Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Wielding the Weapon

bWMGgIz.png
Valery: Appearance
Outfit: Factory Link
Lightsabers: Link!
Ship: Factory link
Tag: Iris Arani Iris Arani
8:15 am
With the Jedi Code covered, Iris' training to become a Jedi had officially started. But being a Jedi involves much more than understanding the philosophy they live by. Knowing when to act or not was a vital skill to develop, but learning the skills necessary to be effective in the field was as well. This meant that the young girl would have to elaborately study the Force and its applications, but also train with the lightsaber, the weapon and symbol of the Jedi.
Today, her lightsaber training would finally begin.
<Transmission>
"Padawan Arani, please meet me at the training grounds in 15. Bring a training lightsaber."
Valery hoped that Iris had gotten used to her change in schedule at this point, so the earlier morning training wouldn't be a problem. She herself had already warmed up and gone through her own basic training routine, so she was ready to teach her Padawan something new. She took her place in the center of the dueling ring, and stood with her hands behind her back while she enjoyed the breeze of fresh air.
There, she would wait for Iris' arrival.
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

<Transmission>
"Padawan Arani, please meet me at the training grounds in 15. Bring a training lightsaber."

For once, Iris was awake. She didn't want to miss a message from her master, not again. She'd learned a lot as of late, more than she figured she would. Then again, with the galaxy at war there wasn't time to take it slow. And the young girl wanted to help as much as she possibly could. So this lesson? It was the start of so much more than just on how to use a lightsaber. She rushed out, snatching the training saber she'd been working on to head to the training grounds.

Once there, she bowed her head towards Valery, smiling bright.

"Alright! I'm here!"

bWMGgIz.png
After the call was made, Valery quietly stood in the center of the training grounds to wait for her Padawan. This time, the girl arrived early even - she had likely rushed her way over. It showed her eagerness to learn, which brought a smile to Valery's face as she greeted her Padawan with a bow of her head.
"Good morning, Iris." Valery began.
"As I'm sure you understand, we're here to begin your lightsaber training. A long time ago, teaching the Forms was my primary job, and with all my students, I started with a simple question that I'd like you to think about as well."
She paused for a moment.
"Why must a Jedi learn to use a lightsaber?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Had Valery Noble Valery Noble not been the one to save her from the slavers, Iris never would of had an answer. A lightsaber was a weapon, used to kill. That's what she thought. Through her brief time in the temple she assumed she could get around ever having to use one. Help people in other ways. But where the Dark was in all hearts and minds, to think she'd never be in a fight or have to step up to defend those who couldn't was naïve.

"To be a shield for those who can't fight." Iris nodded once, standing much straighter. This wasn't just a philosophical topic to her.

bWMGgIz.png
Valery smiled warmly at the answer - it showed both the fact that Jedi fought to protect others, and that Jedi are their core were defenders. Not aggressors. Although with Valery's specific work as a Shadow, this didn't always apply.
"Very good, Iris," she said with a nod.
"But as I'm sure you can understand, to be a shield for others, you must first be able to protect yourself. You must be in control of your weapon - the lightsaber is dangerous and not forgiving if you make mistakes."
"For that reason, we'll be starting your training with Shii-Cho, the first form of lightsaber combat. Have you heard anything about it before? If so, what can you tell me about it?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris's gaze drifted to the training saber in her hand. Having seen what Valery Noble Valery Noble could do with a real one, the Padawan understood just how dangerous of a weapon it could be. Her grip tightened on the weapon for a moment before she blinked. Oh. Right. The lesson. She tilted her head curiously as her gaze flicked back up to her master. "Um, no? Should I have?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery shook her head, "Oh no, I was simply curious." the woman said with a gentle smile.
"But as I mentioned, Shii-Cho is the first Lightsaber Form and quite ideal to begin your path of training with the blade. I'll mostly go over the basics today, and I'll structure it in such a way that I hope you gain a good understanding that you can use to practice with." Valery explained. The brunette seemed rather excited to teach like this again - as Battlemaster of her old Enclave, she taught daily but she hasn't had much of a chance after her awakening from stasis.
"Since this is a beginner lesson, I'll start with the History and leave some details regarding its alternative names out. But Shii-Cho, which I call its traditional name, is also known as the Determination Form and the Way of the Sarlacc."
"Shii-Cho was created during the time when Jedi transitioned away from the ancient metal blades to the early versions of the lightsaber. These weapons were called Protosabers and unlike current lightsabers, required their users to carry a belt-mounted battery pack that was attached to the hilt through a power chord."
"This design inherently limited the options for those using them but since the form was created prior to the emergence of the first Dark Jedi and Sith, there was no innate focus on lightsaber dueling. Blasters weren’t in widespread use either yet, resulting in a form that held no design characteristics to specifically deal with either one of these weapons."
"Instead, through its simplistic nature and the traits inherited from the ancient sword styles, it became a form that instructed Jedi at the time about control over their new weapons. Around the time of the Second Great Schism, however, Form II would be established, and it proved to be one that countered Shii-Cho perfectly in the art of lightsaber combat."
"For many, this shifted the purpose of Shii-Cho away from being the only option for dueling to a form meant more for instruction. However, the Form would still be useful to fall back on when all others failed and in its more advanced form, it offers its practitioners useful options in lightsaber combat. For example, Shii-Cho focuses on disarming, rather than lethal strikes."
"So with the History covered, why do you think I'm teaching it to you as your first lesson?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Ah, right. Iris smiled as she listened to Valery Noble Valery Noble explain.. Quite a bit. There was always a lot to learn. Still, she listened, even if it was reaching the point of overwhelming lore dump for the younger girl. The history of the style, it's purpose. They were all important. As much as she struggled to focus on everything her Master was saying, she didn't want to miss a thing.

Then a question for her. She blinked in surprise, not expecting a question so soon.

"Because it's the form most people start with?" Valery had said so herself, so why was it a question? No, she never asked questions that she'd already answered. Iris shook her head, falling into thought to try and think of the answer. The real answer.

".. Because I don't want to hurt people."

bWMGgIz.png
Valery remained quiet while Iris thought about the question. In a way, Valery had answered it already, but she asked the question so Iris was forced to think about it. This way, the girl would truly understand the answer, and thus why this part of her training was so important.
When she finally gave her answer, Valery nodded.
"That's right. With Shii-Cho, you learn how to be in control of your weapon. Without it, you'd be a risk to yourself and those around you, allies included." Valery explained. "If you want to help others, you must be fully in control. Both emotionally, as we covered with the Code, as well as physically with your lightsaber."
The woman then paused for a moment. "Now, after the History, I cover what I refer to as the Philosophy of a Form. It captures its nature and various important aspects of the Form. Typically, this stems directly from the History."
"With Shii-Cho’s primary task as a form of instruction, it quickly became the form to teach young Jedi about control over their weapons and themselves. Its focus on simplicity allows Jedi to get used to their weapons so they can later attempt more advanced styles and techniques whilst being in control of themselves in the heat of battle."
"To successfully advance in these aspects, Jedi must show that they possess the discipline required to learn and understand the core aspects of the form and practice its movements and bladework. Therefore, the third pillar of Self-discipline plays a crucial role in Shii-Cho, especially because it’s typically the first form Jedi advance in."
Furthermore, the Philosophy of Shii-Cho is one of determination, both within its technique and the mindset of its users. The simplistic and raw nature of the form can often pull one towards deliberate, lethal actions but as mentioned before, the form teaches Self-control so, despite this pull, the goal of Shii-Cho is to disarm without causing significant injuries.
"An important quote about this Form is: Victory without injury."
"Any questions about this?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

There were a lot of words, and it was obvious that Valery Noble Valery Noble was reaching the usually aloof girl's limit in focus. She tried, at least, to focus on what was being said. To store the knowledge in her mind so she could remember it. But she had a limit. The smile she had turned more and more nervous the longer Valery spoke. Was she supposed to remember everything?

"An important quote about this Form is: Victory without injury."

Her focus returned at that. Victory without injury. She nodded once.

"How do you achieve victory without injury?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery chuckled at the question - it was the perfect one to ask in her opinion. During her time with the old Enclave, students often viewed Shii-Cho as the overly simplistic instructional Form they had to learn, and then rarely touch again. Few studied the Form more extensively in those days of the Old Republic.
"There is something that we call the Marks of Contact - there are few of them, and each one explains a particular way of striking another person with a lightsaber. Some are lethal, others are not." she began. "Shii-Cho users will always attempt to use the Sun Djem mark of contact — often called the disarming slash in this Form — which is striking the weapon of the opponent to either destroy it or remove it from their hand."
"So if successful, you disarm the opponent and thereby end the fight without injury."
Valery then paused a moment.
"It is important to understand, however, that disarming an opponent is very difficult, sometimes impossible. As a Jedi, you must make realistic choices, and always try to minimize the damage you do to an opponent. But sometimes, damage or even a lethal strike can't be avoided. So while I encourage you to use a Sun Djem when possible, never believe it to be a solution to all situations."
"Does this make sense?"
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris nodded. She did understand, for once. What Valery Noble Valery Noble was saying usually took her a moment to wrap her head around, if only because she wasn't used to having an actual conversation. But this? To know the difference between saving a life and risking her own, to prioritize protecting life. It's all she wanted to do. A faint smile formed as she gripped the training saber tighter, watching her master.

"When do I start learning how to use it?"

bWMGgIz.png
Valery smirked at the girl's desire to want to start practicing, "We start right now," she said before offering the girl a blindfold. Valery was very much used to the traditional way of developing basic Shii-Cho skills, so this is where they were going to start before covering the Ideal Form.
"Lightsaber combat is fast-paced, and often highly unpredictable. You can't always trust your vision, hearing, or sense of smell - but you can trust the Force. We're going to start with a basic drill to practice this." Valery explained.
"Once you put on the blindfold, I will signal my training droid to fire practice bolts. They only sting a little if they hit, so no reason to worry. But I'd like you to bring your lightsaber into defensive guards to block them. Trust the Force and let it guide you because your vision will not."
Valery then circled around her Padawan and continued.
"First, your stance. Bring your feet a shoulder-width apart, dominant foot drawn back. Take your weapon in both hands and hold it in front of you, the dominant hand above the other. Only when you stand strong, ignite the blade and angle it at about 45 degrees up and forward," Valery explained step-by-step while she observed, and stood ready to shift around her Padawan's feet or arms.
"When you're ready, the droid will fire."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Iris blinked. She glanced between what Valery Noble Valery Noble had in hand, what the master was saying, what she was supposed to be doing. Again she was starting to feel overwhelmed by the information being slung out. She followed the directions as best she could, but this was.. Much too formal for her. She was the farthest thing from relaxed. Even as she nodded, trying to be as ready as she could, the first shot immediately hit her dead on.

Hell, her attempt to deflect the shot came after it'd already hit her.

She winced, stumbling back a step. And.. Didn't do any better. She was too rigid, too focused on trying to use everything Valery had said.

bWMGgIz.png
Valery watched the girl after she initially moved into her stance, but she was rigid. The first bolts came and Iris looked anything but ready to handle it. As she stumbled back, Valery walked over and moved behind the girl. Her voice grew softer, calmer and she'd attempt to guide her Padawan through.
"This exercise is about trusting what you feel through the Force - those colors you always see," Valery said. "Clear your mind and focus only on that."
The woman took a step back and looked over Iris' stance again, noting it wasn't perfect but she couldn't overwhelm the girl too much. She remembered the Jedi Code lesson and conversations they've had - one step at a time was the best approach.
"When this little probe droid flows around you, what do you feel? What goes through you when its blaster powers up? It may take a moment to notice, but try to focus on just that. Not the history, not the Sun Djem or anything else. Just the Force and how it makes you feel."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Just the Force. How it felt.

Or, in Iris's case, how it looked. The colors always flowed around her, but what was different? She stopped backpedaling, letting Valery Noble Valery Noble 's voice guide her. The colors continued their flow, then.. A change. Just before the droid fired. A subtle darkening to the otherwise bright colors. Then the shot. She still got hit, but she saw it. Well. 'Saw' it. She smiled bright, even as the bolt still stung.

The next shot her blade moved to catch. Her form was terrible, but she still deflected the shot. Pride welled in her chest. "Haha! Master! Did you see? I blocked it!"

bWMGgIz.png
Following her instruction, she watched as another bolt struck her Padawan, but this time was very different from the first hit she took. Iris was much calmer, and she could feel confidence rising in the girl. So Valery chose to remain quiet and allowed Iris to ease into it, and moments later another bolt came.
Deflected.
"Very good, Iris," Valery chuckled and smiled proudly at her Padawan.
"Now, let's do the same thing but we make sure you stand strong." Valery walked over and gently tapped the girl on the leg until it had shifted into proper spacing. The most important part of any combative stance was the placement of the feet - it was the foundation.
To further emphasize this, Valery signaled her little droid to slowly move around Iris, at a steady pace so she could track it. Now alongside her trust in the Force, her feet would have to stand just right, or she'd risk tripping over them.
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

Trusting the Force was an easier thing for Iris to learn than the placement of her feet. Even with Valery Noble Valery Noble 's guidance, the moment the droid moved her stance mostly fell apart. She turned, twisted, followed the flow. There was something easier for her about this. How the colors worked for her, the deep connection she had with the Force, things just seemed.. Natural.

Putting it in motion was a different thing entirely.

It'd take time, a lot more than Iris would like to admit later on, but slowly and surely she'd get a better understanding on what was going on. Hours would tick by. Iris neither wanted to stop nor give up. This was.. Calming. In a way she didn't expect. Several more stings, a couple missteps, and a near fumble of the training saber from her hands. But she was getting it. Learning.

bWMGgIz.png
Valery admired Iris' perseverance. Whenever the young Padawan wasn't getting distracted and really set her mind to something, she had an almost unbeatable determination to get it right. It was obvious in her art, but even with this lightsaber combat lesson, she paid no attention to the time, the effort, and the mistakes she made.
She never gave up.
Because of this, it would only be a matter of time before she could consistently defend herself against the droid, all without being able to use her eyes. She was guided by the Force.
"Very good, Iris," Valery said with a soft smile.
"The last portion of this lesson covers basic sparring using the Ideal Form of Shii-Cho. If you want to keep going, we can practice some more. It's very little theory, but I understand if you may be a little tired."
F7r9prE.png

Living In Color
Codex Judge

Iris_Sig.png

In the weave of following the Force's guidance Iris was able to further contemplate what Valery Noble Valery Noble had spoken earlier. Between each strike she slowly processed what was said, shifted her pose. Took everything she'd learned bit by bit to further balance herself. When the training was seemingly done Iris lifted up the blindfold, glancing towards her master with that wide smile. She'd accomplished something. Something to truly start her path as a Jedi.

"Can we keep going?" She was tired. Her arms felt heavy. Yet she still smiled, even as she gulped down air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom