Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Yai'vhey-class Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image: Here
teir2gallentedestroyer_celshaded.png

Credit: Eve Online

Intent: To create a support corvette that can deploy Space Mines

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Yai'vhey-class Corvette (“Womb full of Ordnance” in Galactic Basic)
Affiliation: Mandalorian Navy, Hyperion Security, Open Market,
Modularity: None
Production: Minor Production
Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, and other common construction materials

Description:
Lightly armed and armored, the Yai'vhey Corvette is a specialized support frigate for the Mandalorian Navy and other interested parties. The ship has a split-hull design with a flanking structure to the left and right of the main hull. To the rear of these two structures are launch bays used for the deployment of Space Mines. Once the interior crew, droids, and cargo tractor beams have managed to activate the mines and safely launch them from the craft, a series of six light tractor beam projectors take hold of the small mines and strategically position them at their appropriate place in the minefield being deployed by the corvette. Each mine deployed via this craft is armed either via a physical timer or a remote activation signal, enabling the Yai'vhey Corvette to safely deploy its payload without risk of blowing itself up. This design allows for an extremely efficient deployment and uniform placement of mines, but requires that the ship move at relatively slow speeds while deploying mines and limits the ship to deploying only 6 mines at a time. While the mines can be armed prematurely or deployed at a faster than normal rate, doing as much will often end in disaster either by risking a premature detonation or the mines themselves colliding with one another. Furthermore, simply 'dumping' the entire complement of mines out the back of the hanger bays is a terrible, terrible idea that (at the very least) results in a very poor dispersion pattern and leaves the rapidly dispersing mines hurling through space at whatever speed the Corvette was moving at.

The Vai'vhey Corvette is capable of operating behind enemy lines where it can deploy minefields in shipping lanes, thus disrupting the crucial logistical train of an enemy fleet. The ship was built to utilize any common mine, including contact mines, proximity mines, sleeper mines, seeker mines, and ion mines, but can also handle most specialty mines as well. The ship can hold approximately 2,000 standard contact mines. More powerful or more complex mines are typically larger than standard contact mines and take up more space. As such, when equipped with sleeper mines, proximity mines, or seeker mines the ship can only hold between 800 and 1,600 mines, depending on the size and type. There is a central cargo hold on the main hull of the ship that is usually used for storing food and supplies for the crew. There are two large cargo-bay doors on the port and starboard of the central hull, which allows for rapid resupply at a friendly shipyard or from specialized cargo vessels. When time is sensitive, the rear hanger doors can be opened to allow for quicker resupply of ordnance, though can quickly become more of a hassle than it is worth as hovering cargo-loaders and load-masters struggle to get every crate of supplies and ordnance delivered to the correct location and recorded as such. On more than one occasion this has resulted in a kitchen sink being deployed instead of a mine, and the untimely death of a very unlucky plumber.

Classification: Corvette
Role: Support Corvette
Height: 36 meters
Width: 105 meters
Length: 180 meters
Power Core Generator/Reactor: Solar Ionization Reactor
Hyperdrive Rating: 2 (10 backup)
Minimum Crew: 50
Optimal Crew: 250

Armament Rating: 10

Armament
This ship arms itself to defend against patrolling enemy starfighters with a heavy complement of Laser Cannons and Mass-Driver Flak Cannons arranged in port and starboard broadsides.

Hangar: None
Non-Combative Attachments:
(6) Light Tractor Beam Projectors
Ray Shielding
Particle Shielding
Short-Range Encrypted HoloNet Transceiver
Standard Sensor Suite; including Aural Sensor
Small Medical Bay

Passenger Capacity: 100 Marines
Cargo Capacity: 2,000 Tons
Consumables: 4 Months
Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 5 (2.0 Guide) 9 (3.0 Guide)

Captain Larraq said:
Equipped with a sensor mask, the Vai'vhey Corvette is capable of operating behind enemy lines where it can deploy minefields in shipping lanes, thus disrupting the crucial logistical train of an enemy fleet. The ship can hold several hundred to a few thousand mines at a time and is equipped with large cargo-bay doors on the port and starboard of the central hull, which allows for rapid resupply of ordnance at a friendly shipyard or from specialized cargo vessels.
This ship doesn't require a sensor mask to do this and the deploying mines would give it away if hostiles are present anyways, and several hundred to a few thousand is a huge variation, I'll need a more specific number or a reason for the variation.
@[member="Captain Larraq"]

@[member="Domino"]

Canon Space Mines are described as being "Usually around one meter in diameter". The variation in the number of mines that the corvette can hold would be due to different types of mines taking up more or less space than one another. Some weaker mines might be around 1 ton each. The ship would be able to hold about 2,000 such mines. Larger and heavier mines would take up more space in the cargo hold, and smaller and weaker mines would take up less space and allow for a larger number of mines. I was thinking between 500 and 3,000 mines depending on the type that the ship was carrying at the time. With mines ranging from 0.5 tons to 5.0 tons each.

One of the canon types of Space Mines are called Sleeper mines and possess a nondescript form of stealth technology. I had included the sensor mask to help the ship when deploying such mines. I agree though, the sensor mask won't even come close to saving the ship if hostiles are nearby. I had intended the ship to avoid combat wherever possible and to utilize the sensor mask to help it avoid patrols as it searches for 'just the right spot' to start deploying. But it's not a major aspect of the design. So if you want it gone, I'll remove it.

The sensor mask needs to be gone.
You should also list out the mines you'll be using and how many they can carry if you don't want to just put out an arbitrary number, and at 108m you wont be carrying thousands of any of them.

Okay, you've made the requested edits and taken this from a ship I was very leery of accepting to one I'm sure will not be abused.
Approved pending secondary.
Whocares_d792a6aa7427ecbf8885c6d0d4353d67_zpsf91fd854.jpg

This better not be some plumber/mine smuggling racket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom