Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Lesson in Proper Etiquette

Mister Doren was a puzzle; and a frustrating one at that! The way that he spoke to me at my event yesterday was quite rude. Not only that but he treated me as though he wass one of my betters; of which he clearly is not! His name does not come up among the Board of Directors families or kin and therefore he holds no authority over me whatsoever. So it is not his place to scold me in front of everyone! And yet he did! It was embarrassing!

My sleep last night came in short bursts, and was filled with dreams full of anxiety and anguish. Mister Doren was always in the middle of it, like an eye of a hurricane, with a prideful smile underneath his mask. I could see it reach his eyes. So that provided me with little comfort. Something was off about him and for the moment I cannot put a finger on it.

So now it is time to find out.

Given that it is the next day, I expect that my guests are still onworld. So I had my staff extend an invitation to Mister Doren to join me in the sitting room for High Tea. Yes, the man wears a mask, but surely it can be removed for the sake of eating and drinking. And it is considered impolite to not at least offer such pleasantries to a guest. I am dressed more plainly for this meeting, yet I still pride myself with looking my best. Do not get me wrong, for I am not aiming to impress the man, but to find out who he is.

This is my task. And now I wait by the window for Mister Doren to arrive.

Darth Temerant Darth Temerant

df9oq0y-f22f7990-8395-4662-b9e1-a9fc2b16de9c.png

TAGS: Liin Terallo Liin Terallo
Temerant still harboured conflicted feelings about New Cov's taste in attires. Whilst they were certainly fashionable, they left little in the way of space to conceal weaponry upon his person, the man finding the need to fabricate a holster specifically for these occasions, his lightsaber hugging his body tightly. Still, he had to concede that there was a tasteful element to the suit X3 had fabricated for him. There was even a mask to go with it instead of his usual rebreather, matching the texture of the suit.

He'd forgone bringing any particularly technology for this meeting, forcing the droid to sit it out. It was a simple social gathering, after all, and he'd spent the night further familiarizing himself with New Cov customs and quirks.

There was a stiffness to the staff member guiding him to the sitting room, and whilst his own demeanour was no less formal, it was off-set by the bulldozing sense of confidence he exuded, each step taken as if the ground beneath belonged to him.

"Miss Terallo. May I announce Mr..." the manservant began as they arrived, yet Temerant cut him off abruptly.

"Save it. She knows who I am," he told him bluntly. This, of course, could not be further from the truth. But for all intents and purposes, he was once again Doren all over again.

He made his way over to the table, yet ignored it entirely. In fact, his rime glazed hues did not bother to spare a glance in her direction, the man's hands coming to his pockets as he looked out the window, over to the lands beyond the dome. Not that she could spot the unusually pale colour of his eyes: to her, they would surely appear almost entirely white. However, there was no smile that could reach them: or at least, not often, judging by the lack of laugh marks around them, skin smooth.

"I must admit, I was surprised to receive an invitation, Miss Terallo," the man acknowledged with his characteristic dryness. "There was a fair bit of huffing and puffing regarding my demeanour. Somehow, I have some difficulty imagining this shall be any different," he noted. "But it does beg the question, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company this eve?"

Last edited:
The start of the announcement almost startles me as I strayed a little deeper into my thoughts than I had intended. At least I did not spill my tea! However what is more surprising is the staff getting cut off by Mister Doren's abrupt brashness.

I watch him as he walks in and stands nearby, ignoring me with everything but his voice. Such arrogance! He seems to pick up on my feelings and knows exactly what my views are in regards to his behaviour. Yet I must brush all of that aside for now and rely on my training. He already knows a way of getting under my skin. I cannot allow him to get any further with that.

"Thank you for accepting my invitation, Mister Doren. There is tea and small delicacies for you to indulge in should you wish." I have a sip of my tea and refrain from looking at him any further. I keep to the window and the hot jungle beyond the dome. Yet inside feels equally as dangerous as it is out there.

"What business do you represent? I had my staff look into you and they could find no record of you. So I am curious as to why that is."

Tag: Darth Temerant Darth Temerant

Temerant quirked a brow, turning to face her at that. "Then your staff is perhaps not as competent as you'd like to think and you should consider reevaluating who works for you. Or you could rely on yourself instead of expecting every little thing to be handed to you."

The man brought out a small, disc-like object, placing it on the table near to her and tapping a couple of buttons. A series of devices showed up on display as it projected a hologram then.

"In fairness, I cannot entirely blame them, as my anonimity is so by design. I began making my fortune by patenting a series of devices. I specialize in robotics, mainly, but I've an interest in all things engineering," he commented. "However, being an industrialist has never been my goal. I prefer smaller production, catering to the needs of those who can afford and value my inventions. So my interests veered towards recruiting and funding talent," a series of logos began to project then, some obscure, some not so much. "I own stock in many different businesses. I invest in them. Foment the empowerment of individuals with vision. I, of course, own much of their work. But for the most part, I leave them to their affairs, so long as my interests are protected and the credits keep flowing," he pointed out. "I have since expanded my interests to other established businesses, and built a strong network for myself. Make no mistake, Miss Terallo, your inability to find records on me does not in any way reflect the influence I exert."

These were, coincidentially, all truths. It didn't matter that a lot of these enterprises served to fund and cover for his black operations, not to mention provided him a network through which to manage his spies and informants. Doren was a meticulously crafted figure, and there were so many shell companies and financial diversions in place that it would take the most brilliant of accounting minds half a lifetime to even begin to connect the dots. The real him was, to all effects, a ghost. There was perhaps less than a dozen people in the galaxy who knew what Darth Temerant really looked liked, and even then, only one being had ever seen him without a mask.

He took a seat then, taking control of the space around him as his gelid eyes settled on her, the man retrieving the holo-projector and placing it back on the inside of his jacket's interior pocket. "And I appreciate the offer. But I did not account for your invitation today, and I am meticulous about my caloric intake," he let her know. Entirely true, too. "To indulge now would offset the balance I require to keep my energy levels, as well as my mental and physical acuity at peak levels," he informed her.

"Do you make it a habit to insult your host at every opportunity, Mister Doren?" The man is infuriating, yet I still manage to maintain my composure. A part of my wants to spat out an insult right back at him, but my Mother would not be pleased, so I hold my tongue. There is a certain decorum that is expected among those in high society and this man was displaying none of it. Instead he was showcasing the exact opposite.

I turn from the window once I hear the buttons of the holo-projector pressed. I listen and watch quietly as he revealed some of what he does, my attention on the logos that come and go quickly. I recognize some of them, but not all. From what I could tell; he was a threat. And it is clear to me if what he says is true; then that threat comes from more than one direction. I did not like that, no more so than Mister Doren held any regard towards me.

And it was of no surprise that he refused to partake in High Tea. Yet still he sits at the table. I really should sit across from him, yet instead I turn my attention back to the window and sip my tea. The further away that he was; the better it seemed and I am grateful with every fibre in my being that he was not in the Board of Directors. His influence had not reached them.

"Your attire would suggest that you are a Covie, yet the Board of Directors would know of you and your lineage if you were. So where do you hail from, Mister Doren?"

I think back on the previous night's conversation, most notably the part of his remarks regarding neutrality possibly painting New Cov to becoming a target. However the biomolecules themselves and the cultivation of them had already done that in the past. "If you were given permission to invest in our biomolecules, which side of the political coin would that put us?"

Temerant canted his head at that. "I am not insulting you. I merely point out areas in which you have space for growth. That you choose to feel insulted over you and your people's inadequacies is your prerogative," he mused, not one to hold back his punches. "But to me, it simply means you have not yet reached your potential. I am a futurist, Miss Terallo. By definition, I challenge preconceived notions in order to explore what the future holds. If you shared my perspective, perhaps you would see my words as a chance to better yourself, rather than reason to bunch your undergarments into a knot," he suggested. Crude, if sincere.

"As for your Board of Directors, you might be surprised how little they truly know about anything," he suggested. "You live inside literal bubbles. And I am a man of the galaxy. I have fought for it. Bled for it," he sentenced sternly. "I hail from the stars, Miss Terallo. I have likely spent more time amongst them than I have on ground. I place little adherence into sentiments of home-sickness. They are my home. Which brings me to my next point."

He leaned slightly forward. It was a subtle gesture, yet one which demanded her undivided attention. "My allegiance is not placed unto ideologies. It is to myself, and those I deem under the scope of my interests. Those who are under my protection. My loyalty is not to faceless entities, but to the people with whom I am able to establish real, meaningful connections. People worthy of my trust and respect. Were we to make business, I would ensure my dealings would not affect you or your company in any such fashion. My concern is that yours would affect me," he clarified, cutting it clear for her. "And whilst we're discussing the matter, allow me to disabuse you of a certain notion. I am in no need of permission from anyone to do anything. I am not shackled by your customs and ideologies, nor am I subject to any manner of influence beyond that of mine own convictions. You seem under the impression that I ought to be making a case for myself, when in fact, it is your company which needs to impress me. Your wealth and status are derived from access to exclusive natural resources, and an ingrained sense of legacy. Everything I have, I have earned with my own two hands. As far as I'm concerned, the burden of demonstrating excellency lies on you."

He leaned back into his chair then, adopting a more relaxed, if by no means less imposing posture. "You may have a moment to process this," he let her know, magnanimous man that he was. "You are young, wealthy, powerful and attractive. Not to mention sheltered. I understand you are not accustomed to people speaking you at face value," he theorized. "And I'm certain you have never heard the word 'no' from anyone but your parents and your mentors. But I assure you, I've no issue using it."

Bunch my undergarments into a knot?! How dare he! Never have I ever been spoken to in such a crass manner. I hold my breath to further bite my tongue while I close my eyes. To better myself, indeed! I am not some student of his! He held no authority over me and I am fully intending to keep it that way for as long as possible.

And still I must remain where I am, listening to him belittle the Covie for our recent lack in taking part in the wars. New Cov had been under the jurisdiction of many governmental superpowers; only now for the moment we are on our own. Sending me out to make connections elsewhere enabled the Board of Directors to get a sense of which super power was looking to place it's shadow over us next. Not only that but Mister Doren chooses to belittle me as well.

I open my eyes and pivot on my heel, turning to face him. "You are wrong, Mister Doren. You cannot invest here unless we allow it. The cultivation of your wealth by no means diminishes ours for the sake of it being different. We have mastered an art and science that no one else has been able to; and none ever will." Centuries had passed since the first harvesting and study of biomolecules had begun, and to this day it remains solely in the hands of the Covie.

I quietly scoff at him as he 'gives me time to process' what he has told me. The nerve of that man! Yet I cannot allow him to have me lose my composure anymore than what little I have already done so, no matter how deep under my skin he gets. "And something tells me that you delight in telling people like me 'no'. So it makes me wonder how often you had been treated in such a distasteful manner during your youth." People's behavior is often a reflection of their upbringing; and Mister Doren's upbringing seems to be a very tragic one. But in no way did I pity him for it. I like to believe that I can care less about his life than I have to and I prefer to keep it that way.

I finish my tea and move to place it on the side table. I keep myself standing so as to not have him towering over me in any way. I keep to the highground, or so the saying goes. "I can imagine that a man like you has many enemies. Perhaps you could do better by establishing more allies. And not to be rude Mister Doren, but this approach of yours does not work for everyone." Most especially me, I wanted to add.

"Hrn," the man snorted a grunt, clearly amused by her remarks. "If only you knew, Miss Terallo. And tell me, do you think you don't have enemies?" he asked, subjecting her to his scrutiny as he did. "The difference between us is I know exactly who my enemies are. And how to handle them," he informed her in the calmest of fashions, offering the faintest of shrugs. "And by all means, do be as rude as you like. You shan't offend my sensibilities. If anything, I would find it more candid, and preferable to all this passive aggression: even if I do think the way the flush in your cheeks complements you is rather lovely," he teased her, unabashed.

"As for your assertions, I'm having trouble discerning whether they're born of stubborn arrogance or plain naïvette, because no matter what else I think of you, Miss Terallo, I do not believe you to be obtuse," he noted. "New Cov does not have a monopoly on scientific brilliance, nor the field of biomolecules. If anything, you're sorely lacking in these aspects. Make no mistake that your primary point of leverage relies on the uniqueness of your natural resources, or people with less scruples than me will use that particular delusion to string you about," he suggested. "I know of people who can genetically engineer super human bodies and others yet who can bring life back into dead tissue. Hells, even your new friend, Tsungtiin Kwaartz Tsungtiin Kwaartz , is likely capable of doing things with your biomolecules your people couldn't even dream of, given just a little time," he noted. "Did you know the Yuzhaan Vong actually worship the very notion of bioengineering? For all the atrocities they have committed, they truly are a fascinating people. And as far as I can tell, Master Kwaartz may be the most advanced Master Shaper I've ever heard of. I've never known one to have so many grafts, and those were only the ones I could see. Given he could hear conversations he had no right doing so, I must assume he has internal grafts too," the man theorized.

"And regarding my upbringing, you may wonder all you like, since there is precious little you can do, besides," he noted. Clearly, whatever she thought of his past had little impact on the stalwart businessman. "But you're wrong in thinking I delight in such a thing. I would find it rather refreshing if you gave me a reason to say yes, instead," he assured her plainly. "Alas, I'm afraid I must once more dispell this illusion you are under," he continued, non-chalant as his attention returned to the jungles beyond once more, almost longingly. "You do not have the power to allow me anything, Miss Terallo. Barring the fact that if you decided to oust me for personal reasons I could have your company buried in legal paperwork for discrimination and obstruction to free commerce under standard galactic regulations, for all you know I already have my hands on your product. I have dozens of proxies who can deal with you without you even knowing you are dealing with one of my associates or subsidiaries. You think you understand what kind of person I am. You do not. You mistake what are factual observations for attacks on my behalf. You think because I am abrassive that I have no concept of loyalty and allegiance. And more importantly, you feel entitled to a deference you have not yet earned. You assign yourself a value that is entirely arbitrary and subject to your ego and your limited understanding of the reality you now tread upon. And for that simple reason, I could dance circles around your company all day long, and you would never be none the wiser," he concluded.

He quirked a brow, observing her once more. "I am curious. How did you think this was going to go? Were you hoping I would come here and you would be able to figure me out over tea? To break me down and grasp at some manner of leverage over me? Perhaps to teach me a lesson for my brashness?" he suggested. "How is that working out for you?"

Last edited:
I know that I do not have enemies, or at the very least; none that were personal to me. I do not make it a habit to cause trouble for others and create enemies for myself. I do my best to treat everyone with respect and grace; whether they deserve it or not. New Cov is not at war with anyone, so there is that as well.

I raise my right hand to check the temperature of my cheeks. Have they been flushing? I assumed that my make-up would hide such a thing if it is to occur. Is it failing it's job? This is the second time in many minutes that Mister Doren had complimented my looks. Perhaps it is a bit of sugar to go down with the sour medicone of his reality that he gives me.

It is too late for me to hide the fact that I checked up on what he had said. So I keep my movements slow and precise as I lower my hand and pour myself some more tea. It is impossible not to listen to him and I am very adament to not tune him out. He speaks about the Vong; and Tsungtiin Kwaartz Tsungtiin Kwaartz in particular. Part of what he says in regards to biomolecules and our research is true. But not all. There are projects in the works that very few people are privy to and I will not betray their confidence in me to divuldge even a hint of it to Mister Doren. And what I do not like is hearing of just how far his influence may be, and that with a blind strike of a pen, he could have a stake in NCBC. For the sake of my own pride I cannot allow that to happen. So it is with utmost caution that I must tread, even if it is for personal reasons.

And here he is calling me out on that thought too, as though he is reading my mind. I pour some cream into my tea to cool it down and gently stir it with a spoon before bringing the cup to my lips for a small sip.

And now it is my turn to speak. I balance the cup on a saucer with my other hand. "On the contrary, Mister Doren; your assumptions about me are not entirely correct. Yet which are truths and which are false I will not say. And this conversation is exceeding my expectations. What those expectations are, you may or may not have already touched upon." I am of course, a Lady and it is expected of me to be enigmatic at times. "I hold more power than you'd like for me to believe and I will continue to do so." And I will be darned if I ever allowed him to take that power from me. "I must admit, though, this conversation is quite helpful in preparing me for the challenges ahead of me when I am put on the political stage. So I thank you for that, Mister Doren."

"Hrm. Yes. Your aspiration to a senatorial seat. I'm sure this little meeting will prove very instructive when it comes to dealing with intellectual opposition," the man mused. Clearly, his sources were impeccable. "Although I fully expect that, unlike here, you shall actually win your debates," he noted, fully confident, it seemed, in his advantage in their verbal sparring.

The man looked at his chrono, then back at her. "I don't really care what power you hold, Miss Terallo, nor what you presume in that regard," he let her know. "I don't even care whether or not you understand that said power is incapable of touching me," he continued bluntly. "The fact is that it does not. You may posture and counterpoint me at every turn. You may even believe your quaint little arguments to be true. And still, that shall remain an immovable truth," he concluded plainly.

He regarded her a moment, then canted his head to the side. "I don't really see this conversation moving any further," he admitted. "You will continue to stubbornly defend your motherland's and your own strength, and I will continue to remain indifferent to your assertions," he rocked his head side to side, as if such were an inevitability that did not much interest him. He gave her another once over then. "Would you like to join me for dinner?" he asked, seemingly out of the blue. "Given that you've delayed my trip off-planet for the day, I have made reservations on the Cov Royale's penthouse," he informed her, then paused, as if considering. "Allow me to rephrase," he begged then. "I've rented out the Cov Royale's penthouse," he corrected.

It was one thing to get a reservation on one of New Cov's most stylish and in demand's hotel restaurants, on such short notice. It was quite another to rent out their entire penthouse for the night. Clearly, Doren liked his privacy.

"It will have all the usual amenities, of course," he continued. "A live music show. The most exquisite dining your planet has to offer. Unparalleled views of the dome - except, perhaps, for your own," he noted, glancing once again out the window. "I do believe we shall dine on the terrace, given your dome provides city-wide climatic conditioning. It is quite remarkable, finding a planet where one can actually appreciate the stars from the commodity of a city," he remarked.

"So," his attention returned to her. "What do you say?"

So he knows. But perhaps it could be because I had spoken already of my desire to be on the political stage. And given that I am the Representative for New Cov, would becoming a Senator not be the next step? Yet that is presuming only if the next superpower that stretches their territory to New Cov and beyond even has a Senatorial body.

However this revelation can also mean that my movements are being watched by spies. It is something that I must be cautious and mindful of in the future.

I sip my tea as he continues, boasting more arrogance with each sentence, assuming himself to be untouchable. But if I put my mind to it and use every available resource, I am certain that I can best him somehow. In that regard, Mister Doren has posed a challenge. But in taking that challenge, would I not be playing into his hands?

"It seems we have reached an impass," I nod in agreement towards his statement that the conversation would not move any further. And yet I am taken aback with his invitation for dinner. My eyebrows rise up in surprise and my jaw opens slightly. I close it near immediately as I fully regain my composure. Mister Doren baits me more with his snobbery; ready to showcase some of his wealth, or better yet, what he can do with it. A large part of me longs to decline his invitation. However I can almost hear the voices of my parents as they echo statements of decorum and duty. And it is to them and the rest of the Board of Directors that I serve.

"I would be honored to join you for dinner, Mister Doren. Thank you." At least I will not be there alone like I am now. There will be staff, certainly. And the view from the terrace is a remarkable one. I have been there before, so I know first hand. And perhaps then I will get to see his face behind the mask.I have another sip of my tea before continuing. "At what time am I expected to attend?" I still had much to do of my own for the day, yet some of that will need to be set aside to prepare myself for dinner. My parents will not have it any other way.

"Hrn. Honoured," the man grunted in amusement. "You need not lie to me, Miss Terallo. Like I told you before, I am not bound by your customs and sense of etiquette, and neither should you concern yourself with propriety. I am offering you a unique opportunity to simply be yourself," he remarked, shrugging slightly before standing from his seat, closing the top button of his jacket as he did. "I suggest you take it."

With that, the man began to make way. "I shall send a speeder to pick you up at eight in the afternoon, local time," he informed her. "You shall meet for hors d'ouvre at eight fifteen. From there, we can see where the night takes us," he concluded. "Oh and don't bother your staff," he remarked before she could intercede, opening the door. "I know my way out."

With that, he disappeared as it closed behind him.

Temerant sat at the terrace by his lonesome, his pale gaze naturally gravitating towards the flora beyond the dome. His suit and mask repertoire was increasingly growing, and the man had to keep from adjusting the knot of his tie. Such a curious piece of apparel, it was: stylish, sure, but also something an enemy could exploit in an attempt to choke him. On the other hand, it provided him with an extra weapon, should he be in need of such, as well as a convenient length of fabric. To most, it'd be just that, but to him, it was a utility under the right circumstances.

"Longing for the jungles again, Master?" the droid queried. "You do know that they're infamously lethal, yes?"

"Which would make proving myself out there all the more interesting," Temerant argued.

"Proving yourself to whom, exactly?" the droid asked into his earpiece.

"To myself, naturally," the man remarked as if such were self evident.

"In the past month alone you have been shot point blank, poisoned, had part of a building dropped on you, dueled a number of Force users and exchanged barbs with a Nether entity. And yet here you are. What else could you possibly have to prove to yourself?" the droid queried.

Temerant shrugged. "I don't exactly count those as victories. And there's always new heights to reach, X3," the man commented.

"I suppose," the droid remarked, unconvinced. "Is this date of yours a new height?" he queried.

The Sith quirked a brow. "This is not a date," he gruffed. "I do not date. You know this."

"You are taking a young lady out to dinner. It is absolutely a date," the droid countered.

"No. It is a social occasion. Miss Terallo is making moves. Moves that are pushing others to make their own. And I wish to remain on top of this situation. Fostering a relationship with her, spotty as it might be, can prove benefitial to the future of the Order," the man grumbled, clearly annoyed by the implication.

"Or you could, you know, stop thinking about work all the time and just enjoy yourself for once," the droid suggested.

Temerant did not bother to argue, shutting off the feed with a click to his ear, returning the device to a pocket.

"...Master? Master?" the droid asked, knowing it was in vain. "Drat," he mumbled, deflating into the chair.

There was a slight panting, Terror, the baby vornskr on board of the ship, grinning at him in a dumb fashion as it produce an almost inquisitive whine, tongue drooping as he tilted his head.

"Oh, shush, what would you know? All you do is sleep, eat and get belly rubs," the droid remarked accusingly.

To the mention of belly rubs, the puppy barked excitedly, dropping onto his back.

"...Oh, very well then," the droid gave in as he moved to play with the cub.

He may not be bound by etiquette and propriety, however I am. Mister Doren advises me to be myself during this dinner of his, yet how can I? I do not wish to let my guard down and become vulnerable. He is sure to find a way to use it against me.

I watch him leave, not saying a word. I only dip my head in acknowledgement after he had answered my query. The man is as defiant towards me as I am to him. And we are both very stubborn to maintain our ways. I find it terribly frustrating. Perhaps even infuriating. How many more times will I be insulted and demeaned during dinner? I can hope for none, yet my instincts tell me that is a falsehood.

I set down my tea and exit the room soon after. It was time to inform my parents of what has transpired.

I stare at my reflection in the vanity mirror as my Mother brushes my hair. She always enjoys doing this, and I cannot help but feel like a small child again. Yet I cannot pretend that I do not enjoy this as well, despite what the conversation may be.

"Your dress well chosen, Liin my darling. Elegant and refined, just like you."

"Yes, Mother. But I am not looking to impress him." We had gone through this earlier, however I still feel the need to remind her of my stance.

"In business and politics, one must always ensure to provide a good impression. Remember that. And perhaps if you follow along and cater to him you can discover his identity." My parents did not like to hear of the reach that Mister Doren claimed to have, including his threat of calling them out for discrimination if they refused him his interest in their company. If anything, there is far worse that can be done than to be inundated with paperwork.

"Yes, Mother." I only plan to cater to him so far. If he were anyone else, then I would assume that this was the start of a possible courtship of the like that I had dreamed of in my youth. But that is not what this is. Instead I am sure to be ridiculed and belittled even further for living in a bubble, as he so called it. However I must pretend to enjoy myself. And so I will do just that.

The speeder arrived right on schedule. Reluctantly, I left my staff behind. Yet at least I have my feathered fan at my side. Not only can it keep me cool if I happen to get flushed, but I can use it to signal the penthouse staff as well, if I require them. I take a seat and within minutes I arrive at the Royal Hotel. I draw my fan up and open it, fanning myself gently as I ride up the lift. It was not a long ride at all. Time seemed to speed up when I really wanted it to slow down. I take in a deep breath and let it out slowly in order to regain my composure. And as the lift doors open, I find him exactly where he said he would be. His dinner attire looks slightly more relaxed than what he had donned earlier. It fits his frame well. "Mister Doren. I trust that you are enjoying the penthouse?"

"For what it is, sure," the man remarked, moving to take a stand from the table and crossing over to the other side, pulling the chair that she might take her seat. "You are right on time. I appreciate that," he let her know. Tardiness was not a trait he was fond of.

With the woman seated, he took a moment to pour her a glass of wine from a fresh bottle that had been breathing before her arrival. The man, however, seemed uninterested in filling his own cup, however, a glass of water half-filled in front of his dinner set. At least he took off the mask to drink, it seemed.

He took his seat back, considering the woman. "Nice dress," he commented, if a little dryly. It was hard to say if he was genuinely complimenting her, or simply being polite. As if on cue, a light, pseudo-jazzy tune began to play as the band did a little warm-up, creating something of an ambiance, a waiter stopping by to hand them their cards.

It takes a lot of effort for me not to roll my eyes at his response to my question. Nothing is ever good enough for him, it seems. And I shall not let that get to me. No doubt he is probably acting this way on purpose in order for him to feel better about himself. There were some old members of the Board of Directors that were the same way, or so I was told as I was growing up.

I walk around the table and take the offered seat, crossing my feet at the ankles and tucking them in underneath the chair. I rest my fan on my lap while he pours the wine and take note right away that he was not having any of his own. "Thank you. I take it that wine is not your drink of choice? Or does it go against your diet?"

I do not take a sip of it straight away, instead hearing his remark about my dress. Without even a beat, I respond in kind with the equal amount of dryness, "Nice suit."

I turn my attention to the band for a moment as they start to warm up their instruments. The waiter distracts me from that and I dip my head in thanks while I take the card and look it over. "Well, I just hope that the food is satisfactory for you, Mister Doren." If not there were plenty of other venues for him to go to; away from New Cov.

I try to hide my discomfort, yet I feel as though I am failing. The words of my Mother repeat in my mind on a constant loop; which are to cater to his needs. Oh why could she not be here instead of me? She could handle him far better than me, I am sure.

Last edited:

Temerant, or Mr. Doren, as he now was, did not bother looking at the card, or even at the waiter, for that matter, his piercing, white-blue gaze remaining upon the woman.

"I will take the largest cut of the leanest piece of protein you have, alongside some steamed vegetables. Thank you," he requested.

"Of course, Sir, but might I suggest..." the waiter paused as the man's gaze darted to him. There was something about his eyes that gave him pause. "...White or red?" he seemed to think better of it.

Temerant considered. "Red. Rare," he instructed, seeming to think better of it. "We only live once, hrm?" At least he did. He could think of some people for who the statement did not hold true. But she didn't to know that. "And I scarcely drink," he informed her. "Aside from preferring not to drink my calories, I generally dislike being inebriated. I value my self-control," he explained. It was true, too, even if he had long since mastered the ability to detoxify his body of foreign substances. He could drink a wookie under the table, if he so choosed, all whilst remaining perfectly sober.

But again, that was something else she didn't need to know. He had very little intention to clue her in on his force sensitivity.

"Very well," the waiter took his order. "Shall I return when the lady is ready to make her own?"

Perhaps surprisingly enough, Temerant did not speak for her, merely looking at her expectantly.

I keep my gaze on the card in front of me. I can feel his eyes upon me as though he is studying me. Whether or not he blinks I do not know. Yet I find it to be unnerving, nonetheless.

I listen to his order, followed by his reasoning behind the momentary lack of wine. Self control, and indeed control over everything seems to be what he favors the most. But he'll not be controlling me.

"To indulge in a glass of wine does not mean that one will become inebriated. Besides that wine is good for your heart." If he even has one. At the moment I highly doubt that there isn't anything that he cares for other than himself. A lack of a heart would give reason for his behaviour. It will make for a lonely life, indeed. However I have a feeling that he would prefer to be alone anyways, so there is no loss on his part.

I lift my gaze from the card to the waiter, knowing that whatever appetizer and entree I choose, it will be scrutinized by Mr. Doren. I just hope that I will not lose my appetite. "I will start with the soup, please. Followed by breaded fowl and rice. Thank you." I hand the waiter my card and wait for him to leave before I lift up my glass of wine, offer a silent saluté before taking a small sip. "I hope that you do not sit and allow your meal to get cold, so as to keep your face hidden from me, Mister Doren. I can always spare you from that and just go elsewhere on this floor while you eat." I am quite sure that keeping his identity hidden was of the utmost importance to him. Afterall, this evening is more than likely just to keep him from boredom as he awaits the next transport out. It is not about enjoying a pleasant meal at all. I just had to bear it for a couple of hours.

“That shan’t be necessary,” he informed her. “I do not believe you have the intention of recording me and I hardly believe knowing what my jawline looks like will make all that much of a difference,” he remarked.

Not to mention his scans weren’t picking up any concealed power sources on her person and that attempts at taking footage of his likeness from afar were moot. He had recently discovered he needed to be more cautious still in that regard. People had the most irritable habit of filming everything.

“My wearing of a mask is of cultural significance. Just like New Cov has its little quirks, so do I. And although I do not feel confined by customs and etiquette, that does not mean I do not observe them,” he continued. “I am merely dismissive of them when I believe them to obstruct progress and reason. Or my goals,” he admitted, unabashed. “But it would be foolish of me to not consider their value. They exist for a reason,” he concluded.

It was somewhat exhausting at times, keeping his façade up. Temerant had never been all that interested in the business aspect of things. Nevertheless, it was a necessary evil, and there was no reason not to allow some of his philosophies to bleed into his persona.

“If anything, sharing a meal is one of the few occasions when removing it is considered socially acceptable, and is regarded as a sign of respect and goodwill. Not that I expect you to believe I have much of either,” he shrugged slightly. “I understand that you may not like me very much. And I know that I make you uncomfortable. And please, do not insult either of our intelligence bypretending you’re not,” he preemptively warned. “You are remarkably good at concealing it, mind. But did you know that well ofer half of any interaction is non-verbal? Our body language, the inflexion of our voices, even the changes our body experience during socialisation feed us information. Animals are remarkably good at picking up on these, given they don’t have the capacity for language. We merely pick them up subconsciously, for the most part. But I am of the mind that neglecting this skill is a disservice to ourselves. We can learn so much more about people by training ourselves to recognize these subtle cues. And we were all animals once,” he noted. “There is something empowering about being in contact with that side of our nature,” he concluded.

If he was trying to make her feel more at ease, he was doing one hell of a job.

I blink in surprise as he mentions recording him. The thought has never occured me to do such a thing to anyone. I am not a spy in any regard, and to record meetings or dinners with guests is highly unprofessional and uncouth.

"And what culture would that be?" I sip my wine. He is not Mandalorian from what I can tell. They wear masks that cover their whole heads. I am aware of other species that cover their mouths moreso for the sake of breathing. I know that Mister Doren is not from New Cov. The possibilities are endless when it comes to where his homeworld is located, even if he does spend most of his time onboard ships.

And as I sit there anticipating more attacks on my character, he instead picks up on the obvious. Yes, I am uncomfortable around him. I keep my walls up so that I am not left vulnerable. His previous attacks prove just how low he regards me. I know well enough of animals and even plantlife being able to sense and understand us without verbal cues. Everyone that has strayed outside of the biodomes and into the hot jungles know of this fact.

I take another sip of my wine before speaking up. "I have not been given much reason to like you. Your constant criticism and even underlying threats have deemed it so. It is not very common for those I encounter to behave in such a manner." Nor do I hope to run into anymore. Yet I expect that I shall at some point.

"My own," the man deflected wryly. "Did I not say so?"

Clearly, he had no intention of making it any easier for her. Speaking of.

"I do believe I was quite over with my threats, if one could even call them that. Though I do believe it is you who opened yourself up to hostilities by suggesting you could ostracize me," he pointed out. "You overplayed your hand because you allowed your feelings over my demeanour to colour your opinions of me, yes? You have yet to hear a single offer from me, or what I could bring to the table, and yet you are quite certain that you would rather not have me for a friend," he pointed, offering a slight shrug.

He proceeded to take off his mask then. It didn't feel quite right. Even at home, he often wore it. He had gotten so accostumed to his masks, helmets and rebreathers that a part of him felt wholly naked not wearing one. But still, he did have to eat from time to time, and he wasn't wearing one of his combat suits, which could take care of his needs for a while. Whilst most of his clothes were fine to wear atop the form fitting technology, it didn't quite work when the clothes were adhered to his form too.

He was clean shaven, and had pronounced cheeks, coupled with an undeniably strong jawline. There was a second, smaller scar running horizontally over his nose, as it had been split at some point, and the predominant one ran down his right cheek, cutting off before reaching mouth level. It was hard to tell what had made it. A claw, perhaps, given that it had something of a smaller twin that the mask had been concealing, or perhaps some manner of blade, given the way it travelled its jagged path over his features on its lonesome. His lips were full, even if he seemed intent on keeping them pursed in a thin line. He was handsome, yet not entirely traditionally, his bronzed skin seeming natural rather than the product of tanning, giving him a slightly exotic flare. He folded it in a neat fashion, making sure to leave no creases, before tucking it neatly away on the inside of his jacket.

"You keep talking about criticism like it's a bad thing. I mentioned earlier how you choose to handle it is what matters. Would you rather I played the sycophant like everyone else? That I was conniving about my intentions by showering you with fake smiles? Because in my opinion, that would be disrespectful," he noted. "You are in the big leagues now, Miss Terallo. I am treating you as an equal. An inexperienced equal who could benefit from observing instead of disparaging these little intellectual bouts we have decided to engage in. But an equal all the same," he noted. "Regardless, I did not bring you here to dwell on our business standing. I thought you might genuinely enjoy this," he remarked. "I am unsure why you're here if you hold so much contempt for me."

Of course, he likely had some idea. But it seemed the would-be business mogul had little regard for such notions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom