powerful of Force users. And the business and political stages are no different in that regard," he suggested.

He rocked his head side to side, giving himself some time to think. He did that. Measuring his words, giving himself ample time to think on what he was going to say. Never once did he seem discomforted by the silences he enforced, even if it was bound to have the opposite effect on some. "I am not sure I would have done the same in your shoes. After all, I think we can both conclude that a business relationship is not in the stars for us. There is no real reason why you ought to subject yourself to the punishment of my company," he noted plainly. "But I understand duty. I respect that," he assured her then.

"I suppose since I invited you here, the crux of at least making this faintly entertaining, if not enjoyable, lies on me," he concluded at last, leaning back into the comfortable chair, an elbow coming to the armrest as he held his chin in his hand. "So, Miss Terallo. Tell me. What does an overachiever such as yourself do with her free time?"

Idle conversation was not one of his strong suits. But Doren had no such qualms, he had to remind himself. Stern as he was, he did still have to deviate from his own personality in some ways. And Doren was meant to be charming when he so pleased. Or at the very least, sociable.

"I disagree. Life is not a fight. Perhaps some part of it may be, but not all. Everyone is not an enemy. If you constantly look for a fight, then you are sure to find it at every turn. I choose to not live my life that way, Mister Doren." I prefer to find beauty and joy in most things. But it is not as though I could tell him that. There is not a whole lot that I feel that I could tell him without being schooled.

A business relationship is not in the stars for us. That is what he says and for the moment, I agree with him. However it makes me wonder if his earlier threats about denying him such will come to fruition. Only time can tell.

I turn to my wine again as he calls me an overachiever and take another sip. I do not think that I qualify as one. "I am uncertain of what an overachiever might do in their spare time, Mister Doren. But I, myself am particulsrily fond of painting. I have had instruction since I was young, though you'll never find my work in some public gallery. My place is not that of an artist. Painting is merely an enjoyable hobby." And one that I was told cannot interfere with my role. "And what do you do in your spare time, Mister Doren?"

Last edited:
4cd2967273ce96310a751ca25d165ea4.jpg

"I didn't say everyone was an enemy. Some fights can't be fought alone," he remarked wryly. "I don't mind fighting though. Keeps me sharp. And you only have the luxury of thinking that way because someone already fought to bring you where you are. Whether it's for our progeny, our homeland or indeed, our own interests, everyone fights for something. Why, we exist only because part of us won the biological race, against millions of other little swimmers," he noted plainly. "Everyone's a fighter, from the moment of their conception."

He shrugged, wetting his tongue with his plain beverage.

"I enjoy paintings," he admitted. "Though I've never tried my hand at it. I can draw, but it's all very technical. Shapes and designs. Nothing that would demand an emotional response from any but the most avid of engineers," he mused, before letting out an amused grunt. "And I don't really have spare time, Miss Terallo. What you might regard as it is spent in the pursuit of bettering myself. I train my body and I seek ways to improve upon my own work," he let her know. This much was true, at least. "I suppose I enjoy reading, and playing bouts of Dejarik. But at the end of the day they're a means to improve my cognitive abilities," he concluded. A workaholic, if there ever was one.

"Not everyone fights all of the time and on every given day. I know that I do not, and I prefer it that way. There is no need to live every day in conflict." I find myself fighting with him in every given moment that he is here and I am thankful that it is not something that I have to go through each day. He will be leaving tomorrow upon which will bring me peace and much needed relaxation. There is nothing that states that I must live up to same expectations that he has for himself. I am only to cater to him for the time being, as is directed by my Mother. And then come tomorrow, I will be free.

"I do not believe that my paintings would elicit any emotional responses. I enjoy painting, but my...condition makes it near impossible to be perfect at it." I suppose that is the easiest way to put it. Labelling colors has not helped, for it is impossible for me to tell what they are like when mixed. I also am never sure that I can match colors to any given thing.

If only everyone could see the way that I do.

"Ever a perfectionist, are you not, Mister Doren? Being happy must be the most difficult thing for you to acquire; a target that you might never reach and a goal that will never be accomplished." In some respects I pity him, but I will never tell him that. It is sad, really. Some people are sour in demeanor towards others for no other reason but to feel better about themselves. They strive to be better than everyone in all that they do in hopes of creating a sense of superiority. However it is all fake, in my opinion.

I finish my wine and risk a glance towards the kitchen. Our meals should be arriving soon enough. That in and of itself will be a pleasant distraction. "I enjoy reading as well and quiet nights on my own balcony. Perhaps some day I will visit a world where there are beaches. I hear that the wet sand is quite lovely to stroll on." It is not something that I can ever attempt on New Cov. There was naught but death outside of the safety of the biodomes.

"Now who's attacking who?" the man queried, giving her a look of dull amusement. "Hapiness is just a chemical reaction in our brains. Serotonin. Dopamine. Endorphins. And others," he mused. It was a convenient response, which concealed what he really thought on the matter. That some people had to sacrifice such things. That in the process, they became unworthy of them. Any chance at happiness for him was either taken or foregone for something greater. "But yes. Beaches are nice. Perhaps it would elicit such responses in you," he agreed.

He considered the matter as her soup was brought, a light, fancy snack served to him on the house, as to accompany her during her first course.

"And what condition would that be?" he switched the matter back to her paintings, unaware of her affliction. He swallowed one of the honey-glazed endives in a single bite, enjoying the taste. It was a new combination, and surprisingly good, for honey was not something he often indulged in: even if X3 complained about his dietary discipline, assuring him he could metabolize pretty much anything with surprising efficiency. "You seem in perfect control of your faculties and extremities, so I do not expect you're referring to some manner of physical disability," he mused. If X3 could hear them, he'd attempt to roll his eyes. Who talked like that?

He continued to wolf down the food, even as he listened for her reply. For a man who was so strict with himself, he certainly seemed to have a voracious appetite.

He dismisses my comment on happiness and sticks with the scientific explanation for it. I have expected as much from him. Yet still my point is made. Happiness is something he will not even allow himself to find. It makes me wonder if he is really just an android in disguise. There are human replica droids out there, so this can be my first encounter with one. And it can also explain my level of discomfort. My body senses something that my mind does not understand. The truth will come out one day or the next.

The arrival of my soup distracts me from my thoughts. I unfold me napkin and place it overtop of my fan and lap before lifting the soup spoon to begin to eat. I raise my left eyebrow as Mister Doren eats like one that is starved of food. It is rather odd and not something that I have seen before. I eat casually and carefully so as not to spill a drop.

And at a moment's pause I answer his question. "It is a physical one, actually. But not one easily noticed. A painter and many others use a blend of colors for their works. However I have a condition called Achromotopsia, which essentially means that I am colorblind. There are some colors that I cannot see the difference of, which is not ideal in some situations." Moreso is the case when it comes to diffusing a bomb, or pressing buttons on a control panel. There are sure to be many more situations than that. However that is all that I can think of at the top of my head.

"I take it that the food is to your liking?" I continue to eat my soup carefully, yet gracefully.

"It's alright," the man noted. "Though given their prices, one should hope so. I trust you're enjoying the soup," the man stated, rather than asked.

He used his napkin to pat his lips clean, regarding her anew.

"You understand value though, yes? You've had instruction," he noted. "And is art not supposed to be the one avenue through which one might express themselves without concerns for perfection?" he asked then. "I suppose if absolute realism is what you enjoy, you could just paint in black and white. But the way I see it, your condition should not be a hindrance... but an advantage. You see the world in a way few do," he noted. "Who's to say your condition is a flaw in this regard? If nothing else, I would expect it to create fascinating results. Sure, some might be a miss. It's why they call it a shot in the dark... But others might be rather fantastic, hrm?" he grunted his suggestion.

"It's not up to you to decide whether or not your work elicits an emotional response in those who see it. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. And plenty of famous artists were dismissed by their masters and their peers, only to gain much love amongst the general public. How would you know if you don't try?" he concluded.

"It is indeed," I respond to his stament. It was not a question, yet I felt obligated to reply at any rate. I am the guest afterall.

It comes at a surprise however that Mister Doren views my condition as an advantage. I have never heard of that from anyone else. I do not quite see how it can be seen in that regard, unless in the manner upon which I do not see bad fashion choices that others may make. Yet it opens me up fully for bad choices in colors of my own unless I receive help from my Mother or my staff.

"My painting is a hobby, Mister Doren and must remain as such. There are some things that most people should not see, and those are a part of it." Some of my paintings come to mind, mainly self portraits and other such paintings. Opening myself up to such vulnerability of having others judge them is not something that I am prepared for. Nor should I be. "Living in a bubble, as you say, would surely limit the scope of what I paint." But in the future when I travel, I know that I am sure to see wonderful things to capture both in my memory and on canvas when I have the time.

I finish my soup and quietly move the dishes aside for the waiter to retrieve. And shortly thereafter I have another sip of my wine. The flavors of both blend well on my palette. "I cannot allow my hobbies to distract me from my path. I did not come into this life to be a painter. It is not something that I am to be known for." My life must be dedicated to NCBC and New Cov in every aspect.

The man quirked a brow at that. "And is that a decision you made? Or did someone else make it for you?" the man asked plainly. "Tell me, do you think my pursuit of excellence was something I just stumbled upon, or do you find it rather more likely that it was instilled upon me?" he asked poignantly. "Being an engineer was not something I was supposed to do. It was a hobby, an entertainment. My love for technology was looked down upon for those who would plot the course of what was to be my life. And yet I pursued it anyway. And not only am I wildly more successful than they expected, I have become better in every way at those things that were initially expected from me," he let her know.

He wasn't quite sure why he felt like this was a fact. He knew his Master had despised his love for technology, seeing it as a weakness. Yet it had been his tech that had in many ways saved him from him and his hounds. His little 'science projects' that had given him an edge. His understanding of physics and his cultivation of his brains that had made him thrive when only instinct had been expected from him. And it had served him well since, making him far more efficient than ever at what he did. He was a killer, sure. But he was not a mindless one.

And still, something nagged at the back of his brain. As if there were more to it than that. Something he couldn't quite place... Oh well.

"There are some things that others must not see. On that I, of all people, can agree. Believe me," he continued. "But art that is to be appreciated by none other than yourself is not art at all. It betrays its purpose. And I do not see how your little dome constrains your art. Is it a cage not just for your body, but your intellect and creativity, too? Is your imagination shackled by your lack of experiences?" he asked, though the question seemed very much rhetorical. "Everything is connected, Miss Terallo. If you enjoy painting, then paint. Make it a part of who you are. It will free your mind of stress and clutter, and help you come up with imaginative solutions to your problems in other aspects of your life, be they business related, political or even personal," he concluded. "I am not telling you to be negligent of your other duties. Far from it. But if you paint your passions in such a light, pun not intended, you will grow bitter. A quiet part of you, one I'm sure you often ignore, will grow resentful. And it will be as poison to your development," he concluded.

I am taken aback as he questions me. Yet just as I am about to answer those questions, Mister Doren carries on. Perhaps his questions are merely rhetorical in nature.

I fold my hands on top of the fan of my lap as I listen. It is as though he is schooling me once again and it makes me wonder if there is ever a time where he is schooled instead. I am sure that there are some things that I can school him on, but there would be no interest or acceptance of it at all, to be sure.

My path may had been decided before I was born, yet I chose to pursue it as well. I am certain that I could rebel at any point to the detriment of my parents, but I have no desire to do so. And there is a stark difference between engineering and painting. One is a valued skill that can save, protect, improve and even destroys lives; and another is just something to look at.

"I did not say that no one sees my paintings, but merely that most people should not. There are a small few that have seen them." And I have asked them all to keep their thoughts on them to themselves. There are never any requests made for anything specific to be painted. I am quite certain that that there are two reasons for it. One is that they know that I must keep my focus on politics. And the second is that I am not very good. Afterall I have not heard of any whisperings about them among the staff. It could be that my parents also told them to keep silent on their criticisms.

Something that Mister Doren himself could benefit from from time to time. In some respects he is stepping out of line in his remarks. At least that is my own opinion. I do not like to have myself so exposed to him.

"I paint when I have the time to spare and am at my apartment to do so. I can hardly be negotiating for New Cov while working on a canvas, now can I? People like to have the undivided attention of those that they are dealing with, do they not?" I lose myself when I am painting at times, allowing my brushes to almost move on their own. It is an escape like reading a good book. But for someone that is perfect at everything, I can hardly expect him to understand.

"Perhaps when I retire I can pursue the arts more easily. Afterall I will have a lot more spare time then."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom