Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private A Call from on High

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The door to Alisteri's room slid open and he quickly entered in before it closed on him. A deep sigh left him as he leaned against the door and closed his eyes as the room's dim lights flickered to life. It had been a long day on the Altorius to say the least. Max starting another small fight with some of the other children, several maintenance problems, and a small mishap with an asteroid that they had been attached to for most of the day. Note to self, check asteroids for giant space worms living in them before we land next time.

His quarters were in their usual state of semi-cleanness, as he liked it, but he instantly noticed something out of place. His holocron wasn't glowing and offering snide comments like it usually did when he entered, but instead his holo-communicator sat right next to it was blinking instead. Someone was calling him. Alisteri could probably count the amount of people that knew how to contact him through said device on one hand, so it immediately had his attention.

Perhaps my master is in need of something? Another test she wants me to do maybe? His master was the only one that ever called him on a somewhat regular basis anymore. 'Regular' being used extremely loosely of course. The masked man strode over to the desk the device sat upon with little delay and scooped it up, taking a moment to straighten out his hood before clicking the activation button. "Alisteri Haxim here."

Darth Carnifex Darth Carnifex

The image that materialized in front of Alisteri was not that of his master, that much would have been apparent immediately. The figure did not cloak themselves in shadow, their face was clear and visible through the holographic distortion. One could have described it as handsome, if it weren't for the molten eyes that glowered beneath a furrow brow. Black and gray hair fell wildly around broad shoulders, though no single strand of hair strayed in front of the figure's face. His lips pursed briefly before He spoke, the voice that passed from His lips full of power; one that Alisteri would have been more than familiar with.

"Alisteri Haxim," spoke the man, "A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance." The figure was, in fact, Darth Carnifex, the former Emperor of the now defunct Sith Empire. For many long years, that same visage that now stared Alisteri in the face would have been omnipresent across the vast territories of the Empire. Now, those idols have been cast down and destroyed, what remained cherished by those faithful few who dared not profess their devotion in sight of others. The iconoclasm that had torn through the Tingel Arm, enforced by the New Imperial Order and the Ashlan Crusade, had shorn any visible remnant of Carnifex-worship from those worlds.

But here He was, wreathed in the ghastly blue light of holoprojection. He raised a hand before Alisteri could do anything to sever the connection, "Allow me to speak." He lowered it then, watching Alisteri carefully before continuing. "I have been watching you for some time, Alisteri, as I have been watching all children of the Empire. I have seen your endurance and tenacity in the face of insurmountable struggle. It pleases me greatly that you have tended to so many of our flock, imparting upon them the truth of the Sith."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
His blood ran cold and his eyes widened as he recognized just who he was staring at. Alisteri had only ever seen Darth Carnifex in the flesh once before, at the meeting of Sith hosted by the Worm, but he knew the face and the legend behind it well enough. From the monolithic statues that had littered the Sith Empire's worlds to the scars on dozens of planets, Darth Carnifex had made himself known to the galaxy. Making the already dangerous situation worse, said living legend knew his name. His name. The Acolyte's demeanor, even in the limited medium of the holo-image, visibly tensed like a prey sighting its predator.

The Sith Lord asked for a chance to speak, as if Alisteri could find words or make any part of his body at the moment, and he offered a small nod of acknowledgement to show that he was listening. It was about the only action he could manage that he trusted wouldn't set off the other Sith. His eyes narrowed as he was seemingly being praised rather than threatened for his work in keeping his cult alive. Alive and away from the influence of other Sith of course, just in case.

"I have taken care of my own yes." He finally found the will to speak back, doing his best to keep his tone even and monotone. "How do you know of myself and those within my care? What have I done to catch the eye of Darth Carnifex himself?"

"You've survived."

The answer was simple, blunt. The tone in which it was delivered was the same as when one inquired about a planet's weather patterns, indifferent and without opinion. It was because that Alisteri had survived that the Dark Lord had known of him, and was now speaking directly to him. This train of thought would inevitably lead to questions regarding the true extent of the Dark Lord's influence, just how deeply His agents were embedded across the galaxy. How many of Alisteri's own flock served a higher master?

"After the Empire fell, I kept close watch of all those who persevered despite the mounting adversity. Of all these splinter cults and hidden covens, yours has intrigued me the most. Your vision for the Sith is pure, uncorrupted by false ambition and self-righteousness. I would see such devotion kindled." There was no feasible method to discern if the Dark Lord was speaking genuinely or not, His mannerisms were wholly detached from emotion and delivered in a level monotone voice. But it certainly seemed as though He meant what He said.

He raised His right hand and waved it slowly. Immediately, a specific set of coordinates would be uploaded to the Altorius' navi-systems, leading to an uncharted section of space completely unoccupied by any known planetary system. "I invite you and your flock to Malsheem. Too long have they ventured between the stars with only their faith to keep them moving, and it is time to see their faith rewarded." Though the Dark Lord had given Alisteri these coordinates, He left it up to him to decide whether to act on it. He would not force Alisteri's hand, He would allow him to make his own destiny.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The answer made him raise an eyebrow and cock his head slightly to the right in confusion. Again he had been expecting something more sinister and grand, such as Alisteri having stumbled upon some forbidden knowledge or something of that nature. Simply surviving hadn't been an easy task of course but he didn't see it as worthy of getting the attention of a Sith Lord. Especially not one like Darth Carnifex. Exactly how information of his and his cult's survival had spread around to any other Sith at all was another matter entirely, and one that he wouldn't solve today.

He blinked in response to the apparent interest he had garnered, unable to tell sarcasm from truth. If somehow any of his teaching had gotten out and reached the ears of almost any of the Sith Lords then he doubted they would be pleased about them. A fair bit of his sermons had went almost directly against what he had seen from the mighty Lords of the Sith Empire after all. Where others had declared themselves mighty, he had told his cult that their selfish power grabs made not only them but all Sith weak as well.

While he had never named anyone directly in said sermons, especially back when the Sith Empire still stood, it would be a lie to say that Darth Carnifex wasn't among the implied ones that he often used as examples of said weakness in the Sith.

"Malsheem? Where is-" Alisteri paused as the intercom in his room suddenly crackled to life. :"High Priest, we've just received an odd set of coordinates. They were transmitted right through into the system. There wasn't any alert for a communication at all, like we were just bypassed and left with them.": The masked man looked from the intercom back to the projection of Darth Carnifex, seeming to think in silence for a moment. "Set course for wherever these coordinates lead, post haste." Another moment before the intercom replied. :"Charting a course now, we will be entering hyperspace in two minutes.":

"I await your arrival, Alisteri Haxim."

Then Carnifex's visage dissolved into sparkling light, the connection severed. Alisteri was left alone in his cabin, darkness rushing in where there was once light. The coordinates had been input into the navicomputer, and now the Altorius turned and leapt into hyperspace. Swirling cerulean kaleidoscopes encapsulated the vessel as it traveled through the hyper-dimension, crossing the vast gulf of space in a fraction of the time it would have taken with sublight engines. Into the darkness they rushed, removing themselves from all civilized space until they were well and truly disconnected from the wider galaxy.

When they emerged from hyperspace, all thta would greet them was empty space. Darkness stretched in every direction, the only light provided by the distant pinpricks of far-flung stars. Some of those stars were moving, passing in front of others and engulfing them in blackness. As the great moving mass neared, it was evident that those lights were not given by the stars, but by the innumerable luminous nodes of a massive space station. Larger than anything built in the galaxy for many centuries, the vast expanse rose up to meet the smaller ship as it exited from hyperspace.

Great metal doors slowly opened, bright light flooding out to bathe the smaller ship. By momentum, the Altorius approached the opening, which revealed itself to be a wide, spacious hangar bay; large enough to fit more than three of the Altorius side-by-side. A small contingent of attendees waited on the hangar floor for the ship to land, each of them swaddled in dark gray cloaks cinched with golden ribbon and tassel. At their head, was none other than Darth Carnifex. The former Emperor of the Sith stood as tall as He had ever been, dressed in simple Sith vestments with hood drawn back so that all may gaze upon His fierce and grim countenance.

He raised a single hand in salutations, His booming voice carrying across the hangar with ease. "Welcome, faithful sons and daughters, to Malsheem."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Alisteri sighed in relief as the communication was ended, his shoulders sagging slightly as the tension left them for the moment. Unfortunately, this was far from over. "So after all this time of running and trying to keep away from other Sith, you're just going to hand everyone over like this?" He admittedly had been expecting the question, and it was a very valid one, but he hesitated to answer it. The ship's captain, Skep Klar, glared daggers into the Acolyte's back as they both stood on the bridge and waited for the ship to exit hyperspace. "And to Carnifex of all people!" Alisteri grit his teeth and finally turned around to look at the Zygerrian, the crew sensing a noticeable drop in the room's temperature. "You speak as if I have any choice in this matter. Like or not, as I certainly don't, Carnifex and his forces have access to the ship. For all we know they could just as easily turn our own cannons on us, or fly the ship into the nearest star!"

For the first time, perhaps ever, the Captain actually flinched as the Sith slammed his hands down on the railing separating the pair from the rest of the bridge crew. "Our hands are tied. At the very least we can attempt to survive this by humoring the monster." There was no response to the Acolyte's grim tone, other than a solemn nod from the Captain. "Captain, High Priest, we're exiting hyperspace now." All eyes turned back forward as the swirling vortex faded and gave way to empty space. The familiar abyss of the void was all that greeted them, seemingly. "Wait, what is that?" One of the crew pointed out, their finger following what appeared to be a moving star. And many of them at that.

"That's....that's not empty space..." Alisteri muttered in awe as his eyes widened, then flinched as the great doors of the station opened and light enveloped the Altorius. The cult's frigate easily entered the hangar and made to land, the Captain and the High priest both staring at the apparent greeting party. Carnifex himself was there, awaiting them. "Orders?" The Acolyte glanced back at the Zygerrian, his mouth dry and his nerves alight. "Keep everyone aboard until I say otherwise. If worst comes to worst, get the hell out of here." The airlock facing Carnifex and his entourage slid open slowly, and out onto the hangar floor stepped the sole figure of Alisteri Haxim. "An impressive and awe-inspiring ship indeed, Darth Carnifex."

"It is the culmination of forty years of labor, Alisteri Haxim."

As the Dark Lord and the High Priest stood face-to-face, it was evident that the former was, by and large, greater in both size and stature than the young acolyte. Carnifex stood just over eight feet tall, His body well-defined by muscle even when concealed by Sith vestments. His sharp patrician features were well-framed by a mane of graying black hair that cascaded down His shoulders and neck, those baleful eyes looking down to meet Alisteri's own with an intensity famous throughout the former Empire.

"Malsheem was conceived when I was but an acolyte in the Old Empire, a true sanctuary. Long before the folly at Bastion, I realized that an empire fixed upon a single stationary capital would be vulnerable. Supply lines can be cut, a world blockaded, an entire ruling apparatus paralyzed. We both saw such truths play out before our eyes." And they had, multiple times, as the grinding warfare of the Third Imperial Civil War chipped away at the foundations of the Empire until it collapsed in on itself. Now warlordism ruled the former territories, various fiefdoms vying for dominance among the ashes and the scraps. The Dark Lord did not deign to debase Himself for meager concessions, He had far greater ambitions.

"Truthfully, it is harrowing to know that Malsheem was not complete before such ruin befell our great nation. But now that it is, we can begin anew." He gestured to the mighty vessel in which Alisteri now found himself in for the first time. "An ark to bear our people for all time." He then regarded Alisteri with a gesture, "It is why I have sent for you now, Son of the Empire. You have rightfully spoken against the inequities and failings of the Empire, recognized that arrogance and complacency had allowed to fester among us. You are one of the few who has remained grounded with the people of the Empire, ensuring that their faith did not die in the fires of war."

"Would you like to see all that Malsheem has to offer, Alisteri Haxim?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Craning up his head to meet the taller Sith's gaze was difficult enough, but keeping the stare without glancing away or flinching from the intensity of the man's presence was another task entirely. It was certainly easy to see how so many fell into worshipping the living myth before him. The magnitude and grandeur of the ship they were on almost paled to meet that of Darth Carnifex in some aspects. He idly wondered how much of the labor had been done during the war, of how many resources had been diverted to fuel such a massive project. Even now, his cynicism reared to silently and unconsciously spite Malsheem's grandness.

Alisteri nodded as the Sith Lord spoke, memories of the war and casualty reports briefly flashing across his mind. Being cut off from supply and reinforcement had seemed to become a more and more common situation in the waning years of the war, as the Sith Empire exhausted all that it had left to give. Far too many lives had been lost and squandered to forget it, and the Acolyte counted himself lucky that such a fate hadn't befallen him nor his cult during it all. An eyebrow quirked up at the word 'ark' and he glanced around the large hangar of the colossal Malsheem. Evidently his Altorius idea hadn't been original after all.

His gaze returned to Darth Carnifex and he did his best to hold his head up high and appear confident as he was directly referenced. Alisteri narrowed his eyes in suspicion for a moment, as if trying to peer into the words themselves to find a true meaning. He could hardly believe that he was being praised, or at the very least complimented, for his actions from a Sith Lord of all people. He did not answer immediately, still peering at Darth Carnifex as if he expected to find some sort of crack in a façade or an obvious lie. However, he could detect nothing at all.

Finally he found the courage to speak. "I wonder how many lives could have been saved by this ship, and how many suffered without it. Show me what it has to offer, I wish to see that the lives of my fellow Sith and citizens of the Empire were not tossed aside for nothing."

"Such things were put into calculation," answered the Dark Lord, not deigning to elaborate further. He then gestured for Alisteri to follow, the other Sith in the Dark Lord's entourage falling back so that the Dark Lord and His esteemed guest were at the vanguard of their procession. From the hangar, they moved into one of the many corridors winding through Malsheem. Though it shared similarities with facilities and vessels of the old Empire, it was nearly three times as tall and three times as wide. One could drive a parade of tanks down the center of the corridor and still have enough space for onlookers to line each side. The grandeur would have been dazzling, the sheer scale and scope of Malsheem eclipsing anything built during the Empire's time.

At a certain point in their journey, the Dark Lord led Alisteri to a mag-lift tram built into the station. There were hundreds, perhaps thousands, of stations exactly like this one spread throughout Malsheem. The sheer size of the station necessitated rapid transit throughout its many levels and habitation blocks. The one Carnifex and Alisteri took would first bring them through one of the manufacturing centers. From horizon to horizon, all that encapsulated Alisteri's sight was an endless cityscape of moving parts and clanking machinery.

An endless sea of gears and pistons bent towards one singular purpose, production. Malsheem was fully self-sufficient, capable of producing any necessity within itself to any measurement with any material. A large segment of this manufacturing sector was used to build the instruments of war; armor, weaponry, droids, vehicles, starships, and everything one could image used to facilitate violence. Alisteri could see this in action before his very eyes, an assembly line longer and wider than a star destroyer churning out battle droids of various shapes and sizes at a rapid pace. Few organic beings were seen down below, the vast majority of manufacturing operations carried out autonomously through advanced software.

Passing from the production lines, the tram passed over a vast hydroponic farms and processing centers. Lush greenery and vegetation stretched just as far as cold machinery had only moments before. Here were a mixture of robotic drones and organic harvesters, moving through the endless columns and monitoring each section on a constant rotation. In the distance, vessels several times larger than the Altorius carried the fruits of their labor away to equally large warehouses. There was enough food being produced here to feed the population of Dromund Kaas many times over, all of it being harvested and stored in preparation for some unseen goal.

"Do you see now what I mean, Alisteri Haxim? A true paradise, built to shepherd our people into a greater future."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
His response caused Alisteri to grimace and shoot a glare at the Dark Lord's back once he had turned away. Even with the mask, he hesitated to display such open emotions to Darth Carnifex directly. Regardless he didn't hesitate to follow in stride without any further beckoning. The sheer size of the Malsheem gave off an almost never-ending feeling of awe and dread in equal parts. The corridors alone dwarfed many of the planetside buildings that he had seen before, resembling a road more than a hallway given their size. It was baffling to think that the Malsheem could exist at all, yet here it was.

The tram had been another surprise, but one that made sense given the scale of the structure, and any comments that he had simply kept dying in his throat with each new sight. Alisteri's jaw dropped at the sight of the manufacturing center, his eyes roaming over the seemingly endless production lines and machinery. There was no doubt in his mind that this one production area alone could outfit and equip a whole army, perhaps even more. He could only imagine how it was all kept powered and operational in such a seamless manner. And this was just one part of the Malsheem, evidently.

Soon the assembly lines would give way to vast and carefully managed farms that were just as dense and efficient as the machinery and production had been. If the last area could have prepared an army, then this one was meant to feed it. Alisteri doubted that he had ever seen so much food in his life, and only the dense jungles of Dromund Kaas and Felucia could rival the sheer amount of plants and greenery. Memories of starving citizens and refugees briefly flashed in his mind, some of his own but mostly the others still wandering about the galaxy, and the mass amount of food suddenly seemed rather bitter.

"Your people you mean." Alisteri replied in a monotonous tone before gesturing out to the walls around them. "A paradise meant for you and those you deem worthy of saving. And I get the feeling that your lost of guests is a very short one." He turned to look back up at Darth Carnifex and did his best to keep his expression unreadable, even with the mask. "What shall become of my people and myself if you judge us unworthy of your Malsheem?"

Alisteri's response was not unexpected, but it was disappointing nonetheless. The Dark Lord turned and faced Alisteri, looking down at him with an expression more akin to that of a melancholic father than a mad despot. The tram continued to pass through the agricultural biome before disappearing into another tunnel, darkness closing in around them with only the tram's interior lights to illuminate them. "You misunderstand, Alisteri. Call back to your early teachings, allow your mind to slip into the Third Enumeration. It will give you clarity. Your people are welcome here as long as you desire, I will not turn you away." The Enumerations were a set of numbered states of mind that the Sith taught to their students, in order to center themselves in the whirlwind of emotion that they frequently called upon. The Third Enumeration specifically dealt with mental acuity.

"All the Empire's subjects were my children. To see them riven with such division, blinded by falsehoods, it saddens me greatly. The Empire's fall was a great reckoning for our people, Alisteri. It is but another test, one that we all must endure, so that we may emerge stronger and purer than we have been before. Calamity, starvation, and violence are a grim necessity in these harrowing times. The exorcising of weakness is not an easy or a pleasant sensation, but through suffering we shall become greater." Now the tram passed into another massive expanse, this one filled with thousands upon thousands of storage crates and other containers. It was a massive warehouse, large enough to comfortably fit several destroyers. Large cranes were moving individual containers throughout the chamber, while smaller crates were transported along conveyor belts that crisscrossed the air like many highways.

"If it settles your mind, know that I am planning to distribute food and provisions across our former Empire to those in need. Without reliable access to agriworlds, I have had to make do with the means I have at my disposal. Perhaps your flock can aid in this endeavor?"

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
As Darth Carnifex turned his gaze upon the masked Acolyte again, Alisteri tensed and looked much like an animal ready to flee from a hunter. Something about those eyes unnerved him right to his very core. The wide open agricultural area being replaced by a tunnel certainly didn't lighten his mood at all either. His eyes narrowed slightly as the Enumerations were mentioned and he did his best to recall them. It had been a fair few years since he began his path to the Sith ways, such teachings had almost faded from his mind entirely. That had been a consistent problem with his time during the Sith Empire, war had always called him away from training.

While he hesitated to take the Dark Lord at his word, he could not deny that he saw the reasoning and agreed with it. Comfort was something that he always strived to give his people, but even early on it was evident how fast such comfort could lead to decadence and decay. Struggle and strife were simply the natural ways for the Sith regardless of what forms they took and how severe they were. Peace was a lie after all. Living aboard the Altorius was a constant struggle for his cult on many levels. In the end though, their faith had only strengthened and some had even fell into sheer zealotry. Not unlike his own transition to such a deep reverence for the Dark Side throughout the war.

His gaze widened as it shifted from Darth Carnifex to the masses of crates and containers that now surrounded the tram as it continued on through the Malsheem. Alisteri briefly wondered how many buildings or ships could be constructed just out of the materials that made up the various containers. "You want us to help you feed our old worlds?" It sounded almost too amazing an idea to think of, however he knew that it would not be that simple. "Most of our empire's territory now resides in the clutches of the Jedi and Imperials. They will surely notice if we try to assist any of our former worlds on any large scale." He noted with a bitter, resentful tone.

"Indeed they will, but we will not be so boorish as to alert them to our presence." Long had the Twice-Emperor sown the seeds of influence across the galaxy, using His position as Emperor to entrench His power in the darkened corners of the Tingel Arm. Every shadow obeyed Him, they told Him what He wanted to know, served as His eyes and ears in the heart of enemy space. The same was true in the Core Worlds, the lingering influence of the One Sith bent to His will, serving His ambitions. There would come a time when all of this groundwork would culminate in a grand campaign, but for now He saw it fit to stay dormant and slowly accrue power.

He gestured to one of the cargo transports being loaded with containers, its hull painted with distinctive symbols. "Through my alliance with
Danger Arceneau, the Arceneau Trade Company will conceal our efforts to strengthen our hold on our former worlds. Her network of trade routes still remains even after the Civil War, her alliance with the Sith was never a public matter. We will use them to our advantage." Even after His abdication and the Empire's fall, the Dark Lord remained on exceptionally cordial relations with Madame Arceneau. Together they had seen the rise and fall of not only the Sith Empire, but the One Sith before it. Her wealth had been accrued through savvy business with all factions during the many wars, but the Sith had been especially keen to court her. When the Empire had taken over Bonadan, she and her company had directly benefited.

"Deception and guile are now our sharpest tools," the Dark Lord stated, "But there will come a time when our strength will be levied against our enemies." The tram continued along the track, passing from the loading area and plunging into darkness. They traveled through the darkness for some time, the brief passing of corridor lights the only indication that they were still in a tunnel and not an endless abyss. When they finally passed into the next opening, it was into a space similar to that of the one they had just come from. But instead of cargo containers, the flat expanse was filled with legions of soldiers standing in parade formation. Thousands upon thousands were arrayed, standing in perfect order, with banners held aloft on long poles.

The tram stopped at a platform overlooking the assembled soldiers, the doors opening to let the Dark Lord and Alisteri off. The tram remained after they had passed from it, the doors staying open to await their return. Carnifex led Alisteri to the platform's ledge, so that both of them were visible by the soldiers below. Though there was a surge of anticipation throughout the crowd, they remained silent and still; not moving even a single muscle. "Look upon them, Alisteri." The Dark Lord gestured to the endless ranks. "Vat-grown soldiers, ready to be deployed at a moment's notice. I have spent decades perfecting this art, the art of genetic replication. Now it is ready."

"When the Day comes, we will cleanse the galaxy of weakness and replace it with an era of strength. An era of the Sith."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
There was a small tilt of his head in confusion at the response, silently asking for elaboration which was then quickly given. His gaze followed the gesture and regarded the specified transport with curiosity. The symbols looked vaguely familiar and while the name escaped him he had seen similar transports before over the years. With that in mind the reveal that the company who owned said transports evidently had an alliance with the Dark Lord wasn't too surprising. That was all given the benefit of hindsight though of course. It did make him wonder just how far the reach of Carnifex went, if there was anywhere that was yet untouched by the powerful Sith.

Even if there was somehow such a place, Alisteri had a feeling that it would not remain that way for too long. "Is that not the point of strength? To use it to end our foes?" He already knew the answer in some capacity of course, but sitting silent as they sped through the dark was something he only enjoyed whilst alone. It did give him some time to reflect on his own resources and strength however. His training had been stunted and his only real assets were a ship and the small militia that he had managed to train up. Even then most of said militia were either soldiers from the Sith Empire or some of the more hardy Sangnir. Not much uniformity, but plenty of potential given some time and the right conditions.

Of course the sight of legions upon legions of soldiers standing at attention and ready for orders was more than enough to bring him back from his own musings. The spectacle was equally awe inspiring and terrifying. Alisteri paled at the sight of so many loyal and well armed servants of the Dark Lord, faltering and hesitating a moment before he followed after Darth Carnifex out of the tram and onto the platform. "By the Force." Were it not for his own senses he would have almost thought the army to be droids or statues, given how still they were.

The station, the army, and the presence of Darth Carnifex himself, finally cemented one fact that Alisteri had so desperately thought he could disprove. The Dark Lord could not be defeated. Not by him, and seemingly not by anything less of an entire nation at war. "Vat-grown?" His voice was pathetic and disheartened, a contrast to the glorious army below them. It took much of his effort not to sink to his knees and become lost in his despair. All of his plans and dreams seemed all at once to have turned to ash and withered from one simple visit to the Malsheem. His insignificance set in, and an internal struggle between his hopelessness and his frustration began in earnest. Although his masked visage portrayed nothing of the sort, his body and emotions certainly did and neither held back or attempted to hide it.

"Why even bother humoring the Worm at all?" Finally the frustration won out and he steeled his resolve as a hard tone sunk into his words. "What's the point of dancing around the wants and desires of other Sith when you have all that you need here? What could anyone or any allegiance possibly offer you that you don't already have, or can't acquire?"

The revelation of the Dark Lord's mighty host had the intended effect of disheartening and humbling the young Sith Acolyte, breaking down every preconceived notion he may have harbored so that this new fertile soil could be sown with the seeds of a new destiny. Now the Dark Lord could step in and prop Alisteri Haxim back up, show him that there was yet still strength to be found within him. "Because if the Sith are to survive, then we must do so as a collective. The cult of individualism has brought us to this moment, Alisteri, this deep schism that divides us. Although the Empire is no more, I still hold true to what it stood for; unity of purpose. The Order is above all others."

It had been known as the Rule of Order, a set of principles put forth by Darth Carnifex from His own synthesis of the Rule of One. It had served as the guiding doctrine of the Sith Empire since its inception, etched into the very foundations upon which they had built everything. But the Rule of Order had been upended by fifth columnists within the Empire's internal structure, buoyed by anti-Sith separatists in the Imperial Military. The Third Imperial Civil War had been the result of this internal strife, the Imperial separatists purging the Sith fifth columnists once their strength had been eclipsed. The Rule of Order had functionally ceased to exist, destroyed both from within and from without.

But the Dark Lord had not disregarded the Rule of Order entirely, He had analyzed the harsh truths that had been unveiled by the Rule's destruction to synthesize a new belief. Carnifex Thought was still in its infancy, still being tested in the dark corners of the galaxy, but it was becoming more tangible with every passing day. It would soon become a Rule in its own right, a new doctrine to lead the Sith to a new and greater future. Because of this, the Dark Lord was content with letting the Brotherhood of the Maw deflect attention away from His own actions throughout the galaxy, their chaotic crusade a lightning rod for the ire of the Jedi and their allies.

"I would seek to eventually restore what had been lost, an Empire built on stronger ideological foundations. I brought you to Malsheem to show you and your people that you are not alone, that you will never be alone, and that you are still part of something far greater."

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
Were it not for the occasional clenching and unclenching of his fists as he listened, it would almost seem as if Alisteri was completely still. Inwardly he was frustrated at it all. At Malsheem, at Carnifex, at the army before him, but most of all he despised the fact that what the Dark Lord said was true. If he didn't agree with such a sentiment at all then he would have never heeded the Worm's call for Sith and fell into service with the Sith Order. They couldn't stand alone, even if Carnifex seemed to defy that fact with the Malsheem.

There was really only one purpose for it all in the end. Regardless of how the fall of the Sith Empire had affected him, or even if it meant anything at all, Carnifex would not be stopped. Could not be stopped. His mind conjured visions of the army marching on the surfaces of dozens of worlds, of the Malsheem and a grand fleet bringing their enemies to kneel, of a new Sith Empire once again headed by the Dark Lord. And yet the thoughts gave him no comfort at all, only dread in knowing that he could do nothing to prevent such a future. Nothing to end the long and bloodstained rule of Carnifex. Again the Sith and all that followed them would be doomed to whatever fate awaited them as the paid the price for their master's ambition.

Alisteri could not hope to stand in the path of it. However, he evidently wasn't powerless either. "We have always been a part of something greater." He replied with as much pride and self assurance as he could muster. "From the very beginning of our pilgrimage I declared us to be the heirs to the Sith Empire, destined and thus demanded to one day reclaim all that we had lost. And more, to end the enemies of the Sith." His cult were few and their strength even fewer, but the faithful had persevered and all who had turned were subsequently taken care of. They were exactly as Alisteri had wanted them to be.

"The Sith will come to rule once more. For so long as I live that is my mission, my vow I took when my master first inducted me as an Acolyte of the Sith." Reluctantly, yet doing his best to mask his inner conflict on the matter, he tilted his head to peer up at the much taller Sith. "If you claim to want the restoration of the Sith Empire, then I find myself as your ally."

"We are not just allies, Alisteri, we are part of a Brotherhood. A pact that has withstood the grinding heel of time for thousands of years." It was true, for the Sith had existed in one form or another for over seven-thousand years. Time and time again they had been thought destroyed, extinct, only to emerge from the darkness evolved and stronger than before. However, in those distant eras the Jedi and their allies had often pilfered Sith archives, temples, and other places of knowledge and worship. What they did not destroy, they locked away, hoarding it from the descendants of the defeated Sith to learn from. Carnifex saw an end to that oppression of knowledge when He recovered numerous Sith holocrons, scrolls, and other various texts from Jedi Temples and forgotten vaults across the galaxy.

Much of His time as Emperor in-between His role as warmaster had been spent compiling what knowledge He had managed to save. Original documents were locked away in pressurized vaults, their contents transcribed and replicated so that they could be disseminated and preserved. The Athenaeum of Malsheem was one of the largest libraries in existence, dedicated to holding the vast collected knowledge of the Sith throughout every generation, as well as stolen Jedi knowledge, and other various information. So far, the Dark Lord had only allowed a select number the privilege of accessing the Athenaeum under the watchful gaze of the Guardians, who protected the Dark Lord's knowledge from unwanted intrusion.

"
Know that Malsheem shall be open to you and your flock, Alisteri. The time has finally come to assemble many Sith in this great ark that I have constructed, to share with them the knowledge that I have acquired, and to take our first steps towards our destiny." From His words, it was evident that Alisteri would not be the only Sith invited to Malsheem, as the Dark Lord laid clear His intention to gather a mighty host of surviving Sith at the station. From what Alisteri had seen, there was no doubt that Malsheem was well-equipped to handle such an influx. The Dark Lord had only shown him a sliver of what Malsheem could offer, there was far more concentrated here than anywhere else in the galaxy save worlds like Coruscant or Nar Shaddaa.

"
If you'll come with me, I will show you my Athenaeum." He gestured to the mag-tram, which remained open in preparation for their next journey.

Breaker of Chains
Codex Judge
The masked man only gave a nod in response as his gaze returned to the army beyond the platform. The Sith legacy was indeed a long and winding one, even with his general lack of knowledge on the finer details he knew that they had lasted thousands of years amidst the turbulent and changing galaxy. Whether in hiding or in broad view they were always present and would continue on so long as worthy heirs to that legacy still lived on and strived to instill the Sith across the galaxy. Whether or not the Dark Lord would play a part in the continuation of the Sith was still up for debate in his mind, but he would keep such thoughts to himself.

Alisteri craned his head to look up at the taller Sith as he spoke again, his gaze narrowing slightly in suspicion at the apparent invitation. He still had his reservations about his cult having a place aboard the Malsheem, especially given their comparatively unorthodox beliefs, but he was interested in hearing about the supposed opening up of the ark. It would be a great asset to the Sith as a whole if it were true of course, and one that they would desperately need if they were to reassert their place on the galactic stage.

And all of it was due to Carnifex, and more than likely would be under his control regardless of how open the Malsheem became. He quickly decided not to focus on such a sour thought lest it somehow be detected. Better to push it aside until he was in safer company and far away from the influence of the Dark Lord. If such a thing was even possible anymore.

He glanced back at the open tram doors and nodded as he passed by the Dark Lord and entered into the transport once more. Given how far he had came already, there was little point in going back now. "And what exactly is this 'Athenaeum' if you don't mind me asking? Another colossal feature I would assume?" The grand Sith architecture of ancient worlds such as Korriban and Dromund Kaas barely held a candle to the sheer size of the Malsheem after all. A mind-boggling concept in its own right, given how old and expansive the ruins of the Sith could be.

"The collective sum of all Sith knowledge." The manner in which the Dark Lord revealed this information to Alisteri was delivered in a manner on equal footing with the way one would describe a planet's weather, as though it were the most mundane statement in the galaxy. Clearly, something of that magnitude should have been delivered with more grandiosity than it had been, but the Dark Lord did not seem to overtly place much emphasis on such meager theatrics. In time, the Athenaeum's grandeur would speak for itself when Alisteri laid their eyes upon it.

"Among others, of course. The wisdom of the Sith is not the only knowledge I have acquired. Jedi scripture resides here as well, as does writings by thousands of other philosophers, political figures, prophets, poets, and scholars. In my many years in this galaxy, I have had much time to accumulate a great many things." Perhaps it was not well known by the current generations of Sith that the Dark Lord greatly coveted knowledge, especially if it pertained to the Force. For a time, He maintained various libraries in His castles and palaces spread across the galaxy, but had gradually emptied those troves and moved their treasures to Malsheem. There was nowhere else more secure.

The tram finally pulled into the next station, the doors opening to reveal a long corridor that terminated in a large metal door inscribed with various runic symbols. Framed in the center of the door was a hooded figure, their hands arranged in specific poses displaying gestures of mystical power. On the figure's right hand was inscribed the Sith rune for thought, and on the figure's left hand was inscribed the Sith rune for memory. The symbol of an eye was prominent on both the figure and the surrounding doorway, both completely open and tightly shut. Alisteri had only a few moments to study the door before it began to slide into the adjacent walls, light spilling out as it opened wider.

Within was a grand display, a seemingly endless library filled with thousands upon thousands of books, scrolls, datacrons, holocrons, and various other vessels of information. Hundreds of tables and desks had been arrayed in strategic locations, in particular at the intersections of shelved rows and in a great common's area close to the door. Several data stations could also be seen, scrolling digital screens displaying input requests. The library was completely empty, save for the wraithlike guardians that shuffled from row to row, leering down from the upper levels as the door to the Athenaeum was opened. There was a flash of green in the distance, the brief appearance of a Twi'lek moving further into the library, briefly glimpsed before it disappeared.

"What do you think?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom