Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Yuppie Patrol

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::

C U R I O U S
blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png
Wearing: xxx
Weapons: xxx x2
Tag: Malcoma Hesse Malcoma Hesse

The Coruscanti nightlife of the rich and famous was something Judah was never going to get used to. It was a level of hedonism and opulence the simple Jedi had never seemed to master. Most of the time he was too busy trying to avoid becoming like the wretched yuppies to even care about what sort of things interested them. His investigation into the bombing which occurred while he had been attending a gala on Hapes had demanded he not ignore it now.

Judah had found nothing in the rubble to indicate any one individual who had been responsible. Whatever remains had resulted from the explosion were so indistinguishable that no one had been able to identify anyone. There were missing persons reports, but they did not help other than give names to lives possibly lost in the explosion. Most had to assume they died there, but Coruscant was so crime ridden that anything was possible.

It was too clean, all of it, to have been some gang from the lower levels. No, the shadow had become convinced whoever was behind the attack had the resources to ensure they would never be attached to it. It would be old detective work, with help from the force and a very interesting ally, which would crack the case.

Malcoma Hesse Malcoma Hesse confused Judah as much as anything. They should have never been a good match when it came to working together, or in any other sense for that matter. Yet, they were. Judah was just less Jedi-like enough to make it work, and she cared a lot more than she would admit. Both factors made the pairing workable even if it was odd and unlikely.

He could feel all the eyes staring at him. Jedi rarely traveled into the wealthier parts of Coruscant unless it was on the behest of a high ranking official, or one of the senators which requested their presence. In this case it was neither, which meant trouble. It was the only other reason a Jedi would be seen walking about the area standing out like a wampa on tatooine. What drew everyone’s attention even more was the fact Malcoma looked as much at home among the elite as Judah looked out of place. Being seen together was going to raise eyebrows, but it was what Judah was hoping for.

Those who had a problem with his presence would not be suspicious enough to consider a suspect. Anyone that had a problem with him being there and with Malcoma, that would possibly put him closer to his mark. There was always the chance it would leave him with nothing as well. People seemed a lot more tolerant of odd pairings than they had when Judah was younger. It was a strange galaxy they lived in, and for Judah it was getting stranger with every passing year.

“Either they think I’m about to beg for credits, or they all can’t believe how resplendent you look…”

It was part compliment disguised in self-deprecating humor. The pair could never seem to compliment each other directly. Sarcasm and banter was one of the things which kept their relationship casual, whatever the dynamic of it was. They were friends working together, but there was something else too, something underneath the surface neither had dared to discover. It was enough. They had a job to do after all.

"That's alright, darling," mused Mal, glancing around casually with her head high. She did look like she belonged. It was just a part she had played for a long time, but now, after she and her girls moved into an estate in Monument Plaza, it wasn't just make believe. "You can pretend you're a benefactor of my new charity. The quilted fashion may prove to work to our benefit..." Only then did she glance at his outer robe, then up at him and finally away again. "I don't say that lightly."

Yep. What had her down on Spira was most definitely out of her system now, a few weeks later.

"So, where to first?" she asked as they walked down a high-end promenade.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

C U R I O U S
blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

Already taking jabs at Judah… it seemed that Malcoma was very much back to her old self. The Jedi chuckled and shrugged her comments off, even though she was correct in how they could play off his looks. The one thing he had going for him was that he did not look like a Jedi per se. Many other peoples or races wore the attire he had chosen for the evening. Judah could easily play the part of a refugee in need of something more… appropriate for Coruscant.

"Into the crowd. We just need to listen to their conversations for a while. That alone will point us in the right direction. Unless you happen to have a list of who is who around here already."

He smirked. Mal had her resources. Judah would not be surprised if she did, or if Damris already ran background checks on them all. There was a reason Judah used Malcoma as an info broker of sorts. He was not even sure what their relationship was exactly. Most of the time it was purely business, but Spira had allowed him a peek into a softer side of Mal. Judah had allowed his own walls to fall around her. It was dangerous, but for some reason he trusted her.

"You're good with people… just listen to see if anyone talks about New Way in a more positive light."

Mal was about to ask the Jedi if a recent battle had given him tinnitus, but she thought better of it once the ambience began to really catch her attention. The more she focused, the more she could pick parts of individual conversations out of the collective clamor, not for use of the Force but the skill of one who had long ago made every business her business, at least when it served her.

A twi'lek was telling his companion that they should go to lunch soon. They probably would never see each other again.

A rodian was cooing to her pet loth cat as she tried to pull it along on a leash.

Something reminiscent of a drug deal was going down a few meters away.

Police chatter to the other side, purposefully ignorant.

An "Ah, Headmistress!" exclaimed from a storefront.

She gave an obligatory nod in greeting while holding back a sigh. The near-human then gestured her over, so she crossed over to the man's tax accounting firm, according to the flashy sign. "Mister Lergo," she began. "Please don't tell me that I owe the Galactic Alliance any more of my money." She knew she didn't but said so to keep her public appearances up.

"No, no, nothing so unfortunate, madam," he replied. "Ending of a war is good for governmental business."

Mal gave a polite half-smile.

Lergo then trailed off, looking suspiciously at Judah.

"Never you mind him," she said without glancing over herself. "A poor addict from down a few thousand levels, who hasn't been the same since he was trafficked in from Makeb to scrap." Then, she turned and put a hand to Judah's cheek. "I'll fix him up in no time." She returned her gaze to the accountant, who was now smiling.

"Very...benevolent of you, as always." He said it in a way that might insinuate to Judah that Lergo might have a very different idea than that. "Yes. I only wanted to give you a word of warning, Malcoma..."

She moved closer but motioned Judah to stay put. Once the other man whispered something in her ear, she kissed his cheek and walked back to Judah.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

Last edited:

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

Judah quirked his brows slightly in response to Mal's sudden revelation. He supposed that his current appearance matched the assessment she had given to the individual they had approached. Her connections among upper echelons of Coruscant society was the exact reason Judah wanted to work with the blonde. It had not been a disappointment. Whatever exchange that took place between them was brief, and something Malcoma did not want Judah to hear. Of course he respected her methods, though he was curious.

She returned, and they moved on. Naturally Judah was not going to let her comments go. How could he abandon an opportunity to give her grief? She wouldn't.

"A spice addict huh?"

The Jedi chuckled as he offered his arm to his would be benefactor.

"I hope what he told you was worth that kiss on the cheek."

It was his way of asking without asking. His comment could be taken as a jealous statement, but Judah rarely displayed that troublesome emotion. Envy did not suit a Jedi, and it certainly did not suit Judah. It was another way in which he could tease the blonde, but for now he'd hold onto his comments for another time. After all, he did not want to push the boundaries too far.

Mal took his arm, but spoke with an air of eye rolling: "Pick a vice, Judah. Anything your do-gooder heart desires."

She shook her head at his question. "No, it wasn't, but I've given a man more affection for less." She straightened up. His attempt to gauge what news she had been told was all too easy for her to pick up on. She might have kept the information to herself had she not offered of her own volition to work with him on this investigation. "He insinuated that your friends," not so much, but she didn't want to say 'the New Way' aloud, should the wrong people be listening, "are still on the prowl."

As he may have guessed.

"I think we should surprise them with a visit."

More codetalking.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

“I do have a vice,” Judah said as he allowed his eyes to wander up and down Malcoma’s figure.

He smirked, but the smile faded at the mention of his “friends.” She was smart not to mention the New Way by name, but Judah had never taken her for a fool. There would have been no way the blonde could remain successful in her line of work if she was a dunce. Judah liked the way she operated, and had every confidence he had chosen to put his trust in the right person. Her connections alone made her a worthy infobroker. The other qualities were what had drawn him in to seeing her as something other than an informant.

“Did he happen to tell you where my friends are staying?”

Judah averted his eyes from a wealthy senator as he spoke. If he was going to play the part of an addict then the Jedi had to display the outward signs of shame in his body language. He could feel their eyes on him, and it would not take much to push into their minds and hear the judgmental thoughts the majority of them were thinking. If they were not judgmental, the would be thoughts of pity.

“If he did, then a visit is definitely in order. We cannot have them taking advantage of other addicts who are on a path toward bettering themselves.”

Last edited:

She laughed at him.

"That's cute, because I wouldn't even let you watch."

“. . . We cannot have them taking advantage of other addicts who are on a path toward bettering themselves.”

"Quite," she replied, getting back to business. "He did not give me an address, but I know how to bring them to mine." It was her turn to smirk. The Headmistress' inner child liked being a bit mischievous, like getting caught with her hand in the proverbial cookie jar. "You won't like it." Not that she did much either, but as these last minutes had established, she could play pretend.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

Judah shrugged.

“I am so wounded,” he said as he grabbed his chest. “To think that watching is what you thought I had in mind.”

The Jedi master smirked. Was it appropriate of him, no. Did he care, no. Had it been another he may have, but Judah was used to the banter between himself and the blonde. This wouldn't be the first time he insinuated such things with her. It was fun. She was fun, and she already demonstrated, Malcoma was more than able to dish back whatever Judah sent her way.

“I am not going to like it,” he quirked his brow. “You wanting to use me as bait?”

The question was valid, but Judah had a feeling in the pit of his stomach she was thinking something a little more reckless. While he was usually one for tossing caution to the wind when it was necessary, Judah was not wanting to put others in danger if he could avoid it.

The New Way was not the typical foe.

“Lay it on me…”

She chose to let that thread of banter die.

Instead, she replied, "Not you. Well, not if she agrees." Of course; Malcoma didn't make her girls do anything.

She wouldn't say any more out here. No, she'd be more or less silent until they came upon Eden's Club. The bouncer let the unlikely pair in and Malcoma led Judah into the maze of back rooms that had been living quarters when the girls had lived here. Their target was the Headmistress' office though.

Once inside, and the door was shut, Malcoma leaned back agianst it and let out a sigh akin to relief. "Sonti," she began after a brief moment, pushing herself off the door and walking over to her desk. "She's not very skilled," she turned to Judah and held up a finger, "and that is not a judgement, but she is Force sensitive. I've gone to great lengths, taken many expenses, to keep that a secret, especially here." To keep the Jedi away from her. Both women believed that the galaxy needed their protection against the Dark side, but Malcoma also thought them akin to slave traders in select ways. A bit better, sure, but their practice of recruiting young and lost souls tended to force servitude. Whether or not that was for the greater good, it was still despicable.

She decided to keep the opinion to herself and focus on Sonti.

"But, somehow, the New Way knows. Lergo told me they're looking for those like her."

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

The Eden Club was a familiar setting to Judah, even if he had only visited the place on a handful of occasions. Judah had helped to save the girls residing in the club when it came under attack by a certain slave trader that wanted the girls to himself in an attempt to subvert the work Malcoma was doing. That had been shortly after their first meeting. It was something Judah would remember fondly as the man had turned a bit more sentimental in his older age. Even if the circumstances had been less than ideal, Judah would not have changed a thing.

Judah tried to remain stoic at the mention of Sonti, but he could not. It felt as though Mal had walked right up to him and punched his stomach head on. Was Malcoma seriously thinking about using Sonti as bait to draw out some of the New Way when she had a Jedi Master willing to play the role.

“I had a bad feeling… I was hoping it was just indigestion.”

His eyes looked at Mal with a sentiment she had rarely seen from him. Tight lips paired with a furrowed brow showed he was not happy with the idea. It did little that she was force sensitive. That was not the issue to Judah. He had been around long enough to be able to suspect something, but not nosey enough for the revelation to be without surprise. The issue which he most latched onto was that it was Sonti.

She had been the first of the girls Judah met. While she had called on Judah from time to time to help, Sonti was one he regularly checked up on of his own volition.

Several determined steps were taken toward the desk where Malcome was. His hands rest on the wooden top on either side of the blonde.

“I’m better bait. They’re smart, but arrogant. If they have a shot at a Jedi Master, why settle for Sonti…”

Was he arguing the idea, absolutely, even if he knew he would eventually have to give in to it.

"Judah."

Mal shifted her weight and rolled her eyes. She couldn't believe that she of all people was about to tell a Jedi Master off for emotional attachment.

"That's just it. You're a Master. They're poachers and right now, they've got a weak, little thing in their sights. They have no interest in Father Bear. They'll take the easier target first. Arrogance will convince them that, in time, the herd will fall to them, not drive them in over their heads."

Malcoma's eyes dropped his gaze and flicked down to her hand a moment before it covered one of Judah's. She looked back up at him. "Trust me and give her a chance. We've made ourselves by tricking men who would do us harm."

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

Last edited:

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

"Mal."

His answer wasn't stern or harsh, but soft, accepting. He knew this was the right course, and he already knew the truth the blonde spoke as she talked about what the New Way were likely thinking. Judah simply did not like the idea of using Sonti as bait, even if she had played that role before.

He sighed before lifting Malcoma's hand to his lips. A soft kiss was placed on the top of her hand before he stepped away to give her ownership of her personal space once again.

"Just make sure whenever we set this up I'm there to catch them personally. I have to report my findings to the council, but I can leave you and Sonti out of it. I understand why you kept this a secret, and I'll leave that detail out as well."

He nodded. Whether he knew Mal's reason for keeping it a secret from him or not, Judah understood what the seekers may try should they deem her worth pursuing. Sonti was already giving her life to a cause, of her own free will. She did not need to be giving it to an order Judah often questioned. Just because he agreed with them mostly, did not mean he did not sometimes challenge the morality of their decisions on occasion. Those thoughts were reserved for Valery Noble, more than the council. He trusted her to hear his concerns without jumping to erroneous conclusions.

"I take it we're targeting a local branch then? Hopefully the cell connected to the bombing."

"But of course, darling," Mal promised. Judah would have a front row seat, all too easy to stop these fethers in their tracks from.

"I'd appreciate that," she then added. "Your shadows know bounds. Mine don't."

She stood from leaning slightly back on her desk, shrugging as she fiddled with her crystal-faced wrist-chron. "So do I. We'll see what bites."

In a few minutes, a shriek came in through the open door a faction of a second before Sonti did, latching onto Judah in a side hug. "Hi!" she exclaimed before pulling back. She glanced at Mal then back at the Jedi. "I didn't know you were stopping by."

Malcoma gave Judah a chance to respond as she walked over to her tenant. Only after he had said what he wanted to, she'd speak again. "Darling, I've just told Judah about your situation." A look of concern flashed over Sonti's face. "He's not a Seeker. He won't be taking you anywhere." Mal paused. "But there are some who want to."

"The New Way?" the younger woman guessed. It was Malcoma's turn to look taken aback. "I, uh, heard Damris mention it last night. Not to me, but, uh..." She shifted her weight. "Well, you teach us to eavesdrop."

Malcoma's expression turned into one of pride. "Very good. Now we have an important question for you. As always, feel free to decline." She glanced over at Judah. "Judah is tracking a New Way cell, but his leads are drying up. Fortunately, one has dropped into our lap. Mister Lergo insinuated that they may be after you—"

"Sure."

"I haven't finished."

"And I can do basic maths." Though she had interrupted her benefactor and her words could be construed as disrespectful, they were anything but. Sonti's voice held no attitude, just determination. "I wanna help."

Mal looked at Judah again as if to say, See? I told you.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

blue-div.png
judah-temp1.png

Judah was not sure the Shadows of this order knew where the boundaries were anymore. There had been far too much killing for Judah’s taste, but he stomached it because they stood for something and still managed to differentiate themselves from the Maw. He could not say that anymore. Exegol was destroyed and Jedi had played a role in that. Greater good or not, Judah had to draw a line somewhere or lose himself in the process. Exegol was that line.

He nodded. There was no sense in trying to correct Malcome, or get into his own doubts. She likely picked up on some of the conflict or tension he had going on in his own mind anyhow. Even if he wanted to talk about it, whatever time they had was interrupted by a high pitched squeal and lithe, but strong arms, wrapped around Judah.

“Hey yourself,” Judah chuckled and returned the hug. It was brief as the reason for their visit was work. “This isn’t exactly a planned visit,” he answered with his eyes moving back to Mal. She could explain what was going on a lot better than Judah would be able to.

Judah looked at Mal when Sonti suggested she had been eavesdropping on a previous conversation. A small shrug was all he offered. The blonde had trained her girls well, and Sonti was among her best students. It was why she jumped at the chance to help.

Malcoma did not waste time in shooting a glance back at the Jedi. He shook his head. Even without saying anything the pair seemed to keep the friendly and competitive banter between them. Yes, Mal was right, and another shrug was the closest thing to admitting it that Judah was going to give the woman.

“Mal here thinks we can use you to lure them in, but…” Judah looked at Sonti. She seemed determined to help. “...well that’s not important anyhow.”

He leaned against the closest wall, keeping his back to it while crossing his arms over his chest.

“If they have been tracking you, and they know your movements… you need to be somewhere regular where they can catch you using the force to confirm their suspicions. I’ll be close if they try to grab you. I hate using you as bait, but there isn’t really a better way to put it.”

Judah looked at Sonti with an apologetic look. She would see he had resigned himself to the plan even if he did not like it.

~~~~~​

“You all set,” Judah asked with some telepathy in Sonti’s mind. Even if she was not trained to reply, all she had to do was think her answer. Judah would pick up on it.

He parched on top of a building as he kept his eyes out on Sonti. It was raining, not ideal, but that was when she was out helping those who needed it. It would provide an opportunity for her to do some kind of display. Judah could only hope that the New Way was watching. He was tired of his leads turning into dead ends. With what they had asked Sonti to do, Judah wanted to catch someone.

"I sure hope this works, Mal. I'm gonna really be some kind of way if this ends up being another washed up lead."

They set their trap outside a decrepit storefront on one of the industrial corners of the upper world where everything was colored black with soot. While the rain might have been less than ideal as far as Judah was concerned, the air quality was slightly better for it; Sonti had chosen not to wear the small respirator that she normally did while handing out soup.

Good to go, she thought, in fact not trained in telepathy.

Malcoma was on the same rooftop as the Jedi Master, on one knee and hiding halfway behind an air conditioning unit that probably didn't work right considering the dull clunking noise that the fan periodically made. "They'll come," she promised, forgoing any jokes she could have made instead. "Don't get in that way just yet."

And they did, half an hour later.

"Judah," Mal hissed as she looked down at a pair of newcomers. Her gaze slid to Sonti, then over to a man sitting on the curb. He was rubbing his hands together in a vain attempt to keep warm, wrapped in layers of clothing riddled with holes. Malcoma typed a quick message on her wrist-chron, then he got up and wandered over into the soup line a few meters away.

Meanwhile, the newcomers slid into the cover of shadows in an adjoining alleyway with a good view of Sonti.

Down on the streets, Damris made note of the as well. He shuffled closer to Sonti as the line moved slowly. As he got to her, she was turned to another server who was ladling soup into the bowl that she had taken from a stack of them nearby. Once it was full, she turned around to hand it to Damris. "Thanks..." he muttered. She nodded before letting go of the dish, then suddenly, the undercover bodyguard fumbled it.

Obviously, knowing him, on purpose.

"Oh!" Sonti exclaimed. She instinctively both stepped back and put a hand out to call on the Force to stabilize the bowl in his hands again. Still, some soup had spilled over his sweater and the street.

"They're in the alleyway," Damris whispered to her.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom