Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whose Bun Is It?

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

While Kaile marveled at the mystics and miracles of life Kurt played Pazaak. He had borrowed a deck from one of the engineers, a portly fellow whom he promised half of his winnings to. The deck wasn't the best thing Kurt had ever played with, but Pazaak was about as much about the cards as it was the other player.

"Ooo." Kurt said as the man hit again. "Sure you wanna do that? 16 is pretty decent."

The man scowled at Kurt.

"YEAH I'M SURE, I'm DRAWING AGAIN!"

The man's voice boomed through the hangar deck, tensions running rather high. The man drew another card, then flipped it a +5. "Ouch, bad lucky buddy."

Kurt said in as he took another pot.

Marvels and miracles of life had repercussions. For now, life went by day by day. Sullust wasn't the most comfortable of places, but it was a place where Kaile could at the very least get the care she required.

That day was just the start of the entire convoluted mess that would be a harrowing chapter of their lives. A day that would turn into precious weeks full of tension, stress, quiet conversations filled with doubt and worry. Sleep became more of an escape as a necessity, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel. An answer to the big question that would at the very least, give the pair the knowledge on what would come of the future. On where it placed them both and how it affected all parties involved.

But it was an answer that at the very least Kaile could give Kurt that would hopefully settle things. One way or another.

She did, after all, want the best for him.

Even if at the same time her heart was breaking.
wVvoJkT.png

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"Are you..." He broke his voice slightly as he and Kaile sat in the living room of The Messa, Kaile having handed him a small piece of paper that he had in all honesty been waiting for. His fingers rumpled the edges slightly. "Are you sure? Is this accurate?"

It had to be, right?

Science, from Kurt's experience, was rarely wrong when it came to these matters. Tests were usually accurate and well...this was goodnews, wasn't it? He frowned slightly and shifted, looking up at Kaile with a half smile, half frown. He wasn't entirely sure...he wasn't entirely sure yet though. Maybe it was some trick of the force, maybe not. He knew that Kaile would never lie to him, knew that she wouldn't fake something like this, but he still wanted to make sure. "You know it's okay if it isn't."

Kurt told her.

"No matter what you're not going anywhere." His hand released the paper and grabbed her hand, they were both shaking. "This is home."

Kurt said, repeating the very words he'd told her just a few weeks ago. "This will always be home."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Being a Lorrdian meant you could see every emotion shift and move with even the slightest amount of movement. There was the elation, the shock, the wariness, and then the concern that went rippling over a face she'd come to know so well. There wasn't a spot on Kurt Meyer's body that Kaileann didn't know with intimate familiarity, and maybe that was why she took a few seconds to answer the probing question he followed so soon with.

A wan smile lingered over Kaile's lips. A quiet nod. He meant it. Kaile knew she did. However, in the past few weeks, seeing how he'd taken to everything, to how things were, to seeing the utterly depressed state he'd be in made the strawberry blonde into a realist. Funny how it took one pregnancy to make her grow up. At twenty-eight, one figures that she'd have done that a long while ago. And things were not so easy. Kaile's life was going to change, one way or another. This was good. This was right. It was the answer Kurt wanted and the answer Kurt would have.

Command had been briefed. Now she had to stay here to figure out what to do. That would keep her busy, keep her from thinking. From dwelling. From letting her mind take her to places where it shouldn't. It only hurt more.

"Reckon you can go send Jamie a wave now. Tell her alls right and all."

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

It would have been a lie to say that Kurt wasn't elated, but it didn't mean that everything was suddenly fixed. There were still problems that needed to be worked out, Jamie would still be mad, and most important of all, Kaile was still having a kid. Even if it wasn't his child, even if he wasn't it's father, she was still his best friend. To Kurt that meant something, and knowing that Kaile didn't have any family of her own, that he was the only one she had...well that gave him a sense of duty above everything else.

"I will." He would, probably as soon as he could, but there was no telling when he could see her, no telling if she even would see him. He had tried talking to her...had tried sending her a message, but...well it hadn't gone so well. "I will."

He repeated again quietly. "But what about you?"

Kaile wasn't just forgotten.

"What about..." Kurt looked at her tummy. "Does he know?"

Kurt of course wasn't referring to the baby there, but rather the other man that had been in Kaile's life. He had tried not to ask too many questions, probably because he was too consumed in his own life. He was selfish that way, something he couldn't deny.

That wan smile froze. Emotions went fluttering over Kaile's face only to wrap up in what could only be considered as carefully set expression.

It was strange hearing him even ask. The last time had been just in passing, but Kurt had been too involved in his own hurt to really press the issue. Something Kaile had appreciated at length. It wasn't as if Kurt didn't mean well. He had his reasons as did she. Just that hearing him vocalize it made Kaile think back. Sixteen weeks did pass by quick.

"The 'verse is a big place, Kurt, " she whispered, and firmly. Well attempted to anyways.

"Gonna take things one at a time now." sounded responsible right? Perhaps. Or something Kaile was trying to tell herself based on decision's she'd already made a long while ago.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

He frowned for a moment. That approach would work for a time...but...well it wouldn't hold in the long run. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she likely didn't want to talk about him, and thus Kurt wouldn't push the issue...at least for now.

"Alright." He said quietly. "But we need to make a plan."

Kurt told her quietly. They had been taking it easy as of late with missions, SIS command had been updated and everything had been...well somewhat smooth sailing, but it was still only the beginning of all of this. "Let me holomail my mom. Ask her what to do."

Probably not what Kaile wanted to hear.

"I'm not a genius." A self evident truth. "But I know that some stuff has to change for a pregnant woman. We can get you better food, more tea, nicer pillows. We still have some of the money left over from that Core job."

Kurt glanced at the hot tub. "We can get that thing working so you're comfortable."

It was pretty clear that Kurt felt...relieved about his own situation and was now more focused on Kaile's comfort. As if some odd weight had been lifted off his shoulders and without that weight he could now...well do what he should have been doing all along.

His sudden change of demeanour was amusing as it was a bit startling.

"Why?" she interjected, not quite sure why he'd want to contact her. The alarm was back to her expression, her eyes widening.

"There ain't no need to." I don't want to be a bother. Four months since she'd seen them last, and even then, Kaile still felt awful about the entire situation.

Not to mention, she still had to figure out what to do about SIS and where it would place her.

"I can't just leave." she told him, shaking her head.

"There's things I gotta take care of here. My job. What I'll be doing." a paycheck was a paycheck, and if she wasn't being an undercover agent, well that left very little choice on how to make endsmeet.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"She can help!" Kurt insisted. "She had to deal with me."

His mother had been the best mom, still was in fact. "She won't be bothered, she'll be more than happy to help."

Kurt didn't want to overwhelm Kaile.

"I didn't say we had to leave." Sullust was...well it wasn't the greatest place, but Kurt wouldn't be going anywhere without Kaile, and if she had to stay here then he would stay as well. He would find something to do with himself. "I'll work out deal with one of the Hangar crews..."

He made a note in his head to speak to Eddie the Gearhead. "We just need to make sure you're comfortable. The Messa isn't exactly prime luxury and those barracks suck ass."

Kurt shifted. "Just a few things. You can still work."

Just not in the field.

"Yeah but..." her voice broke, and Kaileann appeared uncomfortable all over again. She didn't want to bother anyone, much the less end up on the wrong side of that conversation. Kaile respected and liked Kurt's parents, even if she'd only met them once. Seeing how she'd left still didn't sit right with her and it bothered her something fierce.

"I don't know. Ain't like there is a transitional program for espions getting pregnant."

A sigh fell from her lips. Nervousness prompted the woman to run her fingers through her strawberry blonde hair.

"Granted I guess I could go undercover waitressing again..."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"Only if it's not dangerous." Kurt said simply. There was no way he was letting Kaile get near anything dangerous, not when she was pregnant. That was...well that was just foolish. He shifted slightly and then gave Kaile a serious look.

"If you try doing something dangerous." Kurt said simply. "I will sit on you."

It was that simple.

Kurt wouldn't let Kaile get hurt. It was as simple as that.

"We'll figure out the money situation, we always do." That was whatever, and if Kaile wanted to keep being a spy...well then they would figure that out too, as long as it was safe. She wouldn't get hurt on his watch.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

It was strange seeing him like this. Kaile even gave him a probing look, as if unsure of what exactly she was seeing. By far it was the most he had actually spoken in weeks. Oh, it wasn't to say that he didn't mind her and took care of her before, it was just that he spent his time stressing out on his own. Unable to process things. Guess people handle it in different ways. Just that for Kaile, the shut out, even if he didn't mean it, made it worse.

"I'll be fine, really," she assured him, coming to her feet. Hands that couldn't stay still went to smooth the line of her shirt. Bobo had taken to being with her all the time again. He had an intrinsic sense that Kaileann was going through quite the emotional upheaval, so the little ysalamir took to cuddling her and nuzzling her when he could. He had really been a rock of affection for the woman.

"And you won't sit on me," she told him, padding over towards the galley. Already craving tea and with a tiny noticeable bump under her shirt, the woman had taken to interesting, and odd cravings.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"Okay you're probably right about that." It would hurt the baby, the direct opposite of what Kurt was trying to accomplish now that he had this weight off his shoulders. He watched her as she moved towards the counter, the Galley being only a few feet from where the Living room was.

"Look Kaile." Kurt began. "I know that you have an inability to think about yourself."

It was true. "You're one of the best people I've ever known in my entire life."

Perhaps that wasn't much given that Kurt came from a planet that he had been born on Tatooine, a planet that most described as 'The greatest hive of villainy and scum' in the entire galaxy, but hey Kurt had met a lot of people in his life.

"I'm pretty sure if you had the wealth of Danger Arceneau you'd give it away." The complement was a serious one. "But you're not just sacrificing yourself to make other people happy now. Let me make you more comfortable, as much as I can while we're here at least."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

He'd find her getting on her tippy toes to pull a tin of tea from one of the cupboards. A mug came down, and Kaile set it on he counter, all the while, Kurt went on to say what was on his mind.

"And I'm grateful for it," she added, turning to look at him through the tangled mess of strawberry blonde hair. As always, she left it in a messy topknot at the crown of her head, and little wisps came down to tickle her cheeks with every shift of her neck.

"But you've been here for some time now. You have a job of your own you gotta do couriering." which was true. If Kaile wasn't working, they weren't getting her stipend. And if they weren't getting her stipend and Kurt wasn't working -- or getting the benefits of being an asset -- then they were flat broke.

"You gotta think of that."

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"I know." Money would be tight. Sure the funds from the Core delivery would last them another few weeks, but eventually they would have to do something. The SIS wouldn't just put them up for free, that would be difficult for them to justify. They had to do something, and that meant...well he wasn't sure what that meant.

"We'll figure it out." He told her. "We'll get money somehow."

In his head he began to work through several options of what he could do to earn money. There was always doing more deliveries, but...well that meant putting Kaile at risk both while on the job or leaving her back home. They didn't really have a place to put her except...well here which was shit, or back on Tatooine where Kaile didn't want to go. That didn't really leave that as an option. He could always get a different job, but his skills were few and far inbetween. "You're not leaving The Messa."

Kurt put his foot down.

"This is your home. This is where you're most comfortable. I'll figure something out." Hangar fees and fuel be damned.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

"Kurt you can't afford it!" she cried out, turning to face him with an exasperated expression on her face. Her hands came down to her sides, and she gestured around the Messa.

"It don't make sense for me to stay here when it's hindering your own living." in more ways than one, but Kaile already felt as if she was more of a strain and bother to the pilot than a boon. For certain the Messa was tight with just them both, but imagine with a baby?

"I can stay here, figure out what to do in the meantime." it made the most sense to her. Not to mention she figured that also let him be able to go on and look for Jamie and do right by her. Ain't no one wanting to be the third wheel in anything lest that was the fun intention, to begin with. But with the little Kaile had picked up from Kurt and everything in between, doubtful she'd be keen on anything of the sort. Kurt's reaction and the way he moped around was evident enough for that.

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

"It doesn't matter if I can't afford it!" Kurt raised his voice, perhaps for the first time...ever, while talking to Kaile. "You're my friend. I'm not leaving you on this fucking dirtball of a planet where the air itself can choke you."

He leaned forward and cupped his face. "Not when you don't have anyone else here."

For a moment Kurt rubbed his face. He had to think. He didn't have that many skills, he didn't even really have...well anything at all. He could pilot well, shoot a blaster better than most, and...well that was really it. The only Assets he had were his pod-racer back home, The Coil, and of course The Messa. It was a meager lot of possessions, but he was proud enough of them. His foot tapped rapidly for a moment, fingers furling and unfurling.

"I'll..." He paused for a moment. "I'll figure it out Kaile. I'll get another job, work with the Alliance, something, but you're not leaving The Messa. This is your home."

He repeated his words again.

Kaile's eyes went wide at Kurt raising his voice. But the surprise was quickly replaced by another wave of emotion as Kurt appeared visibly frustrated by it all. He ran his hand through the scruff of his jaw and hair, musing it more into sharp tuffs as it spiked up.

But it was true. Kaile didn't have anyone else. Nothing saves her job, and now that was on the line. What else could she do? Four months pregnant and wondering what to do and where to go.

Her eyes grew moist again, and she gave a sniff. Actually, why was she becoming such an annoying watering pot lately? Such a silly ninny. Didn't help matters when her hormones were going from one extreme to the next and it just was one hot and bothered sleepless night after the other.

"Alright." but it was a weak reply, still unsure.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Kaileann Vera"]

He would have to think.

There was bound to be something he could do for the Alliance, something that they would want him for. He wasn't the best, not by a long shot, but...well he was undeniably good. Perhaps they would let him fly somewhere if he asked. It'd be dangerous, but...maybe it was his turn to do something like that for Kaile. She was constantly sacraficing herself for him, constantly putting herself in harms way for one thing or another. He could try not being selfish.

"I will figure it out." Kurt said as he stood and wandered up to Kaile.

His arms embraced her in a hug.

"Maybe they'll take me as a pilot." Governments always needed more pilots. "I could apply to the flight academy as a teacher."

It was meant to be a joke more than anything else.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

That made her laugh. Maybe that's why Kurt had said it, to begin with. Her shoulders shook with the short laughter, sputtering as her hand came up to rub the moisture from her eyes.

"Don't think you'll like being a teacher much, Kurt," she told him, shaking her head. A weak smile then shone up at him a second later. A little wobbly, but at least there.

"And you said you don't want to go back to that." being a pilot in a government. She knew how he felt after working with the Republic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom