Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Jedi, a Pilot and a Broken Podracer

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge
"Ah shit,"

Jaxon or his preferred nicknamed: Jax began walking down the spacesport, his hands fiddling on the blueprints. The Grand Prix was only a week away and Jax' Podracer was still a wreck to the point where he feared that it was beyond repair. That was life as a Podracer though, going down the fast track of 500 miles per hour getting so close to the finish only for to have one of your engines explode due to overheating because you pressed on the acceleration button for too long. The last thing you remember is the trying to fiddle with the controls while your cockpit is going round and round like a bowling ball clinging on to the last remaining engine. You realize the the computer has gone to hell and you have to eject and you're sent flying out of the on to the streets nearly crashing onto a wall looking helplessly as the remaining engine slams on the pillar creating a small explosion.

That was Jax during his race on Malastare, he was so close to winning and getting 50,000 credits but he made one stupid mistake in accelerating for a 30 seconds too long. Of course the turbines began to collapse creating a massive fire which quickly spread through his pod. It was only 30 seconds, 30 seconds! How can it catch on fire after such a short time? Well he couldn't get to see what went wrong because Jax's pod was reduced to cinders. Now with the Grand Prix that takes place in Challon within a fortnight and right now Jax was without a racer. Recently he came into contact with a woman who was a pilot of the Galactic Alliance who claimed that she would repair his Podracer in records time. A desperate Jax accepted it without even confirming the veracity of her claims.

Now here is looking around for the woman whom he barely know what he looks like in the spaceport. "Oh for the love of-" the Jedi moved to the woman who looked like the one he met a week ago. "You must be the person who said that you were going to repair my podracer!" he smiled quickly shoving the plans onto face. "Please follow me and look over the damage. We don't have much time!"

Kayla Luspark Kayla Luspark

Kayla Luspark

Genius, Billionairess, Playgirl, Fighter Pilot

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Standard flight suit, heavy blaster pistol, REC-SS01 X-wing Space Superiority Starfighter
Tag: Jax Thio Jax Thio

Kayla stood in a pair of coveralls that were tied around her waist. A gray tank top clung to her form as she dug into the underbelly of an X-wing style starfighter. As the man approached she withdrew one slightly greasy hand from the engine assembly, then the other, coming out with a hydrospanner. This she sat on top of the strike foils and grabbed a shop rag to clean her hands off.

Holding up one hand she waved a finger in his direction. "Oh, no no. I said I could get you some premium parts. I never said I would do the repairs or installs," she countered. She gestured to a nearby tarp that covered a pile of items underneath. "That thing is completely totaled as is. I don't know if it could be fixed in a month." She shook her head. Of course, she hadn't really taken a good peek at the pile yet.

A small astromech behind her blurbled something at her in binary as it wheeled over and pulled some of the tarps back. It gave off a series of notes that didn't sound too certain, before disappearing under the blue tarp into the pile.

Giving an exasperated sigh she shook her head. "That droid is gonna cause me way too much trouble," she muttered. After a moment she threw up her hands. "Let me make a quick call and I'll see if I can make some things happen. And then you might be in luck. Alright?"

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge
"But I thought-" Jax crossed his arms his robes softly hitting his sides. He definitely thought that the woman would not only get the parts but also repair them. He was willing to give her a boatload of credits most of it from the prize winnings he earned from past podraces to do so. The Grand Prix had a 500,000 credit prize to the winner and that would be more than enough for Jax to recoup the losses. "I thought you said you could repair my racer in record's time," he sighed. Perhaps in his desperation he heard differently as his master once told him: "Delusion can be the greatest mind trick of them all."

Jax had to admit, the woman looked cute even if she was covered in grease, he was usually the one to notice a pretty woman which of course led to him flirting with them for a considerable amount of time. Such activities drew the ire of his master and the Jedi Order and though Jax had dated a few women in the past, it didn't last for too long due to his commitments as a Jedi. Still part of Jax wondered the reason why he didn't notice the woman's attractiveness was because he his mind was flooded with what if scenarios about missing one of the biggest paydays of his life as a racer.

"Come on you just got to take a look at it." Jax moaned seeing the woman's Astromech Droid roll to her side. Jax had BB-12 the BB model who while he can be innovative and loyal, is often snarky towards Jax for his rather devil may care attitude towards life. Bleh! What did BB-12 know?! He'd like to him try to wade through blaster fire with nothing more than his lighsaber.

"I also need a partner for the Grand Prix next week!" Jax said borderline begging at this point. The Pit Droids he rented at Malastare malfunctioned and part of him suspected that it was deliberate considering how Podracing had a problem fixing races over the years. "Someone who is as intelligent and efficient as you! Not a damn Pit Droid they're crazy and they definitely don't have your looks. Someone who is just as beautiful as the angels who reside on Moons of Yeago."

Oh boy here we go again.... Jax hadn't dated in years and right now he's going off tangent he has a race to win next week "I mean!" Jax shook his head. "I mean you're beautiful but also brilliant. If you can get my speeder going within a week! I'll pay you a third of the winnings! Come on my droid is looking after the speeder."

Hopefully she can repair it.

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Standard flight suit, heavy blaster pistol, REC-SS01 X-wing Space Superiority Starfighter

Kayla held up a hand to forestall him. "Shhh," she said sharply, but not quite able to keep a small smile off her face as she turned around. She let out a sharp whistle, and the mini-mech droid came rolling out with inquisitive but slightly indignant blat. "Hook into the holonet and contact Luspark headquarters. Tell them it's Kayla on the line."

The droid whistled and hummed to itself while it worked. Reaching up she let down the tight bun her hair was in, and combed her fingers through it quickly, giving it an artfully tousled look. Less military. Her family still didn't approve. A moment later a hologram flickered to life in front of her of a female dressed in a power suit, and even though the slightly hazy scan-lines commanded an air of authority. She had dark hair and high cheekbones, full lips, and a strong jawline but seemed more matronly but no less attractive. But seeing Kayla's face she broke into a smile. "Sweetheart, what's going on? It's been months since you called," she said, her voice was a warm contralto, only adding to her sense of authority.

At that moment Kayla wanted nothing more than to reach out across space-time and hug her mother tight. It had been a while since she'd been home, and even with the business-like look, so many memories came flooding back at once. Chewing one plus lower lip she paused. "I really wish this was a social call," she said.

Her mother's expression dropped a little.

"Hear me out," she protested. "Look, I have someone here who I think we should sponsor. They're a good racer, from all I've been able to research. They've had some trouble with their vehicle, and they've already fronted the cash for the Grand Prix here on Challon. It's a half a million credit pot. All I want to do is get them some parts and get them back in racing shape. If we win I get a third of the winnings, which will more than cover it all, and I can pay it back. Or... the company can write it off as a donation."

The stare that came back through the holonet could have melted durasteel. Kayla did her best not to wither under that look. "What do your commanders say," she asked after a moment. That was a small jab and guilt trip. Her mother didn't give a womp rat's ass what her commanding officers thought.

Kriffing hell. She was trapped. She was on leave and hadn't come home. That would be disappointing for her family. "Well... I've got a few weeks leave, so I was taking a little 'me' time before I came back to Corellia," she said. "But I should be home after this."

"Uh-huh," her mother said, clearly not believing it.

Kayla sighed quietly. "So will you help, or allow me to help, or not," she pressed, bouncing lightly as she stuffed her hands into her back pockets, spreading her elbows wide and puffing out her chest a bit.

More stare.

"Okay fine. You're cleared to use your corporate discretionary account. But they, or you, better make us look good," she said firmly. There was one thing her mother knew, and that was Kayla was a racer at heart, and a damn good pilot. If someone else had talent and she believed in them, then it was for good reason.

"Yes motherrrrrr," she said quietly. "Tell little brother I said 'hi' and that I'll see him soon."

"You better."

"I will."

"You better."

With that, the transmission cut out and she sighed. "Okay, the unpleasant part's over." With that she turned toward Jax, hands still on her hips. Walking over to the pile of parts, she bent down, grabbed the tarps, and gave them a flip into the air, then balled them up in her hands.

Surveying the damage, she sighed. "I'm gonna need a garage worth of tools," she said, then looked to Jax. "You're gonna have to help." Shaking her head, she ran her fingers through her long chocolate brown hair again, pausing with one hand on top of her head.

"Run a diagnostic on the main motors and drive," she told her little companion. "I'm going to start getting a parts list together," she said, the gears in her mind already turning.

It was then that she realized what Jax had been saying, half begging, half fawning over her, and her face turned bright red. Especially as she realized he was staring at her. She tried to play it off, but in truth as she turned away the blush only got worse, mixed with a smile. He was easy on the eyes, but also it had been a while since anyone had shown her some attention. But if they were going to be working in close proximity this could get... awkward, or interesting. Sighing, she turned back to him. "Okay, if you had a wishlist what would it be," she asked, looking up at him. "And no, I'm no angel. I only fly like one, and shoot like a devil."
VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge
Jax smiled when the woman talked to her mother via the holorecording from her droid. He never knew his mother and longed to know what she was like. Was she kind and gentle or was she like this woman's mother: Kind but based on the woman's reaction to her mother an authoritarian. The Jedi's smile grew wider the moment she let her hair down. Somehow she became even more prettier with her hair down some women looked better with short hair others with long but she looked good in both styles. Jax wanted to pipe in and say that he has some friends in the Galactic Alliance that can extend her leave time by exceptionally large amount, but given their conversation which was clearly about a business that they own he would rather keep quiet.

When they stopped talking the woman ordered him to get a garage worth of tools. "Of course," Jax smiled motioning BB-12 to come here. The little droid rolled towards the pair clearly looking like he didn't want to do work. He "accidentally" bumped into the woman's Astromech droid before beeping rapidly at Jax. "Hey get your lazy ass off the charger," Jax said placing his hands on his hips. "We got ourselves a podracing mechanic who's willing to work overtime."

BB-12 beeped loudly jumping up and down like a bouncing ball.

"Yeah she's prettier than you!" Jax said. "And she needs tools!: Lots of it! Get the Slicers so we can recover the computer from the cockpit! Get every scrap she needs!"

BB-12 stared at the woman, shook its head and rolled away as Jax sighed. "Don't mind BB-12," he said. "He is a great Droid to have under fire but he as a personality of his own. The Jedi have the most advanced tools available at your disposal." Jax took out a datapad to give to the woman. "All you need to do is to input the list you need and it'll send to BB-12's receptors telling him what he needs to collect."

The Jedi smirked when he saw her blush yet asked him what was his wishlist. "Well," Jax placed his hands over his head. "Well one: I want to win the Grand Prix and two: I want to use the credits to take you out on a fancy date on Courscant. No need to worry about wasting vacation time because I'm a Jedi Commander who has made some powerful friends within the GA military. I can pull some strings that can extend your vacation time for up to 3 years. I definitely want to get to know you better. The woman who's going to save my ass deserves to be spoiled. The face of an angel yet the piloting skill of the devil."

Jax continued to press on wondering how receptive she'll be to him. "Third on my list," he said. "Is make sure that you enjoy a man that is handsome and talented as me." he winked. "You look better with your hair by the way. The name is Jaxon Thio but my friends call me Jax and of course: I'm a Jedi Knight for the Galactic Alliance."

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

She watched BB-12 as it rolled around, bumping into her own astromech. Her brows lowered and she scowled but said nothing for now. As Jax approached and went on about how he'd get the best tools they could ask for she shrugged. "I just need a good set of spanners, a laser or plasma cutter, some welders, Diagnostic kit." She went to listing off the stuff she would need almost immediately.​
When he started going on about his wishlist, she realized she'd made a mistake and not specific enough. Deciding to humor him, she rolled her hand in a 'keep going' fashion until he'd finished at least number three. When he complimented her hair being down, that did raw out a small blush. in her mind, it was one of her best features, and she'd worked hard to keep it that way, though military life wasn't so conducive to it. Physical training and a high protein diet had toned her up and given her the muscle to work on the machines in her squadron, as well as fly them. It got her plenty of looks too, well... more than before. One of the little advantages of some minor genetic enhancement her family liked to make use of back on Corellia.​
She extended one hand to take his. "Lieutenant Kayla Luspark. Red Five of Red Squadron. I'm in charge of second flight. My friends call me Kayla or Kay." Her grip was strong, firm, with a quick shake, though she held on for just a moment or two longer, just long enough for him to get a sense of the softness of her skin, even with a few callouses left over from a wrench. The girl was no stranger to hard work but also liked to take care of herself. "So tell me, Jax, when was the last time you got laid," she asked, studying his face like a career sabaac player. At the same time, if he paid attention through the Force, the sense would come that she was not propositioning him, but asking a pointed question.​

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge
Lieutenant Kayla Luspark's handshake was strong and firm fitting for a career military woman yet there beneath the callouses of hand lay a soft and smoothness to her skin. To Jax it probably indicated that even though she was an ace pilot, she was also a woman and wanted to remind people as such. The fact that Kayla enjoys bringing her hair down should indicate as much. "You can always tell who a person is from their handshake," Jax said as Kayla released her grip from his, "You're a career military pilot who loves to tinker with any vehicle or ship that you can get your hands on. Yet beneath it all, you're a woman who loves to look pretty every now and then."

Then Kayla asked a question which nearly threw Jax off guard: Had he been laid before? Analyzing Kayla's features, it seemed that Kayla wasn't flirting with Jax at in contrast to his blatant flirtations but rather was just asking a question as though this was a job interview. "That's a personal question," Jax said his voice now hollow and less alluring. "To tell you truth though, I've never got past the first date with the people I went out with. As a Jedi, you're called all around the galaxy so of course I had stand some people off. It's been years since I last dated and all these words I haven't your question: No I have never gotten laid."

His pride stung a little given that he's 30 years old and didn't even get laid. Jedi weren't about that life sadly, the code discourages it and it's said that love is the easiest path to the dark side something that Jax found ridiculous. Stripping a person from their needs and desires in life was rather foolish, In fact Jax often argued that it was necessary to love, to understand where you're from in the galaxy so you can have a deeper appreciation of who you're fighting for. Of course this led to rumors of Jax sleeping with prostitutes or other Jedi but aside from a few temptations Jax focused more on battles and peace mediations while fighting off nightmares of past battles and peace mediations.

BB-12 returned pulling a cart of the best Spanners, Plasma Cutters, Welders and a Diagnostic Kit with the most advanced A.I. His barrage of beeping indicated he was probably missing a show. "Get over it cheeseball," Jax rolled his eyes staring at the clearly agitated Droid. "You know can watch Bobo anytime, you can record his shows!"

The Droid continued to beep furiously causing Jax to sigh. "What the hell do you want with margarita's?" he said raising an eyebrow. "You can't drink them! Get your ass up and help Kayla and I repair the racer, we're behind schedule as it is! I need to get the computer up and running so we can install it in the cockpit. At least that was preserved during the crash."

Jax shook his head and stared at Kayla. "My Droid," he said. "The problem with him is that he thinks he's human, shall we get started?"

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment:Standard flight suit, heavy blaster pistol, REC-SS01 X-wing Space Superiority Starfighter

"You're a career military pilot who loves to tinker with any vehicle or ship that you can get your hands on. Yet beneath it all, you're a woman who loves to look pretty every now and then."​
Kayla blushed involuntarily at this. It only took a moment but he'd hit the nail on the head. She broke into a smile and turned slightly away then back toward him. "Well, I joined the Defense Force to fly, not look like a Mandalorian beet farmer's wife," she said, then shrugged. "A girl likes to feel pretty now and again, even if it's only for herself. But I put my hair down, to look more 'off-duty' to my mom. She seems strict, but..." She checked her chrono, "It's the middle of her workday, and my parents weren't happy about their little girl joining the starfighter corps. But it's my life, and I'm not ready to come back home and take my place in the company yet."​
Then Kayla asked a question which nearly threw Jax off guard: Had he been laid before? Analyzing Kayla's features, it seemed that Kayla wasn't flirting with Jax in contrast to his blatant flirtations but rather was just asking a question as though this was a job interview. "That's a personal question," Jax said his voice now hollow and less alluring. "To tell you truth though, I've never got past the first date with the people I went out with. As a Jedi, you're called all around the galaxy so of course, I had to stand some people off. It's been years since I last dated and all these words I haven't your question: No I have never gotten laid."​
She saw how her question affected him wounded his pride. He seemed rather crestfallen and immediately felt completely rotten. As he confessed he'd never actually been with anyone she gave a slow, single nod with a soft "Ah." For a moment awkward silence hung between them before she stepped closer, just long enough to place one hand on his arm, breaking the touch barrier further. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit a nerve like that. But now I understand a lot more," she said softly. Biting her lower lip, she considered for a moment, then gave him a quick kiss on the cheek by way of apology. "And I understand. Military life is kind of the same. Though, there's been a few moments since joining I've gotten to have a little fun." She shrugged. then gave his chest a pat. "Let's focus on work, for now, see where we're at. And if you really want, you can buy me dinner this evening. At least while we're on break. I don't know how long we're gonna be able to work today but--" it was then that BB-12 returned with the cart full of mechanics tools.​
Watching the two bicker back and forth she shook her head, a wide and bright smile lighting up her face. "Oh, does he now? This is going to be interesting. My little buddy over there, I haven't named yet. Doesn't even have a personality, But I'm told that comes around pretty quick, especially if they miss a few regularly scheduled wipes." Turning toward the cart, she looked at the pile then turned back to Jax, giving him her best, sweet smile. "Help me unload, will ya?"​

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge
Jax didn't blame Kayla for asking him that question, it was more of a reflection of where he was in life if anything. Still the fact that he placed her hand on his chest gave him some hope that even after all the chaos if Jax can somehow pull of a one in a million chance of getting this Podracer repaired and ready for the race next week, he's going to take Kayla out to the best, most expensive restaurant in Courscant and splurge as much credits as they can. He'll even take BB-12 with him and knowing that Droid, he'll probably eat up 95 percent of the winnings just by swimming in the alcohol. He did wonder though why BB-12 was attracted to food if he doesn't have the need to eat? He's a BB series astromech droid for crying out loud! Then again, there were times where he saw BB-12 consume 12 whole slices of Corellian Pepperoni Pizza through the little tube in the middle of its circular body. Where that food is going is anybody's guess.

"Don't apologize," Jax gave Kayla a nervous chuckle. "I probably deserve that blunt question for hitting on you too hard. It is difficult to maintain relationships as a Jedi," he said. "Mainly because you're always on duty and if you're not on duty you're supposed to meditating. The code discourages love and dating all that stuff that makes us people. Something I've disagreed with, you love your family Kayla and you probably fight for them whenever you take to the skies. Why can't the Jedi do the same you know?"

If there was one thing that Jax detected was that he and Kayla liked to unwind every now and then and just have fun. It was a good thing to escape his nightmares about the battles he has been through. "But yeah business first," Jax said staring at BB-12. "Yeah BB-12 business so let's get to work so you can back to watching Droid Fights which will air at 7 o clock. You don't want grumble too much where nothing gets done now do ya?"

BB-12 immediately whirled towards the cockpit of the Podracer and jumped on inside it, plugging into the main computer and beginning to run a diagnostic. "I'll buy you that dinner tonight be sure to dress nice," Jax chuckled waving his hand and having all the repair items float from the cart to lay neatly at Kayla's feet. "I want to thank you for helping me out on such short notice, not many folks are willing to assist me on a frivolous thing like Podracing. You're the first." The young man chuckled taking a plasma cutter. "For now we can do a diagnostic on the engines." he said. "My first priority is to make sure this computer is up and running. Gonna need it to calculate my speed and damage to my engines."

And with that Jax turned around towards the beat up Cockpit to assist BB-12 with splicing the computer.

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Mechanic's toolkit, flightsuit, civilian clothes, heavy blaster pistol​
Companion: "Vido" V-2 series astromech
Kayla listened, nodding occasionally. As he pointed out the love she had for her family, he was right. She'd fight tooth and nail, with everything she had to protect her little brother or her parents. Just as she knew they would do the same for her. Convincing them to allow her to enter military service had been a hell of a fight. Her folks were understandably worried she'd get shot down or worse, wind up in the hands of some nasty customers. But eventually, they'd relented when she pointed out the strong military tradition and history of their people. And that it was entirely her choice. She only asked for their blessing. They tried not to admit it, but she knew they were secretly extremely proud. Word had gotten back to her on more than one occasion how much they gushed over their fighter pilot daughter. When she'd found out, she'd been quite floored. But it kept her going and had renewed her courage, her drive, on the really tough days. Their pride and approval were like water for someone dying of thirst. But that was not why she flew. That was for herself.

Idly she wiped at the corner of one eye and cleared her throat. "Vido," she called as she turned toward the mini-mech. "Let's inspect these engines," she said, then cleared her throat. The astromech wheeled over rather sharply and went to laser scanning the machines resting on the ground. The first order of business, get the power systems routed with power, and check on the repulsors. Vido, the name she'd just assigned her little buddy, would have to calibrate the lifts on the fly, but a droid brain was up to the task better than a human.

Making her way closer to Jax she cleared her throat once more. "I don't think you've got the whole story," she said interrupting him but gently. "You should look into the story of the Skywalkers. It ties in with Corellian history, so I know some of it. But Luke Skywalker was married to another Jedi by the name of Mara Jade, and both were very powerful Masters. Or so the legends say." She shrugged. "I've heard other Jedi married in the past. So... maybe look into it further. Maybe the group you came up with is only one sect, and others may have a different view. But... Ultimately, you are your own person." She looked up at him, catching his gaze with her emerald eyes, doing her best to keep his attention fixed, as though to impress upon him the seriousness of her words "Never let anyone dictate to you the terms of how you live. Without life, without love, breath is just a clock ticking down the time until your death."

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

Equipment: Jax's Lightsaber
BB-12 was once beeping furiously obviously not happy that he's been pulled out from watching his Holoshows. Jax could hear small yet fast whirrings coming from his droid's wire as he plugged himself into the Podracer's computer. A smile formed on his face as the Jedi remembered the first time he acquired the BB unit. Jax was 16 years old when his master gave BB-12 to him for his birthday, he remembered hugging her tight squealing in delight watching the little droid beeping happily at Jax rolling around his legs. When he was a child Jax always wanted a droid companion, he's heard stories of Anakin Skywalker and his trusty Droid: R2-D2 during The Clone Wars. Jax wanted to get one himself and emulate the adventures of Anakin and R2, alas reality came knocking on Jax's door, slapping the Jedi upside his head as soon as he opened it.​
Once a upon Jax was a bright eyed albeit mischievous Jedi who loved to flirt with pretty ladies and BB-12 was an excitable little Droid who loved to tinker with starfighters. Now Jax was more or less a psychological mess who's seen his fair share of combat and is considered a Jedi Maverick borderline Pariah by the Order who bends the rules to get the job done more matter what. Who masks his fear and pain with alcohol, partying and taking on any mission the Jedi has to offer and BB-12 has devolved into a lazy, gluttonous smartass who keeps using his credit card to buy junk food and multiple Holonet channels and vegetates on Jax's couch watching TV all day. Life really needs to be more lighter sometimes.​
Jax leaned against dented cockpit watching BB-12 reboot the computer. "How is it?" Jax asked as BB-12 beeped frantically. "That bad huh?" he said. "Well see if you can try to bypass the broken code, the A.I has gotta be-"​
Just then Jax was interrupted by Kayla who told him about the stories of the Jedi who married through the years. Jax was aware of them from Anakin to Luke and Leia to Corran Horn. They were used by the Jedi Order as positive examples yes, but ultimately there were a flood of examples that ended with many turning to the dark side just to help their lovers. Jax loved to flirt but never fell in love himself, he had his duties as a Jedi and besides who would want to take on his slothful droid and himself anyway? Jax always liked to be in control of his destiny anyway despite the fact that there were prophecy writers in the Jedi Order who were gifted with foresight. The future is always in motion, changing why remain rigid? Your fate is in your hands.​
"Here's the thing Kayla," Jax said staring into Kayla's emerald eyes, they were shimmering with determination and care. "I've chosen my path but sometimes even with the force I don't know where to go. I've never fallen in love despite my flirtations and each battle I've been in just causes pain. Yet I keep moving forward because I love Alliance, despite my tense relationship with them, I love the Order. Yet they are only concepts broad and impersonal. Don't have many people in my life, the one person in my life died years ago and you're the first in years to actually display care for me."​

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Mechanic's toolkit, flightsuit, civilian clothes, heavy blaster pistol​

She listened quietly, looking up at him then took a half step back. "That sounds terribly lonely," she murmured. It was all she could think of that came to mind at first. She could see, almost feel the echoes of loss and pain. She'd lost friends along the way, but none that were as close to her as family. At least she had that, and it seemed he didn't.

After a moment she sighed. "Love comes on its own. But what I really mean is connection. And it seems like you either run off or push people away before that can happen," she said, stepping back and then moving past him to head back to the junk pile There would be more time to talk as they worked on things. However, she didn't want to leave him hanging at that moment so she had sought to stop him.

Vido whistled-chirped an interrogative at her. "Not now," she said quietly. "What's the good word?" The answer was optimistic, but then the droid began a long burst of information about its findings. "Alright, alright, slow down. Let's focus on repulsors and the powerplant first. then we'll check out fuel and control. Alright?"

The droid gave an almost 'suit yourself' series of tones and wheeled off to its next task. Kayla turned to look back at Jax for a moment, while slowly going to put her hair back up and out of her way. She didn't need extra grease in it.

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

Equipment: Jedi Robes, Jax's Lightsaber
Love is something the Jedi Order doesn't teach that well, it has been allowed amongst people but wasn't encouraged and was even frowned upon due to the possible distractions it'll cause a Jedi. Through out the years, Jax had seen many older Jedi join the order while they were married and it didn't seem to bother them though he did hear rumors of some falling to the dark side due to a loss of their loved ones. Forming connections was something Jax wasn't all that good at admittedly. Partially because he tended to distance himself from people recently, the nightmares from had resurfaced again and it made him a bit uneasy among people.​
"My master was the closest person I had to a mother," Jax stated simply as Kayla returned to her Droid. "I have no family." Sighing and turning back to BB-12 who still was rebooting the computer. "How we doing?" he said leaning against the cockpit. BB-12 responded with an assortment of aggressive whirrs and whistles which indicated to Jax that it was taking longer than expected.​
"Oh come on," Jax chuckled. "You mean to tell me that I've spent a small fortune upgrading your AI hacking and you can't get a simple reboot done?"​
The computer went blank and then a blue screen appeared, rapid beeps were heard as lines of code began to fill the screen. YOU DIDN'T SAY THE MAGIC WORD it said. "Oh shit," Jax immediately went inside the cockpit sitting next to the befuddled BB-12. "Don't tell me," the Jedi began typing on the mini keyboard feeling a slight disturbance in the force. Part of it him didn't want to believe it. "Access the security grid," Jax muttered desperation mounting in his voice.​
Then the screen went blank for a brief moment only to come back on again with a fatman wearing white clothing:​
"You gotta be getting me," Jax said leaning back against the leather chair. "My Podracer it was hacked."​
Suddenly things began to get a lot clearer.​

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment:Mechanic's toolkit, flightsuit, civilian clothes, heavy blaster pistol​
Kayla tilted her head. "I can't imagine what it would be like to not have a family," she said. Many people didn't and she counted herself lucky. "But aren't the Jedi kind of family. I know I consider some of my squadron as my brothers and sisters. A family who I would fight and die beside any day."

As the droid and Jedi worked on the pod racer she shook her head again. "You don't need artificial intelligence to fly one of these. Nor my X-wing. Sure it's nice having onboard A.I. But it's not necessary. An idiot system will do fine. Flight is as much about what you see and feel as it is about anything else. A basic flight computer helps. Makes things a little safer, but in truth, it's just a tool. You do the work," she said.

"You ever fly an ultralight, or a glider," she asked. In truth, she was starting to question his ability as a pilot if he was relying on a computer so much. "Look, we can wipe the computer and flash a flight control system into it, no problem. The stuff we need to worry about is mechanical and electrical." She jerked a thumb back toward the parts heap.

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

BB-12 began beep furiously at the computer already thinking what Jax was thinking, someone sabotaged his Podracer. "No Kayla," Jax said still frowning at the fat man wagging his finger at him. "This is a simple A.I which assesses the the health of my Podracer," I mostly rely on my Jedi like reflexes for the race but the computer tells specifically where certain parts are damaged that way I can make a pitstop and tell my crew exactly where to fix it."​
The Jedi nodded at BB-12, "somebody hacked into my Podracer," he said grimly. "Probably fed misinformation regarding my Pod."​
Jax looked at Kayla already sensing her doubt regarding his flight abilities. "I sense that you're questioning my flight capabilities." he said sighing. "I've flown those before but the point is someone was trying to mess with me and I have a feeling it wasn't just the computer but also the engines as well."​
BB-12 began spinning his head trying to think of the people who wanted to kill Jax that was a long list. "BB-12 wipe the computer," he ordered his rotund companion. "But before you do, look for some patterns behind the hack and send what you find to me. Hackers like him love to leave their mark the same way mad bomber would leave their imprint on their explosives."​
Jax turned to Kayla and walked towards the engines. "I'll look into the engines." he said. "Going to look for some irregularities as well. If that person sabotaged my computer, they also sabotaged my engine as well."​

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Mechanic's toolkit, flightsuit, civilian clothes, heavy blaster pistol. REC SS01 X-wing Space Superiority Starfighter

Kayla watched him for a few moments then tossed up her hands. "Alright, suit yourself. Let me know when you're done looking it over. And you still need to get me a parts list that you want. Daylight is burning and we only have a week. There's only four of us to get it done," she reminded him.

It wasn't hard to sense the frustration rolling through her. In the meantime, she made her way back over to the REC SS01 X-wing she'd been assigned. She could afford better but had wound up purchasing the starfighter. It was hers, but the military maintained it most of the time and did a fantastic job. They paid for the munitions as well, especially while she was putting rounds on target for them. She could have bought it herself, including all the needed licensing, but being GA military covered all of that. The biggest benefit was that it allowed the fighter to serve as her personal vehicle if she wished. And she didn't have to share a fighter with others in her unit.

Moving to the underbelly, she opened up the storage compartment and quickly pulled out a duraplast container which she turned into an impromptu seat. Vido made his way over and made an interrogative noise that sounded concerned. "I'm alright. Waiting for him to get his scrapheap together," she murmured to the droid. It turned around to rest just to her left. Its head portion swiveled to look at her, then look back at Jax, then back to her. "What," she demanded. The droid turned its head away sharply as if to say nothing, or it had been caught staring.

Pulling out a pocket knife, she went to cleaning her greasy nails. Even though it would do her no good. They'd be caked up again soon. But the feeling at least was bugging her. That, she could do something about.

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

It didn't take a force sensitive to know that Kayla was frustrated with Jax's squabble, he was proud of his piloting skills and the fact that he won many Podraces across the Core Worlds. Jax hated it whenever someone questioned his credentials, he damn sure didn't question Kayla's talent as a pilot who was she to judge? Just then, the words of old master: Oda Marsen spoke through him: "A person who is flawed would often use pride to mask them." She would say. "Pride is what prevents a person from improving only a foolish one would say that they no longer need any help."​
BB-12 whirled his staring at Jax leaning against the cockpit (don't tell me you feel like Bantha droppings.) It beeped. (You know that Kayla is taking time off to help your reckless self.). "I know," Jax grumbled staring at Kayla conversing with her droid. "I just get a little antsy whenever I get challenged with my skills."​
(I mean,) BB-12 began to download the necessary data from the virus and began a screenwipe on the computer. (I sacrificed my precious time from watching Find Miss Daisy to help my best friend repair his Podracer a week before the Grand Prix. You're so prideful and selfish Jax, to think I was having my day off eating nachos and watching the Holonet.)​
"You do that everyday," Jax grumbled smacking the droid on the head. "Where were you handling those squabbling Pit Droids in the last race? You were too busy ordering Hot Dogs and shoving down your robotic body."​
The Jedi then sighed "speaking of which," he said. "Why the frack does a Droid even have a need to eat?!"​
(I've downloaded the hack,) BB-12 beeped. (I'll look for any patterns and get back to you. The computer should boot up in half in hour.)​
"Okay," Jax took the holopad that was under the seat. "I'll make a list of what we need, I already made an assessment over the parts and will relay it to Kayla."​
(Very well.) BB-12 said. (I'll get to decrypting this hack shouldn't take long.)​
After scribbling down the parts he needed, Jax slowly made his way to Kayla who was cleaning her nails. "Looks like the mechanic is trying to make her self look good." he smiled. "Gotta attract all those pesky broken accelerator drives," shaking his head at that awkward flirt Jax handed Kayla the list and sighed. "I'm sorry for being a little snippy," he said. "I let my pride get in the way of business, when you left the words of my master: Oda Marson echoed in my mind about being prideful and how it was way to mask weakness. I'm a good Podracer but I'm not a perfect one otherwise I wouldn't have come to you begging for a last minute build before a major event. I'm sorry for being an idiot and angering you Kayla, you're one of the few people who actually took time not only to help but understand me and I shouldn't act like a fool."​

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Equipment: Mechanic's toolkit, flightsuit, civilian clothes, heavy blaster pistol. REC SS01 X-wing Space Superiority Starfighter

Kayla looked up as Jax approached. The comment about trying to make herself look good drew out a blush. Her face burned a bit but she otherwise played it cool while folding the tool up. "Nah, I just hate crap under my nails when I'm not actually doing the work," she muttered. He was right though. She did like to keep up being presentable. It was something her parents drilled into her. Appearance and presentation meant a lot. And for a family that made their fortune from marketing, selling some very expensive military and civilian toys, they certainly knew something about that. There was nothing wrong with trying to maintain her looks, though she would never call herself vain.

She accepted the list, looking it over while listening as he apologized. "I'm not angry," she murmured, "so much as frustrated. I want to get this done or at least get some measurable, visible progress. We've got a hell of a time crunch and I feel like we're wasting time. I'm getting paid either way. But I want to see you win. Or... I'll fly the race. Either way. Winning is winning. Dilly-dallying isn't doing it."

Her words had a harsh edge or could be taken that way, but she finished the list and gave him a gentle smile, reaching out to rest one hand on his shoulder, just for a moment. "It's alright. Everybody turns into an idiot now and again. Especially when under stress," she said with a single pat, before dropping her hand.

Holding up the list she combined it with the parts list she'd already figured out. "Alright, this is going to be fun," she said and fished out a datapad. She scanned the paper and then digitized the writing, then accessed the company site, found a local dealer, and quickly entered the versions made by Luspark Industries. The best she could find they had on hand, and added her own wants and touches to the list. Then she placed the order for rush delivery, entered her corporate information. Then she fished out her comlink, calling the local office. Within a few minutes she had them scrambling to bring everything as fast as they could. Was there anything else she needed? - Yes, help unloading. Anybody who wanted to help would get track-side seats, or VIP tickets.

After that she put the com away. "And now, we wait. Or not. Let's get space to unload. Vido and BB can start tearing down the engine if you're satisfied with the inspection," she suggested.

VB0MQiD.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

Equipment: Jedi Robes, BB-12 Jax's Lightsaber
Jax didn't need the force to realize that Kayla was flattered by his compliment, a small smirk formed on his face when she tried to explain that she only was trying to be hygienic. Never mind the fact that they were going at least start with a skeleton build of the racer. "No need to lie," Jax winked. "Those accelerator drivers are pretty at masking their emotions or perhaps they're just in awe of the sculpted figure known as Kayla."​
<Stop with the damn pick up lines!> BB-12 whirred finishing his diagnosis. <They sound worse than the ones on a cheap daytime soap opera.>​
"Except I'm dripping with charm BB-12," Jax said crossing his arms. "Get that diagnosis done ASAP we got of work to do."​
<I'm running it through my internal system.> BB-12 beeped. <Estimated will be 24 hours, there's a lot of junk in here. Definitely a DDOS attack.>​
"Poodoo....." Jax muttered. To think all it took to hijack a Podracing computer system was just flood it with useless data, he needed to update it soon otherwise, it'll be vulnerable to another attack. Hopefully Kayla knows a thing or two about good anti-virus software. Jax paused the moment Kayla placed her hand on her shoulder and gave it a brief pat. His heart flutter for a brief moment as he told himself that it was only a reassuring pat force knows that Kayla probably did some stupid things in the heat of battle. Jax did as well and it cost him Master: Oda.​
"I'm surprised," Jax said to Kayla. "That you're just as eager as me to get this done. That's something I appreciate Kayla even if you are doing this for the credits. I thank you."​
As soon as Kayla finishing making the necessary purchases for the Podracing parts, Jax nodded. "No need let me make some space." Closing his eyes, Jax raised his hands and moved the unnecessary debris out of the way making a large amount of space for the two to work on it. "There," the Jedi smiled opening his eyes. "By the time your people arrive it'll smooth sailing."​
<Hopefully they can get here quick.> BB-12 moaned. <The Great Houndee is coming on tonight. I wanna see what's his latest magic trick."​
"Whatever it is," Jax said giving his droid a friendly kick. "It ain't nothing compared to the power of the force."​

Kayla Luspark

al7AMq.jpg

Companion: "Vido" V-2 Series "Minimech" Astromech

Kayla shook her head listening to Jax and BB bicker back and forth. AS BB told Jax to knock off the pickup lines Kayla gave the droid an appreciative look. then Jax raised his hand and parted the junk like it was the Dune Sea. That... was unexpected, and made her heart pound in her chest as she backpedaled a little. That chit was entirely unnatural and how did he do that?

Watching the Jedi warily now, she frowned, reviewing the conversation. She looked between them. "Wait... You're running wireless access to the ... No wonder you got sliced. You were begging for it." She tossed the spanner she'd picked up, flipping it end over end for one full rotation before catching it once more. The only way the racer would be vulnerable to a denial of service attack would be that it was open to it in the first place. "Let me guess, you let a retail service center try to service and 'upgrade' your operating system for this and you took it."

Those were traps for the technically inept and were halfway a scam as it was. Pinching the bridge of her nose for a moment she hopped off the crate she sat on. "Okay, we can flash you a new control system and interface. Still keep the wireless but for diagnostics only and protect it with fractal encryption that BB can access so he can monitor, but that's it. Only actual access would have to be hard access. Physical. Plugging into it directly."

From there she got Vido's attention and working with the four of them went to work, rebuilding Jax's interface with a few quality of life improvements. Vido compiled the code while BB analyzed the attack data. By the time the final approval for the operating system was being asked about the parts delivery came in along with two labor droids to unload.

The lieutenant seemed to be in her element as she took charge, directing them where to drop things off and put things, and went to opening boxes quickly, inspecting the parts and manifest. The young woman was brutally efficient as she wasted hardly a second. In short order, everything on the truck was in the bay and the workshop area that she'd set up with the help of all involved.

Soon after, Vido had cleaned out the engine engines with cleaning solutions meant to get rid of grime, dust, char, and more. The fuel lines were flushed and checked. Pumps, tanks. Kayla was deep in assembly for some of the parts and having Jax or BB assist. After four hours, the racer didn't look like such a mess, though it was in pieces.

Kayla wiped at her hands with a greasy shop rag, cleaning off some of the grime and filth as she sat with a bottle of water, taking a break. The sun had gone down, but the bay floodlights lit everything up nicely. It was a long day, and they'd made progress judging by the discarded parts pile near her. "Still wanna buy me dinner? I'm to tired to go anywhere fancy. Just something delivered would be alright."

VB0MQiD.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom