Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You Truly Belong Here With Us Among The Clouds [Dev]

Tabaqui, Levantine Sanctum territory.
Outskirts of the Baloo Village.
Cecaelia Industrial , Ground Manufacturing.

A rather unusual building lay on the farthest outskirts of the rather primitive village of Baloo. Large, it loomed up like a giant mesa out of the gently rolling land. It was like no other most villagers had seen. At first, they had been wary. Now it was a standard fixture in their setting. with a number of locals visiting the structure for work daily. Today the work was more fast paced then usual. Orders for space station consoles had been shelved. Large crates had been arriving from nearby Laekia at an alarming rate. The crates contained the start of massively large engines. They were stacking up quickly. Raw goods, such as stacks of sheet metal and rolls of solder had arrived as well.

So many goods had arrived at the once sleepy Baloo Village facility that the outlying field surrounding the building had been mowed short. Crates were stacked outside, tarps securely fashioned to the wooden containers.

Inside locals worked on the facility floor. The engine starts were sitting on the floor, evenly spaced apart. Each engine had a group of workers assigned to each one, installing components on each. They worked quickly but there was an oddity for the Baloo Facility. Outsiders. Most workers were native to the planet. Yet in order to keep up with demand, employees from Salacia were shuffled to help with the Cecaelia. Ceto, Kesh, Etti IV, Fondor...all were well represented amongst the locals. Granted, it was a sum of credits to keep them out here. Good thing the facility was now operating at all hours of the day.

Hard hat on top of his mess of curls, Judah nearly had to shout to be heard. This facility was always extremely noisy for some reason.

"We've already built 5,000 of these engines. Only 30,000 more to go. Laekia production is trying out a new idea, modular construction. Trying to cut our time and costs down on site. Prototype stage really this entire venture."

Logistics could potentially be a pain, so Judah certainly wasn't doing this on his own. Naturally, Arceneau Trade Company would be doing the heavy lifting. Probably best to leave this to the professionals. Even if it was a 'donated' space station. Something about a potential art gallery and more in the Techno Union. Wasn't that entire area known as ASS just a few months ago?

Either way, Judah 'donated' a station. Got a tax write off. Got to experiment with new technology. He could only hope the picture stayed that promising.

[member="Danger Arceneau"] , [member="Darell Irani"] , [member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] , [member="Elias Truden"]

“Primitive” was not an adjective that appealed to the Countess unless you were referring to the primitive art of collection of House Bolleon or another such expensive antiquities collection. Mina was a city gal, and even though she had been raised on Gallinore, she considered herself full-blooded Coruscanti through and through.

But civilization in the form of some manufacturing facility lay ahead, thank the Maker. Countess Dahma was here to oversee the building of a new space station where the second Wilhemine Dahma Art Gallery would reside. Her flagship gallery was in CoCo Town, Corsucant, so while this store would be somewhat of a departure based on its more remote location, she was optimistic the venture would be lucrative.

Although some galaxians would scoff at the idea of an art gallery out in the middle of bumblekark space, Mina unbeknownst to the general public and lawful authorities, trafficked much more than actual art, so it would be helpful to have an outpost of sorts halfway across the galaxy.

This venture was the start of Mina's new business relationship with [member="Darell Irani"], the Duke of Derellium. He was also going to be stopping by for a tour of the facility at some point and she was very eager to run an idea by him. Since Derellium's main export was fine wines, she wanted to see if she could put a wine shop right by the gallery since the two went hand and hand. These may have seemed like insignificant plans for someone as wealthy as Mr. Irani but Mina had to start clawing her out of near-bankruptcy somehow.

The overseer of this whole operation was a man named [member="Judah Dashiell"]. The Countess didn’t know much about him, but grateful to be out of the savagely remove village and into an actual building with workers, bustling activity and stimcaf, she requested his company for a quick tour of the facility. Then she would let him get back to work while she waited for Irani. Perhaps they could find a nice place for dinner which did not consist of a roast boar on a spit among scantily clad natives.

[member="Danger Arceneau"] [member="Elias Truden"]

Celestia Orbital Station
Browncoat Arms & Industrial, Research & Development

"Aurodium, Ma'am." Veran said plainly, "Aurum wires and sensors will be what will catch on as the solar panels." the research and developer would explain over to Danger, the large holographic design of the new sustainable product prototype that would be as strong as glasteel but also provide the solar energy needed for whatever manner of use it would function for.

"Laying them out in this gridlike manner would mimic that of the solar sails seen on some starships." Solar sailers were a method of propulsion used by some starships. Although called "solar" sailers, they were more commonly propelled by tachyon streams and ultraviolet lasers rather than the photons and "solar wind" (high-energy plasma which escaped a star's gravity) of sunlight. Gathered on a sufficiently large surface (solar sails would unfurl to colossal diameters, rivaling the surface area of moons), the absorbed momentum would then accelerate the spacecraft. Once optimal velocity had been reached, the hyperdrive motivator would kick in and allow the craft to enter hyperspace.

"Or Solar panels," which were used to harvest solar energy much like the TIE fighters and most of their other variations. Now Browncoat Arms & Industrial was attempting to use the same technology but advance it -- interwoven in recycled materials that would then be lined with Aurodium from Arceneau Trade Company's mines.

" ... with this we've seen in early studies an increase in solar cell performance by at last 10 percent, and it is increasing." Studies have discovered that a small molecule created with 144 atoms of aurodium or gold can increase solar cell performance by more than 10 percent. Refining this would only increase the performance, and that was a performance that Arceneau along with Salacia Consolidated were keen on expanding.

Not to mention, a tiny bit of aurodium or gold upon the would be new glassteel could also reduce glare. The discovery was accidental, but the results were promising.

[member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] [member="Judah Dashiell"]

Tabaqui, Levantine Sanctum territory
In Orbit
Iron Crown Enterprises

Ships and their components. That was what Iron Crown was good at. It had taken me weeks to realize the importance of the redhead trade queen’s question about if I had built ships before. At the time I had told her that building ships was alien to me and only a few weeks later after reading the actual reports on what ICE did with it’s money did I figure why her reaction was called for.

We were good at supplying ships. More specifically we were really good at supplying the Fringe nations with frigates or parts of them as well as the other what-have-you when it came to military equipment. Was I a man of war? No, but I was supplying people with the cause and means for it. So perhaps by extension I truly was an unwilling and unknowing man of war.

“Here’s that drink, Mister Truden.”

“What?” I shook myself out of it as I brushed the idle pondering aside and let my mind return to the present. “Hm?”

A single sip and the insides of my mouth was set on fire. I tried to cough it up but it was too late. The slow burning as liquid pain ran down my throat caused me to slow down into a crawl. My assistant stared at me as if she had just seen a man get murdered in broad daylight.

“I’m so sorry! Sorry!” Her hand rested on my hunched shoulder. For all things considered she may be inexperienced but that was a thing I could easily see fixed over time.

“It’s okay! I’m okay. Better luck next time, Nessa.” Besides, I didn’t have the heart to fire someone over mistakes. At least not small ones like these. “What did you have for me?”

“Shareholders pushed for a new move.” She handed me a datapad. “Say hello to Mister Irani’s new pet project.”

I chuckled, comments like these were exactly why I hired her. “I don’t know, he always finds a way to make it not a pet project. What’s up?”

“They’re building a station around here. We’ve been asked to come help.”

“Oh.” I looked at the pad for a second. “Who the hell is [member="Judah Dashiell"]?”

We both shrugged.

“Ah well, you coming along?” She shook her head. “Oh, my loss then.”

I stepped into the smaller shuttle that’d take me to my designated meeting spot. ‘Nessa was half of my organization at this point. It was a miracle she agreed to be paid what she was being paid. I put it to note to rectify that later. Maybe a paid vacation?

Nah, she was too important for such things.

{ [member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"] | [member="Darell Irani"] }

Hira Mitsae

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
It was a known issue with Darell Irani, the pet projects to be more specific, but somehow he always managed to make out a profit from it in the end. Perhaps it was a talent, though he was pretty sure that Gerion would consider it more the stretching of the fabric of reality. A dangerous endeavor if anything and Irani wasn’t really sure if he was even capable of such a thing, but the passing musings of a bureaucrat couldn’t be stopped, and so Darell simply endured them.

Because that’s what you do for friends, you endure their issues and mistakes.

The creation of a city space station where people would be able to come together, spend money all in the name of capitalism? That wasn’t a pet project though, that was the purest makings of sense, a way for the holy Credit to burn with even more intensity in the territories of the Techno Union.

And so it was that Darell traveled to the pre-arranged meeting place, where the various members of the capitalistic committee would come together and discuss this endeavor. He would be the one bankrolling the entire thing, which was fine with him- he had cash to burn anyway.

Other people in attendance would be Arceneau, she was everywhere these days and he wasn’t surprised he would find her here too, his own hired CEO Truden, Dashiell and the Countess Wilhelmine. All pleasant people in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, this would be a good day.

A day to earn some good ol’ cash.

[member="Elias Truden"] [member="Danger Arceneau"] [member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] [member="Judah Dashiell"]

“Why there you are, Mr. Irani,” said the Countess, her dulcet voice like a musical instrument cutting through all of the clamor of industry around them. She floated over to the Duke and air-kissed him on both cheeks. Wilhelmine Dahma wore elbow-length satin gloves, an artistically tailored, high-collared dress and of course, a fanciful hat:

nFZ4tmzl.jpg

“I’m afraid I don’t know a soul here and have been waiting for a Dashiell fellow, but I run into you instead. How fortuitous,” she said, her bright red lips arching into a smile. “Now I don’t have to feel so alone. I have you to show me around.”

Of course the Countess was never alone. She always had a bodyguard or occasionally some type of guard creature around her, depending upon the circustances. Today it was her Nautolan bodyguard Krikor, the one she had brought when she visited the Duke at his estate on Derellium. She raised a well-penciled eyebrow up, waved her hand dramatically and said:

“Now, Mr. Irani. You know what I want to do with our space station. What do you see there up shining in the stars besides the second Wilhelmine Dahma Gallery?"

[member="Danger Arceneau"] [member="Elias Truden"] [member="Darell Irani"] [member="Judah Dashiell"]

[member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] | [member="Darell Irani"] | [member="Elias Truden"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"]

"Mr. Dashiell? Excuse me...Mr. Dashiell?" An aid with a datapad in hand was trying to get the attention of the man who seemed to be chatting near the loud machinery. How he could hear was beyond her. This is why she preferred to stay in the 'comfort' of the offices on site. If one could call them comfortable, they were nothing compared to the luxurious facilities on Ceto or Etti IV.

"MR. DASHIELL!!"

Sometimes a girl had to yell to be heard.

Judah turned, mildly amused. The facility sectary looked frazzled. Perhaps it was time to replace that one. Clearly Tabaqui was getting to her. It took a special person to live out here for any length of time. While the natives were not half-dressed savages, the planet remained very....'rural'. Mainly collections of villages and towns. While most ignored Tabaqui, Judah and the Kerrigan-Alcori family's venture known as Firemane had been setting up shop. Towns near the facilities normally got a little boost.

They were near New Arrah, still a relative ghost town. At least there was an unspoiled beach. And a fishing village. Nothing like bartering local fisherman for right out of the water seafood. His visitors might have a few issues with that. Judah had noted most who owned corporations were far removed from the more rural operations. More of the skyscraper types.

"Visitors have arrived."

Heading for the exit, Judah found himself thrust into the warm and somewhat blinding mid-day sunshine. Was that woman wearing a weird, tilted hat? Instant appreciation washed over him that Thessa wasn't a tilted hat type of woman. Realizing he still had the hard hat one, Judah took it off quickly before reaching his guests on the landing pad.

Hand outstretched in greeting, smile on his face.

"Welcome to Tabaqui, I'm Judah Dashiell. Its a pleasure that you've all come out to this end of the galaxy. I'm sure it will also give you a chance to enjoy Celestia Station, it might be a touch more civilized, depending on your point of view."

Before Mr. Irani could respond, a man approached them and welcomed them to Tabaqui and Celestia Station. Difficult as it was, the Countess tore her gaze away from the Duke of Derellium and faced the envoy who received them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Dashiell," the Countess said in a honeyed voice. She accepted his hand and shook it as was customary on some planets, although the Countess, being the faux royalty she was, would have preferred he had kissed her hand instead. "It can be interesting to see how the other half lives," she mused.

She looked at the construction hat, tucked under his arm and asked, "Are you the engineer of this whole operation? If so, can you give us a tour of the space station? I want to see everything... blueprints, all of those little bits and parts that fit into each other and then perhaps the floor plans. And especially where the Wilhelmine Dahma Gallery is going to go. I hope you don't find my interests too single-minded but we're all here for our own reasons, are we not, Mr. Dashiell?"

[member="Danger Arceneau"] [member="Elias Truden"] [member="Darell Irani"] [member="Judah Dashiell"]

Celestia Orbital Station

Most ships would use Transparissteel, a hard and completely transparent metal alloy. Transparisteel was much weaker than its opaque counterpart durasteel, but less than glasteel. Glasteel on the other hand was as strong as durasteel, and the transparent material was often used to form the large windows of space scapers, or more recently, space ships.

The new alloy would be just as strong as glasteel, but like transparissteel, made phototropic to become more opaque near bright explosions, while traveling through hyperspace, and such. A major component in the make-up of transparisteel was lommite. Loommite mines with Browncoat Arms and Industrial along with Mohc Extractives will provide a method to retain this ability. Not to mention, the light dusting of Aurodium and gold for that anti glare and solar energy charge up.

There was also the consideration of being able to add Absorbital, a blaster proof substance over as an additional coat. What would really make this work, however, were the Girondium and colium for the ultra-high efficiency solar wires and cells in conjunction with the Aurodium.

[member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"] | [member="Elias Truden"] | [member="Darell Irani"]

An amused smile greeted one Miss Dahma after her questions. It was going to be a interesting experience with this one, Judah could tell. If he remembered correctly, the woman was a Countess or something similar. Didn't exactly take the time to brush up on titles and resumes of those coming to visit this phase of the construction today. Why should he? They did just come to stare at hunks of metal parts that were still in the early phases of development.

"Engineer? No ma'am. CEO of Salacia Consolidated, this here is the work of one of our subsidiaries." Judah motioned to the warehouse behind him. "What you see here is a drop in the bucket. Engines, tractor beams, and small various parts are all being made here. Our Laekia operations are handing some of the more larger modular components that will make up the station."

"Now, we still have the blueprints here. Tour is my pleasure. Afterwords a shuttle can take you to Celestia Station above us and let you get an idea for the work we've done before, even though thats a space station. Nearly the same thing."

The shuttle carried me onwards. While the idea of what my company did as a business had certainly dawned on me I still felt like I was somewhat in the dark. I looked at the empty passenger seat. Nessa should have come with just in case I go mess it somehow. Unless I didn’t mess it up, then her presence would be in vain. It was a mental argument like that of a child, did I want the red balloon that spelled embarrassment or the purple one that spelled different embarrassment?

I straightened the cuffs of my shirt and jacket. I had this, I thought I would mess up royally with my ‘run-in’ with [member="Danger Arceneau"] and I got out of it far less scar-riddled than I had expected at first. Yeah, it was time to just nut up and do this business thingamajig proper.

“Are we there yet?” I called out to the driver who hand waved at me. “Thanks anyway.”

It took a bit but eventually the ship touched ground. First step: Find [member="Judah Dashiell"]. After that: Help out.

[member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] | [member="Darell Irani"]
I am so sorry for the wait!

“This is all so intriguing,” the Countess said in a tone that sounded anything but intrigued. In fact with her restless gaze and wandering eye back to Mr. Irani to see what he was up to, Mr. Dashiell would get the distinct feeling that she was downright bored, until he admitted to be a CEO. Then her interest perked right up.

She beamed a smile with her bright red lips and said, “CEO of Salacia Consolidated and with operations in Laekia.” This time she sounded more genuine when she said, “Oh let's just leave the Duke over there, and you and I can take the tour together alone. He looks rather busy,” she said, blocking the CEO’s view of what the Duke was even doing because presumably he was standing there waiting for a tour as well. She turned her head around and gave her bodyguard a signal to stay back. “I don’t need protection now that I’m with you, Mr. Dashiell,” she said. “But I do have to ask, what are the defenses on the station specifically?”

Which was a strange question for an art dealer, he may think. But the Countess had many interests she needed to protect and making sure there was a strong shield generator protecting the floating conglomerate of businesses and shops was of great importance to her.

[member="Wilhelmine Dahma"] | [member="Danger Arceneau"] | [member="Elias Truden"] | [member="Darell Irani"]

Judah raised an eyebrow at the woman. Indeed, she was one of those 'arty' types one heard about. Between flitting between himself and the other man on the tour (Darell), came questions. He expected questions of course. The defense question was a rather interesting one. He didn't expect that to be the first question, Judah was anticipating something more along the lines of the potential gallery building.

"Miss Dahma, this is a civilian station. It will hold against pirates but don't expect it to last against any military exercises. There are shields in place. If you are worried about the control room,then it is highly suggested you place arm guards at the doors."

Another shuttle had landed just as Judah was about to take Miss Dahma on the tour of the facility. Were they expecting another person? Judah couldn't quite remember at the moment.

"Excuse me, it looks like another guest has arrived. Better usher him along with us on the tour."

Judah saw the ramp touch down on Tabaqui soil. Hopefully this wasn't another art dealer.

As the shuttle touched down, Jorus squinted through the viewport, cybernetic eye enhancing and magnifying the view. [member="Judah Dashiell"] -- a longtime acquaintance, maybe close enough to call a friend. Someone whose work Jorus trusted, certainly, and for a project like this...

...well, trust was indispensable. These stations, if he'd heard it right, had the potential to make academic, exploratory, and combat bases out of pretty much any gas giant or death world. At three and a half klicks to a side, with thirty-five thousand engines, they didn't come cheap. But good raider bases were more about total value destroyed and salvaged -- a quality crew could keep a base like this operational just on the take from privateer operations. And while he could imagine using these stations for the Underground's purposes, he was here representing another interest entirely: the Levantine Astronautical Academy.

Leaving the shuttle's postflight in the hands of his cadet crew, Jorus disembarked. He'd worn a Levantine Frontier Corps captain's uniform, and he was starting to regret it. Warm day.

"Hey there, Dashiell," he said as he approached, offering a handshake.

Judah was greeted by an officer of the Levantine Frontier Corps. He had seen them around during his expanded business dealings in the Sanctum. A brilliant idea if there ever was one in the sector. Plenty to explore in the area. Plenty worth defending as well. Either way, he was surprised to see one [member="Jorus Merrill"] stepping out to greet him.

It was nice to see the LAA interested in such a development. There was quite a bit of potential to be had with the station. With someone like Merrill at the helm it could easily go further than first planned. With the modular design it was easy enough to strip one building of an interior and completely change it for something else. Manufacturing was merely a logical suggestion -- a selling point Judah had been using.

"Captain Merrill, nice of you to come out this way" Judah reached and took his hand, offering a warm smile and a firm grip as he spoke. "Rarely does Tabaqui see the likes of your Academy, not that we aren't holding our own out here with Firemane Industries."

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

"Times change." Jorus hooked his thumbs in his belt. "And for the better, I'm hoping. I've got an offer for you, pending a few things figured out. These stations you're buildings -- the Academy's interested in picking one up as an outbound waypoint, a safe spot for long-distance cadet missions. There's a system we've got our eye on that's got a gas giant with good accessibility, good positioning."

He chucked his chin in the direction of the manufacturing outfit. Always a tricky thing, bringing mass production to a place like this. Always problematic -- but dismissing something as problematic was a pretty good way to avoid actually tackling the problem. And on balance, Dashiell was supposed to be a pretty decent employer, whether at Laekian or Tabaquian rates of pay. "I hear you're doing the big work out at Laekia, and the whole thing's modular so there's not much to see, but if you've got a holo walkthrough or something I could look at on the Academy's behalf, I'd be much obliged." He'd done his time with modular station design and construction -- shipyards, mainly. He'd know what he was looking at.

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"Actually, I am fairly certain I have a better business proposition for you about this station. We can discuss it further off the shop floor."

Judah inclined his head towards the manufacturing facility and slowly started to wander in the direction of the building. Hard hat went back on his head as he walked side-by-side with Merrill. This waypoint seemed like an interesting venture. Judah always preferred when the planets of the Sanctum were left wild and free as much as possible. A little waypoint above a giant giant was exactly what he had in mind when these designs first came to light.

A hardhat went in Merrill's direction. Hopefully the man would understand. Insurance regulations and all.

"We're heading to the offices now. You'll see as we pass through our production on the engines. It was easier to manufacture them here, most of the employees here are used to assembly and light manufacturing. Fairly decent at it too, they are pushing through faster than I could have on Ceto or Fondor. Saves on shipping rates too, we're just a skip away from Laekia."

"You've seen some of our modular works on Laekia? You're right, not much to see right now but metal hunks."

Celestia Orbital Station

"The best thing about it is that we can use salvaged and recycled materials." her Director of Innovation along with that of Research & Development. A large holographic map would come to life around the wide open expanse of the room. Danger would amble slowly as he would continue to explain.

"With the scout and surveying Mara TibX, Mohc Extractives, and Browncoat Industrial has done the past few years, we have created a data repository of all the planets with salvagable material. Some of these planets have been hit hard since the event, and would be keen on selling this material for credits, food, and daily needs. We can even get them to be part of a mass recycling system. Perhaps partner with Browncoat to along these worlds to construct these recycling and salvage plants.

Not to mention, partnering with Salacia Consolidated also opens up utilizing their expertise already in the green market in order to maximize sustainability and ensure we have as green of a product as possible."

[member="Judah Dashiell"]

"Looking forward to it." Jorus put on the hard hat expertly and quickly as he followed Judah inside; his boots were already steeltoes. Force, did this ever bring him back -- to the early days of Silk Holdings, turning designs into functional ships. What a feeling of contribution, of accomplishment, of creation, even when looking at something as mundane as an engine assembly line. At a guess, he knew what Dashiell was feeling about this project and this business. He couldn't do better than a guess, of course: he didn't have the telepathy or empathy to know for sure, and wouldn't have used it if he did. sSo he focused on the factory, experienced eyes noting the level of quality involved, indicators only clear to someone who'd been in the manufacturing business for a long time. And what he saw, he liked.

"Yeah, I came from Laekia. The Academy's in orbit, at Oswaft Station, and I ran a shipload of cadets down for shore leave on my way here. Did a flyby over your modular yards -- you've done well for yourself, and I liked what I saw. I used to do modular stations myself. Built whole planetary shipyards that way, out of just three or four kinds of segments."

[member="Jorus Merrill"]

"Thank you. Its not everyday we get compliments from someone as high-ranking as yourself."

Jorus was, after all, the once owner of one of the largest companies in the 'verse. To build something from nothing and get it to be incredibly profitable and popular? Not an easy feat in the slightest. Sparks showered toward him as thy continued to walk past the engine assembly line, bringing him back to the present. They were getting closer to the bank of offices and hopefully cooler conditions. Even the industrial sized fans in the work space couldn't cut the humidity that graced the planet.

"As you know, the modular certainly cuts down on costs. Don't have to do castings for millions of small pieces, like we do with droids or say this engine assembly. Most of the durasteel coming out of that line is ready to merely be wielded in place. With the city top though, a few key buildings will be built on site. Their design is a bit more freeform and meant to draw interest."

Reaching the door to his office, Judah swung it open for Jorus. There would be nothing exciting or luxurious inside. It was all quite standard. A desk, a few chairs, several filing cabinets holding banks of digital and physical information. Drawings done by his son were neatly taped onto the metal sides, about the only personalization he had down in the Tabaqui offices. At least the air was machine cooled and dehumidified.

"Take a seat and I'll get the information on the station for you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom