Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to start?

I'm having a tough time starting this character. I love his concept and the plans I have for him, but I have three crucial dilemma's:

1.) I don't like this guys name. How do you come up with names for characters you haven't fully imagined?
2.) I don't particularity like this guys back story, but it'll do in a pinch. Is there anything you could suggest for it?
3.) Where would you suggest I start out IC? How do you choose a planet for your first RP?

Normally I'm pretty good at these sorts of things but it just isn't coming to me as easily this time, and I'm kinda curious how other people's creations are spawned. So reveal to me all of your secrets! :)

Sounds like perhaps your character was a bit rushed and needs a bit more time to simmer before serving.

Flashpan ideas are great and fun, but I find that they often burn out fast. Why? Because the forethought to them is lacking. Some of my favorite characters to write spent years in the making, floating around in my brain and allowing ideas to attach and detach themselves as they came and went. I personally keep a running list of names I like and haven't used. Ideas for characters. Old bios of old chars that I maybe lost interest in before but might be able to revamp for a new, better version.

A sign that your char is a flashpan face: you don't even like the name you chose for it.

So let's assess your idea.

You like the possibility of a character centralized around alchemy and specific skills within that craft. Go back to what spurned this inspiration first. Was it a book? A tv show? A movie? Perhaps someone else's character? Re-read, re-experience, let the inspiration come back to you. Write down some of those ideas as they return, and any new ones that occur.

Here's the next step, and it's really the most important: set that list aside and don't look at it for a day or so. Come back to it with a fresh mind and see what still grabs your interest. If the same things keep coming back and keep jumping out at you, then you know for certain that they're the ones to go with.

Silencia went through several itterations and versions. She began as a comic character created by one of my friends in high school. I was the artist of the comic and I loved the concept of the mute character and the name, so when the comic died I borrowed the idea for myself and just began doodling pictures of her in different settings. Eventually she settled on a Sith version that I went back to time and time again. The idea of her being mute stuck. The flame-pointed hair stuck. The egyptian theme stuck, so I rolled with it. I started her young, and with the help of several old RP friends shaped her backstory. From there she transformed to Sith Knight and then eventually Sith Master.

My other favorite long-standing character, Quietus, began in a similar manner. I think the thing that helped me the most is that I also started her very young and allowed the story to mold and shape her into what she is today. I may not write either of them much anymore, but I have deeply enjoyed their stories. So I supposed my biggest advice to you is to start with the idea that really, really sticks and resonates with you and allow it to develop naturally. Perhaps it might not become what you initially envisioned, but I guarantee you'll enjoy the journey.

Edison Bulkhead

E
Everything above is brilliant. I'll add that I try to find both short and long-term goals for my character when I first create them. For Edison, I fell in love with the idea of the Force power of Beast Control and the Spiderclan from the Witches of Dathomir, and worked my way backwards from there to include a broken Dathomir lineage, a mother that was bought for money, and "runt of the litter" status. I also try to give characters weaknesses that can be exploited, or at least provide opportunities for roleplay. Have a long-term plan for your character, really figuring out what they want right now and what you think they want later, will help shape your character, the faction you may choose, and the RPs you want to be involved with. When it goes really well, you find your character's voice and it tells you what it wants to do, and you just hang on for the ride.

I think I took your advice to heart! Both of you. I am much more pleased with this character now. Basically, he is going to be an Alchemical Creation of Voracitos... That can only engage in Alchemy because he is a corruptive force with no other attributes

Boke said:
1.) I don't like this guys name. How do you come up with names for characters you haven't fully imagined?

Most of my character names are drawn from myths, legends, folklore, and literature. Nessarose is the name of the Wicked Witch of the East in the book "Wicked". Her sister, Morgaine, is named after Morgana laFay, from Arthurian legends. Her future daughter (haven't brought her to Chaos) is called Scheherezade, after Arabian Nights. Brumhilda, named after Brynhilde, from Nordic Mythology. And so on and so on :)

Boke said:
3.) Where would you suggest I start out IC? How do you choose a planet for your first RP?
Open an OOC thread and offer people to thread with you. Let them pick the planet until you get a feel for the board and its natural/unatural flow.

Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom