OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: To sub a species for future RP.
- Image Credit: Tumblr, shoomlah
- Canon: N/A
- Permissions: N/A
- Links: Paradise Found
- Name: Zaathri
- Designation: Sentient
- Origins: Zaathru
- Average Lifespan: Around 80 years
- Estimated Population: Rare
- Description: Zaathri are centaur-like creatures covered in color-changing mood fur. They have eye stalks on top of their heads, and a long, flexible tail equipped with a sharp curved blade. They communicate via whistling, body language and the shifting colors of their fur, which are determined by their emotional state. Their silver blood contains mercury, exposure to which is toxic for humans and other similar species.
- Breathes: Type I
- Average Height of Adults: 1.4 - 1.8 meters (4.7 - 6 ft.)
- Average Length of Adults: 2.4 meters (8 ft.)
- Skin color: If you were to shave one, their skin would be tan with a grayish cast where blood is concentrated. Of course, attempting to shave one is ill-advised, unless you want their tail blade at your throat.
- Hair color: Mood fur covers nearly the entire body, and will change depending on their emotional state. The fur is thicker in some areas, such as the back, chest, stomach, ankles, tail and head, whereas on the face, arms and legs it is shorter and more like the velvety coat of a horse or deer.
- Distinctions: The upper half of a Zaathri's body is humanoid, though with a few differences. For instance, they have large eyes located on the face as well as a pair of eye stalks on top of their heads. They have flat, snout-like noses. While they may appear to have no mouth, they do have complex organs on the sides of their heads which serve a similar function, allowing them to communicate via whistling. The lower half of their bodies resembles a horse; they are suitable as mounts for human-sized individuals, provided they accept being ridden. They have a long and flexible tail ending in a curved blade, comparable to a scorpion's tail. Zaathri blood is metallic in color and often compared to quicksilver - an apt description, given its high mercury content.
- Races: N/A
- Force Sensitivity: Standard
- Eye Stalks: While their humanoid eyes are only slightly keener than a human's, their mobility allows the Zaathri 360-degree vision.
- Bladed Tails: Long enough to reach well past their heads, Zaathri tails end in a sharp scythe-like blade, allowing them to deliver devastating, whipping blows to an opponent. Similar to a snake's fangs, these blades can secrete a potent venom produced in glands at the tip of the tail.
- Speed: Zaathri can run very fast, around 60 - 80 kph (37 - 50 mph), although those in peak physical condition may press on even faster.
- Quicksilver in Their Veins: Zaathri blood contains mercury where humans have iron. Their blood is toxic to humans and many other species, with exposure (such as their blood coming into contact with bare skin) causing symptoms such as seizures, loss of motor control, cognitive impairment, memory loss, coma and death.
- Sign Language: Possessing no vocal cords, Zaathri communicate through their own unique form of sign language, or through the use of the written word. Only Force sensitive members of the species are capable of using telepathy.
- Unusual Diet: Zaathri consume pollen for nourishment by absorbing it through their skin. If they do not have access to pollen (such as within the airtight confines of a starship), they will starve.
- Mood Fur: Their fur, which changes its appearance in response to their emotional state, means that it is nigh impossible for them to hide what they are feeling. It is sometimes said that the Zaathri cannot lie - but it is more accurate to say that they cannot lie convincingly, because their fur will exhibit signs of stress.
- Skittish: The Zaathri are notoriously timid creatures, liable to jump at the slightest noise. When threatened, they are more likely to flee and hide than stand and fight.
- Diet: Palynivore; they ingest pollen, which is absorbed through contact with bare skin. Most of their nourishment is obtained passively, as they consume pollen microbes that are blown by the wind, though the Zaathri may also actively seek out meals by rubbing flowers and other pollen carriers against their skin. They do not have a sense of taste, but they do have an excellent sense of smell which allows them to detect nearby pollen-producing plants. Individuals may have preferences for pollen from certain plants.
- Communication: The Zaathri communicate via a tonal language, which to humans sounds like whistling. They have developed a written form of this language, though it is considered very limited in terms of what it can convey compared to vocalization.
- Technology level: Below Galactic Standard; they are still using the most primitive of tools.
- Religion/Beliefs: The Zaathri have an animistic view of the Force, believing that the universe is controlled by various "spirits". By appealing to these beings via prayers and sacrifices, a sorcerer or shaman can allow themselves to be "ridden" or possessed by the spirits, gaining their powers and otherworldly knowledge. Some Zaathri (especially those in bondage) may also share the same polytheistic faith as the Shaal, or believe in a combination of the two religions.
- General Behavior:
- Social Structures: The Zaathri are a proud but generally reserved people. They tend to sequester themselves from other species and live in small, nomadic flocks. The ideal environment for a Zaathri is open plains with plenty of flowering plants around. Family and child-rearing is very important to them; generally both the mother and father will raise their offspring together unless some extenuating circumstance prevents them, in which case other members of the extended family or community will step in to fulfill the parental role to a child.
- Reproduction: Zaathri reproduce sexually and give birth to live young. The average gestation period is around 13 months. Twins are rare, and triplets are even rarer. Newborns are nourished by their mother's milk, with weaning beginning at around 12 months.
- Childhood and Maturity: Immature Zaathri are referred to as "foals" (the term can be used both endearingly or as an insult) and are very rambunctious and curious, requiring greater adult supervision even compared to human children. They mature at around ten years of age.
The Zaathri are native to the planet Zaathru; they are the originators of the planet's name.
It is believed that the Zaathri are descended from those who built the vast desert complexes and strange technology which fill the ancient ruins that dot their homeworld. But following a great cataclysm, their civilization crumbled and they were reduced to a much more primitive state.
The majority of Zaathri live in small, isolated flocks. Those that have been enslaved live alongside the Shaal, and may have more in common with their enslavers in terms of lifestyle and culture.