Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild West Ruleset Update #1: Dominions

DOMINIONS

Dominions allow Major Factions to claim entire hexes without direct competition from other factions.

At any point, a Major Faction may acquire an adjacent SWRP Chaos Map hex by completing a Dominion thread, posting to the Map Update thread, and receiving Staff approval.

A Dominion thread’s title must include the name or acronym of the Major Faction, and the name of a planet visible in the hex.

A Major Faction may begin and work toward any number of simultaneous Dominions. However, a Major Faction may only submit three completed Dominions every calendar month.

A Dominion may only be started on a hex adjacent to the Major Faction’s influence cloud.

INVOLVING OTHER FACTIONS

Other Major or Minor Factions may not interfere with a Dominion thread. They may participate as In-Character aid or opposition with the approval of the Faction Admins/Owner of the Major Faction undertaking the Dominion

REBELLIONS

The third Dominion submitted by a Major Faction in a calendar month is vulnerable to Rebellions (see Rebellion Rules).

If a Major Faction fails to complete a Dominion within 30 days of starting it, another Major Faction may initiate a Rebellion in that Dominion.

FLASHPOINTS

If two Major Factions submit Dominions for the same hex within 24 hours, and both are approved, a Flashpoint (see Flashpoint Rules) will begin in that hex.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

Once a Major Faction has posted a completed Dominion thread to the Map Update thread, an Admin will assign an RPJ to judge whether the thread meets the following criteria. The RPJ will sign the ‘Approval’ field in the Map Update template, or will contact the submitter if further work is needed.

Criteria:
  • STORY - Does the Dominion thread have a story (or group of stories) that makes sense and that comes to a reasonable conclusion?
  • REPRESENTATION - How well is the Faction represented in the Dominion thread? For example, if two members post the bulk of the thread back-to-back, the Dominion is unlikely to be approved without more work from other Faction members.
  • EFFORT - How much effort has the Faction put into the thread? As a general guideline, 50 average posts is an acceptable effort. A lower number of posts may be acceptable if clear effort has resulted in solid stories that reach a natural conclusion. Spammed posts with minimal effort will count against the Faction.
DOMINIONS
Hex Gained: (Please specify exact Hex coordinate)
Name Of The Faction That Won: (Fully name the Faction correctly)
Link To Dominion: (Insert Dominion Thread URL)
Number Of Posts The Dominion Has At The Current Time: (Insert Post Count Here)
RPJ Approval: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name when it has been approved)

Take-aways:

1. Rebellions are used less as a tool of punishment and more as a time constraint/mitigation.
2. We're getting rid of tiers. Simplifying it down to just hexes.
3. Flashpoints - a new ruleset - are being worked into Dominions.
4. Doing away with post limits and caring about who posts what - the focus is on roleplaying! But now they get judged for if its a spamfest, just two people carrying the faction on its back, or an actual dominion in the spirit of the map game.

Last but not least - hexes are being proposed to be reduced to 1/3 of their current size. No faction will lose its current influence cloud, and we are not wiping the map.

Give us your feedback, these rules are not finalized.

[member="Tefka"]
I love this idea, except I'm concerned about the planet per hex restrictions that come with a reduced hex size. Will the maximum planet per hex ratio stay the same, or be shrunken proportionately?

I like these changes a lot. It gives a major faction just starting out a means by which to expand and gives risk if factions (new or old) are wanting to move fast.

My only concern is the reduction or removal of posts required for something the size of a hex, maybe a set minimum on that whether it be 50 or 75, open house beyond that.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Tefka"]

Do these rules cover the currently ongoing dominions or just the ones that start after this announcement has been made?

As in if at this point there are ongoing dominions older than 30 days can we initiate rebellions on them? Also can dominions of hexes containing capital planets be rebelled?

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]

Coci Heavenshield said:
I like these changes a lot. It gives a major faction just starting out a means by which to expand and gives risk if factions (new or old) are wanting to move fast.

My only concern is the reduction or removal of posts required for something the size of a hex, maybe a set minimum on that whether it be 50 or 75, open house beyond that.

You may want to peep the Effort Victory Condition.

EFFORT - How much effort has the Faction put into the thread? As a general guideline, 50 average posts is an acceptable effort.

Seems like a way to simply fill up the map and rush for more invasions. Personally not a fan of this nor the fact all dominions must now be torn apart and judged. The fact of there no longer being a post limit is iffy to me. While this means that people can now focus on story, it no longer gives a clear idea on what qualifies as a completed dominion to the Judge put in charge of it. It also requires judges now to actually go through and read every dominion that is done, which will cause their attention to be more on others rather than their own threads and kill their own activity more so than already.

Tanomas Graf

T
[member="Charr"]

To be perfectly honest, I'm all for judges having to go through dominions. It's part of their job description.

meme-kermit-drinking-tea-but-thats-none-of-business.png

Overall, I like the idea of changing the rules for dominions and am all for it.

Charr said:
Seems like a way to simply fill up the map and rush for more invasions. Personally not a fan of this nor the fact all dominions must now be torn apart and judged. The fact of there no longer being a post limit is iffy to me. While this means that people can now focus on story, it no longer gives a clear idea on what qualifies as a completed dominion to the Judge put in charge of it. It also requires judges now to actually go through and read every dominion that is done, which will cause their attention to be more on others rather than their own threads and kill their own activity more so than already.
Imagine a map with hexes 1/3 the area of the current size. Now consider that a Faction is limited to 3 hexes per month. That's not expansion at a much greater rate than now. We took the time to draw up some maps and examples of expansion over time as we settled on these rules.

Charr said:
It also requires judges now to actually go through and read every dominion that is done
From the perspective of someone who has done this with invasions before, unless a dominion is upwards 800 posts it isn't going to take an exorbitantly long amount of time to read through 50-150 posts and decide whether or not the dominion is fine or not.

But then again, I'm a robot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom