Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Zaathri

Status
Not open for further replies.
aximili.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Zaathri
  • Designation: Sentient
  • Origins: Zaathru
  • Average Lifespan: Around 80 years
  • Estimated Population: Rare
  • Description: Zaathri are centaur-like creatures covered in color-changing mood fur. They have eye stalks on top of their heads, and a long, flexible tail equipped with a sharp curved blade. They communicate via whistling, body language and the shifting colors of their fur, which are determined by their emotional state. Their silver blood contains mercury, exposure to which is toxic for humans and other similar species.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Type I
  • Average Height of Adults: 1.4 - 1.8 meters (4.7 - 6 ft.)
  • Average Length of Adults: 2.4 meters (8 ft.)
  • Skin color: If you were to shave one, their skin would be tan with a grayish cast where blood is concentrated. Of course, attempting to shave one is ill-advised, unless you want their tail blade at your throat.
  • Hair color: Mood fur covers nearly the entire body, and will change depending on their emotional state. The fur is thicker in some areas, such as the back, chest, stomach, ankles, tail and head, whereas on the face, arms and legs it is shorter and more like the velvety coat of a horse or deer.
  • Distinctions: The upper half of a Zaathri's body is humanoid, though with a few differences. For instance, they have large eyes located on the face as well as a pair of eye stalks on top of their heads. They have flat, snout-like noses. While they may appear to have no mouth, they do have complex organs on the sides of their heads which serve a similar function, allowing them to communicate via whistling. The lower half of their bodies resembles a horse; they are suitable as mounts for human-sized individuals, provided they accept being ridden. They have a long and flexible tail ending in a curved blade, comparable to a scorpion's tail. Zaathri blood is metallic in color and often compared to quicksilver - an apt description, given its high mercury content.
  • Races: N/A
  • Force Sensitivity: Standard
Strengths:
  • Eye Stalks: While their humanoid eyes are only slightly keener than a human's, their mobility allows the Zaathri 360-degree vision.
  • Bladed Tails: Long enough to reach well past their heads, Zaathri tails end in a sharp scythe-like blade, allowing them to deliver devastating, whipping blows to an opponent. Similar to a snake's fangs, these blades can secrete a potent venom produced in glands at the tip of the tail.
  • Speed: Zaathri can run very fast, around 60 - 80 kph (37 - 50 mph), although those in peak physical condition may press on even faster.
  • Quicksilver in Their Veins: Zaathri blood contains mercury where humans have iron. Their blood is toxic to humans and many other species, with exposure (such as their blood coming into contact with bare skin) causing symptoms such as seizures, loss of motor control, cognitive impairment, memory loss, coma and death.
Weaknesses:
  • Sign Language: Possessing no vocal cords, Zaathri communicate through their own unique form of sign language, or through the use of the written word. Only Force sensitive members of the species are capable of using telepathy.
  • Unusual Diet: Zaathri consume pollen for nourishment by absorbing it through their skin. If they do not have access to pollen (such as within the airtight confines of a starship), they will starve.
  • Mood Fur: Their fur, which changes its appearance in response to their emotional state, means that it is nigh impossible for them to hide what they are feeling. It is sometimes said that the Zaathri cannot lie - but it is more accurate to say that they cannot lie convincingly, because their fur will exhibit signs of stress.
  • Skittish: The Zaathri are notoriously timid creatures, liable to jump at the slightest noise. When threatened, they are more likely to flee and hide than stand and fight.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Palynivore; they ingest pollen, which is absorbed through contact with bare skin. Most of their nourishment is obtained passively, as they consume pollen microbes that are blown by the wind, though the Zaathri may also actively seek out meals by rubbing flowers and other pollen carriers against their skin. They do not have a sense of taste, but they do have an excellent sense of smell which allows them to detect nearby pollen-producing plants. Individuals may have preferences for pollen from certain plants.
  • Communication: The Zaathri communicate via a tonal language, which to humans sounds like whistling. They have developed a written form of this language, though it is considered very limited in terms of what it can convey compared to vocalization.
  • Technology level: Below Galactic Standard; they are still using the most primitive of tools.
  • Religion/Beliefs: The Zaathri have an animistic view of the Force, believing that the universe is controlled by various "spirits". By appealing to these beings via prayers and sacrifices, a sorcerer or shaman can allow themselves to be "ridden" or possessed by the spirits, gaining their powers and otherworldly knowledge. Some Zaathri (especially those in bondage) may also share the same polytheistic faith as the Shaal, or believe in a combination of the two religions.
  • General Behavior:
    • Social Structures: The Zaathri are a proud but generally reserved people. They tend to sequester themselves from other species and live in small, nomadic flocks. The ideal environment for a Zaathri is open plains with plenty of flowering plants around. Family and child-rearing is very important to them; generally both the mother and father will raise their offspring together unless some extenuating circumstance prevents them, in which case other members of the extended family or community will step in to fulfill the parental role to a child.
    • Reproduction: Zaathri reproduce sexually and give birth to live young. The average gestation period is around 13 months. Twins are rare, and triplets are even rarer. Newborns are nourished by their mother's milk, with weaning beginning at around 12 months.
    • Childhood and Maturity: Immature Zaathri are referred to as "foals" (the term can be used both endearingly or as an insult) and are very rambunctious and curious, requiring greater adult supervision even compared to human children. They mature at around ten years of age.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
d36kix0-45365e03-b342-4bc5-adb0-e4016b36986b.png

The Zaathri are native to the planet Zaathru; they are the originators of the planet's name.

It is believed that the Zaathri are descended from those who built the vast desert complexes and strange technology which fill the ancient ruins that dot their homeworld. But following a great cataclysm, their civilization crumbled and they were reduced to a much more primitive state.

The majority of Zaathri live in small, isolated flocks. Those that have been enslaved live alongside the Shaal, and may have more in common with their enslavers in terms of lifestyle and culture.

Last edited:
Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

This hurts my heart because I love Animorphs at much as the next person but these creatures are nearly identical to Andalites. I know it can be hard to differentiate them when you're using art from the Fandom but you'll need to go back to the drawing board and switch them up quite a bit.

I did note a few minor differences such as their blood and being more primitive, but, it's still waaaay too on the nose. A lot of the descriptions are the same, seeing in different spectrums, and even using sign language to speak. (That was how Andalites started speaking before they developed thought speak.)

If you think you can make changes in a timely fashion I'll leave it here for you to work on. If not, no rush, I can move it up the Pre-Codex so you can work on it when you have time. You'd just need to re-post it when ready.

Just let me know how you want to proceed.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

This species concept was rejected when I attempted to sub it two years ago for the same reasons you've given. Since then I have extensively reworked the sub in an attempt to satisfy the rules, and at this point I do not think it is possible to make more alterations while still using the same art. I would rather not sub a species without art, nor do I want to try and find another image. I based the description of the species around these two pieces of art.

I don't know what else to do here. I wrote these descriptions myself. I did not copy-paste them from the Andalite wiki page. The fact that the wording is similar is because I am using Andalite art, and so my physical descriptions will inevitably sound at least somewhat similar. Telepathy is found in many different sci-fi universes, including SW, so it's not unique to Animorphs (maybe the term "thought speak" could be considered unique to Animorphs, but this sub doesn't use that term). I did remove the reference to their having a wider spectrum of vision, as per your request.

I am open to suggestions regarding how to proceed.

Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn

As I mentioned - I do recognize the attempt to add a little flavor, but at its core, this is an Andalite transported to Star Wars and it's still way too on the nose. It breaks into crossover territory fairly blatantly and we don't allow that. It's being held up for the same reasons that it was before.

How to go about switching things up?

Try reaching outside the "Animorph" or "Andalite" frame of mind. Forget what you know to be true about them from the series and pull on some of the strange and wonderful things from Star Wars.

Examples:

Instead of referring to them as a "herd" choose something else.
Instead of having them eat through their hooves, perhaps, they do have a mouth but it seals shut when they aren't eating and you can't see it. Or perhaps they absorb nutrients passively through microbes in the air, through their skin.
Instead of having their vision be identical to Animorphs choose something different, or, remove the extra sensory aspects altogether.
Perhaps instead of communicating via telepathy and sign language, they do so by manipulating gravitational waves or sound waves.

These are just a few random examples but when you're designing a species the sky is the limit save for a few small items such as "no immortality" which isn't even an issue here. Don't let the artwork confine you into the box that it came from. If you do - You're going to keep running into the same problem.

It would be cool to have a species that look like these guys. I'm not complaining about that. Big fan, here. But whether I like them or not is irrelevant because they've GOT to be their own thing to maintain the spirit of Star Wars. Not Animorphs. The words may not be taken as a direct rip from any source, in the same order, but I can easily recognize A LOT of the phrases used to describe them. When you're looking at an alien species that only appears in one other place...Those descriptions, biology, and function really stand out.

I hope that helps! Please do let me know if you'd like me to leave it here or move it to the Pre-Codex.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

I have made the following edits:
  • Replaced any reference to "herds" with "tribes".
  • Changed eating habits from herbivores to palynivores, with elaboration. I also made this a weakness (Specialized Diet).
  • Any references to specialized vision have been removed.
  • Sign language and telepathy are still the main modes of communication, though I included that they have a written language as well.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

I have made the following edits:
  • Replaced any reference to "herds" with "tribes".
  • Changed eating habits from herbivores to palynivores, with elaboration. I also made this a weakness (Specialized Diet).
  • Any references to specialized vision have been removed.
  • Sign language and telepathy are still the main modes of communication, though I included that they have a written language as well.

This is a good start.

The examples I provided were really only that; Examples. You didn't have to go that route if you didn't want to when really, we just need these guys to differentiate from the source material enough that they can stand on their own. If I compare the base description, distinctions, etc, there is still way too much crossover. A lot of the information matches, it's just been moved around. We can't just port their likeness in and call it a day.

Biggest Similarities:

- The basis of starting with "sign language" and some utilizing telepathy. It does exist in Star Wars, obviously, but it doesn't help you to differentiate the species by carrying over the same traits in the same manner. (By and large, this is probably the thing that stands out the most because it's so prevalent.)

From Your Submission:
  • They lack a mouth or vocal cords, and therefore must communicate using sign language or written text. Some that are Force-sensitive may also learn Force telepathy.
  • At first, they used a form of sign language, but then developed thought-speak.

- The "blue fur" coloring.

- Calling them a "herd" or referencing "tribes" because the Wiki does the same thing. They started as a herd, became a tribe.

- Bladed Tails. Switching around the words from "Tail Blade" to "Bladed Tail" isn't really changing anything. Yes, the art has them. But the descriptions and usage are VERY close.

From Your submission:
  • When running, the tail is tucked tightly against the back, making them unable to attack, but getting stomped on or kicked by an Zaathri's sharp hooves at high speed could prove very damaging, perhaps even lethal.
  • Long enough to reach well past their heads and capable of moving faster than the human eye can see.
  • During running, the tail is tucked down tightly against the back to improve speed.
  • An Andalite's tail blade can move supremely fast, faster than the Human eye can see.
- Belief System. Perhaps, this could be alleviated with a little elaborating but this is also very close to what Andalites do.

From Your Submission:
  • The Zaathri have an animistic view of the Force, believing that the universe is controlled by various "spirits" who can be appealed to through prayers and sacrifices.
  • Rituals are very important to the Andalites. They have small rituals, which mostly involve reciting prayer-like words, at certain events.

These are some of the things you're going to want to look at. The devil is in the details and while I'm accepting of some similarities (calling them centaur-like, etc) you'll need to adjust just a little bit more. I hope breaking it down like this helps explain it better.

Last edited:
Srina Talon Srina Talon

More edits:
  • Changed their method of communication to a tonal whistling language. Added a set of organs which are used to produce these tones.
  • To deal with the "blue fur" issue, they now have mood fur like the canon Kushiban species. I added a Weakness which explains that their fur makes it harder for them to lie/hide their emotions (Mood Fur).
  • If I can't call them herds or tribes, I guess I'll call them flocks instead?
  • They still have bladed tails, but I removed anything that sounded too similar to the quotes you pulled from the wiki. No moving faster than the human eye can see or being tucked down when running.
  • Virtually every religion has rituals and prayers involved, but I went ahead and elaborated a little on their clergy and how they interact with the spirits. I would prefer to keep this section vague.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

More edits:
  • Changed their method of communication to a tonal whistling language. Added a set of organs which are used to produce these tones.
  • To deal with the "blue fur" issue, they now have mood fur like the canon Kushiban species. I added a Weakness which explains that their fur makes it harder for them to lie/hide their emotions (Mood Fur).
  • If I can't call them herds or tribes, I guess I'll call them flocks instead?
  • They still have bladed tails, but I removed anything that sounded too similar to the quotes you pulled from the wiki. No moving faster than the human eye can see or being tucked down when running.
  • Virtually every religion has rituals and prayers involved, but I went ahead and elaborated a little on their clergy and how they interact with the spirits. I would prefer to keep this section vague.

This is much better. Again, though, I was just giving you examples of the things that could be altered to try and help out. Not that you had to change it all or only choose particular things.

Food for Thought: In general...There will always be "some" carryover between cultures and species. It's just the way it is. But, when so much of it exists in the same place, in the same way, that becomes suspect. The "rituals and prayers" wouldn't even be on the table were it not something that the Wiki pointed out, specifically, and in turn, your submission followed suit. It was the same thing with telepathy, etc, and all the rest of the distinctions that matched an existing source. It is the combination of these items. Each one if looked at singularly or on its own wouldn't raise a brow at all.

I don't know about you but "Mood Fur" sounds way cooler anyway. Nice addition. The rest of it checks out. You should be quite proud of yourself because you've done solid work.

I think we can move forward now, but please, in the future try and keep this in mind. I don't want to hold up your submissions (or anyone else's) for any longer than necessary. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom