Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech X13 Paladin-series Synthmarine

Status
Not open for further replies.
uWg78kU.jpg

eOqAQ6k.jpg
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: The Globex Corporation
  • Affiliation: Open-Market
  • Model: X13 Paladin-series Synthmarine
  • Modularity: Significant; cosmetic alterations, inbuilt weapons can be swapped (e.g., exchanging wrist rockets with grenades or a flamethrower; wrist blasters with charrics), certain VIP models (X<1% of total production) have inbuilt personal shield generators, etc. The truly eccentric (hello Cara Dorniarn Cara Dorniarn ) could replace the droid brain in its entirety, say, with an organic alternative of some sort.
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Laser-Reflective Duraplast, Glasteel, Droid Components.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • A Synthmarine's droid brain is located in its upper torso and its power core in its central torso; sensors, vocabulators, and comms are located in the sunken head section, while miscellanoeus components are kept in the lower torso. Arms and legs primarily hold servomotor, weaponry, and various utility functions. Synthmarines can remain sort of functional even without a head, but their sensors would be severely limited and comms/speech nullified entirely. Loss of limbs would result in spilled coolant fluid until contingencies kick in and a decrease in combat performance, with a potential for cascading effects leading to total incapacitation of the unit.
  • The droid brain of a Synthmarine is reasonably advanced, being capable of lightning-fast reactions and in-depth evaluations; it is not, however, creative or independent, acting primarily on ironclad principles rather than machine-learning and creativity. Improvements come about through changes to its programming or more often periodical updates to engagement protocols, not in-the-field adaptations.
  • Synthmarines have a small receptacle built into their backs that is able to hold and charge an Eyebot for recon purposes.
  • Synthmarines often carry inbuilt medkits, though they lack the tactile finesse to provide anything beyond basic first aid.
STRENGTHS
  • Cataphract: Synthmarines are nearly impervious to small arms fire (at least from standard blasters), have no exposed gaps or joints to speak of, and may be able to shoot down incoming projectiles thanks to the integrated Soteria. They can even survive glancing lightsaber strikes!
  • Murderbot: Unfeeling and inexorable, with near-flawless accuracy unimpeded by the frailties of the flesh or self-doubt and a reaction time measured in the milliseconds, Synthmarines are killing machines, plain and simple.
  • Iron Fists: While not the most agile or creative of combatants, the raw strength of heavy-duty servomotors is more than the overwhelming majority of unmodified organics could ever hope to face head-on.
WEAKNESSES
  • Scrupulous: Given the potential havoc a rogue unit could cause and their frequent use as security droids, Synthmarines are bound by restrictive rules of engagement and lack even the slightest hint of feeling or individuality; learn to fight one, learn to fight them all.
  • More Dakka: While remarkably resistant to small arms fire, heavier weapons - especially explosives - will take down Synthmarines reliably. The same can be said for disruptors and direct lightsaber strikes, though these are not available to the average soldier.
DESCRIPTION
Serving as the armoured fist of the Globex Security Division, X13 Paladin-series Synthmarines are the epitome of lethal efficiency, designed to match or exceed organic soldiers rather than serve as a cheap alternative. While the corporation itself, especially the Division that designed it, would argue that "each Synthmarine is worth ten men on the field", the truth is naturally more complicated; the droids are durable, deadly, and extremely meticulous, but also famously predictable, even by battle droid standards.

As an example of their scrupulous nature, 99.9% of Synthmarines are hardcoded to avoid harm to noncombatants - certain exceptions exist, most prominently when dealing with "human shields", though this is only when inaction would lead to more fatalities (e.g., about to activate a bomb while holding a hostage) or when a Formal Statement of Necessity is verbally issued, after which a ten second surrender period is mandated...

... once it expires, a Synthmarine will always take the shot. It is, in other words, a coldly calculating deterrent; not infrequently, a hostage taker will surrender at this point or move in a panic, giving the droid a clear shot.

Synthmarines are almost always programmed to shield allied organics, with their own bodies if necessary.

Last edited:
Dumb but sturdy droids. Essentially Himbos. I like.

So, only issue I have is that the weakness mentions they can not be fielded en mass, but they are still mass produced. Since this isn't a weakness that will likely be followed, I'll ask that it be removed or reduce the production down to minor. Also the hueristic processors sorta imply their learning capacity is greater than the description implies. I would remove those as well for the sake of balance.

AMCO AMCO

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

So, only issue I have is that the weakness mentions they can not be fielded en mass, but they are still mass produced. Since this isn't a weakness that will likely be followed, I'll ask that it be removed or reduce the production down to minor.

Fair enough, considered making them Minor but I want the option to, say, include them as security for Mass-Produced ships. Removed the weakness and moved the Spiderbots to Links as a sort of comparison to more swarm-based droids, but otherwise made no further changes.

Also the hueristic processors sorta imply their learning capacity is greater than the description implies. I would remove those as well for the sake of balance.

Again, fair enough; redid the Special Features point about their droid brain to make it more clear that they aren't simply "move, point, shoot" machines but capable of actual tactics, while at the same time clarifying that they're not exactly groundbreaking in their approach. To put it mildly.

It should be noted that it is possible to replace its droid brain (see Modularity"), but that's less "an actual option when buying these" more "something eccentric engineers with a penchant for personalisation will do regardless of what the warranty says". To be clear, if I ever intend for this to be more than "a quirk to appease an unusual client" to the point of being objectively better, I'd make a new submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom