Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what makes star wars ,star wars in your opinion

I've been a huge fan of star wars for a long time ever since i was younger watching the infamous prequel trilogies (which i actually love ) @ me but actually gave me an appreciation of the sci fi genre. The amount of time and effort that must have been put into making each set and effect hours upon hours of cinematography and editing must've been excruciating but its all for the fans no doubt. But the thing for me which makes star wars , star wars is the backgrounds the aliens the worlds the locations all iconic and easy to tell apart , can you imagine how many eyes lit up when people first saw the Mos Eisley Cantina scene everyone thought wow look at this detailed place with all these stories to tell which were sadly lost to legends but we have the New trilogy the force awakens and the upcoming The last jedi which i hope don't take to much from empire strikes back but nvm. they say its going to have more creatures and aliens then tfa i hope we get some familiar faces in the aliens department not saying i dislike the new aliens, makes sense different part of the galaxy new faces but ya know i can't be the only one who wants to see a basic twi lek or rodian on the big screen again . I want to see a different place which is totally not reminiscent of the originals i just want the new trilogies to do their own thing confidently.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I'm a sucker for opinion pieces. :p

I enjoy Star Wars for it's centerpieces of good vs evil. I enjoyed Luke's journey to save his father first and foremost. A galactic war in the middle. It was a grand fable. One of the better ones and wonderfully at home to free peoples everywhere too. I think the better parts of Star Wars age very well also and the original trilogy is generous story worth sharing. Full of conflict, heart, and humanity too. An excellent addition to any cinematic bookshelf. Even in 2017. :)

Star Wars is the premier science-fantasy story in America, and probably the world. It's knights and wizards and lost heirs and tyrant empires and warrior princesses IN SPACE. That's why I love it. I love the ridiculousness. I love the blind master joining the doomed rebellion to slay a huge, mechanical dragon. I love the iron-clad barbarians kicking unholy ass across the galaxy with no need of your silly space magic. I love all the enchanted swords, legendary weapons of status and glory that can bring hope to even the most broken child. I love how we're never expected to ask why something works, since all of the ridiculous tech is a backdrop for the epic drama unfolding before us.

Along the lines of what Fabula stated, people too often judge Star Wars as a straight Sci-Fi saga. It's a Space Opera, which feeds off of the entertainment of the most ridiculous ideas. When you think "A whole planet with one biome doesn't make sense", that is sort of the point. It's like your favourite Flash Gordon or comic brought to life again.

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
[member="Max Fel"] While I don't know what a "space opera" is, you're right that Star Wars is clearly within the realm of fantasy rather than science fiction. Of course the prequels tried to muddy the waters by introducing scientific explanations for things, like midichlorians. An example of how George Lucas fundamentally didn't understand his own creation.

To me, what made Star Wars cool was the way in which it blended mythology, cinema influences, and literary themes into something new and interesting, as well as visually stimulating. George Lucas can certainly be thanked for that. Star Wars was a cinematic gamble that paid off. It dared to be different and ultimately succeeded, and I admire that ingenuity. Unfortunately Star Wars, in my opinion, has become something entirely different from that original daring spirit which allowed it to become a cultural standard to begin with.

Where oh where do I start?

Firstly Star Wars, for me, is all about the exploration of the galaxy that has been created by George Lucas. I love seeing new planets and new species and although other Sci-Fi shows and movies have many races and planets, nothing quite compares to Star Wars.

The EU. Its what keeps me going. Although much of it is no longer canon there is so much to explore in the expanded universe. My favourite character in the Star Wars universe is Revan and my favourite story is that of Bane and the rule of two. These stories delve into the characters minds and the battles they have within themselves (something the movies have but have executed poorly). I mean who doesn't want to hear tales of a Jedi and Sith army in battle? Imagine a that in a movie, I'm drooling all over my keyboard here.

Themes. Its got everything, or at least the potential. Yes its mainly about good vs bad but within that there is so much going on, especially within the EU. I'll take the original trilogy for example, betrayal, romance, deception, prejudice, loss and the internal battle between right and wrong. This is to name but a few. Star Wars may be from a galaxy far far away but it can explore themes from our daily lives unlike anything else.

The action. Although the prequels cause much debate there is no denying the fight scenes where a thing of beauty. I will never forget the watching Anikan and Obi Wan go toe to toe with battle of the heroes belting out in the background and perfectly timed lava explosions to boot.

Finally the score. Star Wars would not be the same without the great John Williams. Music evokes so much emotion when its done as well as Star Wars and credit were credit is due George Lucas is brilliant at using the score to its full potential.

I could write so much more on this subject. There is just to much to love!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom