Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Why are Blades counted as kinetic?

So, factory sub damage types are split up strangely imo.

Kinetic damage counts for stuff like both slugthrowers, but also blunt weapons AND bladed weapons. The history nerd in me has to question why, when building armor for something with a blade is a very different prospect to building armor built to protect against bullets or hammers.
Should there be a distinction made, or am I just overthinking?

it was simplified and reduced. Piercing, Slashing, blunt force could be treated like dump stats to get free points. Same way when there are multiple energy types the judges will say they fall under energy itself. It was just put all together for the ones who were using it to make min/maxed items.

That's a little frustrating for someone who plays a character who specializes in slashing weapons outside of just lightsabers. I don't usually care to min-max, as I'm one of those players who just wanna play fun characters and give them cool stuff that matches said character. Jonyna carries around two katanas, and it feels like every character I come across has a set of armor that is basically immune to kinetic damage, even when it's made of the equivalent of fancy leather.

nothing in the factory has won a battle... it looks fancy, it can look strong but the real strength comes down to the writing.

and you haven't seen some of the crazy things that were allowed with event tech cause that stuff was allowed to be immune purely based on how rare and hard it was to come by.

I personally think a nice Blunt, Slash, pierce DMG Type would be good. Not fleshed out to much just use real world Equal
Blunt=Good all rounder but best for heavy armor
Pierce=Good and effective at Pressure point DMG, and decent on Medium armor
Slash= Effective at flesh and light armor
Of course I know that everything is counted in the writing of any fight that these effects would have, But for Melee weapons that are NOT lightsabers why not use these? Yes I know people can use these as "Free points" But why not require them in non plasma biased melee weapons, Like swords or maces

The history nerd in me has to question why,
A fellow History nerd, Nice

ᴛʜᴇ ɢɪʀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ ɢᴜɴ
I believe it has more to do with modern body armor than old fashioned plate?

So- soft body armor rated for some smaller rounds exists, one of the drawbacks being that a knife isn't fast enough to harden the gel while stabbing it, so it slips through. I think the idea here is that the factory leaves room for further customization in that- you can specify if your armor covers all kinetic damage or just ballistics.

I could be completely wrong about the reasoning, but i do know that you can be pretty in depth with damage\protection values if you want

As for weapons, if you have something that is specifically piercing, you can specify what strength armor it can pierce using a metal as a base. Such as it can pierce durasteel and lesser materials, etc.

Long Ago in a Distant Land...I, Hibin, the Resistance Annoyer of Darkness, Unleashed an Unspeakable List!

Jokes aside, this been a debate since the dawn of the site. A few years back, there was a large debate over what was considered a good resistance versus a bad resistance. I won't post the list that made it into the Bad Section...it was really that bad and much longer than the approved section. I go to this list when I question a few things and I generally point to it as well.

Regardless, it seems there is a bit of issue so I present, the resistance list.

• Energy
  • Kinetic
  • Force/Mechu-Deru (Substitute for the first if wished, prevents Force Tech hacking)
  • EMP/Ion
  • Electrical
  • Lightsabers
  • Extreme Heat (Flames) (Elemental)
  • Extreme Cold (Cyro) (Elemental)
  • Disruptors
  • Sonic
  • Radiation
  • Vacuum/Pressure
  • Acid/Corrosion
  • Vibro
  • Paddle Beams/Stun
  • Tensor
While most armor I seen has been Kinetic strong, most say something about exposed armor chinks in it. Think of that for fighting. Otherwise, this list is probably a definitive list of strange yet useful resistances for armor. Any questions on it, just poke me here.

Jonyna Si Jonyna Si Tae'l Vizsla Tae'l Vizsla Sahan Dragr Sahan Dragr Damion Dorian Tarkin Damion Dorian Tarkin Junko Ike Junko Ike

I admit, I stopped using Mechu-deru as a dump stat a while back after a judge told me not to. However, I did include it in a recent submission of mine as a "boost" stat since I wanted to have that specific resistance. I've also used G-Force as a resistance stat for a pilot droid model I made. Ultimately, I feel like it just depends on how the stats are being used within the context of the submission, I think.

I admit, I stopped using Mechu-deru as a dump stat a while back after a judge told me not to. However, I did include it in a recent submission of mine as a "boost" stat since I wanted to have that specific resistance. I've also used G-Force as a resistance stat for a pilot droid model I made. Ultimately, I feel like it just depends on how the stats are being used within the context of the submission, I think.
The way MANIAC explained it to me once, "dump" stats can't be used when the average would be none anyway. And it also depends on whether or not it makes sense. Saying none of Mechu-Deru usually wouldn't make sense, because that's normal for most things. But if it's less than normal for some reason (like less kinetic resistance due to being more brittle), then it makes sense. Or it could have no disruptor resistance, bc most things do have some inherent resistance, even if it's just how long it takes to get through the material lol. But a none would get through easily, much easier than normal. Maybe even instantly. That's my understanding, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom